Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: Why not to look for new ideas – always? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 19/Apr/2011 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by csbhasin

Clap

Sir, now, one thing I wish to know that if we go on adding more and more shares to our portfolio then when we should sell them so as to enjoy the fruit and compete our pending tasks.

If you want to compeltely live off your investing you should wait till your investments become 50 times your basic annual expense.

But ultimately life has to be enjoyed. All our assets are there to make our lives better whether it is the shares in your demat account or the necklace around the ladies neck if the quality of life isn't showing signs of improvement inspite of this then the assets are not being utilized to their potential.

Now this does not mean that people can enjoy only by spending some money, some people enjoy by taking a walk on the beach some can do so by having a bath in the rain but the point is if you have higher levels of enjoyment (taking a vacation every three months) and can afford it by spending please do not torture yourself by acting stingy.

Originally posted by getmanoj

[ So many families could have lived happily had people not looked for the new ? ] ..... we missed this gem ;) ...
The charm of buying "new" is there, not only in stock market but in day to day life as well... most of us like to buy new phone, new gadget, new house , new car .. although they don't necessarily provide the best option (on a price-value basis).

Very correct. Charlie Munger says to underspend yourself till you accumulate US $ 100,000 of savings.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
rosicrucian

Quote rosicrucian Replybullet Posted: 19/Apr/2011 at 9:48pm
Though wipro,Infy stories are often recited again and again, but one must not forget that in 1981 it required guts to buy such company.
wipro was oil and soap companay(as investor knew it that time), and infy was unheard.
who had ever thought in 1991 india shall be liberized?
in 94, even employes of Infy were sceptical about the co. and ESOP was not fully subscribed.
Even Ashok Arora ,who was the best coder amongst all Infy cofounders,left the company in 1989 when Infy was about to collapse.
That time was when KSA in USA shut the shop.
Arora sold his shares for 25 lakhs to other promoters, which would have been turned to billions, if he had not.

For 1 infosys there were 10 companies which literally wiped the floor with investors.

When insiders did not have faith in the company how one can expect common man to have faith in that company(at that time)?

similarly with zicom, the was about to shut and all of a sudden 9:11 happens and the company just got a powerful shot in the arm.
what I want to say , what pays is conviction,and if not conviction then destiny.

IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 19/Apr/2011 at 9:51pm
some people enjoy by taking a walk on the beach

Smile

I do.

IP IP Logged
MR TED

Quote MR TED Replybullet Posted: 19/Apr/2011 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by basant

So if Company A is doing well and someone whispers to you about the prospects of Company B then try comparing Company B with Company A before committing your money. If A is still better then B then buy A until you hi the 15% open offer limit!

Interesting read. These are the words of a man who has immense conviction in his ideas, who is open to new ideas as well, but only if the new ones offer much more conviction Clap

2 questions -

1.  what does "If A is still better then B then buy A until you hi the 15% open offer limit!" mean?

2. Each idea comes with a risk reward. Probably why people look for new ideas is to try a different risk reward ratio?

IP IP Logged
leo2007

Quote leo2007 Replybullet Posted: 19/Apr/2011 at 9:51am

If you want to compeltely live off your investing you should wait till your investments become 50 times your basic annual expense.

I feel this formula should have ralation to the person's age also. A 50 year old person is not expected to live for another 50 years.
IP IP Logged
leo2007

Quote leo2007 Replybullet Posted: 19/Apr/2011 at 9:59am
Originally posted by kulman

Smile

I do.

Kulmanji

I enjoy torturing myself  by acting stingy
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 19/Apr/2011 at 10:04am
That is what I wanted to suggest that to reduce risk (by diversifying) people buy more of the new unknown comapnies which to some level (4 to 15 stocks) seems ok but not beyond it.

Originally posted by MR TED

So if Company A is doing well and someone whispers to you about the prospects of Company B then try comparing Company B with Company A before committing your money. If A is still better then B then buy A until you hi the 15% open offer limit!

Interesting read. These are the words of a man who has immense conviction in his ideas, who is open to new ideas as well, but only if the new ones offer much more conviction Clap

2 questions -

1.  what does "If A is still better then B then buy A until you hi the 15% open offer limit!" mean?

2. Each idea comes with a risk reward. Probably why people look for new ideas is to try a different risk reward ratio?

I am assuming that you want to keep your real investments (wealth adjusted for inflation) intact - for the next generation.

Originally posted by leo2007

I feel this formula should have ralation to the person's age also. A 50 year old person is not expected to live for another 50 years.

Edited by basant - 19/Apr/2011 at 10:07am
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 19/Apr/2011 at 10:07am
You can'tr enjoy torturing yourself. Seems contradictory. If you really enjoy that then it is ok to be self tortured because you are enjoying and also saving money.Wink

Originally posted by leo2007

Originally posted by kulman

Smile

I do.

Kulmanji

I enjoy torturing myself  by acting stingy
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version