Print Page | Close Window

Diversified vs Concentrated Portfolios..

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Market Strategies
Forum Name: Fundamental
Forum Discription: Discuss the operations and finances of any of your companies.Make the other participants aware on the investment opportunities available in a stock on PE free cash flow etc
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=364
Printed Date: 27/Apr/2024 at 12:52pm

Topic: Diversified vs Concentrated Portfolios..
Posted By: Equity Buff
Subject: Diversified vs Concentrated Portfolios..
Date Posted: 17/Sep/2006 at 9:31am
Dear Basant,

In DNA money supplement Dt. Sept 15th, Mr. Anoop Bhaskar fund manager of the best performing Equity fund in India this year Sundram BNP Paribas Select Mid Cap fund has 104 stocks in his fund, more than double the number held by his closet rivals. He has said in the interview that "you have to diversify your portfolio, especially when investing in Mid Cap companies".

In the same article Mr. Suresh Soni, fund manager of DWS Alpha Equity Fund, the fourth best performing equity fund this year says" Its always nice to spice up your portfolio with some mid caps in the hope of higher returns but I would stick to large caps for our bread and butter".

Would like your views on Concentrated portfolios versus diversified portfolios and also if you could post any results of studies which may have been done on concentration versus diversification.

Rgds
Equity Buff

Replies:
Posted By: Vivek Sukhani
Date Posted: 18/Sep/2006 at 7:47pm
Basant has a study on diversification and risk management.He has studied, how many scrips lead to how much risk avoidance.

Diversification, if suitably applied does help in conservation of wealth but even there you need to have some sort of a concentration, else you will become an index and never be an outperformer.But here I would like to tell you 1 thing... while trying to conserve wealth, you may end up with more wealth most of the times.... thats whatsurprises me!!!!Thats because, while trying to conserve, you adopt such rigid formats and standards that you end up having creme de la creme and which more often than not surprise you quite positively.

Basant, will be glad if you can re-post that original post of yours. Even I was searching for it, but was not able to locate it.

Vivek

Date Posted: 18/Sep/2006 at 8:16pm

Dear Vivek,

Thanks for your post.

The debate is not only about Diversification or Concentration but also about whether Mid Caps should form a majority of ones portfolio(high %age of total invested amount in Mid caps) and also whether one should have a concentrated or diversified portfolio in Mid caps or should majority of ones portfolio be mainly Large caps with some Mid Caps thrown in for a kicker ?

As we know chances of getting a serious multibagger are in small & mid caps.

Rgds
Equity Buff

Date Posted: 18/Sep/2006 at 8:47pm
I fully endorse your views.However, while loading mid-caps you have to be extremely choosy.Also, while choosing mid-caps instead of the top-down approach, bottom-up approach is far more advisable.Also, the mid-caps which throw up the maximum surprise are the one which belong to the out-of-favour sector.In short, playing mid-caps demand you to be a grater contrarion than while you are playing large caps.
I am myself a very big devotee of mid-caps.I also agree, there wo;; a;ways be more valye in mid-caps and you will have more bang for your buck in mid-caps.However, if inappropriately chosen, your portfolio can get banged.

Date Posted: 18/Sep/2006 at 9:44pm

Dear Basant,

Will appreciate your views on my 2 posts on this subject. Also kindly repost your earlier post which Vivek is refering to in his post.

Thanks.

Posted By: basant
Date Posted: 18/Sep/2006 at 9:53pm
Sure just been really tied up with something would do it absolutely. Sorry..

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Date Posted: 18/Sep/2006 at 10:01pm

Many thanks Basant. Pls take your time.

Rgds.

Posted By: Ajith
Date Posted: 18/Sep/2006 at 10:49pm
Buffet advises a concentrated portfolio but that is only for those with superior abilty and those choosing syocks with sustainable competitive advantage at a discounted valuation and with a very longterm approach and thats not easy.For lesser mortals ,those choosing midcaps which will hopefully become large caps a larger portfolio which can be pruned later may be the better option.

-------------
Ajith

Date Posted: 19/Sep/2006 at 1:11pm
Dear Basant,

A kind reminder, will also appreciate your views on my above 2 posts Diversification or Concentration.

Also kindly post your earlier post which Vivek is refereing to in his post.

Rgds
Equity Buff

Posted By: xbox
Date Posted: 19/Sep/2006 at 1:27pm
One statement will clarify all confusion ...

'Diversifty for wealth protection and concentrate for wealth creation'.

Easy said than job done.

-------------
Don't bet on pig after all bull & bear in circle.

Date Posted: 19/Sep/2006 at 2:26pm

There is no confusion. Just want different views.

Date Posted: 19/Sep/2006 at 2:51pm

The question whether midcaps or large caps should be viewed in terms of the time an investor is willing to hold onto his portfolio. For shorter durations of time midcaps will fluctuate wildly falling 40% with the market but when that happens investors forget that this stock also rose 40% with the market.

A risk taking investor should always invest in midcaps because it defines the scope of companies that can grow faster, quicker and longer. A large cap generally indicates a mature or a maturing business where the risks are limited but so is the opportunity for growth. A few points should be noted while investing in midcaps:

1) They should be sector leaders

2) Their financials should be strong.

In case these two conditions are met I do not think that there could be a problem in choosing between a midcap and a large cap. Finally as we said midcaps rise equally as fast as they fall so while they would be subject to higher volatility we cannot say that the chances of losing money is higher. That is as long as we have a long term view. Which in any case is a a sine-quo-non for investing in equities as a class.

A diversified portfolio tells you two things. One is, your standards are falling. Or the other thing, the markets are incredibly cheap. So yes that itself gives you discipline. If you are finding it incredibly difficult finding your dozen good ideas, again it tells you that either your standards are way too high, so you are an academic or the market is probably overvalued at this point – Vinod Sethi Former Fund Manager at Morgan Stanley

Now why diversification is important:

1)     It cuts down volatility. Lower volatility would lead to a higher Sharpe ratio. This ratio is sued by most of the fund mutual fund analysts to determine which fund is good. The best performing fund on the basis of Sharpe ratio hold over 100 stocks.

2)      There will always be a cause for celebration because some sector will always outperform. So the portfolio will never underperform the market.

3)      Event risks are cut down that means if a mutual fund is holding WIPRO and if WIPRO issues a profit warning with a 50% fall in price the fund that has diversified itself through a lot of companies would not get impacted since each company constitutes a very small percentage of its portfolio.

What are the pitfalls of diversification?

1)     I think that a person who diversifies into more then 25- 30 stocks is unsure of the stocks that he holds.

2)      Now if some one asks us what is the best large cap software company we would say Infosys. But a portfolio that is diversified will have Satyam and Wipro because the fund manager says what if Infosys does not do well. We could ask the same question what if Infosys does as well as we thought and Satyam underperforms. Diversification allows the weeds to get into our flower garden.

3)      Most of the times people who hold diversified portfolios want to have a bit of every rally in the market. In the example that you gave about Sundaram Select fund holding 194 stocks assume that the fund held an average bet of 0.5% in each stock. If it gets a ten bagger the portfolio moves by only 4.5%. Seasoned investors would know how hard it is to get a ten bagger and having got one it has made minimal impact to the NAV of the fund.

4)      The story does not end there as soon as the stock starts moving the manager will sell out to book profits because otherwise this stock’s weightage shall increase in his portfolio casing a shift away from the diversification mantra.

5)     Buffet preferred to hold a concentrated portfolio. At one point in time he had put half of his corpus to a single stock “American Express”.

6)     Mutual fund managers have quite a few problems a) they have a higher impact cost b) they need to keep their Sharpe ratio high c) Investors are mostly worried with wild NAV swings and therefore managers want to control volatility.

7)     Peter lynch the best fund manager of all times held over 1400 stocks in his fund but said that as a fund manager he had no option. On the number of stocks one should have in his portfolio he said

” Owning stocks is like having children – don’t get involved with more than you can handle. The part- time stock picker probably has time to follow 8-12 companies, and to buy and sell shares as conditions warrant. There don’t have to be more than 5 companies in the portfolio at any one time.”

The Robert Hag storm Study Results of Concentration

STEP – 1 The Different Sample Size

Computer randomly assigns from 1200 companies, 12000 portfolios of various sizes. For 10 year returns:

3000 portfolios covering 250 stocks each.

3000 portfolios covering 100 stocks each.

3000 portfolios covering 50 stocks each.

