Print Page | Close Window

Retail India

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios!
Forum Name: Sector talk
Forum Discription: Discussion on sectors with regard to specific matters. We will be discussing the various sectors of the economy and how they would perform. Basically a top down approach.
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=595
Printed Date: 25/Apr/2024 at 12:20pm

Topic: Retail India
Posted By: PrashantS
Subject: Retail India
Date Posted: 17/Nov/2006 at 2:37am

India’s retail revolution has finally begun

Reliance group opens 11 stores in Hyderabad on Nov. 3 and will spend $5.5 billion by 2011. Foreign retail giants are banned from direct selling to consumers in India. However retailers are allowed to team up with Indian companies where the foreign company wholesales and sources to the Indian retail partner who can then directly sell to the Indian consumer. The first such partnership is between Infiniti Retail (a Tata group company) and Woolworth of Australia. Rumors are Bharti Enterprises is also in similar talks with Walmart of USA or Tesco of Britain. By the end of November, Bharti will have a foreign partner says Sunil Mittal Bharti’s chairman.

Foreign retailers can’t risk to be late to the party and the Indian govt. does not open up for the FDIs. India’s retail sector is one of the most attractive in the world. India’s expected retail sales this year $250-300 billion. By 2010 that number will be as high as $430 billion and the modern retailers share will rise to more than 15% from about the current 3% this is according to Technopak a Delhi based retail consultancy firm.

Unlike Google, Reliance is not used to doing things secretly and making an announcement overnight. Their retail venture when in the works about a year ago had already created a chain reaction and sleepless nights for the major retailers all over US and Europe. US business is slowing, not just retail but all sectors. So the major retailers are dying to setup retail businesses in India as soon as possible just to avoid a permanent dent in their balance sheets. What does this mean to a consumer? This in general means better products and better prices to the consumer. You can also expect better customer service which hardly exists with the current mom and pop shops unless you are one of their favorite customers for decades. Some mom and pop shops are also on an expansion spree which probably will only work in smaller towns. The main reason I wrote this bloglet was Reliance. Now Reliance has announced that it is going to set up stores across India spending about $5.5 billion in the next 5 years. What does this mean to the stock price? Where will the money come from? What will be the returns? Anyone? Please feel free to comment!!!!!!!!!!

Replies:
Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 22/Dec/2006 at 6:07am
http://www.blonnet.com/2006/12/06/stories/2006120605710100.htm - Large retail: Average consumer spend doubles in last 2 years

But supply chain is yet to match demand

Bangalore , Dec. 5

Is the average Indian consumer retail-ready or is retail readying the Indian consumer? Either way, changing shopping habits in the country are giving global retail giants the perfect setting for their Indian entries.

Take a look at this: the average ticket value (transaction value of goods sold) of the Indian consumer in large retail formats like Lifestyle, Shopper's Stop and even malls has doubled in the last two years.

Lifestyle International stores across the country clock an average of Rs 1,500-1,600 ticket value per consumer, and during festive seasons such as Christmas and Diwali, spending goes up by 40 per cent averaging around Rs 2,000 ticket value per consumer, says Mr Sankar Suryanarayan, Vice-President, Marketing, Lifestyle International. He is expecting a footfall of 1.5 million at 11 Lifestyle stores across the country during the next one month.

Mr Gibson G. Vedamani, CEO, Retailers Association of India, said that average spend in large formats hovered around Rs 800-900 two years ago when the country was in the first stages of the retail boom.

"It has doubled now. Even supermarkets have doubled their ticket value. From Rs 250-300 a couple of years ago, they are now seeing an average family billing worth Rs 600," he said terming this "a good ticket size."

Lack of variety

While demand and potential for more formats will grow, the country's supply chain is yet to match the requirement, according to Mr Govind Shrikhande, CEO, Shopper's Stop.

Lack of enough merchandise and variety is still restricting the Indian shopper, but there has also been an increase of cash memos by about 20 per cent.

This growth is also accompanied by a significant change in the billing value of non-apparel products such as cell phones, watches and personal care products.

"This was a 75-25 ratio and now has changed to 69-31," he said.

-------------
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards

Posted By: India_Bull
Date Posted: 23/Dec/2006 at 3:15pm
Thanks Kulmaji for the nice post!!!
We need to find out which are the companys that are going to be benefitted due to the retail boom and consumer spending.(Direct and Indirect benefits:

e.g 1. Bluestar- Airconditioning for the malls newly built.
      2. Asahi India- Glass
      3. Nitco Tiles - Tiles and home improvement

Can the boardmembers come with the ideas ?

-------------
India_Bull forever Bull !
www.kapilcomedynights.com

Date Posted: 23/Dec/2006 at 10:08am
Nothing is very clear now...the race has jsut begun......

Date Posted: 23/Dec/2006 at 10:14am
Sandeep jee

You are right. We already have a thread called http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=490&KW=pick+axe&PID=7337#7337 - Organised Retailing Boom: Applying Pick Axe theme

I urge members to add their valuable comments/views/ideas there.

-------------

Date Posted: 24/Dec/2006 at 7:24pm
Financial Express of date carries this interesting article:

http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=149762 - Weigh it for the long term

The Rs 10,00,000 crore retail sector in India is demonstrating a rush of optimism and is turning out to be good investment ground. Pantaloon (now Future) has planned a pilot project of a 5,000-acre area near Indore and similar projects in 25,000 acres each in Gujarat, Rajasthan and Punjab. Provogue has plans to open studios with an average frequency of three months.

In fact, considering such big plans from retail behemoths, there are new players foraying into the retailing market to grab a larger pie of the retail market that has a shallow penetration of less than 3%. A case in point is two-wheeler maker Hero Honda's plans to foray into retail sector.

Given the diverse needs of Indian customers, companies structure their business models in such a way that the diverse and unique needs of customers are met quite easily. Models like "cash and carry", "department stores", speciality stores, hypermarkets and supermarkets.

The cash and carry is a wholesale format that involves shopping of retailers and shopkeepers. The format has a ballpark margin of 2-3% and volumes quite high. Consider Bangalore-based retailer Metro. For this, a retailer needs to subscribe for membership of "Metro" and give in requisite information.

Department stores are multi-brand outlets that include apparel, lifestyle products, except food and grocery. The format generates a margin of 30-40%, if strong brands are kept for selling. Also if private-label like a company's own brands are sold, it could generate a margin of 50-60%.

While speciality stores are single concept outlet. They can be a jewellery stores or a footwear stores. Again here if the stores sell their own brand, the margins are around 40-50% or else it is around 20-30%.

Hypermarkets and supermarket are analogous. Both include household and general merchandising stuffs like food and groceries. The only difference is pricing. Also, though volumes are high the margins that this format gives are around 15%. Despite such positive developments, what needs an immediate attention is whether this is the real case. There are challenges that may negate the positive impact of such developments.

Fragmented nature

The Indian retail sector per se is fragmented in nature. Of the total retailing, 3% accounts for organised retailing, while the remaining 97% is dominated by the Kirana shops. The paucity of data has given a cloudy vision to the industry. So it has become difficult to gauge the growth of the sector. It has also resulted in limited access to capital, labour and suitable real estate options.

Supply chain

Inefficient back-end supply chain has been one of the major emerging issues that the retail sector has been contending with. It has also added to the costs of the retail companies. Deepankar Halder, CEO, Spinach Stores of the Wadhawan Food Retail avers, "It is indispensable for the distribution network to fall in place, otherwise goods that are not delivered, when required, add to the burden of retail companies."

Manpower and retention

The sector is in dire need of skilled manpower that will make a difference for retail companies. Says Halder, "The executives that we employ at the front-end need to have right attitude as they are the reflection of the company's brand." Due to dearth of skilled workers, poaching people is evident amounting to bidding up for salaries. Manpower Retention has also become a daunting task for companies. Pantaloon spends at least 7% of its revenue in training and educating its staff.

Inventory management

This primarily refers to the execution aspect of retailing. Companies increase their efficiency through better inventory management. Inefficiencies at the inventory level result in cost additions like goods remain in the warehouse without being delivered along with the rent paid for the unproductive period. In order to avoid this, companies like Pantaloon has plans to invest in at least $25 million in IT to ensure minimum inefficiency and better inventory management.

Lack of infrastructure

The retail sector is deprived of investments from the government's side. In fact, this is the reason for private players jumping into the sector to cash in on the still-to-mature domain. More so, good margins of companies are more an outcome of absence of competition than anything else. In this case, foreign direct investment (FDI) may change the situation.

And with the government allowing 51% FDI for single brand retailing there are few good news ahead. In fact, according to a PriceWaterhouseCooper study, India will see a whopping $412 billion in the retail sector by 2011. And the influx of foreign players Wal-Mart in the Indian retail domain will have a positive impact, if things fall in proper place at a right time. Also the increasing presence of foreign players will ensure participation of Indian manufacturers in the international goods, outsourcing market-an area where China is ahead of India. The CEO of Spinach Retail puts, “It is a good thing. Endeavours (mergers and acquisition) like these will see best retail practices and discipline brought into the market.”

Also the advent of foreign players will lead to improvement and increase in the overall profile of employment in the sector, not to mention, the overall improvement in the brand perception of the industry.

Analysts believe that retail stocks will scale new heights due to the influx. It is also perceived that the market share will be distributed and hence reduced, prompting retail companies to manage competition with a difference. However, it will also result in a curb in margins in the long-run.

Investor’s perspective

One of the challenges that dawns on the sector is the soaring real estate prices. India's real estate prices have gone up by 80 to 100% over the last year. And it is estimated that the Indian retail sector will need an additional 200 million sq ft in the process of its expansion. But the impact of increasing real estate prices on operating profit of retail companies remains to be seen. How much impact it will make on the market is also too soon to be answered.

Some analysts opine that currently most stocks are at high valuations, given the expansion plans of the retail companies, which seem good in the longer term. Pantaloon, the market leader, has a P/E ratio of 57, while Wal-Mart has a P/E of 17.37. Also the growth opportunities that the sector entails call for patience and those investors who have long-term perspective will see good appreciation.

Investors considering the sector as an investment opportunity should understand the local dynamics and should decide accordingly.

Analysts expect Pantaloon and Provogue to emerge as aggressive players against Shoppers Stop, considering their good growth visibility. As regards Reliance Retail, it is perceived that the company will take around 2-3 years to match Pantaloon and Provogue's performance.

Though Reliance has aggressive plans like tie-ups and acquiring co-operatives that are not doing well, it is a matter of time that will determine the potency of such plans.

It is perceived that saturation will hit the sector in five years hence; sustaining growth will emerge as a Herculean task for the retail players. But what investors need to look at is growth, profitability and cash flow of the players. Also, the competition from Wal-Mart and Reliance Retail, both of which reflect robust ability to change market dynamics, must not be ruled out.

-------------

Posted By: basant
Date Posted: 24/Dec/2006 at 8:40pm
Real estate is the raw material for a retail  company. If real estate prices keep rising then pantaloon shall benefit reasons:

a) they have tied up all their propertyrequirements till 2010 so rentals are locked at lower rates.

b) The company also runs a AMC which is presently handling about US $ 450 million in real estate these shall carry a AMC fees of 2% and a profit share at 20% above the hurdle rate of 8%. Cash flow from this along with their US $ 425 million consumer fund shall start kicking in from Fy 07 - no brokerage report has accounted for these gains till date.

c) I learn that the AMC could see some further money and the management feels that raising further money would not be a problem and the company shall see further fund mobilisation once opportunities are identified.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Date Posted: 24/Dec/2006 at 9:03pm
Wow basantji ....my confidance has increased in Pantaloons after reading your posts........your are really a true investor.......the stock has beaten a little...can we add on to our position....please advice.....

Date Posted: 24/Dec/2006 at 9:11pm
Depends on whether you are overweight or underweight. I would not add since it forms a large part of my portfolio but I think this stock has still a long way to go. Just do the number crunching and you would realise that the proposed AMC fees scheduled to flow in from Fy 07 onwards should be significant.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Date Posted: 24/Dec/2006 at 9:38pm
Cash flow from this along with their US $ 425 million consumer fund shall start kicking in from Fy 07 - no brokerage report has accounted for these gains till date.
-------------------------------------

Had I read this a few months ago, I would have ridiculed the writer; not now. I recall someone telling in a lighter vein:
Two economists-cum-expert-analysts were walking down the main busy street during peak rush hour. They see a Rs.500 note lying on the pavement....but neither of them picks it up thinking 'It can't be for real...if it were, someone would have picked it up by now'!

-------------

Date Posted: 24/Dec/2006 at 9:49pm

Not all the AMC fees will flow into Pantaloon since their ESOP scheme is also running from this AMC but still they should get about 65% - 70% of these flows.Even a research house like Enam is not making any projection from these businesses because they are not sure how much profit will those ventures make etc etc. But for the investor this is like  a margin of safety. And  the person (Prashant Desai) handling these investor relations and these new businesses (Private Equity) was earlier with RARE ENTERPRISES!!!

-------------

Posted By: reetesh
Date Posted: 24/Dec/2006 at 2:27am

In my mind I think market will start discounting increasing competition in Retail sector in which Pantaloon had monopoly till now (almost) and that will refelect in Pantaloon stock price as well.

Volume story will pan out well but in my mind I have no doubt that margin will come down further, so only way they can increase there PAT is by increasing volume. As far as playing Pantaloon AMC`s business is concern I am not sure that is why we are buying or anyone should  buy Pantaloon. 

Sir: You keep saying that Walmart has not met with any success in any other country other than US, can you give me a reason why,?I am not satisfied by your reason that India is big country demand from North is different than South or anyother part.

Big Bazar sells almost all the things of  more or less same brand and same goods across India. May be something like IDLI maker will sell more in south than anyother part of the country. (One example)

So, in this case inventory is the problem than I must say that back end and processes of Walmart is there strength if they cant handle inventory problem than no one will.

To me why almost all major retailers are profitable in US is because of US consumer, if they are driving world consumption than we must not compare ourselfs with them and take Walmart failure in other countries including China as Walmart failure (be it back end,system,processes). It is our fault that we are comparing two different kind of consumer there spending power, etc.etc.

Having said that is no doubt it will happen, lets be realist we are noway close to it yet.

Mr.Desai being from RARE Enterprises is not good according to me and I will never give my money to Pantaloon AMC. (till he proves himself for a period of time)

Note: These are my personal and general views and is not targeted at any individual or his/her views or research, there are some questions asked from Basant sir (anyone can answer them) is just informal enquiry of his thought(s). Hope this will avoid unnecessary agruments.

-------------
When going gets tough, that’s when tough (people) gets going.

Posted By: deveshkayal
Date Posted: 25/Dec/2006 at 8:27pm

Will Wal-Mart Succeed in India? Perhaps...But It Won't Be Easy

"He doesn't realize it, but I know everything about him," says Indian retail magnate Kishore Biyani about a young man sitting with him in a Mumbai hotel meeting room in early December. "I see that he is wearing Colour Plus trousers. I know his waist size ... I know everything about him. We are a company of observers, and everybody is trained to observe customers," says Biyani, who is CEO of the Future Group and managing director of its flagship Pantaloon retail chain that last year had revenues of Rs. 2,018 crore ($450 million) and expects to become a $1 billion company by mid 2007.

Biyani often spends Sundays hanging about unobtrusively and watching shoppers at his company's 200 clothing stores in 32 Indian cities. The home-grown retailer's obsession for observing the average Indian consumer also at public places like temples and movie halls underscores what could be Wal-Mart's biggest challenge as it sets up shop in India in partnership with Bharti, a leading telecom services provider. "India is a very diverse country -- we have 6,000 castes and sub-castes in 28 states, and every community has its own tastes; every state has its own nuances," says Biyani. "To manage the diversity and the heterogeneity will be one of the biggest challenges for anybody who comes to this market."

