Print Page | Close Window

The top 10 highest-earning traders of 2005

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Market Strategies
Forum Name: Trading Psychology
Forum Discription: Discuss the psychological aspects of trading such as fear, greed and discipline. Why stocks are bought like perfumes and not groceries.
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=505
Printed Date: 28/Apr/2024 at 1:18am

Topic: The top 10 highest-earning traders of 2005
Posted By: BubbleVision
Subject: The top 10 highest-earning traders of 2005
Date Posted: 17/Oct/2006 at 5:04pm

By: Rich Blake , A.D. Barber , Robert LaFranco
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-19392.html - Trader Monthly: April/May 2006, Page 69

Note that only 2 of the top 100 traders were trading with their own money.

Hedge Fund Traders
Rank Name

Firm City Estimated Income

1 T. Boone Pickens 77 BP Capital Dallas $1.5 billion +
2 Stevie Cohen 49 SAC Capital Advisors Stamford, Connecticut $1 billion +
3 James Simons 67 Renaissance Technologies Corp. East Setauket, New York $900 million – $1 billion
4 Paul Tudor Jones 51 Tudor Investment Corp. Greenwich, Connecticut $800 million – $900 million
5 Stephen Feinberg 46 Cerberus Capital Management New York $500 million – $600 million
  Bruce Kovner 61 Caxton Associates New York $500 million – $600 million
  Eddie Lampert 43 ESL Investments Greenwich, Connecticut $500 million – $600 million
8 David Shaw 55 D.E. Shaw & Co. New York $400 million – $500 million
9 Jeffrey Gendell 46 Tontine Partners Greenwich, Connecticut $300 million – $400 million
10 Louis Bacon 49 Moore Capital Management New York $300 million – $350 million
  Stephen Mandel 50 Lone Pine Capital Greenwich, Connecticut $300 million – $350 million

Wall Street Traders

Rank Name

Firm City Estimated Income

1 Mark McGoldrick 48 Goldman Sachs New York $40 million – $50 million
2 Raanen Agus 38 Goldman Sachs New York $30 million – $40 million
  Ken Karl 47 UBS New York $30 million – $40 million
  Boaz Weinstein 32 Deutsche Bank New York $30 million – $40 million
5 Simon Greenshields 49 Morgan Stanley Purchase, New York $20 million – $25 million
  Jonathan Hoffman 33 Lehman Brothers Miami $20 million – $25 million
  Michael Hutchins 50 UBS New York $20 million – $25 million
  Rajeev Misra 44 Deutsche Bank London $20 million – $25 million
  Arvind Raghunathan 42 Deutsche Bank New York $20 million – $25 million
  Olav Refvik 47 Morgan Stanley Purchase, New York $20 million – $25 million
  John Shairo 54 Morgan Stanley Purchase, New York $20 million – $25 million
  Ashok Varadhan 33 Goldman Sachs New York $20 million – $25 million
  Barry Witlin 48 Merrill Lynch New York $20 million – $25 million
  Jon Wood 43 UBS London $20 million – $25 million

< ="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" =text/>

< = =text/> var sc_project=281723; < = ="http://www.statcounter.com/counter/counter.js" =text/> http://www.statcounter.com/"> http://www.statcounter.com"> < ="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/> _uacct = "UA-345817-1"; urchinTracker(); -->

-------------
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!

Replies:
Posted By: basant
Date Posted: 17/Oct/2006 at 9:49pm
If I recall well Paul Tudor Jones made 60% in the month of October 1987 and had a track record of about 100% CAGR for 4-5 years at that time. Great place to know more about him is in Market Wizards. One of his quotes that echoes in my mind is

" My biggest hits have always come after I have had a great period and  I started to think that I knew something"

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 17/Oct/2006 at 9:55pm
BubbleVision

Very interesting list. Nice to see few young Indians up there.

I was a bit disappointed not to see http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=359 - Mungerilal's name. May be, he is at the bottom!!

-------------
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards

Date Posted: 17/Oct/2006 at 10:22pm
Kulmanji. WHat would you categorize Amarnth? Mungerilal or an expert? I say this with hindsight advantage though?

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Date Posted: 17/Oct/2006 at 11:59am
The best Rule in Trading ... play great defence and not great offence -- Paul Tudor Jones. 
He initially started as a cotton trader in Oklohama, US If i am not mistaken. He is really great.

