Print Page | Close Window

Basant Sir on CNBC TV-18 !

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Market Strategies
Forum Name: Buffet, Lynch and other legends - Investing Strategies
Forum Discription: DIscuss about the strategies followed by the great investors. Share an idea which would have impressed the masters. Try and bring their International experience into the Indian Markets.
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3329
Printed Date: 27/Apr/2024 at 1:06pm

Topic: Basant Sir on CNBC TV-18 !
Posted By: values
Subject: Basant Sir on CNBC TV-18 !
Date Posted: 17/Jul/2011 at 10:25am
GUYS,

I am seeing Basant Jee RIGHT NOW on CNBC . WOW. Thats just great Basantji....Loved hearing you on TV.

-------------
Knowledge is power!

Replies:
Posted By: Jaishrikrishna
Date Posted: 17/Jul/2011 at 10:25am
BASANT JEE ON CNBC, LIVE NOW 9.55 A.M. IST, WOW, THE TED GOES LIVE NOW

-------------
Don't Buy and Hold, Buy and Homework / Fish see the bait,but not the hook; Men see the profit, but not the peril.

Posted By: paragdesai
Date Posted: 17/Jul/2011 at 10:34am
Good to see you Basantji on TV.  ClapClapClap

-------------
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity ....

Posted By: breeze
It was nice to see Basant on CNBC TV-18 live, hope to more often hence forth, congradulations!

Originally posted by Jaishrikrishna

BASANT JEE ON CNBC, LIVE NOW 9.55 A.M. IST, WOW, THE TED GOES LIVE NOW

-------------
You just have to be opportunistic, and try to figure out what creates value.. where the bottom is, what creates incremental value,
and in what combinations" John Malone

Posted By: tigershark
had the privilege of seeing the above., i dont pay much attention to the sound coming from the channel , but this sound sounded very familiar.congratulations

-------------
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things

Posted By: Vamsee
Date Posted: 17/Jul/2011 at 10:37am
Saw Basant ji just now live on CNBC TV 18.
Congrats Basant ji

-------------
May you live in interesting times
               -- Ancient Chinese Curse

Posted By: Gurdial
Date Posted: 17/Jul/2011 at 10:43am
Dashed from my preflight briefing,only managed to catch the last 30 sec. Hopely there would be a link of it on moneycontrol.

-------------
To be a successful business owner and investor, you have to be emotionally neutral to winning and losing. Winning and losing are just part of the game.

Posted By: prabhakarkudva
Date Posted: 17/Jul/2011 at 10:46am
This is HUGE! Boss on CNBC.Missed it but Congratulations Basantji. Will find the link rightaway.

-------------
Take your chances and keep them in a box until a quieter time.

Posted By: j2eeprofessiona
Date Posted: 17/Jul/2011 at 10:47am
Kudos to the master.... i really enjoyed the show, had the priviledge of seeing it live... excellent confidence and conviction shown in the arguments. i am honestly mighty impressed.. congress....

Posted By: leo2007
Date Posted: 17/Jul/2011 at 10:50am
I missed it. Cry

Posted By: datta.supratik
Date Posted: 17/Jul/2011 at 10:51am
Sirjee was on tv today!! Very nice interview Basantji on holdings companies. Clear picture with example and data points.

It was great to see you on tv!! I am out of words to explain my surprise.

Regards
Supratik

Posted By: MR TED
Date Posted: 17/Jul/2011 at 10:54am
I didn't know Basantji comes on CNBC! Request Basantji to please inform the time and date of his TV appearances, if possible, somewhere on TED. Do not want to miss it again Smile

Posted By: leo2007
Date Posted: 17/Jul/2011 at 10:57am
Basant ji, If there is a repeat telecast, please let us know.

Posted By: rdyn
Date Posted: 17/Jul/2011 at 11:25am
I missed it. Anyway to access archives or a repeat telecast planned anytime?

Did anybody record it or put it on Youtube?

