Print Page | Close Window

The Gitas and the Bibles of Investment!

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Market Strategies
Forum Name: Investment resources - The Knowledge Buzz
Forum Discription: Share thoughts and information about where you get all the company/investing informtaion from. Talk about websites, books, news papers, journals TV shows that others could benefit from.
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=323
Printed Date: 28/Apr/2024 at 11:45pm

Topic: The Gitas and the Bibles of Investment!
Posted By: kulman
Subject: The Gitas and the Bibles of Investment!
Date Posted: 11/Sep/2006 at 10:01pm
Lets start a topic about "what to read" to keep updated on investments, business, companies.

I read ET, Business India, India Today.

Surf the net to visit sites like moneycontrol, bloomberg, theequitydesk. I do company research on myiris.com, religare.in

The books I like are "Intelligent Investor", "One up on wall street", "The warren buffet way".

Would like to hear from all of you.

Thanks

-------------
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards

Replies:
Date Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 4:31pm
Just finished reading "STOCKS TO RICHES" by Parag Parikh (Tata McGrawHill, Rs195, p112)

It is a must read not only to understand Market Dynamics, but also to get insights into BEHAVIOURAL FINANCE. This is a science being studied as independant subject in the West.

I strongly  recommend this book...

-------------

Posted By: BubbleVision
Date Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 4:37pm
Two very good books to read under the current economic conditions around the globe is http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471133094/turtletradercomA/ - Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds
Charles MacKay

and

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471121045/turtletradercomA/ - Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk
Peter L. Bernstein

-------------
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 4:37pm
May I request forum members to post about:
what they like reading, which sites they visit regularly, which brokerage reports they find useful (for fundamental analysis), etc etc

It will help others as well.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 4:39pm
Thanks BubbleVision

Are these books on current global Socio-Economics, state of US Economy?

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 4:40pm
Kulman.. I found the Parag's book very bad. It would be good only for starters but not for advanced level. It was just too basic for me.

Madness of the crowd (Mckay) was originally written in 1857. You can understand the value now. Both the books recommended by me are connected with Human behaviour in the markets and one can learn a great deal from those books.

-------------
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 4:45pm
BubbleVision

Hmmm.... I'm still at basic level

Anyhow, I found it simple and easy to understand for beginners.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 7:13pm
Another set of must reads for any one is the set of "Market Wizards" by Jack Schawager. There are three books in the series and all of them are bibles of the Markets.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 7:21pm
Thanks, but is it for Technical Traders or Fundamentalists? I mean "Market Wizards"? What subjects are covered broadly?

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 7:34pm
"Market Wizards" Book contains interviews with the greatest living traders in the US and how they made it. Not Technicals of Fundamentals in particular.
One interview is of a man who was on verge of declaring himself Bankrupt and how he came back.. Amazing book.
The traders come from all the variety of life style and many markets.. Currencies, Commodities, Stocks or purely futures. Some were technicians while other were fundamentallists. There are Hybrids also... It all depends on "Everything works.. What matters is what works for you"

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 7:42pm
Sound interesting. I would surely read it at the next available opportunity. I had mentioned somewhere that combination of funda & tech is very very rare but it could be a great combination.

I partially agree with  your favourite line "Everything works.. What matters is what works for you".

There you are leaving something to chance/luck. I feel that by value investing, you have such margin of safety that you are bound to be a winner. Would like your feedback on this.

-------------

Posted By: Equity Buff
Date Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 7:46pm
Some of the books I have read are already mentioned above. Some of the other books which I liked are Buffetology by Mary Buffet and Common Stocks and Uncommon profits by Fisher(reading now).

Equity Buff.

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 8:00pm

Do you mean, "The New Buffetology" by Mary Buffet & David Clark?

Yeah, it is a very nice read.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 8:05pm
You need luck all the time.. Without luck.. once can have an accident when you are crossing the road.. Or buying a stock.
Rembember "Value lies in the eye of the beholder" and you may have value but you need another valuer to identify that value. With Margin of safety, are you not talking about StopLosses...
You are bound to be a winner if you work hard on yourself and try to parctice the craft that you already know.
I am sure Most of the guys (and gals) on the Forum have not seen what a bear market looks like. One you see how "Value" could be destroyed, you will know the need to accept your mistake and to keep StopLosses.

Only when the tide turns.. you know who was wearing what -- Warren Buffet

And a Bull market lifts all boats and true value is only discovered after 2-3 years of bear markets and not 2-3 years of bull markets. Look when Buffet purchased most of his stocks.. End of 1974 after Dow was Down 60% from the top (in 2 years). Before that he had purchased in 1956.

Rembember earlier this year.. Gold was the best "value" against inflation. and Rembember.. Prices make money and not reasons.

This is the reason why i had written "Optimism for a Fundamentalist is the highest at the Tops while the Optimism for a Technician is the greatest at the Bottom". 
Read that once more...

"Everything works.. What matters is what works for you".

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 8:13pm
Ask the Japs.. What is value and they would have an answer.. Look at the history..
1970 Nikkei 1000... Bearishness all around. (prevailing mood was technicals only way to make money)
1989 Nikkei 40000 Bullishness all around (prevailing mood was only warren buffet)
2003 Nikkei 7000... Bearishness all around (Only technicals work)
2006 Nikkei 15600... Currently both work..
2015 ???????????

Value works but what is important is where you buy that value and Stocks DO NOT always go up in long term.

Look what happened in 1945 in Japan... The korean war ended and the Nikkei Fell 8% that day.
What end of War bearish for stocks ?
The reason given was Market down because of a fall in defence companies.

And for Intraday trading nothing works.. No technicals and no fundamentals.. as far as i am concerned.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 8:23pm
From someone who trades currencies...

Is the Dollar not supposed to fall the most against the Asian Currencies?

Look at Euro-Yen, Chhf-Yen and GBP-Yen .. that all are sitting at 5 year highs. Try figure out the Fundamentals there...

US Trade Deficit 2004 was 45 Bln per month (Approx).. Dollar Index was 80.00 (Warren Buffet Sold there)
Us Trade Deficit 2006 is 65-70 Bln per month (Approx).. Dollar Index is at 86.00 (Warren Buffet covered the shorts at 90-92 at end of 2005 and early 2006).

I am not against Warren Buffet... Plz dont take it that way...  (He is a guru)

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 8:34pm
Yes, I mean The New Buffetology and also the earlier book Buffetology.

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 8:51pm

Nice to know your viewpoint on this subject, BubbleVision!

You mentioned that value-investing involves stop-losses: Sorry, value investing is buying something at a price which is worth much more. Value investor would never apply stop losses.  

It is all about identifying companies with "long-term durable competitive advantage", with proven management, and buying them cheap (during temporary bad news).

And about your view on currency market (which is the largest in terms of volume) or for that matter commodities futures, I have seen people lose their net worth in matter of hours. Futures markets were created for price discovery and hedging, but look at the way people trade on MCX/NCDEX, all sattebaji. Look at what carnage happened yesterday in global commodities, zinc, nickel, gold, silver....all the stop losses triggered? I'm against leveraged trading altogether.

My own view is that capital markets are most of the times irrational. And as investors we should try to take advantage of the situation. That's all.

I'm not against your opinion at all. I hope I have made point clear.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 9:38am
Yes, I completely agree with Kulman. No disrespect meant to anyone elses view point.

Equity Buff.

Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 1:07pm
Hi Kulman,
First of all congrats on getting so many of the calls suscessful.

I would once again recommend every one to read "Market Wizards", as there you would read about someone called "Tom Baldwin" for whom Long term is Next 10-Minutes has made $300Million over 10-Years. He traded Bonds on the CME and is a pit trader. He started with $2000-$5000 (approx). I think his profits are very big sum for every one of us.  

Yes people lose all their worth in "Satta", because well they are doing "Satta" and are not using technicals or Fundamentals. I too am against leveraged trading.
and not to mention

Plz Dont confuse Brains with a Bull Market......

