Print Page | Close Window

Query Board

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Market Strategies
Forum Name: Our stocks. Buy hold or sell - The help ourselves Board
Forum Discription: What do we do with our stock portfolio.Ask any member and for a short opinion.If you know something about a particular stock do tell the forum.These will later be put in as seperate topics
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2823
Printed Date: 27/Apr/2024 at 10:57pm

Topic: Query Board
Posted By: hkumar
Subject: Query Board
Date Posted: 14/Jun/2010 at 1:08pm

Given the immense knowledge of TED members on stock market / tax / other various subjects, I am initiating this thread to ask various questions for which we don’t know the answer and help each other finding it.

I have following question, TED members please comment if you know about it.

Question: If a company gets delisted and an investor doesn’t surrender the shares during open offer. Does he has any option available to sell its shares back to the company later or is he stuck with them.

Replies:
Posted By: basant
Date Posted: 14/Jun/2010 at 1:37pm
Once that is done an investors patience is tested and his conviction rarely rewarded. It is entirely upto the discretion of the company to buy it back and surely companies do not buy back in a bull market

Of course he does receive dividends. Smile

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: EMANI
Date Posted: 14/Jun/2010 at 2:36pm
It is expected that Mahindra satyam is likely to present its restated a/cs for the last 2/3 years and for Mar 2010 before end of june.Can we expect a new life to the company in the hands of Mahindras?

-------------
esn

Posted By: LearningToFly
Date Posted: 14/Jun/2010 at 3:21pm
Any idea about EPS. It's FY 2008 EPS was 25. Should we expect it to be at least Rs. 10?

-------------
Success... at all cost.

Date Posted: 14/Jun/2010 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by basant

Once that is done an investors patience is tested and his conviction rarely rewarded. It is entirely upto the discretion of the company to buy it back and surely companies do not buy back in a bull market

Of course he does receive dividends. Smile

Thanks Basant Ji,

In that case given new delisting guidelines, the companies where the promoter holding is >75%, there is no need to sweeten the open offer. They can just come with an open offer at SEBI calculated formula and let the investor surrender their shares at that price or delist otherwise any way and let the minority shareholders suffer.

Is my understanding correct?

Date Posted: 14/Jun/2010 at 3:56pm
To the best of my knowledge, belief, faith and understanding - YES.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: karn
Date Posted: 16/Jun/2010 at 6:24pm
De listing is painful.   

I have two queries too.

After making stock selection based on personally chosen criteria, does it matters to teddies whether the stock get noticed by the market as in whole?

Second one is about the taxation. I'm a salaried employee. I have been buying stocks from my post taxed money. I'm lately playing with the idea of devising some personal corporation where as myself and my family members will own shares of that corp. And the corp will do biz of equity investing along with realty and agriculture. The advantage I'm planning to have is to take care of my spending needs like buying car, bills of various kinds, holidays etc from the company earnings before tax. The question is am I right in my concept/thinking?

Date Posted: 16/Jun/2010 at 6:46pm
I think you cannot do equity investing as this will come under PMS (portfolio management services) and there are so many things to comply.

What you can do is start a company in realty and agriculture and then you can invest the money from your earnings from this company. Its like any other company that invests surplus money in stock market.

Any thoughts from Teddies will be appreciated.

Originally posted by karn

De listing is painful.   

I have two queries too.

After making stock selection based on personally chosen criteria, does it matters to teddies whether the stock get noticed by the market as in whole?

Second one is about the taxation. I'm a salaried employee. I have been buying stocks from my post taxed money. I'm lately playing with the idea of devising some personal corporation where as myself and my family members will own shares of that corp. And the corp will do biz of equity investing along with realty and agriculture. The advantage I'm planning to have is to take care of my spending needs like buying car, bills of various kinds, holidays etc from the company earnings before tax. The question is am I right in my concept/thinking?

-------------
Success... at all cost.

Date Posted: 16/Jun/2010 at 6:47pm
1) It does matter to me if the stock I own does not get noticed (in terms of price increases). That is because we do not want to be holding stocks for 10 years ultimately the objective of investing is capital gains and not control. 

2) Under the Direct Tax code you will have that advantage but maybe some CA can opine better on this. As per the Draft individuals will get a deduction on their capital gains whereas companies might not qualify for that. In the present case LTCG is tax free for individuals whereas it is treated as Business income for companies.