-------------
My aim is to read each and every post on TED!

Posted By: basant
Date Posted: 17/Jul/2011 at 11:30am
Thank you all for your generous wishes. Actually the topic had to be made interesting and I am happy that you guys liked it.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: datta.supratik
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 12:00pm
I wish CNBC could give a little bit of more time. We could make out that Sirjee had a lot of points to make but he had to rush through. But as said earlier I am speechless!!

Regards
Supratik

Posted By: values
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by rdyn

I missed it. Anyway to access archives or a repeat telecast planned anytime?

Did anybody record it or put it on Youtube?

Rdyn

I tried to send you a PM but your mail box if full. You can probably find an excerpt of Basantji's interview in the evening when Udayan hosts the market wrapup show. If not I think it will be on Moneycontrol by tomorrow.

-------------
Knowledge is power!

Posted By: aniljain
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 12:07pm

ClapClapClap गुरूजी तुसी  ग्रेट हो !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

-------------
Investment is an art, not science

Posted By: CHINKI
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by basant

Thank you all for your generous wishes. Actually the topic had to be made interesting and I am happy that you guys liked it.
If you had known about the interview schedule earlier, you could have informed us.

There are few people who don't watch CNBC at all. You made us to miss your interview

-------------
TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST, BUT TOUGH PEOPLE DO

Posted By: Monkey
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 12:12pm

I missed it. Which show it was?

Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by CHINKI

There are few people who don't watch CNBC at all.

+1.

For once i am regretting not watching that channel.

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 12:19pm

If you had known about the interview schedule earlier, you could have informed us.

There are few people who don't watch CNBC at all. You made us to miss your interview

Chinki ji, you can always watch me speak at your home in Bangalore! But on a more serious note I found it a bit embarrassing to blow my own trumpet and say "Please switch on the TV to see me there".

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: vijaygawde
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 12:20pm
....Missed it Cry

Someone please post the link asap. If anyone has recorded, upload it on youtube.

-------------
Diversification is protection against ignorance, it makes little sense for those who know what they’re doing.

Posted By: RSS4245
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 12:29pm
Congratulations Basant jee...great to see you on TV !!!
Please inform us in advance about such programmes in future...perhaps we can find some more Hawkins there..Wink 

-------------
FUNDOOSEARCH

Posted By: smartcat
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 12:32pm
I switched on the TV about 2 minutes before Basant was on it.

So, Basant - Is this going to be a regular feature? Or only when you happen to visit Mumbai?

What is the feedback you received from CNBC guys?

Posted By: CHINKI
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 12:33pm

Chinki ji, you can always watch me speak at your home in Bangalore!
Are bhai, that time I am next to you. Here you are sitting next to Udyan or Mithali

-------------
TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST, BUT TOUGH PEOPLE DO

Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 12:52pm
This was from their Kolkata Studio. It seems to be gone down well from the feedback that I have received but in this industry the  audience is the king not the actor(s)!Smile

Originally posted by smartcat

So, Basant - Is this going to be a regular feature? Or only when you happen to visit Mumbai?

-------------

Posted By: vijaygawde
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 12:53pm
Here is the Link Clap

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/marketoutlook/checkouttheequitydeskcomsviewsonholdingcos_566277.html - http://Check out: TheEquityDesk.com's views on holding cos

-------------
Diversification is protection against ignorance, it makes little sense for those who know what they’re doing.

Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 12:53pm
Here's the link : http://www.moneycontrol.com/video/market-outlook/check-out-theequitydeskcoms-viewsholding-cos_566277.html

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 12:55pm

will this be a regular feature, and can yu choose the topics?

-------------
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things

Posted By: rdyn
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 1:04pm
@Vijaygawde & @prabhakarkudva,

Thanks both !

-------------
My aim is to read each and every post on TED!

Posted By: Gurdial
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by prabhakarkudva

Here's the link : http://www.moneycontrol.com/video/market-outlook/check-out-theequitydeskcoms-viewsholding-cos_566277.html

Thanks man for the link.

