Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Build careers in Finance
 The Equity Desk Forum :Careers :Build careers in Finance
Message Icon Topic: CFA Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
brijwanth

Online Status: Offline
Quote brijwanth Replybullet Topic: CFA
    Posted: 04/Aug/2010 at 8:33pm
Basant ji I would like your opinion about CFA. I am a probationary officer in Bank of India and I have joined recently. I had the intention of being a Fund Manager since I was 18. CFA is the best way to try to become an Fund Manager as you know it is one of the toughest exam with only 9 out of 100 people clearing all 3 levels. Doing my job and studying would be most difficult but i think i can somehow complete in may be say 6 or 8 years(all 3 level). If I have to study and then do a job I would be out of business all these years and even after completing the course I have to make a good reputation for myself in the industry to start my own fund and dictate my terms by that time I would be easily 50 and theoretically speaking will not have much life left thereafter (all this provided everything goes according to plan). The good think is may be I'll think I am having a good life and salary.

so considering the 2nd scenario  If I do not write CFA and utilize my time in studying stocks and try to compound my money then may be I'll be in the same position but the advantage is I am owning my own money and I'm not accountable to anyone + I'm not under the effect of whims and fancies of market. The disadvantage being lack money to invest since I do not leverage. For example I had a good idea in the form of Riddhi Siddhi in which I invested all I had then(about 2500 pls don't Smile) the invest became a 5 time bagger but the problem is inspite of good ideas I'm unable to work on them because of lack of funds and I am investinbg very small amount I have which I know will be meaningless to beat the inflation

What do you suggest. I can't just give a try on CFA as you know it costs a fortune top write exam
Past will not be repeated in future but peaks and troughs do revert to mean, period and order of those peaks, troughs and mean days is the one i.e. not predictable- riser3 valuations
IP IP Logged
abhishekbasu

Quote abhishekbasu Replybullet Posted: 04/Aug/2010 at 10:31pm
I know your question is for Basant, but let me put my two cents worth here. Your passion for being a fund manager is commendable. First you need to figure out why you want to be a fund manager. Reading your post makes me think that you like picking stocks. If that is the case, you might disillusioned if you actually get to be a fund manager.Because, most large fund houses have their own rules and processes. It severely restricts your ability to actually pick stocks. The risk management team will sit and decide your exposure limits to a particular stock/sector etc etc. Additionally, you will always be under the scanner to outperform not only your benchmark but also your peers. It's a harrowing experience. (I know all this from a close friend who left his job in an IT MNC and did his MBA from Harvard and joined Fidelity UK as a research analyst).

You are probably better of trying to accumulate as much capital as possible and keep compounding your money. If you are just starting your job, you probably will have more money after a years.

Good ideas will keep coming, just keep at it and let compounding work its magic.

IP IP Logged
FutureBull

Quote FutureBull Replybullet Posted: 04/Aug/2010 at 10:51pm
just as we do stocks valuation Vs potential returns. similarly think about investment and returns.. if you clear all 3 levels of CFA nothing could be a better shot for your career than this..leverage to get charter and be closer to a fund manager.. no need to rush if if you just want to be an independent investor..

Best of luck!!!!
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.
IP IP Logged
brijwanth

Quote brijwanth Replybullet Posted: 05/Aug/2010 at 12:14pm
Abhishek ji and Futurebullji thanks for your reply. It seems to me that pursuing CFA will help me increase my salary and work pressure. CFA sees like an academic pursuit. Still I would like to hear how Basantji would handle this situation in a statesman like way(no pun intended)
Past will not be repeated in future but peaks and troughs do revert to mean, period and order of those peaks, troughs and mean days is the one i.e. not predictable- riser3 valuations
IP IP Logged
mkoks

Quote mkoks Replybullet Posted: 22/Sep/2010 at 1:13pm
Does anyone know about the good academies which offers CFA course/degree? I know ICFAI offers one.

Thanks 
IP IP Logged
new2investing
Groupie
Groupie

Quote new2investing Replybullet Posted: 22/Sep/2010 at 2:23pm

if u really want to opt for a CFA course then do it from the CFA institute USA. I would suggest you to avoid ICFAI. for details please visit the following link.

Learner...
IP IP Logged
nishantg

Quote nishantg Replybullet Posted: 19/Apr/2011 at 12:24pm
any institute to do cfa in delhi
IP IP Logged
new2investing
Groupie
Groupie

Quote new2investing Replybullet Posted: 20/Apr/2011 at 6:25pm

You mean to do CFA or prepare for the same(as in coaching).

As far as I know you can do CFA from CFA institute US or ICFAI in india. For the former one all you have to do is to clear the exams(3 level in all). for more details please visit www.cfainstitute.org . I have no idea about ICFAI however.
Learner...
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version