Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Identifying Multibaggers
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Identifying Multibaggers
Message Icon Topic: First Generation entrepreneurs and Multibaggers Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 5 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Topic: First Generation entrepreneurs and Multibaggers
    Posted: 19/Aug/2006 at 2:56pm

First Generation entrepreneurs and Multibaggers

A predominant number of the promoters in the multibaggers that we discussed in the section "All multibaggers started with small market caps" were first generation entrepreneurs. Even if they were second or third generation the companies that went up 40 50 or 60 times were all new ventures or start ups as we may call them.

Clearly the amount of stress that we pay on management integrity should not be focused on the past experience but more so on what they are and what they would like to become. Strangely none of the top multibaggers had the bigger names like:

   Tatas

   Birlas

   Ambanis

   Foreign company

Now many would argue that Tata could have been right at the top had they got TCS listed in 1995 but that is precisely the point I am trying to make. A good business house wills never give you something very cheap. A few examples that come to light are:

   Reliance intends to list its retail business once it is established but not today.

   Bharti never made an IPO for its agro business.

   M&M waited all these years to get its technology related business listed.

There is nothing wrong in following this strategy but the concept of trying to make a huge multibagger from an established promoter remains remote and undiscussed.

Established promoters can only give you a 3 to 5 multibagger. If you intend to make a 20 bagger you need to look at the new blood. This is because an established promoter will never sell his shares very cheap. He knows how to extract his pound or even half an pound of flesh. On the other hand the new promoter has no option. He needs money and would raise it irrespective of the valuations that he gets, banks would not finance him nor does he have personal resources to fund the plans.

Before I end just think of another event where people made huge money and some could not. In the early part of 2003 when Mobile Telephony was being introduced Reliance, Tatas, Hutch, Essar and BPL preferred to go alone while Bharti had no option but to come to the public. From the IPO price the stock is up 9 times whereas the Primary beneficiaries of Reliance Infocom have been the promoters and their group companies. Investors should think that real multibaggers will emerge from promoters who have an element of unknown quantity within them.

I think that the difference between established and first generation entrepreneurs is the lack of alternative opportunities. The newer breed of promoters have nothing to lose. As Nandan Nilekani once mentioned that he had started his career with Rs 250 and all he could lose was Rs 250. On the other hand if Ratan Tata were to mess up a big project he could land himself in trouble. They find it  better to take lesser risks and concentrate on existing businesses rather then jump head long into a new venture.

So as Mukesh Ambani admitted during a session at IIM that they missed the software boom because of their preoccupancy with Petrochemicals. Even if they had started software I doubt Investors would have been invited to take a share from the booming new venture.

Edited by basant - 16/Sep/2006 at 6:18pm
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
Ajith

Quote Ajith Replybullet Posted: 20/Aug/2006 at 12:05pm
I agree entirely.India is a vey largish growth story and so there are a growing number of such opportunities and if one catches the right stock early one could easily earn the returns got from Infosys in the past 12 or 13 years and that is a certainty.But execution risk being high it would be better to diversify.Pantaloon market cap can grow 10 times in 2 years if execution and format strategies work out. With the diversification tool in hand,the software sector is a good sector if one takes help from a domain expert and keeps PEG in mind.

Edited by Ajith - 20/Aug/2006 at 12:41pm
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 20/Aug/2006 at 12:44pm
Absolutely and that is why it is essential to have the downsides in mind so that you do not get a jolt. If you think electronic  media will do well you could buy TV 18 and NDTV, or Zee Tv with SUN Tv depoending which specific section you are more bullish on. That way we can cut down the event risk and still play the broad theme.But investing in companies like Sab Tv and ETC will trake you nowhere.

Given a choice I would put all my money in Pantaloon rather then Trent but just because I want to be hedged (partially) from an event risk I have taken an exposure to Trent. I am sure of one thing organized retailing will do extraordinarily well. Which companies would go up 10 times is debatable thouigh. It therefore makes sense to make a basket of the top three in each sector. Your losses from any one will be more then adequately compensated by the growth in the others.

I want to look at new management trying to establish integrity and honesty. Rarely will you get an establised managemnt in a new sector.

Edited by basant - 20/Aug/2006 at 1:02pm
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
Ajith

Quote Ajith Replybullet Posted: 20/Aug/2006 at 2:20pm
 Never even think of putting all your money in one stock even if it looks very good and even if it clicks that strategy has inherent  and deeprooted flaws.The world is too chaotic for that strategy to work consistently. I am saying this generally-not that anyone in his right senses will actually put all his eggs in one basket but there was this weird rule put up by a then(1991) leading now non-extistant financial weekly-Put all your eggs in one basket and watch that basket carefully.
          I think if I have the short to medium term in mind 3 to 5 will do.
          But my time perspective is minimum 6 years and hopefully I want to ensure my selection is so good that I do not have to exit/switch. So I need at least 15 stocks,I think.
          I agree with you on the electronic media stocks though on the face of it Sun TV looks overpriced.
          I have Trent.I think its a slower but steadier multibagger.Everyone knows its from the Tatas and so they  are wooed as anchors and customers are attracted on that alone. Pantalon may outperform Trent  and with that you will agree.
          No one is looking at the software sector seriously.R Damani 's choice Nucleus  Software looks good.

Edited by Ajith - 20/Aug/2006 at 4:04pm
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 23/Aug/2006 at 7:39pm
Mr. Ajit:Can you throw more light on the financial weekly that you are referring to what strategy they advised at that time and what went wrong. WOuld be very interesting to know(learn).
IP IP Logged
go4lalit

Quote go4lalit Replybullet Posted: 28/Aug/2006 at 10:43am
Another way to look at the Next Infosys or next leaders, as to from 5-10 years from now, what are the new entrants to the sensex.

All the new big growth stories like Infy, Wipro, HDFC, ICICI, Saytam entered the sensex in the late Nineties, Now the task is to indentify which companies/sectors will be in sensex in say 2015.

Obvisously, Retaining is going to be a big story in India, and the obviously Pantaloon/Trant will be the beneficiaries. Next line can be Internet stocks like, we have Amazon, AOL, Google in US. Can TV18 make it, with its Internet ventures? What are the other growing Internet companies in India with sound Business model & management.

New banks like Yes Bank and Insurance companies can also be the candidates from 5-10 year down the line.

Another area that I see is Energy. The demand for Energy will always increase. (I am thinking of how much Energy/Power/Oil we will need 20-25 years down the line). Now to indentify Niche businneses with good management in Power sector which are availabe at good price. Also this becomes indirect consumer play, as can you think of stop consuming power/electricity?

IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 28/Aug/2006 at 10:59am
Hey, I think EXACTLY the same way (on the sectors that you have put up).Without trying to cut you down there are many instances when companies entering the sensex are at their peak ZEE TV is one such example although ZEE met its disastor because of the management rather then any other reason.
IP IP Logged
prashantmohta

Quote prashantmohta Replybullet Posted: 29/Aug/2006 at 9:19pm
well in the long run a company cannot maintain its ROCE more than 25% (app.) and if in some cases like levers of the world has 60% in which there is very little scope left for expanding ROCE beyond this level.for investor its impossible to catch each and every rallies in its financial career because stocks gives extraordinary returns if it has been bought in its nascent stage.
we should expects reasonable returns from the market (26%) and in ten years your money has worked 10 times for you.my point is that if anybody wants to make serious money then diversified equity mutual funds is a best way to invest,and all mfs in india has given more than 26% in ten years,where most of the investors has burnt their fingers in two of our serios crashes.
prashantmohta,
IP IP Logged
Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version