Read "Market Wizards".....
Mind is like a parachute.. Best used when open...

Best of luck buddy...

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 5:09pm
One exeptional book to read is "How I Made $2 Million in the Stock Market" by Nicholas Darvas.
Actually when i read it i just could not keep it down as the book is so intresting. It is also a small book with just 60 pages. I read the book in one single night.
It is a story of how a American nightclub dancer called Nicholas Darvas made a fortune for himself while on a world tour. And he also visited Kolkata during the tour.
Actually it is a must read

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 5:21pm

Thanks BubbleVision

You seem to be a voracious reader. Nice to know about this book.

By the way, my parachute is always wide open !!

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 5:58pm
Ya i have read many many more books.. Mostly on TA and On risk Management and http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=3 - Trading Psychology . I have also read peter lynch book. That is the only Funda book that i have read.... I will post more enteries as an when i recolleat them...
Another great one would be "The Disciplined Trader" by Mark Douglas. Mind you that is a bit complicated book.
Also read "Sold Short : Uncovering Deception in the Markets " by  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author-exact=Manuel%20P.%20Asensio&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank/103-7168841-8034261 - Manuel P. Asensio . This is acutally a must read for you.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 6:04pm
Also read "Sold Short : Uncovering Deception in the Markets " by  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author-exact=Manuel%20P.%20Asensio&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank/103-7168841-8034261 - Manuel P. Asensio . This is acutally a must read for you.

BubbleVision: Please elaborate why MUST READ for me? Do you find any lacunae in my approach? Please be frank to openly criticise my shortcomings. At least it will give me an opportunity to improve...as I said my parachute is wiiiiiiiiiiiide open!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 6:38pm
I think that this is a must read for you as you being a "Value" Investor .. must look at all the short commings of a company, which sometimes are decieved by the company in their own intrests.
I as a "Price" trader can go short or long on a particular stock, but you cannot lose a big amount if you are decieved by the company. This book looks at the way what are the tricks the company employ to trick investors into something which is "not value".
You can read the Review for the book http://www.sharekhan.com/KnowledgeCentre/ChapterArticle.aspx?ArticleID=023455d5-6331-421f-9258-b1cd8bc60c25 - http://www.sharekhan.com/KnowledgeCentre/ChapterArticle.aspx?ArticleID=023455d5-6331-421f-9258-b1cd8bc60c25

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 7:22pm
Dear Bubblevision,

I am only talking about the review of the book "Sold Short", I have read the review and found it interesting.

Rgds
Equity Buff

Date Posted: 14/Sep/2006 at 10:26am
Kulman...

I would like to request you to read Market wizards immidiately ... as the parachute seems to very much closed specially after reading something like this which you had posted in another forum...
--------------------------
I walked into a nearby cybercafe to check my e-mail, and what do I see: it was full of 20+ years olds "day-traders", watching charts/frantically drawing "channels", "fibonachi" and what not  etc etc...  I really feel for them.
--------------------------

I would like to request you to plz worry about only yourself and not someone else as
EveryThing works... What matters is what works for you.
The markets may be irrational longer than you can remain solvent and
Only when the tide turns... we know who was wearing what.
and everyone cannot be Warren Buffet because people like Richard Dennis, Tom Baldwin have also made money. One cant use buffetology everywhere as he himself found out in currencies.  

Please dont critisize Techinical Analysis (mathematics and statistical probability) any longer as it is used in every feild as weathermen use it to predict weather patterns and doctors also use it to check the human pulse rate and the temperature.

Fundamental and Technical... both work as only HardWork works. Hardwork is the only way to make money from the markets.

“Win or lose, everybody gets what they want from the market. Some people like to lose, so they win by losing money.” -- ED SEYKOTA
Those "20+Year old Day Traders" may be winning Experience.

Hope this helps

-------------

Posted By: Ajith
Date Posted: 15/Sep/2006 at 5:41pm
The 2 books by John  Train(he is himself a great investor) The Money Masters  and The New Money Masters are exceptionally good .John Train does a better job of explaining Peter  Lynch than Lynch himself.
 Ed Seykota 's quotation is really true and will strike a chord with one who has really played the markets.Its all in the mind.
I must read The Market Wizards-there are 3 in the series I found from the net.
Jim Rogers is one of the success stories analyzed by Edward  De Bono in his excellent book Tactics.(its not a book on invesment neverthless a must-read)

Date Posted: 15/Sep/2006 at 5:55pm
BubbleVision: your comment...
Please dont critisize Techinical Analysis (mathematics and statistical probability) any longer as it is used in every feild as weathermen use it to predict weather patterns and doctors also use it to check the human pulse rate and the temperature.

My only comments is that I sincerely hope that we do not end up in a clinic where the Doctor is who is not fundamentally sound and is referring Fibonachi levels for diagnosing our ECG chart!!! (take it lightly )

-------------

Posted By: basant
Date Posted: 15/Sep/2006 at 5:58pm
Those "20+Year old Day Traders" may be winning Experience.
Well said Bubble but I feel that your view is too broad. If you ask these 20 year olds to say are you satisfied losing money to gain experience then we know what their answer would be. Broadly experience is not what they are getting but something that they are settling for.

The next time when they are 30+ I bet 90% of them would do the same and when they are 40+ more then 75% will leave the markets with half of them blaming it on the operator and the other half on luck.

While these experiences are great but they have to be taken like that most of the losers take it as a a result so they never know that the process was wrong.

Most of the greats that you mentioned traded trends not days and these people play on margin with water running close to their nose.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Date Posted: 15/Sep/2006 at 6:05pm
Now that we are in weekend mood....

here is a joke I heard from a Technical Analyst himself (I'm censoring it slightly, as I do not want to use un-parliamentary words):

This guy (a TA) goes on a honeymoon to the Himalayas, books a five star deluxe room with a great view.

But a TA to the bone, he instead of concentrating activities inside the room, tries to explain to his beloved beautiful wife to watch from the window:  interesting patterns made by snow-peaked mountains of Himalayan Range like- double top, double bottom, head-and-shoulder!!!  

-------------

Date Posted: 15/Sep/2006 at 6:28pm
Ajitji, the 1st markets wizards has the interview of ED Seykota, in which he has said two or three really amazing quotes.....one more is about the joy of winning.... i will post it in the ED forum tommorrow as i am a bit busy today. That book also has the interview of Jim Rogers. Infact all the interviews are amazing.
Make sure that you take the latest version of the third book, as that was revised in 2003, with fresh updates on the wizards. In that book... Dana Gallante is a very very good read.

BasantJi
That is the way the markets go and that is why 95% lose and only 5% Win. It is only a game of who is the mentally strongest.
I trade only trends and that too long term trends.....
Infact i believe in currencies no one wins.....apart from the brokers, as most trade for next 10-Minutes 

Kulman -- great to see the parachute is wide open as but surely the medical and the geographical fields use TA.

The markets are always changing....They are always the same

-------------

Date Posted: 15/Sep/2006 at 6:34pm
One more kulman.....
A client was standing infront of elevator.... and then it came. He saw the Chief TA of the firm in that. The client asked atleast now which way... up or down?

-------------

Date Posted: 15/Sep/2006 at 8:06pm
Nick Leeson.... The one who did the Baring Bank Fisaco has now written a book......
I have not read that but it must be interesting

http://www.nickleeson.com/books/back_from_the_brink.html - Back from the Brink, Coping with Stress  By Nick Leeson.

