Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Identifying Multibaggers
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Identifying Multibaggers
Message Icon Topic: Axis bank replaces Bharti in The EquityDesk XI Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 22/Oct/2007 at 12:43pm

Certainly not. It just means that I think that Axis offers beter potential in terms of growth compared to Bharti over a longer period of time. You should always use TED as a a reference point and take decisions on what you are convinced about.

Maybe you could put in your arguments for/against and we would discuss that also.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
deveshkayal

Quote deveshkayal Replybullet Posted: 23/Oct/2007 at 12:33pm
Expect conservative returns(35%) from TED XI.
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett
IP IP Logged
furkanalam

Quote furkanalam Replybullet Posted: 14/Nov/2007 at 3:02pm

China Mobile , the biggest telecom company of China....now has a market cap of $400 billion.Its also listed in NYSE.

So dont you think that Bharti at $50billion has huge headroom.Because as far as i know India is supposed to be the next big thing after China and considering the population of India, Indian telecom operators have a lot more to gain from india.....

So i think long term Bharti is an excellent stock to hold.

Basant please do let me know your views on this.

Edited by furkanalam - 14/Nov/2007 at 3:07pm
IP IP Logged
luke123

Quote luke123 Replybullet Posted: 14/Nov/2007 at 3:27pm
I think Airtel story is not over by any stretch of imagination. Even at their current size they are growing much faster than Axis.  Also retail, DTH and broadband for that matter still have to play out. With number of competitors, Axis is just another private bank while Airtel is the No 1 company in its space and a classy one at that.

I know they are on bad books with the minister but remember, he is there for another 1 1/2 years and Airtel will be there for much longer.

Franchise they have built is amazing. I have all my phones and broadband with Airtel. I have never experienced better service in my life. You file a complaint and if you are outside your home, you will have to rush back because someone from Airtel is already waiting for you.

There was a discussion on TV as to how Number portability is going to be harmful to Airtel. Having shifted from reliance to airtel, I can tell you no self respecting person will shift from Airtel as reliance is not only cheap but very very annoying as well. Infact if CDMA to GSM will be possible, reliance is going to lose more customers to airtel than the other way around.

Even from growth perspective, I think Airtel will score over Axis atleast for some more years.

Luke

Edited by luke123 - 14/Nov/2007 at 3:43pm
IP IP Logged
deveshkayal

Quote deveshkayal Replybullet Posted: 14/Nov/2007 at 5:16pm
Also retail, DTH and broadband for that matter still have to play out
------------------------------------
Retail is not part of listed entity. Its part of Bharti Enterprises. Last time i heard, Samir Arora is not so bullish on Telecom.

If you are comparing with China then compare SBI, ICICI to ICBC and others. We should not compare but rather invest on fundamentals than on liquidity.
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 14/Nov/2007 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by furkanalam

China Mobile , the biggest telecom company of China....now has a market cap of $400 billion.Its also listed in NYSE.

So dont you think that Bharti at $50billion has huge headroom.Because as far as i know India is supposed to be the next big thing after China and considering the population of India, Indian telecom operators have a lot more to gain from india.....

So i think long term Bharti is an excellent stock to hold.

Basant please do let me know your views on this.

Chinese are valuing stocks for 2012 earnings. So we need to discount that. If some one says that SBI should have a marketcap of ICBC will we agree.

I have mentioned this before that I have a bad habit of exiting early but US $ 100 bn is my best case scenario before Bharti becomes a HULOuch.

Incremental growth from these levels will come at the cost of PE contraction. I am not worrried about Govt. lobbying etc Mittal is not a child he can manage himself and Anil is not the prime minister of india so do not get carried away by these short term abberations after all someone wil go to the Supreme court or maybe Karat will get involved in politics anything can happen because people like the situation are fluid!!!

Dish has  a mkt cap of US$ 700mn which is 1.5% of Bharti's maarket cap if you are bullish on DTH buy the pure listed player. If Bharti's price can move on DTH then DISH Tv will become a 20 bagger!!!

At this moment the whole country is into telecom stocks but the real time to buy themwas when they were unpopular in 2003. But I do not expect Bharti to tank but I am betting on a relative outperformance from Axis bank.Smile

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
tigershark

Quote tigershark Replybullet Posted: 14/Nov/2007 at 8:58pm
the bank race is on hdfc bank is leading the pack with icici a distant second and axis a distant third maybe the jockey of axis is holding him back so he can take on hdfc on the home stretch.axis is being ridden by a jockey from kolkotta and hdfc by one from goa
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things
IP IP Logged
luke123

Quote luke123 Replybullet Posted: 15/Nov/2007 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by basant

Chinese are valuing stocks for 2012 earnings. So we need to discount that. If some one says that SBI should have a marketcap of ICBC will we agree.

I have mentioned this before that I have a bad habit of exiting early but US $ 100 bn is my best case scenario before Bharti becomes a HULOuch.

Incremental growth from these levels will come at the cost of PE contraction. I am not worrried about Govt. lobbying etc Mittal is not a child he can manage himself and Anil is not the prime minister of india so do not get carried away by these short term abberations after all someone wil go to the Supreme court or maybe Karat will get involved in politics anything can happen because people like the situation are fluid!!!

Dish has  a mkt cap of US$ 700mn which is 1.5% of Bharti's maarket cap if you are bullish on DTH buy the pure listed player. If Bharti's price can move on DTH then DISH Tv will become a 20 bagger!!!

At this moment the whole country is into telecom stocks but the real time to buy themwas when they were unpopular in 2003. But I do not expect Bharti to tank but I am betting on a relative outperformance from Axis bank.Smile

Bharti added 2.03 m connections last month. Approx 25 m this year. That tranlates to on 4000 ARPU/YR  and 2000/user profit to 5000cr a year profit or atleast 50,000cr mcap.
I don't think they will stop at 100b. I think it will be more like 250-300b. May not happen in 2 years but will happen in 4-5 years max. 

Though only time will tell but I think Airtel is much better story than Axis even at 45b$ mcap.  I will bet even at 45b, will grow much faster than 9b$ axis.
I could have agreed with you on the growth front if you had somebody smaller but at 9b$, Axis is unlikely to beat bharti. Imagine 1 in 5 Indians will use Bharti (I am not counting fixed lines or broadband) eventually where as 1/100 will use Axis(maybe) and will not make as much money for Axis as they will for Bharti.

BTW, I do think Dish will be 10 bagger if not a 20 bagger.

let us see who is right on this one. But I am completely convinced Bharti is a better bet than Axis for next few years at least.

Luke

Edited by luke123 - 15/Nov/2007 at 4:47pm
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version