-------------
To be a successful business owner and investor, you have to be emotionally neutral to winning and losing. Winning and losing are just part of the game.

Posted By: aniljain
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 1:08pm
@Vijaygawde & @prabhakarkudva,

Thanks both  for link !

-------------
Investment is an art, not science

Posted By: smartcat
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 1:14pm

This was from their Kolkata Studio. It seems to be gone down well from the feedback that I have received but in this industry the  audience is the king not the actor(s)!

They have an office in Kolkata? This is excellent!

Hey, if you want to be popular with the audience, I have a tip for you - Just use the words "stop loss", "support levels", "resistance" etc in every statement you make!

Posted By: nikhil090
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 1:28pm

This was from their Kolkata Studio. It seems to be gone down well from the feedback that I have received but in this industry the  audience is the king not the actor(s)!Smile

Congratulations Basantjee. Saw the interview. You were very well prepared for this. It seems "big boys" are noticing you and TED !!! 

I hope things are going to be more interesting in the future.

PS: You look different than the 5 year old photograph. 

Posted By: ash7979
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 1:29pm

This was from their Kolkata Studio. It seems to be gone down well from the feedback that I have received but in this industry the  audience is the king not the actor(s)!

They have an office in Kolkata? This is excellent!

Hey, if you want to be popular with the audience, I have a tip for you - Just use the words "stop loss", "support levels", "resistance" etc in every statement you make!

If they dont have any studio, still they make some place as studio & can take you live from your home location (you dont have to travel to Mumbai to come on TV nowadays!!!)

Once my Father also came on CNBC Awaaz as investor & they have arranged that interview from Bhopal  from his broker office itself!!!

-------------
Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free....

Posted By: SanaAH
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 1:30pm
Sir,
Pls inform teddies in advance next time you come on TV. I would not like to miss it again.

Regards,

Posted By: atulbull
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 1:38pm
Congratulations  Basantji,
missed the show,but thanks to prabhakarji and vijayji have read
the transcripts ,it's simply great news ,all the members of TED
are famous now.

-------------
Price is what you pay.Value is what you get.

Posted By: zulfi
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 1:44pm
sir i saw your interview on cnbc , bit surprised to c u on tv

Posted By: nikrod12
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 1:46pm
congrats Basantji..Smile. I missed the show too. Will watch the video. Thanks guys for the link.

Posted By: bhowman
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 3:03pm
Congratulations, Mr Basant Ji
I saw your full interview with Udayan and Mithali.
The moment I saw the description Mr' Basant Maheswari-The Equity desk.com' I was flabbergasted.
WOH,Am I seeing Basant Ji?,I wondered.
You are completely different in appearance from the photograph we see every day.
Hope we can see you more often on CNBC TV 18 hereafter.

-------------
That which is so far is actually so near.

Posted By: commnman
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 3:04pm
Had the pleasure of listening to Basant Sir on CNBC TV-18...

TheEquityDesk.com's views on holding cos

Some of the holding companies have been buzzing off-late. In an interview with CNBC-TV18, Basant Maheshwari, investor and founder, TheEquityDesk.com said, he would suggest buying those holding companies whose subsidiaries are not listed. “Buy those companies where the earnings get consolidated, the subsidiary pays dividend and holding company has a majority holding,” he added.

A holding company is a company that owns other companies' outstanding stock. It usually refers to a company which does not produce goods or services itself, its purpose is to own shares of other companies.

Below is the transcript of his interview with Udayan Mukherjee and Mitali Mukherjee of CNBC-TV18. Also watch the accompanying videos.

Q: What is your top undervalued name in this holding company list? Most of them trade with a big discount to their intrinsic value, but which one is top of your list?

A: There is an unwritten rule in investing, ‘investors make money in a cheap stock only when the cheap stock becomes expensive.’ Most of these holding companies go up for a year or two quarters and then they fizzle out. I will give a list of examples both from India as well as internationally.

