Forum Name: Blogs
Forum Discription: Blogs
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3441
Printed Date: 27/Apr/2024 at 1:35pm

Topic: Basant's Corner - Coming Soon
Posted By: basant
Subject: Basant's Corner - Coming Soon
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 1:40pm

Over the next couple of weeks TheEquityDesk will have a new segment titled “Basant’s Corner”.  This will be a premium “subscription” segment and will function independently to the Forum.  In other words the Forum will continue to operate as before whereas this premium stock advisory service can be accessed on payment of a specified charge.

While the Discussion Forum is a storehouse of information on close to 500 companies “Basant’s Corner” will have a sub segmental classification of the companies that I consider worthy from an investment point of view. It will have explicit buy and sell opinion on various companies with logic and reasoning from the way I see it. Most of these stocks will also have targets based on CAGR in earnings and valuation calls and even though those targets are long term in nature I will try and re-visit the thesis on any material change impacting the company’s operations. In this connection we have to understand that looking at the future is a part of an educated guesswork and comes with its own drawbacks.

What do you get in this package?  “Basant’s Corner” will essentially comprise of:

1. a) Basant’s Top Ten

b) Basant’s Universe

c) Current Buy list from (a) and (b) above

d) Market updates 

2) Ask Basant

Here (1) with its four segments will comprise one subscription package whereas  (2) “Ask Basant” will function as a supplementary add on package which one can sign up at the time of registration.

Basant’s Top Ten- This will be the set of ten best investment opportunities that I consider fit from a long term perspective. The list of Basant’s Top Ten will also be updated regularly and subject to changes (additions and deletions) depending on valuations and opportunities. In other words the list of stcoks in this section will be dynamic in nature.

Basant’s Universe – This will be the total set of companies that will be followed in this service. Here I will introduce and track new ideas at reasonably regular intervals (maybe one stock a week) thus taking the total number of stocks to around fifty within one year.  The list of Ten stocks discussed above will be a drawn from “Basant’s Universe” and sometimes returned back. Companies in the Universe will be further segregated into:

ü  Large Cap Blue Chips

ü  Emerging High Growth Companies

ü  Dividend Yield Stocks

ü  Cheap Stocks

ü  Open Offer and De-listing plays

These stocks will be closely followed, monitored, evaluated and appropriate opinions will be issued depending on price and valu ations. 

The Current Buy list: This will consist of those stocks out of Basant's Universe  that are fit for buying at the current market price. This list will change dependinhg on changes in market price or fundamentals - as the case may be.

Market Updates: This will have a list of changes, in the above segments, their archives, market insights and some market talk based on what the Big Boys are reported to be doing.

Why not several different packages? Unlike other advisory services we are not marketing the services by breaking it into different sub-segments. This is because I understand that unless a subscriber makes money he will never come back and trying to sell your services like a Loaf of Bread cut into four pieces with cherry on one and butter on another will do more harm than good. People should be given the entire bouquet of services rather than be made to sign up for it in bits in pieces. Service providers do this to increase volumes and revenues. For instance one of our favourites Titan is a large cap and another Page is a small cap how can I advise one person to buy one of these and the other to buy another. Such strategies will dilute the quality of service and also reduce the proximity of gains. It is with this intent that I have bundled all the stock ideas as one single package.

Why such a large universe of stocks when you always advocate concentration in holdings? Many of you will rightly argue about the need to have anything more than Basant’s Top Ten. That is because I personally have had a portfolio of less than 10 stocks at almost all times during the last decade. The thought behind creating a larger spectrum of ideas is that it provides a whole bouquet of offerings for an investor to choose his stock picks from. All investors need not buy just a handful of companies and it is with that intent that I have decided to have a detailed exhaustive list of companies covering almost all the secular growth stories in India. Also some stocks in the Universe could do better than the stocks in the Top Ten hence people can make informed decisions by looking at my entire stock list.

Ask Basant: This segment will be a Question and answer segment where I intend to take questions and answer them depending on my capability. I am how-ever not inclined on taking academic queries. Questions on prioritizing stock buys and sells, their prospects both within and beyond “Basant’s Universe” are something that will form the cornerstone of this segment.”

