Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Fundamental
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Fundamental
Message Icon Topic: TED & how it influenced my investing Strategy Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
johnnybravo

Online Status: Offline
Quote johnnybravo Replybullet Posted: 17/Oct/2007 at 6:43pm
aur ek appraisal kulmanji ko for asking that question!

bhailog, ek baar joor se taaliyaan ho jayein!
IP IP Logged
s_praharaj

Quote s_praharaj Replybullet Posted: 17/Oct/2007 at 11:58pm
Kulmanji, Great question to the Master, and

Basant superb Answer, One thing you have not mentioned in your statement,

"TED sharpened the humble and human part in you. "

I , like others, thought of highlighting a part of your statement before writting my views.I read it four times. But each line of your write up is so full of values and emotions, that I restrained from taking a part of it.

Keep up the GREAT work, We are proud of you and feel proud to be a part of TED.

Shashi Praharaj
IP IP Logged
johnnybravo

Quote johnnybravo Replybullet Posted: 17/Oct/2007 at 12:31pm
Basantji,

Going ahead with the same topic, at times do you think or are you too worried when TEDies almost blindly follow your picks or throws?? I am sure you might have got some difficult time in the whole lifespan of TED wherein you might have come across a situation wherein you feel that people have developed a tendency to follow you....that they buy and sell some stocks - just because you think that that's the right way to do it....Does this make you worried at times? Even though its known and expected in black and white that everybody is at his OWN risk when he is playing with his own money, kya aap ko yeh cheez se kabhi pareshani hue hai???

Even off lately, I have seen TED'ies giving portfolio recommendations wherein they now throw all *18 companies and recommend Axis and Yes. Same case happened with ABN.

I understand that your views and changes therein were fully expressed on the respective forums and you have 1000% right to do it, but what I am not comfortable is people taking these at face values -- in some ways this is just like people following RJ or Damani -  even though TED has some very good discussions and views and counter-views.
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 17/Oct/2007 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by tushar

Basantji,

Even off lately, I have seen TED'ies giving portfolio recommendations wherein they now throw all *18 companies and recommend Axis and Yes. Same case happened with ABN.

Very good point Tushar jee. I may be guilty of some of the above. Let me give my views, so that I am clear from my side.

I didn't go for ABN as I wasn't able to buy the story in ABN somehow.

Personally, I prefer YB now more over *18 bcoz its earnings are growing and not just stock price.

I can only take the risk of "opportunity cost" of at mOst 1 stock in the 5-stock portfolio of mine and Nucleus has already filled that slot.

And Axis Bank I recommend usually to someone who wants a bank exposure with stability but with better returns in stock price, than a HDFC. This is what I have been able to gather after seeing its current size, its recent growth rate in earnings and of course Basant sir's personal views and his stake in it.

When earnings grow more than the stock price, it makes one feel happy don't you think?

Edited by omshivaya - 17/Oct/2007 at 1:01am
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
johnnybravo

Quote johnnybravo Replybullet Posted: 17/Oct/2007 at 1:03am
Omji, what makes you feel that my comment was pointed towards you?? I am very sorry, if you had felt so....This was my general observation, please please don't take it on yourselves, I never meant that!

I am not at all questioning whether YB or Axis or ABN or *18 are/were good ideas. My point was something different. Of course we are here to share and gain from each others perspective and make money and also learn how to make money in the process!
Cheers,

IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 17/Oct/2007 at 1:06am
Originally posted by tushar

Omji, what makes you feel that my comment was pointed towards you?? I am very sorry, if you had felt so....This was my general observation, please please don't take it on yourselves, I never meant that!

I am not at all questioning whether YB or Axis or ABN or *18 are/were good ideas. My point was something different. Of course we are here to share and gain from each others perspective and make money and also learn how to make money in the process!
Cheers,

Arre Tushar jee, I know you didn't intend it for me. But I felt that my explanation would help provide some perspective of one of the TEDdies. Please do not feel bad. I did not mInd a bit of what you said. In fact, it helps TEDdies to gauge themselves better, when the TED mindset continously is challenged. Thanks for your post really! Cheers! Tongue
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 17/Oct/2007 at 1:15am
By the way, didn't you have Yes Bank in your portfolio in Jan 2007?

Originally posted by omshivaya

Note to myself: Now isnt this great, both my lovebirds hand in hand, singing a beautiful duet

IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 17/Oct/2007 at 5:12am
Yes smartcat jee, first initial exposure at 110 and then added big chunk at 120.00. Held it and saw the results and tried to understand the future prospects for sometime. Then again...between August and now, have added chunks here and there, between 175-190. Will update portfolio in a few days if orders get filled.

My last updated portfolio was here, in case you need for reference: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=378&PN=15

Thanks for asking!

Edited by omshivaya - 17/Oct/2007 at 5:25am
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version