Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Annual reports - Reading, Understanding and Discussing.
 The Equity Desk Forum :Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios! :Annual reports - Reading, Understanding and Discussing.
Message Icon Topic: TTK Prestige - Analysis of 2010 Annual Report Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 6 Next >>
subu76

Online Status: Offline
Quote subu76 Replybullet Posted: 15/Jun/2010 at 7:23pm

A couple of points:

ROE jumped from 26% to 42%.

On the company's finances vis a vis Hawkins:

It's the half full vs half empty argument.
TTK has a long way to go..the management has woken up to the possibilities only in 2007 and has continuously delivered on it. The results are evident.

Once managements adopt the return on capital funda they usually go places esp if the industry is a good one (unlike Textiles)

On pricing power:
When it comes to cookers neither Hawkins nor TTK enjoy a huge amount of pricing power. Till 2009 their prices per unit have tracked each other. That is the reason why Hawkins needs to come up with the Mother Mary price point (to prevent down trading). Offcourse, this is not an unique problem to this sector. Companies from Bajaj Elec to Agrotech all face this and have come out with products at lower price points.

Do gas stoves have pricing power? As an extremely satisfied customer i'd think so.

On dividends:

Could it have been more? Sure
Did management share the spoils? Yes, They just doubled the dividends. Again, the half full half empty argument holds...the dividend can go way way up from here.

On capex:
The new plant in Uttarakhand is related to domestic electrical applicances.
Yes it sure looks to be forward looking aiming to maximize profits. It requires expenses worth 10 cr of which 5-6 cr was spent this year. It's probaily not a big deal for a company which generates 60 cr of free cash.

Is the smart kitchen network successful?
I've personally seen them doing well. I've interacted with 2 different franchisee owners (one of them was a Hawkins employee earlier) and they were both extremely satisfied with the results and with the company.

On rental income
Not sure if this one is a big deal one way or the other. Will it use up all of management time if they just need to encash the cheques from the builder on a monthly basis? But, surely this is not the best of times to dispose off property.

Need to study more about the quality of the cash flow.

Between Hawkins and TTK....I personally feel TTK will grow their earnings way faster. if a company has a ROE of 42%, very little capex and a lot of free cash it can grow. Hawkins will probabily have a lot higher ROE but a lot of that will be returned to share holders.

Which company will give better share holder returns?
My guess is it will be the one which grows EPS the fastest.

IP IP Logged
adityancs

Quote adityancs Replybullet Posted: 15/Jun/2010 at 8:23pm
Because of huge competition in cooker/cookware items, pricing power is  restricted for TTK and Hawkins. In Tamil Nadu alone, there are ten local branded cookware items apart from Butterfly, TTK and Hawkins.
I trust Hawkins management more than TTK management.

Edited by adityancs - 15/Jun/2010 at 8:25pm
IP IP Logged
prabhakarkudva

Quote prabhakarkudva Replybullet Posted: 15/Jun/2010 at 10:36pm
Basantji,

Could you please explain a little more about the Sundry debtor funda.What does the term mean and how is TTK able to show such a drastic increase?Did they start this outsourcing business from this year? And if they are outsourcing so much,what are they putting up the capacities for?Is this an item to look for other companies' cash flow statements too?I would've never figured this angle out.

Edited by prabhakarkudva - 15/Jun/2010 at 10:37pm
Take your chances and keep them in a box until a quieter time.
IP IP Logged
CHINKI

Quote CHINKI Replybullet Posted: 15/Jun/2010 at 10:49pm
1) From the Directors report there seems to have been a slew of new product launches but the key aspect to check out would be the kind of difference these products make to the topline. Sometimes there are minor improvements in existing products that make their way into their Annual Report but do not impact the topline as much as it appears at first glance.
It is true that no where there is any mention of the potential for the new products, but one thing for sure these are not just minor improvement of the old existing products. It is altogether on a different principle.
2) The company indicates that the share of organized brands is slightly more then 50% but that has been the case for a few years now.
Director was mentioning that the market for the Pressure Cookers has grown fron 500/600Cr to 1000Cr market
3) I would have liked the company to comment on what they feel would be the impact of GST. They should have provided their version of competitiveness of the organized players in the post single GST environment.
Very few companies know the effect of GST on their respective industries since Govt.is yet to clarify on so many issues.
4) a) Clearly the big volume driver isn’t Pressure Cooker which grew by only 12% in Value terms. In case of volumes it grew at 15.58% implying that discounts were higher and pricing was lower
Good observation. This needs to be checked up with the management during AGM but one thing for sure,they had one scheme or the other throughout the year. Most of the time it used to be like exchange of old cookers, cookwares or etc against any of the items available in the Prestige Smart Kitchen.

Looks like most of the time it is cooker from the house got replaced from the following data, hence more discount in the case of cookers.