What investment strategy is to be followed behind the stock picks? The detailed investment matrix that will decide the nature of stocks behind each of these segments will be put up when we are ready with the launch. In any case the quality of service is something that is for the user to decipher and for that my little history at TheEquityDesk is something that can be set as a benchmark.

How much? The entire package (1 and 2) above should cost you approximately Rs 1250* per month, (this will be charged upfront though). The break-up and other details about the subscription package shall be available when we launch this service.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Replies:
Posted By: itpro
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 1:48pm

Congrats Basant Sir on starting this.

I hope that your contribution to the normal forum doesn't dry down.

Posted By: rdyn
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 1:53pm
Superb Sirji.

Can't wait to see it and sign up

-------------
My aim is to read each and every post on TED!

Posted By: justinvest
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 1:56pm
Congrats Basantji & Hope its a big success.

Posted By: prabhakarkudva
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 1:58pm
Great initiative Basantji. Although i must say you aren't exercising your pricing power to the fullest.

This one's a deep value buy

-------------
Take your chances and keep them in a box until a quieter time.

Posted By: rdyn
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 2:02pm
@prabhakarji, very true

-------------
My aim is to read each and every post on TED!

Posted By: nikrod12
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 2:03pm
Cograts Basantji. It will be a great service. Wish you a lot of success.

Have you paused your plans for PMS or that is in progress too?

Posted By: jagbir
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 2:14pm
A heartily welcome move.

-------------
I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.

Posted By: kumar.umang1
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 2:28pm
Hi Basantji,

Congrats ..good news for a small investor like us !!!Please do keep us informed when and how to avails this service !!

Posted By: RSS4245
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 2:29pm
Congratulations Basant ji, wishing you a great success !!!Thumbs%20Up

-------------
FUNDOOSEARCH

Posted By: tigershark
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 2:43pm
Basant give me the privilege to be your first customer!

-------------
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things

Posted By: shalukat
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 2:43pm
Hi Basantji, Congratulations ! This is great news. I am awaiting eagerly for the launch of this service and will subscribe to the same.
Thanks

-------------
Shalu

Posted By: photon
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 2:46pm
Awesome, looking forward to more details on how to subscribe. At the same time I hope that the rest of the forum maintains the high quality discussions .

Posted By: Shadofax
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 2:46pm
Superb !!! Hope to see a grand success

-------------
$

Posted By: Gurdial
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 2:57pm
Great news Basant ji, will subscribe for sure.

-------------
To be a successful business owner and investor, you have to be emotionally neutral to winning and losing. Winning and losing are just part of the game.

Posted By: Dan_man
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 3:00pm
1st  - The power in heaven introduced me to investing in companies.
2nd - The power in heaven introduced me to TED
3rd - The power in heaven has induced Basantji to invite everyone to go on a joint adventure/hunting party.

Long may this continue.

Posted By: jace48
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 3:03pm
Basant sir, just a thought. Would be possible to keep TED and Basant's corner entirely separate?Like different domain?

Posted By: leo2007
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 3:06pm
Congrats Basant Ji.I will be subscribing. Waiting for the launch of this service

Posted By: Monkey
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 3:34pm

Basantji,

Congratulations for a great initiative. I am sure this will be a great success. Waiting for further details on how to subscribe etc.

Posted By: Kuber
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 4:01pm
Congratulations Basant ji.

Posted By: catchsudipto
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 4:03pm
Basant u can count me also. 

ANY Diwali discount ? Wink

-------------
Make your Life as simple as possible.

Posted By: rajnsharma
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by catchsudipto

Basant u can count me also. 

ANY Diwali discount ? Wink

I would prefer a discount in kind. One good recommendationLOL.

-------------
Wall Street makes money by it's activity, while you can make money by your in-activity - Warren Buffett

Posted By: zulfi
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 4:07pm
great news

Posted By: SK1076
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 4:08pm
Basant ji - Congratulations! I am extremely eager to subscribe............

