Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Fundamental
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Fundamental
Message Icon Topic: TED & how it influenced my investing Strategy Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 12 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Topic: TED & how it influenced my investing Strategy
    Posted: 17/Oct/2007 at 5:40pm
Continued from:My Investing Strategy

Originally posted by kulman

Basant jee

That's interesting.

I wanted to ask this question to you for quite sometime. How much impact TED has had on your thought process? Meaning....had TED not happened, would you have behaved differently with your investments?

A lot. it has changed the entire mental set up. Without TED I would have just bought HDFC bank in the banking sector that is because here I learnt how to analyse banking stocks through Mr Praharaj's sermons!While X-Box was a vocal force in YES Bank I would have never bothered to check up the fundamentals of that company had it not been for that constant barrage of posts day in and day out.

Now buying HDFC Bank would have been the easiest thing to do but certainly not the best.That is because this is a discovered company. Axis I thought would be as good and efficient a bank avaialbel at a discount to HDFC bank.

One video that made a huge difference to me was Buffet's comment on LTCM " They bet what was necessary and important to achieve what was unnecessary and unimportant"!

I thought of my stocks a similar way and thought of diversifying. But the moment i started to buy new companies from new sectors I was again disturbed by that Buffet thought of putting a huge amount of money in Amex because that was a better option.

So while normally I could have let some of the relatively overvalued positions run in the portfolio I decided not to. On the other hand reading so much about Buffet day in and day out I was introduced to banks and insurance companies but I did not buy Insurance companies like that because Buffet did not suggest buying Insurance companies at any price.

So when we got to pricing I started to look at banks and above all Pabrai's concept of heads I win and Tails I do not lose much fitted the bill perfectly.

Now coming back to the company I love to hate "Educomp" my bhua's son is in that PE which exited Educomp. I will not take names here but I did not listen to him when the price was right to buy but as soon as the price went above my head I had to raise an alarm. That is because I had to justify stocks from the posts and we canm justify a stock only upto one or two year forward earnings.Had it not been for TED I would have held on and made some money but would have risked myself from losing my  capital one fine day -TED taught me to discuss stocks with resposnsibility and look more at the fundamentals rather then the price.

Who thought that stocks would fall 15% today but they did and we came out of it very well. At TED I learnt not to panic, I learnt that all these smart guys on the idiot box are only as good as the box.

I do not care where stocks go earlier I used to handle gossips from people who used to call up and say "Dekha RNRL ka bhaav!" These days I say "Agar tere paas nahi hai toh what are you gaining from discussing about a stock which neither me nor you hold?"

TED has changed me a lot. I was very aggressive when TED started. Wanted to answer any question on Tv18 and PRIL. these days I am not bothered if I find someone with an intention that extends more into argument then understanding.My favourite quote is “Do what you want to after all it is your money”

I avoid entering into any communication with people whose agenda is not one of discussion but of argument.

·          I do not care if some one calls and tells me that I made a 100 bagger in Unitech because making a 100 bagger from a 1% allocation can create excitement but making a 100 bagger from a 50% allocation can change a life!

·          I learnt that markets could go higher then we think and lower then we fear.

·          I learnt about Buffet and Pabrai.

·          I learnt how an engineer who had little financial knowledge could pick up a winner and stick to it.

·          I learnt how a person  who is barely 20 could bet on stocks  with reason.

·          I learnt the passion that makes people who are not doing any other work. have a dream about creating wealth from this market.

·          I learnt that chatting sites and discussion forum is a place where people can communicate for 15 months without using abusive language.

·          I learnt that there is more to life then making a lot of money.I get several offers of a partnership and turning this site as pay but that is not what TED was conceived for. There are several ways to make money.

·          I learnt how much we could help each other without writing a single check. TED is like a river that flows across our homes and all that we have to do is go out and take a bucket of water.

·          Overall I have gained from TED as much as you all have but in my own ways  

Edited by basant - 27/Apr/2010 at 8:00pm
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 17/Oct/2007 at 6:01pm
Hypothetical question - let's assume you had not invested in Pantaloon and TV18, the multi-baggers that changed your financial life.

Would the situation have been any different? Don't you think you would still be trying to discover multi-baggers like in 2003, rather than invest in something like Yes Bank or Axis bank?  There is a huge difference between investing 50% of wealth in Pantaloon at Rs. 300 crore market cap and investing in Yes Bank at Rs. 6,000 crore market cap.

TED or no TED, What I'm trying to say is - those two magic stocks has resulted in enormous wealth for you already - and this has reduced your inclination/hunger to gain more wealth.  

Edited by basant - 17/Oct/2007 at 7:39am
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 17/Oct/2007 at 6:07pm

Sometimes words can't express how much we really want to say, so I'll simply say: "THANK YOU". "For Everything".

>> "TED is FAMILY NUMBER TWO for me".

>> TED if pronounced backwards spells DET, which sounds like Debt, which is what we all owe to TED.
A life-long DET to TED.

>> More than making money, it is the process of making money, which has given me a mission in life.

>> It is the way I feel when I see a TEDDy jump with joy when a common TED stock is going great guns.

>> Finally it is the feeling of a 2nd home/good friend at TED, that is the TOP point always on my mind. Finally, I get that one-for-all-all-for-one gang...Tongue

Edited by omshivaya - 17/Oct/2007 at 6:16pm
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 17/Oct/2007 at 6:09pm
waah waah! Makes lot of sense, Om!
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 17/Oct/2007 at 6:12pm
No. Hunger for wealth has not reduced. I cannnot find favourable risk reward situations and hence this flight to steady growth. Many people have said this to me but that is the point I wanted to raise in the article Sensex@2010 – Thoughts and Strategies  If I find any other stock witha favourable risk reward profile then if not invest I would surely put it up at TED for discussion. The fact that I have not put it up for discussion means that I am unable to find one and though that may look a negative statement I prefer to play safe then make a blind dash for things.

Over a period of time I repeat multibaggers result from essentially a PE expansion. Everything else is incidental so the first thing is to look for a stock growing at 50% and selling at 10 times earnings!It has to be a sector leader because we seldom have a situation where the sector leader does not perform in comparison to the other stocks.

When i bet on PRIL and TV18 in 2003 those stocks came with limited downside risks now RNRL has been a 4 bagger in 6 months but for that we need to have insider information because there has been no change in fundamentals.Stocks like these will always come up and we have to take that in our stride. 

The ones growing at 60% right now are selling for 100 times earnings so EPS has to grow and compensate for that fal in PE.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 17/Oct/2007 at 6:21pm
The ones growing at 60% right now are selling for 100 times earnings so EPS has to grow and compensate for that fal in PE.
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 17/Oct/2007 at 6:28pm
Hmm OK. Glad to know that TED was actually useful to you too.

I get several offers of a partnership and turning this site as pay but that is not what TED was conceived for. There are several ways to make money. 

Hey! My mail to you regarding the partnership offer was supposed to be private! LOL

IP IP Logged
johnnybravo

Quote johnnybravo Replybullet Posted: 17/Oct/2007 at 6:41pm
Bansantji,

By far, till now this is the best quote that I have ever come across on TED:

"TED is like a river that flows across our homes and all that we have to do is go out and take a bucket of water."

Hats off to you for putting such wonderful words!
IP IP Logged
Page  of 12 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version