Cash and Carry

India's retail industry is one of its fastest growing (with a 5% compounded annual growth rate) and has $320 billion in annual revenues this year, according to a report titled, "Retail in India: Getting Organized to Drive Growth," released recently by consulting firm A.T. Kearney and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII). Never mind that Wal-Mart's $315.6 billion in global sales last year is about the size of the entire Indian retail industry. "Rising incomes and increased consumerism in urban areas along with an upswing in rural consumption will further fuel this growth to around 7%-8%," the authors say, pegging India's consumer class with rising disposable income at 400 million people.

But now that Wal-Mart plans to enter India, attention is focused on the retail giant's India strategy. Wharton professor of marketing http://marketing.wharton.upenn.edu/people/faculty/raju.cfm - Jagmohan Raju says one big challenge Wal-Mart will face in India has to do with how it is perceived by consumers. "In the U.S., when you think of a big warehouse store, you think of lower prices, and small, boutique stores have higher prices," he says. "In India, the perception is exactly the opposite -- the bigger store has higher prices; smaller shops can offer lower prices because their overheads are lower. How will Wal-Mart's positioning of lower prices carry forward in a mindset where customer perceptions of big versus small are so different?"

Consumer Behavior

http://marketing.wharton.upenn.edu/people/faculty/bell.cfm - David Bell , Wharton professor of marketing, says Wal-Mart's business model is founded on "everyday low prices for consumers and squeezing costs out of the system, and customer service with friendly people who greet you." But those, he argues, do not guarantee shopper traffic, as consumer behavior is dramatically different across global markets. Coca-Cola might adjust to people's preferences in different markets by making its drink sweeter or more effervescent. Or McDonalds could allow people to consume alcohol at its restaurants in France and make hamburgers with rice patties in Japan. "But there's considerably more variation in the way people shop for products than their underlying preference for the products themselves," Bell says. "This is what makes it more difficult -- not just for Wal-Mart in particular, but for any retailer -- to be truly global."

Changes in consumer preferences that Wal-Mart will encounter have to do with simple things like how often people like to go to a store or what motivates them to choose one store over another. "In local markets, you have dynamics of retail competition, variations in the frequency with which people like to shop, variation in the kind of products that drive people to the store, variation in the importance of the retail assortment."

It is too early to tell if some of the controversies Wal-Mart has faced in the U.S. will crop up in India, too. "In the U.S., a number of small towns did not like Wal-Mart for a couple of different reasons," says Bell. "One is purely aesthetic -- these big boxes look pretty ugly -- and the practice of having huge buying power can be detrimental to the local economy -- people who try and compete on price. Thirdly, they are criticized for their employment practices, such as their benefits, and ethnic and gender discrimination in hiring."

Wal-Mart's most immediate challenge could be finding real estate at preferred locations and financing it at the prevailing prices. Biyani says his group bought most of its real estate long before the current price boom. "If we were to do business at today's rates, we'd have to shut down," he says. "The Wal-Mart model is very real estate hungry," says Raju. "They need a lot of real estate, close to where people live, and have easy access to them. The Wal-Mart model also relies on the fact that everything is on display, which requires lots of space."

Raju notes that if, as many industry watchers expect, Wal-Mart sets up its stores on the outskirts of urban centers, other challenges could emerge. "If you are going to travel by train, you'll have to carry your purchases in a bag, and then you'll buy less," he says. "If you drive your car there and load it up, Wal-Mart should have a place to park all those cars." Some industry experts have argued that the typical Indian consumer does not travel more than 6 km (3.75 miles) or 7 km to shop, and that few suburbanites own cars.

Raju says he expects Wal-Mart to adopt a blended model of its traditional format tweaked to fit the reality of Indian real estate. "It would be stores where you have all the products on display, but you don't pick it up and put it in your cart yourself." This would involve something like a handheld computerized device, he says, into which customers enter information about the products they want to buy. They would then collect their purchases at a checkout point at street level and drive away, or have them delivered to their homes.

More blending might be on the way, especially in cultural nuances. Wal-Mart's recent debacles in Germany and Korea, where it sold out to local retail players and exited, could be wake-up calls. In Germany, Wal-Mart's low price strategy failed to win it a distinctive market position simply because two other well-entrenched retailers -- Aldi and Lidl -- have been following that strategy for years, says Bell. He notes that Wal-Mart was also faulted for relying too heavily on a U.S.-driven view of how Germans shop, made worse by populating its top management in the country with U.S. expatriate executives, many of whom couldn't speak German. Thirdly, the Wal-Mart strategy of a price-service combination with friendly greeters and so forth backfired. "Culturally, greetings and friendliness in stores are viewed by the Germans with a lot of suspicion," says Bell.

Rites of Passage

Wal-Mart also had some lessons to learn in South America a couple of years ago, when it discovered that the design and layout of its stores did not match shopper preferences. "In South America, shopping for some families is a social or an entertainment-driven event," says Bell. "You have the whole family or the extended family shopping together, so you need much wider aisles." That, he says, is unlike what Wal-Mart is used to in the U.S., where a single person typically shops for the entire household, while other family members are looking after the children or at work. "It seems like a fundamental thing, but you could never predict that coming from the outside unless you have a local partner."

Chastened by these experiences, Wal-Mart may not face the same problems in India. Bharti, its local partner, is a leader in the mobile phone services industry and must have deep insights into Indian consumer behavior patterns. Even so, there could be surprises, as Biyani's Big Bazaar store chain learned the hard way a couple of years ago. The chain had bought 100,000 white cotton shirts, expecting good demand. But sales were slow, and promotional campaigns fell flat. It soon figured out why: The demographic profile of Big Bazaar's middle-class shoppers meant people who commute in crowded trains and buses and not in air-conditioned cars. For them, white shirts are high-maintenance hassles, needing frequent laundering. The group eventually liquidated its unsold inventory of white shirts through heavily discounted sales.

Wal-Mart's legendary success at procuring its supplies at extremely competitive prices has no doubt pleased its customers to whom those savings are passed on, but critics have accused it of compelling its suppliers to survive on very thin margins. Here, Biyani says he works differently. "We are not like Wal-Mart; we believe in a situation of win, win and win," he says. "The supplier should win, we should win and the customer should win. In Wal-Mart's strategy, and maybe that of other international retailers, the company wins and the customer wins. Somebody has to lose for those two to win." Future Capital Holdings, a Biyani-run private equity firm, last month raised $830 million that it has begun investing as vendor financing in manufacturers of foods, garments and fashion jewelry, among others. Products of these companies get captive shelf space at the Future Group stores.

Raju says existing national brands will need to plan their response to Wal-Mart very carefully to ensure that while they get to supply the retail giant, they also don't alienate their smaller store buyers. "They are used to it in the U.S.," he says. "Right now, Hindustan Lever deals with a lot of small stores. Tomorrow they will be dealing with large buyers like a Wal-Mart or Reliance Retail, so the relative power structure of buyers and who is supplying will change. This is a challenge they have faced in developed markets where they deal with the Tescos and Safeways." He expects the national brands in India, such as Hindustan Lever and Procter & Gamble, to figure out ways to help small stores with specially tailored services "to ensure they also thrive and do well."

Raju sees bigger benefits flowing to other players in the retail supply chain, such as farmers. "Companies like Wal-Mart coming to India, I hope, will help farmers because there will be fewer players in the chain," he says. "Farmers could form cooperatives to supply directly to Wal-Mart rather than have to deal with multiple intermediaries."

Party Spoilers

India's retail promise must seem tempting, but that outlook "is tempered by the fact that the country is grappling with severe infrastructure and policy issues," says the CII in the report it produced with A. T. Kearney. "Cold chains [distribution chains for perishable items], warehousing and logistics infrastructure will fast become unmanageable challenges for India if proactive action is not taken." It points to policy regimes that vary across states, "inadequate quality control and the lack of a skilled workforce."

Biyani doesn't buy all that, arguing that "India is a nation of dukaandars (shopkeepers) and that enough retail talent is available. He also dismisses concerns about distribution and logistics infrastructure with a simple, rhetorical question: "Have you [in the recent past] faced a shortage of anything you wanted to buy?" Biyani scoffs at Wal-Mart's logistics and supply-chain strengths. "Where will they run their Volvo trucks here?" he asks, adding in a lighter vein, "They will probably have to have bullock carts and handcarts in their supply chain."

Raju points out that Wal-Mart's efficiencies stem from the scale of its purchases, which determines what prices it pays suppliers. "Suppliers are willing to work with them because if they don't work with them they lose a big part of the market," he says. The Wal-Mart buying center at its Bentonville, Arkansas, headquarters "is huge, and that's why most of the companies' vendors have their branch offices in the city where Wal-Mart's headquarters are located," adds Raju.

Coping with Oversupply

Organized retail is just beginning in India, but plans call for some 600 malls to be built over the next decade across the country. The nascent industry in India could learn valuable lessons about what went wrong with retailers in the U.S., leading to bankruptcies, closures and sell-offs at companies like K-Mart, Caldor and Bradlees.

"What went wrong [in the U.S. market] is oversupply," says Martyn Chase, chairman of Donaldson, a London-based company that manages 350 retail malls across Europe. "One mall gets built, and somebody builds a new and bigger mall nearby, so the previous one is killed." He doesn't see an immediate threat of that happening in India, but says "you will get casualties in 10 years when you have too many of them." He attended a CII-organized two-day conference on the retail industry in Mumbai in late November, and is trying to persuade his European retail mall clients to invest in India.

Chase says the way to prevent hemorrhaging and consolidation in the industry is to bring regulatory oversight. "You need proper regulations governing mall locations, mall size and the like," he says. "Before you are allowed to build a mall in the U.K., you have to demonstrate there is a need for it, by proving that there is enough demand from people who live in that area to make the mall work."

Biyani argues that the underlying dynamics of standalone retail are not attractive. (Pantaloon's urban locations put it in a different market segment from that of the big box centers Wal-Mart might put up on city outskirts.) "In India, no retailer has made big money so far," says Biyani. (Pantaloon's profits last year were 3% of revenues.) "The money is in the peripheral activities; it's never in the retail itself. It's the power of retail that gets you the money; it's never the transaction that gets you the money."

Source: Knowledge@Wharton

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Posted By: manishdave
Date Posted: 25/Dec/2006 at 9:32pm
This artlicle is very good.

Date Posted: 25/Dec/2006 at 9:50pm
Actually this is full of insight. I like Biyani's way of chashing in. he admits that profit margins in retail cannopt be expanded so he is going into an all out effort to monetise his customer base. Soon he would be selling insurance, mutual funds, media rights inside his malls, getting into Mall management, real estate and consumer funds. 

The company expects cash fkow from these businesses to equal that of the primary retail activities in the next 5 years.

-------------

Posted By: nikhil090
Date Posted: 04/Jan/2007 at 8:16pm
Birla's move into retail

Trinethra gives Birlas retail edge
BS Reporter / Mumbai January 4, 2007
The acquisition of Trinethra Super Retail would put the Aditya Birla group ahead of competition, including Reliance, analysts tracking the development said.

Trinethra is an Indian Value Fund supermarket chain based in Hyderabad.

They believe the buyout will help the group to consolidate its position before its actual foray into the retail sector.

“The Birla group can leverage the acquisition of Trinethra, a well established player, in its expansion in south India. The buyout will give the group a headstart among all the new entrants including Reliance that has already started its operations,” retail analyst Susil Dungarwal said.

The group bought 90 per cent in Trinethra through Aditya Birla Retail – its unlisted retail arm – for an undisclosed sum, while the remaining 10 per cent will stay with India Value Fund.

Dungarwal believes the acquisition is just a part of the group’s larger retail strategy.

“Trinethra may not fit perfectly into their (the Birlas’) basket and not a match to the group. But given Kumar Birla’s passion for quality, the supermarket may get a completely different look and styling,” he said.

However, the group was not forthcoming on its plans. “We may enter larger formats also and have a pan-India presence. We are not eyeing any other acquisition for the moment,” a group official said.

Despite the entry into the retail bandwagon of Reliance, Bharti, the Tatas and now the Birlas, smaller retail players are confident of their existence.

“Many new entrants are opting for inorganic growth. Smaller retailers confident of doing well and sustaining profits will not sell off. Only those who think they cannot compete with big players will move out,” said Dippankar S Halder, CEO, Spinach – a food and grocery retail chain.

On smaller retail chains becoming the targets of the biggies, he said, “It depends on how big is your appetite. If you are satisfied with your wealth creation, you can sell off. Otherwise, you can stay afloat.

Analysts said the group would be able to leverage the retail experience gained through group companies – Birla Sun Life Insurance and Idea Cellular.

Birla group sources said Trinethra CEO Pranab Barua and MD George Thomas would continue to look after the affairs of the retail chain. The chain would maintain its southern focus for the time being, they added.

However, Aditya Birla Retail will have group finance officer Sumant Sinha as the CEO. The group has recently hired executives from Pantaloon’s Food Bazaar and other retail ventures.

Trinethra is believed to have posted a turnover of around Rs 240 crore in 2005-06. It has 83 outlets in Andhra Pradesh, 26 in Bangalore and 15 in Chennai.

Some of its stores are coming up in Kerala, and it plans to enter several tier-II cities in the south.

The chain operates its stores under the Trinethra brand in Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu and under Fabmall in Karnataka. It also has a format called ‘Quality First’ for commodities such as rice, wheat and pulses.

Date Posted: 05/Jan/2007 at 6:26pm
http://ibef.org/artdisplay.aspx?art_id=14463&cat_id=60

Mumbai: Li Ka Shing's romance with the Indian market looks set to continue in the years to come. The man with the Midas touch, who’s made a fortune with Star TV (which he sold to Rupert Murdoch), and has another one in the making with Hutch, has now readied plans to enter the organised retail market in India.

This will be done through AS Watson, one of Asia’s leading health and beauty retail chains, which is a subsidiary of Shing’s flagship company Hutchison Whampoa.

Sources close to senior officials at AS Watson (ASW) told ET that while the broad business plans are ready for launching Watson’s Your Personal Store, the health and beauty format in India, the foray has been delayed as FDI rules don’t permit direct entry of multi-brand retailers in the country.

“The study of the Indian market is done but the entry will depend on changes in FDI regulations. We are watching it closely,” sources said, adding that the wait could be as long as a year depending on how the situation unfolds on the regulations.

The wait and watch adopted by Hutchison is in direct contrast to retailers like Wal-Mart who have entered into a joint venture with Bharti for an entry into India while other international players like Tesco and Carrefour are also scouting for suitable Indian partners to partner.

Watson is currently present in 13 countries and has around 1,400 stores. The health and beauty store is part of the $12 billion ASW, which has 7,600 stores across 34 countries.

Apart from Watsons, the group also has ParknShop supermarket, Taste food galleria, Gourmet boutique style fine food hall, Fortress electrical appliances, Watsons wine cellar and Nuance-Watson airport duty free shops.

Watsons product range comprises of medicines, cosmetics, toiletries to confectionery, cards and toys. The move by ASW to be ready with an India plan comes as even the organised pharmacy retailing is gathering steam.

A whole host of players like Dial 4 health, Medicine Shoppee, Apollo pharmacies to name a few are expanding their retail networks across India. Many believe that this kind of specialised retail will be extremely lucrative in the years to come.

Most of these players have positioned formats on health and beauty plank and thus far there is not much differentiation to be seen in their offering. The beauty tack enables players to target a bigger base by stocking up cosmetics, personal and home care products.