3000 portfolios covering 15 stocks each

Step 2 Result of the analysis

Stocks

Best returns

Worst returns

Outperform

16%

11.4%

63/3000

18.3%

10%

337/3000

19.1%

8.6%

549/3000

26.6%

4.4%

808/3000

Gp

13.8%

Average

S&P

15.2%

Real

The Final Answer

Sample

Chances of outperforming the market

Number of stocks that outperformed the market

A 15 stock portfolio

1 to 4

898/3000

A 250 stock portfolio

1 in 50

63/3000

Random returns are better then that of a focused portfolio hence stock selection. Trading costs and Taxes have been ignored

Study 2:

In study it was indicated that the market risks reduces with an in crease in the number of stocks in the portfolio but only to a certain extent.

Number of stocks

Percentage of Market risk eliminated

46%

72%

81%

93%

96%

99%

So increasing the number of stocks beyond a point (8 stocks) does not significantly reduce the market risk.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Date Posted: 19/Sep/2006 at 6:38pm

Dear Basant,

Thanks for your detailed reply. Really good.
I guess a really good question "Diversified or Concentrated Portfolio" deserved a really good reply !!

Rgds
Equity Buff  

Date Posted: 19/Sep/2006 at 10:39pm
It is a matter of personal taste.I have noticed that I feel comfortable( and better performance)having 18-20 stocks with a fair degree of conentration in that 3 or 4  stocks would constitute 50 percent of total.The rest is to get a feeling for the stocks and scale up or switch out as circumstances warrant.

-------------
Ajith

Date Posted: 19/Sep/2006 at 10:56pm
Basant, you are truly amazing. Actually, I think as an amateir u should have a diversified portfolio. Thereafter you can prune. tell me, how can i , a 27 year old, have a concentrated portfolio.I need to see life, then i can concentrate. Also, newcomers should not try to practise becoming a Buffett. Its a stunt meant to be performed only by the legendary.....

Basant, wanted to know what is Enterprise Value all about. Will be glad if you can explain it to me.

Regards,

Vivek

Date Posted: 19/Sep/2006 at 10:58pm
Ajith, you will always have a Pareto in your portfolio no matter what...meaning 80 p.c. of the value will be there in 20 p.c. of your holdings(in terms of no. of companies).

Date Posted: 19/Sep/2006 at 11:16pm
 I think as an amateir u should have a diversified portfolio. Thereafter you can prune. tell me, how can i , a 27 year old, have a concentrated portfolio
Vivek it is something like the chicken and the egg race. Concentration comes from conviction which what ever anyone says comes only after you have made your first 5 bagger. Absolutely new commers should have at least 8 -10 stocks because to have a concentrated portfolio you need to understand the companies first. A few musts for having a concentrated portfolio:

1) Always buy the sector leaders. They will rarely be extinguished.

2) Never buy on if that happens this will happen. For instance people can buy companies making set top boxes tghinking that if CAS happens they will gain.

3) Always have equal distribution. FOr instanmce if I have a portfolio of 4 stocks:

Portfolio 1-
Stock A 55%
Stock B 20%
Stock C 13%
Stock D 12%

Portfolio 2
Stock A 30%
Stock B 25%
Stock C 23%
Stock D 22%

And assume you go wrong in the most weighted stock of both the portfolios Stock A:

In Portfolio 1 you would need to get 3 ideas correct to rectify this mistake

In Portfolio 2 you would require any one idea correct to rectify this mistake.

So having concentrated portfolios does not mean owing just 4 stocks but there has to be diversification amongst all these four  - Diversification in concentration is what I call this.

-------------

Date Posted: 19/Sep/2006 at 12:14pm

Yes,Vivek my portfolio can get concentrated over time but I would love it if moderate holdings really outperform.Just think Credit Capital Venture I bought(and am holding still) at 8 Rupees (There was some reduction in capital)and ignored by me  as unimportant for past 9 years is now I L & F S investment managers quoting at around 140(yesterday)Xb 1:2.There have been scores of  shares like that for other investors  also in the past and there are hundreds like that today and I hope to do a repeat and ignore and let the moderate holdings blossom... but it can turn ot as you say that is a possiblity I cannot rule out ...If I had the luxury of making company visits and interacting with managements  and having an organizational backup I would love to have a few hundred shares in my portfolio but my limitations puts the brakes since I would  otherwise lose all  control .I have heard of someone  having 240 stocks..no point at all in having so many.

-------------
Ajith

Posted By: manishdave
Date Posted: 19/Sep/2006 at 6:35am
Vivek,
Enterprise value is value of Business only. Not counting cash/debt.

EV = Mkt Cap + Debt - Cash

On diversification:
IMO don't diversify for sake of it or don't concentrate for sake of it. If I find idea with exceptional potential with low risk I load up to significant % of portfolio. Now % also depends on other opportunity.

Then suppose something goes up significantly and I think it is price to sell I have money but no great investment idea. I park money and naturally gets more diversified with low risk, good yield stocks - sell HAATHI and buy BAKARIYAN. Once I have something significant or mkt crashed and a particular stock goes down more than others I sell diversification and start concentrating.

Date Posted: 19/Sep/2006 at 9:12am
Traders will do well to have a concentrated portfolio as explained in that wonderful book The Zurich Axioms.Investors have to be aware of their limitations in the longer term perspective and plan accordingly.

-------------
Ajith

Date Posted: 19/Sep/2006 at 10:33am
Well, one of the advantages I have seen with a diversied portfolio uis that you never become obssessed. Of course, you will have fancies, but to a certian extent. You will be able to see the universe if you are not merely holding but observing your companies.Gentlemen, you need to study the companies and in order to do that you must have their Annual Report and in order to do that you need to own them. Dont know , but to me diversification is an inevitable curse if you want to be a student in this market. I simply cannot get a hang of the culture of the company without looking at the co.'s annual report. Before we have our repertoire ready we need to test the strength of our weapons... and that testing calls for diversification.So, Basant, I agree with Manish, haathi baicho  bakri kharido, and if you adopt this startegy you will become diversified automatically.Also, diversification or concentration is also consequent upon market conditions.At the time of the start of a rally, you can have a concentrated portfolio but at the end of it, you have got to have a wise sectoral base in your portfolio.

Basant, request you to kindly share your views on that.

Regards,

Vivek

Date Posted: 20/Sep/2006 at 5:50pm

Good point ,Vivek.

-------------
Ajith

Posted By: deepinsight
Date Posted: 21/Sep/2006 at 1:39am
The execution of a concentrated portfolio requires
1. high level of conviction
2. a great level of understanding of the underlying business
3. a mental make up ownership versus trading
4. Some experience of making and losing money

the way I have built on it is by thinking in terms of old friends and new friends.

I start by putting a set amount in a new company (which I have anlyzed and am very positive about) and then study it further, giving it couple of quarters, over time if it turns out to be a good friend I add to it and make it part of the old friends circle.

The overall objective is to have a 80% portfolio of only old friends and 20% portfolio of new friends.

-------------
"Investing is simple, but not easy." - Warren Buffet

Date Posted: 21/Sep/2006 at 9:44am

Very well written"deepinsight".

-------------

Date Posted: 21/Sep/2006 at 10:48am
Yes Deepinsight,

Very good points you have mentioned. Concentration requires solid conviction, which comes from detailed study and understanding of the Industry in which the copmpany operates and also a detailed study of the Company itself and the confidence one has on the promoters of the company. You bet on people/managements and not per say on stocks. Because only if the management performs the stock will perform.

Rgds
Equity Buff

Posted By: prosperity
Date Posted: 22/Sep/2006 at 12:15pm
Very good summary, DeepInsight.

I agree to each and every word of your last post.
Really nice to get such experiences just by sharing and not the hard way of self-experiencing. Thanks Basantji for this forum !

-------------

Date Posted: 22/Sep/2006 at 2:44pm
Yes,really a concentrated portfolio is only for those who understand markets and companies , have deep pockets and are flexible -a very rare combination.The world is chaotic and just some turn of events can upset calculations.

-------------
Ajith

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 22/Sep/2006 at 3:01pm
DeepInsight

You are really giving full justice to your nick-name. Very nicely written...about "friends" analogy.

My query is: why not increase our old friends' circle?

-------------
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards

Date Posted: 22/Sep/2006 at 10:51pm

Glad the simple thoughts are appreciated.

Investment (for me) is all about learning to get to high conviction on ownership. However it’s not possible to get there in a hurry. As the saying goes “it takes a long time to make an old friend”.

