Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Equity Valuation Techniques
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Equity Valuation Techniques
Message Icon Topic: Value Traps Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
subu76

Online Status: Offline
Quote subu76 Replybullet Posted: 03/Sep/2009 at 12:19pm
As usual a lot of our analysis will be backward looking.

If Brittania does not increase it's Net profit anytime soon it will be termed as a value trap.

3M is a value trap which folks already discussed/

Edited by subu76 - 03/Sep/2009 at 12:20pm
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 03/Sep/2009 at 7:13am
Very interesting topic. The initial post has comprehensively covered the value traps. Basically it is a case of a cheap stock remiaing cheap with no outside/inside catalyst for a re-rating!

But some people like to play the game that way. I know many investors who hold VST just because it is a 7% yield stock but the difference to making money is in trying to identify a value trap in foresight rather then hindsight.

Generally a high quality brand as a sector leader has the least chance of becoming a value trap. The biggest value traps are found in companies that are not leaders of the sectors they operate in.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
nitin_jagtap

Quote nitin_jagtap Replybullet Posted: 04/Sep/2009 at 12:10pm
Other than the almost risk free dividend earned, money in value trap stocks can be made when you buy them when they are very cheap and sell them when they are cheap. These stocks may seldome become fairly valued or overvalued in the entire life time
Warm REgards
Nitin Jagtap
IP IP Logged
subu76

Quote subu76 Replybullet Posted: 04/Sep/2009 at 2:44pm

So it seems that value traps...like other not so great selections are stocks of companies which are not showing good enough top/bottom line growth.

Also, they are neglected by the market (no PE rerating) as these are second/third line companies.
IP IP Logged
subu76

Quote subu76 Replybullet Posted: 04/Sep/2009 at 2:45pm
To build more on my understanding of Nitin's point...

Value traps do not lend themselves to buy and hold.

You need to buy and sell ..... say buy at 7% yield and sell at 4% yield....

Edited by subu76 - 04/Sep/2009 at 2:46pm
IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 04/Sep/2009 at 3:44pm
Any stock which seems to be cheap (low P/E with high dividend yield) but has no significant earnings growth in the past few years is a value trap.

That's why PSU banks are not value traps - they grow their EPS and net profits every year. And when that happens, the stock price too keeps going northwards. Check the 10 year stock price graph of any significant PSU bank, and you'll know what I mean.

IP IP Logged
subu76

Quote subu76 Replybullet Posted: 04/Sep/2009 at 3:54pm
I see..... SBI we know of already. I'll check a few other banks.

I think Vivek made a pile on some of the PSU banks.
IP IP Logged
nav_1996

Quote nav_1996 Replybullet Posted: 04/Sep/2009 at 5:16pm
When we discuss value traps it is important to remember that it is better to be stuck with value traps yielding div rather than get into someting which looses 90% - e.g. vishal retail, silverine, dsq. They appeared as classical growth stories at their peak.

Having said that a novice investor is likely to do better with classical value traps rather growth stocks. It also depends on your temprament. I made money with IDBI bank but lost with HDFC bank. I made money with Sundram Fin but lost with HDFC. I made money with Trent but lost with Pantaloon.

When you buy a stock which you consider value based on your analysis, it helps you hold the stock over a cycle of ups and downs.

Edited by nav_1996 - 04/Sep/2009 at 5:23pm
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version