Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Identifying Multibaggers
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Identifying Multibaggers
Message Icon Topic: First Generation entrepreneurs and Multibaggers Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 29/Aug/2006 at 10:33pm
You have raised a good point. If @ 26% we can make a 10 bagger in 10 years it becomes a 1000 bagger in 30 years. That means an investment of Rs 10 lacs could become Rs 100 crores in 30 years.

Now try telling someone about a stock at Rs 100 with a suggestion that it could go to Rs 126 the next year and you will get a sample of how  greedy (ignorant) we are about investing.People want to double their moneyy in 3 months here.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 07/Sep/2006 at 7:53pm
Financial Technologies   and  Pantaloon Retail  are the biggest examples of first generation promoters whom no one took seriuiously and which went up some 20 - 30 times. Once the stocks went up that much the business magazines  initiated focus on the icons of the new India that says "I can think".
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
prosperity

Quote prosperity Replybullet Posted: 07/Sep/2006 at 10:11pm

I liked this topic very much - specially Mr. Basant's first post of this topic ...

Frankly speaking, i never thought about this - that bigcaps would never list their shares .. and give adv. to public ...

That how i lost on reliance communications... and how i will loose on reliance retail....

But somehow i am not convinced on Pantaloon either...

coz. Mr. Basant himself told that TV18 which has very less revenues as compared to Pantaloons as very high profits and profit margins as compared to Pantaloons...

Retail needs lots of money (in form of land banks) ... and Retail margins go for a toss - because retailers wants to capture good revenues and market share and hence sacrifice margins for it...

Big Bazaar is good for customers - but very bad for promotors - coz even with scale - margins are so low that scale cannot nullify the margin impact

I want to differ from u on Pantaloons...

It might have been a multi-bagger ...
But not anymore !

IP IP Logged
Ajith

Quote Ajith Replybullet Posted: 07/Sep/2006 at 9:35am

Mr.Basant, saw your post only now.Financial Wizard popular in early 90s carried this quote -put all your eggs in 1 basket and watch that basket.I think it is very risky to have a concentrated portfolio.My experience is that one should have 3 to  5 large positions and around 18 moderate holdings.

Edited by Ajith - 07/Sep/2006 at 9:35am
Ajith
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 07/Sep/2006 at 9:50am

Never advised putting everything in one company only. I have exeactly that strategy 3 significantly wwighted stocks and the other 10- 12 small exposure stocks.

I used to see that paper and they were basically looking at small undiscovered companies that were not sector leaders  if I remember correctly.Never talked about good well managed companies; the focus was always to suggest something that moves faster then the market.

IP IP Logged
Ajith

Quote Ajith Replybullet Posted: 07/Sep/2006 at 10:20am
Sorry,I knew you meant it that way but my words by mistake indicated otherwise.
Ajith
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 07/Sep/2006 at 10:27am
No Problem. I had thought so but still wanted to clarify.
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 08/Sep/2006 at 2:26pm

Shoppers Stop or Pantaloon from here on in Retail Basant jee? Can you please throw some comparisons here? RJ mentioned somewhere shoppers stop to be entered into currently and surprisingly didnt mention pantaloon for any fresh entries??

appreciations!
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version