The number here is not important. It could be one, five or ten.

20% is on “discovery/search” phase of finding those high conviction companies. (Some work out – some may not). Some become old friends some just acquaintances…

No percentage is allocated for trading. Have no negativity for traders. It’s just a different ball game. Different mind set, different rules to win, different temperament.

One angle to discuss the concentrated portfolio is through the lens of “risk”.

In high conviction companies we eagerly want to take the “risk” through more ownership.

In speculation/discovery/search phase we want to limit or distribute the “risk”.

The best example of risk takers are entrepreneurs who put everything they have in their own company. Talk about concentrated “risk”.

One of the lessons I learnt from the past was not about losing through having too concentrated a portfolio – it was rather not building/adding more on companies where your conviction grows. (as the company proves itself and becomes an old friend)

i.e.  In other words if one was an owner in Infosys – as the investor saw it performing quarter on quarter year on year – it would have been smart to keep adding to that position versus trying to find the next Infosys. 

One last thought on this - just as a quick reminder and stretching the friend analogy, as Mama always says “you need to choose your friends carefully”!

-------------

Date Posted: 22/Sep/2006 at 7:47am
Finding an Infosys is not easy but as you say selection is important and sleeping over the right stocks(retail right now?)is important.But I disagree strongly on not trying to find the next Infosys because that is the NAME OF THE GAME RIGHT NOW.

-------------
Ajith

Date Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 3:47pm
I found this very interesting from the link Bubblevision put up on this site:Though this exists on some part of the forum it should be very relevant in this thread.

I will only swing at pitches that I really like. If you do it 10 times in your life, you’ll be rich. You should approach investing like you have a punch card with 20 punch-outs, one for each trade in your life. I think people would be better off if they only had 10 opportunities to buy stocks throughout their lifetime. You know what would happen? They would make sure that each buy was a good one. They would do lots and lots of research before they made the buy. You don’t have to have many 4X growth opportunities to get rich. You don’t need to do too much, but the environment makes you feel like you need to do something all the time

-------------

Posted By: BubbleVision
Date Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 3:56pm
BasantJi... are you talking about that Buffet page link?....or please give the link here...

I put the links here as the advantages are two fold for me. As i cant read all the linked material in the office i use the links to read the articles at home without having to search again. At the same time it also helps others.

-------------
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!

Date Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 4:22pm
The same page link which you had put up.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 6:51pm
"Once you attain competency, diversification is undesirable"

In a great book "Wall Street on Sale", the author, Timothy P. Vick, writes about the perils of diversification.

source: capitalideas

"One of the most common questions asked by investors has to do with portfolio diversification.  Most investors rarely are comfortable with the size and mix of their stock holdings and seek academic answers to guide them.  Regrettably, some have collected stocks like postage stamps and own shares in more than 100 companies.  They have become, for all practical purposes, human mutual funds.  Though such diversity makes them feel "safe," their portfolio's performance likely will never deviate much from the market's, though their net returns will suffer from high commissions.  In addition, they have doomed themselves to countless frustrating days of paperwork and of tracking cost bases, stock splits, dividends, and spinoffs.  What often gets lost like the proverbial needle in this haystack of responsibilities is performance.  No investor can possibly monitor so many companies with any true degree of diligence.  Sluggish stocks are likely to stay in their portfolios for years, overvalued stocks aren't sold at appropriate times, and these investors lose control over the ability to measure results.

DIVERSIFICATION IS NOT NECESSARY

The cause of this dilemma—modern portfolio theory—is not new; it dates to research conducted in the 1950s and 1960s that tested the possible returns investors could expect from holding various baskets of stocks.  In attempting to "minimize risk," researchers tested how individual stocks reacted to movements in the market and used mathematical principles to show that a portfolio's volatility, its up and down fluctuations could be controlled by carefully selecting stocks that moved counter to one another.

These mathematical quests led to the general theory of diversification: Buy stocks in different industries to ensure against their all declining at the same time.  Eventually, researchers concluded that while an investor could never eliminate a portfolio's volatility, she can minimize it by owning about 20 stocks.  Buying more than 30 stocks provides negligible benefits.  But with 20 stocks, academics argued most individuals were "practically" diversified.

What does it mean to be diversified? A properly diversified portfolio, in academic parlance, is one that eliminates nonsystematic risk, that is, the risk that a single stock can cause material disruptions to your portfolio's returns.  The theory held that if you combine 20, 30, 40—even more—stocks in a portfolio, you could eliminate the risk that one stock imploded and caused your entire portfolio to suffer.  For every stock that unexpectedly declined, you could expect one to rise and offset the loss.

But being well diversified never protects your portfolio your portfolio from losses.  Even the most well managed mutual funds that own 200 stocks or more lose money periodically.  Having so many stocks merely lessens the probability of loss, a distinction that is important for all investors to understand.  An investor always is vulnerable to systematic risk, the risk that an unforeseen event can cause the entire stock market to drop.  No amount of stock buying can reduce all systematic risk.  The best you can do is to spread your money into different instruments such as bonds and foreign stocks to insulate yourself from a stock market meltdown.

Indeed, many investors have learned the hard way that owning 20 stocks alone won't necessarily reduce their risks.  Many investors believed they were diversified in 1994 because they owned one dozen or more utilities and all the "Baby Bell" stocks.  They learned the hard way the herd rule: Like stocks fall together.  Indeed, when the stock market plunged on October 19, 1987, nearly every stock listed on the New York Stock Exchange, American Stock Exchange, and Nasdaq dropped in price.  On the surface, it seems improbable that nearly every public company could fall in one day or that they were suddenly worth less intrinsically, but decline they did.

In fact, later research has found that even 20 stocks are insufficient to achieve diversification.  If you want to ensure that your portfolio returns do not deviate much from the market, you might have to own 60 to 100 stocks, a financially impossible task for most investors.

Risk cannot be defined by mathematics or share-price movements.  Rather, investors create risk by chasing stocks indiscriminately, by failing to do their homework.

But to a value investor, blanket statements about risk and return, which may have meaning at the billion-dollar money management level, are inert.  Risk cannot be defined by mathematics or share-price movements.  Rather, investors create risk by chasing stocks indiscriminately, by failing to do their homework.  You encounter the biggest risks when you fail to evaluate a company properly and as a result, pay more per share than the company is truly worth.  A company purchased at $60 per share offers a compelling value and little business risk if the shares actually are worth $90.  The same shares offer tremendous potential risk if the company's intrinsic value is only $30.  To quote Warren Buffett:

"I put heavy weight on certainty . . . If you do that, the whole idea of a risk factor doesn't make any sense to me.  You don't [invest] where you take a significant risk.  But it's not risky to buy securities at a fraction of what they're worth."

Mathematical diversification should not be an end or the means.  To many, it has become an excuse, on that necessarily leads to mediocre stock picking.  One clear advantage to value investing is that investors need not hoard stocks like souvenir spoons or Beenie Babies.  A well-rounded portfolio of eight to a dozen companies, each bought at favorable prices, possessing solid fundamentals, and offering suitable upside potential, is sufficient for most investors to achieve their goals."

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 7:02pm

Excellent article....DeepInsight......especially.....

Risk cannot be defined by mathematics or share-price movements.  Rather, investors create risk by chasing stocks indiscriminately, by failing to do their homework.

-------------

Posted By: Mohan
Date Posted: 19/Feb/2007 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by deepinsight

The execution of a concentrated portfolio requires
1. high level of conviction
2. a great level of understanding of the underlying business
3. a mental make up ownership versus trading
4. Some experience of making and losing money

the way I have built on it is by thinking in terms of old friends and new friends.

I start by putting a set amount in a new company (which I have anlyzed and am very positive about) and then study it further, giving it couple of quarters, over time if it turns out to be a good friend I add to it and make it part of the old friends circle.

The overall objective is to have a 80% portfolio of only old friends and 20% portfolio of new friends.

Very deep insight really.Clap

-------------
Be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful.

Date Posted: 25/Mar/2007 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by kulman

If you are a know-something investor, able to understand business economics and to find five to ten sensibly-priced companies that possess important long-term competitive advantages, conventional diversification makes no sense for you.  It is apt simply to hurt your results and increase your risk. 