Date Posted: 21/Jan/2007 at 4:23am

The real story of India's retail boom

Pummy Kaul and Prashant Mahesh, Outlook Business 

January 19, 2007

On a weekday, the DLF Mega Mall -- located in the IT and ITES hub of Gurgaon on the outskirts of Delhi -- bears a deserted look. Of the few operating shops in this large mall, most have nary a customer. The same goes for several other retail outlets and many of the other malls in the vicinity.

True, a retail chain like Future Group's Big Bazaar may be clocking heady sales (growing at 100% year-on-year), but the dozen-odd shops operating in its proximity wear a deserted look, giving a somewhat hollow ring to the much-talked-about retail boom in the country.

In what seems like a quirk of circumstance, malls have sprung up all over urban India in anticipation of a consumption boom that may itself prove to be eventually truant.

Move to Mulund (West), a suburban locality of India's financial nerve, Mumbai. Rajesh Parashar, a resident of the area has the option of shopping at Big Bazaar, Apna Bazaar, Subhiksha, Spinach, Shoprite, Foodland or at the local Sai Supermarket, all of which are within a two-kilometre radius of his residence

This is paralleled by the developments happening in the Delhi suburb of Ghaziabad, where the upcoming Shipra Mall at Indirapuram already has Big Bazaar operating out of its lower-ground floor, while Reliance is slated to open shop on the third floor. Customer footfalls, however, are more in the projections of the occupiers of the mall than real.

All this retail activity, and more, and the sheer gargantuan size of the investments planned, beg the question -- does the consumer's wallet have enough money in it for everyone?

"Only time will tell," is KPMG's executive director, Deepankar Sanwalka's laconic answer. To a great extent the success or the failure of malls will hinge on the consumer population of the area. "If the spending power of consumers is high in a locality, it could sustain two-to-three large players." Not so, elsewhere, he adds poignantly.

The significance of these remarks sinks in gradually. With planned investments of $22 billion over the next five years -- excluding what might be brought in by new global and large local players henceforth -- the retail sector is expected to grow 40% to $427 billion by 2011.

Organised retail, which is 3% of the whole currently, is in turn pegged to grow to $64 billion by 2015. And one consequence of all those investments will be the fact that India's present two square-feet per capita retailing space will rise 15-20% by 2010.

To be viable, the huge investments made in the sector by India Inc would have to be responded to by a corresponding massive surge in footfalls. And for that to happen, a lot of links would have to fall in place.

Between the drawing board and the emerging market realities, the realisation dawns that a lot of things can go wrong with India's much-heralded retail revolution. The more visible among these loose ends: vexingly high real estate prices, the loosely-knit distribution networks in India's hinterland, the near-absence of any modern supply chain logistics, shortage of skilled personnel, and a regulatory system that resembles a patchy quilt more than anything else.

Then there is the nature of the business itself. Retailing is a low-margin, high-volume, commodity business where profitability gets strained as competition intensifies. And if wrong choices are made regarding the location or the formatting of the store, woe betide the retailer. The catches are many and to make it big, a retailer would have to negotiate all the tricky turns most of the time.

The big players are sanguine, however. "There is enough room for six-to-eight players," says Reliance group chairman Mukesh Ambani, who recently kicked off the first Reliance Fresh outlet in Hyderabad. There are reasons for his optimism: the country's preponderantly young working population, disposable incomes that are expected to increase at an average 8.5% per annum till 2015, and a steadily climbing per capita income (from $460 in 2002, it rose to $620 in 2005).

In fact, it is the expectation of a large working and earning population that has attracted most global retailers to the country. But most analysts are agreed that the Indian retail market could at best support 10 large players with revenues in excess of $2 billion each by 2015.

Given the number of players getting into the fray today, this clearly means a winnowing out of the weaker retail players. What's more, that time could be sooner rather than later, maybe just three or four years down the line.

That's not so surprising, industry insiders even say, pointing out that a large number of the new entrants may not be committed to retailing in the long term. While some almost certainly are looking to act as silent partners for foreign players, others may be more willing to look at an exit option a few years down the line.

Says Hemant Kalbag, principal, AT Kearney: "I see consolidation happening in the next five years. That's when the shakeout will happen and the successful retailers will look acquiring less profitable ones."

But that's still in the future. As of now, the retail turf is set for some frenetic activity. Reliance has drawn up a

Rs 25,000-crore (Rs 250 billion) retail plan that would see its outlets dotting 784 cities and small towns by 2010.

Already it has 17 stores in Hyderabad alone (the number will go up to 40 by end of the above period). More recently, Sunil Bharti Mittal made news when he announced an alliance with the world's biggest retail chain Wal-Mart, for a supply chain and cash-and-carry venture, besides a franchise agreement for retail.

Seen as a coup of sorts, this could exert pressure on other retailers in the country to explore similar collaborative opportunities.

Laying The Pipeline

Between them the likes of Reliance, the AV Birla Group, the Tatas, the Godrejs, the Bhartis, the Mahindras, the ITC Group and the Wadias -- and a horde of others -- will be sinking in close to Rs 1 lakh crore (Rs 1 trillion) in the business of retail over the next five years.

In their crosshairs, are a host of retail-related activities such as cold chains, retail supply logistics, warehousing, sourcing and merchandising management. All of which are seen as absolutely essential if the front-end retail business is to take off on a meaningful scale across the country.

The players have hit the ground running. Reliance is hiring overseas talent to beef up its management capabilities -- it has roped in Peter Bracher from Asda Wal-Mart as special adviser for Reliance Fresh stores and Kevin Pleass from Tesco, UK, to help with store design and construction -- even as the AV Birla group is on a talent hunt ahead of its Rs 15,000-crore (Rs q50 billion) retail rollouts.

Retail icon Kishore Biyani is also stepping on the gas -- he has announced plans to roll out 225 Big Bazaar stores and hundreds of other outlets in other formats in the next four years.

The Tata group too earlier this year expanded its footprint (beyond the formats rolled out by group company Trent of Westside fame) by entering the durables segment, in a tie-up with Australian retailer Woolworths, with the launch of its Croma store.

"We plan to have a national presence with 30 stores by March 2008 and double it to 60 by March 2009, with a capital of Rs 400 crore (Rs 4 billion)," says RK Krishna Kumar, Director, Tata Sons, who is spearheading Tata's retail venture.

He adds that the company zeroed in on the segment given the findings of an internal study, which revealed that only 0.5% of Indians own air conditioners, just 1% own computers, 3.5% washing machines and 11.7% telephones. Other players like the Dubai-based Landmark group, with its Lifestyle and Max branded outlets, are also keen to expand into the grocery segment.

Reports indicate the company is in talks for a tie-up with Carrefour. Then there are players like the K Raheja group's Shopper's Stop and the Rajan Raheja-controlled Globus that are expanding their reach in the apparel and accessories segments. Others like ITC (a big player in its own right), the Godrej group, Century Textiles and Raymond as well as mid-size players like Vishal Megamart, Subhiksha and Sabka Bazaar are busy increasing their footprint.

Taking a cue from the global leaders (whose eyes are also on India), India Inc's retailers are thinking big. Reliance Retail, for instance, has chalked out a plan to roll out about 5,500 stores of all kinds in 800 cities, 85 logistics centres and 1,600 farm supply hubs. AV Birla Group is looking at pumping in Rs 15,000-20,000 crore (Rs 150-200 billion) -- with an initial investment of Rs 5,000 crore (Rs 50 billion) in the next few years.

Similarly, Bharti is expected to invest Rs 6,000 crore (Rs 60 billion) in the initial phase. Biyani's Pantaloon is not far behind. The group plans to increase its total retail space to 30 million sq ft from the current 3.2 million sq ft; and take its turnover to Rs 2,500 crore (Rs 25 billion) by June 2010.

By global scales, the numbers are not out of the ordinary. The Bentonville, Arkansas, based Wal-Mart -- the big brother of retailers -- operates 6,640 stores and wholesale clubs in 14 countries, while its counterpart in Europe (it is based out of UK) Tesco runs 2,600 across 13 countries.

The others have chains of comparable sizes and reach. To keep their stores stocked with their myriad products, the global retailers have sophisticated procurement strategies in place that hinge on sourcing products globally based on prices, quality and timely delivery.

Not to mention deployment of cutting-edge technologies that enable real-time inventory tracking and ordering mechanisms. "Tesco, for instance, can sell jeans for �2 as bulk buying can help it source the same from its global suppliers at far less than this," says KPMG's Sanwalka. Thus, globally, retail is a business involving massive scales and deep pockets.

Climbing The Greased Pole

Moving up the evolutionary ladder won't be easy for India's retailers. Especially given the large number of potential spoilers. Availability of quality retail space will be a key determinant for the growth of the sector. With most Indian cities undergoing rapid urbanisation, spiralling rental costs has most retailers worried already.

Hitherto, most retailers have preferred to go in for long-term leases. But with real estate prices in most top tier cities hitting the roof in the past two years, lease rental increases are making business unviable for organised retail.

According to PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), the current average lease rentals across some of the top cities range from Rs 88 per sq feet per month to as high as Rs 120 per sq ft per month. On an average, lease rentals account for 7-8% of the revenue and 40-45% of the non-material cost for retailers. Unless these prices stabilise, most retail businesses could end up taking much longer than originally planned to break even.

Not surprisingly then, within hours of making his deal with Wal-Mart public, Sunil Mittal, the chairman of Bharti Group, said his top priority would be real estate acquisition, whether through leasing or buying.

To that end, the newly-formed combine is roping in DLF, Emaar, MGF and Ansals to act as partners and developers. Such an arrangement could prove to be a win-win solution: while it will ensure quick roll-outs and lower capex, it could also improve asset utilisation of the developments. At the other end, players like Reliance could set up hypermarkets in their own SEZs to meet the needs of local residents.

Another way out of this problem, as some astute retailers have found out, is to become an anchor tenant. According to PwC estimates, an anchor tenant typically commands a discount of 30-45% on lease rentals and is responsible for attracting footfalls into a mall.

Retail biggies like Pantaloon Retail, Shopper's Stop and McDonald's have been quick to endorse this strategy. For instance, Pantaloon has signed up with 100 of the 300-odd malls that will be developed over the next three years. This, points out PwC, will enable the retailer to leverage its first-mover advantage on a pan-India basis.

Pantaloon Retail currently has 3.2 million sq ft spread across several formats and is expected to have 10 million sq ft of space in the country by 2010. Again, in Tier-II cities, where lease rentals are 40-50% lower than those in top tier cities, Pantaloon has been quick to establish its presence.

The retailer's real estate fund, Ksh*tij 1, which has a corpus of $80 million at its disposal, is understood to have invested in projects in cities like Ahmedabad, Baroda and Surat. Pantaloon expects to have nearly 400,000 sq ft of retail space in these destinations by 2008.

The other determinant of success here is the location -- if the outlet is not easily accessible by a large section of consumers due to distance or other issues, viability could come in question.

Here the neighbourhood format has an edge. Sanwalka of KPMG is of the view that smaller stores of 1,500-2,500 square feet (as against 150,000 square feet hypermarkets) in neighbourhoods might do better in India. The verdict is still out on that one, and we won't know till one fails.

Adds KPMG's associate director Kaushika Madhavan, "All new entrants are planning rapid expansion and such a scale of ramp-up requires scalable processes and systems, which retailers are yet to develop. So we would witness mistakes being made as Indian retail evolves. Ability to learn from mistakes will be a critical success factor." And here deep pockets will help.

While Biyani already has a successful retail model in place and Bharti will look to cut corners with some help from Wal-Mart, players like Reliance and the AV Birla group would have to go through a longer learning curve.

Grapevine has it that soon after the Bharti-Wal-Mart MoU, Reliance Retail's A-team went into a huddle to discuss its response. The fact that the world's biggest retailer will be pitted against them has not been lost on them: now, Reliance has to worry about Wal-Mart's strength in the make-or-break area of supply-chain management.

This will no doubt be factored into the retailer's own mammoth Rs 6,000-crore drive to set up its own logistics, complete with its own airstrips and a fleet of transport aircraft dedicated to airlifting supplies to key markets.

Indeed, the key imperative facing retailers in India is that of creating robust, scalable supply chains that would facilitate their rapid spread across the country. "India is a fragmented country and an absence of a strong infrastructure and logistics system makes it all the more challenging to reach consumers," says NV Sivakumar of PwC.

A vital logistical link in most retailers' plans happens to be the cold chain. And many of them like Reliance Retail and Future Group are reported to be investing Rs 6,000 crore and Rs 400-500 crore (Rs 4-5 billion), respectively, on setting up logistics.

Another big player in the segment will be the Bharti Group. Overhauling this part of the supply chain will be key to the success of any retail venture in food and groceries segment. Currently in India, the wastage levels for perishables are as high as 40% because of a large number of intermediaries as well as loss during transportation as well as through lack of storage.

Says KPMG's Madhavan: "The fact is that most retailers in India still don't have a stronghold on operations -- be it merchandising, supply chain management or procurement."

Clearly, while the players can build on the experiences of industry leaders in other markets while developing their supply chain, the Indian market may require them to improvise frequently.

Foreign retailers have shown that managing operations innovatively can provide a significant competitive advantage to retailers. Wal-Mart, for instance, leverages IT to track supply chain processes like cross-docking very effectively. Similarly, Tesco requires lean production techniques of its suppliers and has high-reliability delivery systems in place such as 'milk-runs'.

Most analysts agree that retailers would have put in place global operational metrics.

One way to measure efficient operations is the inventory turns ratio. A comparison of the US and India is revealing. Where, in the US, the retail sector has an average inventory turns ratio of about 18 (some retailers like 7-Eleven score over 50), most Indian retailers range between four and 10, says KPMG.

The other key metric -- stock availability -- is telling too: Where global retailers achieve more than 95% availability of all stock-keeping units on the retail shelves, their Indian counterparts cut a rather poor figure at 5-15%.

There are other areas that retailers would have to master -- such as reaping economies in procurement and transportation, bulk storage, trend forecasting to minimise inventory levels -- before they can truly claim to have arrived.

Early entrants such as Shopper's Stop and RPG Group are acutely aware of this truth: both took years to bring their supply-chain models to the present efficiency levels. Even a player like the Dubai-based Landmark Group -- which has been operating in India for eight years now -- insists it still needs to bring their ERP solution system up to speed.

Others may face new, unexpected problems. Scalability is what the likes of Kabir Lumba, Executive Director, Lifestyle International, is banking on for growth. The group, which currently runs 12 stores, plans to open 45 more stores at a cost of Rs 450 crore (Rs 4.50 billion) over three years. Lifestyle's stores attract 40,000 customers every day, and are projected to close fiscal 2006-07 with a sales turnover of Rs 500 crore.

Again, when it comes to technology adoption and usage, there's a yawning gap between the Indian retailers and those in the West.

According to a recent survey conducted among the country's top retailers by KPMG, while retailers like Wal-Mart and Metro have started using RFID technology (offering high inventory visibility), retailers in India are still to take to bar coding. As systems grow in size and complexity, retailers would have set aside increasing amounts as IT spend.

The challenge posed by the global retailers is clearly formidable. But local retailers' more intimate understanding of their customer base will help them survive.

Besides, even the world's largest retailers have slipped when it comes to the emerging markets -- Wal-Mart was forced to rework its model in Mexico and a similar thing happened to Carrefour in China, where it had to revise its strategy. Also, Wal-Mart's track record in markets such as South Korea and Germany has been nothing to write home about.

The other big issue for retailers is people. Analysts agree that the manpower shortage will get acute as retail spreads beyond the metros. Says Sanjiv Goenka, Chairman, RPG Group: "The biggest challenge for us and, for that matter, any retailer will be getting trained personnel."