-------------

Date Posted: 16/Jun/2010 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by riser3

basantji

generally I have observed that there is a disperancy even in sales figures for the numbers reported in websites and annual reports of the company. there also seems some sort of disperancy between for the numbers reported by the same company when used in comparing previous year to this year. I mean  the figures in 2008 annual report are not same as the figures in 2009 annual report (2008 figures are given comparitively as previous year). Is there any website where we get comparitive figures other than downloading from company website.

There is nothing more holy then the AR if there is some descrepency then it would be because of some re-grouping of previous year's figures but broad numbers like sales, profits EPS should be the same.

-------------

Posted By: karn
Date Posted: 16/Jun/2010 at 9:07am
Thanks both of you for your replies. I'll be having this discussions with our CA and let you know the outcome. For those who are into agriculture or are farmers ( holding agriculture land on their names) can avail loans under agri. head which has flexibilities to invest the loans capital on other heads. I know of Kotak who has started this loan. The loans would be given against the land.

Posted By: EquityInv
Date Posted: 16/Jun/2010 at 11:41am
In balance sheet, company disclose "Loans and Advances" along with Debtors and Inventories.

Question: Is it safe to assume that this "Loans and Advances" are creditors and hence we can use it to calculate creditors days? or is there any "interest" bearing component on this "Loans and Advances" money?

-------------
One of the best rules anybody can learn about investing is to do nothing, absolutely nothing, unless there is something to do – James Rogers

Date Posted: 17/Jun/2010 at 12:25pm
No these are assets that the company has given out to others and will either be recovered or else be adjusted in future business transactions.

-------------

Date Posted: 17/Jun/2010 at 4:30pm
Why do you want to calculate Creditors' days? This simply says that on average, company pays to its creditors in x number of days. This information is not really beneficial. I generally assume that these are cash outflows (even though they have not been paid now).

Originally posted by EquityInv

In balance sheet, company disclose "Loans and Advances" along with Debtors and Inventories.

Question: Is it safe to assume that this "Loans and Advances" are creditors and hence we can use it to calculate creditors days? or is there any "interest" bearing component on this "Loans and Advances" money?

-------------
Success... at all cost.

Date Posted: 17/Jun/2010 at 8:58pm

No these are assets that the company has given out to others and will either be recovered or else be adjusted in future business transactions.

Thanks Basantji!

Originally posted by LearningToFly

Why do you want to calculate Creditors' days?

Hi,
I wanted it to calculate Cash Conversion Cycle.

-------------
One of the best rules anybody can learn about investing is to do nothing, absolutely nothing, unless there is something to do – James Rogers

Date Posted: 29/Jun/2010 at 2:26pm

During review of bulk deals, I have observed various buy / sell on a very small difference by the same person in a company.

Example :
14-Jun-2010 Insecticides In (BSE) Smart Equity Brokers Private Limited SELL 68720 189.67
14-Jun-2010 Insecticides In (BSE) Smart Equity Brokers Private Limited BUY 68720 189.66

There are numerous transaction of similar nature in the same stock over last 2-3 months. I have seen this phenomenon in various companies esp newly listed.

What is the rationale of doing these transactions? Is it due to jobbing or other reasons?

Posted By: kneekill
Date Posted: 03/Aug/2010 at 1:25am
any one please help me with this query. what does the following section in annual report imply?

Individual shareholders holding nominal share capital in excess of Rs. 1 lakh

Does it give the number of share holders who own the company shares worth more than 1 lakh in public domain?

How can people hold shares in private domain?

Date Posted: 03/Aug/2010 at 10:13am
Kneekill,
The question is too many and little confusing. Let me see if I can answer. The nominal share value is the face value of a share. So in your case the block letter indicates any investor which has been issued the nominal shares (at face value) exceeding 1 lakh Rs.

-------------
Success... at all cost.

Posted By: anthro
Date Posted: 03/Aug/2010 at 11:05am
Kneekill

Individual shareholders holding nominal share capital in excess of Rs. 1 lakh

This just means those who hold over 10000 shares ( if face value is Rs.10 ) or 20000 shares ( if face value is Rs.5 ) or 50000 shares ( if face value is Rs.2) or 100000 shares ( if face value is Re 1 ).

Anthro

Date Posted: 03/Aug/2010 at 11:08am
hkumar

I have also wondered about this one - The reasons i can think of is

• intergroup transfers
  • taxation related booking and repurchasing
  • jobbing
Appreciate if anyone can shed more light .

Anthro

Posted By: trader31339
Date Posted: 04/Aug/2010 at 12:30pm
Basantji and other senior members :

We should  invest only in Large caps and blueships or we should allocate some portion of money to midcaps and small caps  also ?