I cannot understand why an investor of that sort elects to put money into a business that is his 20th favorite rather than simply adding that money to his top choices - the businesses he understands best and that present the least risk, along with the greatest profit potential. 
In the words of the prophet Mae West:  "Too much of a good thing can be wonderful."---Warren Buffett

Thank you for that wonderful quote. These type of quotes suits my mind and lends it some strength since I have always held less then 5 companies for the entir length of this current bull run.

-------------

Posted By: PKB2000
Date Posted: 08/May/2007 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by vipul

Are you making India121 Index ? hahahaha ...

Diversification is sign of weakness either in subject or in holdings.

In our good old school days we read sanskrit, history , geography, biology So many diversified subjects. In our colleges it was diversified and finally specialised. I think we can not really tell that school education was a sign of weakness. Later dates even in technical institution  we were taught diversified subjects. Once I enquired also with one of our professor forthe probable reason behind it. He mildly answered, the Syllabus are diversified for the students to acquire an inherent  patience and to encourage the habit of reading. It just help us to acuire knowledge that may not be the course for bread and butter. So truly I think the diversification is one route for specialisation.

All of us know that it started with  Fidelity approach in Indian equity fund with 75 stocks at there portfolio, since then there was a strong debate about its requirement and many people have different opinion on it. But Fidelity started with diversification and probably the did not disappoint us!

Yes when one company wish to diversify its business some people may find an wekness of its inherent business wheras some people cheers up and praises the management. Most BSE and NSE declaration of spreading business in diversified sectors by organisations are welcomed and the stocks move upwards.

If I recollect correctly long back in TED  once Reetsh discussed about stubborn and commitment in stock market behind the stocks. That was well said and well discussed.  I believe that through the process of diversification one can be highly specialised in his or her area provided he / she should have commitment and should not be stagnant in his or her journey. Incidentally I also worked with all those 121 stocks as discussed above and I can recollect reports / data (from analysts at different times) on those stcoks for a probable turning around stories as is happening in IFCI nowadays. Vipul please note that very few poeple can be as good analyser as you.

-------------
I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

Posted By: xbox
Date Posted: 08/May/2007 at 5:45am
PKB2000 jee,
Life is full of options. Guy who refuse to concentrate never marry, never buys a house, never buys a car. Diversification is weakness, we as a student were not knowing any thing about what we should know before selecting one, so we were tought all subjects as and when we start selecting one, we keep concentrating.
A road to concentration comes from diversification. Guy who first jump into concentration invariably fails (few exception). Diversification is journey and concentration is destination.
We all marry to one girl or man (few exceptions). We all buy one car out of many (few exception) etc. etc. Concentration is product, diversification is process. Needless to say a product without process worth little.
I agree with you 100%. Diversification is education, one must follow...

-------------
Don't bet on pig after all bull & bear in circle.

Date Posted: 10/May/2007 at 10:36pm
"Diversification may preserve wealth, but concentration builds wealth." - Warren Buffett

-------------

Posted By: CHINKI
Date Posted: 12/Jun/2007 at 11:13am
Basanthji, I was going through this thread. I could not get what you meant by this sentence :
"Random returns are better then that of a focused portfolio hence stock selection".

This is appearing in the second page of this thread when you are giving wonderful explaination for Concentrated Portfolio.

Kindly clarify.

-------------
TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST, BUT TOUGH PEOPLE DO

Date Posted: 12/Jun/2007 at 11:31am
A typo! Should be read as : Returns are better in a focused portfolio hence stock selection.

-------------

Posted By: CHINKI
Date Posted: 13/Jun/2007 at 3:30pm
Thank You very much sir.

You are bang on it within 30 minutes.

I think we all should learn time management from you.

Thanks once again.

-------------
TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST, BUT TOUGH PEOPLE DO

Date Posted: 17/Jun/2007 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by smartcat

Portfolio concentration is the best money making lesson I have learnt on TED. I don't think you are stressing this enough in your posts! It is a myth that holding only 10 stocks will make a portfolio volatile. I track the performance of Equitydesk XI everyday and the way it handles volatility is brilliant.

Eventhough I am not as bullish on  the three musketeers of TED (NW18, TV18 and Pantaloon) as everbody else, my portfolio is giving a good fight to Equitydesk XI (after I  reduced the number of stocks in my portfolio). 

We do stress on the concentration mantra but yes, somewhere along the lines the stressing part gets a bit diluted.

The TED XI is an excellent portfolio with all types of companies but the trick is to skew it in the right direction.

-------------

Date Posted: 20/Jun/2007 at 11:34am
Originally posted by vincent

After going thro the discussion on concentrated portfolios (I've 20 in mine). I had a random walk at the portfolio of common stocks of berkshire from 1977 to 2003 as mentioned in the book "The Warren Buffet way". I found that the max no. of stocks held in the portfolio was 18 as mentioned in the annual report of 1980 & 3 stocks in the report of 1987. in '79, '81 & '82 the portfolio had 13, 15 & 11 stocks. All the other years the portfolio did not exceed 10 stocks.

Then i just remembered that one of my family member holds only 2 stocks (HDFC & HDFC bank) since their IPO's. Needless to say both of them are 100 baggers.

I've to work out ...

Buffet at one point in time had more then 50% of his portfolio in only one stock American Express. In the early days his portfolio was heavily skewed towards GEICO!

-------------

Date Posted: 16/Sep/2007 at 9:20pm

http://money.cnn.com/2007/09/06/pf/zweig_september.moneymag/index.htm - How many stocks should you own?

The answer is a lot more, and a lot fewer, than you probably think.

By Jason Zweig

With the stock market as bouncy as a beat-up couch, you may be thinking it's time to focus on a small number of stocks that you know really well. What better way to keep returns up and risk down?

Conventional wisdom and new academic research certainly seem to suggest that this is the way to go. Many financial planners and brokers will tell you that a portfolio of as few as 12 stocks (and up to 30) will sufficiently diversify your holdings.

And three recent studies have found that individuals who own fewer stocks do better than those who own many.

However, as is often the case with conventional wisdom (and academic research), there's a lot more to the story. Fact is, if you build your portfolio entirely on the principle of "less is more," you're a lot more likely to end up with less than more. Here's why and what to do instead.

Those were the days

The idea that 12 to 30 stocks are all you need dates back at least to the 1960s, when academics, including Burton Malkiel, author of the classic "A Random Walk Down Wall Street," concluded that that's what it took to eliminate most of the risk from a portfolio. (They usually defined "risk" as the chance of suffering big swings away from the average market return.)

But back in the days of hula hoops and transistor radios, and before computer-generated trading became common, stocks didn't bounce around the way they do today. In 2001, Malkiel found that it took 50 stocks to get the risk reduction that 20 used to provide. Others estimate that true diversification requires hundreds of stocks.

The focus factor

Just recently, however, researchers studying the performance of individual investors have discovered something that, at first glance, seems electrifying: The more concentrated a portfolio is, the higher the returns. One study found that investors whose portfolios were dominated by one or two stocks outperformed the most diversified stock owners by 0.8 to 4.8 percentage points annually on average. That's a huge gap. And roughly 8 percent of the top performers had portfolios concentrated in a single stock.

So the heck with diversification, right?

Well, not exactly. First, the least-diversified investors frequently lagged the market; they just lagged by less than investors who held more stocks.

Second, because stock returns are so uneven, the "average" undiversified investor doesn't really exist. At any given point, there are something like 10,000 stocks in the United States. Most of them are mediocre, but a handful are what Bill Bernstein of Efficient Frontier Advisers dubs "superstocks," capable of delivering gargantuan returns for years. Think Microsoft in the '90s, when it returned 9,000 percent. (More often superstocks are lesser-known companies.)

Across a large group of people whose portfolios are mostly in one or two stocks, the lucky few with superstock portfolios will make the group's average return look great, even if the vast majority of individual members have lousy or middling results.

On the other hand, investors who spread their bets across dozens of stocks have only a slightly better chance at catching a superstock. And if they do land one, it won't have nearly as much impact on their portfolios, or on the group's average return.

So the real story is that you need a lot of stocks to be adequately diversified, and you need a concentrated portfolio to give yourself a shot at striking it rich. An unsolvable catch-22? Hardly. In fact, you can have it both ways by employing a straightforward, two-part strategy.

First, direct 90 percent of your U.S. equity allocation into a total stock market index fund that automatically gives you a stake in thousands of companies. That guarantees you a piece of every superstock that already exists or might emerge later - and, more important, it means you'll be adequately diversified and your investing costs will be at rock bottom.

