Print Page | Close Window

Moser Baer - From CD's to content.

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios!
Forum Name: Stock Synopsis
Forum Discription: A bried discussion of companies on very specific matters. Normally this is the prelude for further research as always members would be discussing quality companies with good management only
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=701
Printed Date: 29/Apr/2024 at 4:20pm

Topic: Moser Baer - From CD's to content.
Posted By: deveshkayal
Subject: Moser Baer - From CD's to content.
Date Posted: 15/Jan/2007 at 7:55pm

Moser Baer – Triple play (Optical disc,solar energy,Home video)

Moser Baer is all set to change the way business is done in India’s home video segment. The company has formed an entertainment division. It has launched DVDs and VCDs at Rs 34 and Rs 28 respectively. The company has copyright licenses to 7000 movie titles. The company will release 4500 labels between second week of January and April, in Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu, Kannada, Bhojpuri, Marathi, Bengali, Gujarati and Punjabi. It will launch Bollywood titles in Feb and English movies in April.

Market Cap – Rs.3711 crore

CMP - Rs 330

The size of the copyright home video market is around Rs 200 crore, while the pirated market is believed to be 100 times bigger. The company plans to expand this to Rs 1000 crore in three years. Given the price points it is currently operating at, the management expects each movie title to break-even in less than 18 months from hitting the market.

The company expects to have over 1, 70, 000 points of sale across the country in coming 18-24 months. On the margin front, the company says 25% is kept for the retailer, 5% for the distributor. The business will be all about driving volumes. The target is own the rights of atleast 50 % of the movies released in India. The management expects margins in the optical disc business at 35%. Its subsidiary Moser Baer Photovoltaic (MBPV) is betting big on solar energy.

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Replies:
Posted By: basant
Date Posted: 15/Jan/2007 at 8:14pm
It looks extraordinarily attractive given the size of opportunity. I think that the business model makes tremendous sense. Let us explore this company further.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: prosperity
Date Posted: 15/Jan/2007 at 8:30pm
1 request  - First, Pls. send your analysis as private message to all TED members. You could then, after 1 day, post the same as a general message....

I have a feeling, if your writeup suggest buy and is posted as a general message  the stock would shootup at opening tomorrow morning itself !!

Thatz the power of TED ...
Kindly ensure it does not work against us, instead  works for us ...

Thanx ..

-------------

Posted By: vip1
Date Posted: 15/Jan/2007 at 9:07pm
One has to look at the Solar energy Photovoltaic cell business of Moser Baer , that will be the Future of Energy(and the world, mankind) . If they can tap this Business , there might be another Suzlon Hidden in it .

Date Posted: 15/Jan/2007 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by prosperity

1 request  - First, Pls. send your analysis as private message to all TED members. You could then, after 1 day, post the same as a general message....

I have a feeling, if your writeup suggest buy and is posted as a general message  the stock would shootup at opening tomorrow morning itself !!

Thatz the power of TED ...
Kindly ensure it does not work against us, instead  works for us ...

Thanx ..

In a bull market everything seems possible but it is co-incidental. WHile I agree that members should profit I really doubt that because we discuss a stock it goes up. On the other hand I would like to think that we discuss those stocks that are just about to go up.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Date Posted: 15/Jan/2007 at 10:10pm

An interesting aspect of Moser Baer entertainment business is its manufacturing facility in New Delhi.The company has invested around $2 million towards importing two machinery from Germany and Israel.These state of the art machines can produce 2 lac units on daily basis and do not require human intervention.In all the production centre has manpower strenght of just six employees.

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Posted By: prosperity
Date Posted: 15/Jan/2007 at 11:36pm
I used to hold Moser Baer some years back... there was a FUNDAMENTAL reason why i sold it ...

One of the raw materials to produce CD/DVD comes from oil  and oil was going up  so was the cost to produce CD/DVD and hence profit margin....

just log on to their website and see quarterly reports ... when they were turning back from QUARTERLY LOSSES to margnal PROFITS....

It looked to me that if oil goes up, this company cannot sustain MARGINS and comes under LOSS ... forget rate of increase in profits ..

But the mgmt is very good and focussed  the business looked to me bad  as seen above !!

Thanx !

-------------

Date Posted: 16/Jan/2007 at 11:37am
Photovoltaic technology is the ability to take photons from light and convert them into energy - as in solar cells for most people.But Puri isn't thinking calculators and watches."If I were to cover the roof of this office with solar energy sources,I could easily offset a significant amount of my electricity bill"
To generate one unit of energy (1 Kilowatt hour), it cost 40-50 cents which has come down from $1.50 in mid-90s.
Solar energy is already becoming extremely popular in environmentally conscious countries such as Germany."Energy consumption peaks at the middle of the day, and solar cells are most effective at the middle of the day".
The global photovoltaic industry will be worth $40 billion in 2010 from $6 billion in 2006.
"Do you know who one of the richest man in China today?" The man is Shi Zhengrong (Seventh on Forbes list of China's richest people with an estimated net worth of $1.43 billion who syarted Wuxi-based Suntech,a giant in Solar energy.
Crude is expected to be in the range of $50-60 this year unless some geo-political tension arises.
Moser Baer is expanding from Optical disc to Solar energy to Home video market. So the margins will be offset against one another. According to me, it should give significant returns over the next three years.

-------------

Posted By: RAKESH
Date Posted: 16/Jan/2007 at 11:52am
BASANTJI AWAITING UR WRITE UP

Date Posted: 24/Jan/2007 at 9:21am
Baba in deal with Moser Baer for 450 titles
Mumbai-based film production company Baba Arts has inked an exclusive contract with Delhi-based optical disc maker Moser Baer to manufacture and market 450 Telugu titles of the company.

Moser Baer will market the VCDs and DVDs of these titles in the Indian Market and pay Baba Arts a minimum guarantee (MG) of Rs 2.5 crore for eight years . Post recovery of the minimum guarantee, both companies will share the profit on a 50 : 50 ratio for a period of 8 years. Currently, Baba Arts is the sole copy right holder of 450 Telugu Titles.

“The south Indian film market is a very buoyant market and seeing the marketing potential of the titles, Moser Baer was the first name which came to our mind and hence the tie-up. We are a focused company in the arena of home entertainment and looking at the growing demand of regional entertainment,’’ said chairman and managing director, Baba Arts.

India also offers a huge base for growth in the home video segment. The country boasts of having over five million home video and DVD subscribers. With the current penetration levels, the home video segment offers ample growth opportunity. It is expected to grow over 30% in the next five years. There has been an increased importance of regional cinema.

According to industry estimates, Hindi language films command a 40% share of the Indian film market today since a large portion of the films made in India are produced in the south and east regions of India in regional languages. Viewership of regional films is no longer confined to specific areas. This trend is being driven by mediums such as DVDs and the Internet.