SK

Originally posted by basant

http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3441&FID=51&PR=3 - [COLOR=#0270b3 - Basant's Corner - Coming Soon[/COLOR -

-------------
Patience PAYS/-

Posted By: smart_prof
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 4:11pm
Greatest News For me since i started following equity desk ......
when is it launching pl start at the earliest!!!!

Posted By: baba
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 4:53pm
Super Duper Sirji.

God bless u for sharing ur knowledge ..

Gr8 effort

-------------
A monthly investment of Rs 500 (Rs 17 per day) for 30 years @21%CAGR can create a wealth of Rs 1.5 crores. !!!

Posted By: gaurav12123
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 4:55pm
gr88 news.

-------------
When I Trade i Try To Earn Infinity.

Posted By: karn
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 4:59pm
just one request. Please also include non credit card payment options. Good luck.

-------------
“Invert, always invert.”

Posted By: DinnuDon
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 5:04pm

Count me in, great :)

-------------
DK

Posted By: alchemyoflife
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 5:12pm

Thanks a lot sir for bringing this idea, we would definitely benefit from this.

Regards,

-------------
Guruprasad

Posted By: prudentinvestor
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 5:15pm
Congratulations Basant ji, wishing you a grand success !!!

-------------
"All you need for a lifetime of successful investing is a few big winners, and the pluses from those will overwhelm the minuses from the stocks that don’t work out..” - Peter Lynch

Posted By: shontou
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 5:43pm
Basant Ji, thanks for this Diwali gift. Looking forward to subscribing.

-------------
Every day, self-proclaimed stock market "experts" tell us why the market just went up or down, as if they really knew. So where were they yesterday?

Posted By: shri1074
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 6:03pm
I joined equity desk ten months back . After reading few of Basantji's post, I immediately asked him if he provides recommendation service.

After spending more time on Equitydesk , I realized equitydesk is not only baout recommendations. That is a small part.

It seems more of us must have asked him same question and he has finally not only started it but agreed to give much more.

Reading Equitydesk is like taking bachlor's degree in investing. With this new initiative (especially "Ask Basant forum" ) , we can hope to become master investors.

Posted By: aniljain
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 6:13pm

Congratulations Basantji
Thumbs%20Up

Quote for you-
"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Thanks

-------------
Investment is an art, not science

Posted By: vijaygawde
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by tigershark

Basant give me the privilege to be your first customer!

and me Second Smile

-------------
Diversification is protection against ignorance, it makes little sense for those who know what they’re doing.

Posted By: submariner
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 6:38pm
Basant, a great move. Looking forward to partake of a future harvest.

Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 6:43pm
Looks like this 'offer that you can't refuse' has turned a lot of passive guest visitors into members

-------------

Posted By: hit2710
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by prabhakarkudva

This one's a deep value buy

Couldnt agree more.

It would be a blessing for retail investors who are looking for reliable advisory services and that too at very affordable rates. This would be a service with a difference.

Congrats basantji.

-------------
Stockmarket is a weird place. For every person who buys a stock there is a person who sells it and both think they are very smart.

Posted By: Kautilya
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 7:24pm
Thank you very much Sir. I am looking forward for the service to get started.

-------------
My indecision is final.

Posted By: kailasp4u
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 7:50pm
Interesting! Smile So I am interested!

-------------
knp

Posted By: Ravenrage
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 7:52pm
Will have to wait a little , before I can pay it .

-------------
Risk does not reside in price changes, but in miscalculations of intrinsic value .

Posted By: tejas.k
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 8:16pm
congrats basantji.  never really paid any attention to the subscription based services.  but i know this one will be different. looking forward to it

Posted By: Jaishrikrishna
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 8:17pm
As Always: A DIWALI DHAMAKA ANNOUNCEMENT

HAPPY DIWALI BASANTJEE AND ALL FELLOW TEDDIES.

-------------
Don't Buy and Hold, Buy and Homework / Fish see the bait,but not the hook; Men see the profit, but not the peril.

Posted By: Dan_man
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 8:35pm

Taking the other side of argument- The response really shows how people rather be told what to do ...than use their head.

However it is also good we learn from experienced heads so we dont do the mistakes  they had committed earlier in the journey.