Then pursue your search for the next Microsoft or Google by researching the daylights out of a very small number of companies and putting the remaining 10 percent of your portfolio into your one-to-three best ideas. This way you'll let yourself have a little fun. You will also minimize your risk and maximize your hope.

------------------------------------------------

Interesting views there from Mr. Zweig. TEDdies....please post your comments on this one.

-------------

Date Posted: 16/Sep/2007 at 10:44pm
decent proposition......however, for individual investors its very difficult to beleive that the markets will be better than them......also, if you divide your portfolio equally among 100 stocks with a percent of the total investment divided into each one of them , over a longer period of time you will automatically become concentrated....you may ask how? thats because some of them will produce such wonderful returns that they will dwarf many other mediocre and hopeless type of stocks. Ultimately Pareto principle will take care of the portfolio.....

Date Posted: 16/Sep/2007 at 10:58pm
...Ultimately Pareto principle will take care of the portfolio.....

------------------------------------------------------

Pareto principle----the 80/20 rule states that, for many events, 80% of the effects comes from 20% of the causes!

-------------

Posted By: shetty
Date Posted: 04/Jan/2008 at 5:13pm
The Pareto principle is good for the long run. You buy a large numebr of stocks. Some will grow to such an extent that they will dwarf the mediocre ones.

Posted By: vijayM
Date Posted: 29/Jan/2008 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by basant

Originally posted by kulman

Most of us would rather buy stocks that have already risen in price than put buy limits in for stocks that have been big losers. It takes rare courage to be willing to "buy when the blood is running in the streets,"--- Nathan Rothschild
Source: http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/stocks-likely-enjoy-bounce-early/story.aspx?guid=%7B9A5044D1%2D14D1%2D4A88%2DAA12%2DB8A617F961E7%7D - here

I have an additional point on this. On aportfolio of Rs 100 I can buy Rs 1 worth of a stock that is tanking because maximum amount that I lose is 1%  but the conviction comes when you bet more then 15% of the portfolio in that stock. Everything else is diversification.

Basantji,
I agree with your point of conviction but many of us are not good in analysing a company to the extent that you can do. This is mainly a matter of lack of qualification in finance, competance etc. Hence I prefer the strategy of 10 stocks with 10 % each.

Regards
vijayM

Date Posted: 29/Jan/2008 at 6:56am

Basantji,
I agree with your point of conviction but many of us are not good in analysing a company to the extent that you can do. This is mainly a matter of lack of qualification in finance, competance etc. Hence I prefer the strategy of 10 stocks with 10 % each.
Regards
Mani

No problems at all. It is better to be sure about a startegy before we implement it. I was talking froma  personal point of view.

10 stocks with apprx 10% each is also good enough.

-------------

Posted By: s_praharaj
Date Posted: 05/Feb/2008 at 8:01pm
Pareto principle also applies to Banking.
Here 80% of a Bank's business comes from 20% of its customers.

-------------
Shashi Praharaj

Posted By: MANI
Date Posted: 06/Feb/2008 at 8:18pm
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE WE CAN GET RELIABLE TTM EPS DATA QUICKLY ON INTERNET.

THANKS

MANI

-------------
MANI

Posted By: pramodjain
Date Posted: 06/Feb/2008 at 9:37pm
Can JM Core 11 Outperform TEDXI
JM Core 11 Investment Trategy
1. The fund will have no market capitalization or sector restrictions.
2. The fund will have a portfolio of exactly 11 stocks.
3. All the 11 stocks will be 9.09% of the portfolio at the time of purchase.
4. The fund will also have strict monitoring criteria, where it will seek to replace certain stocks out of the portfolio every six months so as to prevent stagnancy coming into the fund portfolio.
5. The stocks selection process in the fund may be based on the collowing criteria. - 3year earning growth 25% CAGR. 3 year forward proce to earning ratio 5-7X  - P/E expansion 10% per annum . Return otential of 100% over the 3year period.

Portfolio churn discipline
1.  If a stock has acheieved a return of 100% before the completion of a 12 months period then its placeinthe portfolio may be reviewed. The stock may be held on if the fund manager s of the view that the stock will deliver a 33% CAGR return to  the remaining tenure of the fund.
2. Any stock that achieves a return of the 50% with in a period of less than three months may be reviewed and may be held only if the fund manager believes that the 33% CAGR return potential still remains agter the cooling off period.
3. Any stock that achieves a return of 100% within a period ofless than 6 months may similarly be sold out and left for a cooling period of 10 trading days.
4. Any stock that does not meet at least 50% of targeted return s within 6 months of purchase may be sold out and left for a cooling off period of 5 trading days.
5. Hower, discretionof

-------------
"We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy only when others are fearful."

Date Posted: 07/Feb/2008 at 11:05pm

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/81510704-c623-11dc-8378-0000779fd2ac,s01=1.html - Whitney Tilson: Strong stomach? Concentrate that portfolio

As in most subjects relating to money management, there’s a wide diversity of opinion on portfolio concentration versus diversification.

Warren Buffett, who often held fewer than 10 stocks in his partnership before he took over Berkshire Hathaway, has always been an articulate proponent of concentration, arguing that because truly superior ideas are few and far between, the impact of owning them should not be diluted by ideas that are anything less than superior.

David Einhorn of Greenlight Capital puts it well: “We believe in constructing the portfolio so that we put our biggest amount of money in our highest-conviction idea, and then we view the other ideas relative to that. We find things that we think are exceptional only occasionally, so if we find something we think is mispriced, where we have a good understanding of why it’s mispriced, where we think the mispricing is very large and the overall risk is very small, we take an outsized position to make sure we give ourselves the chance to be well compensated for getting it right.”

Managers in favour of somewhat greater diversification – owning, say, 30-50 stocks at a time – often point to the probabilistic nature of investing as justification for not putting too many eggs in one basket.

Zeke Ashton of Centaur Capital describes this position: “It’s not unusual for us to make a good decision that has a bad outcome. If you’re really concentrated and have two bad outcomes out of 10 perfectly good decisions, 10 per cent of your portfolio can blow up.

Our long portfolio currently consists of 24 positions, but nearly half is in our top two positions and the next four positions are all in the 8-12 per cent range. This extremely high level of concentration results in quite a bit of short-term volatility, but my partner and I are comfortable with this and believe it’s the best route to superior long-term returns.

This isn’t for everyone, however: unless you have a strong stomach, a great deal of experience and make your living as an investor, I highly recommend much greater diversification.

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Feb/2008 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by sunny agarwal

i feel u need to concentrate ur portfolio. u have many stocks in ur portfolio.  i am in these markets for the past 4 years and i am limited to only 3/4 stocks. currently i have my 100% holding in one stock only.

ur concern should be percent gains rather than just filling up stocks in ur portfolio. if one stock can give u 100% y do u need to buy 10 stocks. less stocks help u to focus on them and thus results in better research and understanding of the company.

instead of buying 20 companies that can give u returns just identify 1 among 20 and go for it.

Pearls of wisdom. The biggest gains and losses come from concentarted portfolios only but more often then not an investor will buy the better managed company at a reasonable valuation then otherwise when he has to bet hard.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/Mar/2008 at 9:06pm
I think one way in which one can fortify one's portfolio is by adequate diversification. I know, many will say what Buffett thinks of diversification. But, although I agree that diversification does indicate ignorance at times, all I want to ask, that by doing concentration are we not assuming we are experts, that we are not ignorant, that we know-all. I think concentration should be allowed naturally, when one of the stocks you have picked up goes on to become a powerhouse in your portfolio.

I think, by admitting that we are not experts, by accepting we are ignorant, that we dont all, can save us a lot from the pain. You should arrive at a concentrated portfolio after a period of time, achieved naturally rather than articially.

I know I will be made to look stupid but then I dont have any inhibition in accepting my stupidity.....I dont think I am intelligent, in any case.

Posted By: Janak.merchant1
Date Posted: 11/Mar/2008 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Vivek Sukhani

I think one way in which one can fortify one's portfolio is by adequate diversification. I know, many will say what Buffett thinks of diversification. But, although I agree that diversification does indicate ignorance at times, all I want to ask, that by doing concentration are we not assuming we are experts, that we are not ignorant, that we know-all. I think concentration should be allowed naturally, when one of the stocks you have picked up goes on to become a powerhouse in your portfolio.

I think, by admitting that we are not experts, by accepting we are ignorant, that we dont all, can save us a lot from the pain. You should arrive at a concentrated portfolio after a period of time, achieved naturally rather than articially.

