Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: Financial Security - Going about it. Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 7 Next >>
nitin_jagtap

Online Status: Offline
Quote nitin_jagtap Replybullet Topic: Financial Security - Going about it.
    Posted: 09/Sep/2008 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by tyler_durden

Hi everyone....i had posted one long post earlier...but i think it got too boring Wink ...
Can you people share whether you set goals in ur life ??

Have you ever thought about ur true calling in life?? or something which if u re asked to do ..u can do it for free for rest of ur life???

Am trying to figure out what it is that i am really passionate about!!! earlier i thought that this wud be very easy but when i really started thinkin abt it...i realised this is one tough nut to crack....

can anyone guide me as in how to proceed???

Tyler ...you have really raised a very valid question ......true calling in life ..well to think about it and come up with a answer is really indeed a tough task  and I have also discussed this with my friends but nothing really conclusive ...but yes we should spend some time daily introspecting on this for a few weeks months and then I sure we can get the anwer from within our own self.
Warm REgards
Nitin Jagtap
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 09/Sep/2008 at 4:12pm

Hi everyone....i had posted one long post earlier...but i think it got too boring Wink ...

Have you ever thought about ur true calling in life?? or something which if u re asked to do ..u can do it for free for rest of ur life???

Am trying to figure out what it is that i am really passionate about!!! earlier i thought that this wud be very easy but when i really started thinkin abt it...i realised this is one tough nut to crack....

Tyler jee, this is a huge thing that you are wanting to do. 99.99% of people do not work on their true calling in life. The main problem is how to make the thing one is passionate about....generate income too for oneself??!!

If however earning income is already taken care of, then finding true calling becomes lot easier.

Why dont you try taking an aptitude test from a professional. The aptitude tests tell a person what he/she is naturally best at and what is his/her core competence. Also, try contacting a psychologist..they can guide one better in this regard.

My 5 cents...hope was of some help!

Edited by omshivaya - 09/Sep/2008 at 4:14pm
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
tyler_durden

Quote tyler_durden Replybullet Posted: 09/Sep/2008 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by nitin_jagtap

Tyler ...you have really raised a very valid question ......true calling in life ..well to think about it and come up with a answer is really indeed a tough task  and I have also discussed this with my friends but nothing really conclusive ...but yes we should spend some time daily introspecting on this for a few weeks months and then I sure we can get the anwer from within our own self.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep..u re right that answer is right within ourself...no one else can tell us what our true calling is...But most of the times we end up doing things under peer pressure and parental influence.....That is like living someone else's life....

till now i had limited options like going for MBA, CFA, Entreprenuership ... courtsey my peers and parents....

I know if i work hard i will be able to make a career and living pursuing any of these.....As i did earlier when i pursued engineering...But i didn't do it whole heartedly...all the time i was influenced by the fact "HOW TO MAKE MONEY??"

Om ji..Aptitude tests have shown that i have good i.q ... And so has other entrance tests ....But i dont like working tooo hard to make few extra bucks........

I am contributing less to TED in recent times because i started a business....I have learnt a great deal and hope to make money in next 5-6 months...But i don't feel the passion....

I am looking to find out something which i can do even if i am not paid a single penny for it....Something where in i will not be bothered about the reaction of the society...where i will be just concerned with myself....

I don't know whether i made my point clear or not....

And u rightly said 99% of people avoid this question thruout their lives....which is not a very good idea....
If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm.
IP IP Logged
bassein

Quote bassein Replybullet Posted: 09/Sep/2008 at 8:06pm

Tyler:

You are young and I hope you find happiness and peace of mind. I think I even if you can't find goals in life please concentrate on doing the right thing on a daily basis as far as other people are concerned. Always help and try to see that you benefit every one you come in contact with.

And yes, love your parents whatever their faults.
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 09/Sep/2008 at 8:10pm
The most important thing in life is financial security. I have read hundreds of quotes on happiness and family but the point is without money there is a very less probablity of anyone being happy.

Now the question is what constitutes financial security. For anyone in the stock market financial assets of Rs 1 crore or thereabouts should constitute financial security. That is my view. This 1 crore does assume that you have a home and would have about a 1-2% dividend yield and would make up for the balance of your livinge xpenses from capital gains.

If one is invested in debt this figure gets enhanced also equity investors should have a basic feel of investing so that they do not blow off this Rs 1 crore!!!

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 09/Sep/2008 at 8:48pm

Om ji..Aptitude tests have shown that i have good i.q ... And so has other entrance tests ....But i dont like working tooo hard to make few extra bucks........

I am contributing less to TED in recent times because i started a business....I have learnt a great deal and hope to make money in next 5-6 months...But i don't feel the passion....

I am looking to find out something which i can do even if i am not paid a single penny for it....Something where in i will not be bothered about the reaction of the society...where i will be just concerned with myself....

I don't know whether i made my point clear or not....

And u rightly said 99% of people avoid this question thruout their lives....which is not a very good idea....

Tyler jee, I am not talking of an IQ test, but rather an aptitude test. I took one when I was in the 12th standard. It shows what ones natural inclination is towards. Like for me, even though I was into the science stream...tHe test shoWed that my temperament was best suited for Finance and more precisely Statistics in Finance.

If someone keeps asking oneself every now and then that what is their true calling...they would be like a dog chasing its tail! Never ending and back to square one everytime. That is why better to go for scientific approach plus asking oneself, rather than just ask oneself.

I feel really happy that you have started your own business, congratulations Tyler jee and I hope it does great for you. But I again repeat, going for a thorough aptitude test would be the best way to find out what your natural frequency is and what you would feel most in sync with.

And all the above only makes sense when their is food in ones stomach or in other words..financial condition is secure. As Vivekananda said once: "Religion doesnt mean much to someone who has an empty stomach".

So, focus on filling stomach first and then expect them to listen to your words of wisdom.

Edited by omshivaya - 09/Sep/2008 at 8:52pm
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 09/Sep/2008 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by basant

For anyone in the stock market financial assets of Rs 1 crore or thereabouts should constitute financial security. That is my view. This 1 crore does assume that you have a home and would have about a 1-2% dividend yield and would make up for the balance of your livinge xpenses from capital gains.

Basant jee, would this be enough for someone having a monthly expenditure of 30,000 rupees(which obviously would keep increasing @inflation rate year after year). Also, how many years can this 1 crore last in that case.

Thanks for the insight, in advance!
IP IP Logged
tyler_durden

Quote tyler_durden Replybullet Posted: 10/Sep/2008 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by basant

The most important thing in life is financial security. I have read hundreds of quotes on happiness and family but the point is without money there is a very less probablity of anyone being happy.

Now the question is what constitutes financial security. For anyone in the stock market financial assets of Rs 1 crore or thereabouts should constitute financial security. That is my view. This 1 crore does assume that you have a home and would have about a 1-2% dividend yield and would make up for the balance of your livinge xpenses from capital gains.

If one is invested in debt this figure gets enhanced also equity investors should have a basic feel of investing so that they do not blow off this Rs 1 crore!!!

true...100% true...and omji u have quoted vivekananda..makes sense Tongue at times i feel like a dog chasing its tail...or kasturi mrig searching for source of the source of fragrance....

But one thing is sure..the solution lies within ourself....

Om ji can you tell me where i can find this aptitude test in delhi or NCR???

and thnx a lot for best wishes Embarrassed
If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version