Baba Arts entered the Telugu Titles home entertainment space in 2006. Some of its leading titles include Bhakta Prahlad Bhakta Tukaram, Dil, Illarikam and others. Baba Arts has also entered into South Indian Film Production and its first production was the Tamil Film Nenjirukkum Varai which was released on December 15.

Source:ET

-------------

Date Posted: 25/Jan/2007 at 12:21pm
Moser Baer has announced its Q3FY07 result. Its net profit was up at Rs 37.6 crore versus Rs 13 crore  YoY.Its net sales was up 19% at Rs 501.5 crore against Rs 421.3 crore YoY. Diluted EPS Rs 3.37.

-------------

Date Posted: 25/Jan/2007 at 12:43pm

Results were surely improved but I think the bigger story would play out in the form of movie DVD business. These results are subject to so many variable factors like raw material cost etc but the movie business would be more stable and enduring.

-------------

Posted By: PrashantS
Date Posted: 25/Jan/2007 at 6:31pm
but isnt Adlabs getting into dvd business..there is lot of space for many ...

Date Posted: 25/Jan/2007 at 8:20pm

Yes, the market is just too large and every one is on the starting blocks right now.

-------------

Date Posted: 25/Jan/2007 at 10:11pm
Excerpts from CNBC-TV18’s interview with Yogesh Mathur:

Q: Break up the sales figures in terms of the growth you saw by way of volumes and the kind of increase you saw in realisations?

A: I think volume growth and price have continued to be strong. I would say they have both contributed strongly to the topline. In addition, cost and product mix have also contributed to the bottomline. We are happy to announce a fairly significant improvement in the bottomline for the quarter.

Q: Where are the margins at this point and how have they improved sequentially as well?

A: EBITDA margins over the corresponding quarter are at about 30% and they are over 700 points. So it is over 7% better than the corresponding quarter last year and over 3% better on a sequential basis.

Q: Can you hold those margins? This is something you have struggled with particularly because of the pressures on the raw material side a few quarters back.

A: As we have said in the past, polycarbonate has now stabilised in terms of equilibrium and prices. Our strategy on capacity has also changed and capacity has increased on the DVD side, which has resulted in continuing strong CD capacity.

We are the world’s largest producers of recordable CDs and CD prices have significantly firmed up. As a result, business is now profitable and that is also reflecting in our bottomline.

Q: Can you put that into perspective? How much of an uptick have you seen in terms of prices at this point?

A: Over the last two-three quarters, I would say there have been over 30% or so increases in average prices of CDs. And on top of that, the benefit of polycarbonate’s price reduction over the last few quarters is coming in. That is what is contributing to the significant improvement in EBITDA margins.

Q: Given that growth in volumes and the fact that prices have stabilised, how much do you think you might end the year with in terms of sales?

A: We see the coming quarter also reasonably strong. I would not want to actually give a number; I would say that we should be able to sustain the current level of profitability. The sector continues to look strong in terms of growth as far as demand for DVDs are concerned.

Q: When do your capacity expansion plans get underway?

A: We continue to add capacity as the year goes by and the plan is to achieve about 0.2 billion disc capacity by the end of the fiscal. We are on track.

Their Photovoltaic business will start generating revenue from FY08.This will be a major boost.

-------------

Posted By: PrashantS
Date Posted: 25/Jan/2007 at 10:31pm
imagine saas bhi kabhi bahu series...or a sharukh khan move dvd....there is so much ............Basantji...which could be the leader in this space....

Date Posted: 25/Jan/2007 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by PrashantS

but isnt Adlabs getting into dvd business..there is lot of space for many ...

Moser Baer is the world's cost efficient company. Just imagine DVD for Rs 34 and CD for 28,all the piracy will be gone.This business compliments their existing business. It wont be easy for Adlabs.See the distribution they r setting.Big margins in this space.They r passing on the raw materials prices to the customer.

-------------

Posted By: xbox
Date Posted: 25/Jan/2007 at 5:15am
Very tuff Wackosector. There are too many ifs and buts. Better leave it for technical ppl. Difficult to make fundamental story around it.

-------------
Don't bet on pig after all bull & bear in circle.

Date Posted: 25/Jan/2007 at 7:29am
Originally posted by PrashantS

imagine saas bhi kabhi bahu series...or a sharukh khan move dvd....there is so much ............Basantji...which could be the leader in this space....

I think that the race has not started. The leader in the music space is Saregama- holds almost 38% of Indian music rights and is available at less then Rs 400 crores. With FM radios etc this could become very profitable. But the problem is the "Management".

-------------

Posted By: BubbleVision
Date Posted: 25/Jan/2007 at 10:11am
One important point is that Moser Bear has a CD manufacturing unit and .....adlabs will have to take Recordable CD's from moser to record them. That helps Moser Directly.

-------------
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!

Date Posted: 27/Jan/2007 at 12:01pm
The Effect of Moser Baer's DVD pricing on various stakeholders

One way of looking at Moser Baer offering Hindi Movie DVDs at Rs.38 is that they have the movie pirates running for cover. The pricing is much lower than the expected Rs.50 per DVD. The reduction in cost is largely attributed to synergies between Moser Baer’s CD/DVD production business and the Home Video business.
On the flip side, lets just look at the various stakeholders: do these prices justify distribution and retailing costs? What kind of margins are they getting? At the point of purchase, will a mom-and-pop retailer (if they are indeed in Moser Baers scheme of things) get better margins from a pirate, or Moser Baer?
Also, when a consumer buys a DVD off the shelf, there are certain expectations of the packaging and the quality of the disk. When rented or bought off a pirate - those expectations are lowered drastically.
I’m also not sure if pirates will be affected much by this move - people buy or rent pirated disks, mostly, of the latest films, a day or two before or after the theatrical release. Unless the Home Video and theatrical release are simultaneous, the pirates will remain in business.
The online DVD rental companies, however, will have to rethink their business plans now. They average at around Rs.50 a rental, and delivery often a day after the order is placed.

I think the growth of organized retail will drive Moser Baer’s DVD sales, and they will largely be impulse purchases. The popular titles could also stocked close to the checkout lane next to chewing gum and razors.

Source: ContentSutra

-------------

Posted By: us121
Date Posted: 24/Feb/2007 at 12:28pm
today heard Harish Dayal - CEO, Moser Baer (Entertainment). They have launched the product in three southern states: karnataka,ap and tamilnadu.

as per him the response is superb.
They met the target of roughly 8 to 9 months in first 45 days of launch.

pan india launch is to happen in march end.

Quality of packing is superb. i saw the one.

However, he accepted IP TV as potential threat. But he does not except that to negatively affect them in next 4~5 years due to high infra cost of setting up IP TV.

seems very intersting space.

