Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Equity Valuation Techniques
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Equity Valuation Techniques
Message Icon Topic: CashFlow - The ultimate thing! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Vivek Sukhani

Online Status: Offline
Quote Vivek Sukhani Replybullet Posted: 28/Aug/2007 at 11:54pm
Although I agree with you, but still I would like to stay with companies which show intent to use cash productively in the best interests of shareholders. sure, you may invest in productive assets and the requirement may make free cash flow negative, but the infusion must be only and only for increased profits in the coming years. Basant Sir, there is a big difference between loss making and negative cash flows. Its quite truse that during initial years you need capital and one has to invest in fixed assets but there must be a clear cut strategy when you intend to become cash flow positive. Ultimately we would like the companies to earn for us. I am quite happy with a company which is into a product which has a small market so long as the company manges its position in the markets with adequate profits. We all have made money through different means. Free cash flow gives the company the legroom to become aggressive in its portfolio. The reason why I like Pidilite so much is the way they manage growth. They hardly come up with a disappointing quarter and that is because they have been very very aggressive in acquiring productive assets and using gearing very suitably and increasing it to only increase the RoE. Now, the reason they have been able to do so is because they almost turned debt free a year back and when the opportunity came for becoming very aggressive their balance sheet was strong and clean enough to give them the opportunity to borrow and have a launching pad. Thats why I like Glaxo Consumer ....on an equity of 42 crores they will make a free cash flow of 200 crores. They are already debt free, have adequate investments on hand, have very little working capital needs and hence the only way out for cash utilisation will be increased pay-outs. Now at least I m clear that this company is a steady grower and alhough you cant spot a multibagger with cash flows but you will never lose 50 p.c. in a matter of days/weeks/months with such stocks. I play a very long cycle and hence multibaggers generally tend to make me feel edgy. So, I dont try to spot multibaggers but look at very decent long term plays and even with this approach I have been quite reasonably successful and now I feel making a career in stocks on one's feet is not very difficult provided one has the discipline.
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 28/Aug/2007 at 11:06am

Another important thing to consider is that some businesses were listed in 2003 and now becasue of market dynamics for example if we had a Bharti kind of a company now I am sure the private equity guys will gobble it all up and never allow it to come out in the open. Also companies like PRIL were traded in 2003 because the private equity culture was not deep in India, Dish Tv should ideally be with the private equity players because their counterpart Tata Sky with equal losses made a placement to Temasak a few weeks back but because it was with Zee we got the same.

Over the next few years I do not think that stock market investors would be given such companies because now the Private equity guys are there to gobble everything up. 

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 29/Aug/2007 at 12:19pm
Free Cash Flow (FCF) is not the ultimate thing. For me, it's almost a 'nothing thing'. Basically, for a fundamental investor who looks at parameters like P/E, RoE etc, he should probably give FCF a look, but not make any buy or sell decision based on FCF.

Companies like Glaxo Consumer, ITC and Pidilite might be FCF positive, but these are old companies which have had operations for a long time. On the other hand, companies in DTH, retail and Telecom space are relatively new companies, require lots of investments and hence trade at a higher P/E.

FCF positive stocks have already seen the best of its growth phase and is now cruising steadily. The FCF negative pack is in the middle of a growth curve. Most of them will eventually become Free Cash Flow positive.

Dish Tv should ideally be with the private equity players 

Yeah, only PE players can still smile when a company is showing a net loss equal to that of net sales. The stock market & its investors are not mature enough for a stock like Dish TV.
IP IP Logged
xbox

Quote xbox Replybullet Posted: 29/Aug/2007 at 12:25pm

Money is not at all a problem for a growth sector. There are many desi/videsi guys saying 'tum muje multi-bagger do mai tumhe credit donga'.

Don't bet on pig after all bull & bear in circle.
IP IP Logged
bihisello

Quote bihisello Replybullet Posted: 21/May/2010 at 9:52am
Please see this article:
http://www.articlesphere.com/Article/Investing--Analyzing-EPS/58875
High quality EPS refers to earnings that are a relatively true representation of what a company actually earns. Increasingly, cash EPS is being used to evaluate earnings. Also known as operating cash flow per share, it gives us the net effect of the inflow and outflow of money in a company's day to day operation. A cash flow statement breaks down cash flow into operation, investing and financing. A good company will normally display a growing trend of higher cash EPS against EPS.

Is it mostly correct article? If yes, then why more sites don't give cash EPS instead of EPS?
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 22/May/2010 at 12:42pm
A very god and precise writeup.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
LearningToFly

Quote LearningToFly Replybullet Posted: 04/Jul/2010 at 1:23am
BasantJi and experts,
I am going through the valuation model by few authors and got confused with the cashflow from operations concept.

Few authors mention Operating cashflow as EBIT + Depreciation - Tax. This is fine. However, when you look at the cashflow statement of companies, they generally use EBIT + Depreciation - Tax - Change in net working capital to arrive at cashflow from operation.

Isn't cashflow from operation and operating cashflow same thing?
Success... at all cost.
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 04/Jul/2010 at 6:11am
No, they are two different things.

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version