Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: An Ideal Mutual Fund Portfolio Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 33 Next >>
investor

Online Status: Offline
Quote investor Replybullet Posted: 31/May/2007 at 2:20pm
I think 3 years should be just abour right, because over 5 years you could be looking at a boom/bust period which was ending and the opposite phase starting...so that will not give a good picture.
I normally use 3 year CAGR returns to judge a MF(amongst other things).

I agree with the other comments on this thread - not having Reliance Growth and Magnum(either Global or Contra).

Also please take a relook at Reliance Media and Entertainment fund.
Even though we know media is going to be a hot sector, this fund lot of
duds in it and not tuned to latest happenings in the last 6-12 months.
meaning it has a lot of newspaper stocks instead of being more focussed
to television media companies. So i dont think this fund can be termed as
a "best buy" - Just having TV18 or NW18 in your port instead of using that
amuont to buy into this fund will defn give you better returns.

The market is a place where people with money meet people with experience.
The people with experience get the money while people with money get experience!
IP IP Logged
Mr. V

Quote Mr. V Replybullet Posted: 31/May/2007 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by smartcat

SBI Magnum Global Fund has done exceptionally well in the past 5 years but its ALL TIME returns is not so impressive at 16% CAGR in 13 years. Perhaps they took wrong calls early in the beginning?

SBI MFs were turned around by Sandip Sabharwal. He joined JM Financial last november and ever since the two funds managed by him (JM Equity & JM Emerging Leaders) have been outperforming the category.
IP IP Logged
deveshkayal

Quote deveshkayal Replybullet Posted: 31/May/2007 at 8:43pm

If Fund Manager quit,i will pull out my money or wait for 3 months to see how the new FM is performing.

"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett
IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 31/May/2007 at 10:13pm
Just 3 months? Deveshji, you are a very strict sir. If we both happen to join a MF as fund managers, I wouldn't want you to become my boss!

Sandip Sabharwal is a very aggressive fund manager. He is even using stock futures in some of the JM equity funds!

I personally feel that it is unfair to give full credit to fund manager for a MF's performance. Stock picking in most fund houses is through sector research, guidelines, rules etc.
IP IP Logged
deveshkayal

Quote deveshkayal Replybullet Posted: 31/May/2007 at 10:30pm
Sandip Sabharwal is a very aggressive fund manager
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with this view.I was just going through the Emerging leaders portfolio..but he is managing small amount right now.
Bombay Rayon,Sintex,Nagarjuna,Kapataru Power,Tulip IT,Bharti Shipyard,Hanung Toys,Clutch Auto,Spicejet,United Phosphorus are the top ten holdings constituting 55.77%.Mix of everything from IT to Airlines.

"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett
IP IP Logged
Mr. V

Quote Mr. V Replybullet Posted: 31/May/2007 at 10:59pm
The fact that the corpus is small is going to work in favour of him.
IP IP Logged
vivekkumar_in

Quote vivekkumar_in Replybullet Posted: 31/May/2007 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by smartcat

When looking at diversified equity fund's performance, what do you look at? 1 yr performance? 3 yrs? 5 yrs? All Time?

Typically you got to look for 5 yrs. Anybody can do well in a Bull run. You got to see how the fund handled a market downturn or a recession.

A fund that has done well in Bull run as well as protected the funds in a bear run is what you would look for if you go for mutual funds.

But this jumping MF fund managers do change the game. B'cause a amart & efficient fund manager is THE major focus on fund's performance ...

C'mon a fund can call itself a mid cap, blue chip, top 200, satellite, emerging, core whatever.. they don't stick their stock picking by that.. but the type of stock a fund holds is primarily dependent on the fund manager.

Edited by vivekkumar_in - 31/May/2007 at 11:16pm
Often we forget there's a company behind every stock,and there's only one reason why stocks go up. Companies go from doing poorly to doing well or small companies grow to large companies.
P Lynch
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 31/May/2007 at 9:26am
fund can call itself a mid cap, blue chip, top 200, satellite, emerging, core

Add smile, cry,frown to all that list. Yeh sab maal bechne ke tareke hai!
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 33 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version