-------------
ABILITY will get u at d top. CHARACTER will retain u at d top

Date Posted: 25/Feb/2007 at 11:57pm
If Warbug Pincus has invested in this company (i dont know whether they hold till now) then there is something in this company.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Mar/2007 at 8:13pm
Moser Baer to invest $250 mn for setting up solar fab

Moser Baer, maker of computer compact discs, has said it will invest $250 million over the next three years to set up a thin film solar fab.
The company has entered into a technology partnership with US-based Applied Materials to build the unit in its existing SEZ at Greater Noida, Moser Baer Chairman and Managing Director Deepak Puri said here.
The project will help generate 200 MW of solar energy by 2009, he added.
"According to market figures, the thin film based solar modules market is expected to reach a size of five billion dollars globally by 2010 with a demand of 2 GW," Puri said.
The unit for making thin films would be commercially operational by March 2008 and the construction will begin next week, he said.
"The company will start with a capacity of 40 MW, which will be increased to 200 MW by 2009. With this initial capacity, we are expecting a turnover of 100 million dollar annually," company's CFO Y B Mathur said.
We would focus on global markets initially to sell our product, he added.
Moser Baer is also expecting government incentives under the recently announced semiconductor policy.
Applied Materials CTO Mark Pinto said, "India holds tremendous potential both as a worldwide hub for solar panel production and as an end market for photovoltaic electric power."
Applied Materials, world's largest maker of semiconductor related equipments, posted a turnover of nine billion dollars last year and employs about 13,000 people worldwide, including 800 in India.

-------------

Date Posted: 30/Mar/2007 at 10:20am
Moser Baer arm picks up 40% stake in Slovenia co

Move To Guarantee Assured Supply Of Solar Wafers To Optical Media Firm

MOSER Baer Photo Voltaic (MBPV), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Moser Baer India, has picked up 40% stake in Slovenia-based Solarvalue Proizvodnja would acquire the stake from Germany-based Solarvalue AG, which currently holds 100% stake in the Slovenian company involved in solar silicon production.
   Given the global demand-supply imbalance of silicon, the new investment would guarantee MBPV an assured supply of high-grade solar wafers. “The total value of investment stands at $10 million, of which $6 million is the initial commitment, and the balance investment is based on certain milestones,” Moser Baer CFO Yogesh Mathur told ET.
   MBPV is in the process of setting up a photo voltaic (PV) cell and module manufacturing project with an 80MW capacity in India’s first renewable energy SEZ at Greater Noida. It has already concluded trials for 40MW capacity and hopes to commission another 40MW by the second half of next fiscal. The company’s foray into the business comes at a time when the global PV space is expected to grow five-fold to Rs 135,000 crore by 2010.
   “This investment gives us an assured supply of solar grade polysilicon, a key raw material for slicon-based photovoltaic project. At present, there is a shortage of polysilicon because of the high demand. While the raw material for the first 40MW is tied up through spot buying and medium-term supply contracts, the new investment is aimed at tying up the raw material requirements for the next phase of 40MW,” Mr Mathur said.
   Solarvalue plans to set up a capacity of over 4,000 tonnes of solar grade silicon by end of 2008. With the acquisition MBPV now has a supply agreement for 40% of the output of the solar grid polysilicon project.
   MBPV has so far picked up equity positions in California-based nanotechnology start-up Stion Corporation; and in two solar concentrator technology firms Solaria and SolFocus.

Warburg ups stake in Moser Baer

New Delhi:The affiliates of Warburg Pincus have hiked their holding in Moser Baer India to 33.75%, by converting GDRs into equity shares. The affiliates, which held 29.49% stake, converted 47,500 GDRs of the company (each GDR representing 100 underlying equity shares) into 4,750,000 equity shares, Moser Baer said in a notice to BSE on Friday.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Warburg Pincus made big gains by investing in Bharti Airtel...Better watch out for this....No doubt, Oil is at $65 is a threat to Moser Baer. They have launched http://www.moserbaerhomevideo.com - www.moserbaerhomevideo.com for e-retailing of their products (I know its too long). This initiative is a big threat to DVD rentals co.

-------------

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 30/Mar/2007 at 10:36am
Excellent one, Dev (this is a new nickname for Devesh Kayal.....and no 'jee' now for him as per special pact between us)

Solar PV seems very interesting. And their DVDs below Rs 40 would be major threat to multiplex too.

-------------
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards

Date Posted: 31/Mar/2007 at 2:09pm

I am told that Enam has a very high rating on Moser Baer.

-------------

Date Posted: 31/Mar/2007 at 10:24pm
Portfolio of Warburg Pincus:
Amtek Auto
Aryan Coal
Kotak Mahindra
Lemon Tree
Max India
Moser Baer India
Nicholas Piramal India
Radhakrishna Foodland (I heard Wal-Mart may be outsourcing to this co.)
Rediff
Sintex Industries
WNS
Writers and Publishers Ltd

They have a great portfolio!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 03/Apr/2007 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by basant

I am told that Enam has a very high rating on Moser Baer.

Basantji, ENAM does not track Moser Baer...

-------------

Date Posted: 03/Apr/2007 at 10:30pm
T-Series too launches low price Home Video entertainment

Soon after the announcement of Moser Baer's specially priced DVDs and VCDs, entertainment giants T-Series too have entered the ring and announced it loud and clear that they are not the ones who could be left behind. They too have launched an exclusive collection with low priced DVDs and VCDs that cost just Rs. 45 and Rs. 38 respectively.

-------------

Posted By: tigershark
Date Posted: 03/Apr/2007 at 8:24am
see the entry barrier in such businesses is not very high in a few yrs time everybody will be making solar panels, it makes more sense to buy the wafer cos

-------------
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things

Date Posted: 03/Apr/2007 at 10:11am
I thought of what Tigershark says and it does make sense. Not to sugest MB will underperform but the lack of entry barrier makes it vulnerable though.

-------------

Posted By: tigershark
Date Posted: 03/Apr/2007 at 10:15am
look at their cd business the same thing happened

-------------
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things

Date Posted: 03/Apr/2007 at 10:41am
I think the potential is huge in Home video as well as Solar energy. I will once again point out the same from my earlier posts.
The size of the copyright home video market is around Rs 200 crore, while the pirated market is believed to be 100 times bigger. The company plans to expand this to Rs 1000 crore in three years.India also offers a huge base for growth in the home video segment. The country boasts of having over five million home video and DVD subscribers. With the current penetration levels, the home video segment offers ample growth opportunity. It is expected to grow over 30% in the next five years. There has been an increased importance of regional cinema.The company will start with a capacity of 40 MW, which will be increased to 200 MW by 2009. With this initial capacity, we are expecting a turnover of 100 million dollar annually.The company’s foray into the business comes at a time when the global PV space is expected to grow five-fold to Rs 135,000 crore by 2010.
Moser Baer has also entered into film production. They will initially produce 2 films this year, have plans to produce 7 films in the next consecutive years. So the cost of acquiring these film titles will be nil. They have entered into JV with Pyramid Symaira to retail their products in the theatres.
The response have been good so far for their home-video business. The cost-efficiency in optical disc do have advantage over the competitors.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/May/2007 at 2:53pm
Moser Baer Q4 net up 100% (Source: BS)
Optical storage device maker Moser Baer backed by strong demand and operational efficiencies has posted a net profit of Rs 39.72 crore for the fourth quarter ended March 31, 2007 (Q4FY07), representing a 100% jump from the corresponding period of the last fiscal.

