Print Page | Close Window

Vijay Mallya – Cheers!!!

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Market Strategies
Forum Name: Indian Leaders (Idols)
Forum Discription: We discuss the specific attributes that the leaders of modern India possess. Interviews, Writeups, general comments would allow us to focus on the strngth of these leaders.
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=540
Printed Date: 29/Apr/2024 at 8:22pm

Topic: Vijay Mallya – Cheers!!!
Posted By: basant
Subject: Vijay Mallya – Cheers!!!
Date Posted: 28/Oct/2006 at 6:04pm

Vijay Mallya – Cheers!!!

Can you tell us something about your education, and when you got into business?

I passed out of La Martinere in Calcutta after my senior year at Cambridge in 1973 and in the six months gap before results were out my father put me in the business to work as a trainee. I was sent to Bihar and UP, etc as part of

the training. I then joined St. Xavier.s in Calcutta for my Bcom exam.Lectures were 6am to 1030 everyday, after that I.d go straight to the office and work a full day. So, I was thrown in the deep end from a very young age.

What do you base your vision for UB group on?

Vision is the fine balance between the practicality of a dream on one side and the reality of being able to achieve it on the other side. Vision should be practical, vision should not be a pipe dream, it should reflect the highest of aspirations yet it has to be firmly grounded in reality. Having said that, I don.t

mean to suggest that people should be conservative. Vision must reflect reality, vision should be aggressive, vision should be designed principally to outperform the market and outperform the competition and at the same time should be achievable.

I am in the fast-moving consumer product business. I have taken a lot of pain to understand my product and my product.s relationship with the consumer of my product. This is not a matter of just buying and selling or just vanilla

marketing. I look at a consumer product, particularly a product that is consumed, as having a relationship with the person consuming that product. I therefore believe that brands are not things that are inanimate; I think that

brands are like animals, brands have life. It is important therefore to constantly reinforce the relationship between the brand and the target group. Once you have succeeded in establishing a relationship between the brand and the target group, you can then look at various other research led numbers to see how your target group will expand, how consumption patterns will evolve and therefore you can sit back with all these different ingredients and say I have a vision.

How does your brand strategy evolve?

We have a continuous program of understanding the consumers because those who do not focus on understanding the consumer will never get it right. Consumer.s needs are often changing and evolving which immediately puts pressure on any company manufacturing FMCG products to change with the evolution of the consumer.s needs.

In my group, we trace the evolution of my own products and I evaluate them against the evolution of the consumers needs. What was ten years ago will never be ten years hence. Indeed what was ten years ago is very different

from what is today. Just yesterday I was reviewing one aspect of my brand portfolio and I looked at that same brand what it was 20 years ago, ten years ago, what it is today and what we are doing today to revamp the brand, to cater to the changing expectations of the consumers for the next ten years, this is the process of evolution and change.

How important is innovation in your business?

What is it that differentiates us from others? I believe one critical element of vision is innovation and I am a very firm believer of innovation whether it is innovation in packaging, in brand equity and consumer pull, in generating trade push, in the product itself and quality of the product. The airline, of course, has a bit of history. I was the first to launch an airline

called UB Air, but I shut it down because the environment was not conducive. But it is not a foolhardy business any longer with 27% growth in passenger traffic in one year. Yes, it is capital intensive but it is the only business where the assets are moveable. If an aircraft is not flying in India, it can fly in Australia. It makes for a good business case.

My vision was brand new aircraft, a never seen before in flight experience, connectivity, frequency, all this and use of the modern technology to cut costs and be more efficient. Never before in the history of Indian aviation history has any airline offered an in flight entertainment system for every passenger on board, there are individual TV screens for everybody.

Kingfisher ordered a number of A-380s, where will it land in India?

A-380s are not only going to land but the Airport authority of India has actually built five dedicated parking spaces for A-380s, two in Mumbai, three in Delhi which are going to be ready by June 06. I have applied for all the five parking spaces, I have five 380s. Ours is the only Indian airline that has ordered A380s and now I don.t have parking problems also.

Your level of responsibility is quite large from the number of companies you handle; so the employees become a very important factor in terms of running businesses. What is the most important factor in keeping them motivated?

I have publicly stated on many occasions and I continue to state that people are our most precious asset. You may have the best technology, the best hardware, best software, all the money in the bank, but if you don.t have good people, you are stuck. So I have focused on people a lot over the last

20 years. I am very happy to say to you that senior management-wise, UB has perhaps no attrition, or the lowest attrition among any company in India.

You take all the people, who are heading our big businesses, they have all been with UB group 20 years plus, reporting to me. I give them the ability to make judgements, to make decisions, and I empower them truly. I encourage them to take decisions, I guide them and forgive them if they take a wrong decision, in other words I have removed the fear out of them and have empowered them.

The second thing is that I have given huge rewards for performance and the third thing is that they know that I am a very hard task master but a task master with a heart.

Do you have a hands-on approach to managing your businesses?

I lead from the front. I don.t sit in an ivory tower in my office and make others work, I lead from the front. I go down to the streets , I go and visit the same retailers to do what the salesman is doing, I will go to the same manufacturing unit and sit on the same production line as somebody else is

doing. I also have some rules - I don.t keep a piece of paper on my table for more than 24 hours - so whatever be my work load - I will sit in the office and clear the whole bunch before I go to sleep. And people have come to I appreciate this that if I make them work hard, I work hard as well.

