Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: Luxories vs. Opportunity cost of money! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2007 at 5:34pm
Biyani made a very controversial statement. he said People give to hide their guilt!
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2007 at 5:36pm
Seriously I believe charity begins at home. All of us will have some cousin, some relative, some old friend some one who wants to get his daughter married off maybe an old  servant I like giving to them instead to an unknown face.

I know many people who do not take care of their near anbd dear ones and then take the whole community to sacred places. That is a sin in my dictionary.

That is very true Basant jee. It should be a mix of both in my opinion however. To each his own.
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2007 at 5:38pm
Whenever Forbes comes out with its billionaire list, the media always comes with statements like 'Bill Gates/Warren Buffet's networth is more than the GDP of 100 poorest nations put together'. And then they follow it up with images of hungry starving children.

I guess this makes them feel very uncomfortable.
IP IP Logged
deveshkayal

Quote deveshkayal Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2007 at 5:41pm
I believe in Living Life King Size..There can be no example better than Vijay Mallya!! Earn and Spend..its as easy as this..
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett
IP IP Logged
drpatils
Groupie
Groupie

Quote drpatils Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2007 at 7:07pm
Often we tend to forget that money is side product of life not the destination.Every one wants money but happiness is our goal.
Those who have money want something else.I admire Basant Ji for not having a car although he can afford the best in country.For me display of wealth attracts attention n its consequent sequelae.
To be able to buy but not buying shows control and Thats what lacks mostly in early young life.Balance is crucial.
Otherwise there is no end to the rat race.As u grow in life, u have to accept that what u want n what u get need not be the same.

Edited by drpatils - 25/Jun/2007 at 7:13pm
The journey of thousand mile begins with single step-Chinese Proverb
IP IP Logged
tyler_durden

Quote tyler_durden Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2007 at 8:46pm
very well said sir.."Otherwise there is no end to the rat race."

i think life becomes a rat race if i am pursuing the things which i don't want, if i know what i want then i can never be a part of the rat race,

and basant ji didn't bought a car because if he spends 15 lacs to buy an accord today then he would not even get 7 lacs post 3 yrs but in stocks he can make 50-60 lacs from those 15 lacs...its not about self control...its about having different priorities....

self control would be to detach oneself fom all the worldly affairs and seek joy rather than success...
If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm.
IP IP Logged
vivekkumar_in

Quote vivekkumar_in Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2007 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by tyler_durden

its good to make money but if you cant spend it for such stupid reasons then whats the use of it.???

Buffet has written off 85% of his gigantic fortune garnished this way to charity. Is'nt it a good use ?
Often we forget there's a company behind every stock,and there's only one reason why stocks go up. Companies go from doing poorly to doing well or small companies grow to large companies.
P Lynch
IP IP Logged
deveshkayal

Quote deveshkayal Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2007 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by tyler_durden

i have observed this trend that people who make money from equities or via investment generally don't put lot of money in luxuries e.g: buffet, jhunjhunwala and basant ji ...
and where buffet finds interest is tough to identify: still living in his old house, driving old beatle, no space trips, no islands, no yachts, i think he has no interests except investing

Rakesh Jhunjunwala lives in one of the poshest area of Mumbai.He bought the apartment for 25crs and also has a Villa at Lonavala which is worth 10crs.I am sure he is driving Merc or Audi or Honda.So you cant compare him with Buffet.
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version