I have heard that as far as possible we should  invest in large caps only coz they have established business .......whereas small caps and midcaps can be comparatively  risky ???

I have seen many small caps and midcaps giving good returns over long term compared to large caps.......so confused whether or not  to invest in small/mid caps...

Basantji.....if a person has invested in any large cap and there is all of a sudden crash in mkt and the value  of investment erodes by >40% what he is suppose to do hold...since it was a long term investment ??

Date Posted: 04/Aug/2010 at 12:34pm
A) Having several large caps in the portfolio will do only as good as the index.
B) Small caps carefully chosen are the place from where multibaggers originate!
C) If a stock that you hold goes down with the market analyse the company on the basis of price value metric rather then only a price metric! That will make things easier. I have lived through that in 2008 and let me tell you that the only time when value does not mater to an investor is when it stares at your face.

-------------

Posted By: prabhakarkudva
Date Posted: 04/Aug/2010 at 12:40pm

the only time when value does not mater to an investor is when it stares at your face.

Needs to be framed on the wall.

-------------
Take your chances and keep them in a box until a quieter time.

Posted By: trader31339
Date Posted: 04/Aug/2010 at 12:43pm

A) Having several large caps in the portfolio will do only as good as the index.
B) Small caps carefully chosen are the place from where multibaggers originate!
C) If a stock that you hold goes down with the market analyse the company on the basis of price value metric rather then only a price metric! That will make things easier. I have lived through that in 2008 and let me tell you that the only time when value does not mater to an investor is when it stares at your face.

Ref: Point A : So, in a nutshell, its better to invest in midcaps and small caps as far as returns are concerned?

Ref: Point C : "only time when value does not mater to an investor is when it stares at your face." I did not understand this .

If a person invested in SBIN in year 2008 around 2200, he must have either sold in panic when SBIN fell below 1000 , or even if he kept holding , after 2 years he is just at his buying point :-)  This is somewhat confusing me and so seeking ur advice in such case...please help me out...

Can we use technical analysis in timing our investment entries and exit ?

Posted By: kneekill
Date Posted: 04/Aug/2010 at 1:59pm
thanks LearningToFly  & anthropod  it is clear now. I an new to investing  and did not understand that face value is being termed as nominal share capital

Posted By: tejas.k
Date Posted: 09/Aug/2010 at 2:21pm
Hi All,
I want to open a secondary demat account for in order to separate short term and long term investment. Can anyone suggest a good broker?
Note: I already have icicidirect and don't want to open one more with that. And I don't like reliance money.
Would appreciate if someone could suggest something
1) I am not bothered about high brokerage
2)It would be great if i can open the demat account with ought opening a bank account account with the broker
3)The UI should be good.

Posted By: shivkumar
Date Posted: 09/Aug/2010 at 5:03pm
HDFC Securities is quite good. But you will have to open an account with HDFC Bank.

Posted By: pkumar
Date Posted: 09/Aug/2010 at 5:27pm
Also try Sharekhan (if any of your own has an account with them or could get a demo from their franchisee), they have a good UI and brokerage is also nominal.
Their UI is quite easy to use for a lay person.

-------------
"The news is always a mix of positive and negative. When markets decline, people point to the negative news; and when it increases, the positive news is emphasized." - Bob Farrell

Posted By: Shadofax
Date Posted: 09/Aug/2010 at 5:51pm
Dont know where to put this question ... so thought would put it here.

From the Ridham Desai Interview ET Now
link is here:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Opinion/Interviews/You-cant-get-all-golden-eggs-in-a-single-day-Ridham-Desai-of-Morgan-Stanley/articleshow/6276344.cms?curpg=1

Kitna dum hai yeah argument mein. Without being stock specific.

1. Where is the level of greed, which is now there and it is there on evident basis in the consumption story. A very popular theme, but overstretched theme?

Ridham: Yeah. At the margin, you want to lighten up on consumption and favour investment. This is a very natural economic cycle. There is nothing odd about this. Economic cycles usually start with a recovery in consumption because interest rates are depressed, which allows consumers to start spending money and then it transitions to an investment cycle as capacity utilisation lives.

We are talking about, say, autos, we are talking about retail and consumer goods, durables. So that’s usually what kick starts a new economic cycle. So assume that in the third quarter of 2009 or may be not third quarter but second quarter of 2009, India’s economy dropped and then the recovery started. It was led by consumption. One thing which I will highlight here is that India has a very strong underlying income growth because we are structurally in a very different period now than what we were 10 years ago. So a young population that’s adding people to the workforce, drives income growth and it pushes consumption. So that’s what happened and interest rates were low. So consumption recovers, then capacity utilisation rises. So as consumption recovers, people produce more and capacity utilisation rises.