You are often perceived as having a larger than life image because of your flamboyant lifestyle?

I could not advertise, I had restraints and constraints and over-regulation everywhere so at the end of the day I lived the brand, I became the biggest brand ambassador myself and that was exciting. To be able to build a brand that denotes lifestyle and today lifestyle is very relevant for modern India. All youngsters today want lifestyle, they want to wear good clothes, they want to spend on food, drink, entertainment - so a lifestyle brand like Kingfisher is all

the more relevant. What I started 25 years ago will be far more relevant for the next 25 years.

Looking back, what is one mistake you made which you shouldn.t have, or a decision which could have been taken otherwise?

When I acquired Best & Crompton Engineering. That was one acquisition that I couldn.t make work because of the culture of the people in that company and the diversity of the business was so complex that I couldn.t make it work.

What were the key challenges you have faced over the years?

When I took over UB after my father died, I was a youngster. I lived like a youngster - I liked fast cars; I liked to go to horse races, etc. I did things which other people never did; they were lot more conservative so whole press campaigns started about me being a playboy, partying too much, etc. and that I would drive UB bankrupt. As a result, the banks got very nervous so UB could not access funds very easily, it became a big problem. I tried to be as convincing as I could but the bottom line is that the company performance spoke for itself. As much as the media used to bash me and try to put me down as a playboy, the company’s performance kept growing better and better. Ultimately performance counts, so that is where I have been focusing.

How do you manage your time between work and family?

Everybody around me realises that my work is what keeps me going, that is the
single most important part of my life, so I have enough space, nobody bothers me. My eldest son is at a university in England, my daughters are in America. They are growing up - so I like to see them but the good point is

that for three months in the year during summer they come to India so I try to spend as much time with them. It is easier for me, otherwise traveling back and forth to the US takes a lot of time so I now try to go once a month to see them and during that time I also have a look at the US business.

Apart from business, you have political interests as well. Do you think it is wise to mix business and politics?

I really wish for the sake of India that many more youngsters, many more people from business would get into politics, that.s when you will really start seeing big changes in this country. The trouble with career politicians is that

most tend to be corrupt because their only means of livelihood is politics. Somebody like me needs nothing, I have my business and everything so I will not take anything out of politics or take advantage of being in parliament.

Source:CLSA

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Replies:
Posted By: s_praharaj
Date Posted: 29/Oct/2006 at 8:56pm
 Thanks Basant,
 The interview with Mr Mallya is quite interesting.
When I was young, like others I was thinking that whatever Mr Vittal
Mallya made during his life time, will be whistled away by Mr Vijay Mallya v in no time. When he acquired Best & Crompton after selling some of his properties, I again thought that the time has come.

But everybody proved wrong. Vijay Mallya proved to be more successful than his illustrious father. Recenetly I visited Goa and could see the Kingfisher Villa of Vijay Mallya near Fort Aguada in Goa. The grandeur is seen to be beleived.

I also read an article about Kingfisher Airlines and its plans in the last edition of Business India. It has shown how KingFisher Airlines which started as a budget airline is now re-positioning itself with  a lavish Business Class also. The food they are serving to business class passengers, are class apart, and the food itself is attracting a lot of passengers in the business class.

Worldover, there are a few airlines, which has rewarded highly to its shareholders. Let us see to what height Mr Mallya takes KingFisher Airlines.

-------------
Shashi Praharaj

Posted By: investor
Date Posted: 29/Oct/2006 at 11:34am
Great interview. Thanks a lot for posting this Basant, gives an insight into
his way of thinking.
BTW, how do you manage to get hold of all this(you had even posted one interview with Raghav Behl) You mention source as CLSA, but how do you get it from them? Anyways, please do continue posting such interviews of
the corporate leaders, its very interesting to read them and understand their
views.

He mentions that his eldest son is in England, but Siddarth Mallya is actually
in India for last 8 months, learning the ropes of UB, working as a trainee.
So i'm wondering if this interview is an old one?

The reason i'm asking is because in the last few days, CLSA has been gobbling up UB group shares though open market and bulk deals - just on
Friday alone they bought huge shares of Mcdowell, UB and UB holdings -
all through bulk deals. So i'm wondering if they know something that
we dont!

I also read the story on Kingfisher airlines in the BusinessLine magazine,
and it gives me the impression that he really knows what he is doing.
Time will tell...

Date Posted: 30/Oct/2006 at 3:19pm
This interview was taken before February 2006. Yes they are all from CLSA.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: tigershark
Date Posted: 31/Oct/2006 at 7:47am
this is not vijay mallyas best interview the best interview is the mcdowlls sept qrt results which are simply amazing.he has been so serious about restructuring his liquor business and the pains he took to do it is now paying off sales are 1440crs net is 67crs like somebody said on this website maybe united sprits is another itc in the making well it may just be no wonder clsa was buying the whole of last week.

-------------
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things

Date Posted: 31/Oct/2006 at 9:04am
hi tigershark,

yes i agree. First he turned around UNITED BREWERIES, and now he is doing
the same the MCDOWELL(UNITED SPIRITS). Lets hope he continues in the same mode in future.