The Manufacturing Angle

With Wal-Mart's advent in the US, the relationship of manufacturers with consumers was drastically altered in the latter's favour. While the results in the case of India's retailers may not be necessarily as dramatic, some major changes would definitely be in order.

Strategic sourcing tie-ups between retailer and manufacturer will be the main drivers in this respect. A few weeks after Reliance rolled out its retail plan, one of the first things it did was to negotiate with leading FMCG companies, including Dabur India and Nestle India, for a direct retail account for the products they sold at its outlets. Earlier this year, Pantaloon did a similar exercise and sought 5% higher margins for products sold at its Big Bazaar and Food Bazaar outlets.

Says Atul Joshi, head of the no-frills chain Subhiksha's northern operations: "For an FMCG manufacturer, the cost of dealing with us (modern retail) is negligible. We were the first direct retail account with HLL about seven years ago." The no-frills chain assures 8-10% discount to consumers on all products it stocks.

While retailers like Reliance, Pantaloon or Subhiksha may be bringing a change, the fact is that ordering or sourcing by retailers is still tactical than strategic, points out a KPMG study. Not many retailers have long-term agreements with suppliers.

Also, traditionally retailers have played a passive role in this relationship. In contrast, Wal-Mart actively partners with manufacturers who supply it products to ensure that consumers are offered prices at the lowest prices possible. In fact, it was precisely the retailer's legendary aggression in bargaining that partly drove the massive wave of restructuring of the US industry.

Indian retailers have their work cut out in this regard, but it is far from clear whether they would be able to emulate this dimension of Wal-Mart's success story.

More likely, the retail chains coming up will be less combative in their approach towards manufacturers. "We will have to have a collaborative approach. But the threat from retail to packaged goods industry will prompt companies to invest a lot in R&D," says Adi Godrej, chairman, Godrej Industries.

The statement's import is not lost -- private labels have a big potential as promotional costs are low for retailers and the margins fat (as much as 60% against 35% for others). Also, these non-branded products can be offered at far lower price points, generating volume sales.

Getting It Right

Organised retailers in India are trying out a variety of formats, ranging from discount stores to supermarket to hypermarkets to specialty chains. However, of late, most players appear to be gravitating towards the hypermarket format.

Retailers ranging from Pantaloon to RPG to Piramals or the Tatas are working towards exploiting this model, perceived by consumers as more value-enhancing. But in the long run, what is most likely to succeed is a more balanced multi-format strategy.

This helps retailers adapt to the very different shopping patterns that can exist within the country and even within regions. Here again, merely copying global trends will not help. In a research conducted by KPMG International in developed markets, it was found that single-format players generated higher shareholder value than multi-format ones.

Some feel a combination of cash-and-carry and neighbourhood stores, as in a hub-and-spokes model can be a good bet. Says one retail analyst, nascent markets like India need a lot of room for experimentation on part of the retailers. Ergo, there are no cut-and-dried solutions when it comes to fixing on the right retail format.

Finally, while in the first flush of the retail boom, the elimination of traditional intermediaries may bring windfall gains (as well as bring welcome and much-needed relief to the producers), this source will increasingly dry out as competition intensifies and margins come under pressure a few years down the line.

What would set the survivors apart from those who are forced to sell out (or go belly-up) will be differentiators like location, value-added services (convenience), private labels and customer loyalty programmes, other than price. The last, a result of retailer-manufacturer tie-ups, state-of-the-art supply chain infrastructure, global sourcing and scale will be a key factor. And, if experience in other markets is anything to go by, an uncanny ability to read shifting trends.

-------------

Date Posted: 21/Jan/2007 at 6:18am
A very detailed article on the sector.

Thanks Sandeep jee.

In all this hullabaloo, focus shall also be on Pick Axe theme, i.e. supporting / service industry to Retailing, which is likely to grow at an equal rate if not more.

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Jan/2007 at 11:34pm
Hum log sirf pick-axe theme ke baare mein soch rahe the; aur yeh 2 bhai toh asli Axe se jhagda kar rahe hain !!

-----------------------------------------

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/businessline/blnus/14271106.htm - French retail giant Carrefour in talks with ADAG, Wadias

DAVOS: After the American retail giant Wal-Mart's tie-up with Bharti, global retail giant Carrefour of France is looking to enter India and is talking to Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group (ADAG) and the Wadias for a joint venture.

Sources in the 86-billion Euro Carrefour said, "we are looking for a partner and Anil Ambani group is one of the most serious possibility".

Carrefour officials are understood to have met Mr Kamal Nath, Union Commerce and Industry Minister and some senior Indian officials at the ongoing World Economic Forum summit at this Swiss resort. Mr Anil Ambani is also in Davos.

Anil Ambani group's entry into booming retail sector, if materialises, would follow the mega retail foray being launched by elder brother Mukesh Ambani-promoted Reliance Industries which is opening its first store in the National Capital Region tomorrow.

Carrefour is also looking at the Nusli Wadia Group, the sources said. - PTI

-------------

Posted By: catchsudipto
Date Posted: 05/Feb/2007 at 9:07am
Parting gift from Reliance Retail

NEW DELHI: Faced with disquiet among senior executives, Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Retail has relaxed the restrictive clauses in the employee stock options norms, which had left the existing top brass unhappy and prevented new talent from coming on board.

It seems the big names in Reliance Retail, each hired at around Rs 3-3.5 crore plus compensation package, were asked to agree on certain draconian clauses.

One of them—this drew the ire of the execs the most—said they cannot join a retailer, retail consultant, supplier to a retailer, advertising company with a retail client or a retail training institute after leaving Reliance Retail.

They were also prohibited from joining retail services of any kind, including food & beverages, restaurants, healthcare and beauty parlours. If the execs decided to leave and join any of these sectors, they would have to return their gross salaries of the past two years and stock options, both vested and unvested.

Besides returning salaries, what upset executives was the open-ended clause which that kept all companies of their choice out of reach.

Supplier to a retailer means the entire consumer goods industry and in some cases it could also mean durables and lifestyle companies. Agreeing to such a clause meant shutting yourself to all emerging sectors,’’ said a top source.

Added another, “Since most verticle heads are from the consumer goods or the retail industry, they found such a clause very difficult to digest.’’ The ESOP terms and conditions also laid down that any executive who left could not induce, solicit, or encourage any existing employee to leave.

Also, the entire scheme was a double-edged sword. Those who signed it found themselves trapped and those who didn’t gave a clear signal to the management that they were not in the company for a long haul. Following a revolt of sorts, the management diluted the ESOP norm last month which says that once an executive leaves Reliance Retail, he cannot join a competitor (retailer) for two years.

Also, only his unvested ESOPs would lapse. By deleting the controversial clause (which stopped employees from joining a range of companies), the company has become more realistic about the talent crunch scenario within which companies are functioning.

While the Reliance Retail spokesperson declined comment, a compensation package expert told ET that stock options are usually forfeited if there’s a breach of agreement and the employee is asked to leave. In the usual course, vested shares are not taken back by the company. If Reliance Retail has actually put that condition, then it’s rather strange.

“The fact that it has also put the clause that execs return two years gross salaries is over the top,’’ he said. According to HR experts, companies should realise that there’s no dearth of opportunities in India. Given this scenario, it’s not possible to tie employees to certain rigid conditions which are legally not tenable
Source: ET

-------------
Make your Life as simple as possible.

Date Posted: 22/Mar/2007 at 8:52am
Lengthy but interesting article.....

http://www.livemint.com/2007/03/23025632/Neighbourhood-stores-feel-the.html - Neighbourhood stores feel the pinch of organized retailing (livemint.com)

For 50 years, consumers in Bangalore thronged Fatima Bakery to buy its famous cakes, kal-kals (a savoury deep-fried snack) and sannas (a steamed rice dish fermented in toddy.) Lately though, dwindling consumers have forced the bakery, run by the same family for a second generation, to diversify, of all things into pressure cooker repairs, servicing of gas stoves and fixing of malfunctioning rice cookers.

Over in Noida, outside the nation’s Capital, Pramod Gupta, owner of Anjali Stores, is cutting his profit margins on everything from soap to sugar, and offering discounts to hang on to what were regular shoppers.

A stone’s throw away, Vinod Kumar Verma’s tiny three-foot by five-foot vegetable store is fighting for its life. He used to sell produce worth Rs600 a day, but sales are now down to about Rs300, he says.

In the last few months, there has been a lot of debate in the country over what could happen to small retailers and mom-and-pop entrepreneurs when large companies enter the retail sector with thousands of branded stores that are bigger, often cleaner and pervasive, as well as cheaper to shop at, for most daily household products.

India, with 11 shops per 1,000 people, already has the largest density of shops per population in the world, with an estimated 15 million shops, mostly single-store fronts, often cramped, expensive and with limited choices. But they also employ millions; so, it’s for good political reasons that Sonia Gandhi, head of the ruling Congress party, recently weighed in on the issue by asking Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to carefully study it. -----------................

-------------

Date Posted: 24/Mar/2007 at 11:03am
Outlook on the retail sector for 2007 (FE)

2007 will be a year of expansion and growth for the organised retail sector, from both existing and new entrants. The economic outlook for India remains strong, supporting continued growth in incomes and positive demographic shifts. In order to take advantage of this growth, retailers across categories are ramping up their store networks aggressively. With shortening investment cycles, leading retailers are set to embark on aggressive expansion plans over the next two to three years in order to maintain market dominance.
Companies are consolidating their presence in existing locations and moving into smaller Tier II and larger Tier III cities, while regional players are attempting to expand their geographic footprint. Many firms are also attempting to establish a foothold in new sectors, pre-empting their competitors and stealing an advantage.
2007 will also see retailers strengthening operational strategies to differentiate themselves from competition and retain customer loyalty. A key difference between this and earlier investment cycles is the increased focus on developing the supply chain, measures that will benefit the sector as a whole.
While the potential tightening of consumer credit markets has been highlighted as a threat to this growth, other potentially limiting factors include the continued lack of availability of quality retail space, paucity of quality manpower and a need for greater legislative changes, such as uniformity of state-level taxes.

Food and groceries to see strong competition

The three nameplate entries into organised retail - Reliance Retail, the Aditya Birla Group and Bharti Retail (through a 50:50 joint venture (JV) for supply chain and a wholly-owned front-end) with Wal-Mart Stores Inc ('AA'/Stable/'F1+') - have all chosen the food and groceries category as their debut sector. This is due to the easy scalability of network and operations and the substantial opportunity in this space.

This segment has the lowest penetration of organised retail (estimated at 1%), and therefore the highest supply chain inefficiencies. It is also less susceptible to cyclical fluctuations as it follows the basic, more stable demands of consumers. These three retailers have all chosen the "small box" format for their preliminary entry into the sector, using this to establish their supply chain network.

Having established themselves in this sector, these new entrants have plans to enter the hypermarket format as well. Existing retailers, including Subhiksha (discount supermarket), Piramyd (Trumart), Godrej (Nature Fresh), RPG Retail (Spencer's Daily, based in the south), Nilgiris (supermarket, based in the south) and Pantaloon Retail (India) Ltd (Big Bazaar and Food Bazaar), have all announced large investments over the next few years. However, increased competition in this field is unlikely to have a major effect on broad-level operating metrics of existing retailers in the immediate-term, given the low penetration of organised retail.

That said, in larger cities where penetration levels are higher, losses at the store level could result from growing competition and higher operating costs.

However, given the substantial opportunities available in the Tier II and Tier III cities, the full effect of competition will only be felt in the medium- to long-term. Retailers will find it necessary to have at least a limited presence in larger cities despite higher costs, primarily for strategic and brand purposes.

Over the medium term, hypermarkets will have more competition. The Indian market is large enough to support around four to five major players, though survival will depend on retailers' ability to deliver tangible value to the customer and their supply chain efficiencies. Maintaining lean operating levels will become increasingly critical, and are required to manage margins. The longer term could also see a scenario of margins shrinking as growth rates slow.

Supply chain improvements

The supply chain will see substantial investment over the short-term. Reliance has announced plans to invest up to 25% (over Rs 6,000 crore) of its retail investments in improving its supply chain while the JV between Wal-Mart and Bharti Retail is focused solely on supply chain, with the front-end being owned and managed by Bharti to ensure compliance with prevailing regulations. These investments, coupled with those of existing retailers, will result in a marked improvement in the supply chain, facilitating higher efficiency, better inventory management, and lower waste. The food and groceries category, which is one of the most fragmented, will benefit the most from these initiatives, enabling retailers to offer better prices to customers and suppliers alike. With regards to other categories such as durables and apparel, Fitch expects a greater focus on private labels for the purpose of margin enhancement. Another noticeable trend is the focus on improving store-level operations, for example, in visual merchandising and point-of-purchase. These customer-facing developments are designed to improve the retail experience, with the ultimate goal of boosting loyalty and repeat visits.

Real estate pressures to continue

The substantial increase in real estate costs has impacted margin growth for retailers across the board. However, leading players have tried to mitigate the impact by:

Advance real estate booking at lower prices;

Revenue sharing pricing with fixed and variable components;

Negotiating advantageous rates from real estate providers using their "anchor tenant" status.

Retailers must also compete for quality retail space, which remains in relatively short supply.

While many large new retail real estate developments have taken place recently, many of the new malls have been ill-planned, and created with a view to quick profits through sale, rather than long-term sustained revenues through leases. As a result, some of these malls are already witnessing a decline in footfalls. With the creation of 150 million sq ft of retail space, provisionally scheduled for 2010, and with the increased contributions from reputable builders, Fitch anticipates greater availability of quality retail space in the medium-term. However, to meet the current expectations of 12-15% penetration and to support an ongoing growth rate of around 30-35%, the required real estate for the organised sector alone is estimated to be around 400-450 million sq ft. To meet this figure, the sector would need to invest between $8-10 billion, in addition to ongoing expenditure. As a result, we expect the availability of retail space to remain a constraint for retailers, continuing to impact margins in the near term due to the expectation of firm prices in the short- to medium-term.

Acquisitions and expansion

For the first time (barring the small acquisition of Fabmall by Trinethra), the Indian retail sector has also experienced M&A activity over the past six months. New entrants are finding it easier to pay a premium and acquire regional players in order to rapidly scale up their operations and establish a footprint in the sector. Examples include the recently concluded acquisition of Trinethra by the Aditya Birla group and the acquisition of Nilgiris by a private equity fund. Market sources indicate that other regional players could also be looking to exit the market in light of increased competition and the attractive valuations which currently prevail.

It is believed that this activity will intensify in the longer term, once the impact of higher penetration and slower growth rates is felt. In the interim, existing mid-sized players are expanding to gain the maximum footprint possible in the shortest time frame using routes such as the capital markets.

An example can be seen in Vishal Retail which plans to raise Rs 110 crore from its proposed initial public offering (IPO), while Pantaloon Retail (India) Ltd 'F1 (ind)' has raised funds through the sale of equity in its Home Solutions Retail Ltd to private equity funds. Existing retailers are expected to also raise additional debt to finance their expansions, likely to result in higher gearing, partly offset by the higher earnings expected from these investments.

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Date Posted: 06/Apr/2007 at 7:19pm
Shankar Sharma of First Global has released a report on teh Indian retail sector with some macro study. The report takes the total investment in retail by reliance, Bharti etc to be Rs 84,000 crores till 2010 and is structured as:

Total Investment   Rs 84,000 crores
RoCE                             11%
EBIDTA                      9120 crores (11% of Rs 84000)
General EBIDTa margin   5.5% (General Industry norm)
Estimated sales (2010) Rs 165 800 crores (9120/5.5%)

It argues that by 2010 the total organised retail market would not be equal to Rs 165,000 crores and assumes that inefficiencies could prop up or there could be buy outs.