I know I will be made to look stupid but then I dont have any inhibition in accepting my stupidity.....I dont think I am intelligent, in any case.

Hi Vievk,

U r a wise man.

I'll give u my example and how the diversification works if the investments choosen are foolish or based on misplaced trust.

This is from 1997 to 2001 start. Invested in 1 co  and loaned to 12 different friends and relatives. Nobody paid and investment in Westinn Hospitality of Chennai became 0.

Diversification for the sake of it is meaningless.

What's your view?

Best wishes,

-------------
I love my money, not my opinion. So i am ready and willing to change my opinion for the sake of protecting my money.

Date Posted: 11/Mar/2008 at 9:43pm
Vivekji:

There is no -ve's in diversification. Its advantage is well documented. The counter arguments to concentration is also well discussed. 8-10 companies already give adequate diversification if its different sectors, market caps, etc. 

BTW the benefits of diversification of lowering risk has also a consequence of lowering returns. At least that is coming out of statistical studies.

If we accept that we are not experts - then the attempt has to be made to learn to develop the expertise. (BTW - I think you are.) Till then for the rest of us, indexation or outsourcing stock selection to a good fund makes sense.

I know this may not be liked- but we would not trust a novice with a knife to do brain surgery - we would also not accept them to do a minor surgery. (read: big amounts or small amounts)

Why risk real capital without having an intent to become good at the task and belief of being an expert. If one is not willing to develop "expertise" - then the best bet is index funds where with low costs we capture average returns.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/Mar/2008 at 10:09pm
Hi Deep and Mr. Merchant,

I will take Deep's point first. I think, investing in MF doesnt make any sense in case one's aim is to learn investing. You cant learn to swim by seeing others swim, or trying to toe-test waters. You have to dive, the only thing you can do to protect, is to wear a jacket/tube of some sort. When applied to investing, it can mean investing in some recognised companies, premium type companies. I remember, even though Kabra extrusiontechnik was one of the first companies I did some work on in my college days, but it was an OBC where my dad allowed me to invest first. Because, he made it mandtory for me to invest in only A-group companies.When he started to feel that I am reasonably okay with my investments, he made me write 10 stocks where I will never be a seller until and unless a pecific price is reached. And i still remember what was my first stock in that list....it was none other than GE Shipping and the price I wrote against that was 275. But such training made me an extremely rigid person with respect to my style. Now, I simply cannot sleep with less than 200 stocks in my list.

All i intend to say is that one must groom oneself first before assuming he has any expertise in a field. Deep, I dont think returns has anything to do with diversification/concentration. Its more a matter of discipline, rather than concentration/diversification.

Now, I will reply to your point, Mr. Merchant. Anything for the sake of it, is a wrong practice, be it concentration or diversification. A day trader who just invests for a day and loses in the one company he choses for himself is also fooling himself by concentrating on that single 'gem'.

I think, the ultimate objective of any investment plan is to generate a cash flow, either immediately or after a period or to prepare it like a stream. This is where I believe most people go wrong. When one plans about his investment, just alongside he has to keep a cash flow ready. People dont know their risk capital, although they talk about appetite.

I know Mr. merchant, I wont be making any sense to you.....but nonetheless, I aim to learn by being a participant here rather than trade on paper.

Date Posted: 11/Mar/2008 at 10:28pm
Vivekji:
Point taken. I also respect your perspective so its great -if it works. I also agree that one has to groom oneself.

Learning by doing is correct - but would you advise a novice on learning by doing a lot? (meaning a big portfolio).

You have obviously managed to build a ability to manage a very big portfolio. That's great. Did you start already with a very big portfolio very early? Did this lead to great returns? What was the key learning (other than being defense against mistakes)

My ealy gains were very concentrated in a handful of companies - I guess we become victoms of our success.

-------------

Date Posted: 16/Mar/2008 at 8:17pm

Basant Sir, since you said that the last one is the most excellent, I have a simple question.....Isnt this sometimes too dangerous....????

I think one should always work out the consequences of failure before taking a huge plunge.I think this has to do a lot with the concentration theme.

Yes, concentrated portfolios suffer from something which we call event risk! Someday sometime it has the potential to get anyone. SO if yu are holding 4 stocks the ideal concentration would be to have 25% in each so even if you get hit by an event risk you lose 25% assuming that the others make up for each other.

Once you are in this game of betting big when it matters you will never be able to bet small and also betting big will save you from several problems beause you would have nightmares in trying to control risk.

Had I had a 30 stcoks portfolio I would have definetely bet on some of the brokerage stocks because I was always fascinated by their growth but risk control measures saved me from doing this.

Hence I chose to be with Yes and Axis and though they have fallen they are still above or equal to my purchase price (though purchase price matters nothging to me).

In fact in the excel sheet where I manage my portfolio their is no column for purchase price and profits. I want to be relieved of the baggae of purchase price which is of historical significance only.Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 16/Mar/2008 at 8:48pm
To be very candid, inspired by you, even I am trying to practise concentration for all my incremental investment. Thats why I am trying to recognise the "The-Ten" for myself for my incremental investments. Although I sit with 200 cards, but then I believe if I continue to practise your style I may have 500 cards, but my significant exposure will be limited to about 10-20 stocks. ((The reason the number of stocks will go up is entirely because of my habit of making purchases like housewives purchase grocery. I dip-stick a lot and hence the increase in number. ))

Perhaps thats why, this year I have put my money in just a few companies. 

Posted By: Janak.merchant1
Date Posted: 16/Mar/2008 at 9:20pm

Hi Deep and Mr. Merchant,

All i intend to say is that one must groom oneself first before assuming he has any expertise in a field. Deep, I dont think returns has anything to do with diversification/concentration. Its more a matter of discipline, rather than concentration/diversification.

Now, I will reply to your point, Mr. Merchant. Anything for the sake of it, is a wrong practice, be it concentration or diversification.

Clap

-------------
I love my money, not my opinion. So i am ready and willing to change my opinion for the sake of protecting my money.

Date Posted: 16/Mar/2008 at 10:40pm
A Question -

Assume that somebody is bullish on particular sector and he/she has many different within the sector. For example in finance you can have private bank, psu bank, brokerage, insurance, housing finance etc. Or in commodity it is gold/base metals/agri/oil, mining companies/oil exporers etc. Same in infra space you can have many companies.

Now if somebody is bullish and heavily weighted in sector but many investments, is it concetration or diversification? Or diversification in concentration?

Posted By: BubbleVision
Date Posted: 16/Mar/2008 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by manishdave

Now if somebody is bullish and heavily weighted in sector but many investments, is it concetration or diversification? Or diversification in concentration?

Manish jee...I would term it as "Diversification in Concentration" because

- One have many diverse sectors to invest in, however you choose one ....That is "Concentration".

- Within "Concentration", one can diversify within may different instruments - Stocks, Bonds, Currencies (if applicable), or Underlying (if applicable).
   - Stocks can then be diversified in terms of different companies

-------------
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!

Date Posted: 16/Mar/2008 at 11:07pm

A Question -

Assume that somebody is bullish on particular sector and he/she has many different within the sector. For example in finance you can have private bank, psu bank, brokerage, insurance, housing finance etc. Or in commodity it is gold/base metals/agri/oil, mining companies/oil exporers etc. Same in infra space you can have many companies.

I think its a case of diversification in concentration. Its concentrated for the single reason that all the assets of the portfolio are exposed to similar risk and have an identical return expectation. If the sector does well, all do well and if the sector does bad, all suffer. So, its not a place of diversification. I believe, the very motive of diversification is to reduce the standard deviation of the expected returns of the portfolio. In case that objective is defeated its not a case of diversification.

Posted By: shivkumar
Date Posted: 16/Mar/2008 at 11:12pm

Basant Sir, since you said that the last one is the most excellent, I have a simple question.....Isnt this sometimes too dangerous....????

I think one should always work out the consequences of failure before taking a huge plunge.I think this has to do a lot with the concentration theme.

In fact in the excel sheet where I manage my portfolio their is no column for purchase price and profits. I want to be relieved of the baggage of purchase price which is of historical significance only.Smile

oh, oh. then how can you say PRIL was a 100 bagger or whatever if you don't keep track of purchase price and profit margin?Ying%20Yang

Date Posted: 16/Mar/2008 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by shivkumar

In fact in the excel sheet where I manage my portfolio their is no column for purchase price and profits. I want to be relieved of the baggage of purchase price which is of historical significance only.Smile

oh, oh. then how can you say PRIL was a 100 bagger or whatever if you don't keep track of purchase price and profit margin?Ying%20Yang

Thats where the mind of an investigating journalist comes in......