Posted By: India_Bull
Date Posted: 01/Nov/2006 at 9:36pm
I think Vijay Mallya has woken up now and started doing things rapidly in last two years which he couldnt do in last so many years..

-------------
India_Bull forever Bull !
www.kapilcomedynights.com

Posted By: India_Bull
Date Posted: 01/Nov/2006 at 9:38pm

But I guess, he is going to sell off his liquor business once it reaches to global scale..
Lets hope he also turns around Kingfisher airlines faster and make investors in UB holding happy..

-------------
India_Bull forever Bull !
www.kapilcomedynights.com

Date Posted: 01/Nov/2006 at 11:09am
yes. i am also hoping for the same
And regarding his liqour business, i dont think he will sell it off completeley,
but he will definitely go in for a strategic stake sale to someone, like he did
with United Breweries when he sold 37.5% stake to Scottish and Newcastle
last year.

Posted By: cena2020
Date Posted: 30/Jul/2010 at 7:27pm

vijay mallya is a great man their are various other business men in India but no one had come forward to bring the sword of tipu sultan and now the belongings of mahatma Gandhi but mallya has did a tremendous job i simply say he is a great man.

http://www.smartlipotopdocs.com/ - Smart Lipo
http://www.100pureessentialoils.com/ - Essential Oils

Posted By: subu76
Date Posted: 29/Sep/2011 at 2:32am
Kingfisher exits low cost airlines business. The comments are really funny .Smile

http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=540 - http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=540

Posted By: Kabootar
Date Posted: 29/Sep/2011 at 3:30am
He could not have done anything else...his company's capital was getting completely eroded.

-------------
Verbal diarrhoea! A most deadly disease.

Posted By: angelm06
Date Posted: 06/Oct/2011 at 1:32pm
hi,

great interview.
just wanted to know if Dr Vijay Mallya have any role model or mentor.

Posted By: chriskb
Date Posted: 06/Oct/2011 at 9:22am
Mallya like Ambanis thrive only in a corrupt culture where industries are highly regulated (liquor, oil, etc) who have mastered 'mangaing the environment' (euphemism for bribing politicians & bureacrats). Their time may be up.

Posted By: vinvestor2010
Date Posted: 07/Oct/2011 at 9:02pm
Hi, there were some indicators that Doctor Saheb's good times party was going to end fast...

Direct Indicators
-Not heeding Buffett's advice that the fastest way to be a millionaire is to start as a billionaire and buy an airline
-In addition, anyone reading the balance sheet of Kingfisher for last 2-3 years would have known this
-Also, Doctor Saheb was also elected to Royal House and NPA norms were co-incidentally relaxed for airline industry by Reverse Bank of India

Indirect indicators
-Regular appearance on advertorial super page Bombay Times Page 3 (always an indicator to sell / short stocks) Big%20smile
-madam Deepikaji was seen at Ranbir's birthday party , the corollary is that she was not seen with chotu baba Sidji , and some people always know where the party is likely to continue longer Big%20smile

Date Posted: 07/Oct/2011 at 9:21pm

-------------

Date Posted: 07/Oct/2011 at 7:45am
vinvestor,

Great points.

The quote "....fastest way to be a millionaire is to start as a billionaire and buy an airline" was originally from Richard Branson (founder of Virgin group that includes Virgin airlines).

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 07/Oct/2011 at 7:54am
Originally posted by angelm06

just wanted to know if Dr Vijay Mallya have any role model or mentor.

No idea of role model, but he surely surrounds himself with models.

Date Posted: 07/Oct/2011 at 8:28am
Calendar models to be precise.

BTW Calendar power is exactly what will allow him to get out of tough situations. Woudn't PSU bankers and their lords in the ministry agree to make exceptions in exchange of some calendars?

Date Posted: 11/Oct/2011 at 11:10pm
Sir, what is surprising is how easy it is to analyze a company's future by looking at top management.
If I am correct in companies Mr Buffett controls there are only 3 things he does
- Selecting the top person
- Choosing the compensation model for the top person
- Approving any capital expenditures by top person over a certain limit

Beyond this he usually does not interfere in the day to day operations of the business.

By applying a similar approach we can find top managements that are likely to face problems....
 at least the following indicators are worth considering

-Top managers are in the news for reasons other than work e.g Bombay times parties
-The top manager is emphasized more than his team i.e. e.g. business cover articles in magazines where instead of the team manager is the focus
-The company and manager always announces new ventures in unrelated areas usually because they are hot
-The managers lifestyle details show the high living and simple thinking indicators including virtual castles like IPL team, Bollywood movies etc.
-Compensation of the manager does not rise and fall with the company's bottom line
-The success of the company is due to management but failure of company is due to global and macro factors as indicated by annual report language
-The report shows too many subsidiaries, related party txns and unnecessary complexity
-The company's basic business depends heavily on government interaction

Some people who exemplify this so far in India are
-Anil Ambani
-Vijay Mallya
-Raymond Singhania, Yash Birla etc..

maybe the approach is simplistic, but usually it works even globally people like Donald Trump (bankrupt thrice) and Richard Branson have not done very well for their share holders.

Someone like Mr Buffett has high media visibility but he does not have operational control over his firms, does not spend money on trophies etc.. so he may be an exception.

