Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: Case Study 2- Financial Planning Post Reply Post New Topic
omshivaya

Online Status: Offline
Quote omshivaya Replybullet Topic: Case Study 2- Financial Planning
    Posted: 22/Apr/2007 at 4:18am
Here is another case study for you Basant sir. Someone some years back had this puzzle to solve. I shall pass your plan to her and hopefully it shall help her in someway

Her situation is as follows:

1) She is 35 years old.

2) She is non-working and housewife and is pretty busy to find time to get a job etc.

3) She has monthly expenses of around 3,500 rupees.

4) She has a lumpsum amount of 20 lac rupees.

Now, what she wants is this:

a) Manage her expenses and have some cash for urgency, something like 1-2K per month maybe. This 3500+ monthly that she would earn, should obviously grow each year with a 7% inflation rate.

b) Let us assume life expectancy of 100 years as in all our cases. She is 35 now.

c) She wants her 20 lacs to do (a) and (b), and also this 20 lac should grow over time. Since this is her only savings, she could be called a low to medium risk-taker.

Now, how does this situation feel to you(financial health) and what is a possible plan.

PS: I shall add many more such cases(find on the internet) so that we can try crunching the solutions at TED.

Edited by omshivaya - 22/Apr/2007 at 4:20am
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
kaushalchawla

Quote kaushalchawla Replybullet Posted: 22/Apr/2007 at 6:51am

Hi,

I would like to contribute here. One very conservative (mixed with a bit of aggressive case) could be this.

Let her invest 20Lakhs in debt at 8.5-9%. whatever interest money she gets out of it, extract around 3.5-4 k for home expenses and invest the rest in equity. This way her 20Lakhs is safe. And she can get a taste of equity as well.

Comments invited.
Warm Regards,
Kaushal
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 22/Apr/2007 at 9:02am
We need to assume that inlfation of 7% so the incremental real interest rate at 8.5% fixed deposit is only 1.5% interest rate => That means the net interest amount will be Rs 30k per month whereas she needs Rs 42k as per inflation adjusted amounts.

Problem is longer she lives greater the problem becomes because expenditure rises faster in the later years so tyhe best option is to start a equity SIP with the difference amount in the initial years and use that equity money in the later years as that SIP increases in value.

What does our Financial Planner (Om) say?
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 23/Apr/2007 at 1:22pm
I would say she needs to have a decent exposure to equity, maybe 50%-50% in equity and MIP(debt) respectively. She can invest the whole sum in a lumpsum, so what seems to be the best idea dunno. Maybe Basant sir can help here with a detailed outlook like in Kaushal jee's case.
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
pramodjain

Quote pramodjain Replybullet Posted: 23/Apr/2007 at 8:46pm

I think she should put all her money in equity and keep cash equivalent to expenses of six month in a liquid or a short term debt fund on a consistent basis. . She may use Equity mutual fund as she is a housewife. My choice in  MF is HDFC equity. Direct stock portfolio is not suitable  for her . Smile

IP IP Logged
smithbell81

Quote smithbell81 Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2011 at 4:03pm
< ="Content-" content="text/; charset=utf-8">< name="ProgId" content="Word.">< name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><>

< ="Content-" content="text/; charset=utf-8">< name="ProgId" content="Word.">< name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><>

I have recently been looking to save some money, but also to get some good insurance. I do not have much experience with it. However, I would like to know what are the first two steps in personal financial planning, as that is something I need to do first. If anyone could help me, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Personal Financial Planning

Edited by smithbell81 - 18/Oct/2011 at 4:05pm
IP IP Logged
LearningToFly

Quote LearningToFly Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2011 at 5:40pm
In the meantime, why can't she take tuition and earn some money. I can understand that she may not take full time job, but she can certainly do it and earn some extra cash.
Success... at all cost.
IP IP Logged
somu0915

Quote somu0915 Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2011 at 8:45pm
you just woke up a four year sleeping thread.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version