-------------

Date Posted: 17/Sep/2006 at 5:06pm
For a value investor, here are some more books that one should read like TEXT BOOKS (borrowing a term from Basantjee):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060555661/permanentvalu-20?creative=327641&camp=14573&adid=1WQTCKFVQJ6JEW2C07ZK&link_code=as1">  The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471648116/permanentvalu-20?creative=327641&camp=14573&adid=18WHH0WP2SRQ2ZWYX0DD&link_code=as1">  The Warren Buffett Way by Robert G. Hagstrom

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/185788308X/permanentvalu-20?creative=327641&camp=14573&adid=03TSHSZMDYXTAZAWS3EQ&link_code=as1">  The Real Warren Buffett  by James O'Loughlin

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471445509/permanentvalu-20?creative=327641&camp=14573&adid=0GYB2BS3MXYNZCXKWQQX&link_code=as1">  Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits  by Philip A. Fisher

I'm eagerly waiting for Basantjee's list....of those Bibles...

-------------

Date Posted: 17/Sep/2006 at 5:13pm
Another book full of insights at a very basic level into the emtional/psychological aspects which I bought yesterday (I did not get Stockmarket Wizard)is Rich Dad's CASHFLOW QUADRANT by Robert T Kaiyosaki .(R Damani had mentioned somewhere that he had read the first book in the series)It gives gives clues on changing for the better -ideal only for those only with an open flexible mind.The purpose should be to get into a winning frame of mind as emphasized by BubbleVision's quotes  from  Ed Seykota.

-------------
Ajith

Date Posted: 20/Sep/2006 at 3:00pm
I would like to request everyone to write a short review of the books which they have recommended.
BasantJi i am waiting for your list.

-------------

Posted By: vivekkumar_in
Date Posted: 20/Sep/2006 at 4:36am
Rich Dad Poor Dad - Robert Kiyoski - Is a good book to build the concept of Need to Invest.
Of cource all time favorites - One up the Wall Street, Making of an American Capitalist (Warren Buffet)
Hot Commodities - Jim Rogers - Gives you a different perspective

Date Posted: 21/Sep/2006 at 12:38pm
"In my whole life I have known no wise people (over a broad subject matter area) who did not read all the time – none zero. Investing requires a broad knowledge. My children think I’m a book with a couple of legs sticking out” - - Charles Munger

I had been trying to get this in order but it never seemed to end. I am not a bookworm who reads a new book every week. I would rather go back to my old library and read any of the books or a chapter from a book rather then read something new. I must have read all these books at least twice some even up to 10 times (arbitrary figure since I did not count). I have tried writing a bit about the top 12 books. Why 12? The answer is one book in a month for about a year to read these pieces of experience. They should be read like a text book of English literature rather then a novel. As usual relevant sections need to be underlined highlighted so that it facilitates as a quick reference later on. The books listed are not in the order of my personal liking but I just kept putting them as they came to mind.

- Peter Lynch - “If one could tell the future by looking at Balance Sheets then Accountants and Mathematicians would have been the richest people in the world”.

1) One up on Wall Street – John Rothchild

Lynch teaches the power to use the common sense which is the most uncommon thing in the world. The book is very well written with references to events and situations that make investing so easy. Some people try and do the unusual things that are why they miss doing the usual ones is the mantra that reverberates throughout the book.

2) Beating the Street – John Rothchild

Slightly more elementary Lynch teaches the virtues of being invested in equities. He compares equity to other assets and proclaims the advantages of the riskiest asset as the best one. Particularly interesting is the haircut he had at Supercuts (before he bought the stock). Inspite of the haircut not being on the mark (he had his sideburns cut off) Lynch bought the stock and made money on it. This book has specific chapters to evaluating Retail Stocks, mortgages etc.

http://www.theequitydesk.com/benjamin_graham.asp - Benjamin Graham - “While enthusiasm may be necessary for great accomplishments elsewhere, on Wall Street it almost invariably leads to disaster”

3) The Intelligent Investor – Benjamin Graham

Lot of theory but it is more of a reference book that you would need before the exam. Makes for some very interesting reading. Graham wants to buy companies for free. Had you followed his words you would have been out of the market in 2004. A pure value play. These books could be looked at in absolute bear market bottoms. I am not sure if Graham could have found many companies to buy in India right now!

http://www.theequitydesk.com/warren_buffet.asp - Warren Buffet : “Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale will give good results”

4) Buffet: The making of an American Capitalist - Roger Lowenstein

The language is tough and if you have read One up on Wall Street you would find the method of communicating very different. The inner content is very strong indeed. I liked his style of explaining how and why he turned an old textile mill into an insurance company that was later known as “Berkshire Hathaway”. When American Express showed a loss for one particular year as it had given out a loan that turned bad Buffet said “ Let us think of it as a dividend check lost in transit.  One offs did not worry Buffet as he put in half of his corpus into American Express.

n        Separated bottle corks from the garbage so that he could know which company sold more cold drinks

n        It took him about 2 years to figure out that his room was painted in his absence as he just looked at books inside the room.

n        Although he owns a private jet he preferred to stay away from Wall Street in a small town and declined to invest in a company whose CEO took out a brand mew letter pad to explain the company’s plans

n        He once invested in a company located on the seashore which had only three sides of its building painted. The side facing the sea was left without paint.

n        When his wife spent US $ 15,000 on home furnishing his first comments to a friend were” You know how much that is worth if you compound it for 20 years.

5) The Warren Buffet way – Roger Hagstorm

This provides a critical analysis of Buffet’s investing strategies. What the master looked for before investing in a business (cannot use the word stock).  Particularly interesting is Hagstorm’s study on diversification where he tries to show how a http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=364 - concentrated portfolio outperforms a diversified one .

http://www.theequitydesk.com/philip_fisher.asp - Philips Fisher : “I do not want a lot of good investments I want a few outstanding ones. If a job has been correctly done when the common stock has been purchased, the time to sell it is almost never”.

6) Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits - Philips Fisher

Some how I like these common things and Fisher is no exception. He talks about the scuttlebutt – news that an investor can infer from the suppliers, the vendors, the customers of a company. Fisher is among the few great investing legends who made money from technology stocks (Texas Instruments). This book is a must read for someone who is always upbeat in booking profits. Fisher says if a stock runs up ahead of valuations investors should not try and sell out planning to get in later. There are many instances when an overvalued stock hits the market with positive news that investors were earlier unaware of.

7) The BULL – Maggie Mahar This is the best book to read in times of euphoria and optimism. The book is a classic read on the great US bull market of 1982 – 2000. The references as to how retirees went back to work after losing money in the technology crash of 2000 sends reverberations down the spine. Any investor could get nervous (at least once) after reading the book. At least I did. The book also shows how it suits the business channels to keep the bull market in place; the framing of questions are done is such fashion that they get only positive answers.

Jesse Livermore- “Men who can be both right and sit tight are uncommon. I found it the hardest things to learn. But it is only after an investor has firmly grasped this that he can make big money. It is literally true that millions come easier to a trader (investor) after he knows how to trade then hundreds did in the days of his ignorance”

8) Reminisces of a Stock Operator – Edwin Lefevre

I call these sentences the thirteen commandments. Every investor, trader needs to go through them. These gospels from the master trader summarize the book.,

·         Never act on tips.

·         Never buy a stock because it has had a big decline from its previous high.

·         If a stock doesn't act right don't touch it; because, being unable to tell precisely what is wrong, you cannot tell which way it is going. No diagnosis, no prognosis. No prognosis, no profit.

·         Don't blame the market for your losses. Never add to a losing position. A losing position means you were wrong.

·         Stocks are never too high for you to begin buying or too low to begin selling. But after the initial transaction, don't make a second unless the first shows you a profit.

·         Always sell what shows you a loss and keep what shows you a profit.

·         Don't argue with the tape. Do not seek to lure the profit back. Quit while the quitting is good--and cheap.

·         There is only one side to the stock market; and it is not the bull side or the bear side but the right side.

·         The speculator's chief enemies are always boredom from within.

·         A man must believe in himself and his judgment if he expects to make a living at this game.

·         Bulls and bears make money, but pigs get slaughtered

·         Markets are never wrong. Opinions are!

9) Stock Market Wizards – Jack Schwager

If we thought that no one could make money trading, this is one book to read. I found the chapter on Dana Galante very interesting. Dana ran a fund which used to short a market and she notched up annualized returns of 15% plus when the NASDAQ went up 32% CAGR during 1994-99..

