Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: Family Expense Management Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
omshivaya

Online Status: Offline
Quote omshivaya Replybullet Topic: Family Expense Management
    Posted: 02/Jun/2009 at 5:22pm
We all have family expenses that we manage monthly. I was wondering what all that comprises of on a personal basis for each one and at what rate each component is increasing. And are there some components which are in fact decreasing in price rather than increase with inflation.

For example, someone's monthly expense may comprise of:

1) Elec. Bill
2) Landline bill
3) Mobile bill
4) Food and grocery items

Food prices are increasing yearly with inflation(I think). So, prices are up than what they used to be 5 years back. On the other hand, phone bills have been decreasing over the years due to cheaper tariff plans. I have no idea on the elec. bills on whether they are getting cheaper than earlier.

If it is okay, members can share their experiences here regarding family expenses management, both monthly expenses like above and annual expenses like house tax, life insurance premium, health premium.

This way, someone who wants to manage family expenses may learn a lot from experiences of each other
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
samirarora

Quote samirarora Replybullet Posted: 02/Jun/2009 at 5:56pm
You have forgotten to mention,
Expenses related to raising children (diapers, school, immunizations, clothes and what not)
Expenses related to entertainment, and what people do to keep their sanity , music, movies, restaurants , going out.
Expenses related to travelling.. petrol/diesel, vehicle maintenance.

More or less, as a thumb rule, i try and keep recurring expenses as low as possible... these are the ones, that i find are the real killers over time....as for one time expenses, there is no way to avoid them.

best of luck.
samir.
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 02/Jun/2009 at 6:13pm
Ya right those expenses are important too. Thanks for sharing    . My target for this thread was more in relation to recurring expenses.
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
jagbir

Quote jagbir Replybullet Posted: 13/May/2010 at 7:14pm
I'm managing my family expenses by using one pre-formatted Excel sheet. I've created this sheet per my preference and love to see many things get calculated automatically, easily extensible also. Tracking expenses in different categories like house rent, kitchen, bills, milk.. even newspaper Tongue all it takes 2 minutes to make entries every day.

Using this sheet for past 6-7 months and very happy to see that I'm able to track every penny which goes out of my pocket and gradually reducing monthly outgo by 5-7% without affecting lifestyle or being noticed by family members Wink

let me know, if anyone want to check it. I've written an article on my personal blog explaining it in more details but not going to paste blog link here per TED rules. Pls provide mail id, will forward the sheet to you.

~ Jagbir

Edited by jagbir - 13/May/2010 at 7:16pm
IP IP Logged
9StockPortfolio

Quote 9StockPortfolio Replybullet Posted: 13/May/2010 at 10:36am
Excel sheet is good option anytime. I use Credit card for every little transaction.
Grocery, Electricity, telephone, gas, cloths, shoes, movies, planes, jewelery, municipal taxes, insurance, medical bills, Baby expenses, personal expenses, travelling, petrol etc.
Only Bhel Puri & Ice cream can not be bought on Credit cards in Pune.

Then I can export all the transactions in excel, and immediately i can come to know where i am spending unnecessarily. I pull that excel into my own accounting software for recording purpose.

Credit Card is a great tool which has actually helped me to lower my spending and increase savings. Till date (in last 6 years) I have not paid single Paisa towards Credit Card Interest. I pay all my dues in time.

Pursuit of Value
IP IP Logged
FutureBull

Quote FutureBull Replybullet Posted: 13/May/2010 at 11:24am
in fact doing this way will increase your Credit score tremendously and help in taking loan later on
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.
IP IP Logged
jagbir

Quote jagbir Replybullet Posted: 14/May/2010 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by 9StockPortfolio

Credit Card is a great tool which has actually helped me to lower my spending and increase savings. Till date (in last 6 years) I have not paid single Paisa towards Credit Card Interest. I pay all my dues in time.

Credit card indeed great if used with care. I always pay on time and never paid any interest since 4 years of usage.

I got a trouble at one time where I've purchased some domain name and hosting space for my friend using my credit card on Godaddy website. Because the domain name should be in my friends name, I've used his godaddy account. To my surprise many websites including godaddy not only save records of all your credit card details but also renew various purchases automatically using that details. Shocked

So my friends purchases get renewed month by month automatically using my credit card details and I was not able to delete those details as friend changed password of his account but promised me to pay back all money. whatever, at last I surrendered (actually upgraded to new) my credit card to get rid of it.

So use your CC with care while purchasing online, better use virtual credit card which comes with much flexibility as we can create/delete these cards anytime.

~ Jagbir
IP IP Logged
manish_okhade

Quote manish_okhade Replybullet Posted: 14/May/2010 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by 9StockPortfolio

Credit Card is a great tool which has actually helped me to lower my spending and increase savings.

How?
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version