Williamson Magor and Company has gone up a bit now. It holds stake in Kilburn Engineering . But if you had bought the stock in 2006 attempting to be a bit smart like all of us are in the market, it was available at Rs 45. For the last five years, it has given us a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.4%, less than a bond market CAGR, Let us take example of Maharashtra Scooters. It trades at discount of 70%, it holds Bajaj Auto . Had we bought it in 1994, it was available at almost at the same price it is available right now, so you get a 2% CAGR there.

You have got Tata Investments , a listed value at Rs 900, post tax value of investment at Rs 790, available 40% down, you can buy that. You can buy Bajaj Holding with market value of investments at Rs 18,000 crore, and a market cap of Rs 8,500 crore. But the problem with these companies is that the discount tends to remain.

My argument is that if you are bullish on Bajaj Auto, it is better to buy Bajaj Auto rather than buy Maharashtra Scooters. If you are bullish on Kilburn Engineering or McLeod Russell then go and buy those stocks, don’t buy Williamson Magor. You will make money in one-two-three-four months. But if you hold it for a long period of time, it won’t make money.

There are some international examples as well. There are several examples right from Russia to South America where the holding company stays at a discount. That discount doesn’t tend to go away. So, if you are playing for the discount, it’s incorrect because the discount will remain there. For example, AFK systems holds a stake in Russian Mobile Operator MTS and few other operating businesses as well. That is also trading at a discount 15-20%.

There is one Nortel Inversora listed in NYSE, the ticker name is NTL, that is also trading at a 50% discount, even though it consolidates earnings from its subsidiaries. Carso Global Telecom holds Telmex. Telmex pays huge dividends, but Carso Global still trades at a discount of 5%.

The key in this is to buy those companies where the earnings get consolidated. Secondly, the subsidiary pays dividend and thirdly they have a majority holding. Majority in the sense you hold more than 51% either in terms of shareholding or either in terms of voting rights. But if you want to buy minority investments holding companies, normally in a bull market the discount will narrow and in the bear market the discounts will widen, but over a period of 5-10-15 years you won’t make a lot of money.

There is one example which has done very well. Godrej Industries , it has fantastic company called Godrej Properties . For four-five years, it did very well between 2003 and 2007 because investors who wanted to buy Godrej Properties couldn’t buy Godrej Properties. The only option was to buy Godrej Industries. But now if Godrej Properties is listed and if I am bullish on Godrej Properties, I will go and buy Godrej Properties. Why should I go and buy Godrej Industries?

Vedanta has got several jewels in its crown. It has got copper mines in Zambia, which are not listed. So, if I want to play on those names, I will have to go and buy Vedanta.

So, my suggestion would be to buy those holding companies whose subsidiaries are not listed. But, in all-all game it’s a very complex matter.

Q: So that is a line you are drawing between a pure holding company and a company with embedded value, right? Do you think that is the story to track?

A: That is absolutely correct. Those embedded values always remain valuable. For example, SEL Limited , market-cap is Rs 100 crore, value of investment Rs 300 crore. It has investment in Zuari Agro , Chambal Fertiliser . The stock was at Rs 30 ten years back, trades at Rs 90. In ten years, you have tripled your money, but the Sensex has gone up six times.

I will give another thought on this. There are several companies who are holding companies and do very well. Nestle; the parent of Indian Nestle , Unilever is also a holding company. But it consolidates accounts, it’s got operating assets of its own and it has got other businesses as well. One thing to understand here is that a holding company, which receives dividend payoff from its subsidiary, normally does not get into a steep discount mode. That is because if the dividend yield of the subsidiary is 2% and holding company goes into a 75% discount, then the yield of the holding company would 8% that is four times of two, so that doesn’t happen. So, the only case where the holding company discount would be narrow is when it consolidates accounts from its subsidiary and it receives dividend from its subsidiary. The dividend will help to keep the dividend yield of the holding company in check, if it goes too far below a certain value.