Now this would have the same meaning as a person who notched up a 15% gain being long when the index went down 32%. Dana’s strategy on what to look for before shorting a company is very important.

10) Money Masters – John Train

Now if you did not have time for all this but still wanted information on each of these legends indicated above (and more) John Train’s book is an absolute must. Train writes eloquently and with flowing style covers the life of each of these greats with events that would matter to an investor.

http://www.myWeb.com - Marc Faber - “Follow the course opposite to custom and you will almost always be right.”

11) Tomorrows Gold - Marc Faber

Faber has collected loads of historic financial data ranging from the Tulip bulb mania to the 1929 great depression. Faber’s theory is based on the premise that anything that goes up must come down and vice versa. There are no direct ways to make money from this book but investors would surely benefit understanding economic cycles by reading from this book. For instance Faber shows that even after the great rail road rush in the US investors finally lost money in infrastructure and construction companies.

12) Market Wizards: Jack Schwager

Jack Schwager’s books removed the doubt in my mind that money could be made through trading. I do believe that money cannot be made through intra day trades but positional traders can make a lot of money.

The most interesting experience in the book was of a tarder”Michael Marcus”  He had been wiped out umpteen number of times and made his big money in a matter of 10 minutes. When the Afghanistan war broke out New York was sleeping and no one knew about this news in Hong Kong. Marcus who was operating from California called up Hong king and bought 200,000 ounces of gold. In about 10 minutes as the news of the war spread gold jumped up by US $ 10 and Marcus was up by US $ 2 million.  Morale of the story:

1)      Do not wait for others to buy first; most of us would not have bought it thinking that it could not be so easy.

2)      When ever you bet, bet so hard that a correct result makes a meaningful difference to your Balance Sheet.

13) When Genius Failed – Roger Lowenstein

An excellent blow by blow account of how Long term Capital management failed. The firm was headed by a group of “eminent” professionals that were Noble prize winners, PhD in mathematics among others. They used to arbitrage on the spreads and once their spreads did not revert back to the mean the fund closed down. This brings me back to my favorite quote “Markets can be irrational longer then you can stay solvent”.

13) Rich Dad Poor Dad – Robert.T.Kiyosaki with Sharon.L.Lechter

This is more of a personal finance book where the authors provide insight into common thinking. They argue how a car that many of us consider as an asset is really a liability; so is our house. The authors argue that a person should learn to distinguish between his assets and liabilities and only once that is done can he make money and achieve financial freedom.

14) I read "The Dhandoo Investor". http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1049 - Mohnish Pabrai: a fantastic money manager. His writings spreads across four major themes:

a) Portfolio Concenjtration and the benefits from that.
         b) Limit downside risks from investment - Heads I win Tails I
             do not lose much.
         c) Moats, competitive advantages, circle of competence benefits
             of being a copycat when it come to bsuiness models etc
         d) Compounding.

Apart from these I have read and like:

15) Adventure Capitalisthttp://www.theequitydesk.com/jim_rogers.asp - Jim Rogers

16) Hot commoditieshttp://www.theequitydesk.com/jim_rogers.asp - Jim Rogers

17) The John Neff way - http://www.theequitydesk.com/john_neff.asp -  

18) The Alchemy of Financehttp://www.theequitydesk.com/george_soros.asp - George Soros

19)  You can be a stock market Genius – Joel Green Belt

20) What Works on Wall Street – James.P.O’Shaughnessy

-

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Date Posted: 21/Sep/2006 at 4:15pm
Intresting choises of Books BasantJi,
Not to mention, Michael Marcus was a student of the master himself "ED". also in the Mkt Wzds, Jim Rogers is a must read because he "Short HYSTERIA" in Gold.

Dana is certainly a wizard...

I have not read Money Masters... Will read it.

You Must read "Madness of the crowd".. which i had recommended earlier..It is on the lines of Livermore classic.

-------------

Date Posted: 21/Sep/2006 at 6:35pm
Excellent compilation of the books you've learnt from, Basantjee.

One must also keep in mind the application of text book knowledge as you have nicely explained at http://www.theequitydesk.com/text_books.asp - http://www.theequitydesk.com/text_books.asp

-------------

Posted By: investor
Date Posted: 21/Sep/2006 at 7:25pm
I have read One up on Wall Street, Beating the street, Buffet: The making of an American Capitalist, and Rich Dad Poor Dad.

i have
Reminisces of a Stock Operator with me right now, cant find time to
start reading ;-)

in addition to this, i would definitely recommend "The wisdom of crowds" - its
a fasincating insight into emotions and behavorial patterns, and how we are swayed
by the behavior of majority of others.

Posted By: s_praharaj
Date Posted: 21/Sep/2006 at 8:22pm

Basant,

Thanks for the great compilation of books.

I have read three books from your list and trying to read other books.

There is another book, I am reading now. "Poor Charlie's Almanac" written by Charles Munger. This man is only second to Warren Buffet. You can try this book. I find the book very interesting and gives great insight to value investing. You can also realise how value investing and human values go together and complimentary to each other.

Shashi Praharaj,

Mumbai

-------------
Shashi Praharaj

Date Posted: 21/Sep/2006 at 10:54pm

The Tao Jones Averages A Guide to whole-brained investing by Bennet Goodspeed is excellent. An interesting point from the book-Jim Rogers is predominantly left-brained-analytically inclined and not emotionally attached to his investments.

Also The Economist is superlative reading for its style and depth on whats going on in the world economy-I ignore the politics part because
reading the business part itself every week requires some effort.Rakesh Jhunjhunwalla regularly reads it.

Posted By: reetesh
Date Posted: 21/Sep/2006 at 11:30pm
Hey guys there is free subscription of The Hindubusinessline, Chennai edtion for 3 months
http://epaper.thehindubusinessline.com/ -
Click on the link and register your self.

http://epaper.thehindubusinessline.com/

-------------
When going gets tough, that’s when tough (people) gets going.

Date Posted: 21/Sep/2006 at 2:14am

This one is for Mr.Kulman. Buffettville

http://www.go2cio.com/extra/link.php?catid=1 - http://www.go2cio.com/extra/link.php?catid=1

By the way kulman ji you are not a secular man in our political term (Cong. & Leftist) why did`nt you mention "QURAN" with "GITA & BIBLE". Mind you I have written QURAN with respect so please dont take this other wise, this clarification is important for my safety.

-------------

Posted By: investor
Date Posted: 22/Sep/2006 at 12:35pm
the paper is anyway available online at http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/

Originally posted by reetesh

Hey guys there is free subscription of The Hindubusinessline, Chennai edtion for 3 months
http://epaper.thehindubusinessline.com/ - Click on the link and register your self.
http://epaper.thehindubusinessline.com/ - http://epaper.thehindubusinessline.com/

Date Posted: 22/Sep/2006 at 12:42pm
Reetesh I changed it and yes as secular fundamental investors we should have had the Quran but the space in the title bar seemed was short.

-------------

Date Posted: 22/Sep/2006 at 12:57pm

Sir, Please take it lightly it was "JOKE cum Advice" but yet did`nt used "QURAN"  losely..

I have one request from you that we need to start 2 more Forums.

1. Regarding POLITICS (Whole world as this also effect markets and we must share our opine)

2. Jokes & Humor that will keep us going.

-------------

Date Posted: 22/Sep/2006 at 1:03pm
Dear Investor,

I think you would`nt have expected me to post it, if same thing is available on the Thehindubusinessline.com and "epaper" that I am talking about atleast  40% of content is different in "Epaper" this is full version of Chennai Edition.

-------------

Date Posted: 22/Sep/2006 at 1:25pm

Great. For the jokes and humour we have the section lounge. It is really very funny. In fact we hjave a very different profile of audience contributing to that section.

http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=11 - http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=11

For the politics part would start a section.

Thank you for the advice. 