My understanding: I am unable to understand what is so sacred about 2010. If the sector is growing at 40% plus (which this report also agress) then even thgough there could be excess capital employed in 2010 everything could be adjusted by 2011.

After all First Global does not suggest that there would be severe deviations from that level of Rs 165000 crores.

Also out of that Rs 84,000 crores reliance and to some extenbt Bharti are buying out property so in any case such a large scale property buy out would add to the capital employed but nothing to the EBIDTA since that 5.5%assumes that retailers run on rentals.

I think we should wait for the other parts of that report. Incidentally this was only Part 1 ina  5 part series.

-------------

Posted By: Ajith
Date Posted: 06/Apr/2007 at 9:42pm

There is nothing sacred about 2010 but that has been the general tendency.A 5 year outlook ought to be the minimum.

In Kerala a Fabmall outlet was doing lacklustre business till they started selling vegetables.Now they are doing roaring busiess.Why?They are selling tomatos at Rs 3.50 per kg while the salesman at a competing large local retail shop was telling me they were getting tomatos at Rs 6 per kg so how can they possibly compete.But the question is is the market large enough for so many players.Pantaloon is set to open shop soon.In any case local farmers are set to benefit as middlemen are being eliminated .Definitely,organized retail will triumph and grow rapidly.

-------------
Ajith

Posted By: xbox
Date Posted: 06/Apr/2007 at 6:56am
Organized retail is next big thing to India << after mobile, I guess >>. For jobs, entrepreneurs, farmers, financial & real-estate companies it is good news. I am not too sure about investors (expect promoters). First, most of them will list at highest valuations <<thin meat for retail investors>>. Second risk of being out of business is quite high. Margins will remain under pressure mainly due to competition. It will take a while for them to expand it. After 3-4 years, Market may not give high valuations to sector.
Margin of safety is key here.

-------------
Don't bet on pig after all bull & bear in circle.

Posted By: Ajith
Date Posted: 06/Apr/2007 at 8:32am
Yes,I would tend to agree.Expansion of retail would lead to spin-off benefits certainly but the final shape of who the winners are going to be is difficult to see at this stage.But since the pie is so large the ultimate winners(will be known in 4-6 years) will be amply rewarded.Whether Pantaloon will continue to thrive as local German retailers have is difficult to see but as I said its great that the pie is large and if it does succeed the market cap will multiply but its not going to be easy .

-------------
Ajith

Posted By: praveenmbd
Date Posted: 07/Apr/2007 at 3:45pm
Retailers offer incentives to fight attrition
2007-04-07 11:12:11 Source : Moneycontrol.com

Battling acute attrition, retailers are throwing in plenty of incentives to retain frontline staff, reports CNBC-TV18.

Organised retail is set to become one of the country's biggest employment generators. But at the moment the sector is up against a 30% attrition with a limited pool to hire from. Retention of employed staff, particularly the frontline staff constitutes 85% of a retailer’s workforce, is becoming a rising concern.

While http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/stockpricequote/textilesproducts/pantaloonretail/11/14/pricechartquote/marketprice/PR03 - Pantaloon has an attrition rate of 8.6% per annum, RPG Retail says their frontline attrition rate has drastically increased to 16% now from 5% last year. Subhiksha too is faced with an attrition of as much as 5 - 6% per month. And with large corporates announcing aggressive retail plans, retailers expect the churn rate to rise further. The worried retailers have decided to go back to the drawing board.

"The idea is to work on body, mind and soul, teach them to exercise, remain fit, yogic meditation for mind fitness, relationship development with other people, interdependence, how to eat the right things to be able to stand on your feet and sell for 8 - 10 hrs and how to keep the mind fresh" says Sanjay Jog, Head-HR, Pantaloon Retail

Pantaloon is spending Rs 30 lakh on 1000 employees per month for such an initiative. Reliance Retail has a talent transformation programme where people are made to identify their skill sets.

Pantaloon has gone a step further and tied up with the Madurai Kamraj University, which allows its staff, who are primarily 10+2 pass outs to do a distance-learning course in Retail Management and complete their graduation while working. On the monetary front some retailers are giving retention bonuses for every quarter an employee stays on after the first 3 quarters.

RPG Retail has also come up with a multidimensional incentive programme where their staff are given bonuses not just based on performance but by the total sales the particular shop makes. It now remains to be seen whether these innovative schemes will rein in attrition.

Date Posted: 07/Apr/2007 at 6:34pm
Garment retailers on space hunt
Pradipta Mukherjee / Kolkata April 3, 2007
Major garment brands are on a retail overdrive and are expected to create demand for over 100 units of quality retail space in the next one year, a development that will surely bring cheer to the many developers building retail space in the country.

Though some surveys have warned that there could be an oversupply situation in retail space in the end of 2007, the confidence and response of some of the major garment retailers reveal massive expansion plans driven by demand for quality retail space.

Increasing retail presence and buckling stores into destination shopping zones seem to be working with most garments and apparel majors in India.

In the face of retail boom, apparel majors have recognised escalating retail presence across the country as one of the imperative growth drivers for 2007.

For example, Cottons by Century, the apparel brand from B K Birla's flagship Century Textile and Industries Ltd, is planning to open 100 more company-owned-managed stores and about 50 franchisee outlets, taking the total number of stores to close to 250 by March 2008, with an aim to generate a turnover of Rs 100 crore by next fiscal, from Rs 50 crore at present.

"One of our thrust areas this year would be increasing our retail presence across the country, especially smaller towns and cities which lie untapped," said Mahendra Padhy, head-marketing, Cottons by Century.

Agreed Yash Manik, head – retail operations, Brandhouse Retails, a subsidiary of S Kumars Nationwide Ltd. "With rising disposal income levels, even tier I and tier II towns and cities are becoming significant consumers as branded clothing become more affordable ," said Manik.

Brandhouse Retails plans a total of 1200 stores this year for its brands – Reid & Taylor, Belmonte, Carmichael House – 50 per cent of which would be run on franchisee model and rest company-owned and managed.

Thomas Scott, the Rs 65 crore apparel brand of the Rs 800 crore Bang group of companies, is also planning aggressive retail expansion this year.

"For a not-so-exposed menswear brand like Thomas Scott, retail expansion is imperative to ensure visibility that lead to higher sales margin too. This year, therefore, most of our expansion plan would centre around retail expansion and as local a presence as possible," said Kumar Menon, CEO of Thomas Scott, which plans to have a total of 100 stores by 2008 from the present 4. These would be run on franchisee model covering 800 sq ft on an average per store.

Other apparel brands like Park Avenue which is also the highest selling brand of Raymond, is planning a total of close to 55 exclusive outlets all over India by December 2007, from close to 12 at present.

Date Posted: 07/Apr/2007 at 6:36pm
Bharti plans 3-tier retail model
Surajeet Das Gupta / New Delhi April 5, 2007
In a model that will fundamentally differ from its partner Wal-Mart's, Bharti Retail has finalised a three-tier retail format that will provide customers access to a store 1.5 to 7 km from their homes.

Bharti Retail, a subsidiary of the Delhi-based Mittal group, has tied up with Wal-Mart for back-end and logistics support. Foreign direct investment in retail is currently prohibited in all but single-brand retail stores.

Based on customer research, Bharti Retail is planning a small-format convenience store within 1.5 km of the customer home, a mid-level store 2-3 km distant and a hypermarket within a 5-7 km drive.

This is in sharp contrast with the Wal-Mart retail model in the US which is dominated by large-format stores on city outskirts. The world’s largest retailer has a few small convenience stores in countries like Mexico to cater to neighbourhood demand.

Bharti’s model, on the other hand, will have more convenience stores and fewer hypermarkets.

“In India, our studies have shown we require a multi-format store structure, and for large store formats we have to consider the challenges posed by our poor infrastructure. The distance has to be convenient for customers to go to the store,” explains Bharti Retail President and Chief Operating Officer Vinod Sawhney.

The small stores will range from 2,000 sq ft to 5,000 sq ft in size and will mainly stock food, grocery and household items that have a high purchase frequency of seven to eight a month.

The company plans to build a majority of the stores within this format under a model that will franchise existing mom-and-pop stores.

The hypermarkets will range from 75,000 sq ft to 1.5 lakh sq ft in size and a mid-level store will be 25,000-50,000 sq ft in size.

The new retail entrant, which hopes to have over 10 million square feet of retail space by 2015, is also considering shop-in-shop formats (under which it would rent space to a jewellery or pharmacy chain), and a private label for food, grocery and even consumer electronics.

It is also studying the possibility of introducing free home delivery services and an online format, should customer demand exists.

Date Posted: 07/Apr/2007 at 7:12pm
It is also studying the possibility of introducing free home delivery services and an online format, should customer demand exists
should customer demand exists: Mittal ji should be told that Big Bazaar already does home delivery and futurebazaar.com should be doing an annual sales of Rs 1600 crore in 2010 that is almost the 80% of Pantaloon's 2006 turnover!!!

Most of the demand is created they never exist and that creation is done by the first mover in that industry!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 09/Apr/2007 at 7:45am

http://www.business-standard.com/common/storypage_c_online.php?leftnm=11&bKeyFlag=IN&autono=22211 - - Gujarat

Press Trust of India / Ahmedabad April 9, 2007

Reliance Retail is all set to capture the food retail market in Gujarat by setting up over 180 Reliance Fresh stores in 16 cities and towns in the state over the next six months.

Reliance Retail, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries, will kick its operations in western India by launching nine Reliance Fresh stores in Ahmedabad tomorrow.

"Within a month, the company will open over 45 stores in Vadodara, Surat, Jamnagar, Bhavnagar and Rajkot", Parimal Nathwani, president (corporate affairs), RIL, told reporters.

"The number of stores is expected to cross 180 mark within the next six to seven months after cities like Mehsana, Palanpur, Anand, Nadidad and others are covered", he added.

The first Reliance Fresh store was launched in Banjara Hills in Hyderabad in November last year and till date, the company has started 100 such stores across the country

The stores that will be launched tomorrow will be the first in the entire Western Region and will provide fresh fruits and vegetables, grocery, dairy products and staples, said Gunender Kapur, President and CEO (foods business) Reliance Retail.

--------------------------------

Our Gujarat based members may wish to update us their experience of shopping at these stores as they open.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Apr/2007 at 6:19pm
Arvind Mills to open nearly 100 Megamart stores

Bangalore : With an aim to enhance its focus on tier-II cities, Arvind Mills plans to open nearly 100 Megamart stores in the country in the next five years, a company official said today.

Apparel discount chain Megamart, the speciality retail business of Ahmedabad-based Arvind Mills, currently has 54 outlets in 16 cities, with footfalls in excess of 1.5 lakh consumers per month.

"In the next five years, we want to expand from 16 cities to 100 cities, and from 54 stores to 150 stores," Arvind Brands Chief Operating Officer J Suresh said here. "We have a fairly aggressive expansion plans," he said.

Megamart currently has a 150,000 sq ft of retail space, which would be scaled up to 550,000 sq ft in five years, Suresh added.

In the current financial year, which would see it open 10 stores, Megamart plans to spend Rs 30-40 crore on expansion activities.It already has stores in tier-II cities such as Visakhapatnam, Guntur and Warangal in Andhra Pradesh.

"We have been growing at a compounded annual growth rate of 57 per cent in the last four years. "We are selling more than 2.2 million apparels annually."

The scaling up in the number of stores would see it expand into tier-II cities, Suresh said adding the company is keen to leverage Arvind's strength in apparel.

economictimes

Date Posted: 10/Apr/2007 at 11:56am
Reliance Retail off vertical limits

NEW DELHI: Call it the Wal-Mart effect. In the first gear shift since its launch last year, Reliance Retail is overhauling its management structure and changing operational heads.

From an industry vertical structure, the company has decided to move towards a store format-based structure with effect from May 1 to expedite the rollout of its ambitious retail venture and make it more accountable with separate profit and loss accounts.

Senior operational and functional chiefs such as Raghu Pillai (head of store operations), Gunender Kapur (head of Reliance Fresh), Sanjeev Asthana (head of agri) and Bijay Sahoo (head of HR) are likely to be moved up to the newly-created central leadership team, which will supervise the retail activities of Reliance Retail.

A new set of operation heads will manage the various retail formats. Bhavdeep Singh will take over as head of Reliance Fresh from Mr Kapur while S Radhakrishna will head hypermarkets, likely to be named Reliance Hyper Marts. Ajay Baijal will head Reliance Digital, the consumer electronics and IT store. The heads of other speciality chains will be decided at the time of their launch.

Another critical function of the retail industry—human resources—is also changing hands with Uday Bhende taking over as head from Mr Sahoo.

All format heads will report directly to Reliance Industries chairman and managing director Mukesh Ambani, said a source.

Mr Singh has been hired recently from the US, where he was working in a retail chain while Mr Bhende has been roped in from Siemens. Mr Radhakrishna joined Reliance Retail from retail chain Spencer’s last year and Mr Baijal was poached from Reliance Communications as a replacement for Rajeev Karwal.
Reliance’s new structure is a clear departure from its earlier one, which was managed as verticals, each under a CEO, with the front-end divorced from the back-end. “The structure was centralised and the merchandise and sourcing teams were independent from the actual retail business. That may end now,’’ said a source.

Veteran Reliance watchers compare this considerable change in the management structure to a similar exercise undertaken by the then Mukesh Ambani-controlled Reliance Infocomm, after the failure of the Dhirubhai Ambani Pioneer scheme.

Despite repeated attempts, the Reliance Retail spokesperson could not be contacted. While some professionals in Reliance Retail’s central leadership team are likely to play an active role, there will be some who will get sidelined in the process. While it’s not clear as to what prompted the development, analysts say growing urgency to usher in effective supply-chain co-ordination could have triggered the move.

“With each vertical working across more than one format, the company may have foreseen the problems it would lead to as the retail venture rolls out nationally,” said a source close to Reliance Retail.

Some call it a “hit-and-trial” approach to arrive at the right combination so as to gear up for the mega competition when the likes of Wal-Mart and Tesco enter the market.

Reliance Fresh just opened its 111th outlet, and the first Reliance hypermarket is likely to be set up in Ahmedabad next month while the first digital store is likely to open in Delhi on April 19.

economictimes

Date Posted: 14/Apr/2007 at 7:02pm
Early this week, Reliance Fresh opened first 4 outlets in Pune. On the way back home, I made a casual visit to one of its outlets. I was impressed with the look of it, especially the fresh veggies & fruits section. Prices were cheaper compared to street vendors generally.

Even around 3:30~4:00PM (hot afternoon), check out counters had a queue of customers. While talking to the staff I understood that there is tremendous response to fresh vegetables & fruits which they say is the main focus of its management.

Many customers were also signing up for some 'membership forms' which entitles for some reward point programme. On a purchase above Rs100, half a kilo Sugar was being given away free.

Overall a pleasant experience compared to Subhiksha/Spencer/Food Bazaar.

PS: This is my personal opinion. I am in no way an interested party to the success or failure of organised retail boom. However, I'm betting on 'pick axe' theme.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/Apr/2007 at 7:55am
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2007/04/15/stories/2007041502740100.htm%20 - Fabindia is now a Harvard case study

New Delhi April 14 It's a brand that does not advertise. It, in fact, celebrates the success of its copycats. And now Fabindia, the craft-conscious enterprise, is a Harvard Business School (HBS) case study.