Good example is the auto sector where everybody is now approaching full utilisation rates and now looking to add capacity.

So when people start looking to add capacity, that’s when you want to buy the investment related stocks,
i.e.
- the industrials
- the companies that make capital goods
- the companies that make equipment

... those are the sectors that actually start doing well.

We want to start lightening up on consumption and buy investment and that should be pretty much the way you should position portfolios for the next 12 months.

<<Can people please express their views on this. It may be true that the a few stocks in the Consumption story will outperform, but do you subscribe to the overall above argument..>>

<<its Ridham >>

-------------
$

Posted By: vijaygawde
Date Posted: 09/Aug/2010 at 6:48pm
Confused if the answer was by Ruchir or Riddham.

I have a great respect [Wink] to these two souls:

Shankar Sharma: He’s the kind of grim Oracle you can’t wish away. He’s the man who called the debacle that was 2008 much earlier than anybody else did.

2. Riddham Desai: He cannot be ignored at all. Last year, he argued the Sensex would move from 14,000 to 19,000. It almost, almost got there.

Originally posted by Shadofax

Dont know where to put this question ... so thought would put it here.

From the Ridham Desai Interview ET Now
link is here:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Opinion/Interviews/You-cant-get-all-golden-eggs-in-a-single-day-Ridham-Desai-of-Morgan-Stanley/articleshow/6276344.cms?curpg=1

Kitna dum hai yeah argument mein. Without being stock specific.

1. Where is the level of greed, which is now there and it is there on evident basis in the consumption story. A very popular theme, but overstretched theme?

Ruchir: Yeah. At the margin, you want to lighten up on consumption and favour investment. This is a very natural economic cycle. There is nothing odd about this. ...........

-------------
Diversification is protection against ignorance, it makes little sense for those who know what they’re doing.

Posted By: tejas.k
Date Posted: 09/Aug/2010 at 11:35pm
thanks shivkumar and pkumar.
I have decided to go with hdfc securities.

Posted By: kapil1301
Date Posted: 12/Aug/2010 at 1:04pm
Hi Seniors,

I have one query : From where I can learn that When the Dividends or Bonus stocks will be given to me.
Is their a way of knowing the date.
I get the details of Ex-Date from the BSE/NSE website but still cannot make out the date when the Dividends or Bonus shares will be actually creduted in my account.
Please if anybody has information about it.

Regards,
Kapil

-------------
Thanks
kapil

Date Posted: 13/Aug/2010 at 3:22pm
Query from my side:

How can we determine the Expected EV/EBITDA Multiple to be gievn to a company?

What is its relation with the 3 to 5 yrs growth of the company?

-------------
$

Date Posted: 13/Aug/2010 at 3:40pm

Query from my side:

EV/EBIDTA is an engineered way of looking at the PE ratio! But to determine what EV?EBIDTA is fair and what is unfair is a matter of subjective judgment and will be based on how we determine the fair PE of any stock.

Normally the PE should be equal to growth so we can use this logic for determining the EV?EBIDTA also.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Aug/2010 at 3:43pm
Okay Regarding my query on Ev/Ebitda multiple .... It is w.r.t this company

Please have a look at Halonix Ltd.
-----------------------------------
In a nutshell: 

-They are in the process of selling their loss making unit of General Lighting Business. (50% sales from that). They will sell it at book value of 75 cr. Buyer is ready.

- Halonix have also acquired 2 distributors in Europe who sell Automotive lights. But the value is not knows. But not more than 75cr will be spent on this acquisitions. They have given resons about how this acquisition is a strategic one (Forward integration)

Valuation Rationale / Logic 
Assuming EV/EBITDA = 8x (Now here is where I am confused... what shoudl be the multiple.)

Therefore, EV = 400 crores (Atleast) 
Cash = 75 cr (sales from proceeds from General lighting business which is loss making) 
Debt = 65 crores for the profit making entity 

400 = Mcap + 65 - 75 - 14 (cash on BS)
Expected MCAP = 429 crores - 75 crores (max for the acquisition of Distributers businesses in EU) = 354 crores
Current Mcap = 300 crores 

So even with all the conservative figures there is 18% upside

Conservative because: 
a. EV/EBITDA multiple of 8 (a few whom I consulted told me it should be atleast 10 .. buy y I dont know.)
b. Assuming no growth from the segment of Automotive lights which was 15% to 20% last year.
c. Assuming that the business bought in EU will give 0 (zero) profit to Halonix. 

