Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Identifying Multibaggers
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Identifying Multibaggers
Message Icon Topic: Sensex@2010 – Thoughts and Strategies Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 12 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Topic: Sensex@2010 – Thoughts and Strategies
    Posted: 06/Oct/2007 at 11:07am

Sensex@2010 – Thoughts and Strategies

I wanted to caption this topic as Sensex@35k but then I thought who am I to decide whether the sensex will  be at 35,000 in 2010 or at 53,000 by that time. We can only debate whether the market is bullish or bearish the extent and magnitute is decided by the invisible hand  individuals and institutions that collectively make Mr. Market.

In the last four and a half years we have made money like bandits in this market. People who were able to hold on to their stocks made big multibaggers in their portfolio not just in stocks. The ride has been tremendous and maybe in our life time we will never get a chance to see something like this again. Who knows?

I am a cricket buff and while watching the recently concluded Twenty- 20 series I tried connecting the analogy into our investing startegies.Suppose Team A scores 150 in their alloted 20 overs and Team B is put into bat manages to get to 100 for 1 in the first ten overs. What would the strategy be for Team B? They would need to play sensibly without talking risks and also try to protect the good start.The anchors would drop and the batsmen would play with more caution and with more ground strokes, the sixes would evaporate and the singles would be the order of the day.

Even in investing when we started in 2000 - 01 we started with a  nothing to lose type of a feeling and that initiated a lot of high risk high reward strategy but now we need to play safely with caution because:

a)      There are no such sure shot bargains (multibaggers) available

b)      If at all there are these multibagers come with associated risk because something that could not have performed for 5 years will find it extremely difficult to justify its market cap expansion in the next 12-24 months.

c)       We know that the biggest money is made in  PE re-rating.and from what it seems all stocks are discounting a couple of years ahead so PE expansion is out of question. In that event it is the EPS growth that will have to help us in market cap expansion.

d)      We do discuss that 90% of the EPS growth is influenced by the RoE and RoCE. and that no company can grow at more then its RoE (some exceptions here) and no company indicates an RoE of more then 40% consistently(very few exceptions here).

e)      For a company to keep growing at a RoE of more then 40% is almost impossible. At some stage size becomes its enemy or competitors sill never leave a business that shows such growth. We need monopolies or brands to generate that kind of growth.

f)        But the brands are already discounting 2 years ahead of their time.

Over the number of years I have never seen a big multibagger emerge from a company that trades at a PE of 30 times and above current year. 60% of the multibaggers evolutes from PE expansion and only about 40% of that market cap expansion is a derivative of an EPS expansion. So if a Pantaloon has become a 65 bagger today its PE ratio has gone up 10 times and the EPS has expanded 6.5 times. Ditto for all the big multibaggers across the board.

So while we are fairly sure that the any gains that investors make will be out of EPS expansion only (in case of high PE stocks) what we need to see is the risk reward trade off that we encounter in the constant pursuit for that ultimate multibagger.

It is not fashionable to tell someone that you are looking at a 35-45% CAGR for the next two and a half years but it is not wise to destroy all the wealth that we have created over the years. Time to visit this thread again – every day

I am prepared to hold a high PE stocks in some special situatins when the company is undergoing a spin off/restructuring etc but even then we need to watch the stocks very closely.

Sensex at 53,000 looks a great deal in 3 years but that comes to a CAGR of 45% only!!!

To my cricketing analogy someone mentioned that investing is not a Twenty – 20 but a Test Match. To that my argument is that we can always play a second innings as long as we do not “retire hurt” in the first innings.

“Have you become fearful?”  Is a question that I face each day and my answer is “Yes, I have. I am extremely fearful to stocks that do not have a favorable risk reward” and if we can find one there is no one that stops us from selling our stable stocks into the more adventurous ones.

In this fierce bull market investors should end their greed themselves because otherwise Mr. Market will end both the investor and his greed – together.