Date Posted: 11/Oct/2011 at 11:11pm
If a company promoter is into real modelling and not financial modelling it may be a sell sign Wink

Date Posted: 11/Nov/2011 at 3:04pm
Vijay Mallya is toast? Read Veritas report -

UB Holdings Limited (“UB” or the “Company”), the parent of Kingfisher Airlines Limited (“KAIR” or “Kingfisher”), is teetering on the verge of bankruptcy, and incidentally, so is KAIR. However, a stock price of approximately Rs. 25 (<US$1) for KAIR and Rs. 114 (<US$3) for UB would suggest otherwise. We believe
investors should SELL both stocks to salvage whatever is left.
We believe that KAIR’s book equity has been wiped out although audited financials pretend otherwise. The airline is burning cash at a rapid rate, we estimate Rs. 3,011 Million (US$ 65M) in Q1F12, is in a business that requires capital perpetually, has no pricing power given six carriers fighting over the major hubs in India, is dependent on the vagaries of the price of oil and the largesse of state-run financial institutions in India, and its parent UB has run out of financial room to accommodate the needs of this capital-starved child.
Moreover, in spite of the so-called debt recast, we believe that once the non cancelable operating and financing lease commitments of KAIR are included, KAIR’s enterprise value is less than its contractually required cash obligations, implying negative residual equity value for KAIR, as illustrated.

Posted By: tyasha
Date Posted: 11/Nov/2011 at 3:29pm

"Centre may ask banks to bail out Kingfisher": News Item

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/kingfisher-airlines-vayalar-ravi-vijay-mallya-banks/1/159536.html - http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/kingfisher-airlines-vayalar-ravi-vijay-mallya-banks/1/159536.html

This is bad news  for banks. While ICICI bank is obviously involved, wonder whether this has reference to PSU banks, (e.g SBI etc) being dragged into the mess... and then the RBI asks banks to work on their NPAsSmile

-------------
Oh if only I had a time machine!

Date Posted: 11/Nov/2011 at 6:18pm
Damn!! So the company will not be allowed to go under.

It's surprising to see the Aviation minister batting for King of good times. If Kair goes time it will allow Indian Airlines to breath easily

Date Posted: 11/Nov/2011 at 6:30pm
WHy shouldn't the PSU Banks fall a lot more on this news? It seems that the minister thinks these Banks are his Fiefdom

-------------

Posted By: S.Varghese
Date Posted: 11/Nov/2011 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by subu76

It's surprising to see the Aviation minister batting for King of good times. If Kair goes time it will allow Indian Airlines to breath easily
I am against all bailouts whatsoever. Now if I think rationally how is KF different from AI/IA? Just that AI/IA is government owned, but what do we citizens have to do with it? It has not contributed anything to the nation for the last many years. They have only benefitted ministers, babus and others connectewd with the government and we taxpayers have kept it afloat for so long.

If the government wants to bail out IA/AI, then they should do the same for KF also. Maybe the government can appoint some members to the board as they did for Satyam or the government should take a equity and sell it off when it makes a profit. I am very sure that a private airline company will be more beneficial to India than AI/IA. At least KF did not pay its employees from our tax money till now, but AI/IA has been doing that for so long.

I am all for KF and AI/IA to go under - immediately. But just because AI/IA has a government tag, do not bail them out. After all government airlines does not mean national airlines.

Let all non-performing companies (PSU banks, RE companies, airline companies, other PSEs) go under - the sooner the better.

-------------
Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 11/Nov/2011 at 7:08pm

How to become a millionaire?

get a billion dollars

and......

.... start an airline!

Date Posted: 11/Nov/2011 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by basant

WHy shouldn't the PSU Banks fall a lot more on this news? It seems that the minister thinks these Banks are his Fiefdom

Ooh absolutely....It's a great time to short SBI..rising NPAs and inability to raise cash

Date Posted: 11/Nov/2011 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by S.Varghese

I am against all bailouts whatsoever. Now if I think rationally how is KF different from AI/IA? Just that AI/IA is government owned, but what do we citizens have to do with it? It has not contributed anything to the nation for the last many years. They have only benefitted ministers, babus and others connectewd with the government and we taxpayers have kept it afloat for so long.

If the government wants to bail out IA/AI, then they should do the same for KF also. Maybe the government can appoint some members to the board as they did for Satyam or the government should take a equity and sell it off when it makes a profit. I am very sure that a private airline company will be more beneficial to India than AI/IA. At least KF did not pay its employees from our tax money till now, but AI/IA has been doing that for so long.

I am all for KF and AI/IA to go under - immediately. But just because AI/IA has a government tag, do not bail them out. After all government airlines does not mean national airlines.

Let all non-performing companies (PSU banks, RE companies, airline companies, other PSEs) go under - the sooner the better.

He he...Good point...

In USA airline industry as a whole lost 56 billion over the last decade....
So this industry as a whole is only timing play I guess

Date Posted: 11/Nov/2011 at 11:13am

[QUOTE=subu76] Damn!! So the company will not be allowed to go under.

If the government wants to bail out IA/AI, then they should do the same for KF also.

He he...Good point...

In USA airline industry as a whole lost 56 billion over the last decade....
So this industry as a whole is only timing play I guess

Financial institutions and banks who have  lent money to the ailing KFA over the last five years. include SBI, ICICI Bank, IDBI Bank, Bank of India, UCO Bank & Punjab National Bank

Last year, a consortium of 13 lenders, led by SBI and ICICI Bank, acquired 23.21 per cent stake in KFA, under a debt restructuring plan (conversion of Rs. 1,400 crore debt into equity) at a premium.

