Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

B-Schools
 The Equity Desk Forum :Careers :Build careers in Finance :B-Schools
Message Icon Topic: The unpredictable cat Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
Ambarish
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote Ambarish Replybullet Posted: 27/Jul/2006 at 12:26pm
here's something to help you with your verbal ability section
Preposition this page contents are
a) the universal rule
b) caution
c) list of preposition

a) the universal rule for preposition is preposition+noun
after a preposition there is always noun no verb no anything else has to be a noun that's the universal rule the thumb rule the golden rule or whatever fancy name you can think of but with preposition this is the one rule
B)

Six (6) of these prepositions can also be subordinating conjunctions . In other words,they can be followed by a noun or by a sentence, depending on the meaning
for example

After lunch, I felt sleepy.
o In this sentence, After is a preposition and is therefore followed by
only one noun, lunch (no verb here!!).
After I worked twelve hours, I felt tired.
o In this sentence, After is a subordinating conjunction and is followed
by a sentence, I worked twelve hours.
these six words are
A) after
B) as
C) before
D) for
E) since
F) until

c) list of preposition ( u better have atleast 90% of these words in your brains hammer it in there if you need to

List

1. aboard 2. about 3. above 4. absent 5. according to 6. across 7. after (This one can also be a subordinating conjunction . In other words, it can be followed by a noun or a sentence, depending on the meaning). 8. against 9. ahead of 10. all over 11. along 12. alongside 13. amid or amidst 14. among 15. around 16. as (This one can also be a subordinating conjunction . In other words, it can be followed by a noun or a sentence, depending on the meaning). 17. as of 18. as to 19. as + ADVERB OF TIME + as 20. as early as 21. as late as 22. as often as 23. as much as  24. as many as, etc. 25. aside 26. astride 27. at 28. away from 29. bar 30. barring 31. because of 32. before (This one can also be a subordinating conjunction . In other words, it can be followed by a noun or a sentence, depending on the meaning). 33. behind 34. below 35. beneath 36. beside 37. besides 38. between 39. beyond 40. but 41. by 42. by the time of 43. circa 44. close by 45. close to 46. concerning 47. considering 48. despite  49. down 50. due to 51. during 52. except 53. except for 54. excepting 55. excluding 56. failing 57. for (This one can also be a subordinating conjunction . In other words, it can be followed by a noun or a sentence, depending on the meaning). 58. for all (this means despite) 59. from 60. given 61. in 62. in between 63. in front of 64. in keeping with 65. in place of 66. in spite of 67. in view of 68. including 69. inside 70. instead of

71. into 72. less 73. like 74. minus 75. near  76. near to 77. next to 78. otwithstanding 79. of 80. off 81. on 82. on top of 83. onto 84. opposite 85. other than 86. out 87. out of 88. outside 89. over 90. past 91. pending 92. per 93. plus 94. regarding 95. respecting 96. round 97. save 98. saving 99. similar to 100. since (This one can also be a subordinating conjunction . In other words, it can be followed by a noun or a sentence, depending on the meaning). 102. than 103. thanks to (this means because of) 104. through 105. throughout 106. till 107. to 108. toward or towards (both forms are correct, but toward is considered slightly more formal) 109. under 110. underneath 111. unlike 112. until (This one can also be a subordinating conjunction . In other words, it can be followed by a noun or a sentence, depending on the meaning). 113. unto 114. up 115. upon 116. up to 117. versus 118. via 119. wanting 120. with 121. within 122. without

i hope this mail helps you out with your sentence correction in your cat paper

www.halwasiya.uni.cc
“Wining is not everything, it is the only thing”
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 27/Jul/2006 at 8:24pm

Since you are a budding CAT aspirant tell me how many people can really change their mind to this type of learning. I mean the last time I learnt nown and pronown was in primary school - never thought of thinking what comes first and when you go to these educational institutions how tough is it to really adapt to their processes.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
Ambarish
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ambarish Replybullet Posted: 27/Jul/2006 at 10:29pm
well the thing is, we havebeen using this language for such a long time  that we tend to devlop  something like a sixth sense  when you come across mistakes you have a feeling that this is wrong its basically a gut feel there i'll say for example we read whatever documents it in english whatever we write its in english and to most extent we have started to use english in verbal communication also so u really dont have to adopt to anything its always been there you just need to realise it 
www.halwasiya.uni.cc
“Wining is not everything, it is the only thing”
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 27/Jul/2006 at 10:42pm
Right I understand that but the nown before the pronown etc is what caught me. I did not understand that and that is why I thought if adapting to this mechanism of learning is difficult or not.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version