Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: Seven commandments of wealth Post Reply Post New Topic
Ambarish
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote Ambarish Replybullet Topic: Seven commandments of wealth
    Posted: 28/Jul/2006 at 2:11pm

Seven commandments of wealth

1) Start thy purse to fattening

“For every ten coins thou placest within thy purse take out for use but nine. Thy purse will start to fatten at once and its increasing weight will feel good in thy hand and bring satisfaction to thy soul”

2) Control thy expenditure

“Budget thy expense that thou mayest have coins to pay for thy necessities to pay for the enjoyment and to gratify thy worthwhile desires without dpending more than nine-tenth of thy earning

3) Make thy gold multiply

“Put each coin to laboring that it may produce its kind even as flocks of the field and help to bring to thee income, a stream of wealth that shall flow constantly to thy purse”

4) Guard thy treasures from lost

“Guard thy treasure from lost by investing only were thy principal is safe, where it may be reclaimed if desirable, and where thou will not fail to collect a fair rental. Consult with wise men. Secure the advice of those experienced in profitable handling of gold. Let their wisdom protect thy treasure from unsafe investments”

5) Make of thy dwelling a profitable investment

“Own thy own home”

6) Insure a future income

“Provide in advance for the needs of thy growing age and the protection of thy family”

7) Increase thy ability to earn

“Cultivate thy own power, to study and become wiser, to become more skilful. To act as to respect thyself”

Excerpt from "The richest man in Babylon"

Edited by Ambarish - 28/Jul/2006 at 4:22pm
www.halwasiya.uni.cc
“Wining is not everything, it is the only thing”
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 28/Jul/2006 at 6:05pm

Makes some very interesting reading but if I may with your permission change the language a bit so that it becomes more meaningful to the common man. Here is my interpretation of your pearls of wisdom.

How I understood it:

1)      Start thy purse to fattening: Please save some money but do not keep it in your purse because if you do you will flout Rule No. 4(Guard thy treasures from lost). It could be pick pocketed and keep it in a bank only if you do not have online transaction facility. The only recourse left is to dig a hole and put it in there.

2)      Control thy expenditure: Stop those lousy spending that you keep doing each time a week end arrives so No movies, No Books, No gifts, No music. No melody No restaurant.. Imagine a world based on the richest man in Babylon.

3)      Make thy gold multiply: Now gold does not multiply what is probably being meant is that let people invest some money in banks and let the  interest accrue so here we go no personal loans, no credit card dues, no temporary overdrafts unless you are a Banker providing all these services.

4)      Guard thy treasures from lost :Yes now to do this no internet banking, no online demat accounts, no late night parties (you could have unwanted guests on your way back and this also qualifies for Rule 1)

5)      Make of thy dwelling a profitable investment That is what we do but on home loans no never because that flouts Rule no. 2. Home loans in an increasing interest rate environment will add to cost and without that I do not have any money.

6)      Insure a future income That is what we do but the problem is those long term Insurance policies with pension benefits that my dear old friend’s nephew took me into will pay me only 8% per annum and inflation might be 5% but petrol, multiplex tickets, children’s education do not increase at that rate . Wonder whether they are missing the 1 before the 5 while calculating inflation.

7)      Increase thy ability to earn: I give us I cannot. Me and my wife are both working I have a 8 to 12 job yes, am to pm and she has a 8 to 8 job so where do I get in that extra bit of time to increase my ability. I enrolled for a distance learning M.B.A program but after I paid my first installment (through bank loan flouting rule No.3,)I realized it is of no use so I have stopped looking at the books and am looking for a poor boy whom I could donate this so that being a drop out does not hurt me.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
learn2earn

Quote learn2earn Replybullet Posted: 19/Aug/2010 at 3:05pm
Very well said Basantji..

with all due respect to the author of "The richest man in Babylon"..I can see myself complying with ALL the 7 commandments if only I am born super rich or I inherit lot of money or I win a multi million lottery..

INVESTING - EMOTION = SUCCESS
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version