But, my argument is if you are bullish on the holding company, you have to be bullish on the underlying businesses and it is better to buy the underlying businesses. Betting blindly that the discount will narrow up and the discount will widen out, over a one-two quarter can make money, if I have some insider news that the company is going to restructure and things are going to happen. But over a long period of time, it doesn’t make a lot of money.

Another example is suppose theoretically Bajaj Holding tomorrow decides that we have had enough of it, let us sell all our shares at Rs 18,000 crore market value, our market-cap is 8,500 crore. That discount is there. But if you sell all those shares at Rs 18,500 crore market value, you will have to bear capital gains tax, and you have to pay some tax and distribution of income. So that 20-30% discount should remain. So, I think if it gets closer to 20% discount then it’s fairly valued. When we look at the market value, what we do is number of shares held 'X', multiplied by the price of each share 'Y', we get amount of investment 'Z', now the market price is 'A'. So, if the market price 'A' is less than 'Z' then you go and buy, no it doesn’t happen because 'Z' is the market value, you have to pay for tax theoretically assuming that investments are being sold out.

Q: Do you think there is some appeal for stories like Williamson Magor?

A: It is at a 75% discount, so obviously that discount can come to 60% and you will make 30-40% there but. If you are a long-term investor, I wouldn’t suggest buying Willamson Magor because the discounts remain. That is what my argument is. You can buy it, you can keep it for two-four months have a trading punt, assume for the market frenzy to takeover, assume for some euphoria and then say its 77%, and it cannot go to 100% obviously.

What is the price earning ratio of Willamson Magor? Has anyone looked at that? It is normal. So, you cannot value a company only on the business of NAV. It has got some real estate projects here and there, it’s a Kolkata based company. But I am not too much enthused by these things.

If you want to buy a holding structure then buy a Cadila Healthcare where it has got a fast moving consumer subsidiary called Zydus Wellness . But Williamson Magor, buy it at 78% deep discount, the discount goes to 65% to 60%, it narrows down. I will give an example if you had held it for five years; you have made only 9% CAGR, so that is not too much.

Investing, as Warren Buffet says, is its simple, but it is not easy. I am not saying that Williamson Magor cannot go up, it can go up a few percentage points here and there. But if you hold it for too long, it is going to do only as good as the underlying businesses do. So, if you are bullish on the underlying businesses then you should be bullish on Williamson Magor. If you are bullish on Bajaj Auto then you can be bullish on Maharashtra Scooters.

But my point is it is better to go and buy the underlying subsidiaries rather than try and be a bit over smart like all of us try to be in the market and buy the holding company.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/marketoutlook/checkouttheequitydeskcomsviewsonholdingcos_566277.html - LINK

OR
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/marketoutlook/checkouttheequitydeskcomsviewsonholdingcos_566277.html
-

-------------
main toh aam aadmi hun... jo sunta hoon wohi sach maanta hoon

Posted By: ramsey123
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 3:21pm
Videos available at -

http://www.moneycontrol.com/video/market-outlook/check-out-theequitydeskcoms-viewsholding-cos_566277.html?utm_source=Article_Vid - http://www.moneycontrol.com/video/market-outlook/check-out-theequitydeskcoms-viewsholding-cos_566277.html?utm_source=Article_Vid

There are 2 parts - 1 and 2. The link to each part is at the bottom left of the video box.

Posted By: omshivaya
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 3:34pm

Slow and Steady wins the race Basant ji. If the heart is pure in what one I saying, the audience will connect to that...one day or the other so don't worry. And nice to see you in a video. Good luck.

-------------
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it

Posted By: rinkumalpani
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 3:49pm
Congratulations Basantji...some original views with solid logic and reasoning there.

Posted By: valuebuyer
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 4:09pm

Excellent presentation, very clear-cut analysis.

Posted By: Monkey
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 4:12pm

Basantji,

Why did they ask your views on holding companies, of all things? Was there any particular reason?

Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 4:14pm
I think they thought TED is a holding company albeit one which will always trade at a premium

-------------

Posted By: bharti
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 4:22pm
Wow!  Excellent!

Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 4:25pm

The CNBC guys must be ruing the fact that why did not they get him earlier?   By the way Basantsir, do those tv people know of the general view regarding them on TED

Posted By: adityancs
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by rinkumalpani

The CNBC guys must be ruing the fact that why did not they get him earlier?   By the way Basantsir, do those tv people know of the general view regarding them on TED
Congradulations Basantji.
I missed to watch. However all TEDies are really very happy to note. We all hope that you will inform us in advance next time

Posted By: Ravenrage
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 4:38pm
Oh my God ... Damn my college .. I missed it Kudos Basantji .. You beauty !!

Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 4:52pm
Basantji , how many markets do you invest in ? You talked about the other companies , as if you are talking about some of the ones in BSE .

Posted By: catchsudipto
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 5:07pm
Basant it was great. Keep it up yaar.Thumbs%20Up

-------------
Make your Life as simple as possible.

Posted By: arvi2020
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 5:17pm
Basant Sir,

Very happy to know about your TV show.

Even though I do not have the luck to watch TV, I made it thru the links provided by our boarders.

And feel proud to be a TEDian.

AravindClapClapClap

Posted By: akcortin
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 7:07pm
Basant bhai   it is great to see the TED mentor on TV.
Keep it up.

-------------
All it takes

Posted By: shivkumar
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by bhowman

You are completely different in appearance from the photograph we see every day.

Blame it on prosperity!

Posted By: kailasp4u
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 7:45pm
CNBC guys asked you something trivial. Send them transcripts of TED meets to have a better idea of what to ask to whom!

-------------
knp

Posted By: ramdav
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 7:48pm
Looking forward for more interview. Your views expressed is highly appreciated. Thumbs%20Up 

-------------
Cheers,

"The point is not so much to buy as cheap as possible or go short at top price, but to buy or sell at the right time."- Jesse Livermore

Posted By: patra04
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 8:33pm
Dear Basantji,

Excellent interview.

Saw it online on moneycontrol just now.

Hoping to see you more often.

TED is getting BIG !

Regards,
Rahul

-------------
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.

Posted By: tejas.k
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 8:43pm
wow. congrats basantji. keep it up

Posted By: TCSer
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 8:45pm
Great to hear some original n logical views on CNBC

-------------
Share market is nothing but a game of temperament. Success mantra Right Price,Right Business,Patience, Conviction .Do not do panic buying or selling.It may be the only profession where inactivity pays

Posted By: suresh.k
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 10:52pm
basat, good sruff . I thought ur bit young . seems like u r 40+

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 11:04pm

BM on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_A059jx5yA - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcThslyMEYQ - Part 2

Posted By: DinnuDon
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 12:02pm
Wow Basanji Congrats Smile

-------------
DK

Posted By: subu76
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 12:13pm
Great show Basant Sir. It's a real pity they wasted valuable time discussing such a mundane stock market phenomenon instead of asking Basant Sir some deep questions which would have really enriched stock holders

Posted By: FutureBull
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 8:49am
Great to see Basantji on TV!! This was coincidence as I got interested when Basantji was talking about my stocks (Godrej Ind and Godrej Prop.). I did watch and didn't realise that it could be you. Basantji, it is time to change your snap on this site. This is the first time I saw you and I could see the passion for equities very clearly. Far more serious discussion than we have from so called experts and analysts we see everyday.

-------------
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.

Posted By: manishdave
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 9:46am
ClapClapClap. Very good clarity.

Originally posted by subu76

Great show Basant Sir. It's a real pity they wasted valuable time discussing such a mundane stock market phenomenon instead of asking Basant Sir some deep questions which would have really enriched stock holders

Your point is right but IMO It is not destination. Journey has started so no complains!