"It is like playing a tennis match at centre court, Wimbledon in front of a packed stadium. It's a great honour," says Mr Sunil Chainani, Director, who has shared the Fabindia story at IIM-A, and will now be presenting it at HBS on May 1.

According to Dr Mukti Khaire, Assistant Professor, HBS, who has put together the case, students of the Ivy League school are being trained to perform in a globally competitive world, and thus the increasing focus on unique success stories from outside the US. Founded in 1960, Fabindia makes the cut for being an example of a corporation that does not just aim to do well, but does good too. "A strong mission can be both an opportunity and a constraint on the growth of a firm," points out Dr Khaire. However, the private retailer's unique value proposition has not come in the way of it being recognised as big brand today. And this in spite of the fact that Fabindia has never advertised, points out Dr Khaire.

"Our constant endeavour is to resist the temptation of going `mainstream' which is more of a commodities game, and develop and widen the niche markets in which we are the dominant player," says Mr William Bissell, Managing Director, Fabindia.

With 57 stores in the country currently, and one each in Rome, Dubai and Guangzhou, the company is to add close to 200 stores in the next four-five years. And it is also believed to be on a look out for private equity investment.

And, true to its founding mission of creating sustainable employment, it is taking its craftsmen along. From providing jobs for close to 15,000 artisans today, it is hopeful of supporting another 1,00,000 in the next few years.

(source: BL)

-------------

Posted By: CHINKI
Date Posted: 24/Apr/2007 at 6:00pm
I had visited Reliance Fresh yesterday near CMH Road, Indiranagar, Bangalore. It was started from 23rd of last month.

Locationwise, not much to comment as it is not visible from the main road. Size of the shop is not very big. Looks good, properly stacked (since it is new). Not much of parking space. Looks like they are looking for the neighbourhood people only to come & buy.

Regarding pricing, eventhough there was initial offer of 1KG sugar for every Rs.100/- you buy, other than that pricewise, not much difference to the kirana shops. All the prices are less by Re.0.5 to Rs.2/- from the MRP.

I was literally looking for some items where there would be some cost difference in comparison to Kiran stores. At the exit, I found a display which said, "BUY 5KG OF ANNAPOORNA ATTA AT Rs.100/-". MRP price is Rs.125/-.

Immediately I called my dad since he does grocery shopping ( infact I would have made more than 10 calls from the shop to him to compare the rates). He is very good bargainer and gets quality materials at reasonable prices. When I told him about the scheme, he cooly said, I have bought 10KG at Rs.175/-.

Inspite of all the hype, pricewise not much of difference. So is it another Supermarket??

-------------
TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST, BUT TOUGH PEOPLE DO

Date Posted: 24/Apr/2007 at 6:22pm
Very informative post. Let us analyse your research one by one:

Locationwise, not much to comment as it is not visible from the main road. : That is the problem. Quality retail space is just not avaialble. The early movers have locked in those ideal locations at lower rentals.

Size of the shop is not very big: Reliance Retail  is supposed to have 100 million square feet by 2010 and till date they have opened at most 200 outlets with an average area of 2000 square feet. That makes it .4 million square feet.Problem remains the same how fast can they get  land for the balance area.

Immediately I called my dad since he does grocery shopping ( infact I would have made more than 10 calls from the shop to him to compare the rates): This is a branded product.I guess HLL makes it so there cannot be any difference here in other words these products would  not be the differentiators also.

These outlets create hype by selling one product very very cheap. This draws in the crowd and they make it up by ramping prices in other products.

-------------

Posted By: vivekkumar_in
Date Posted: 24/Apr/2007 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by basant

Very informative post. Let us analyse your research one by one:

Size of the shop is not very big: Reliance Retail  is supposed to have 100 million square feet by 2010 and till date they have opened at most 200 outlets with an average area of 2000 square feet. That makes it .4 million square feet.Problem remains the same how fast can they get  land for the balance area.

Reliance's model of smaller shops is ideal for franchising... If Reliance plans to sell its franchise and the company itself giving the supply chain support, logistics support & training etc..

I think it is merely a factor of time before some big head in Reliance figures this out..

It would be one big expansion for Reliance..Clap

It could grow like McD in US...

-------------
Often we forget there's a company behind every stock,and there's only one reason why stocks go up. Companies go from doing poorly to doing well or small companies grow to large companies.
P Lynch

Date Posted: 24/Apr/2007 at 10:43pm

In that book "It happened in India" Biyani indicates specific problems that franchising has in India. he started with this model but had to change track very soon.

-------------

Date Posted: 24/Apr/2007 at 11:17pm

In that book "It happened in India" Biyani indicates specific problems that franchising has in India. he started with this model but had to change track very soon.

oo.. Okay... That must be true..B'cause All that happens in world..may not be applicable in India..

In India somethings may not work because of the intricacies of running the business.. Most mom & pop stores run without putting bills or receipts, thereby avoiding sales tax, maintaining dual books etc..

This fever will catch franchising also.. thereby shaving off profits for the Chain.. Makes sense...  Biyani is the man..

-------------
Often we forget there's a company behind every stock,and there's only one reason why stocks go up. Companies go from doing poorly to doing well or small companies grow to large companies.
P Lynch

Date Posted: 24/Apr/2007 at 3:02am
Basanthji,

Your observation about selling one of the product at less price is correct. I remember they were selling Onions/Potatos at Rs.7/- per KG. while it is around Rs.10/- to Rs.12/- at my place. I saw almost everybody carrying them.

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Apr/2007 at 4:12pm
Reliance Retail opens 74 outlets in Q4

Reliance Retail, a subsidiary of Reliance Industries opened 74 Reliance Fresh outlets in the last quarter of 2006-07, taking the total number to 135.

Reliance Fresh, a chain of fresh produce stores, is present in 16 cities and has a total area of over 370,000 sq ft.Of these, 96 stores were opened in 2006-07 in Hyderabad, Jaipur, Chennai, NCR, Ranchi, Bangalore, Guntur, Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam and Hyderabad, amounting to a store size of nearly 250,000 sq ft.

The company also launched the first consumer durables and IT pilot specialty store, Reliance Digital, in Faridabad.

This has a customer service component branded as ResQ and trained in-store associates providing technical and counselling assistance to the consumers.

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Apr/2007 at 4:16pm
Any idea on the area in terms of square feet., The number of stores business is quite misleading. they intend to get to 100 million square feet by 2010.

Reliance Fresh stores are normally 2.5k each so that is not going to get them to 100 mn sq feet.

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Apr/2007 at 4:33pm
Basanthji,

They are very clever. They are not mentioning about each stores area. They are saying 96 stores totalling to 2.5L Sq.ft. which comes to more than 2.5K Sq.ft per shop.

If I recollect properly, the shop I visited is less than 1500 Sq.Ft.

Small question, do they take their godown area and other utilities area where customers doesnot go also into the total area calculation???

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Apr/2007 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by CHINKI

Basanthji, 
Small question, do they take their godown area and other utilities area where customers does not go also into the total area calculation???

No, How can that be. At least Pantaloon Trent and Shoppers Stop talk about the area which is at the customer interface - the front end.

-------------

Posted By: us121
Date Posted: 27/Apr/2007 at 4:52pm
[QUOTE=CHINKI]
Immediately I called my dad since he does grocery shopping ( infact I would have made more than 10 calls from the shop to him to compare the rates). He is very good bargainer and gets quality materials at reasonable prices. When I told him about the scheme, he cooly said, I have bought 10KG at Rs.175/-. QUOTE]

Are Chinkiji,

Aap ke papa ko jaldi TED memeber bana do.
Hame bahot kuchh sikhne ko milega.

I think in today's time it is very rare to find such people.

And as is rightly said, you do not become rich only by earning but by judiciously spending there after.

-------------
ABILITY will get u at d top. CHARACTER will retain u at d top

Posted By: vip1
Date Posted: 27/Apr/2007 at 8:09pm
Reliance Fresh stores are normally 2.5k each so that is not going to get them to 100 mn sq feet.

Recently hey have opened up a Consumer durable store (Electronic)in GhaZiabad which will perhaps be from 5000-10000 sft . The Format of Big stores will be such to go up to 100000 square feet each in Form of Hyper and Supermarkets . In Delhi they have purchased properties on which 5 Lakh square feet can come up . So it is a mix of all Sizes of stores.

Date Posted: 27/Apr/2007 at 8:15pm
Yes, I know that but I was speaking in terms of run rate as on date.

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Apr/2007 at 8:26pm

Basant,

The war in Retail will eventually be of Scale and the one which does that earlier and at lower Costs(Ultimately Margins will shrink ) will have the edge.

Posted By: tigershark
Date Posted: 27/Apr/2007 at 9:34pm
carefour it is said has decided not to start operations inindia  at least for now.ET

-------------
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things

Date Posted: 29/Apr/2007 at 10:59am

Home decor is big business...Pantaloon shareholders will get a sense on Home Town...

http://www.livemint.com/2007/04/30003207/Indians-splurge-on-home-decor.html - http://www.livemint.com/2007/04/30003207/Indians-splurge-on-home-decor.html

-------------

Posted By: omshivaya
Date Posted: 29/Apr/2007 at 11:56am
Hey I was about to post that link yesterday. Thanks for that Devesh ji.

-------------
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it

Date Posted: 30/Apr/2007 at 4:59pm
US121:

Sure I will try to enroll my Dad. But being 77 years of age and belonging to old generation, he enjoys bargaining at the shop rather than invest in equities. When market was crashing big time on last two occasions, he was firing me left, right and centre.

May be we may use his experience for something, which I did again last week.

My dad belongs to old generation (Kirana Shop) while I belong to new generation (food bazaar). There is always      heated debates/arguments, but we carryon by agreeing to disagree. But on many occasions, I have observed that I am on the receiving end.

Basanthji,

Last wednesday, I had been to Foodbazaar which was opened just a month back. It is hardly two kms from home, located on the Outer Ring Road towards Tumkur. It is on the main road (good visibility), with ample car parking at the cellar. Only small disadvantage is that there is no u-turn cut near the shop. We will have to travel 1/4KM oneway and come back.

It has four floors shop and welly spread. Should be around 40K to 45K Sq.ft. Since it is new, lot of empty carton boxes were lying at the staircases. Good crowd. One of the lift was not working hence rush at the other one. Had a good feeling, bought the book (It happens in India)and spent almost two hours at the shop (doing research/investigation in Basanthji way).

My dad had asked me to get Sugar and Rice from the shop. To be on the safer side, I had asked the price for these items at the Kirana shop. To my surprise, rates were costlier by Rs.3/- per Kg for sugar and Rs.4/-per kg for rice. So I bought things for self and daughter rather than provisions.

I noticed very funny thing as they were collecting Rs.5/- for gift wrapping which they do not do in any of the shops in Bangalore.

-------------

Date Posted: 30/Apr/2007 at 5:25pm
Chinkiji seems to have become the Peter lynch of Bangalore!!!  Thanks for that info. Location is the most important thing in retail. I suggest that we could read that post on Mcdonalds which someone put up on the site.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/May/2007 at 3:36pm
Basanthji,

I visited the shop again yesterday. Being holiday and some promotional schemes were there, there was heavy rush.

Car parking was not available, A.C was ineffective and salesmen were looking very tired by afternoon itself.

I watched few of the couples/people shopping. Some of them were buying everything they were seeing. So good music for the investors.

By the time we could come out, we saw more & more people were entering the shop.

Small suggestion to the company: More than the Sales & PR training, these Staff would definitly require intensive training stress & crowd management    

-------------

Date Posted: 02/May/2007 at 3:58pm

Basanthji,

I visited the shop again yesterday. Being holiday and some promotional schemes were there, there was heavy rush.

Car parking was not available, A.C was ineffective and salesmen were looking very tired by afternoon itself.

I watched few of the couples/people shopping. Some of them were buying everything they were seeing. So good music for the investors.

By the time we could come out, we saw more & more people were entering the shop.

Small suggestion to the company: More than the Sales & PR training, these Staff would definitly require intensive training stress & crowd management    

If you read that book "It happened in India" you would see Biyani's view on this. He sends a team of peoplke to Tirupati and other places to understand crowd management but with newer stores opening each day it is really difficult to have trained and skilled manpower on the job.

I think that no matter what these guys will get trained on the job itself - but though this is an area of debate but not that much of a concern because with passage of time this learning would happen.- at least we are getting the crowd

-------------

Date Posted: 02/May/2007 at 4:59pm
Interview with KB by NTDV(main news channel) on this Friday 9:00 PM. Maybe repetitive dunno.

-------------
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it

Posted By: nav_1996
Date Posted: 02/May/2007 at 5:02pm
I have been to following three formats of Pantaloon in Bangalore in my locality in last one month and felt that biggest hindrance to Pantaloon's growth is not availability of customers but availablity of parking space:
1. Big bazaar on Old Madras Road
2. Brand Factory in Marathalli
3. COSMOS Mall in Brookefield which has food bazaar, e-zone, Depot, Pantaloon stores.

Infact in Brand Factory there were atleast 20 persons trying to desperately manage the limited parking the place has. The staff inside the store may not be more than 30.

Date Posted: 02/May/2007 at 5:13pm
Good point. Now consider that the first mover has the advantage of loaction if this the advantage what happens to companies who are planning strategies/JV's to get into this business now!!!

Thanks for pointing that Om. Generally we tend to miss those! I hope not.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/May/2007 at 6:39pm
They have a Pantaloon shop at the beginning of M.G. Road where earlier LIDO theatre was there.

Location advantage is making lot of sense. KB has moved very fast and early in this regard.

Another good thing is that Mr. Basanthji has identified that long time back and invested in that company.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/May/2007 at 1:43pm
Typically, like most management gurus, Prof. Nirmalya Kumar too does not mince his words. Be it the state of retail industry in India, the marketing strategies that are adopted in India or the Internet business Indians indulge in, Kumar does not hesitate to voice his candid views.

In an interview, Kumar, who is professor of marketing at London Business School, speaks his mind. Excerpts are available at the following link:

http://specials.rediff.com/money/2007/may/03sld1.htm

-------------

Date Posted: 03/May/2007 at 2:52pm
Thanks for that link Chinki(ji), appreciate your hard-work.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/May/2007 at 10:14pm
in his book it happened in india KB does mention this bengali  gentleman who used to spend a lot of time outside the ghariyagat store in kolkotta watching all the poeple go in and out he has been a vey early investor in pantaloon and has recomended the stock to a lot of his friends. my question---- is thisgentleman our very own BASANT?

-------------
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things

Date Posted: 03/May/2007 at 10:29pm

Typically, like most management gurus, Prof. Nirmalya Kumar too does not mince his words. Be it the state of retail industry in India, the marketing strategies that are adopted in India or the Internet business Indians indulge in, Kumar does not hesitate to voice his candid views.

In an interview, Kumar, who is professor of marketing at London Business School, speaks his mind. Excerpts are available at the following link:

http://specials.rediff.com/money/2007/may/03sld1.htm

Good interview Chinki ji ! Thanks for sharing !

-------------
P Lynch

Date Posted: 08/May/2007 at 5:31pm
Now a CAT for the retail sector

KOLKATA: Now, a common admission test for those interested in pursuing a career in the booming retail sector. In order to ensure that only those cut out for the rigours of the retail trade take up jobs in this field, Retailers Association of India (RAI) intends to conduct its own variant of CAT from January 2008 onwards to assess a candidate’s aptitude for retail management.

RAI is the principal lobbying forum for domestic retailers and its members include all the biggies, including Pantaloon Retail (India), Reliance Retail, Shoppers’ Stop and RPG Retail. “The three-hour test will focus on verbal skills, quantitative skills and analytical reasoning, with 35% weightage assigned to the first two categories, and 30% to the last,” RAI CEO Gibson Vedamani said.