-------------

Posted By: monu_duggad
Date Posted: 22/Sep/2006 at 3:20pm
Basantji
You had promised you will start a thread on scams and write about big bull harshad mehta and kp's scam
Amazing to know you have read so many books...great stuff !! Do you still get that magnitude of time.

-------------
If you think you can,You Can

Date Posted: 22/Sep/2006 at 3:46pm
Yes, I do. Presently I am reading "The Google story". The best part of the book was Google reached its position without advertising and secondly they wanted to sell the stuff to Yahoo/AOL/ALtavista etc for US $1 million but the latter refused today google is worth more then 150,000 times of that. All this in 7-8 years!!!

-------------

Posted By: Vivek Sukhani
Date Posted: 24/Sep/2006 at 9:15am
Of the books mentioned by you, I have read the one mentioned by Peter Lynch, also both Security analysis and The Intelligent Investor By Benjamin Graham and also The Alchemy of Finance by George Soros. I was particularly impressed by the Intelligent Investor and The Alchemy of Finance. The Alchemy of Finance is a must-read and the theory of reflexivity and the Chapter on the Prevailing Bias and the Underlying Trend was tremendously impressive.

Date Posted: 27/Sep/2006 at 12:41pm
Once Warren Buffet was asked by students of an American University about his recommendation of books on investment. After giving his list of favourites like Ben Graham, Phil Fischer etc...he had following advice:

Students should start by actually investing small sums, not just investing on paper. Without actually investing, one will not experience the emotions resulting from price increases as well as price decreases. “There are books on investments and sex. But, the real thing is different”.

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Sep/2006 at 12:51pm

Another good quote by Mr. Buffet posted by you. Keep sending them whenever you think it is appropriate.

Everyone learns from and also enjoys these quotes.

Rgds.

Date Posted: 27/Sep/2006 at 1:32pm
Must compliment you Kulman.. great Quote. Infact this the second most wierd quote i have ever read.

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Sep/2006 at 2:02pm
Thanks BubbleVision, if this is the "second most weird quote", please let us know the first one.....

-------------

Date Posted: 28/Sep/2006 at 11:53am
Kulmanji: These are pirated and we would not keep these links as they might cause problems with the publishers etc. I have therefore deleted the links.

-------------

Date Posted: 29/Sep/2006 at 12:09pm
Basantjee

You are right...I should have realised that before posting.

Thanks anyway.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/Oct/2006 at 10:53pm

This is one interesting article by Kiyosaki (Author of Rich Dad Poor Dad). It gives a different perspective on cash flow generation via investments.

More details at: http://finance.yahoo.com/columnist/article/richricher/10316?p=1 - Learn to Invest Like a Pro

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Oct/2006 at 3:23pm
Thank You KULMAN....A lot
One of the best autobiography i am currectly reading is SOROS: The Unauthorized Biography, the Life, Times and Trading Secrets of the World's Greatest Investor 
by http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author-exact=Robert%20Slater&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank/104-8593500-2011968 - Robert Slater (Author)

Inspite of being really busy i have now cut down my sleep to just 4 hours per day to read this.....Really amazing book

This is something written about the book on amazon

1. Page 60: What Soros understood better than most were the cause and effect relationships in the world's economies. If A happened, that B must follow, then C after that.

2. Page 83: The stock market is always wrong, so that if you copy everybody else on Wall Street, you're doomed to do poorly.

3. Page 85: In 1979, Soros renamed his fund...Quantum Fund, in tribute to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics. That principle asserts that it is impossible to predict the behavior of subatomic particples in quantum mechanics, an idea that meshed with Soros's conviction that markets were always in a state of uncertainty and flux that it was possible to make money by discounting the obvious, and betting on the unexpected.

4. Page 92: Soros always says that you shouldnt be in the market unless you are willing to take the pain.

5. Page 110: Short term volatility is greatest at turning points and diminishes as a trend becomes established.

6. Page 159: It is not whether you are right or wrong, but how much money you make when you are right and how much money you lose when you are wrong....If you have tremendous conviction on a trade you have to go for the jugular.It takes courage to be a pig. It takes courage to ride a profit with huge leverage.... When you right on something, you cant own enough

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Oct/2006 at 3:26pm
SomeHow...i really really like these pain quotes... I associate trading with how you deal with pain.....

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Oct/2006 at 3:39pm
It is not whether you are right or wrong, but how much money you make when you are right and how much money you lose when you are wrong....If you have tremendous conviction on a trade you have to go for the jugular.It takes courage to be a pig. It takes courage to ride a profit with huge leverage.... When you right on something, you cant own enough

This advice shoukd be worth more then a million dollars  (if implemented). It is so simple and easy to read but has the power to change our lives if we can implement it. I have been fortunate enough to experience this.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Oct/2006 at 7:42pm

Infact this advice should me made in from of a screensaver in every traders Comp....It takes courage to be a pig.It takes courage to ride a profit with huge leverage.... When you right on something, you cant own enough

BasantJi  could you please write about your experience regarding this.....

This book is a must read and for that i must once again thank Kulman

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Oct/2006 at 7:55pm
Bubble Vision we have had great discussion on this, remember the topic   http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=364 - Diversified vs. Concentrated portfolios Unless you are concentrated  you can't bet enough.

We also discussied this concept in the section  http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=381 - The concept of "Free shares" .You need to hold on to that "winning" position once it starts giving you a profit.

I had listed down my experience in the section http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=290 - Mistakes we made- How we lost our first million(s) . In hindsight I now think that what I thought was risky and lucky was the best way to make money in this market.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Oct/2006 at 8:20pm
Yes i clearly remember..Infact i used the Pig quote back then also....
I thought that you have some new exp to add....

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Oct/2006 at 7:40pm
For those who are interested in finding about scams in Indian markets, I would recommend following book:

THE SCAM: From Harshad Mehta to Ketan Parekh (includes JPC & GTB). Written by Debashis Basu & Sucheta Dalal (Kensource Publicn, Rs 250)

Authors are financial journalists and give a good account of events, chronology etc. Has a good chapter on Shankar Sharma of First Global & his wife Devina Mehra.

-------------

Posted By: s_praharaj
Date Posted: 05/Oct/2006 at 8:23pm
I was recently reading a book titled "What I Learned before I sold to Warren Buffet." A friend of mine sent me the e-book in internet. Its a interesting book written by Barnett C. Helzeberg of Helzeberg Diamonds, which later became a Warren Buffet Company. He has very nicely narrated, how he met Warren Buffet for the first time near the Plaza Hotel on the 58th street of New York. As he was walking in the street he heard someone accosted "Buffet". When he turned back he saw a lady shareholder talking something to Buffet. Buffet was listening to her patiently on the road side and replying. Here Mr Helzeberg saw an opportunity and accosted Buffet offering him to acquire his company, which has all the qualities of a Buffet acquisition. Buffet asked him to send the papers and promised confidentiality. The meeting lasted less than 30 seconds. But it resulted in Helzeberg Diamonds becomming a Buffet Company, without any change in Management.

This reminded me of the accidental meeting our Basant had with Mr Pronoy Roy. I have also seen Mr Roy in a couple of occasions while in Delhi, but I am little shy to accost a person I do not know or familiar with. Like Hezleberg, Basant also got the tip and changed from NDTV to TV18 for better.

However the book is not on successful investing or on stockmarket investing. Its a book very beautifully written on how to devolop a successful enterprise.The book is full of practical examples and advices on how to run a company and take it to greater heights. Afterall its not every company that Warren Buffet acquires. The book is full of tips and advices on how to devolop your own personality and make a successful company.At the end of each chapter, there is a caption with a heading
"Mining for Diamonds" and it shows through bullet points the principles that one should follow to become a successful enterpreneur and human being.

I have the book in pdf format.
If anybody requires it, can give me the e-mail address, so that I can send it.