Revenue in Q4FY07 stood at Rs 550 crore registering an increase of 3.8% over the fourth quarter last year, and 5.1% on a sequential basis.

According to the company, the year was a landmark one for Moser Baer as it saw the optical media business emerging as a free cash business, helped by robust shipments, improving asset turnovers and production efficiencies in the business. The company was also helped by stabilisation of polycarbonate prices, a key ingredient in churning out DVDs.

Added Ratul Puri, executive director, Moser Baer said, "This year saw Moser Baer transforming into a multi-technology business organisation. The base optical media business has reverted to normal levels of operating efficiencies and the company is now set to lead the next generation demand curve in the Blue laser based products. Additionally, the entertainment business will allow us to capture higher value addition in the chain and we will emerge as a leader in this highly exciting segment by having brought in the paradigm shift in this industry."

Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA), at Rs 172.58 crore, grew 60.8% over the corresponding quarter in the previous year and 5.6% on a sequential basis.

In FY07, the company reported profit after tax (including deferred tax impacts) of Rs 109.79 crore, recording twenty-fold growth over the net profit in FY06.

Gross revenue for the financial year stood at Rs 2,074.03 crore, an increase of 19.8% from FY06. The growth is mainly due to the robust growth in volumes and the capacity expansion during the year.

In its guidance for the storage business, the company is expecting a three year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 25-35% in its revenues while EBIDTA margins are expected to be in excess of 30%. The company plans to spend $40 million (Rs 164 crore) to increase capacity to 3.4 billion discs per annum.

For its photovoltaic business, the company expects the revenue to be in the range of $80-100 million (Rs 410 crore) during next fiscal.

The board recommended, issue of bonus shares to the equity shareholders of the company in the ratio of 1 equity share for every 2 equity shares held by them, by capitalizing the reserves of the company.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very impressive results from Moser Baer.
Fair disclosure: I dont hold this stock.

-------------

Date Posted: 18/May/2007 at 7:07pm
Oye my Moser baer is booming...up 40% in 4 months...not bad!

-------------

Date Posted: 23/May/2007 at 11:10am
Moser Baer India today claimed to have developed the world's first high speed 8x Blu-ray disc (BDR), which is a major breakthrough in next generation optical media formats.

According to an official release issued by the company to the BSE today, the technology has been jointly developed along with recently acquired OM&T, the former R&D subsidiary of Philips.

According to Ratul Puri, executive director, Moser Baer India, "This is a major achievement and it gives us a significant advantage in the fast growing next generation optical format market. Moreover, it vindicates our strategy of acquiring OM&T and adding their capabilities to the strong in-house R&D team to lead the technology development curve in the optical and photovoltaic space. The pioneering work in the Blu-ray format will further enhance our global leadership position."

The development would enable end users to have a faster media that can record a 2-hour transmission equivalent of HD (High Definition) quality data in less than 15 minutes. The next generation formats have a capacity ranging from 15 GB to 50 GB and offer more than five to ten times the data storage capacity of standard DVD media. These next generation formats offer an ideal solution for reliable business backup, including medical and government imaging, photography, videography, as well as high definition video recording, the company release claims.

The breakthrough in the technology development of high speed Blu ray disc format was recently presented at the 4th Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) meeting held in Fukuoka in Japan."

-------------

Posted By: johnnybravo
Date Posted: 23/May/2007 at 11:26am
Thanks for the update Devesh.

I thought these guys are just into manufacturing of CDs. Never knew they were good in R&D as well. If they indeed are that's a good news for the whole disc-storage-media business is hard driven by time bound innovations and a good innovation can really change fortunes.

Date Posted: 26/May/2007 at 12:19pm
Everyone seems to be excited by Movie space(production,distribution)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The company has acquired the rights for three Hollywood movies — Disney's animation flick Air Bud, Ten Commandments and Righteous Kill — all slated for release this year.

The rights include theatrical distribution rights, satellite distribution rights, as also home video rights for all SAARC countries.

Moser Baer wanted to acquire only the home video rights for the three films but was told by the production studios that the rights would be available only in a package.

“The movies were available at an attractive price and that is why we struck the deal,” Moser Baer Entertainment CEO Harish Dayani said.

The company would look for the distribution rights of more such films in the future, he added.

The company is believed to be paying the Hollywood studios around 20 per cent royalty on sales. Dayani said Moser Baer will earn 50 per cent of its revenues from theatrical rights, while satellite and home video rights will contribute 30 per cent and 20 per cent, respectively.(BS)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wont be surprised if MB touches four digit in three years from now.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Jun/2007 at 10:49am
Moser Baer becomes largest content owner  (BOC)
With its big bang entry into the Rs 650 crore ($ 150 million) Indian home entertainment market in December last year, Moser Baer promised to change the rules of the game.

At the launch, the company had revealed that negotiations were on with several players to acquire copyrights of more than 7000 titles in all major Indian languages.

Five months down the line, the company has achieved its target of 7000 titles, thus boasting of having the largest collection of home video titles in India.

Moser Baer has recently acquired 400 titles from Captain Video, 550 titles from Bombino and 600 titles from Indus. "This makes us the biggest Hindi content owner in the country," says Moser Baer Entertainment CEO Harish Dayani.

Apart from acquiring content from these companies, Moser Baer has directly acquired close to 200 titles from Venus, producer Shakti Samanta, Shivaji Ganeshan's AVM amongst others.

What’s more, according to reliable sources, Moser Baer is also in talks with other Indian home video companies for further content expansion.

Moser Baer recently also purchased 100 films’ home video rights at the Cannes Film Festival from companies like American Cinema International, Lake Shore Production and Fantastic Films.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Jul/2007 at 10:42am
Moser Baer has done exceedingly well on the bourses!!

-------------

Posted By: WarrenJr
Date Posted: 07/Jul/2007 at 8:39pm
Is this a good time to enter? Is thr margin of safety now?

Date Posted: 07/Jul/2007 at 10:40am
Bad sector. Manufacturing in electronics segment & wealth creation. Do they go together ?

-------------

Date Posted: 07/Jul/2007 at 11:50am
Vipulji, the price speaks for itself !

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Jul/2007 at 11:03pm

Cleantech green-lights largest solar farm ever

California will be home to the 80-megawatt plant, 17-times bigger than the nation's current largest.

Bill Barnes, CEO of Cleantech, said the scale of the San Joaquin Valley Customer Choice Solar Farm will change renewable energy and make California the global leader for huge solar projects and replace Germany as the solar energy hub of the world.