Edited by basant - 06/Oct/2007 at 11:32am
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
catcall

Quote catcall Replybullet Posted: 06/Oct/2007 at 11:18am
On the Subject, Cris Wood Of CLSA had indicated in one of his recent interviews to CNBC that "his long term target for the Sensex is 40,000". This statement had me confused.... one- How long term is long term? and most importantly, in view of the numerous unknown variables involved, what is the sanctity of such a statement? I mean, we all know the cliche of the "indian growth story and how intact it is" still........ 
There are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate-when he can't afford it and when he can-Happy investing!
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 06/Oct/2007 at 11:45am
Great article as usual Basant sir, and each word written is really heavy. Very true, but people who have started their investing journey just recently may today be in the same mindset that someone was when they started before this bull run.

However, caution is the "way to go". A good risk:reward story/stock needs to be looked for on a daily basis. Who knows, something may be hiding somewhere.
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
reetesh

Quote reetesh Replybullet Posted: 06/Oct/2007 at 11:45am

I wonder why we are looking @ 2010 as climax year?

Anyways, but I am sure there will a time where we will have big lull (call it as consolidation) before the big bang move starts
(Bears will come back for 1 year or so and then Bull`s will (or shall) make final assault)..
When going gets tough, that’s when tough (people) gets going.
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2007 at 1:15pm
Yeah Reetesh jee is right. The title of the thread needs to be amended suitably.

Now, continuing to apply the analogy of new cricket rules....investors could wait patiently for a FREE HIT after a no-ball. Remember, under a free hit, batsman can't be given out except as run-out. So it's like Mohnish Pabrai's HEADS I WIN; TAILS I DON'T LOSE MUCH! And there would be Free Hits available in this globalised world.

Playing momentum with leverage should be avoided. Moreover, expectations of returns should be realistic.

And even at the cost of repetition, it would always pay to listen to the Master:

The important qualities you need are intelligence, patience, and interest, but the biggest thing is to be rational. In ‘97-8, people weren’t rational. People got caught up with what other people were doing. Don’t get caught up with what other people are doing. Being a contrarian isn’t the key, but being a crowd follower isn’t either. You need to detach yourself emotionally. You need to think about what is going on around you. Being in Omaha helps me in that regard. When I was in NYC, I had 50 people whispering in my ear before noon. It’s hard sometimes, like when the Internet craze hit. Nobody likes to see their neighbor doing stupid things and getting rich. It was like Cinderella’s ball, I think I’ll just have one more dance, it’s not midnight yet. Sounds simple – but it is hard to leave the party. The problem with stocks is they don’t have clocks. You don’t know when it will be midnight so you can leave the party. My partner Charlie Munger and Tony Nicely at Geico are always rational. 160 IQs can say stupid things that sound good. People do silly things, whether they have 120 IQ or 160. You can always improve your rational thought. Rationality is the only thing that helps you. One thing that could help would be to write down the reason you are buying a stock before your purchase. Write down “I am buying Microsoft @ $300B because…” Force yourself to write this down. It clarifies your mind and discipline. This exercise makes you more rational.----Warren Buffet

Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
batrarubal

Quote batrarubal Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2007 at 1:24pm
who could have thought JAICORP tp reach 15000. similarly sensex@2010 to be around 35000 is a positive thought and quite rightly so.
IP IP Logged
prosperity

Quote prosperity Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2007 at 1:51pm
This Bull Mrkt would NOT END before bringing up Excessive Froth and Exuberance !

Latter can be seen by everyone - Only then avoid being greedy ... As of now, try to be as greedy as possible !! 

Fearing at wrong times, can cut down the beautiful ride you are having by sitting on your potential multibaggers !!!

Edited by prosperity - 07/Oct/2007 at 1:54pm
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2007 at 2:09pm
Rakesh Bhaiyya said on NDTV's Big Fight that during extreme euphoria stage P/E would get replaced by Price-to-Fantasy ratios.
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
Page  of 12 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version