Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: Financial Planning and Investing Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 7 Next >>
rohit

Online Status: Offline
Quote rohit Replybullet Topic: Financial Planning and Investing
    Posted: 14/Aug/2006 at 11:43pm

What exactly is financial planning, and why is it so important?

Financial planning is the process of determining how to manage money, investing, present and future financial goals, and the strategy that should be undertaken to obtain them.

Because our goals and desires change as we do, financial planning and investing is a task that is never finished. How we are financially able to reach these goals, and the risk we are willing to take to get there, necessarily means that any financial plan must be specifically tailored for an individual or family.

Financial planning begins by taking into account each individual's assets and liabilities at that particular point in time.

The asset category includes life insurance and monetary investments of all kinds, along with physical assets such as a home, automobiles and other items.

Liabilities may range from personal loans, credit card debt, and loans taken to obtain hard assets, such as mortgages.

Next is where sources of ongoing income and increases in hard asset wealth enter into the equation. Income most usually is earned by employment, but other sources, such as possible inheritances, must also be considered.

Increases in hard asset wealth, such as rising home prices, will be affected by general economic conditions as well as owner enhancements.

From here, things get trickier, and this is where the true planning begins!

Our particular stage in life -- whether we are young, old, or somewhere in the middle -- will usually lead us to desire a particular set of goals.

Financial planners often break down our life cycles into distinct phases. Which phase we are in is often determined by age but will also be dictated by how much risk we are willing to assume.

Younger people are most often described as being in an accumulation phase. Their earnings have not yet hit their peak, but at the same time they are striving to obtain both hard and soft assets.

Examples here include saving for a new home or a child's education. Risk assumed here will be tempered by the time constraints of these goals as well as individual risk tolerance. In general, the longer the time frame, the more investments in the aggressive category may be considered.

The other phases extend to middle age and beyond to retirement. Our middle age years often find us at the peak of our earning power, with many of our former goals satisfied. This will mean greater savings are possible, and as time progresses towards retirement, our tolerance for risk will necessarily diminish.

Financial planning takes all of this into account and more. Other factors, including planning for health care and other insurance needs, preparation for emergency expenditures, tax and estate planning and the like will all be part of the strategy.

Unexpected windfalls may also enter into the picture. Saving for retirement becomes increasingly important as the time earned income will end draws nearer.

All of these variables add to the importance of financially planning across all stages of one's life. It is a concept that encompasses your total financial picture -- both in the present and for the future.

IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 27/May/2007 at 12:23pm
Let's not talk about saturday nights please. After Aishwarya Rai's marriage, bachelors like us are in a pretty bad shape. I thought I had the best chance of marrying Aishwarya - after Vivek Oberoi, Salman Khan and Om Ji - in that order. Pataa nahin kahaa sey aa tapka yeh Abhishek.

I would never EVER EVER go for an ULIP

ULIP is criminal waste

I have heard these anti-ULIP statements a couple of times - mostly on TED I think. I signed up for a ULIP when it first came out because I was very excited about such a product (and I didn't know that darned agent took away 40% of the premium amount in the first year).

However, I think ULIPs make sense for some people. These are generally youngsters earning salaries of Rs. 20,000 or Rs. 30,000 per month with no financial discipline at all. My friends earn good money but their bank accounts are mostly in a sorry state because of their spending habits and disinterest in investments.

These people don't mind breaking a MF SIP to buy that cool new cellphone. For such people, ULIP might make sense because there are restrictions on breaking ULIPs (and generally these indisciplined youngsters leave the ULIP alone as a 'long term investment'). 
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 27/May/2007 at 12:35pm
However, I think ULIPs make sense for some people. These are generally youngsters earning salaries of Rs. 20,000 or Rs. 30,000 per month with no financial discipline at all. My friends earn good money but their bank accounts are mostly in a sorry state because of their spending habits and disinterest in investments.

These people don't mind breaking a MF SIP to buy that cool new cellphone. For such people, ULIP might make sense because there are restrictions on breaking ULIPs (and generally these indisciplined youngsters leave the ULIP alone as a 'long term investment'). 

This does not make the product (ULIP) better a person can also sign up for the tax saver SIP. In this case the problem is more of attitude and self restraint rather then of signing up for a good product.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 27/May/2007 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by sMAR-KAT

I thought I had the best chance of marrying Aishwarya - after Vivek Oberoi, Salman Khan and Om Ji - in that order. Pataa nahin kahaa sey aa tapka yeh Abhishek.

Arre smartcat jee, I should officially make it clear that I was never interested in your dreamgirl! So, your road is clear...!

Dont worry I shall edit the list for you(apne hatho ko rest bhi do)...vWake, SALAman and s-MARkat

Dil par mat lijiyega...sab cool mood mein hain isliye maine bhi dhora saaf kar liya. Bahti Ganga ji mein sab haath saaf karte hain! Jai Gange Maata!

Btw, Abhi Shok kar ke kya fyaada...Abhi Shek AishWar-wadhoo bana ke le gaya!!!

But Abhi Aishwarya Ya AishWAR hoga, woh unke bachho ke Bachchan, oops...Bachphan par depend karega!

Edited by omshivaya - 27/May/2007 at 2:33pm
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 23/Jul/2007 at 4:39pm
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 23/Jul/2007 at 5:28pm
nteresting but they need to monetise it. www.ameriprise.com is the larget personal finance agency in the US.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
Shankru

Quote Shankru Replybullet Posted: 04/Aug/2007 at 10:21pm
I would like to seek the suggestions of TED on the following. Suppose I would like to make a career out of investing in the stock market. Would I be better off as a) an Individual investor? b) a proprietary concern or c) a partnership concern?. I am given to understand that in a partnership, one can draw salary and therefore minimize the tax outgo.
I know it's all Maaya
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 04/Aug/2007 at 12:08pm
Keep your stocks for one year and pay 0 taxes since long term capital gains are tax free.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version