Advice and tips coming from Masters who have gone around the block are worth far more than so called "Research Analysts or MBA's reccomendations.

as always- Long may it continue.

Posted By: paulinasu
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 9:31pm
Thankyou Basantji for the wonderful initiative which Iam sure will help small investors like me... Eagerly awaiting for the formal launch of the service.

Posted By: atulbull
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 9:31pm
Congratulations to basantji and all the tedies .Thanks a lot basantji for this wonderful diwali gift ,please give me the privelege to be among your first ten customers.

Posted By: Sushanth
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 9:37pm
Thanks Basant Sir for the initiative.

-------------
Thanks and Regards,
Sushanth

Posted By: FutureBull
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 9:43pm
Great leap Basantji!! best wishes for your new venture.

I might be jumping the gun but I just feel that you would have to take care of the conflict of interest between these two sites. You would have to take care of Copyright protection.

-------------
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.

Posted By: bharti
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 10:47pm

Thanks Basantji - I think you have selected a very right business idea - what you are proposing is what is the need of all of us(I believe)!  Count me in.  Also, thanks for keeping the costs competitive, I think  this will further ensure followers who have high integrity and loyalty towards you.

Posted By: vijayM
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 11:17pm
Excellent offer Basant ji. Count me in.

I request you not to dilute TED because of this since TED is based on the philosophy of collective wisdom.

-------------
If a business does well, the stock eventually follows:Warren Buffett

Posted By: Kabootar
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 11:19pm
Sir,
The service will be premium but let the pricing be as un-premium as possible :))

-------------
Verbal diarrhoea! A most deadly disease.

Posted By: abadhya
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 12:14pm
That's Buzz of the day, Dear Basantji!! It's a perfect Win-Win for both of us, because that way you would also feel comfort to devote full time to forum and users who want to learn and earn a lot and do not want to miss next rally, and it's great for us as we would get you as our Mentor and Financial Adviser. Wishing best for its grand success!

Posted By: DennisTheMinace
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 12:46pm
Bravo! Basant ji! Great initiative. Wishing you all the very best!!!

-------------
When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

Posted By: positron
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 1:48am
Basant Ji, Please count me in. I can confidently say that you would be making a difference to many lives by sharing your knowledge. Respect and Regards,

Posted By: FutureBull
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 7:30am
wow! it has become tipping point for all the fence sitters

-------------
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.

Posted By: DHIRAJKANT
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 7:40am
basant ji,
Ab logo ka paisa banega.

Posted By: ramsey123
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 9:08am
Originally posted by FutureBull

wow! it has become tipping point for all the fence sitters

I would like to be the prophet here and point back to my prophecy to say "I told you so" -
http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=177&KW=&FID=42&PR=3&PID=168241#168241 - http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=177&KW=&FID=42&PR=3&PID=168241#168241

Basantji, I'm really happy with your announcement. Needless to say that you can count me in. Are you issuing shares as well Smile?

Regards,
Ram.

Posted By: satish23
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 9:40am
thanks basant sir, great news for me.

Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 9:57am
Thank you everyone! Personally I was a bit reluctant to get this through because for some reason it looked a bit embarrassing for me to come out with a commercial arrangement that could in some way compete with TheEquityDesk but then I thought that if I can have a structure that adds real value to people as they get access to my opinions and also my investment bets it should be a product/service with some difference.

Apart from the views on this thread I have also received several phone calls and emails from people who are on TED and for some reason are hiding their identity. The response has left me overwhelmed.

The "Ask Basant" section is cumbersome as I would have to respond to queries but I thought that without that it would have been difficult to supplement my thoughts and opinions. Hence inspite of the issues of responding to questions I took this up because without that the other part looked a bit unfinished.

About the PMS, it is in the pipeline but some distance away but that at the moment I am too much focused on "Basant's Corner".

I hope to be of even more assistance to you all then I have been through the forum.

Thank you again.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: rohit1889
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 11:29am
basant jee,
"Basant's Corner" will be like Peter Lynch, WB and RJ combined giving us successful investment ideas. Tongue Tongue
TongueI just hope, TED forum doesn't get deprived of your valuable opinion on certain topics that Teddies put forward as you'll be totally busy in "Basant's Corner" Cry. Waiting eagerly for your advisory service.

