Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Fundamental
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Fundamental
Message Icon Topic: TED & how it influenced my investing Strategy Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
new2investing
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote new2investing Replybullet Posted: 08/Sep/2010 at 11:50am

Well I dont have much to write about in the "before TED" section because I was lucky enough to be introduced to TED at the start of my investing career(in less than 6 months) Smile and needless to say, i fell in love with it on the very first day. But still if I had to put it in Before/ After format then here it goes :

Before: I understood that fundamentals is all that matters but, my understanding of fundmentals was confined to Financial statements only.In short I was a number cruncher.
After: I realised that there a number of other things to look into in a company apart from the numbers.

Before: I would just invest in a stock that seemed undervalued in terms of P/E and P/BV without questioning the reason for it being undervalued.
After: I have realised that it is equally important to find the real reasons for the undervaluation and Assesing whether it is likely to get rerated at all.

Before: I have always wanted to break free from my current job profile and move to finance.But had not come across any other educational qualification, other than MBA(which i dont want to opt for) that could get me into finance.
After: I got to know about CFA from US from a thread on TED and enrolled for the program. Will appear for level 1 exam in december this yearSmile.

In short TED has affected my life in ways more than one and I am gr8ful to all the teddies for that. 
Thanks Basant Jee and others for making this forum what it is.

P.S - Guess what I will gift my child(I am not married yet though Wink ) on his/her 15th B'day? I will introduce him/her to TED.
Learner...
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 09/Sep/2010 at 2:14pm
Your last statement is priceless. Thank you.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
samirarora

Quote samirarora Replybullet Posted: 09/Sep/2010 at 3:20pm
:-) yes.. i think its sweet too!
ATB and happy investing!!!
IP IP Logged
somu0915

Quote somu0915 Replybullet Posted: 09/Sep/2010 at 4:43pm
Can you please tell me the thread where CFA is discussed about?
IP IP Logged
new2investing
Groupie
Groupie

Quote new2investing Replybullet Posted: 09/Sep/2010 at 5:58pm
Learner...
IP IP Logged
Shadofax

Quote Shadofax Replybullet Posted: 14/Sep/2010 at 1:55pm
People like Smartcat, Chinki, manishjee (pune), Snehaljee, Onkar, Umesh, Vijayjee and many more have been extremely helpful

WinkNames not in the order of priority
---

Even more gratitude to Basantjee. His ideas and clarity of thought is really amazing.

His enthusism about stock markets unmatchable
His humorous way of delivering messages excellent
and the philosopher inside him ... genius Clap

---
The most important thing that happened to me was gaining more confidence ... A lot of it.

Thanks to Basantjee and all honest TEDies
$
IP IP Logged
SidM

Quote SidM Replybullet Posted: 16/Sep/2010 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by basant

Hi SidM, Thank you for your kind words. I am overwhelmed.

Could you indicate as to where we have met because for some strange reason I am unable to place you.

What do you do otherwise?

Basantji,

Born and bought up in calcutta, currently working with one of the fund house on the buy side in mumbai.  Basantji, I will be vising cal during diwali.  Will it be possible for you to meet there.  BTW, staying near to your place in calEmbarrassed. Thanks once again for putting your thoughts/ words of wisdom in this forum.   

Regards,
SidM 

“And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."

IP IP Logged
kapil1301

Quote kapil1301 Replybullet Posted: 16/Sep/2010 at 12:13pm

Hi,

Its been around 1 Year Now that I first came across the EquityDesk Forum.

I started in share markets without any knowledge and wanted to earn quick money but failed miserably and had some very BIG losses as compared to what I earned.( Also want to thanks all my RM's and Brokers for that).

But i kept on relying on them and had hope that some day I will be able to recover my losses and the losses kept mounting.

And than I came across this Forum and decided that I will never listen to the brokers ( I also realised that when you have smbdy to blame for your

Mistakes you can never learn and that’s what happened with me) but than I was the one loosing money.

One lesson I learnt is that don’t work on Tips because than you will have smbdy to blame.

Be responsible for your money do hard work and have patience if you do mistake learn from it don’t try to play the blame game.

YOUR MONEY YOUR DECISION YOUR REPONSIBILITY

I have been able to recover all my losses as of today and the biggest CREDIT for that goes to EquityDesk Forum.

Also I wonder sometimes that do the senior members like Basant Ji , Vivek Sukhani,Kulman,Tigershark,Prabhukardava,hit2710 and also other senior members even know that directly or indirectly how much they have helped people grow ( In every aspect ).

Since my start was so bad so uptill now I have been able to only breakeven and haven’t earned anything meaningful from the market (Moreover I am just a very small retail investor ) but have enjoyed the journey and in all having almost 3.6 years experience in the market now I am pretty optimistic about the future.

Regards,

Kapil Gupta
Thanks
kapil
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version