Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Identifying Multibaggers
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Identifying Multibaggers
Message Icon Topic: How to build your networth? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 11 Next >>
prabhakarkudva

Online Status: Offline
Quote prabhakarkudva Replybullet Topic: How to build your networth?
    Posted: 16/Jan/2010 at 8:57pm
I think there are enough people on TED who have built a sizeable networth by investing in the stock markets.Also there are more than enough people on TED who are trying to get there

I would like to believe that all those who were successful started small and after a series of events made it big.Now i would like those successful people to answer a few questions for the benefit of the rest of us:

1)Was your success in the markets a planned effort?Did you visualize your networth multiplying manifolds when your capital was small and took some broad portfolio decisions that led to your success?Or was your success a matter of chance/opportunity and your keeping our cool at the right times?

2)How much risk did you take overall?Was your portfolio in a position where if something had gone wrong you'd have lost your shirt? What's the role of leverage?Is it possible to increase your networth disproportionately without leverage?

3)And at what point does one decide to "work for yourself" and use dividend income to run the gas,choola et al at home?

If anyone has any questions related to 'building your networth' they can please add to the above.

Edited by prabhakarkudva - 16/Jan/2010 at 8:58pm
Take your chances and keep them in a box until a quieter time.
IP IP Logged
9StockPortfolio

Quote 9StockPortfolio Replybullet Posted: 16/Jan/2010 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by prabhakarkudva

I would like to believe that all those who were successful started small and after a series of events made it big.Now i would like those successful people to answer a few questions for the benefit of the rest of us:

I do not claim to be successful but would like to take this opportunity to share my thoughts on following questions.

1)Was your success in the markets a planned effort?Did you visualize your networth multiplying manifolds when your capital was small and took some broad portfolio decisions that led to your success?Or was your success a matter of chance/opportunity and your keeping our cool at the right times?

1) Initially investing was not planned effort, First Beginners Luck, Then 2008 market crash taught me a hard lesson. then I started again with plan.
2) Planning & patience helped me to get past of the 2008 crash. I could recover my lost capital and over it 30% profit as i have mentioned on my thread.

2)How much risk did you take overall?Was your portfolio in a position where if something had gone wrong you'd have lost your shirt? What's the role of leverage?Is it possible to increase your networth disproportionately without leverage?

1) I personally consider myself as High Risk taker.
2) There was nothing more left to happen in 2008, I was already down 60%.
3) Yes, Leverage is intergral part of my investing.
4) I personally believe that without leveraging it is impossible to increase your networth disproportionately.

3)And at what point does one decide to "work for yourself" and use dividend income to run the gas,choola et al at home?

Last year, i paid one EMI of my homeloan out of Dividend, it has just started. I will try to find more & more opportunities which will offer good sustainable dividend & some price appreciation.

Thanks Prabhakar.
9StockPortfolio
Pursuit of Value
IP IP Logged
Monkey

Quote Monkey Replybullet Posted: 16/Jan/2010 at 9:53pm

I do not think I am qualified to answer the questions as I have not reached comfort levels as far as networth is concerned and I do not have any sucess story to tell as such. (Hope to get some over a period of time).  But, these are good queries and I am curious to know views of members especially on point-3.

On thinking through it, I feel it is OK to hang boots if one's annual expense is 3% to 4% of investible networth, excluding self occupied house. This means if one's annual expense is 3 lacs to 4 lacs rupees, one needs one crore rupees networth. This networth can be emplyed to earn dividend yield enough to meet annual expense & which also rises over a period of time in line with inflation. For a person not comfortable betting entirely on dividend yield, there can be number of combination of debt and equity meeting the objectives.

Edited by Monkey - 16/Jan/2010 at 10:53pm
IP IP Logged
prabhakarkudva

Quote prabhakarkudva Replybullet Posted: 17/Jan/2010 at 9:39am
Thanks monk ji.But the real question is how does one go about chasing that one crore in the first place?Does it involve risking your entire networth on some great opportunity atleast once or one needs to use leverage or is it just plain chance?
Take your chances and keep them in a box until a quieter time.
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 17/Jan/2010 at 10:17am

Does it involve risking your entire networth on some great opportunity atleast once or one needs to use leverage ?

If you want to do it in less time then "Risking large parts of your N/W on some great opportunity which arrive by chance. The importance of chance finishes the moment the opportunity comes in front of you. From then on its the ability to bet hard on the basis of the available information(human skill)."

So chance is present for everyone not just the person who makes it big but the person who makes it big bets on that chance.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
9StockPortfolio

Quote 9StockPortfolio Replybullet Posted: 17/Jan/2010 at 10:55am
@Basantji,
Perfect description. Now Big bets using own money or borrowed is the second question. 1)If the person have enough money to bet on that chance, then no problem, but 2) If using available information(Interest rates & all) one can bet using some leverage, provided the returns from the workout are greater than the interest expenses and remaining profit worth millions.

In simple words, If a person finds an opportunity that X will be next hot thing in demand, so he borrows money, and starts manufacturing plant and producing the X thing...I find no difference in this & appropriate borrowing for that Chance.

Edited by 9StockPortfolio - 17/Jan/2010 at 10:55am
Pursuit of Value
IP IP Logged
aloksahi1971

Quote aloksahi1971 Replybullet Posted: 17/Jan/2010 at 11:08am
The forst part here is to build investable surplus.
Surplus can be had by earning much more than you spend ( note I have used the word Much).
Now this surplus generated must be used to invest. Investment oportunities rise every day.A clear understanding of the goal has to be there because this is your own money not the annuity of some insurance fund so likely expenses in  time bound manner chalked out.
Live much below your means even if it means being snigered on by aquintenses who have a lower net worth but a much more flasshy life style.Belive me the paper profits on stocks brought give high and many people start to spend much more in anticipation.
READ 'The Millionare next Door'
As far as opportunities go I guess contracting and real estate work in Bihar will outstip all other investment returns in the next 5 years!!!!!
Born To Golf forced to work.
IP IP Logged
vincent
Groupie
Groupie

Quote vincent Replybullet Posted: 17/Jan/2010 at 11:24am

[/QUOTE]

I recall reading in Beating the street by Peter Lynch,  an example of living on investment income with a portfolio comprised of 100% equities. I wonder if Mr. Basant was inspired after reading this chapter?

Time is your friend on the road to wellbeing.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 11 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version