"We're pretty confident that solar farms on this scale are going to have an industry-changing impact," Barnes said by telephone on Friday. "We think it's the wave of the future. This scale of project, I think, creates a tipping point for renewable energy."

"We think the impact for it will be similar to the impact of the computer chip," Barnes said.

...........is buying the acreage somewhere in the San Joaquin Valley, hooking the farm to transmission lines, and contracting with a manufacturer of photovoltaic solar panels.

Last week, Cleantech announced plans to build a five-megawatt solar farm on 40 acres near Mendota, California, also in the Central Valley. Power will be delivered to PG&E.

Source:news article http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/06/news/companies/solar.reut/index.htm?postversion=2007070616 - here on CNN Money

-------------

Posted By: vip1
Date Posted: 08/Jul/2007 at 10:17am
Global Warming is just not a scare but a reality . Photovoltaics can be the next very -2 big story as the cost between them and conventional power closes in. 
A Environmental Tax in the future will make Solar Power  cheaper.

Date Posted: 08/Jul/2007 at 11:51am
Vipulji, the price speaks for itself !
---------------
and for everything else, we have TED.Wink
If making CDs & optical devices are so profitable then why are outsourced at first place. In electronics, malai lies in selling directly to customers not in manufacturing. Most of IT items are manufactured in Taiwan, China, Korea as OEM for HP, dell, Lenovo for very very thin margins.

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Jul/2007 at 10:35am
Moser Baer Photo Voltaic Ltd, a subsidiary of Moser Baer India Ltd, has entered into $800 million contract with Norway’s REC Group for sale and delivery of high quality multicrystalline silicon wafers over an 8-year period starting 2008.

The contract follows Moser Baer Photo Voltaic's strategic sourcing initiative with Deutsche Solar and its acquisition of 40 per cent stake in Slovenia-based Solarvalue Proizvodnja which plans to set up a capacity of 4,400 tonne of solar grade silicon by end 2008.

The three pronged strategy is part of Moser Baer Photo Voltaic's objective to access a regular supply of high quality solar grade silicon at competitive pricing. (ET)

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Aug/2007 at 12:02pm

Broking House, PINC Research has maintained buy rating on http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/stockpricequote/computers-hardware/moser-baer-%28india%29/14/59/MBI - Moser Baer , with a target of Rs 400.

-------------

Posted By: kaushalchawla
Date Posted: 20/Aug/2007 at 4:48am
Paramount Chooses HD DVD Over Blu-ray
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118763006171303081.html?mod=msn_money_keywords - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118763006171303081.html?mod=msn_money_keywords
This is a negative for Moser Baer, which has a some interest in Blue ray.

-------------
Warm Regards,
Kaushal

Date Posted: 20/Aug/2007 at 5:38am
May I ask 5 wealth creator companies in electronics OEM business ?

-------------

Posted By: ndzapak
Date Posted: 21/Aug/2007 at 11:08pm

Excerpts from an ET Interview with Ratul Puri  of Moser Bear

What are your plans for the solar photovoltaic business? What kind of market do you see here?

We have a 40 MW capacity solar photovoltaic (PV) fab up and running. Our goal is to grow to 600 MW capacity in the next 2-3 years. That will entail investments close to $1 billion. We will cater to both the local and global demand. We already have MoUs and firm contracts worth $100 million

Globally, the demand for solar power plants, solar cells and modules was $7 billion last year and this will zoom to $50 billion by 2010.

Moser Baer is shifting from disc making to solar fabs to probably ATMP. Is the disc business a dying business and is that why the focus on new areas?

No. Our decision to go into solar has nothing to do with our core blank optical business (the disc making business). We are looking at a 25-30% growth in our blank optical business in three years. We believe that there will be a need for optical storage simply because it offers unparalleled level of price and performance benefit to the consumer.

Today, a 50 GB Blu-ray disc costs no more than a few pennies to make and retails at 30-50 cents. Even if you take the price at 50 cents we are talking about 1GB of storage for just 1 cent! There’s no medium in the world that will even come close to that in the next 15-20 years. There is massive growth globally in the amount of data being stored digitally. A Berkeley University study says that between 2003 to 2015 the data stored digitally will grow 1,000 times.

A lot of that will go to hard drives, solid state and to other media. Even if two or three of those 1,000x goes to blank optical discs, it’s a massive growth curve. The blank disc business is a 25 billion unit global market. Recordable CD will see a minor decline. DVD-R will see 35% growth globally this year. High Definition and Blu-ray discs will grow at over 100-150% relative to last year. We see massive potential in both blank optical discs and solar PVs.

From blank discs now you are selling films at Rs 28 to Rs 40. What are the kind of margins in this business?

We are losing money on this venture. We will keep losing money for some more time. The goal of this was two fold — to get into distribution business and take our technology to the market. We developed a new type of optical disc; it drives our cost of manufacturing of pre-recorded optical disc significantly down. We took it to content makers, but did not get a great response.

Will solar panel roof tops be a source of power in households? Can nanotechnology be used to make more efficient solar cells?

In some parts of Europe, Japan and the US about 65% of solar installations are small form factor installations on residential roof tops. When people are at home they consume the solar energy to light, heat, cool, etc. When not at home, it’s part of the city’s electric grid. Something like this could be used in India as well

Source : http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Blank_optical_discs_have_huge_potential/articleshow/2296653.cms - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Blank_optical_discs_have_huge_potential/articleshow/2296653.cms

-------------
the Equitydesk is the best

Posted By: nil5624
Date Posted: 24/Aug/2007 at 8:08am
Moser Baer India grants options Under ESOP Moser Baer India has granted 23,800 stock options convertible into equal number of equity shares to eight employees of the company in terms of ESOP 2004.These options were granted by the company on 21 August 2007.

-------------
PLZ READ THE OFFER DOCUMENT B4 INVESTING.

Date Posted: 26/Aug/2007 at 10:08am

The Insider reports "The talk in the PE and VC circles is that Blackstone, Warburg and Carlyle are already in talks to pick up a 10% stake at $150 mn,giving it a strong valuation of around $1.5 bn. This is nearly twice the market cap of MB in India.

For more Click http://www.vccircle.com/blog/_archives/2007/7/20/3106138.html - here

Huge value unlocking....

Vipulji, i was interested in home-video and SPV and not in CDs,DVDs.

-------------

Date Posted: 26/Aug/2007 at 10:20am
Devesh jee, if your information is correct one can play it for short-term.
Home-video is very tough business. SPV is cash hungry one but good for some pop-up. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Aug/2007 at 11:24am
We see our PV business growing rapidly to over $1 billion and our entertainment business to $500 million in the next three years,” says Moser Baer’s executive director Ratul Puri.

Puri expects the blank CD business to grow at a compound rate of 20% annually over the next three years, as Blu-Ray technology, the next-generation optical disc format, and high-definition television takes off in India. “These will start to contribute significant revenues for us by the fourth quarter of this fiscal,” he says.