Posted By: Cherio
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2011 at 11:52am
"Great decision Basantji"
I am sure this will be a "Super Service" a not to be missed opportunity for people like us who need someone Proven,Genuine,Respected to guide us through our investment journey.
The timing is also right.

-------------
JFK

Date Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 12:03pm

I am just thinking of impact. Anything recommended by Basantji will get overpriced in no time, especially if normal volumes are not much. Anyways, it will be like unintended consequences.

Posted By: learning2learn
Date Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 12:05pm
sirji

-------------
Uncertainty is the only certainty there is, and knowing how to live with insecurity is the only security - John Allen Paulos

Date Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 2:55pm

Thank you everyone! Personally I was a bit reluctant to get this through because for some reason it looked a bit embarrassing for me to come out with a commercial arrangement that could in some way compete with TheEquityDesk but then I thought that if I can have a structure that adds real value to people as they get access to my opinions and also my investment bets it should be a product/service with some difference.

Apart from the views on this thread I have also received several phone calls and emails from people who are on TED and for some reason are hiding their identity. The response has left me overwhelmed.

The "Ask Basant" section is cumbersome as I would have to respond to queries but I thought that without that it would have been difficult to supplement my thoughts and opinions. Hence inspite of the issues of responding to questions I took this up because without that the other part looked a bit unfinished.

About the PMS, it is in the pipeline but some distance away but that at the moment I am too much focused on "Basant's Corner".

I hope to be of even more assistance to you all then I have been through the forum.

Thank you again.

I have one worry.... it should not happen that the discussion which are happening on the equity desk would shift to the thread within Basan't corner. I am sure lot of good people will subscribe to basant's corner and will start putting in the comments there. So in a way equitydesk will suffer.. because over the time they will not put comments at both the places. I know you must have thought of it... because both of them are your baby... :)

One option could be opening up the old thread from the Basant's corner after some delay...

Posted By: catchsudipto
Date Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 3:04pm
which are happening on the equity desk would shift to the thread within Basan't corner.
---------------------
It could happen.
But guys we have to understand one very simple thing. To maintain equity desk basant is paying lots of money from his own pocket over these years'.
Most of us have benefited from equity desk and i feel its our moral duty now to share the cost of at least maintaining equity desk so that we can benefit from equity desk for a long long time.

-------------
Make your Life as simple as possible.

Posted By: Sushanth
Date Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 3:45pm
Basant Sir, Hope you will continue to answer the academic questions as well.. ( either in Basant's Corner or in TED -I will be part of both Smile )

-------------
Thanks and Regards,
Sushanth

Date Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 4:47pm
Please do not worry. It shall be my endeavour to see that both the formats run side by side just that the specifics of Basant's Corner will be the USP of that format.

-------------

Date Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by catchsudipto

which are happening on the equity desk would shift to the thread within Basan't corner.
---------------------
It could happen.
But guys we have to understand one very simple thing. To maintain equity desk basant is paying lots of money from his own pocket over these years'.
Most of us have benefited from equity desk and i feel its our moral duty now to share the cost of at least maintaining equity desk so that we can benefit from equity desk for a long long time.

Precisely the point, one solution would be to make TED a paid forum with minimal annual membership charges. I guess that would be fine for everybody who is serious about discussions here.

Even if the stock specific discussions move to new threads in Basant's Corner people would be discussing some of them in their respective portfolio threads as well.

So over time this would reduce further and TED will be left to academic discussions only.

-------------
"All you need for a lifetime of successful investing is a few big winners, and the pluses from those will overwhelm the minuses from the stocks that don’t work out..” - Peter Lynch

Posted By: bobdylan
Date Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 5:45pm
Congratulations Mr.Basant on the new initiative.
I agree with the suggestion of prudent investor,TED can be a paid site with reasonable membership fees which can accomodate students and others who cannot afford the membership fees of Basants corner,the quality of discussions here are due to the wide participation and im sure lot of participants would move to the new site.The serious members from all walks would subscribe to TED, and would like to upkeep the quality of TED.Mr.Basants views,thoghts and experience would guide us on the universe of stocks discussed ,

Just another thought from my past experiences with PMS,people react negatively when the stock prices go down,stocks amy go down for reasons beyond fundamentals ,and then people react very negatively,lot of people dont have patience.its ok if it consists of people u know and trust ur instincts.I still like the existing format with an open discussion .