However, in spirat I believe what Basant Sir meant was that its of little significance to him...how many bags you finally make up will depend upon when you sell that stock, everything before that is notional.

Date Posted: 16/Mar/2008 at 11:26pm

A Question -

I think its a case of diversification in concentration. Its concentrated for the single reason that all the assets of the portfolio are exposed to similar risk and have an identical return expectation. If the sector does well, all do well and if the sector does bad, all suffer. So, its not a place of diversification. I believe, the very motive of diversification is to reduce the standard deviation of the expected returns of the portfolio. In case that objective is defeated its not a case of diversification.

Sometimes doing diversification in concentration is not bad idea. WB - proponent of concentration recently did so in Korea. For him things looks very cheap and he didn't know much abt companies. So he purchased basket of 20 stocks there. So investors in concentration camp(no pun intended) should consider this in certain situations.

Date Posted: 16/Mar/2008 at 11:27pm

Originally posted by shivkumar

I do file  tax returns! Also what I meant was it does not remain before my eyes always. If I bought Reliance at rs 1800 I will sell it at Rs 1200 also if I think I should.

For me the purchase price becomes irrelevant the moment the trade is executed that si what I wanted to imply.

-------------

Date Posted: 16/Mar/2008 at 11:31pm

It is bad concentration. Very seldom does a No. 4 in the sector outperform No. 1. It happens when stocks are coming out of a bear market.

-------------

Posted By: kvinodhan
Date Posted: 20/Mar/2008 at 4:50pm
How many stocks does a ideal portfolio should have....

Date Posted: 20/Mar/2008 at 5:04pm
No rules there but 6-10 is good enough in more then 3 industries.

-------------

Posted By: jain208
Date Posted: 20/Mar/2008 at 5:51pm

Very seldom does a No. 4 in the sector outperform No. 1. It happens when stocks are coming out of a bear market.

I beg to differ on that.

Mr. Market doesn't always give right valuation to the leader. I agree that the leader will always get a premium in terms of PE, but it is the valuation gap that should also be looked into. Market leader will definitely not outperform if it is given some crazy valuation and valued on some so-called stories.

Abhishek.

-------------
=======================================
The more it changes, the more it’s the same thing.

Date Posted: 20/Mar/2008 at 6:09pm
Please share some examples where over alonger period of time the No.4 makes more money then a number 1. The wealth should be sustainable not over 3-6 months?

-------------

Posted By: jain208
Date Posted: 20/Mar/2008 at 7:35pm

Please share some examples where over alonger period of time the No.4 makes more money then a number 1. The wealth should be sustainable not over 3-6 months?

One example is Kotak Mahindra bank - It has outperformed ICICI and HDFC bank over the last 5 years.

-------------
=======================================
The more it changes, the more it’s the same thing.

Date Posted: 20/Mar/2008 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by jain208

Very seldom does a No. 4 in the sector outperform No. 1. It happens when stocks are coming out of a bear market.

I beg to differ on that.

Mr. Market doesn't always give right valuation to the leader. I agree that the leader will always get a premium in terms of PE, but it is the valuation gap that should also be looked into. Market leader will definitely not outperform if it is given some crazy valuation and valued on some so-called stories.

Abhishek.

In this market, everything one demands has a premium attached to it. If you decide to stay with leaders you have pay a premium for that. Sometimes thats way too much. One has to price everything and look for mispriced assets.

Sometimes ISPATS of the world do outperform SAIL/TISCO....sometimes Nagrjunas of the world do outperform tata Chemicals. Sometimes Hotel Leelas of the world do outperform the East Indias and Indians....sometimes Reliance Petroleums of the world do outperform Indian Oils, BPCLs, HPCLs, Chennais.

However, I believe one should stick with leaders so long as the valuation remain within reasonable parameters. If SBI becomes way too expensive one shall dump it for an allahabad. One should not mind dumping a prism for a Grasim if the gap increases too much. One shall not mind dumping a voltas or a bluestar for an Alfa Laval if the valuation goes through the roof.

In the end, its all how one wants to play the game. In case I have a stock with a 20+P/E, I will get nightmares all in the night......so at least for me, valuations are the D-word, leadership etc etc. are all secondary.

Date Posted: 20/Mar/2008 at 10:40pm
 One example is Kotak Mahindra bank - It has outperformed ICICI and HDFC bank over the last 5 years

Kotak is not a pure Bank. It flourished in the backdrop of a robust capital market; changing perceptions about brokerage companies and is now feeling the heat as it is down some 60% from its all time high.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Apr/2008 at 9:41am
Excerpts from HBL article...

Portfolio diversification is a much-touted virtue that is often misunderstood

It appears that Markowitz diversification may not be optimal for retail investors, for two reasons.

One, retail investors are “returns maximisers” unlike institutional investors who construct portfolios to match a target return or liability structure within a defined investment horizon. And two, a gradual contraction in investment horizon makes it difficult to construct Markowitz-efficient portfolio.

Given this, retail investors should be more concerned about risk management and style-diversification.

This means that investors need not stack their portfolios with 25 mutual funds or 100 stocks. Perhaps, five different styles of mutual funds or 10-15 stocks could be enough so long as appropriate risk management rules are in place.

Source: http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/iw/2008/04/06/stories/2008040650460700.htm -

-------------

Date Posted: 24/Mar/2009 at 8:44pm
Ek saal hone ko aaya, aur koi diversification-battering nahi......bahut ascharya ki baat hai!!!!!

So guys, whats your take on Diversification vs. Concentartion now!!!!!! Concentration, still better?????

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Posted By: 9StockPortfolio
Date Posted: 24/Mar/2009 at 10:18pm

Ek saal hone ko aaya, aur koi diversification-battering nahi......bahut ascharya ki baat hai!!!!!

So guys, whats your take on Diversification vs. Concentartion now!!!!!! Concentration, still better?????

Concentration is far better than Diversification.

Reason:
Concentration: You focus on 5-6 stocks, understand their business, finances, get to know mgmt, products, dividends.. as if you own the company. Market conditions has no impact on this 'ownership' feeling. whether mkt is down or worst.. you know that your business is intact, it's on it's path. conditions are good, sales is down for a while but foundations are strong. no worries about market.

Diversification: You are betting on 30-40 odd stocks, you never know what are they. You don't know how to track them? you are lazy to read all ARs at the end of year. and after one year or two.. you sell 25 out of 30 because there were wrong selection at first place.

Understand few, bet few & heavily

-------------
Pursuit of Value

Date Posted: 24/Mar/2009 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by 9StockPortfolio

Reason:
Concentration: You focus on 5-6 stocks, understand their business, finances, get to know mgmt, products, dividends.. as if you own the company. Market conditions has no impact on this 'ownership' feeling. whether mkt is down or worst.. you know that your business is intact, it's on it's path. conditions are good, sales is down for a while but foundations are strong. no worries about market.

Diversification: You are betting on 30-40 odd stocks, you never know what are they. You don't know how to track them? you are lazy to read all ARs at the end of year. and after one year or two.. you sell 25 out of 30 because there were wrong selection at first place.

Well, I just dont understand this understanding argument......A doctor understands pharma business the best, does that mean he should only invest in pharma companies. Tell me one stud who has made money in pharma stocks consistently in the last 3-5 years.....

As investors, we have to be opportunists. One should constantly increase the scope of one's understanding....and for that to allow, one has to try newer things in life, meaning try different stocks at different point of time.

I know of quite a few people who were very big advocates of concentartion but are now nowhere to be seen.......To assume that you understand a business well enough to bet on stocks being a part of that sector, is too big a thought, at least for me!!!!!

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Date Posted: 25/Mar/2009 at 2:00pm

Originally posted by 9StockPortfolio

Reason:

Well, I just dont understand this understanding argument......A doctor understands pharma business the best, does that mean he should only invest in pharma companies. Tell me one stud who has made money in pharma stocks consistently in the last 3-5 years.....

As investors, we have to be opportunists. One should constantly increase the scope of one's understanding....and for that to allow, one has to try newer things in life, meaning try different stocks at different point of time.