We expect the optical business to throw up $300-500 million in cash over the next three years,” Puri says.

Moser Baer plans to increase its market share to 60%, and acquire up to 12,000 film titles in the home-video business. We pay between Rs5,000 and Rs1.5 crore to acquire rights of Indian movies,” Puri says. The prices for English titles are much less because their market in India is not that huge. They vary between Rs2,000 and Rs15 lakh.”

Read the full article http://www.livemint.com/2007/08/27003856/Big-picture--Burning-a-new-a.html?pg=1 - here

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Sep/2007 at 11:09pm
Moser Baer India Ltd. has earmarked Rs5 billion to acquire up to 12,000 regional film titles by the end of 2007-08, for its home video segment, a senior official said on 5 September.

Around four months back the company said it intended to acquire up to 7,500 titles by the end of the current fiscal year.

“We have already passed that and are closer to 10,000 titles,” Chief Executive Officer of the entertainment business, Harish Dayani told Reuters.

The company has also started film production. It already has six films on the floors and two more would be added during the year, Dayani said.

Analysts estimate that out of the total Indian film revenues of Rs79 billion the home video segment accounted for only 7%.

-------------

Date Posted: 17/Sep/2007 at 8:18pm

Moser plans Rs 2,000cr PV plant near Chennai

Just a couple of days after the Centre announced its investment guidelines for the Indian semiconductor industry, New Delhi-based leading optical storage media manufacturer Moser Baer (India) has chosen Chennai to set up a Rs 2,000 crore solar photovoltaic fabrication facility. This signals a new era in the state's emergence as an electronics manufacturing hub

The solar PV facility is expected to come up on 120 acres at the Oragadam-Sriperumbudur SIPCOT SEZ.  However, the company has sought about 250 acres for its Chennai unit, provisioning for future expansion. The plant will be developed in two stages. It will first set up a single thin-film solar fabrication facility which will be ready for operations within 15-18 months of the land acquisition process, according to Moser Baer officials.

The company expects to fund its Chennai expansion through internal accruals. The plant is expected to generate revenues to the tune of $1 billion over the next 3-5 years.

The global photovoltaic market is on a high growth curve -- sales are expected to grow over six times to $40 billion by 2010. Moser Baer recently announced the shipment of its PV cells and claims to have orders and MoUs exceeding $100 million (around Rs 410 crore). It also has plans to set up a unit in Andhra Pradesh and is reportedly in talks with other state governments for its expansion plans. The company, however, is also working on the “thin-film” technology to make solar cells. It announced it will invest $250 million (around Rs 1,110 crore) over the next three years to set up the largest thin-film solar fabrication (fab) facility in the world. Thin-film solar modules are ideal for energy farms, rural applications and building integrated photovoltaic markets.

<li> India has 280 sunny days a year
<li> Solar electricity may be cheaper than bringing the grid to remote areas <li> India offers 100% subsidy on solar PV systems for remote village electrification
<li> For villages with electricity, the government offers 60% subsidy
<li> Solar energy has been the fastest growing energy source in the world enjoying annual growth rates of over 40% between 2000-05
<li> This sector has enormous scope given global emphasis on renewable power and limited solar penetration
<li> Solar energy provides less than 1% of energy generated worldwide
<li> Silicon is the key raw material for solar PV cells (almost 95% of cells produced in 2005 used silicon-based technologies)

Source : http://www.business-standard.com/common/storypage_c_online.php?leftnm=11&bKeyFlag=IN&autono=27636 - http://www.business-standard.com/common/storypage_c_online.php?leftnm=11&bKeyFlag=IN&autono=27636

-------------

Date Posted: 17/Sep/2007 at 9:08pm
Thanks for posting those bits & bytes about Alternative Energies.

If you don't mind: Are you into a profession related to Green energies?

-------------

Date Posted: 17/Sep/2007 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by kulman

Thanks for posting those bits & bytes about Alternative Energies.

Not alternative energy, but yes you guessed it right , i am working as engineer in the energy field.

http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17&PN=25 - http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17&PN=25

-------------

Posted By: us121
Date Posted: 17/Sep/2007 at 10:14am
Originally posted by ndzapak

Originally posted by kulman

Not alternative energy, but yes you guessed it right , i am working as engineer in the energy field.

http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17&PN=25 - - http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17&PN=25

[/QUOTE

We had one friend in our hostel who could identify any of the actress, even if you show him, her photo below the shoulder.

Kulman seems to have mastered this trickWink

We had one friend in our hostel who could identify any of the actress, even if you show him, her photo below the shoulder.

Kulman seems to have mastered this trickWink

-------------
ABILITY will get u at d top. CHARACTER will retain u at d top

Date Posted: 17/Sep/2007 at 10:54am
Hey Bhagwan! Ouch

muzhe badnaam kiya ja raha hain! having said that...
Badnaam hue toh kya hua...
Naam toh hua !!!

-------------

Posted By: sunlight
Date Posted: 28/Oct/2007 at 12:39pm
Disappointing Q2

http://business-standard.com/common/storypage_c_online.php?leftnm=11&bKeyFlag=IN&autono=29367 - http://business-standard.com/common/storypage_c_online.php?leftnm=11&bKeyFlag=IN&autono=29367

Posted By: kanagala
Date Posted: 15/Nov/2007 at 6:55pm
This one looks interesting for long term. Sitting in front of two huge opportunities(home video and solar cells) backed by stable Optical media business.  Home video is unconventional forward integration to existing business. They can utilizing existing expertise in Optical media in making solar cells.
Any idea on management ? how good they are in terms of execution and honesty.

-------------
While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.

Posted By: India_Bull
Date Posted: 15/Nov/2007 at 7:51pm

During my visit to India and Mumbai , I happened to visit few supermarkets (one is shoprite )and one to the  general video library kind of shop. I could find the CDs priced at around 30-35  and for some old movies, I found it worth buying, but the shopkeepers were not so enthusiastic with the labels they have, (95% are flop movies which no one buys) , so if one if just going by the no of rights Moser buyer has obtained, one should not get into this stock, there is a huge potential for this sector also they are networking well with the music shopowners , however it is the content that also matters..

BTW, I bought a few sets  of (7 english movies) in one CD for Rs 50 each (James Bonds, Godfathers, Hanibals etc ), which I found to be of good quality though I was suspicious..( Pirated Roadshops like these are actually eating  the business of branded companies !!)

-------------
India_Bull forever Bull !
www.kapilcomedynights.com

Posted By: sunlight
Date Posted: 15/Nov/2007 at 8:43pm
I want this stock to be trashed.  so that I can enter into it!!!!Smile Seeing the half yr EPS, this can go down a lot in bear times.

They entered into movie distribution biz which (IMO) they dont understand that much.

Posted By: MuKeShHaRlAlKa
Date Posted: 15/Nov/2007 at 10:59am
In Moser Baer, the PhotoVoltaic business looks much more interesting than Movie Distribution business. The photovoltaic business has a lot of opportunities solar energy is the cheapest form of energy available. It has huge growth prospects in the future.