Posted By: abhishekbasu
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 9:49am
Now would really be interested to know Basant's view on the "talking heads" on TV, whom he was so critical of before!! Wink

-------------

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 10:12am

....rather than try and be a bit over smart like all of us try to be in the market

Smile

It's so true. In markets (and in life) we mostly try to make simple  things complicated.

Posted By: India_Bull
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 10:32am
Just watching the Video ! Excellent excellent !

All market guru's on TV should go to Himalaya darshan now ! and I think  Basantji has disappointed one Market Pundit who is  strong supporter of holding  companies, shall I say UB Holding?

-------------
India_Bull forever Bull !
www.kapilcomedynights.com

Posted By: studentoflife
Date Posted: 18/Jul/2011 at 11:39am
It was a very helpful session on TV....Are there any previous appearances?...Please do post it here so that TEDS can watch...

-------------
First step towards learning is the realization that you do not know anything.

Posted By: srisaurabh2000
Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 1:04pm
Congrats Basantji, excellent to see you on TV.
And thank you kulmanji for posting the videos.

Posted By: myshr
Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 1:08pm
Dear Basant Sir,

Congratulations to you. It was very nice seeing you on TV through the links posted by members. Hopefully I will watch you on live TV in near future.
It is really nice when great investors and sincere people like you appear on TV and educate the viewers. The average investor's knowledge and empowerment will definitely go up several notches.

Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 1:25pm
Way way better than The Tulsian !

Posted By: Kuber
Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 1:59pm
Wow!! Cangratulations Basant ji.ClapClap

Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 2:11pm
a lot of people would be fretting that Basant didn't move the markets yesterday!

Posted By: jagbir
Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 3:06pm

Chinki ji, you can always watch me speak at your home in Bangalore! But on a more serious note I found it a bit embarrassing to blow my own trumpet and say "Please switch on the TV to see me there".

bit late in putting comment here. anyway, Basantji, first of all, congrats!!

Basantji, TED is a family and you are head of this UIF (Undivided Investor Family) institution, so please don't think like its an embarrassing idea to inform us in advance about any upcoming TV appearance. We will be delighted to know such things in advance.

Posted By: valuepicks
Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 3:07pm
Congratulations Basantji.

You look as passionate about markets as I imagined! Smile your knowledge is incredible...

Hoping to see (and hear) you more often. Please inform us in advance, if possible. Thanks to TED, many started watching CNBC in mute! Smile this will change, if you start appearing regularly.

-------------
Investment Rule #1: Do not lose capital. Rule #2: Do not forget Rule #1   - Warren Buffett.

Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by jagbir

bit late in putting comment here. anyway, Basantji, first of all, congrats!!

Basantji, TED is a family and you are head of this UIF (Undivided Investor Family) institution, so please don't think like its an embarrassing idea to inform us in advance about any upcoming TV appearance. We will be delighted to know such things in advance.

I agree with jagbirji.and thanks friends for posting the link.

Posted By: drsatish91
Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 4:40pm
Congratulations Basantji .. delited to see and listen you(with ears ..so far i have listened you thrw my eyes only . reading your advice ) first time .. as Rinku ji said it very correctly .. you should inform TEDies in advance .. just make an announcement .. i guess TEDies must have this privilege ..   

-------------
Dr.Satish M Jethwani

Posted By: anandv
Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 7:09pm
Awesome Basantji - your experience and knowledge clearly shows and this would be a lesson for responsible market coverage by others instead of just throwing numbers and conjectures. Your confidence in multiple markets about a topic not that well understood is amazing. You are doing a great service to investors and investor confidence with your clear thought process and guidance. Thank you very much and we look forward to more of your presentatiion and videos and soon one of them will become like Buffets Florida university video.

-------------
Investing - Just Do It.

Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 7:16pm
I am slated for an interview tomorrow July 20th 2011, at CNBC-TV18 at 8.10am for a discussion on a few companies that I feel are worthy of investments.