-----
See if someone can provide a view on Ev/ Ebitda multiple .. what should it be for a company which is in Lighting sector. And how do we justify it.

The management is comparitively clean (its Actis Private Equity with 66% stake)

-------------
$

Date Posted: 13/Aug/2010 at 3:50pm
Last year the company's Automotive division grew at 15%
and according to company guidance it will grow by 20% this year.

But thats company guidance...

-------------
$

Posted By: Catalyst
Date Posted: 16/Aug/2010 at 12:49pm

To add to what Basantji said on PE analogy, to apply it on EV/EBIDTA multiple, As a thumb rule, EV/EBIDTA should be around 60% of the fair PE, this is to allow for Interest, Depreciation and Taxes.

The rationale is, think of a company as a debt-free cash-free company (hence the EV would be equal to Mcap).

Assume it is growing at a CAGR of 20%. the fair PE would be 20 (PEG of 1), Considering that it does a PAT of Rs.100 cr. The Mcap would be Rs.2000 cr

Now do some backward calculation to arrive at EBIDTA, at full corporate tax rate of around 33% and some deprecation (there won’t be any other income or interest expense as it’s a debt-free cash-free company), the EBIDTA should be around Rs.160 cr.

Now if you give it an EV/EBIDTA of 20, the company’s value will go upto Rs.3200 cr, which would be very high. Giving it an EV/EBIDTA of 12 (60% of fair PE), the valuation will work out to be Rs.1920 cr (around the fair PE valuation).

One can do it with assuming some debt (for which Interest expense will also come in picture) but more or less the EV/EBIDTA would fall in 60% ballpark of fair PE.

-------------
What’s Euphoria, think of it as obscenity. Though its probably impossible to formulate a test for Obscenity but you know when you see it.

Date Posted: 16/Aug/2010 at 2:15pm
Thx Catalyst

-------------
$

Date Posted: 22/Aug/2010 at 9:38am
What does "Deferred Tax Assets" and "Deferred Tax Liability" means in laymans term? How does it impact financials/business? Is it bad sign if company have very high ratio Deferred Tax Liability/Deferred tax Assets?

-------------

Posted By: fuzzylogic
Date Posted: 29/Sep/2010 at 6:31pm
Hello friends. i have bought 13,000 shares of anus laboratories ltd at the

avg price of Rs 8.5

I am in deep loss and i am holding this script since last year. Kindly guide

me out through this trouble.

should i book loss? and invest somewhere else or is there any hope to

at least get my money recovered.

thanking you all for your valuable time and guidance.

Posted By: leo2007
Date Posted: 29/Sep/2010 at 7:26pm
I liked the name of the company.

Originally posted by fuzzylogic

Hello friends. i have bought 13,000 shares of anus laboratories ltd at the

avg price of Rs 8.5

I am in deep loss and i am holding this script since last year. Kindly guide

me out through this trouble.

should i book loss? and invest somewhere else or is there any hope to

at least get my money recovered.

thanking you all for your valuable time and guidance.

Date Posted: 30/Sep/2010 at 1:09pm
anus labs - the promoters might be having either great sense of humour or believe in "backward integration" LOL

Posted By: navtej91
Date Posted: 30/Sep/2010 at 2:16pm

Query from my side:

EV/EBIDTA is an engineered way of looking at the PE ratio! But to determine what EV?EBIDTA is fair and what is unfair is a matter of subjective judgment and will be based on how we determine the fair PE of any stock.Normally the PE should be equal to growth so we can use this logic for determining the EV?EBIDTA also.

I have one doubt here.. will be glad if u could clear it .. u say pe to growth = 1 should come out with a fair value but
u are looking for growth for how many years .. If u say 5 years CAGR then there may also be an issue where in between there is high growth like SUGAR or growth could be high for 1-2 years of 5 years taken in to account and rest years we may not get good growth ...therefore is it fair to judge the fair value on PEG.

Posted By: dilip.r
Date Posted: 30/Sep/2010 at 5:34pm
in case of satyam..... what was done to rajus shares..!!!!

Date Posted: 30/Sep/2010 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by dilip.r

in case of satyam..... what was done to rajus shares..!!!!

Likely to be sold of incase there is any legal liability arising against him .. including his personal assets outside satyam..

Posted By: pkumar
Date Posted: 01/Oct/2010 at 5:07pm
Has any of the TEDDIES subscribed to New Pension Scheme
If yes, please share your experience

-------------
"The news is always a mix of positive and negative. When markets decline, people point to the negative news; and when it increases, the positive news is emphasized." - Bob Farrell

Posted By: Kabootar
Date Posted: 09/Oct/2010 at 6:14pm
theres no publicity at all about Nps, it a tragedy. id like to know if its legal to have more than one demat account. i used to think u could have only one but i got a brochure that says i can open another. is this possible?