Watch out for these banks on Monday...

Read more at: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/kingfisher-airlines-vijay-mallya-debt/1/159649.html - http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/kingfisher-airlines-vijay-mallya-debt/1/159649.html

In fact , if new reports are to be believed Mr Mallaya has asked for a bailout package identical to IA/AI, if approved this sends out a dangerous signal. One may recall the Lehmann brothers bailout and the subsequent US govt realisation of the impacts for other banks in similar conditions.....
so much for the "honest  aam admi taxpayer"Angry

-------------

Date Posted: 11/Nov/2011 at 11:43am
So now the Indian government is in the business of bailing out speculative venture of private players like Mr. Mallaya.

At this rate he will ask the Indian govt to fund his F1 team as well. Smile
We all know how these favours are being obtained...Offcourse, it's all in the name of aaam junta

Anyway, there is good news in the horizon....The Unions of various PSU banks have protested against any bailout of KFA.

I've always hated PSU bank empoyees ever since an SBI bank employee refused to allow me to open an account (though I offered to put in a deposit) out of sheer laziness.  Agreed things have changed since then.

Anyone, For once i like PSU bank employees and their unions........

Date Posted: 11/Nov/2011 at 11:45am
Originally posted by tyasha

Watch out for these banks on Monday...

No need to wait till Monday.....I haven't checked but Hindu Business line mentioned that the stocks of a few banks fell

Date Posted: 11/Nov/2011 at 11:49am
The profitable companies in these group are run with poor corp governance and as personal fiefdoms...

However, it seems the loss making ones have to be bailed out by us since they're doing vital public service.

Date Posted: 12/Nov/2011 at 2:16pm
The Other side view:

Tweet of the day

Is it Kingfisher's duty 2 fly on loss making routes when State Governments tax heavily? Or should v be financially prudent n fly profitably?

-Vijay Mallya on Tweeter

My view: Agree with you, sir, stop it totallyBig%20smile

-------------

Posted By: BIKRAM
Date Posted: 12/Nov/2011 at 2:24pm
The King of good times should give Kingfisher Calendars to all the share holders and to all the banks instead of annual reports....3 Cheers to Mr. Mallaya for looting the public and 3 cheers to Siddharth Mallaya who like a true son is enjoying and spending lavishly on Deepika..No wonder he is taking her to a 21 day holiday to Paris.

Posted By: Ravenrage
Date Posted: 12/Nov/2011 at 2:30pm
Its no more cheers , its all tears now .

-------------
Risk does not reside in price changes, but in miscalculations of intrinsic value .

Date Posted: 12/Nov/2011 at 2:57pm
What the company needs is a change of management

Date Posted: 12/Nov/2011 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by tyasha

Is
it Kingfisher's duty 2 fly on loss making routes when State Governments tax
heavily? Or should v be financially prudent n fly profitably?</span>

What? He needs advice on this?

-------------

Posted By: bihisello
Date Posted: 12/Nov/2011 at 8:43pm

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/We-need-to-find-ways-to-get-Kingfisher-out-of-trouble-PM/articleshow/10706788.cms - We need to find ways to get Kingfisher out of trouble: PM

Date Posted: 12/Nov/2011 at 9:01pm
We need to find ways to get Mr.Manmohan Singh out! WHy can't an economist understand the basic rules of capitalism. Contrary to belief Manmohan Singh behaves like a Socialite.

Originally posted by bihisello

<h1> http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/We-need-to-find-ways-to-get-Kingfisher-out-of-trouble-PM/articleshow/10706788.cms - We need to find ways to get Kingfisher out of trouble: PM </h1>

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Nov/2011 at 9:05pm

So now the Indian government is in the business of bailing out speculative venture of private players like Mr. Mallaya.

At this rate he will ask the Indian govt to fund his F1 team as well. Smile
We all know how these favours are being obtained...Offcourse, it's all in the name of aaam junta

Anyway, there is good news in the horizon....The Unions of various PSU banks have protested against any bailout of KFA.

I've always hated PSU bank empoyees ever since an SBI bank employee refused to allow me to open an account (though I offered to put in a deposit) out of sheer laziness.  Agreed things have changed since then.

Anyone, For once i like PSU bank employees and their unions........

Nobody should be bailed out. if they cannot do business, let them go under. Why is the big difference between Mallya's gamble and Mr. Vayalar Ravi's (previously Mr. Patel) speculative investments.

We all know AI/IA does not give a hoot about the citizens whether it is government owned or not.

I appreciate the unions now, but I want them to do the same when RE companies are bailed out with restructured loans again and again.

I am against the government involved in any business. We feel good that it is a national enterprise, but remember it does not serve the nation - they serve the government hacks - and we all know that the interests of the government and the nation are not aligned.

So let AI/IA go under, let KF go under so with any loss making private and public companies and banks.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Nov/2011 at 9:08pm

We need to find ways to get Mr.Manmohan Singh out! WHy can't an economist understand the basic rules of capitalism. Contrary to belief Manmohan Singh behaves like a Socialite.