-------------

Posted By: abhishekbasu
Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 7:21pm

I am slated for an interview tomorrow July 20th 2011, at CNBC-TV18 at 8.10am for a discussion on a few companies that I feel are worthy of investments.

Looking forward eagerly to it...

-------------

Posted By: tejas
Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 8:53pm

We look forward your "Rapidfire" performance.

-------------
Earnings, Earnings, Earnings.

Posted By: ramdav
Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 8:57pm
All set we will watch you tomorrow Basantji. We wish you best of luck once again. Keep on going we want you on all business channels to unlock your ideas.

Thumbs%20Up

-------------
Cheers,

"The point is not so much to buy as cheap as possible or go short at top price, but to buy or sell at the right time."- Jesse Livermore

Posted By: subu76
Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 9:57pm
Awesome Basant Sir........Thanks for posting. While it's a bit early for me I can't think of a better way to start the day

Posted By: Vamsee
Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 10:00pm
Excellent! Thanks for the heads up Basant ji.
===========================================
Also today I have observed that I can play CNBC TV 18 video's on my iPad. I was hoping that they would make tablet version of their site and finally they made it

-------------
May you live in interesting times
               -- Ancient Chinese Curse

Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 10:51pm
Wow!! what a early morning treat.. wish you best of luck

-------------

Posted By: SK1076
Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 11:21pm
Basant ji - Congrats! You are a Superstar & a true inspiration for common investors like us.

-------------
Patience PAYS/-

Posted By: naveenbadaya
Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 11:59pm
Great to see you Basantji on TV and your inspirational insights....Thanks Kulmanji for posting the video

Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 8:01am
Some TED stocks are sure to hit upper circuit today

Although we get to know your views almost every day there is a different charm to see someone you know on national tv

-------------

Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 9:02am
watch out for Page & Hawkins .. Basantji you were quite comprehensive and convincing. I pity these guys who had cut the discussion for mindless technicals

-------------

Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 9:08am
Just see the difference between Basantji on Mutibagger idea Vs SP Tulsian..Basantji was so comprehensive that I am sure many funds houses now will take entry in Page & Hawkins & be ready for 20-25% price hike in these 2 stocks...I think these 2 stocks will be close to 3000 by end of this year after basntj's Revelation of these stocks on CNBC:)

-------------

Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 9:10am
And we are already invested in this !!

Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 9:15am
Basant just one request -please do not ever play bulls eye even if they offer you real money.

-------------

Posted By: jagbir
Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 9:21am
The passion and energy Basantji demonstrated while discussing these stocks on tv is refreshing. Many analyst picks figures from reports and bubble them on tv with flat face but when you have done the real ground work, have faith and confidence equipped with real figures, you will become unstoppable. Just see Basantji if you need proof . That lady anchor looked helpless while trying to diverting the topic

Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 9:25am
Originally posted by jagbir

The passion and energy Basantji demonstrated while discussing these stocks on tv is refreshing. Many analyst picks figures from reports and bubble them on tv with flat face but when you have done the real ground work, have faith and confidence equipped with real figures, you will become unstoppable. Just see Basantji if you need proof . That lady anchor looked helpless while trying to diverting the topic

Not Lady Anchor I think Udyan was just out of place when Basantji was talking & his face was to watch when they stopped Basantji's talk in between:)

-------------

Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 10:26am
It was like: duh, you are talking of EPS and P/E of Page/Hawkins one year down the line. I wanted something for 3.30 factor.

Posted By: Circuit
Date Posted: 19/Jul/2011 at 10:50am
Originally posted by ash7979

Not Lady Anchor I think Udyan was just out of place when Basantji was talking & his face was to watch when they stopped Basantji's talk in between:)

Hummm... They were disappointed, Tongue

पुरी रामकथा सुनाई लेकिन टार्गेट नही दिया Ouch

-------------
Fundamentalists and anticipators may have difficulties with risk control because a trade keeps looking ‘better’ the more it goes against them....Ed Seykota

Print Page | Close Window