Amaranth was not a mungerilal...IMO. This is because that they had taken a concentrated bet on the direction of a Spread trade (Not a directional call). They collapsed because of the Goldman Sachs, as they (GS) reduced the weightage of Narural Gas from 7.5% to 2.5% in the Goldman commodity index... This caused all the IndexFunds tracking that Index to cut natural gas and hence they the Natural Gas plunged. In the process the spread on the trade also collapsed.
They fell because they underestimated the Risk of such a trade

-------------
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!

Date Posted: 18/Oct/2006 at 12:12pm
Want to know more about Bonnie Pickens and Paul Tudor Jones?
Visit http://www.nymex.com/sym_webcast.aspx - Link  and view their webcasts....These are very informative....

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Oct/2006 at 1:20pm
That Amaranth info was an eye opener. It says that while trading the the probable event could take a trader by storm. Now who could have assumed that the index constituents would have been changed. So any event that has a likely probability of 0.1% is AT TIMES powerful enough to wipe out 50%.

It is just like somebody dieing because the fan in his rooom came crashing down on his neck.

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Oct/2006 at 1:29pm
Ya that is what happens when bad luck and bad opponents meet....

Did you watch that Video of Boonie and Jones... they are highly recommended. They are on that page. You have to see the names and look it.

I will post a link on that Amaranth info... i am finding it.

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Oct/2006 at 1:43pm

The Regig which cost http://www.page88.co.za/cr/gas_king_report.shtml - Amaranth its life....

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Oct/2006 at 3:35pm
Absolutely phenomenal link you have set up for us. But Goldman changed the structure in the press release of July 22, so did not the traders realise all this before or was there no time to act (react).

Also what is the probability of no insider trading from Goldman's funds(if they trade commodities). I mean did any one compare their fund portfolios before and after the announcement?

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Oct/2006 at 6:46pm
I dont know about any insider trading or something of that sort on Goldman...

Have you guys looked at http://www.trade2win.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-19392.html - This Link on the above posted message. This is where the heart of the above list is. Visit and check out.

-------------

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 21/Oct/2006 at 1:44pm
Is it a mere co-incidence that two of the recent busted funds: VEGA means the brightest Star in the constellation & AMARANTH means a flower-plant that never fades!

-------------
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards

Date Posted: 21/Oct/2006 at 2:00pm
Intresting Kulman.....

Do you guys know that Vega was run my a fund manager "Ravinder Mehra" who is of indian origin and was on the list of highest earners in 2004.  They got chopped in the US and Europe Bond Markets, where they took a directional bet on Interest rates......

-------------

Date Posted: 01/Mar/2007 at 4:28pm
via dealbreaker.com earlier yesterday 

“Not sure if this is on your radar, but a Goldman trader took a $1B (yes, that is $1 Billion) position in a sub-prime mortgage index last week. He was fired today (27 Feb) after the position suffered a roughly 35% decline. I can’t verify if it was closed out yet, but the loss thus far stands at about $350M. Talk about a bad week.”

-------------

Date Posted: 07/Mar/2007 at 9:12pm
Humans dont change...Do they

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=au.sU22ltKY4&refer=home - Leeson, Who Ruined Barings, May Return to Trading

By Dara Doyle and James Ludden

March 7 (Bloomberg) -- Nick Leeson, the rogue trader whose wrong-way bets on Japanese stocks ruined Britain's oldest merchant bank, said he may go back to trading full-time with only his own money at stake.

Leeson said he trades ``when I get the time'' and has been buying and selling currencies for the past few months. He is considering ``watching screens'' for a living when he decides to leave his current job as commercial director of Irish soccer team Galway United FC.

``You wouldn't believe how many people have asked me to manage their money,'' Leeson, 40, said in an interview in Galway, on Ireland's west coast on March 2. ``If I make a decision and lose money, fair enough. If I make a decision for somebody else, then I would feel obligated to make it up to them.''

The Englishman amassed losses of $1.4 billion as Barings Plc's former head trader in Singapore in 1995. The London-based bank collapsed and its assets were eventually sold to ING Groep NV of the Netherlands for 1 pound ($1.95). Barings, whose clients included Queen Elizabeth II, had financed Britain's campaign against Napoleon Bonaparte between 1804 and 1815 and helped fund Thomas Jefferson's Louisiana Purchase of 1803.