-------------
Shashi Praharaj

Date Posted: 05/Oct/2006 at 8:30pm
This reminded me of the accidental meeting our Basant had with Mr Pronoy Roy. I have also seen Mr Roy in a couple of occasions while in Delhi, but I am little shy to accost a person I do not know or familiar with. Like Hezleberg, Basant also got the tip and changed from NDTV to TV18 for better

You know I also had this feeling of what if he refuses to talk but once you put in 15% - 25% of your portfolio into that stock the whole shyness vanishes

-------------

Posted By: India_Bull
Date Posted: 08/Oct/2006 at 12:57pm
This list is really excellent and one must go thru these books. I have read few books out of these list but I liked "One up on wall street". An excellent book in a very simple language which makes it easy for a novice to read.
There are no. of theories and books available about investment philosophy, however my experience (thouh little) tells me that one needs to have control over greed and fear. rest of the tings will be taken care...

-------------
India_Bull forever Bull !
www.kapilcomedynights.com

Date Posted: 16/Oct/2006 at 1:58pm
For all you Buffet fans... here is a report on his secrets you can download on this site....

http://www.buffettinvestingsecrets.com/ - http://www.buffettinvestingsecrets.com/

-------------

Date Posted: 23/Oct/2006 at 9:33pm
Shankar Sharma made an interesting observation during his talk on Diwali show about "Indians dominating world opinion/thinking!".

Now read this article on http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_44/b4007091.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_businessweek+exclusives - Karma Capitalism at Business Week. It is a great read on Gita & its practical preachings.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/Nov/2006 at 5:49pm
Here is an intresting presentation on Great  http://www.usc.uwo.ca/clubs/investment/downloads/investors.ppt - Traders

-------------

Date Posted: 03/Nov/2006 at 11:41pm

A small slide show on http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/10/dharma_dons/index_01.htm?campaign_id=rediff - The Dharma Dons: A few of today's most prominent management thinkers of Indian descent.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/Nov/2006 at 11:48pm

BubbleVision, I downloaded that presentation on Great  http://www.usc.uwo.ca/clubs/investment/downloads/investors.ppt - Traders . It is interesting.

Strangely though the filename is "investors.ppt". So I changed the file name while saving on my PC otherwise Mungerilal kind of feeling will resurface!

-------------

Date Posted: 19/Nov/2006 at 7:14pm
This is an interesting read on the youn CEO's of India inc:

http://www.india-today.com/btoday/20060326/cover2.html - http://www.india-today.com/btoday/20060326/cover2.html

-------------

Posted By: xbox
Date Posted: 19/Nov/2006 at 4:48am
I wish that one day I get books written by Basant jee, Rakesh and Ramesh dhamani etc.
These will be more relevent to us and points to future sectors/businesses.

-------------
Don't bet on pig after all bull & bear in circle.

Date Posted: 25/Dec/2006 at 7:30am
In the recent editions of Ben Graham's bible: "The Intelligent Investor", Jason Zweig has added his commentary on each chapter with modern day examples, which makes it very interesting & relevant for readers. Here is an excerpt from his comments on Chapter 1:

THE FINANCIAL VIDEO GAME

Wall Street made online trading sound like an instant way to mint money: Discover Brokerage, the online arm of the venerable firm of Morgan Stanley, ran a TV commercial in which a scruffy tow-truck driver picks up a prosperous-looking executive. Spotting a photo of a tropical beachfront posted on the dashboard, the executive asks, “Vacation?” “Actually,” replies the driver, “that’s my home.” Taken aback, the suit says, “Looks like an island.” With quiet triumph, the driver answers, “Technically, it’s a country.”

The propaganda went further. Online trading would take no work and require no thought. A television ad from Ameritrade, the online broker, showed two housewives just back from jogging; one logs on to her computer, clicks the mouse a few times, and exults, “I think I just made about $1,700!”

In a TV commercial for the Waterhouse brokerage firm, someone asked basketball coach Phil Jackson, “You know anything about the trade?” His answer: “I’m going to make it right now.” (How many games would Jackson’s NBA teams have won if he had brought that philosophy to courtside? Somehow, knowing nothing about the other team, but saying, “I’m ready to play them right now,” doesn’t sound like a championship formula.)

By 1999 at least six million people were trading online—and roughly a tenth of them were “day trading,” using the Internet to buy and sell stocks at lightning speed. Everyone from showbiz diva Barbra Streisand to Nicholas Birbas, a 25-year-old former waiter in Queens, New York, was flinging stocks around like live coals. “Before,” scoffed Birbas, “I was investing for the long term and I found out that it was not smart.” Now, Birbas traded stocks up to 10 times a day and expected to earn $100,000 in a year. “I can’t stand to see red in my profit-or-loss column,” Streisand shuddered in an interview with Fortune. “I’m Taurus the bull, so I react to red. If I see red, I sell my stocks quickly.”

By pouring continuous data about stocks into bars and barbershops, kitchens and cafés, taxicabs and truck stops, financial websites and financial TV turned the stock market into a nonstop national video game.

The public felt more knowledgeable about the markets than ever before. Unfortunately, while people were drowning in data, knowledge was nowhere to be found. Stocks became entirely decoupled from the companies that had issued them—pure abstractions, just blips moving across a TV or computer screen. If the blips were moving up, nothing else mattered.

On December 20, 1999, Juno Online Services unveiled a trailblazing business plan: to lose as much money as possible, on purpose. Juno announced that it would henceforth offer all its retail services for free—no charge for e-mail, no charge for Internet access—and that it would spend millions of dollars more on advertising over the next year.

On this declaration of corporate hara-kiri, Juno’s stock roared up from $16.375 to $66.75 in two days. Why bother learning whether a business was profitable, or what goods or services a company produced, or who its management was, or even what the company’s name was? All you needed to know about stocks was the catchy code of their ticker symbols: CBLT, INKT, PCLN, TGLO, VRSN, WBVN. That way you could buy them even faster, without the pesky two-second delay of looking them up on an Internet search engine. In late 1998, the stock of a tiny, rarely traded building-maintenance company, Temco Services, nearly tripled in a matter of minutes on record-high volume. Why? In a bizarre form of financial dyslexia, thousands of traders bought Temco after mistaking its ticker symbol, TMCO, for that of Ticketmaster Online (TMCS), an Internet darling whose stock began trading publicly for the first time that day.

Oscar Wilde joked that a cynic “knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing.” Under that definition, the stock market is always cynical, but by the late 1990s it would have shocked Oscar himself. A single half-baked opinion on price could double a company’s stock even as its value went entirely unexamined. In late 1998, Henry Blodget, an analyst at CIBC Oppenheimer, warned that “as with all Internet stocks, a valuation is clearly more art than science.” Then, citing only the possibility of future growth, he jacked up his “price target” on Amazon.com from $150 to $400 in one fell swoop. Amazon.com shot up 19% that day and—despite Blodget’s protest that his price target was a one-year forecast—soared past $400 in just three weeks. A year later, PaineWebber analyst Walter Piecyk predicted that Qualcomm stock would hit $1,000 a share over the next 12 months. The stock—already up 1,842% that year—soared another 31% that day, hitting $659 a share.

-------------

Date Posted: 25/Dec/2006 at 8:08am
Have you read "The Bull""? Please do so when ever you get hold of it.

-------------

Date Posted: 25/Dec/2006 at 10:24am
Originally posted by basant

Have you read "The Bull""? Please do so when ever you get hold of it.

Please update us on it ("The Bull"), if possible.

-------------

Posted By: xbox
Date Posted: 24/Jan/2007 at 5:11am
Well. I like Robert Kiyoski. I read his first book RDPD in 2003 and just finished second book on cash-flow. I also read his 'success stories' book. I read his contemporary articles on yahoo finance on regular basis.  He is making quite good money out of this businessLamp
   I like this concept and I advise every member to read first 2 book. I is must read. Warren buffets kind of ppl gives accidental approach to making money whereas this guy gives planned approach to making money (he calls it financial freedom).
Basant jee, can we distribute RDPD from TED fund Smile

-------------
Don't bet on pig after all bull & bear in circle.