Posted By: Shawshank
Date Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 6:57pm
I hope you will release the list of Top Ten for free. There are many people out there in this forum who cannot afford that kind of pricing.

You can charge for the Analysis and Q&A section.

Posted By: paps3535
Date Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 7:11pm
Sir,Wishing you best luck for this new venture.Keep rocking..

Posted By: learner007.1
Date Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 11:45pm
Dear Basant,

Count me in !

Posted By: Kabootar
Date Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 12:23pm
Basantji,
please bring back the equity desk XI, or something like it....

-------------
Verbal diarrhoea! A most deadly disease.

Posted By: wiseowl
Date Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Shawshank

There are many people out there in this forum who cannot afford that kind of pricing.

The paid subscription works out to 15k per year. Assuming that this is equivalent of asset management fee of 3%, anyone hoping to invest less than 5 lakhs a year is bound to find it expensive.

-------------
You alone are responsible for your actions.

Posted By: LearningToFly
Date Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 11:12am
It is not a question of affording 1200 Rs per month. All of us can afford it. I mean we spend this much when we go for drink. Isn't it. It is just that in case of investing, we have been habituated to get free and wrong nonsense by every tom, dick, and harry. How many of us really think twice before paying 200 bucks for a useless movie.

1200 Rs a month from Basantji is very reasonable. Do not forget the lessons we learn from him. The PMS advisers do not give you lesson.

-------------
Success... at all cost.

Date Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 11:23am
Originally posted by LearningToFly

It is not a question of affording 1200 Rs per month. All of us can afford it. I mean we spend this much when we go for drink. Isn't it. It is just that in case of investing, we have been habituated to get free and wrong nonsense by every tom, dick, and harry. How many of us really think twice before paying 200 bucks for a useless movie.

1200 Rs a month from Basantji is very reasonable. Do not forget the lessons we learn from him. The PMS advisers do not give you lesson.

Well.........one needs to anyway pay about 2% as fee to mutual funds, just for passive investing. If one wants to aspire for active investing, one needs to be prepared to pay more than just 2%.

Besides, learning is priceless. I will anyday prefer to pay to learn how to fish rather thn getting fish free.

This fee of Rs. 1250/- per month is actually very cheap, given the quality. I was quite surprised at such low charges.

Date Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 11:33am

Kindly note that nobody is questioning the prices as being unreasonable. As pointed out earlier this is in fact a bargain given the quality and exposure Basant ji will provide to the subscribers to this service.

There are students/ minor investors whose perspective may be more academic and for them spending upfront 15K ( and not monthly 1250/- )  to avail the service may not be feasible.

As pointed out, if your invest able surplus is less than 5 lakhs, paying more than 3% in charges will eat up one's returns substantially.

For people without substantial free cash flows, spending 200 bucks once a while for movies may not be substantial but paying 15000 bucks for advisory will be.

-------------

Date Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 11:37am
This is all about capitalism and free markets isn't it? What about someone managing a Rs 1 crore portfolio and getting subscribed for this? It cuts both ways.

-------------

Posted By: hit2710
Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 12:20pm
I have had a lot of experience of subscriptions to a variety of services before I joined TED and they charge minimum of Rs 3000 onwards for services and provide absolutely garbage services. I dont know if I am allowed to name these services on the forum.

So BM charging around 1250 per month is absolutely a no brainer as his credentials have been proven on this forum since a long time.

-------------
Stockmarket is a weird place. For every person who buys a stock there is a person who sells it and both think they are very smart.

Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by prudentinvestor

Kindly note that nobody is questioning the prices as being unreasonable. As pointed out earlier this is in fact a bargain given the quality and exposure Basant ji will provide to the subscribers to this service.

