Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Equity Valuation Techniques
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Equity Valuation Techniques
Message Icon Topic: Analysts' Reports: What to look for? Post Reply Post New Topic
kulman

Online Status: Offline
Quote kulman Replybullet Topic: Analysts' Reports: What to look for?
    Posted: 28/May/2008 at 1:15pm

Originally posted by deepinsight

Originally posted by basant

GENERAL THOUGHT - With due regard to these guys I see no reason why we should believe them. Each quarter they come out tweaking at the numbers and extrapolate the current scenario into the future.

My comments should not be viewed in terms of what
Voltas would do but moseso in terms of the pitfalls of relying on someone who is not betting his own money.

I find it quite useful to read the reports as they have access to the managment & their prevailing thoughts at the moment. I think Basantee's comment that we should not extrapolate or take the detailed projections as truth is relevant.

However, many of the analysts (even from Enam) have made good calls on issues impacting individual companies (they are not 100% right) - we still need to make our own calls.

Right, we need to have independent thinking & be responsible for owning failure/success arising out of it without blaming others.

The other thing is, we should anyway scan this report for the underlying thoughts as the rest of the investment community is also getting fed the same diet.

While one should not become contrarian just for the sake of it, but it pays in the long run to eat what's not the flavour of the season because one gets to buy at depressed prices.

"As an investor, you need to buy a post office scale. When all the reports on a stock or sector are light, it means 'buy'. Conversely, when the weekly reports you receive on an industry add to several kilos then 'sell'! So, after all, brokerage research does have a very useful function but not through its content but weight.

And also....

Mimicking the herd invites regression to the mean (merely average performance) ---Charlie Munger

Our job as individual investors is to digest the reports and be resolute in our own thoughts & investment thesis.

Absolutely true.

Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 28/May/2008 at 4:21pm

Brokerage report gives a nice snapshot about a company. You could try and get this info from the company website, business websites, management presentation etc - but reading about a company from a third party's perspective is always a good thing.

From an analyst report, I look at the following -

- Earnings estimates

- Past financial performance

- Pros & Cons of investing in the company

- The bigger macro picture (Eg: Organized retail sector is growing at 30% per annum, Rupee is expected to settle at Rs. 35 levels etc)

- Future initiatives taken by the company

- Segmental results (if the company is diversified)

IP IP Logged
jain208

Quote jain208 Replybullet Posted: 28/May/2008 at 5:01pm

I too go thru the research reports on most of my stocks( although most of my stocks aren't tracked by any broker). But I look them just to know about the business details and the future plans of the management. I simply ignore the price targets and the earnings estimates part..
=======================================
The more it changes, the more it’s the same thing.
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 28/May/2008 at 5:33pm
To me the subjective (business model, management, scale of opportunity) is very important from where I try and deduce objectivity (earning numbers) on my own.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version