<h1> http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/We-need-to-find-ways-to-get-Kingfisher-out-of-trouble-PM/articleshow/10706788.cms - We need to find ways to get Kingfisher out of trouble: PM </h1>

The PM believes in "Privatize profits and Socialize losses".

-------------

Posted By: manishdave
Date Posted: 12/Nov/2011 at 9:23pm
[QUOTE=basant]We need to find ways to get Mr.Manmohan Singh out! WHy can't an economist understand the basic rules of capitalism. Contrary to belief Manmohan Singh behaves like a Socialite.

He is an over rated economist and an under rated politician. The way he plays Chidu and Pranab is unbelievable.

Last time he left the office, economy was in mess. No different this time.

Posted By: Monkey
Date Posted: 12/Nov/2011 at 9:24pm

He is socialist for sure. Through out his career, he has toed the line of center which was quite draconian in 70s & 80s. By observing him, I increasingly believe that it is wrong to give him credit for economic reforms of early 90s. I think, it was Narsimha Rao who was initiator of reforms and MMS, true to style of a seasoned babu, just followed what was asked of him by PVNR.

Date Posted: 12/Nov/2011 at 9:39pm
[/QUOTE]

He is socialist for sure. Through out his career, he has toed the line of center which was quite draconian in 70s & 80s. By observing him, I increasingly believe that it is wrong to give him credit for economic reforms of early 90s. I think, it was Narsimha Rao who was initiator of reforms and MMS, true to style of a seasoned babu, just followed what was asked of him by PVNR.

[/QUOTE]

Original blue print of reforms was prepared buy S Swami and it was courage of Narsimha Rao. MMS genius is media created hype. Very few understood that before, but now he can not fool all the people all the time. Even as a person he is very cunning. Look what he did to Pranav on Chidu matter. Look at his body language and his smile!! Why does he send Montek Ahluwalia - another jerk- to defend him on 2G?

Posted By: LearningToFly
Date Posted: 12/Nov/2011 at 1:41am
You are right Basant Jee. Manmohan Singh is a good politician and bad economist. Big%20smile

-------------
Success... at all cost.

Posted By: gautam20
Date Posted: 12/Nov/2011 at 5:02am
Received the following message this morning.

Dear Guest,
FLIGHT IT214 BLR LKO IS CANCELLED ON 13NOV. FOR REAL TIME FLIGHT STATUS UPDATES AND SCHEDULE TIMINGS, LOG ON TO WWW.FLYKINGFISHER.COM
Regards,
Kingfisher Airlines
Fly the good times

Posted By: manishwithted
Date Posted: 12/Nov/2011 at 5:54am
I and my brother also have got bookings fm KFA for my holiday trip.Unhappy

-------------
Long term thinking improves short term decision making - Brian Tracy

Date Posted: 12/Nov/2011 at 6:05am
Airlines getting govt support is not a new thing. thats why it is heavily fragemented, domestic coompanies get lot of protection (fm competetion) from the govts.
it would be better if the competetion prevails and let the bad ones die.

-------------

Posted By: Circuit
Date Posted: 13/Nov/2011 at 10:26pm
I disagree.  Manmohan Singh is a bad politician and bad economist. !!

Originally posted by LearningToFly

You are right Basant Jee. Manmohan Singh is a good politician and bad economist. Big%20smile

-------------
Fundamentalists and anticipators may have difficulties with risk control because a trade keeps looking ‘better’ the more it goes against them....Ed Seykota

Date Posted: 13/Nov/2011 at 5:50am
In a country where thousands of farmers commit suicide due to their inability to pay off loans, should we be bailing out shameless Mallya?

Date Posted: 14/Nov/2011 at 5:18pm
This is really cool..

US carriers oppose Exim bank loan to Air India to buy Boeings. http://www.indianexpress.com/news/us-cos-slam-american-aid-to-air-india/875681/ - Link

US carriers aptly call Air India "one of the most poorly-run airlines in the world"

This could have prevented the loot of public money. Unfortunately, the loot will continue since Exim Bank rightly clarified the loan is supported by soverign guarantee.  Damn!!!

Date Posted: 14/Nov/2011 at 6:14pm

This is really cool..

US carriers oppose Exim bank loan to Air India to buy Boeings. http://www.indianexpress.com/news/us-cos-slam-american-aid-to-air-india/875681/ - Link

US carriers aptly call Air India "one of the most poorly-run airlines in the world"

This could have prevented the loot of public money. Unfortunately, the loot will continue since Exim Bank rightly clarified the loan is supported by soverign guarantee.  Damn!!!
Damn Air India. I pay taxes, the government gives it to AI, and the pilots are paid twice or thrice my salary. My employee gets twice my salary and he gives me Zilch in return - except for strikes and bad servcice. I gave them a piece of my mind when my flight was canceled and I was not given an alternative.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/Nov/2011 at 8:05pm

UB group hugely leveraged; Kingfisher is only one of the problems

http://suchetadalal.com/?id=93386615-5e3b-e5e2-4ebd2ccafda2&base=sections&f

Posted By: Ravenrage
Date Posted: 14/Nov/2011 at 8:26pm

<h1>UB group hugely leveraged; Kingfisher is only one of the problems </h1>

http://suchetadalal.com/?id=93386615-5e3b-e5e2-4ebd2ccafda2&base=sections&f

One of the primary reasons why I didn't touch United Spirits .