There are students/ minor investors whose perspective may be more academic and for them spending upfront 15K ( and not monthly 1250/- )  to avail the service may not be feasible.

As pointed out, if your invest able surplus is less than 5 lakhs, paying more than 3% in charges will eat up one's returns substantially.

For people without substantial free cash flows, spending 200 bucks once a while for movies may not be substantial but paying 15000 bucks for advisory will be.

In my opinion, it is all about geting the priorities right, especially if one does not have great income. If investible surplus is less than 5 lacs and monthly savings is not substantial then it is all the more important to get quality advise and get biggest possible bang for the buck. 3% might look expensive compared to investible funds. However, outperformance one can achieve with high quality advise can more than compensate for that.

Besides, "no free cash flow" argument is often spacious, in my opinion. I have seen young people spending more than Rs. 1000/- in just one night. Just have a look at mobile phones they carry. If they can carry expensvie handsets, wear expensive branded cloths and still does not have free cash flow, it is their problem. In urban life style, most of the prople have opportunity to cut some expenses somewhere to generate some surplus to be deployed for long term wealth creation.

If someone does not have any scope of cutting the expenses and income is just about meeting expenses then that is serious issue. In such case, one needs to seriousy think about ways to increase income, may be changing the job, may be doing something like part time tution etc to generate some surplus. In such cases, investing takes back seat compared to income generation.

Posted By: kailasp4u
Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 12:41pm
If someone compares it to Mutual Fund, which charges 2-2.5% as annual fund management fees, someone investing more than 6lacs in an year should not have problem subscribing to this service, provided he takes bets as advised without thinking otherwise on the advise offered. And performance would be surely better than the best MF or index.

-------------
knp

Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 12:43pm
I guess we are digressing a bit from the agenda.

It is clearly evident that Basant ji is sharing his acumen and expertise at Basant's Corner at monthly charges which are at deep discount. There is no debate regarding this.

The main issue raised yesterday was the future relevance of stock based discussions on TED as most people will shift to Basant's Corner and will not discuss stocks anymore on TED.

In this regard, can we explore a subscription based paid forum model for TED with reasonable annual charges which would recover operating costs for the forum as well keep TED limited to the perspective of only serious investors and keep it open for stock based and academic discussions.

-------------

Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 12:46pm

Affordability is different question for every one.

Please don't club it with giving 1200 rs a month to Basantji... I am sure everyone will agree that he has done a much greater work than this.... So there is no question of giving or not giving.....

It is a question of the modalities... e.g. Open source software vs Proprietary

Will it affect the great forum which is created vs a private forum.

Moreover in India lot of people have not started investing... I do refer people to this site who consider equity as no-no. So it is great education forum to educate and help people improve there lives through informed investment opportunity.

Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 12:48pm
As in most endeavors in life including investing its better to be optimistic and see the glass as half full.

For every one person who cannot afford the service there will be five who can. Lets be happy about that.

Also to give you a personal anecdote - when i joined TED i was a student and i probably could not have afforded such a service.But its because of TED that today i am in a position to afford it. So if someone is really inclined they can read and re-read the treasure trove that are the TED archives and very soon get to a position where they can not only afford the service but importantly be in a position to appreciate the advice, see the rationales and if their mind agrees only then actually apply it rather than blindly following the advice on borrowed conviction which could be perturbing especially during uncertain and volatile times.

-------------

Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 1:31pm

Thank you again.

Basant ji this is the greatest idea >i dont know abt anyones benefit it will definetely benfit me in making large amount of wealth over another 15-20 years or so also i intend to use most of that wealth for charitable causes.as per your policy size of the investible p>folio doesnot matter only % returns matter ......

Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 1:39pm
Basantji,

You will be doing a great service ....
because if some one had something specific abt a particular buis and he wanted to ask personally that was not at all poss( only in terms of suiatable price to buy a buis) >

here there will be more scope of getting the answers without even asking the question.

sir when exactly u are starting it i think deepawali will be perfect time to start .

Posted By: omshivaya
Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 1:55pm
The charges that Basant ji has mentioned are absolutely okay for the "Basant's Corner", especially since he has given a lot in the past to the TEDdies.