Date Posted: 24/Jan/2007 at 9:05am
Basant jee, can we distribute RDPD from TED fund

SOme years down the line we would have a book titled ' Articles at TED" something like what our FM has done recently!!!

-------------

Posted By: omshivaya
Date Posted: 25/Jan/2007 at 1:01pm
Yes Vipul Jee, Robert is a really good writer. I have read his books too some years back. I especially like his idea of "making money work for you" rather than the oher way round, after a certain point of time. Also, his RDPD series related to "buying real-estate" is really good, wherein he says something we all hear all the time: "Value buying".

His real-estate book also says something like, "When buying a property, the value at which to buy should be less than the intrinsic value. There are bound to be undervalued properties in a respectable neighborhood". I equate this somewhat to value buying.

If someone didnt understand clearly what I meant above, he should try reading the real-estate part of the RDPD series.

"The profit on buying a real-estate is made at the time of buying and not at the time of selling!" - Jist of the rea-estate book.

Btw, I have all the RDPD books.

-------------
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it

Posted By: us121
Date Posted: 25/Jan/2007 at 9:01pm

At present i am reading:

OF PERMANENT VALUE, THE STORY OF WARREN BUFFET

BY
ANDREW KILPATRICK.

Very interesting book and giving lots of insight in to lot many things related to Buffet, excellent photographs.

worth reading.

-------------
ABILITY will get u at d top. CHARACTER will retain u at d top

Posted By: deveshkayal
Date Posted: 25/Jan/2007 at 10:29pm
can u share something with us.

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Date Posted: 27/Jan/2007 at 9:24pm
it starts with right from the child hood days of Buffet, his schooling, his initial career, friends, his likings- choices, lots of quotes from people he has interacted with through out his life, lots of details about the companies he has invested in ( i was amazed about reading the details printed about coca-cola in one of the chapter, i will share some other time), the business around the companies he invests, one or two photographs in every chapter. it is about 850 page book with more than 160 chapters. chapter ranges from 1 page to approx 10 pages.
i will share specific content of this book little later.

what i liked the most is unlike many other books on WB, this gives something new to understand him.

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Jan/2007 at 9:35pm
Thanks US121k.......... Sounds very interesting!

Pls post more on it as soon as u find time.

Cud u also let us know ISBN number, name of the publisher & cost of this investment?

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Jan/2007 at 10:57pm
Cost of investment in Buffet is expensive.Good things u dont get cheap. Smile

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Date Posted: 27/Jan/2007 at 11:15pm
Very true....... good things in life aren't cheap and there is no free lunch !

-------------

Date Posted: 29/Jan/2007 at 11:47pm
More on Of permanent value: the story of warren buffet.
author: andrew kipatrick. McGraw Hill. published in 1998
ISBN 0-07-135773-4
http://www.books-mcgraw-hill.com - www.books-mcgraw-hill.com
price $19.95

As the back page describes the book and i endorse:

filled with fascinating facts, rare photographs, and compelling stories from one of the world's leading public figures - all told in nugget-sized cahpters that are fascinating to read and impossible to put down. It is an intrinsically american tale, one to which we can all relate... and from which we can all profit.
---------------------
the book is sort of biography of WB.
---------------------------

preface says:

mr. buffet has neither approved nor disapproved of the book, which is an attempt to portray him as he really is.
Buffet told me (the author) in 1990 that he cotemplates writing a book of his own, which probably will be in the style of his annual reports, and therefore doesn't plan to help others with works about him.

-------------

Date Posted: 29/Jan/2007 at 12:13pm
Thanks Uday jee. I shall check at local bookstores.

-------------

Date Posted: 29/Jan/2007 at 12:43pm
Thank you Uday ji for the info. Keep the good work up.

-------------
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it

Date Posted: 02/Feb/2007 at 6:59am
Here is the compelete story about the shoe shine boy

In the winter of 1928, goes the legend, Joseph Kennedy, the famous American businessman, stopped by a shoeshine stand on the way to his posh Wall Street office. The shoeshine boy worked up a sweat trying to earn a tip, but the humorous Kennedy was going to offer the boy a tip of a different kind.

When the boy swiped the rag across the rich gentleman's shoes for the last time and looked up at him from the dirty sidewalk, Kennedy said: "You've done a fine job, my boy. So, here's a tip for you: Stay in school." And he smiled and chuckled as he walked away pulling up his nubuck leather gloves, walking cane under his armpit, very pleased by the joke.

But the boy was not of the timid kind. "Oh yeah," he yelled back at Kennedy, "well, I got a tip for you too: buy Hindenburg!" Intrigued, Kennedy turned around and walked back. "What did you say?" – "Buy Hindenburg, they are a fine company," said the boy. "How do you know that?" –- "A guy before you said he was gonna buy a bunch of their stocks, that's how." – "I see," said Kennedy. "That's a fine tip. I suppose, I was a little harsh on you earlier," he said, pulling off a glove and reaching in his side pocket for some change. "Here, you've earned it."

Little did Kennedy know that the man whose shoes the clever boy polished before him was not a stockbroker with a hot tip. He was a naval engineer from a base in New Jersey, who, flattered by the kid's attention to his golden-button uniform, told him that for Thanksgiving the navy would float a huge zeppelin in the sky called Hindenburg – but made the boy promise that he would never, never ever get close to it because of the dangerous gas they used to make it fly.

Little did the boy know that Kennedy, a cunning investor, thought to himself: "You know it's time to sell when shoeshine boys give you stock tips. This bull market is over."

-------------

Date Posted: 09/Feb/2007 at 11:36pm
Here's an interesting book review on  http://www.capitalideasonline.com/articles/index.php?id=2147 - Wall Street on Sale ” (Timothy P. Vick)

-------------

Date Posted: 11/Feb/2007 at 6:18pm
DNA-Money on last Sunday carried this review:

What looks like a talented performance could be sheer luck. As Nassim http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1077945 - Nicholas Taleb writes in Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in Markets, “ If one puts an infinite number of monkeys in front of (strongly built) typewriters, and lets them clap away, there is a certainty that one of them would come out with an exact version of the Iliad. Upon examination, this may be less interesting a concept than it appears at first: Such probability is ridiculously low. But let us carry the reasoning one step beyond. Now that we have found that hero among monkeys, would any reader invest his life’s savings on a bet that the monkey would write the Odyssey next?”

So, the past performance in various aspects of life is not a good indicator of things to come, or is it? “I do not deny that if someone performed better than the crowd in the past, there is a presumption of his ability to do better in the future. But the presumption might be weak, very weak, to the point of being useless in decision making. Why? Because it all depends on two factors: The randomness content of his profession and the number of monkeys in operation,” writes Taleb.

Randomness is obviously a complicated word for chance. To prove his point, Taleb considers a situation where in he has 10,000 fictional investment managers. It is assumed that during a year, each one of them has 50% probability of making $10,000 or 50% probability of losing $10,000. It is also assumed that once a manager has had a bad year, i.e. he has lost $10,000, he is thrown out of the sample. “Thus, we will operate like the legendary speculator George Soros who was said to tell his managers gathered in a room: “Half of you guys will be out by next year,” writes the author.

A toss of a coin decides who wins and who looses. “Heads and the manager will make $10,000 every year, tails and he will lose $10,000. We run it for the first year. At the end of the year, we expect 5,000 managers to be up $10,000 each, and 5000 down $10,000. Now, we run the game a second year. Again, we can expect 2,500 managers to be two years in a row; another year, 1,250; a fourth one, 625; a fifth, 313. We have now, simply in a fair game, 313 managers who made money for five years in a row. Out of pure luck,” he writes.

Taleb then makes the argument a lot more interesting. An urn having 45 black and 55 red balls comes in. Every time a ball is drawn, the urn is replaced with a similar ball. If a black ball is drawn then it is assumed that the investment manager earns $10,000 and if a red ball is drawn he is expected to lose $10,000. As Taleb points out, “The manager is thus expected to earn $10,000 with 45% probability, and lose $10,000 with 55%.”