I know of quite a few people who were very big advocates of concentartion but are now nowhere to be seen.......To assume that you understand a business well enough to bet on stocks being a part of that sector, is too big a thought, at least for me!!!!!

Well lot of discussion has happened on this forum about Understanding Business, Legendary buffet has also written about that..

My concept of understanding is also no different than theirs. I believe i am not here to exit short term.. one of my colleague hold CIPLA since 1992..he bought 5 Shares at 6k each.. now he has 7500 shares..That is faith. That is understanding. whatever he selects, selects after thorough study of the company & It's business. it is just example.. 

-------------
Pursuit of Value

Date Posted: 25/Mar/2009 at 2:29pm
Well, we cannot make exceptions the rule......i can give you examples of investors who have went on buying HFCLs and DSQs of the world on the basis of their faith........

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Date Posted: 25/Mar/2009 at 2:35pm

Cipla was a block buster company in the 90'd not sure what they did then or do not do now that created such kind of shareholder returns.

-------------

Posted By: suyogagrawal
Date Posted: 25/Mar/2009 at 5:23pm
Dear Forum Members,
I had my own portfolio which may be considered concentrated by few as well as dversifeid by others...However i would humbly request the senior members to guid me on my portfolio.Following is the composition of my portfoilo:

Oil&Gas(10%): RIL, CAIRN, RPET
Alternate Energy(22%):SUZLON(12%)(-70%Ouch), Prajind(10%)(-55%)

Telecom(15%): Bharti(-7%), RCOM(-25%)

Cap Goods(11%): EKC(-50%)

Ranbaxy10%(-70%)

PowerUtility:(10%): RPOWEROuch(-60%)

Rest is small holdings: FMCG(ITC)2%,
Gold5%,
JainIrri(5%),
Dishtv(5%)
Uniitech(5%)

These stocks make up around 90% of my portfolio....However looking at the present prices of shares and future projections and also an urge to average out couple of stocks, I am evaluating averaging down Suzlon and Unitech and adding more to Dishtv and Jain Irrigation from the money i have right now.
Seek forum members advice on the portfolio and suggestions. Would be very keen to implement those.

-------------
Difficulty is the excuse history never accepts...

Posted By: rapidriser
Date Posted: 25/Mar/2009 at 7:42am

Cipla was a block buster company in the 90'd not sure what they did then or do not do now that created such kind of shareholder returns.

Dr.Y.K.Hamied is a hands on chemist, and under his leadership Cipla thrived in the pre-IPR regime, when Indian drug producers were allowed to copy any drug molecule as long as they used a different synthesis route. After India accepted the IPR in the late 1990s, this was no longer feasible.

Another reason for the slowdown could be the fact that Dr.Hamied is growing older and since he is unmarried, there is no one to take the company forward. 

Posted By: Hitesh Shah
Date Posted: 15/Jun/2009 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by subu76

Yes...Buffett advices concentration. He talks about buying only 20 stocks for your entire life time.

Portfolio concentration makes absolute sense if one knows what one is doing. Unfortunately, that doesn't apply to me and so I've sought safety in numbers. I've been making a conscious attempt to trim the clutter as I (hopefully) learn more and now 20 stocks make up 70%...

-------------

Posted By: Rbathija
Date Posted: 21/Jun/2009 at 12:15pm
[Basant JI
I am holding in my mutual fund portfolio the following percentage
Giant   27.64
 Large Cap   21.20
 Mid Cap   33.87
 Small Cap   8.55
 Not Classified   8.74
What you suggest should I be holding this holding or get out it, as my buying is BSE sensex 16000 to 18000, now if want to get out have loss of 5 to 10% please advise.

Posted By: vasug78
Date Posted: 23/Jun/2009 at 7:10pm

HI

am new to trading , can any one say which is best website to learm basic glossary like EPS , PE

-------------
stockman

Posted By: rapidriser
Date Posted: 23/Jun/2009 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by vasug78

HI

am new to trading , can any one say which is best website to learm basic glossary like EPS , PE

Try
http://www.investopedia.com/dictionary/default.asp - http://www.investopedia.com/dictionary/default.asp

Posted By: Crimsonarcher
Date Posted: 13/Jul/2009 at 12:30pm
I never understood the point about diversification.. and why should one follow buffet if he advices 4-5 stocks as against 10-20 or even 100...buffet's portfolio investments by the way span over 20 stocks and he too has lost money investing in oil stocks recently.

His main point is are you getting more than what you are putting in...and it has no correlation with concentration or diversification. Why should 1 diversify into 10 stocks when say the owners of ICICI bank are in 1 stock alone and that is ICICI Bank... as long as their ROE is satisfactory in the bank and it keeps doing well, why the need for diversification?

Date Posted: 13/Jul/2009 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Crimsonarcher

I never understood the point about diversification.. and why should one follow buffet if he advices 4-5 stocks as against 10-20 or even 100...buffet's portfolio investments by the way span over 20 stocks and he too has lost money investing in oil stocks recently.

His main point is are you getting more than what you are putting in...and it has no correlation with concentration or diversification. Why should 1 diversify into 10 stocks when say the owners of ICICI bank are in 1 stock alone and that is ICICI Bank... as long as their ROE is satisfactory in the bank and it keeps doing well, why the need for diversification?

Absolutely correct.. I hold not more than 5 stocks as of now..though I am 9StockPortfolio,Tongue

-------------
Pursuit of Value

Posted By: SingleMalt
Date Posted: 15/Jul/2009 at 12:26pm

With the issue of concentrated vs diversified portfolios, my personal experience has been this:

I have always been in favour of concentrated portfolios. Initially, while I had very little capital (equivalent of less than 1 lakh), I had invested only in 3 companies - definitely a concentrated portfolio, right? I was perfectly comfortable with that. The thinking at that time was " I am investing only 30-35K in this one company - the company appears solid, at the worst, I should make market returns". But, in the last few years, the PF has grown significantly. Now, when I look at my portfolio, I am faced with having to invest 1.5 to 2 lakhs in a single stock to maintain my concentrated portfolio. And I found that it was just a simpler decision to invest a portion in an ONGC, ITC, etc.

As you can figure out, I do not have the conviction. Somehow, I am more convinced when I have little to lose Smile, and become a confused wreck when I have everything to lose. Having clarity of though, conviction and level headedness at such times can be priceless. Basant is surely one of the select few who appears to have 'it'.

-------------
If only I knew then what I know now...

Posted By: SingleMalt
Date Posted: 15/Jul/2009 at 12:41pm

5)     Buffet preferred to hold a concentrated portfolio. At one point in time he had put half of his corpus to a single stock “American Express”. 

This is something I keep asking myself. Buffett has invested very large portions of his holding company's AUM into a single company. But these were typically when his holding company (Berkshire Hathaway) was in the small to mid-cap domain (Not to say that such decisions are easy even then). BH more recently was a US $ 300B monster. A hypothetical question: If, right now, he had a chance to invest $200B to take a large stake in a company (ofcourse, it would have to be another monster like Exxon Mobil), would he be willing to do it? The stakes would then be really high.

Something tells me WB just might do it. Now, that would be 'true conviction'.

-------------
If only I knew then what I know now...

Posted By: absolut
Date Posted: 16/Jul/2009 at 4:29pm
Hi All ,

I have always had a fundamentsl question - HOW CONCENTRATED IS CONCENTRATED? 

wont it depend on - 1. Expected return 2. Risk 3 . time frame .

request all to give it a thought , as i am slowly shifting to investing after all the painful trading?

Date Posted: 19/Jul/2009 at 10:48am
More over its also about allocation. You might have 10 stocks in your portfolio but the top 3 account for 80-90% of your portfolio, which might be a good thing if those sectors are expected to out perform. I in fact am totally concentrated on a few stocks. Never felt the need to diversify unless the other stock can give superior returns than my core holding.

Posted By: praveen
Date Posted: 20/Jul/2009 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Crimsonarcher

You are joking right?

I can think of 1000 things which can go wrong with that 1 invesment with disastrous results. Forget companies,event risk is even true for countries. Ever heard of Iceland?

As they say "Ignorance is bliss"

-------------
The quest for knowledge is a never ending Journey

Date Posted: 21/Jul/2009 at 12:10pm
No I'm not joking. With some amount of analysis, you can whittle down the list from 1000 things that can go wrong to maybe 2-3, and with prudent investment those would also be remote. For e.g what are the 1000 things that can go wrong with investing in Coke, Kellogg, HDFC Bank etc..

Print Page | Close Window