-------------
Verbal diarrhoea! A most deadly disease.

Posted By: TCSer
Date Posted: 09/Oct/2010 at 8:15pm
HKumar

What are you doing with Ramki?

I am still feeling Jor Ka Jhatka

Posted By: garun1980
Date Posted: 10/Oct/2010 at 7:19am
Hi friends,

I am new here, joined this forum yesterday. I wanted your opinion on REC. I sold out half of my holdings in REC on October 8 at Rs.387. I do believe that the stock has potential, but also wonder whether it has run its course. The impending correction of 5-7 pct, which may or may not come, is also on my mind. I do want to hold this stock, but believe booking profits now and then helps in lowering the holding cost.

Should I cover this stock in the next few days? What is the outlook for this stock? Can some of the seniors advise me?

Regards

-------------
Back in school!!

Posted By: new2investing
Date Posted: 12/Oct/2010 at 6:19pm

hi all,

i want to know if one can short sell stocks for more than one day? I tried short selling once but i had to square off my position the same day.  Is there some way to keep your short positions for a longer duration??? 

-------------
Learner...

Posted By: chimak10
Date Posted: 12/Oct/2010 at 7:15pm
F&o.........option for stocks are illiquid and in very few stocks are in futures too.

Posted By: SimpleInv
Date Posted: 12/Oct/2010 at 12:12pm
I would like to hear your views on Zodiac clothing, Best casual shirts(z3) and party wear(ZOD). My personal opinion on few of the linen shirts is that they are as good as HUGO BOSS, if not better. very decent online store zodiaconline.com. Can't this be part of India consumption story?

Date Posted: 12/Oct/2010 at 12:18pm
I posted this query on REC and every time I get a notification I think its on REC. But from F&O to Zodiac ughh!!! BTW anything to with textile/esp retail textile is going one way..that is down..koutons..cantabil..irrespective of the fundamentals..i wouldn't venture there for now

-------------
Back in school!!

Posted By: SimpleInv
Date Posted: 12/Oct/2010 at 9:50am
Zodiac is my query Arun :). I am holding REC since IPO days, it is a solid company.

Date Posted: 12/Oct/2010 at 9:57am
Yes sure agree..i have booked decent profits but have covered my position and gone overboard a bot on it so just trying to get some tech analysis perspective..i am not an expert on that..goin by the trend it may correct to 350 from the cmp of 380..so wondering whether i should sell out right now and purchase at a lower level..say in two months:)

like i said..stay out of textile for now..its the kouton's overhang..cantbil is gettign thrashed as well cos of that

-------------
Back in school!!

Date Posted: 23/Nov/2010 at 7:14am
hi fellow teddies, i have the following query -
If one wants to open one more trading account with some broker other than his current one, then will a new demat account also be opened or will it be just 1 more trading account linked with the demat account he currently has?

-------------
Learner...

Date Posted: 23/Nov/2010 at 7:30am
yes, both a new trading and a new demat account will be opened

-------------
Back in school!!

Date Posted: 24/Nov/2010 at 5:07pm
thanks garun

-------------
Learner...

Posted By: Stockpicker
Date Posted: 06/Dec/2010 at 9:45am
Hi TED Members , We all seem to agree that consumer oriented stocks will do well in India. Has anybody looked at Gillette India seriously? I am a a very satisfied and loyal user of Gillette Products . I feel this is a company with a durable competitive edge . What are your thougts?

-------------
Knowledge in action is power

Date Posted: 07/Dec/2010 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Stockpicker

Hi TED Members , We all seem to agree that consumer oriented stocks will do well in India. Has anybody looked at Gillette India seriously? I am a a very satisfied and loyal user of Gillette Products . I feel this is a company with a durable competitive edge . What are your thougts?

It is a certainly a good stock but not at current prices...????

Date Posted: 07/Dec/2010 at 12:53pm
Any Views On Hanung toys after its recent fall ....???

Date Posted: 07/Dec/2010 at 5:56am
Avoid.

-------------

Posted By: nav_1996
Date Posted: 07/Dec/2010 at 11:32am
Agree. Hanung toys should be on "Never Buy" list.

Date Posted: 08/Dec/2010 at 6:13pm
Few stocks that should be generally avoided are those in which there is huge amount of operator activities.

