Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Annual reports - Reading, Understanding and Discussing.
 The Equity Desk Forum :Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios! :Annual reports - Reading, Understanding and Discussing.
Message Icon Topic: Annual Reports.- What to look for in? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 16 Next >>
PrashantS

Online Status: Offline
Quote PrashantS Replybullet Posted: 04/Feb/2007 at 2:12pm
and y do u need it
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 04/Feb/2007 at 4:50pm
Nikhil - they are also available on BSE India website... Just put in the name or the BSE Code of the stock and click on annual reports...
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 04/Feb/2007 at 5:27pm
BSE carries RESULTS; could you post link for detailed ANNUAL REPORTS.
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 04/Feb/2007 at 6:34pm

Sorry... BSE Carries Results only... NOT Annual Reports

You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
nikhil090

Quote nikhil090 Replybullet Posted: 04/Feb/2007 at 7:35pm
Well as Peter lynch and Warren buffet says, the gold is lying out there but no body will tell you about it. You will have to find it yourself. Therefore I just want to find something which is very cheap (available for free !!) and then hold it for long. It may not be very fashionable/less profitable in this growth era but in any case it helps.
IP IP Logged
us121

Quote us121 Replybullet Posted: 31/Mar/2007 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by basant

Excellent thought. I think Vivek Sukhani is the best person to initiate a discussion on this topic.We can always chip in no doubt but if he could take the lead it could be very nice.

Are Vivek Saab,
Hum Rah dekhke baithe hain, aapse kuch sikne ke liye.
Hum engineers ke liye ye thoda current examples ke sath sikhna bahot jaruri hai.

in fact i tried to get some book from the market, which is easy to understand and with practical figures etc from the latest balance sheets, but could not find even one.

may be this thread of yours can be compiled as a book for meeting the requirement of many others as of mine.
ABILITY will get u at d top. CHARACTER will retain u at d top
IP IP Logged
Vivek Sukhani

Quote Vivek Sukhani Replybullet Posted: 31/Mar/2007 at 7:19pm
Sir,I am extremely sorry but I missed this thread . Reading Annual reports and understanding financial statements, is something which I have always liked doing. The best thing about reading annual Reports is that you can get a feel about a host of other things which no analysts report will be able to provide.

The first and foremost thing about an Annual Report study, is to get the feel of the management. Its my request, that before one gets into the financials,its better to understand the management quality and management intent. Its easier said than done but a genuine attempt must be made. In order to discover it, look at the following aspects:

1.Simplicity of presentation. I beleive its the most critical aspect of Annual report presenation. An analyst/investor has to go through so many companies' report that at times, time's the really scarcest commodity on earth. After May end, everyday they have to go through 5-10 Annual reports besides analysing quarterlies. So,in case a company tries to add a lot of jazzy stuff, it actually is doing a big dis-service to the investor community. A good company, tries to send strong message through the Annual report itself. In this context, I will like to talk about Cipla, whose last year's Annual report was extremely simple. I was quite amazed so I asked my dad whats the cause of this simplicity. Then I found it written somewhere that the company has tried to make saving on that count and made a donation to its Cancer Foundation with that money. I know such things dont matter in this material world but someway down the line I will always like to have a company which maintains high degrees of Social Responsibility.

2.Auditors report: Extremely important to read the Annual report. Infact, the first assignment which my dad gave me when I was in class XI, was to write on top of the Annual report, whether the company is regular/generally regular/irregular in making payments towards statutory liabilities like PF, ESI, Tax authorities etc.A company which is not regular is to be avoided at all cost. Genrally regular Companies are also to be deeply studied before committing money.Look at possible qualifications.

3.Look at whether the 10-year/5-year Financial Highlights have been provided or not. A performer will always show that. Its not a boast,but its a matter of integrity to enable investors to take a call. Financial performance follows a trend, and good companies will never try to hide a bad year.

4. In case you are looking to invest into a company in which you are not invested in, them try to make a correspondance with that company and you will understand a lot of things. In this context, I must mention about three companies: Infosys, Foseco india and Abbott India. I will always like to a shareholder of these 3 companies. Actaully, I bought the stock and immediately placed a request for the Annual Report. To my amazement, before the shares were credited into my account, the Annual reports were there on my desk. In this context, I must always mention about foseco India. I wasnt able to get their e-mail address in India... so I mailed it to London. And the company had so much responsibility that they acted so very fast and fulfilled my request in no time.These are true Investor delight stocks.

5.Another important thing to look forward is to see how quickly the management is able top present its account and hold the AGM. A good management will always like to present accounts and hold the AGM very much before the stipulated guideline.Good companies like to interact with the shareholders and investing community. They therefore hold the AGM when its convenient for the shareholders to attend the same. They dont avoid the investing community by holding the AGM at the dead-end of September( for March-ending companies) so that they can avoid getting questioned as not many investors will be able to committ the time and effort.

6.Understand the Policies which the company has laid down, if at all. Policies like Whistleblower Policy, dividend policy are often laid out as a measure to maintain high degrees of standard of Conduct. Companies which have a well-laid out policies will be coveted in most of the cases.

7.Try to peek through the chairman's Letter if that's provided. Try to get a feel of the humility of the Board Chairman. Try to make a note of his intent, if you can. Sir, Investing is such a game which will make you a behavioral scientist if you take it seriously.Understand their communication. Its very very important to get a feel of the management before diving hard into financials, which is a matter of science and more easily understandable.

Gradually, I will like to write more and more stuff on Financials but just thought it important that before one gets into financials one must make some mental notes about the management quality and hence this post.

Regards,
Vivek

Edited by Vivek Sukhani - 31/Mar/2007 at 10:22am
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 31/Mar/2007 at 7:32pm
Vivek...very well written and explained. I am sure it will be appreciated by one and all!!!

BasantJi...please make this a new thread.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 16 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version