-------------
Risk does not reside in price changes, but in miscalculations of intrinsic value .

Posted By: studentoflife
Date Posted: 14/Nov/2011 at 11:00pm
I hope they dont bail out Kingfisher.....Let Mallya face the consequences of his own decisions.

-------------
First step towards learning is the realization that you do not know anything.

Date Posted: 14/Nov/2011 at 12:13pm
Big%20smileSir we must give credit where it is due, the real hero is Captain Gopinath who is having amazing sense of timing and communication skills.
Air Dhakkan was making losses of hundreds of crore and he sold it to Mallya for better synergy Big%20smile
Deccan 360 cargo had losses of 120 cr in a few months so that even Mukesh Ambani told http://business.in.com/article/boardroom/deccan-360-faces-turbulence/25202/1 - him to shut it down ..
He can fool some of the people all the time Big%20smile
Mallya must be wishing that Captain Gopi had stuck to coconut farming
The ideal solution to this problem.... we should allow FDI into aviation sector (naya bakra lagega na)
Who will advise foreign airlines and investors ...who else ... Captain Gopi... he will probably be asked to list Air India on NYSE and who else can fool mallya and mukeshji inside of 2 years Big%20smile
FUN FACT: The debt of Air India is 6 times that of Kingfisher airlines :-)
FUNNIER FACT: The Air India pilots almost went on strike recently to protest for better wages Big%20smile
also next years Kingfisher Calendar is going to have Subba Wow of Reverse Bank, Pranab Mukherjee, Chairmen of SBI, IOC, BPCL, HPCL , ICICI in the first 7 months, the balance 5 months photos are booked for foreign models oops potential foreign private equity partners. The calendar theme is going to be rejuvination and rebirth and having positive attitude

Date Posted: 14/Nov/2011 at 6:28am
Can't stop laughing.

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Nov/2011 at 8:06pm
On a lighter note....

When they talked of Deepika and Yuvraj, Yuvraj lost his batting form....
When Deepaka and Ranbir were a pair, Ranbir's films started flopping...
When Deepika and Siddharth Mallya became a pair ,Kingfisher got grounded....

Now, could it just be that deepika has taken positions on the Nifty

(P.S.:My apologies in advance if the post is too trivial for this thread , just felt like posting it!)

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Nov/2011 at 8:17pm
That makes Dhoni Warren Buffett since he avoided the bouncer early. Perhaps he shorted Nifty as well.Smile

Date Posted: 20/Nov/2011 at 8:14am
http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/govt-nudges-lic-to-buy-10-stake-in-kingfisher/456158/

Posted By: FutureBull
Date Posted: 20/Nov/2011 at 8:25am
I just loved the new IndiGo ad coming on TV.. quite energetic and unique

-------------
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.

Date Posted: 20/Nov/2011 at 8:30am

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/govt-nudges-lic-to-buy-10-stake-in-kingfisher/456158/

How can anyone steal the nation like this? Anyone holding a LIC policy should file a writ petition in Supreme court against this.

-------------

Date Posted: 20/Nov/2011 at 8:44am
Mallya should sell or give away KFA completely or sell villas. Why LIC is entering in this picture? Couple of such blunders and people will start losing  trust in LIC. I am more worried about 120Cr investment by LIC.

Second thing is Mallya is not receiving any offers from private sector. That means it is not worth it. God bless India. We really need blessing from this jokers and looters.

Date Posted: 20/Nov/2011 at 8:50am

With this sort of government directed investment approach it's clear the agency will have bailed out by taxpayers when newer customer pyramids can't be added.

We all know how these bailouts are arranged.

Date Posted: 20/Nov/2011 at 10:39am
A few days back Mr. Mohandas Pai wrote an article in favour of Govt bailout for KFA. His prime argument being around irrational government regulations and support for Air India.

I'd say two wrongs don't make a right and why shouldn't money be extended to all private players. More importantly, as we enter a situation of monetary tightening around the world once a precedence is set we'll soon have the spectacle of govt being asked to bail out real estate players, power companies  etc

Aam junta money can't be used for the benefit of industrialists

Date Posted: 20/Nov/2011 at 10:58am
Anything blunder that can be done, will be done by Govt. led by MMS. RBI say sell $$ we won't intervene. Fine you don't intervene, but why do you need to say that? Do they understand mkts.? If they are so much for free mkt. why bailout KFA. Let them go under. Why bail out BSNL, Air India HMT?

Date Posted: 20/Nov/2011 at 11:09am
Actually it's not a bailout...it's money transfer....
{tax payers => PSU and private players=> vendors => Swiss Banks}  Cycle repeated

Date Posted: 21/Nov/2011 at 1:09pm
there was some news that Vijay Mallya was in lucknow yesterday to meet Subroto Roy in Sahara city 

-------------

Date Posted: 21/Nov/2011 at 3:39pm
Sir,
one of the arguments that Mr Mallya is likely to use is that since his airline paid irrationally high indirect taxes through fuel taxation he is entitled to a tax payer bailout Wink
the second more important point is that if the government bails him out it will create a moral hazard as there are plenty of power sector, real estate firms standing in line, so it would not be advisable for the government to do that.Confused

Posted By: akshatsethi
Date Posted: 21/Aug/2012 at 11:31am
No one in India is like Vijay Mallya no even Ambani's

Date Posted: 22/Aug/2012 at 12:03pm

A few days back Mr. Mohandas Pai wrote an article in favour of Govt bailout for KFA. His prime argument being around irrational government regulations and support for Air India.