In the last few days for unknown reason (but for good) CBI has unearthed the names of big operators who were rigging up the stock prices by circular trading and media (of course for their own benefit) has accelerated the problems by attaching a word -"SCAM". Too much dilution of the word SCAM.

So be sure that we dont have stocks of the operators ... or even in the overall bull market we will loose big time.

-------------
$

Posted By: footy
Date Posted: 08/Dec/2010 at 8:42pm
Newbie question - how does one find out whether a stock is being manipulated? Are there some typical signs?

Posted By: srihsd1
Date Posted: 08/Dec/2010 at 10:02pm

Few stocks that should be generally avoided are those in which there is huge amount of operator activities.

In the last few days for unknown reason (but for good) CBI has unearthed the names of big operators who were rigging up the stock prices by circular trading and media (of course for their own benefit) has accelerated the problems by attaching a word -"SCAM". Too much dilution of the word SCAM.

So be sure that we dont have stocks of the operators ... or even in the overall bull market we will loose big time.

Another newbie question.

What does a promoter of a company does? And what does an operator does and can do? and what can promoter and operator do together?

Going through the stock market news last few days, I realized that they can together do very bad things and confused about their roles...  don't know what they are supposed to do and what they are capable of doing when they collute.

I appreciate your answers.

-------------
Best Regards
Sri

Posted By: bearish
Date Posted: 08/Dec/2010 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by footy

Newbie question - how does one find out whether a stock is being manipulated? Are there some typical signs?

A good example is Cals refinery. the volumes on this counter were huge. considering that the refinery is still to be built! small investors who don't know how to read fundamentals simply check most traded tickers on moneycontrol and take the dive...in the process fried themselves if they bet heavily

Posted By: bitu1978
Date Posted: 08/Dec/2010 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by srihsd1

Few stocks that should be generally avoided are those in which there is huge amount of operator activities. In the last few days for unknown reason (but for good) CBI has unearthed the names of big operators who were rigging up the stock prices by circular trading and media (of course for their own benefit) has accelerated the problems by attaching a word -"SCAM". Too much dilution of the word SCAM. So be sure that we dont have stocks of the operators ... or even in the overall bull market we will loose big time.

Another newbie question.

What does a promoter of a company does? And what does an operator does and can do? and what can promoter and operator do together?

Going through the stock market news last few days, I realized that they can together do very bad things and confused about their roles...  don't know what they are supposed to do and what they are capable of doing when they collute.

I appreciate your answers.

One of the Worst Investment is in a stock where promoters Collude with Operators to Manipulate Stock prices. This type Of scenario Creates huge wealth for promoters and Operators at the expense of Gullible shareholders

Date Posted: 14/Dec/2010 at 5:29pm

hi fellow teddies,

I am looking for answers to 2 questions regarding share buy back programs:

1. say if the buyback price is Rs 100 and the share is trading below that price at the time of buyback period then which price is considered for buyback, the market price or the specified one?

2. what is the procedure to surrender the shares back to the company(if held in demat form)?

as always thanks in advance :)

-------------
Learner...

Date Posted: 14/Dec/2010 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by new2investing

2. what is the procedure to surrender the shares back to the company(if held in demat form)?

as always thanks in advance :)

The company send you a form which has to be filled and deposited with them before the cut off date.

-------------

Posted By: footy
Date Posted: 22/Jan/2011 at 6:25pm
There are so many sites giving stock and company related info. How do members keep track of news regarding stocks they are interested in? Google alerts? Any other tools?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Posted By: shivkumar
Date Posted: 22/Jan/2011 at 6:28pm
google alerts is very good. set it to 'comprehensive'

Posted By: itzarjun
Date Posted: 23/Jan/2011 at 4:35am
Question on Insider selling. Is there a way to figure out the exact reason for insider selling? I've been looking at a company called Medifast in US and I feel its got pretty good numbers but can't figure out the reason for insider selling..thanks in advance..

-------------
-Be Fearful when others are Greedy and Be Greedy when others are fearful-Buffett.

Posted By: j2eeprofessiona
Date Posted: 27/Jan/2011 at 9:23pm
can someone give a technical analysis on  Timex?

Posted By: Jaishrikrishna
Date Posted: 27/Jan/2011 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by j2eeprofessiona

can someone give a technical analysis on  Timex?

Its holding well 33 levels, and bouncing back., watch out for 43 a weekly close above that will take it to 50's.u shouldn't be holding it below 30/-

-------------
Don't Buy and Hold, Buy and Homework / Fish see the bait,but not the hook; Men see the profit, but not the peril.