-------------
In Cricket & Stock Markets, everyone seems to be an expert but only a few really are.

Posted By: bub100
Date Posted: 17/Nov/2007 at 6:24pm
yes, huge mkt for photovoltaic but also need really skilled people as in Germany.

I am waiting for their plant progress as we all now mgt is not reliable.

-------------
gs

Date Posted: 17/Nov/2007 at 12:05pm
Hi Bub,
Do you have any idea about the management. Can you shed some light ?
How good they are? Quality, qualification and corporate governance  of the management?
I am convinced about their home video  and solar energy business. 
The only way to stop video piracy is to reduce the price. It is successfully implemented in telugu film music industry. Slowly other players realises this. You can see other players working with Moser in future in this area.

-------------
While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.

Posted By: bub100
Date Posted: 17/Nov/2007 at 1:46am
Hi kanagala,
about the mgt I had my doubts as in 2000 investor having bad experience and in media no name film are having very thin margin.
I spoke with one fund manager of Enviro fund in Germany as they only invest the greeen companies he was aware of Moserbear - to my surprise - inform me that they want to invest in moser but waiting their photovoltaic project to start first as there are other firms also in the same technology. (he was also having some doubts about the mgt. quality)

it is sure that photovoltaic going to be a huge mkt - spl. with the new technology as adopted by mosar.

-------------
gs

Posted By: Shreyas
Date Posted: 02/Jan/2008 at 3:23pm
"

Govt to provide subsidy for solar power plants

http://www.online.reuters.com/">

India will subsidise the running of solar power plants to help develop a renewable energy infrastructure, where high costs can be prohibitive, the minister for renewable energy said on Wednesday.

Renewable energy accounts for about 7.5 percent of India's installed generation capacity of 127,673 MW, a rate that compares favourably with much of the rest of the world.

Much of this capacity is wind-based, and the share of solar power is small.

"My ministry will provide financial assistance amounting to 12 rupees per kilowatt hour in case of solar photovoltaic and 10 rupees per kilowatt hour in case of solar thermal power fed to the electricity grid," Vilas Muttemwar said in a press conference.

The private sector is expected to invest about 10 billion rupees in solar plants eligible for aid under the scheme during the five years to 2012, Muttemwar said.

A maximum capacity of 10 megawatt (MW) in each of the country's states and a maximum of five MW per developer will be considered under the scheme. Capital investors will not be allowed to apply, a statement from the ministry said.

Developers will sell electricity to state-run utilities and the incentives will be paid to them based on the tariff the utilities provide, the statement said.

The incentives, for a period of 10 years, will be over and above any financial assistance provided by the states, said V. Subramanian, secretary to the ministry."

How does this effect Moser Baer?

Posted By: DarkHorse
Date Posted: 05/Jan/2008 at 1:50pm
The company has lined up six films — three Tamil films and three Hindi films — to be released between November 2007 and March 2008

The company has earmarked around Rs 30 crore for all the six films. “However, budget is not a constraint,

It expects the entertainment division to contribute at least Rs 250 crore to its total revenues this fiscal. Film production business is expected to contribute 20 per cent of this

in Hindi (‘Shourya’ and ‘Shankat City’) and three Tamil Films — Vellithirai, Abhiyum Naanum and Mayilu.

so revenue is expected 50 Cr. from this venture. 

Does any one know if any of thier movie venture is released? if so what's the outcome?

Date Posted: 05/Jan/2008 at 6:08pm
I dont think they have released their any of their movies.

A nice article in Business Today http://businesstoday.digitaltoday.in/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&issueid=17&id=3019&Itemid=1 - here

-------------

Date Posted: 09/Feb/2008 at 10:55am

Moser Baer Q3 net loss at Rs 20 crore

Oversupply of cheap CDs and DVDs in the optical storage market took its toll on the margins of optical storage media major Moser Baer as it slipped into the red, reporting a net loss after tax of Rs 20.45 crore for the third quarter ending 31 December 2007. 

The company had reported a net profit after tax of Rs 37.62 crore for the corresponding quarter of the previous financial year. 

The total income of the company witnessed a marginal increase of 3.8 per cent to reach Rs 534.85 crore as compared to Rs 515.02 crore in the same quarter last year. 

Devesh, Any fresh udpate  regarding their Solar PV Business

-------------

Date Posted: 09/Feb/2008 at 10:59am
Buy Moser Baer; target of Rs 400: Pinc

http://indiaearnings.moneycontrol.com/sub_india/compnews.php?autono=325468 - http://indiaearnings.moneycontrol.com/sub_india/compnews.php?autono=325468

-------------

Posted By: mr.amd
Date Posted: 19/Feb/2008 at 3:30pm
bought some today.  Couldn't resist at this price.  This could turn out to be another suzlon.

Date Posted: 20/Feb/2008 at 11:14pm
Toshibha discontinue hd-dvd business.
http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2008_02/pr1903.htm - http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2008_02/pr1903.htm

-------------

Date Posted: 20/Feb/2008 at 11:18pm
I have read somewhere walmart intention of clearing out of hd-dvd's. Looks like blu-ray is going to be the future. It is positive for Moser. It will help Moser to turn around optical storage business.
I am still waiting for price to come down a bit.

-------------

Date Posted: 20/Feb/2008 at 9:43am

MB has disappointed investors earlier and i am not sure this time too.

-------------

Date Posted: 20/Feb/2008 at 11:15am
Originally posted by deveshkayal

MB has disappointed investors earlier and i am not sure this time too.

You are right. It is expected to make negative eps for 08. May be couple of rupees for 09. Assuming that blue ray is future format, still it takes 3-4 years to get the traction in selling the new format media.

-------------

Posted By: smartcat
Date Posted: 20/Feb/2008 at 11:21am
From PINC Research Report on Moser Baer -

FY10E Revenues: Rs. 4,000 crores
FY10E Net Profits: Rs. 416 crores
FY10E EPS: Rs. 24.8
FY10E P/E: 8.1

Date Posted: 20/Feb/2008 at 11:30am
Originally posted by smartcat

From PINC Research Report on Moser Baer -

FY10E Revenues: Rs. 4,000 crores
FY10E Net Profits: Rs. 416 crores
FY10E EPS: Rs. 24.8
FY10E P/E: 8.1

Edel estimates -3.5EPS for 08 and 2.4EPS for 09.

-------------

Date Posted: 20/Feb/2008 at 11:49am
Originally posted by kanagala

You are right. It is expected to make negative eps for 08. May be couple of rupees for 09. Assuming that blue ray is future format, still it takes 3-4 years to get the traction in selling the new format media.

By the time they try to gather traction, some new hi-tech thing will ensure that blue-ray is reduced to a fraction.

Disclaimer: I don't understand much about any technology.