From 1992 to 1995, Leeson conducted illegal trades and hid losses on clients' accounts. He lost 3.6 million pounds by October 1992, a total that jumped to 164 million pounds by the end of 1994, according to a U.K. High Court case in 2003 into whether Barings' auditors were negligent.

Lessons Learned

Leeson, who grew up in the London suburb of Watford, says he'd now never risk more than he could afford to lose, and closes out his position every day. Under U.K. regulations, Leeson is free to trade on his own account. He'd have to seek registration to join a bank, which he said he wouldn't ``dream'' of doing.

``Years ago I was extremely ill-disciplined,'' said Leeson, whose primary source of income is now making after-dinner and conference speeches for as much as 10,000 pounds a time. "My experience over that period and since would be to make sure that I get myself correctly disciplined.''

His losses -- linked mainly to Japanese stock-index futures - - soared in January 1995 when the Kobe earthquake sent the market into a tailspin. During the next month, Barings wired millions of dollars to help Leeson pay margin calls on his positions. He ran out of money and fled Singapore.

`One of the Lads'

He surrendered to authorities in Germany and spent 3 1/2 years in a Singapore jail for fraud where he was diagnosed with colon cancer. The sentence, originally 6 1/2 years, was shortened for good behavior. His book, called ``Rogue Trader'' (Little, Brown, 256 pages, $25.33), was later made into a movie starring Ewan McGregor in the title role.

He moved to Galway to live with his second wife, Leona, four years ago after completing a degree in psychology in London and enjoying a ``fairly hedonistic'' first year of freedom in 1999, according to his Web site, http://www.nickleeson.com/ - http://www.nickleeson.com . He joined Galway United in 2005. Leeson's first wife, Lisa, left him while he was in jail after he admitted to dalliances with geisha girls during their marriage.

``It was a bolt out of the blue when we first heard he was coming here,'' said Noel Connolly, a groundskeeper at the club's Terryland Park stadium. ``Now he's just one of the lads, no airs and graces about him at all. What happened to him happened. It was all just numbers on a computer.''

Currency Bets

For the past four or five months, Leeson says he's been betting against the dollar. The U.S. currency has fallen 3.4 percent against the euro since Oct. 1 and 3 percent against the pound in the same period.

The volatility "has been great to play with,'' said Leeson, who manages his own pension fund, and typically doesn't actively trade stocks or commodities. ``I've made money, but I can take a slap as well from time to time.''

He said he may base himself in Galway, should he return to the markets full-time.

``Rather than going looking for a new job, I might decide I'd rather watch screens for 24 hours,'' Leeson said. ``I can't leave it alone entirely.''

Leeson, who says he played soccer ``at a decent level in the U.K.,'' runs the commercial operations at Galway United, which won promotion to the top Irish league last season and plays its first match this weekend, against west coast rivals Sligo Rovers.

United attracts crowds of about 1,600 to its rented stadium and charges ticket prices ranging from 8 to 15 euros ($10.47 to $19.64).

Revenue was about 700,000 euros last year and the club, whose best finish in Ireland's top league was second in 1986, has a budget of more than 1 million euros this year.

``I am trying to get the football club to run sound business principles,'' said Leeson. ``Every day is different, which is what I enjoyed about financial markets when I worked there.''

-------------

Date Posted: 30/Nov/2007 at 2:00pm

Now the gainers from Subprime......

Nov. 29 (Bloomberg) -- The subprime crisis that's caused so much trauma for hedge funds and investment banks has brought only good news for John Paulson. He's the manager of more than $7 billion in hedge fund money keyed to mortgage credit.

Paulson started warning his investors back in the middle of 2006 that the frenzy to build and sell housing was a bubble about to pop. His New York-based firm, Paulson & Co., made big bets predicting the edifice would soon come crashing down. The wager paid off in the first nine months of 2007, when Paulson's Credit Opportunities funds rose an average of 340 percent.

That gain earned Paulson an estimated $1.14 billion in performance fees for the nine months ended on Sept. 28. Fees on Paulson's other eight funds bring his total to $2.69 billion, which puts Paulson and co-manager Paolo Pellegrini at the top of Bloomberg's ranking of best-paid hedge fund managers. John Paulson is no relation to Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, the former chief executive officer of Goldman Sachs Group Inc.

-------------

Posted By: deveshkayal
Date Posted: 30/Nov/2007 at 6:19pm
Very interesting Bubblevision. Some Gain, some lose!

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Print Page | Close Window