Date Posted: 27/Jan/2011 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Jaishrikrishna

Its holding well 33 levels, and bouncing back., watch out for 43 a weekly close above that will take it to 50's.u shouldn't be holding it below 30/-

i was hoping if could let me know what happens above 50 and how does the long term charts look like and possible 1 yr target. thanks of the above information anyways..its reassuring... accidently, but it seems i bought at strong support level Smile ...

Posted By: Jaishrikrishna
Date Posted: 27/Jan/2011 at 9:51pm

Originally posted by Jaishrikrishna

i was hoping if could let me know what happens above 50 and how does the long term charts look like and possible 1 yr target. thanks of the above information anyways..its reassuring... accidently, but it seems i bought at strong support level Smile ...

Above 52, it will be in a whole new trajectory, so cannot predict, though fundamentals will play an imp. part in deciding the faith of this one.

-------------
Don't Buy and Hold, Buy and Homework / Fish see the bait,but not the hook; Men see the profit, but not the peril.

Date Posted: 29/Jan/2011 at 11:35am
i have a query, now i understand that in one FY the promoters can increase their stake my max 5%... is there a way to increase the promoter holding beyond 5% in one year. e.g can they increase their holding by more than 5% by coming out with an open offer ?

Date Posted: 31/Jan/2011 at 10:15pm
i am really hoping that someone would answer my query... basant ji??/

Posted By: Bhupan
Date Posted: 28/Mar/2011 at 9:15pm
I had a query about the words or terms " absolute growth " and " relative growth " ?  I was watching a television show and these two words were used on repeatative basis . I tried to do a google and was unable to guage the examples stated. Can anyone put forward an explanation ??

Date Posted: 26/Apr/2011 at 8:27pm
How can NRI [living in US] invest in Indian equity? I enquired with few brokerage [including ICICI,HDFC, etc] but they don't provide demat services to NRI based in US. [They do provide service for NRIs living elsewhere]. Does anybody know how can US based NRI invest in Indian equities?

-------------

Date Posted: 22/May/2011 at 10:02pm
if the promoters issue  Preferential Issue to themselves which takes their holding above 15%, shouldnt that trigger an open offer from promoters??

Date Posted: 22/May/2011 at 12:36pm

if the promoters issue  Preferential Issue to themselves which takes their holding above 15%, shouldnt that trigger an open offer from promoters??

anyone ?

Posted By: paps3535
Date Posted: 26/May/2011 at 1:18pm
Smartlink Network Systems Limited announced that June 01, 2011 has been fixed as record date for the purpose of payment of Special Interim Dividend if approved by the Board of Directors, payable to the Shareholders. 

If I buy Smartlink today,& sell it on 2nd of June,Will I be eligible for Dividend?..

(30 Rs. dividend for 100 rs stock,Mann mein laddoo foot rahe hai..)

-------------
Everything has good end.if it is not good,then it is not the end.

Posted By: Rehan
Date Posted: 26/May/2011 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by paps3535

Smartlink Network Systems Limited announced that June 01, 2011 has been fixed as record date for the purpose of payment of Special Interim Dividend if approved by the Board of Directors, payable to the Shareholders. 

If I buy Smartlink today,& sell it on 2nd of June,Will I be eligible for Dividend?..

(30 Rs. dividend for 100 rs stock,Mann mein laddoo foot rahe hai..)

Yes , But ex dividend the stock will probably open 30 rupees lower

Posted By: Investor2011
Date Posted: 19/Sep/2011 at 10:07pm
Hi friends..This is my first post and i am hoping that i am posting in the right section.
I had a query on demerger. Hope someone among you would be able to help me understand it better. I am trying to understand the demerger of TCI ( Transport corporation of India).The ratios of demerger are as follows

"After the demerger, shareholders of TCI will get one equity share of 10 rupee face value in the transferee company, TCI Developers Ltd, against every 20 equity shares of 2 rupee face value."

So my queries are
1) if i had 100 shares of TCI does it mean that after demerger i will have 100 shares of TCI and 5 shares of TCI developers or would it be 95 and 5? or is it some other value.

2) Post demerger will the number of shares of TCI (outstanding shares) remain the same or will it reduce by 1/20th?

3) Will the balance sheet of TCI remain the same after demerger or will the book value etc change? When i looked at the latest BL infact everything seems to have increased..

4) Current price of TCI is 86 and TCI developers is 165 (TCI developer was around 300 and TCI around 90 after demerger)

Can you friends please help me understand this as i am confused on the above..Thanks in advance,
Have a good day

Print Page | Close Window