-------------

Date Posted: 21/Feb/2008 at 1:19pm
I invested in it for their PV business.  This could be another suzlon.

Date Posted: 21/Feb/2008 at 9:59pm
http://www.hindu.com/2008/02/20/stories/2008022060050200.htm - It’s a bonanza for movie buffs

http://www.hindu.com/2008/02/20/stories/2008022060050200.htm - Swathi Shivanand

An article about moser baer, it seems  like their   DVD business is making waves.  Apparently discs are flying off the shelves.

Posted By: India_Bull
Date Posted: 21/Feb/2008 at 4:54am
My exp is not so good about MB Discs, when I was in India, I visited 3-4 video shops to get some CDs, checked all 400/500 odd CDs that the shopkeeper showed, hardly could find anything interesting as they dont have good titles with them. also the feedback was not that good... anyways this is my personal exp and I am not interested in buying or selling this, but yes their new business looks good. 

-------------
India_Bull forever Bull !
www.kapilcomedynights.com

Date Posted: 22/Feb/2008 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by India_Bull

My exp is not so good about MB Discs, when I was in India, I visited 3-4 video shops to get some CDs, checked all 400/500 odd CDs that the shopkeeper showed, hardly could find anything interesting as they dont have good titles with them. also the feedback was not that good... anyways this is my personal exp and I am not interested in buying or selling this, but yes their new business looks good. 

Thank you for your input.   I guess it would take time to build a good library. They are buying new rights all the time.  They even have rights for "jab we met" it was a surprise hit of the year.

As it says in the article shop keepers make more money on pirected discs so its possible that they may not give favorable feedback.  I have seen quality of pireted disks in India, they cost about Rs. 80 to 100 , and quality is not always good.  Atleast with moser baer discs I would expect slightly better quality or at least equally good quality.

what are your thoughts on their Solar panel business?  They don't have exclusive technology so may face some competition but my feeling is that there will always be enough market for solar energy in future. 

Date Posted: 27/Feb/2008 at 2:31pm
is this a new line of business?   Stock has gone up today because of the news.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/news/buzzing-stocks/moser-baerjvft-stock-rises/12/15/328134 - http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/news/buzzing-stocks/moser-baerjvft-stock-rises/12/15/328134

http://sify.com/finance/fullstory.php?id=14611199 - http://sify.com/finance/fullstory.php?id=14611199

Posted By: tigerz_style
Date Posted: 12/Mar/2008 at 11:43am

Moser Baer India Ltd has announced the following Unaudited results for the quarter ended December 31, 2007:

The Company has posted a net loss of Rs 204.50 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2007 as compared to net profit of Rs 376.24 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2006. Total Income has increased from Rs 5150.25 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2006 to Rs 5348.58 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2007.

Date Posted: 13/Mar/2008 at 12:18pm
Moser Baer - Outcome of Board Meeting

Moser Baer India Ltd has informed that the Board of Directors of the Company at its meeting held on January 31, 2008, inter alia, has decided to acquire 100% shareholding of Moser Baer Entertainment Ltd from Moser Baer SEZ Developer Ltd, wholly owned subsidiary of the Company.

Further, the Board of Directors of the Company approved plans for a focused foray into creation of content to build synergies with the existing Home Video business.

Date Posted: 28/Mar/2008 at 3:17pm
Moser Baer India to sell its entertainment business to Moser Baer Entertainment

The board of Moser Baer India has decided to sell on going concern basis, the entertainment business of the company to Moser Baer Entertainment, a subsidiary company.

This was decided at the board meeting held on 27 March 2008.

Can  anyone explain the implications on its price due to this news.Will the stock bounce back or again go into a downtrend

Date Posted: 30/Mar/2008 at 8:48pm
moser baer is trading 20% below its book-value. so is it that markets are thinking that its assets are over-valued or is it a disconnect between price & fundamentals ???

-------------
In Cricket & Stock Markets, everyone seems to be an expert but only a few really are.

Posted By: akshayapandey
Date Posted: 06/Apr/2008 at 6:17pm
this company operates in an industry with high rate of obsolescence..all proffits generated by it have to deployed back in R&D, upgradation of machiner, installation of newer machiner..hence has very little cash on its books..since the industry has high rate of obsolence ..books value really does not mean much..consider a laptop bought at 42K today..can you rely on a book value of 42K because 3 months later same would cost aroung 30K..same is case with this company..

P/E wise it may appear cheap as it did in ealry part of 2004..but then proiffitability fell drastically..
management is good though and has managed it quite well.
PS: I had this syock@230 levels in early 2004..held for about 8 months and exited at a loss..

Posted By: Ajith
Date Posted: 06/Apr/2008 at 8:01pm
 Moser Baer is highly risky.There is always the outside chance that they will do well in some of the businesses.Management is reportedly excellent.

-------------
Ajith

Date Posted: 06/Apr/2008 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by akshayapandey

this company operates in an industry with high rate of obsolescence..all proffits generated by it have to deployed back in R&D, upgradation of machiner, installation of newer machiner..hence has very little cash on its books..since the industry has high rate of obsolence ..books value really does not mean much..consider a laptop bought at 42K today..can you rely on a book value of 42K because 3 months later same would cost aroung 30K..same is case with this company..P/E wise it may appear cheap as it did in ealry part of 2004..but then proiffitability fell drastically..management is good though and has managed it quite well.PS: I had this syock@230 levels in early 2004..held for about 8 months and exited at a loss..

good explanation

-------------

Posted By: kumardiwesh
Date Posted: 22/Aug/2008 at 5:24pm
Any ide about how Moser Baer would be at current levels of Rs 90?

-------------
"History does not tell you the probability of future financial things happening" - Warren Buffett

Date Posted: 22/Aug/2008 at 5:30pm
AVOID.

-------------

Date Posted: 22/Aug/2008 at 6:35pm
Hmm...why such a militant "AVOID"?

-------------
"History does not tell you the probability of future financial things happening" - Warren Buffett

Date Posted: 01/Sep/2008 at 9:56pm
PV installed capacity to be over 240MW by end FY09

-------------

Posted By: MissingLink
Date Posted: 02/Sep/2008 at 7:45pm

my view about Moser Baer

(1) whats the point in selling old movies at cheap prices. Anyway no one is interested

(2) blue ray DVD and all that is fine. But DVDs have lost their shine in front of Pen drives.
    For one carrrying DVDs is tough. Once scratched your DVD is gone. (remember the floppy drive days!!!)

(3) Lot of companies are moving into photo voltaic business. Last I knew giants like Reliance and Titan are also moving into them.
    Whats the point in being 3rd in the market ???

(4) Entertainment business is very risky. Without regular reveanue stream its not a bankable business.
    Not sure what were they expecting out of movies like shourya ?

I do not have any stocks of Moser Baer. I was in two minds whether to buy or not. But decided otherwise.
For me it does not give that comfort level...

Print Page | Close Window