Vedamani said candidates who clear this test would be admitted in nine business schools nationwide, where they would pursue a 18-month course in retail management. The course, split into four semesters, would be interspersed with an internship at a RAI member firm, he added.

Sourced from: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com

-------------

Date Posted: 08/May/2007 at 5:33pm
I saw on Tv that they would be calling it a RAT!

-------------

Date Posted: 08/May/2007 at 5:35pm
Hahahaha! LOL O yea!

-------------

Date Posted: 15/May/2007 at 7:10pm
Reliance Fresh launches six stores in Indore

PTI[ TUESDAY, MAY 15, 2007 06:00:10 PM]

INDORE: Reliance Retail Ltd today started operations in the central India with the launch of six pilot Reliance Fresh stores here.

Announcing the launch, the company's President and Chief Executive (Operations and Strategy) Raghu Pillai said the Mukesh Ambani-promoted firm will set up such stores in 70 cities across the country by the year-end.

"Within six months of launch, we have 151 Reliance Fresh stores across the country covering 419,000 sq ft of space."

Allaying fears of the farmers and vendors, Reliance Retail group Vice-President Farhan Ansari said: "In fact, now the farmers don't have to worry about the marketing of their produce."

The farmers will now have the opportunity to get the best price for their products at one place, Ansari said.

Reliance Retail is building a business that would focus on competitive offerings to Indian consumers across several verticals in diverse geographies through multiple formats. This will be built on an integrated platform with a robust supply chain, logistics and information technology infrastructure, he said.

However, protesting the entry of Reliance into fresh vegetable and fruits market, the local vendors set afire an effigy of the company's Chairman and Managing Director Mukesh Ambani here.

-------------

Date Posted: 15/May/2007 at 7:48pm
"Within six months of launch, we have 151 Reliance Fresh stores across the country covering 419,000 sq ft of space."

I think they are behind schedule to hit 100 million square feet by 2010!

-------------

Date Posted: 15/May/2007 at 8:03pm
I read somewhere in Ranchi (I guess) few vegetable vendors attacked Reliance Fresh outlets. This is quite serious (Though I am a small shareholder in RIL and indirectly in Reliance Retail, I would not be happy if thousands of small vegetable vendors loose  their daily wages or ROTI because of these shops )

Any views ?

-------------

Date Posted: 15/May/2007 at 8:21pm
So Ranchi isn'nt that far from the Alps. Yes the shops were atttacked but I am looking at it form another angle.

My reasoning suggests that if any of the bigger retailers get into predatory pricing they would incur the wrath of the local businessmen. This should prevent largescale undercutting at least in the hypermarket/food segment of the retail industry.

Though as believers in capitalism we should shun such action but Capitalism cannot overcome socialism (at least not in a hurry is the message that rings loud and clear).

-------------

Date Posted: 15/May/2007 at 11:02pm
In my view these kind of clashes between mom & pop stores & big retailers are just teething issues and will not cause any big impact .. (Unless some Political party interferes & throws some burning material at it)

Here I would like to recollect Management Guru CK Prahalad said in an Interview.. There will always exist  4 kind of very successful retails

- One who sells the Best ( the best products at premium price)
- One who sells the lowest (lowest to cater the masses)
- One who sells biggest & widest range of products ( provides the biggest selection for the hard shoppers in us)
- One who is the nearest (caters to our needs near to one's home )

I believe mom & pop shops cater to the last variety (the nearest).. These will continue to exist.. The ones that are good will change their product mix to adopt to the new paradigm.. But will continue to thrive very well..

In a country like India one cannot go to a Big Bazaar or Reliance to buy something...Ppl have to make Pit stops at mom & Pop stores to get stuf.. & this is where they will have to change themselves to..

I see Walmarts & Seven-Elevens(mom & pop like stores) co-exist blissfully accross the same junction in US & often think how Seven-Eleven can compete with Walmart in its pricing..

If I need a bottle of water, drink, snacks, over the counter medicine, magazines, newspapers & umpteen other products that one would need in a hurry right from a roll of toilet paper ;-) is here at Seven-Eleven... In walmart sure I can get a 6 pack water at a cheaper price, or a 6 pack toilet paper at a cheaper price.. But to park & get in , pay & get out of walmart it could easily take upto 15 mins at least..  But Seven-Eleven it is a breeze 2 mins..

Does not mean ppl go to only one type of store.. They go to different stores, depending on what they want the the time on their hand..
In a country like India it matters more due to lack of parking space, traffic congesion.. I would rather buy something 3 Rs more at a newrby mom & pop store than Reliance or Big Bazaar.. However if I want to buy big .. say for a month stock or so I might go to one of these biggies...

I believe mom & pop stores(those that do good business) will exist, but these big stores advent will keep them on their toes ...Doing the math Customer gets the good deal ...Thats all matters in a Consumer Economy !

-------------
P Lynch

Date Posted: 15/May/2007 at 11:16pm

Thanks for that insight.It was beautifully explained.

-------------

Date Posted: 15/May/2007 at 11:27pm
I believe mom & pop stores(those that do good business) will exist
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Biyaniji has said the same in his book "It Happened in India"...infact mom&pop stores are buying from Big Bazaar...

-------------

Date Posted: 15/May/2007 at 5:52am
Difficult to beat MA. He has capital, muscle & influential power to make his dream a reality. Many times we have witnessed it and no need to believe otherwise at retail front. He will do whatever it takes to reach your home, office etc. Most importantly he will do all these with healthy profit.
Reliance fresh shows amount of commitment he has for this venture. Selling fresh agri products is probably most difficult retail model. It involves lots of uncertainty which does not exists in other products. Selling fridge, AC, snack are much much easier to do as compared to this. Needless to say margins at agri-retail is quite sustainable.

-------------

Date Posted: 15/May/2007 at 10:01am

Agree Vipul,

Reliance Fresh has started with the most difficult Format of Vegetable retail. It is very easy to Sell FMCG goods having shelf life of 6 months but agri products have maximum shelf life of 1 Week hence the Most Difficult Logistics of Transportation. Storage and Preservation. MA has gone after the most difficut yet the Most lucrative ( Margins wise) . If he is succesful here the rest of retail Bandwagon will be Relatively easier.

Date Posted: 16/May/2007 at 2:04pm
Has anyone looked at First Global's retail report. I think that it is a case of looking at the BSE building from Maars and Venus!

The great duo have clubbed all the investments made by different groups at Rs 84,000 crores and then gone along to suggest that the whole model does not make economic sense.

Now someone should ask Sharmaji that while his whole exercise (futile in my perspective) should have taken some thought he has miserably failed to highlight one very important aspect of an industry. That is some people will make money and some will lose if you add all the numbers you still get a zero. This does not mean no one will make money!!!

Had someone been so intelligent he would never have bought Tv18 because most of the news channels are losing money so if you add up everything and make a case for the whole industry it is bound to create a result which is lopsided and beyond the realms of analysis.

Sharmaji should put some better theories to work rather then looking at one planet from anotherAngry

-------------

Date Posted: 16/May/2007 at 3:07pm
He is unaware that some TEDdies do watch the channels...sometimes!!! Anyhow, good entertainment!

-------------

Posted By: investor
Date Posted: 16/May/2007 at 6:36pm
Very well said Basantji! Clap

Has anyone looked at First Global's retail report. I think that it is a case of looking at the BSE building from Maars and Venus!

The great duo have clubbed all the investments made by different groups at Rs 84,000 crores and then gone along to suggest that the whole model does not make economic sense.

Now someone should ask Sharmaji that while his whole exercise (futile in my perspective) should have taken some thought he has miserably failed to highlight one very important aspect of an industry. That is some people will make money and some will lose if you add all the numbers you still get a zero. This does not mean no one will make money!!!

Had someone been so intelligent he would never have bought Tv18 because most of the news channels are losing money so if you add up everything and make a case for the whole industry it is bound to create a result which is lopsided and beyond the realms of analysis.

Sharmaji should put some better theories to work rather then looking at one planet from anotherAngry

-------------
The market is a place where people with money meet people with experience.
The people with experience get the money while people with money get experience!

Date Posted: 16/May/2007 at 8:13pm
Basant jee.......I have a complaint against you: why do you read those reports?Wink

I heard Sharma jee's talk in person once in one of the forums & lost whatever little respect I had for him. He advised some crap there & 4~5 days later talked contrary to that on TV!! 

I wonder how large MNC Bank employed such 'extra-ordinary' people!!

-------------

Posted By: Vivek Sukhani
Date Posted: 16/May/2007 at 8:30pm
Vivek, I have an issue here.

US and India are very different demographically. In India people can hoard things if they see it very cheap. Altrhough, my place is a little bit distant from Big Bazaar, but my mom is always willing to travel that extra distance for her stock of provisions etc. As I stay qiote quite near to the market( make it a case for mom and pop store), its very surprising that of late maximum purchase is being made from Big Bazar. Another change which I have noticed, is the stockpile of essentials and provisions which have gone up very significantly. All I want to day is that Indians domiciled in India, have a wonderful tendency to economise and save as much as they can. For them, such hyper retail formats are a boon at the cost of mom-pop stores. They may buy 3 soaps if they are getting buy 3 get 1 free , even if they require 2 shops because they will see a saving of 33.33 p.c. in their purchase decision.

Opinion may differ, though....

Regards,

Vivek

Date Posted: 16/May/2007 at 9:57pm

Vivek bhai...same theory applies to my mom. She is willing to go to D-Mart which is 6-7 km away from my home.

-------------

Date Posted: 16/May/2007 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by deveshkayal

Vivek bhai...same theory applies to my mom. She is willing to go to D-Mart which is 6-7 km away from my home.

If RadhaKishanji reads this he would be a happy man.

-------------

Date Posted: 16/May/2007 at 10:26pm

I liked this statement the most Basantji !
Worth quoting Clap

-------------
P Lynch

Date Posted: 16/May/2007 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Vivek Sukhani

Vivek, I have an issue here.

US and India are very different demographically. In India people can hoard things if they see it very cheap. Altrhough, my place is a little bit distant from Big Bazaar, but my mom is always willing to travel that extra distance for her stock of provisions etc. As I stay qiote quite near to the market( make it a case for mom and pop store), its very surprising that of late maximum purchase is being made from Big Bazar. Another change which I have noticed, is the stockpile of essentials and provisions which have gone up very significantly. All I want to day is that Indians domiciled in India, have a wonderful tendency to economise and save as much as they can. For them, such hyper retail formats are a boon at the cost of mom-pop stores. They may buy 3 soaps if they are getting buy 3 get 1 free , even if they require 2 shops because they will see a saving of 33.33 p.c. in their purchase decision.

Opinion may differ, though....

Regards,

Vivek

You may be right Vivek S ji. This is a popular tendency to India to go the extra mile to save money. But I believe in a economy where money is flourishing it is only a matter of time till this perception changes..

It is not always about saving when somebody buys at these retail chains.. It will also take sometime to realize that a family may not use something for a very long time if it is bought as a 6 pack or a 12 pack..
And it may make more economical sense for some to buy small , for immediate needs & also some to use their monthly cash flow efficiently rather to buy in bulk for needs of ensuing months..

The base of my thoughts was Mom & Pop stores should change their product mix in order to flourish.. If they do so they will also happily co-exist ..That will be changing paradigm.. They no longer can also outsell rice, pulses etc in large quantities..rather should cater for ppl who are in for some quickie needs.. & I am sure there will always be ppl for that..

-------------
P Lynch

Date Posted: 16/May/2007 at 5:56am
Well without going much into arguments, Mom represents old tendency. Needless to say some of old habit will jump into this/new generations as well, whereas rest will discover new habits.
There are so many retail formats to cater different habits. Some operate in one and some in many/all. There is pros and cons to each of them. Declaring one winner in many will only challenge oneself.

-------------

Date Posted: 19/May/2007 at 12:10pm
ABRL’s hypermarkets are expected to be around 75,000sq. ft compared with Pantaloon Retail (India) Ltd’s Big Bazaar hypermarkets that are around 70,000sq. ft.

http://www.livemint.com/2007/05/18180459/Aditya-Birla-Group-reveals-ret.html - http://www.livemint.com/2007/05/18180459/Aditya-Birla-Group-reveals-ret.html

Posted By: BubbleVision
Date Posted: 19/May/2007 at 12:28pm
This is exactly I dont like about ABRL group. They are into everything which is in fashion. IMO they should focus more on their core Buisness which is BaseMetals. They should try and compelte with Rio Tinto's, BHP's of the world, and not try to diversity so much into everything.
Didnt they came out with a steel company "Vikram Ispat", when steel was booming.

Diversify so much so that the results are always mediocere. That is the reason why Hindalco stock price is 40% below its 2006 peak, while BHP, Rio's are flying.

BasantJi...sorry for the wrong place for the post. Kindly move it to appropriate thread.

-------------
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!

Date Posted: 23/May/2007 at 7:27am
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1098644&pageid=2 - Convenience stores sprout in Delhi  (dnamoney)

Brightly-lit and splashed in day-glo colours, new supermarkets sprout each month in India's capital in a sign of rapid economic change that appears to be leading shoppers to shun small, traditional and family-run shops.

By the time New Delhi hosts the 2010 Commonwealth Games, a retail consultancy estimates, there will be one supermarket every kilometre (half-mile) in the sprawling city of 14 million compared to about five in 2004.

Kriti Pallav, a married working woman, said she switched from her local grocer to the new Big Apple supermarket chain because the outlets were air-conditioned and open until late.

"This shopping experience is new and welcome. I don't have to haggle for prices here as I have to with the local vendor. The quality is good and overall there is great hygiene in the store," she said as she waited to pay through a computerised system.

Big Apple, owned by Express Retail Services, has opened 22 outlets in New Delhi in the past two years and says it plans a five-fold increase by the end of 2007, offering everything from groceries to cosmetics.

"We have 22 operational stores in Delhi at the moment but plan to open 100 outlets this year for which we have earmarked an investment of around one billion rupees (25 million dollars)," said Express Retail managing director Munish Hemrajani.

The trend is not confined to New Delhi.

The retail consulting and research agency KSA-Technopak predicted in an April report that by 2010 annual retail sales by chain stores will reach 21.5 billion dollars, from 7.5 billion dollars now.

But there are also pockets of unhappiness about the impact that the advent of modern supermarket shopping is having on traditional shopping habits.

Earlier this month, thousands of irate street vendors attacked stores set up by Indian giant Reliance Industries in eastern India, saying the new nationwide chain threatened their livelihoods.

Some 5,000 vegetable sellers vandalised three Reliance Fresh stores in Ranchi in the first violence against the firm's plans to build a local version of US retail giant Wal-Mart, police said.

In the nearby Marxist-ruled state of West Bengal a powerful communist leader last week threatened similar protests against Reliance.

The small stores are facing an aggressive push by newer stores like Big Apple to cut them out by buying directly from farmers.

Companies such as Reliance have the advantage of being able to negotiate bulk deals and then offer low prices to lure people away from the small shops as, Hemrajani said, bargains were the only way to break the public's affinity for the estimated 15 million small retailers in New Delhi.

Extended hours for stores like Big Apple are hard for family-run shops, he said, adding that 7 am to 11 pm opening hours meant that "more than 50 percent of our daily sales" take place after smaller outlets had closed.

US-based Wal-Mart is expected to open mega stores in India by mid 2008 after reaching a deal with India's Bharti group.

Bharti, the country's largest publicly-listed phone company, has a wholly owned front-end retailing venture, Bharti Retail that plans to spend 2.5 billion dollars by 2015 to set up hypermarkets, supermarkets and other stores across India.

