Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Identifying Multibaggers
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Identifying Multibaggers
Message Icon Topic: TheEquityDesk Report card Sep 2008 Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 13 Next >>
bassein

Online Status: Offline
Quote bassein Replybullet Posted: 05/Oct/2008 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by valueman

The last nine months have been tough and grueling for equity investing. The ones who invested in 2007 have their nose under water the ones in 2006 are barely breaking even, the guys who got in 2005 are still in some profit, investors of 2004 are smiling and the ones of 2003 are still managing to laugh in spite of the carnage that stocks have taken.

I belong to that Category Big%20smile

Please share your postal address and the time you are free. TEddies may drop in for "advice" and snacks Big%20smileBig%20smile
IP IP Logged
master

Quote master Replybullet Posted: 05/Oct/2008 at 9:36pm
Report card is an update of the obvious. If this is your first bear market, a sense of despondency is understandable seeing the nine (or XI) pins falling. Otherwise, i feel it's a beautiful time to accumulate scrips one always wanted to.

We may have our differences as what to buy (and that difference is perfectly healthy) but i strongly feel members need not to be so much down & out as it appears on many threads. I am of the view if one is missing this period of turbulence & screaming buys, with more uncertainty to follow in short term, it'll be a great opportunity missed if we take a 7-8 year cycle. And that long term investing approach should be the way forward at least on a forum like TED.

Someone’s sitting in shade today because someone planted a tree long time ago.
IP IP Logged
valueman

Quote valueman Replybullet Posted: 05/Oct/2008 at 10:28pm
Please share your postal address and the time you are free. TEddies may drop in for "advice" and snacks Big%20smileBig%20smile

Compared to  Veterans like Basantji and others I am just an ordinary person .
I am just a noivce here .It was a blessing that I made a major part of my investment in 2003 after reading the book "The Warren Buffett Way" BY Robert Hagstrom .That book came to me at the right time and right situation and I consider it a blessing .I entered the stock market for the first time in my life in 2003 and invested a major part of my investments at that time . I do have my share of mistakes and of my mistakes 60% belong to missed opportunities ( i.e exiting early or failing to invest in  potential multibaggers ) and 40% belong to wrong investments .Anyway there was no major Capital Losses .This is the first bear market I am facing and it is a new experience for me . Again I am lucky to be sitting on Cash due to some sale in some Real Estate and FD maturity ( again it was a blessing that I invested another chunk in FDs/Bonds in 2003 and those have matured now and also maturing ) .
So I consider the first phase of my investing life to be from 2003-2008 and I will give myself a mark of 6/10 .In this regard I wish to point out that in 2003 when I did a major investment my brother who is in USA was dead against me investing in stocks as he had a bad experience in stocks due to the dot com burst and also after 9/11 tragedy .So upset he was that he did not talk to me for few weeks . Now after seeing my own performance in the past 5 years he is happy that I did not mess with the money and in fact has given me his funds to be invested and he has given me a freedom to invest in whatever I can .I consider this to be an important recognition and that I am on the right track .
The next phase of my investing life stats from 2008-2013 and I do not know how I will perform in the second phase .I am  still a novice and a conservative investor and have a long way to go .
TED has really helped me a lot in widening my vision and knowledge with regard to Investing and I must thank Basantji for the same and also to many others who are regularly contributing and making my job easier of learning about various stocks .
I am a fan of Buffett and Munger and I am trying my best to develop a disciplined way to invest like the way they have done .

To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize ; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks .
Benjamin Graham.
IP IP Logged
Vivek Sukhani

Quote Vivek Sukhani Replybullet Posted: 05/Oct/2008 at 9:32am
Originally posted by master

Report card is an update of the obvious. If this is your first bear market, a sense of despondency is understandable seeing the nine (or XI) pins falling. Otherwise, i feel it's a beautiful time to accumulate scrips one always wanted to.

We may have our differences as what to buy (and that difference is perfectly healthy) but i strongly feel members need not to be so much down & out as it appears on many threads. I am of the view if one is missing this period of turbulence & screaming buys, with more uncertainty to follow in short term, it'll be a great opportunity missed if we take a 7-8 year cycle. And that long term investing approach should be the way forward at least on a forum like TED.

Firstly, I liked your signature statement.

Secondly, I liked the idea you wanted to convey.

Thirdly, I appreciate the maturity you have been displaying on the various threads you are participating.

Great to be interacting with people like you......Thanks for the same.
Jai Guru!!!
IP IP Logged
furkanalam

Quote furkanalam Replybullet Posted: 06/Oct/2008 at 4:57pm

IF you have cash , then this is a great time to invest in shares with a long term horizon......

Let me quote BUFFET here....

"CASH combined with COURAGE in a CRISIS is priceless"

What say TEDies.....lets not miss this opportunity.....

IP IP Logged
arunshah2k

Quote arunshah2k Replybullet Posted: 06/Oct/2008 at 7:21pm
Totally agree. This is the best time to invest. Yes the markets could fall to 10000 levels based on history, but no one knows.

I only feel that faster the fall, faster the recovery !!!

IN last 3-4 months, there has been constant -ve news all over the world. This cannot last long. Good news has to come through.
IP IP Logged
Vivek Sukhani

Quote Vivek Sukhani Replybullet Posted: 06/Oct/2008 at 7:26pm
Actually, if we go on falling 800 points a day, we dont even have 15 days to survive.

Sensex =12000 approx.

Therefore, if we go on falling 800 points each day, we will dont have the sensex after 15 days.

Technically speaking, therefore, we are gradually getting at a place from where we can only move up.

However, I still believe 50 p.c of the stocks may still lose 50 p.c from current levels. But some stocks are definitely going to bottom out soon.

People should therefore convert their way through into something they have aspired to be in. If need be, book losses. But, I still think, cash shall not be committed in a a hurry.

Edited by Vivek Sukhani - 06/Oct/2008 at 7:27pm
Jai Guru!!!
IP IP Logged
valueman

Quote valueman Replybullet Posted: 06/Oct/2008 at 7:32pm
But, I still think, cash shall not be committed in a a hurry

I agree . No need to be in a hurry . Pick the stocks that you want to hold for the next 3 - 5 years and invest accordingly .Instead of investing fresh money I have booked losses in those stocks that I felt I made a mistake in buying last year or year before  and invested that money in the stocks which I like to hold for the next 5 years .

To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize ; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks .
Benjamin Graham.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 13 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version