People who cannot afford it, should try to get a job(part-time or full-time) and then try to pay for the wisdom that Basant jee provides. Nothing in life comes free! Think of the payment as tuition fees.

I hope I have not hurt anyone with my comments. If I have, sorry...but just wanted to share my feelings!

-------------
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it

Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 2:08pm
Smart prof: Thank you. It should be up latest by next weekend.

-------------

Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 2:28pm
basant: Smart prof: Thank you. It should be up latest by next weekend Wow, Exciting time coming..This Diwali is going to be great for us when we actually do Laxmi Puja by Investing..I am feeling lucky as got fantastic Mentors in My Life..

Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 2:43pm
Read My Last Comment as (Not able to Edit :-():---> [QUOTE=basant]Smart prof: Thank you. It should be up latest by next weekend [/QUOTE] Wow, Exciting time coming..This Diwali is going to be great for us when we actually do Laxmi Puja by Investing..I am feeling lucky as got fantastic Mentors in My Life..

Posted By: leo2007
Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 2:52pm
I hope there will be a non credit card payment option. I don't have a credit card.

Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 3:00pm
Basantji, please have online bank transfers as one of the payment options. I do not have a credit card as well :-(

-------------
Shalu

Posted By: somu0915
Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 3:01pm
I will add my two cents:

1. This move is most welcome.

2. Please keep the option to pay monthly as well as semi annually and annually. This will cater to all types of investors and communities. Many of small new investors to this forum may be skeptical to pay right away, and with monthly option they literally get to see what they are paying for.

3. As sugested by leo above, please keep payment options flexible.

4. I also have a suggestion to make - One move maybe to add few highlights of the section discussed in premium section to the general TED section per quarter. This maynot include stock selection but few highlights of healthy discussion within the premium section. This will keep the normal section also interesting. There should be noted that TED is becoming popular now since Basantji went on TV. There should be many other new investors visiting this section.

Posted By: somu0915
Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by somu0915

I will add my two cents:

1. This move is most welcome.

2. Please keep the option to pay monthly as well as bi-annually and annually. This will cater to all types of investors and communities. Many of small new investors to this forum may be skeptical to pay right away, and with monthly option they literally get to see what they are paying for. On the other hand, paying every month is cumbersome for regular TEDies and bi-annually and annually seem the best option for them

3. As sugested by leo above, please keep payment options flexible.

4. I also have a suggestion to make - One move maybe to add few highlights of the section discussed in premium section to the general TED section per quarter. This maynot include stock selection but few highlights of healthy discussion within the premium section. This will keep the normal section also interesting. There should be noted that TED is becoming popular now since Basantji went on TV. There should be many other new investors visiting this section.

Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by leo2007

I hope there will be a non credit card payment option. I don't have a credit card.

Personally even I do not carry a credit card I hold only debit cards!!! Payment options are flexible cheque drop in, cash deposits, net banking, debit cards etc but since most of the stocks that we will introduce and discuss in Basant's Corner will be essentially long term we will go with the annual payment mode only - to start with.

-------------

Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 3:16pm
Excellent !! Thanks a million.

-------------
Shalu

Posted By: vijayM
Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 3:24pm

Personally even I do not carry a credit card I hold only debit cards!!! Payment options are flexible cheque drop in, cash deposits, net banking, debit cards etc but since most of the stocks that we will introduce and discuss in Basant's Corner will be essentially long term we will go with the annual payment mode only - to start with.

I prefer net banking for payment and annual option. I am eager to know by what date you are starting with this.Smile

-------------
If a business does well, the stock eventually follows:Warren Buffett

Posted By: zulfi
Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 4:12pm
start as early as possible ,

Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 4:34pm
Basanji,

I request you to keep credit card as one of the payment options. That is the most convenient mode of payment for person living out of India like me.

Posted By: BIKRAM
Date Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 4:36pm
Basant ji,

Top 10 picks would be provided in One go or on monthly basis from 50 top stock picks.

Since the person who joins you in the beginning would be more benefitted than the ones who joins later.

Please elaborate.

Print Page | Close Window