So, at the end of the first year, from a total investment manager population of 10,000, 4,500 managers would have earned a profit of $10,000. The remaining 5,500 managers i.e. 55% of the initial investment manager population, would have lost money and hence not a part of the sample.

“At the end of the first year, we still expect to have 4,500 managers turning a profit (45% of them), the second, 45% of that number, 2025. The third, 911; the fourth, 410; the fifth, 184. Let us give the surviving managers names and dress them in business suits. True, they represent less than 2% of the original cohort. But they will get attention. Nobody will mention the other 98%.”

The point being made here is that a small proportion of bad investment managers can come up with a great track record. Hence, as Taleb writes, “the number of managers with great track records in a given market depends far more on the number of people who started in the investment business (in place of going to dental school), rather than their ability to produce profits.”

And like always, this performance of the select few investment managers will be picked up by the business media, and they’ll go to town about it, making a hero out of them. “We would get very interesting and helpful comments on his remarkable style, his incisive mind, and the influences that helped him achieve that success. Some analysts may attribute his achievement to precise elements among his childhood experiences. His biographer will dwell on the wonderful role models provided by his parents; we would be supplied with black and white pictures in the middle of the book of a great mind in the making,” writes Taleb.

If in the next year, the performance is not up to the mark, the same media will try its best to tear the guy apart. The media likes to create heroes, only to pull them down on the first available opportunity.

“And the following year, should he stop outperforming ( recall that the odds of having a good year have stayed at 50%) they would start laying blame, finding fault with the relaxation in his work ethics, or his dissipated lifestyle. They will find something he did before he was successful that he has subsequently stopped doing, and attribute his failure to that. The truth will be, however, that he simply ran out of luck.”

And as far as the media is concerned, writes Taleb, “People do not realise that the media is paid to get your attention. For a journalist, silence surpasses any word.” But will we ever see a day when a journalist views the matter like a historian and says, “Today the market went up, but this information is not too relevant as it emanates mostly from noise.”

-------------

Date Posted: 11/Feb/2007 at 7:06pm
Very good article Kulman ji.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/Feb/2007 at 7:57pm

“At the end of the first year, we still expect to have 4,500 managers turning a profit (45% of them), the second, 45% of that number, 2025. The third, 911; the fourth, 410; the fifth, 184. Let us give the surviving managers names and dress them in business suits. True, they represent less than 2% of the original cohort. But they will get attention. Nobody will mention the other 98%.” __________________________________________________________

I think this was the crux and we do have heroes for brief periods in our markets. THis makes some real sense.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 2:32pm
The Original http://www.minyanville.com/articles/index.php?a=11904 - Goldilocks story ... compelete  

The Real Goldilocks (As told by a bear).

Here is the real story of Goldilocks and the three bears (as told by a bear).

• Once upon a time there was a family of three bears; a mama bear, a papa bear and a baby bear. 
  • This family of bears lived in a quiet cottage in the woods.
  • One day, waiting for their porridge to cool, they decided to take a leisurely walk in the woods, as bears are known to do.   
  • While they were out on their walk, a little girl named Goldilocks who happened to be playing in a field nearby, discovered their house, and also the porridge inside, which, let's be honest, is not really porridge, but a metaphor for the collective savings of the three bears which they wisely keep under their mattress for fear of an economic collapse. 
  • Being curious, and an expert burglar, Goldilocks managed to break into the three bears' house, though she later claimed the front door was left "wide open."
  • Once inside, she examined the first bowl of "porridge'" (a metaphor for U.S. Treasuries) . 
  • "This porridge is too cold!" she exclaimed.  
  • So she whipped out her cell phone and ordered the Federal Reserve to take some kind of policy action to to try and force this "cold porridge" out of the hands of domestic holders and into the equity markets where returns would look great, even to bears, as long as the bears didn't bother to notice that the returns were due solely to the devaluation of their paper currency. 
  • Moving on to the second bowl of "porridge," which is clearly gold, Goldilocks noted, "This porridge is too hot!" 
  • So she dumped it onto the open market, even going so far as to sell gol... er, "porridge," that she doesn't even own and can never ever possibly physically deliver in order to make it unattractive to bears. 
  • Finally, she moved to the third bowl of "porridge," which in this case is a metaphor for a stack of U.S. dollars that the baby bear kept under his mattress to use as "writing paper." 
  • "Ahhhhh," Goldilocks said.  "This porridge is just right." 
  • Then, she abruptly fell asleep in the baby bear's bed.  (Editor's note:  Certain metaphorical acts committed by Goldilocks, such as raising taxes, browbeating foreign trading partners for structural deflation, etc. have been omitted for the sake of brevity.)
  • As she was sleeping, the three bears came home. 
  • "Someone's been eating my porridge," growled the papa bear.
  • "Someone's been eating my porridge too," growled the mama bear.
  • "And someone's been messing around with my writing paper and used it all up!," cried the baby bear. 
  • Just then, Goldilocks woke up, saw the three bears and screamed.  "Help!," she cried.  "Print more money!" she demanded.  "Buy something... anything!" she screamed. 
  • But it was too late.  
  • By 10:30 a.m. the corporate debt market had locked up, and forced selling by overleveraged hedge funds was spilling over into commodities and equities markets. 
  • By 11 a.m. the first round of trading curbs kicked in, but this had the perversely ill effect of actually withdrawing even more liquidity and bids from the market. 
  • By noon the Federal Reserve had called a special meeting with Wall Street's money center banks to see which, if any, could remain operable through the end of the week. 
  • Goldilocks, meanwhile, was vilified in the press for her reckless breaking and entering and total disregard for good porridge. 
  • The bears felt vindicated, but not particularly good.  After all, in a real bear's market, no one wins, not even the bears. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19/Feb/2007 at 4:01pm

Mohnish Pabrai, Managing Partner of Pabrai Investments, gave an illuminating presentation at this year's 2nd Annual VIC in New York City. Titled, "Dhandho! Low Risk+High Uncertainty = Ultra High Rewards," Mohnish brilliantly illustrates the rise of the Patels in the U.S hotel industry.

Coming as refugees from East Africa, the Patels were filled with entrepreneurial spirit and nothing to lose. By buying small motels, living in the motels, and staffing the motel with family members, the Patels were able to reduce overhead costs down to the bare minimum (low risk).

This low cost structure gave the Patels one of the most prized attributes in all of business: a sustainable competitive advantage. Patels had no idea how their model would work out (high uncertainty), but they did know that they had no downside (the hotels were highly leveraged).

Mohnish referred to this as The Patel Motel Dhandho model (clever choice of words).

So how did this model turn out? Collectively, Patels own over 33% of all U.S hotels (about 20,000) or so worth over $40 billion.

Essentially what Mr. Pabrai is illustrating is the arbitrage spread that exists due to a gap that start ups step in to fill. In the Patel case, because they were able to operate with the lowest costs, they were able to provide the lowest prices and so they generated super sized returns.

Like all arbitrage opportunities, however, over time the gap diminishes. As Patels applied their model on a larger scale, the profits eroded and the gap diminished. In this situation the gap persisted long enough for a lot of Patels to make a lot of money.

I found Mohnish's talk to be brilliantly refreshing. Before his discussion, I was puzzled with the title of his topic, but as I have come to discover about Mr. Pabrai, give him a few minutes and he will explain his thoughts in such a way that you taken by thier combination of simplicity and potency (I am often reminded of Warren Buffett's responses to shareholder at annual meetings in much the same way)

This talk contained valuable nuggets of information that are essential to any long-term investment philosophy: seek out companies with sustainable advantages and you don't need to take on higher risk to generate higher returns.

Mohnish's Dhandho model is a powerful frame work for all equity investors to use.

Source: Sham Gad

-------------

Print Page | Close Window