I'd say two wrongs don't make a right and why shouldn't money be extended to all private players. More importantly, as we enter a situation of monetary tightening around the world once a precedence is set we'll soon have the spectacle of govt being asked to bail out real estate players, power companies  etc

Aam junta money can't be used for the benefit of industrialists

Completely agree. Let AI go under along with BSNL, MTNL etc etc. As for KFA and other sick airlines I have an advice.

Do not get into any business where the involvement of government is significant. Also do not get into a business which is prceived as catering to the rich. The governement can raise taxes and the political demagogues will still bay for their blood. Then do not get into a business where there is direct competition from the government. So only a few businesses remain and those businesses which thrive among these few are the real gems.

Think of it - will you buy a toothpaste manufactured by Pratibha industries or GMR? Will you buy gold jewellery from IVRCL retail?

So these so called industrialists can only survie with government patronage and when the businesses fail they cry foul and ask the government to bail them out. 

-------------

Posted By: rajnsharma
Date Posted: 22/Aug/2012 at 12:21pm

So these so called industrialists can only survie with government patronage and when the businesses fail they cry foul and ask the government to bail them out. 
There is always an unsigned agreement with Netas and Babu where these businessmen will be bailed out citing nationalistic reason.

The huge donations coming to the political class gurantees this.

-------------
Wall Street makes money by it's activity, while you can make money by your in-activity - Warren Buffett

Date Posted: 22/Aug/2012 at 12:53pm
Mohandas Pai does not have much work these days and want to seen on television channels.
He talks smart and then inserts something like this - to bailout unscrupulous businessmen like Mallya.
We need to be careful with characters like these who have the potential to cause long term damage in all aspects of our lives.

Date Posted: 22/Aug/2012 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by rajnsharma

There is always an unsigned agreement with Netas and Babu where these businessmen will be bailed out citing nationalistic reason.

The huge donations coming to the political class gurantees this.

I do not think KFA will be bailed out. But my problem is with bailing out AI. KFA may be given 5000 crores, but the money that will be thrown after AI will be in tens of thousands of crores. We have already lost so much and now the AI management has come with hat in hand.

When the monopoly AI was doing good, the pilots and union workers made loads of money. Now that they have  run it to the ground, they want the taxpayers to bail them out.

Next in line will be MTNL, BSNL, IOC, HPCL, BPCL, ONGC, BHEL, OIL, etc etc. Now ONGC and BHEL may look like long shot candidates, but with the government we have and the unions these companies have and the Ambanis and Mallyas and Sterlites waiting like vultures, I am sure one day all these will be sold off at scrap prices.

-------------

Date Posted: 22/Aug/2012 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by chriskb

Mohandas Pai does not have much work these days and want to seen on television channels.
He talks smart and then inserts something like this - to bailout unscrupulous businessmen like Mallya.
We need to be careful with characters like these who have the potential to cause long term damage in all aspects of our lives.

As far as I see MD Pai is not a bad person, just that he is a friend of Mallya and trying to help a dear friend just like Raja did.

-------------

Posted By: Shiv R
Date Posted: 22/Aug/2012 at 3:28pm
Kingfisher shares up more than 3% in trade, http://in.reuters.com/finance/stocks/overview?symbol=KING.NS - Kingfisher is the top traded stock on NSE with volumes of over 25 mln shares!

Good day for traders like me!Clap

Date Posted: 31/Aug/2012 at 1:14pm
http://in.reuters.com/finance/stocks/overview?symbol=KING.NS%20 - Kingfisher shares moving up sharply... Time to make some profits!

Date Posted: 10/Jan/2013 at 2:51pm

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/01/10/india-kingfisher-vijay-mallya-idINDEE90906020130110 - Mallya outlines revival plan for Kingfisher, shares surge

Posted By: valueman
Date Posted: 24/Sep/2013 at 12:10pm
Kingfisher Airlines in talks with an investor, says Vijay Mallya
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/transportation/airlines-/-aviation/kingfisher-airlines-in-talks-with-an-investor-says-vijay-mallya/articleshow/22993190.cms -
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/transportation/airlines-/-aviation/kingfisher-airlines-in-talks-with-an-investor-says-vijay-mallya/articleshow/22993190.cms

Just one more Joke  from Mr Mallya. Why any investor will buy a company with a loan liability of over 8000 cr ?

-------------

To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize ; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks .
Benjamin Graham.

Posted By: FutureBull
Date Posted: 24/Sep/2013 at 9:30am
He needs to say something to save his face on a day he has to come out in open.

Originally posted by valueman

Kingfisher Airlines in talks with an investor, says Vijay Mallya http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/transportation/airlines-/-aviation/kingfisher-airlines-in-talks-with-an-investor-says-vijay-mallya/articleshow/22993190.cms - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/transportation/airlines-/-aviation/kingfisher-airlines-in-talks-with-an-investor-says-vijay-mallya/articleshow/22993190.cms Just one more Joke  from Mr Mallya. Why any investor will buy a company with a loan liability of over 8000 cr ?

-------------
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.

Print Page | Close Window