Commission to Selling Agents : Rs. 153.53 Vs Rs.142.63

Discount : Rs.2960.33 Vs Rs.2414.74
(Rupees in Lakhs)
Financial Analysis:The debtors and inventory have grown at 23% and 22% respectively whereas sales and Cost of Goods sold have increased by 24% and 16% respectively.
Again good observation. But both Debtor days (43.3 Vs 44.36) and inventory days (84.58 Vs 80.8) are almost flat
4) The discussion of  Prestige Kitchen Boutique and Smart Kitchens network should have been indicated by value because in the absence of that one cannot make out whether the numbers are significant or not.
True. Needs more information like whether sales is growing in the old stores or not?.
On the face of it increasing Kitchen Boutique to 9 from 2 stores is immaterial in the overall context of things.
Looks like you have read it wrong. Other than Prestige Smart Kitchen, they have two more concepts viz, Prestige Kitchen Boutique (9 no.s) and Prestige Life Style (2 no.s). They have not added any new stores of these two formats during last year
Why would you set up new capacity when the existing is not used or if there is a change in product mix and the collective caption is cookers then they should mention it.
The new capacity has come up in Uttarakhand which enjoys Excise and Sales Tax benefits. Eventhough there is excess capacity at their current units in S.India which are located in Hosur & Coimbatore, it makes sense from the financial and logistics angle to have one unit in North to take care of the demand in North and West.
The increase in capital employed at 35% is lower then the increase in sales at 26%.
Money has already been invested but production started only after 20th of March. So it is too early to come to that conclusion.
Cash Flow:  The big increase in operating cash flow has come in the back of increase in Sundry creditors. It appears that the company has outsourced more of its work to third party manufacturers and hence the big increase in Creditors
Prestige has been outsourcing all their products except Cookers and Cookwares since long time. From current year, they would start manufacturing them at Uttarakhand plant. It is not that they have kept their capacities idle at their factories and outsourced from third party vendors like PSUs.

But if you strip out the Sundry Creditors (Rs 29.56 crores) the increase in Operating cash flow at 18.83 crores to Rs 61.65 crores from Rs 42.83 crores in Fy09 evaporates and the company has done worse off in terms of operating cash flow.
While it is true that cash flow gets affected due to capital investments but management claiming credit for nothing is not correct.

The total fixed assets is around Rs 40 crores and surprisingly the value of Buildings (Rs 14.23 crores) is as much as the Value of Plant and Machinery (Rs 14.22 crores). Value of Buildings increased by around 40% for the current year whereas Plant increased at 18%. Not sure why?
While this has to be checked with the management, but I feel ( which can be wrong) it can be either of the following two:

1) You have constructed civil structures at the new site, but bought machines may be only for half of that space
OR

2) They could have moved some machines from their old factories instead of procuring new one as the current plants are not running at the full capacity. It is also not expected to go up also as the North and west will get supplied from the new plant.

The Cash, Investments and loans in hand are Rs 43 crores enough to create another TTK (Total Capital Employed is Rs 116 crores as on date) with debt from Bank. Why then is it that the company chooses to hold cash and not distribute it amongst the shareholders?
Basantji, how did you get Rs.116Cr?? Is it Reserves + Loans?? Management is not revealing their plans. They say that nothing is planned as of now and if it is not used within a year or two, they may give it back to the shareholders
Properties and Investment: Why a company that generates free cash flow and is sitting pretty on its business competitiveness wants to go in for rental income?
The properties have not yet come and they are yet to get the approvals for their design. Nothing is decided about that whether to retain for rent or to sell off. So it is too early to make a comment on that issue.

I will not make any comments on the conclusion as it is for each individual to make his own assessment of the company.

My comments are based purely on my understanding of the Annual Reports as well as the information gathered during my interaction with the management.
TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST, BUT TOUGH PEOPLE DO
IP IP Logged
gyansr

Quote gyansr Replybullet Posted: 15/Jun/2010 at 11:09pm

deleted

Edited by gyansr - 15/Jun/2010 at 11:13pm
IP IP Logged
EquityInv

Quote EquityInv Replybullet Posted: 15/Jun/2010 at 11:32pm
Thank you very much sir for analysis .. This will help me to understand on what to look in AR overall.

Edited by EquityInv - 15/Jun/2010 at 1:44am
One of the best rules anybody can learn about investing is to do nothing, absolutely nothing, unless there is something to do – James Rogers
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 15/Jun/2010 at 8:01am
Originally posted by prabhakarkudva

Basantji,

a)Could you please explain a little more about the Sundry debtor funda.What does the term mean and how is TTK able to show such a drastic increase?

b)Did they start this outsourcing business from this year? And if they are outsourcing so much,what are they putting up the capacities for?

c)Is this an item to look for other companies' cash flow statements too?I would've never figured this angle out.

a)It is the Sundry Creditor Funds. Yes, they have started to oytsource in major way this year, once they start manufacturing on their own they will not have the benefit of getting cash into the system. If they do not manufacture then they will not get I-Tax benefit.

b)Not all companies are the same. Each company will have a unique aspect to be analysed.

c)But surely analysts looking at cash flow they should try and do a quality check!

Originally posted by EquityInv

Thank you very much sir for analysis .. This will help me to understand on what to look in AR overall.

I expect other TYED members to put up reports of other companies in this sormat or even in an improvised one. that will help us understand the AR better.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
prabhakarkudva

Quote prabhakarkudva Replybullet Posted: 16/Jun/2010 at 8:37am
Basantji,

Some doubts,pardon me if they are stupid.Just trying to get a hang of accounting.
I was just reading up about Sundry Creditors.So here the idea is that you are just postponing paying the money and hence increasing your cash flow.If this is the case the money needs to paid out sometime in the future.Hence should it really be classified as free cash? Also logically shouldn't this be a part of cash flow from financing?

Take your chances and keep them in a box until a quieter time.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 6 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version