Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Words of Wisdom
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Words of Wisdom
Message Icon Topic: What's your most profound learning/insight? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 16 Next >>
manish_okhade

Online Status: Offline
Quote manish_okhade Replybullet Posted: 07/May/2012 at 9:33pm
Another dilemma i faced buying small cap is that i am unable to build up the conviction to bet Lakhs on it. I am still find myself not mature enough to visualize that e.g. PAGE would be all over India like TITAN in next 5-10 years. Sure, i miss out multibaggers but capiatal preservation is there if my picks go wrong.

Edited by manish_okhade - 07/May/2012 at 9:40pm
IP IP Logged
tejas.k

Quote tejas.k Replybullet Posted: 07/May/2012 at 10:13pm
I too used to spend a lot of time with stock screeners. Not anymore. I have decided what to buy and just watching their price movement. I think in today's world with all data available on net, its highly unlikely that a stock goes unnoticed. 

Fortunately I haven't incurred any loss.. I sold mayur uni, ajanta pharma and kajaria ceramics just above buying price.  they almost doubled after i sold.  ( these were not <5 PE though. but still very cheap)
IP IP Logged
TCSer

Quote TCSer Replybullet Posted: 07/May/2012 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by stock_surgeon

1. Never listen to analysts etc.
2. Use the pessimism in the market to buy quality stocks.
3. Use the optimism in the market to sell lemons.
4. Always be ready for a crash, and have readily available cash to utilize the opportunity.
5. Never agree to anyone's opinion blindly. Always, do your own research, apply your brains, and try to find unknown stocks -gems in the market.

SAGE WORDS
Share market is nothing but a game of temperament. Success mantra Right Price,Right Business,Patience, Conviction .Do not do panic buying or selling.It may be the only profession where inactivity pays
IP IP Logged
TCSer

Quote TCSer Replybullet Posted: 07/May/2012 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by subu76

Some principles i've learned from books and seen in real life:

Avoid companies with a lot of debt.

Companies which do a lot of acquisitions are risky. At some point they will start using debt to grow. The few big winners in this bunch is not worth the trouble.

Too much cash never caused a company to go bankrupt.

When a company looks cheap by most standards and no one belives it's price will rise it's time to buy.

When a company is expensive by most standards and no one believes it's price will fall it's time to sell

The last phase of a bull market will create winners which will never see their high prices again.

IPO is sales job.

A company taking market share is a big winner.

REMEMBER THESE WORDS TO BECOME A DOLLAR MILLIONAIRE
Share market is nothing but a game of temperament. Success mantra Right Price,Right Business,Patience, Conviction .Do not do panic buying or selling.It may be the only profession where inactivity pays
IP IP Logged
subash1983

Quote subash1983 Replybullet Posted: 08/May/2012 at 5:43pm
Few thing I have learned in my not-to-long hobby of investing.

1. Always look out for company with high and consistent ROE ratio. Seems like people always forget to read the "consistent" part.

2. Avoid company which are
a> Debt ridden (Especially when interest rate are high, or expected to increase)
b> Have corporate governance issue,
c> Are capital intensive (Especially when interest rate are high, or expected to increase)
d> Have erratic earning/ROE/ROCE/stock price movement pattern

3. Try maximizing growth
a> Try to catch companies in their early phase of growth (mostly small/mid-cap player)
b> Get out of company which seems to be reaching end of their growth phase

4. Have solid risk minimization strategy
a> Have a well diversified portfolio (concentrated portfolio, can have higher downside risk, if stocks are not chosen correctly)
b> Have stocks which are trading at lesser PEGY ratio. This will lower the probability of loosing money in bear market (if you have taken care of items in #2)
c> Try to have stocks from defensive sectors (Pharma, consumption), which are less likely to falter in a bear market
d> Try to have leaders from boring sectors. (Example: Mayur Uniquoter from plastics and packaging)
e> Have some cash in hand, so as to exploit rapid, irrational falls in stock prices.

5> Don't let your strategy stagnate
a> Keep in mind that one single strategy won't work well in all market conditions
b> So have your own theories, but always try to disproves your theory with new data, and keep evolving your strategy.
c> Always carve of new data, knowledge, wisdom; keep learning
d> Enjoy the process;

6> MOST IMPORTANTLY, always check your portfolio performance with respect to sensex (portfolio gain - sensex gain). The extra precious time that you are putting in having your portfolio ought to give you an extra edge (above passively monitored sensex) that should be increasing with increase in month of effort. If you are not able to beat sensex month-by-moth (or quater-by-quater), then the logical choice should be to switch to an index fund or a suitable debt instrument.

Some of the best resource on investing
1. ROE/ROCE thread of TED, go through it, it is worth the time
2. Prof Sanjay Bakshi's Behavioral Finance slides. Just awesome. Let me rethink the definition of risk
IP IP Logged
manish_okhade

Quote manish_okhade Replybullet Posted: 08/May/2012 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by subash1983

Few thing I have learned in my not-to-long hobby of investing.

Some of the best resource on investing
1. ROE/ROCE thread of TED, go through it, it is worth the time
2. Prof Sanjay Bakshi's Behavioral Finance slides. Just awesome. Let me rethink the definition of risk

In concept it is good but this filter leaves out very few companies. Market is smart and values such strong companies very high PE which makes valuation excercise more of subjective concept and its a dilemma.

One needs 2008 kind of event to cool down the valuation of such stocks which happens every 6-8 years, who has such stamina for wait?

Edited by manish_okhade - 08/May/2012 at 5:48pm
IP IP Logged
nazgul

Quote nazgul Replybullet Posted: 08/May/2012 at 5:58pm
Mine has been...patience.
always keep a cool head with investing. When u r analyzing, when criticizing, when building positions, when setting targets when doing anythign with your money, always have immense patience.
I don't do funds, i do fundas.
IP IP Logged
shivkumar

Quote shivkumar Replybullet Posted: 08/May/2012 at 7:00pm
Dear Subash,

Instead of looking at your stock prices beating the Sensex quarter on quarter why not look at companies whose earnings beat the competition regularly?
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 16 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version