French retail giant Carrefour has put on hold plans to invest in India due to concerns over political opposition to multinational retailers entering the market. The world's second largest retailer, Carrefour wants to see how Wal-Mart fares before it steps in.

India does not allow foreign direct investment in the retail sector except for single-brand stores, so foreign companies must sign franchise deals with local companies to gain access.

---------------------------
This post also belongs to the "pick Axe Theme" thread.

-------------

Date Posted: 27/May/2007 at 7:14pm
Bharti to pay 11 royalties to Wal-Mart

Despite claims that it will only provide technical support to Bharti’s proposed retail chain, it is likely that Wal-Mart will be Bharti’s partner in 11 services for which the latter will be charged fees.
These include the following:
- .5% trademark licence fee if their brand name is incorporated in the front end.
- 2% revenue as wholesale trading margin.
- 2% revenue as running royalty.
- A royalty as percentage of revenues for display of exclusive Wal-Mart products in the retail stores.
- Franchise, software license, administrative support and other fees.
- Royalty for providing their supply chain management and training standards.

Wal-Mart has the role of technology provider in the Bharti retail business which covers vendor management and infrastructure for distribution and logistics.

Source: http://www.rvgonline.com - www.rvgonline.com

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Jun/2007 at 11:54pm

http://www.financialexpress.com/print_latest.php?content_id=166223 - Gulf firms eyeing Indian retail sector boom  (source: FE)

Dubai, June 5:  With a retail boom sweeping India, private entities from the Gulf region are making a bee-line to invest in the sector but are wary of some challenges in the huge and diverse market, according to experts.

"Over the next two years, India is planning to develop a staggering 518 shopping malls across the country. Typically every 100 miles, the food and language changes, which means that your communications has to be key," Srinath Sridharan, head of lifestyle business and strategic alliances at Wadhawan Holding Private Limited in India was quoted as saying by Gulf News.

The size of the country is another factor that could deter retailers from investing in India, said Shubhranshu Pani, president, retail services at Trammell Crow Meghraj Property Consultants.

He said Woolworths, a major department store in South Africa, was concerned about producing garments suitable for different climates existing at the same time of a year.

Susil Dungarwal, head of retail (west and south) at Emaar MGF, said the time is right for global companies to enter Indian retail market. But he too outlined several challenges facing these companies, including the ability to secure space in "legitimate and retail friendly properties" which are more than 500,000 square feet in size.

He also highlighted a lack of retail talent in India, but said the 15 million people in unorganised retail sector have the basic skills to make the jump into organised retail.

"By 2015 almost 72 per cent of the population would be under 35-years-old, which I think will contribute to the highest number of consumers in the world."

-------------

Date Posted: 07/Jun/2007 at 12:23pm
http://www.livemint.com/2007/06/07220106/Talent-migration-from-other-s.html - ‘Talent migration from other sectors into retail likely’  (live mint)

India may face a crunch of talent in its rapidly-growing retail industry but people from areas such as telecom, finance and IT are likely to migrate to this sector, a senior official of Reliance Retail said on 7 June.

“We face a huge shortage of people in retail. But we can migrate people from other areas to the retail sector. Nearly 2-3 million people would be needed for the retail industry in the next few years,” Reliance Retail president & chief people officer Bijay Sahoo said on the sidelines of the SAP Summit.

Being a sunrise industry, the country’s retail sector would take some time to structure, he added. Reliance Retail, a subsidiary of Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries, has hired around 16,000 people in the last 19 months and is expected to recruit more as the expansion of the retail division takes place, Sahoo said.

Beginning with the food and grocery formats, which is currently being rolled out under the Reliance Fresh banner, the group has indicated it is looking at other verticals such as hypermarkets and categories like apparels and consumer durables under its Rs25,000-crore expansion plan.

The firm has been readying its HR strategy with emphasis on recruitment, training and retaining employees. “We are strengthening learning and training programme for our employees. The training programme in retail is not tough like IT sector training,” he said.
Within Reliance Retail’s HR department, there is a team solely responsible for researching and collating the best practices from MNCs. The processes have been created by analysing the HR practices of existing players within Indian retailing and also global companies.

According to the company, retail firms can increase their profitability by cutting operating costs and fostering growth.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Jun/2007 at 9:17am
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/quickies/2109392.cms - (ET)

Identifying Indian youth as engine for growth of retail sector, global professional services firm Ernst & Young today said they offered a huge consuming audience for lifestyle and luxury products.

"By targeting the youth population in India, retailers will be investing in the future as they will be able to influence and create loyalty from the start," Ernst & Young Director Retail Industry Ashok Rajgopal said while releasing a report 'YouSumerism, Youth In India-Opportunity Knocks'.

The high growth in the retail sector in India is primarily driven by the impact of rising incomes, increasing urbanisation, greater brand competition and most importantly, a youth-driven culture, he added.

Analysing the potential of Indian youth market for retailers Rajgopal said: "Retailing in India is well past the stage of infancy with rapidly evolving Indian consumers who are seeking out modern formats."
Favourable demographic and psychographic changes in India's youth, its rising affluence levels and international exposure have fuelled the demand for luxury & lifestyle products, the report said.

"The Indian youth is more aware today than ever before, they are brand conscious and demand good product experiences," Rajgopal added.

The report classified Indian youth into three segments Dabblers (13-21 years), Aspirers (22-28 years) and Thrivers (29 -35 years) and said India with the world's largest youth population is indeed a resplendent market and a priority market for international retailers.

Rajgopal said availability of quality retail spaces and brand communication were also inviting investments from retailers in Europe and the US.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/Jun/2007 at 5:57pm
after reading this titan comes to mind

-------------

Date Posted: 09/Jun/2007 at 10:37pm
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/businessline/blnus/15091606.htm - Bharti to open retail stores early next year: Mittal (BL)

Bharti Enterprises will kick off its retail venture early next year, opening half-a-dozen stores - branding of which is still being worked out with its back-end partner Wal-Mart.

"The process is going on as per the plan and we are looking at a cluster of stores by early 2008... you will see half-a-dozen coming up," Mr Sunil Bharti Mittal, Chairman and CEO, Bharti Group who was recently in the US, said here.

Mr Mittal had met Wal-Mart Vice Chairman Mr Mike Duke in Washington during the visit as part of a CII delegation. The two partners have started recruitments and were busy sorting out the legal issues.

"The legal issues such as brand agreement, franchise arrangement may take some time... but we are going ahead as per the plan," said Mr Mittal, who had last year announced an investment of $2.5 billion in its retail venture. While Bharti would manage the front-end, Wal-Mart would provide back-end and logistics support.

FDI in multi-brand retail is a strict no in India, which, however, allows 51 per cent foreign direct investment in single brand retail and 100 per cent in cash and carry wholesale business. The existing policy also allows FDI through the franchisee route .

The Bharti-Wal-Mart joint venture is being structured in consonance with the FDI policy.

Mr Mittal, who also met several business and political leaders in the US, said that the Americans were keen on India opening FDI in multi brand retail.

Asked about the FDI limit in retail desired by the US, Mr Mittal said in the beginning they would be happy to see it happening, may be with 26 per cent.

-------------------------------------

This is good news for prospective employees & pick-axe theme investors.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/Jun/2007 at 9:22am
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Twist_in_retail_Get_set_for_NextGen_local_stores/articleshow/2111971.cms - Twist in retail: Get set for NextGen local stores  (ET)

Savvy shoppers that they are, Indian consumers aren’t completely taken with the glitz of the malls, and their hypermarts and supermarts. They love the shopping experience but they still drop by at their friendly neighbourhood kirana store. Besides, the bulk shopping that they do at these modern retails stores, there are the weekly top-ups to do at the local grocery, and the perishables that have to be bought daily.

A survey commissioned by SundayET to global market research company Synovate, has found that a sizeable 63% of the total respondents prefer to straddle both worlds: that of the mall as well as the local grocer. Only 26% talked about a marked preference for the mall alone, while there’s still another 11% that’s completely unmoved by modern retail and prefer their good ol’ mom and pop store.
The survey was conducted among 802 consumers, comprising an equal number of men and women in the age group 20-45 years in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Bangalore, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Kochi, Pune and Lucknow.

According to the survey, the entry of the modern retail chain seems to have even changed the way weekends are spent: 53% of the people interviewed said their weekend shopping behaviour had changed. What’s more, a whopping 69% agree that shopping at malls were treated as weekend outings for the family.

Says Preeti Reddy, vice president, Technopak Advisors: “For the Indian consumer, the mall with their hypermarts are seen as a destination — not a place for one’s regular shopping because of problems of transportation, shortage of storage space, weather conditions and the preference to eat and buy fresh. The local grocery is where most of the regular shopping is done. This isn’t going to change for a very long time.”

If the modern retail format was introduced on the premise of experiential marketing, consumers certainly seem to be loving the experience — 60% admitted they tended to overspend and the more they visited hypermarts and supermarts, the more they splurged. Not just that — with the entry of modern retail, 70% felt that their shopping spends had increased.

And would you believe it — 92% like the staff in modern retail stores and find them courteous and friendly? Their neighbourhood store couldn’t have been all that friendly after all.

But in case you’ve felt that the quality of shop floor staff is rather low, this could be an eye-opener for you: 87% respondents felt that they displayed effective communication skills and 84% said that they made them feel important. So surprisingly, there are no complaints on that front, it seems.

But that doesn’t mean consumers don’t have an opinion on how to improve things. Raghu Pillai, president (operations) Reliance Retail, agrees that shoppers are enjoying the new ambience.

They seem to love the modern retail format, but “they are also raising the performance bar to the next level”. According to Mr Pillai, hypermart chains are working to significantly improve execution, but every time that happens consumers too are shifting their threshhold of expectations.

And here’s what consumers feel could add to the experience. While 84% felt that they would like to have printed store circulars listing the best buys for the day, 83% wanted sales associates to have computer access to detailed product information.

Similarly, 80% wanted large store signs listing promotional items. Also 62% felt that the check-out queues were too long. “That’s a sign that the store’s doing well and it’s the case in large retail stores throughout the world. There are peak times when the queues are long, but then there’s the lean periods one can take advantage of,” Mr Pillai points out.

As far as the experience of shopping goes, 82% of consumers felt that the shopping experience was fast and quick while purchasing groceries, health and beauty care items and school and office supplies; 78% felt it was indeed fun shopping for music, movies, books, toys and games.

Interestingly, 68% felt that they got all the privacy they needed while buying personal products. So how’s the kirana store owner coping with all this euphoria over experiential marketing. Consumers appear to be polarised about their relationship with the kirana owner in the changed scenario.

While 47% feel that their regular trips to the malls have indeed affected their relationship with the kirana store, 48% don’t think there’s been any impact. The kirana store still has its advantages, even if it doesn’t offer as many choices as the hypermart: 57% said they missed the free home delivery service that the kirana store offered. And so 34% still shop often at the kirana, while 45% do it sometimes.

In fact, there’s no need to underestimate your local grocer, He may not look it but at the backend, he too is gearing up with to combat competition from the malls.

Explains Ranjan Biswas, partner & national leader, retail & consumer products practice, Ernst & Young: “Many of them are directly aligning with FMCGs so that they can offer you better discounts — earlier the MRP wasn’t negotiable, now in many cases it’s changed. FMCGs too realise that 80% of their business come from the kirana, and they are coaching, guiding teaching then and helping them modernise and compete.”

And most big kirana stores owners insist that they hardly feeling the threat, even if sales were slightly hit initially. “But after the initial euphoria, price-conscious consumers found we gave better value for money, convenience shopping, free home delivery and easy payment schemes, including credit.

Our sales have been growing because we are in the neighbourhood, which helps consumers save time,” says Parminder Singh of G S Stores in Shahadra, New Delhi. Consumers sure never had it this good. They even have people like Ketan Sanjoi, a Mumbai-based wholesale dealer, supplying directly to consumers to counter competition from other kiranas and large format stores.

“Most of us are now operating on high volumes and low margins as consumers are demanding competitive pricing on top brands in detergents, soaps and other grocery products owing to the growing popularity of the modern formats. Manufacturers are also asking us to push turnover to get better margins,” says Sanjoi.

Clearly, this is one space that’s just getting bigger and bigger and there’s enough room for all. And what’s the sociological interpretation of all this. Says Rajni Pagriwala, professor of sociology at Delhi University: “People’s preferences are largely driven by value for money propositions, convenience and better facilities.

So if you have a format which offers cheap and variety products under one roof, gives you facilities such as easy parking, air-conditioned environment and various add-ons such as a food court, multiplex and recreation, it will naturally draw people. But since there are no definite studies, it’s difficult to say whether people will shun traditional practices and habit in all circumstances.” In any case, it will be a long, long time before that happens.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Jun/2007 at 11:58pm
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/DLF_plans_giant_malls_ties_up_with_Tata/articleshow/2112327.cms - DLF plans giant malls; ties up with Tata  (ET)

Giving a big boost to its retail initiatives, India's largest builder DLF Limited has drawn up plans to set up country's largest mall with nearly 40 lakh sq ft lettable area and a chain of multiplexes in major cities.

It plans multiplexes at Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chandigarh and Ludhiana.

DLF, which is hitting the capital markets on Monday with the largest public offer of Rs 9,625 crores, has worked out an ambitious strategy to expand its retail business covering the entire spectrum of the sector.

It has already tied up with Trent, the retail business of the Tata Group, to partner across their intended retail formats, occupying a minimum of 150,000 sq ft feet in each mall. DLF also has an MoU with Metro Cash and Carry to identify suitable retail spaces in various locations across the country.

"The size of our malls is also increasing due to consumer demand for greater retail diversity and we believe that in the future, size will be an important determinant of the success of a mall," a DLF official said.
Slated to be India's largest mall, the Mall of India will come up at Gurgaon on a 32.87 acre land. It is designed by Jerde Partnership Inc, an international firm of architects.The under-construction Mall of India at Gurgaon is has a total lettable area of around 39 lakh square feet and a total land area of 32.87 acres.

On the cinema front, the company set up an entity called DT Cinemas in 1999 and runs two multiplexes with a total of six screens and 1,323 seats. It is planning several new multiplexes in and around New Delhi ranging from three screens to seven screens.

"As part of our growth strategy, we intend to mirror the growth exhibited in India's retail market in our multiplex cinema business by becoming an anchor client in most of our malls," the DLF official said.

DLF's retail space development plan has six main formats: stand-alone stores, shopping centres, prime downtown shopping districts, neigbourhood malls, destination malls and super-luxury malls. The business model includes both sale, ownership and leasing of properties, though there is a focus on retaining ownership and managing mall properties by the company.

The company has secured land for the development of approximately 44 million square feet of retail space, of which 10 million square feet is under construction currently. Among the completed and sold projects are the DLF City Centre and the DLF Mega mall.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Jun/2007 at 2:31pm

Company Profile:D-Mart  (Business India)

- Currently boasts of seven outlets in various suburbs of Mumbai and Navi Mumbai.Recently added two stores in Ahmedabad.
- Have plans to set up 40-50 stores in the next 5-6 years.
- Current turnover of Rs.300 crs,expect to achieve around Rs.4000 crs with the expansion.
- Employee workforce: 1000
- It owns 2.5 lakh sq.ft of retail space in reasonably good locations. All its stores are owned.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kulmanji,this was specially for you.You always ask about D-Mart.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Jun/2007 at 3:17pm
Thanks Devesh

My friends from Mumbai do always talk highly of bargains available at D-Mart.

As I understood on this forum, it's owned by Radhakrishna Damani whom RJ considers as his Guru.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window