Print Page | Close Window

Voltas V/s Bluestar V/s Hitachi

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Market Strategies
Forum Name: Comparing Stocks within the same sector
Forum Discription: Here we would discuss the various stocks that are available within the sector and provide insights on the better option.
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2735
Printed Date: 26/Apr/2024 at 10:33am

Topic: Voltas V/s Bluestar V/s Hitachi
Posted By: Monkey
Subject: Voltas V/s Bluestar V/s Hitachi
Date Posted: 21/Apr/2010 at 9:58pm

I think Voltas & Bluestar are very different from Hitachi. Hence, comparing Voltas & Bluestar with Hitachi would be like comparing Apples with oranges.

Let us look at revenue profile. For year ending March '09, Voltas derived approx 65% of revenue from electro-mechanical projects & services. Revenue from unitary cooling products was approx 21%.

For Blue star, electro-mechanical projects contributed approx 70% of revenue whereas share of cooling products was approx 24%.

Hitachi has only one segment called home appliances consisting of A/C and Refrigerators. I believe based on data on Indiainfoline that contribution of A/C is 84% of revenue and balance by refrigerators.

That is the difference between these companies. I am bullish on urban middle class consumption story due to rising incomes and aspirations. More & more people have less and less tolerance for withstanding scorching summer heat in middle  class India and solution is buying A/C for home when affordability permits.

This is where Hitachi scores. Voltas and Bluestar depend more on commercial segment and corporate capex. There are issues like impact of rising interest rates on capex and bargaining power of corporates for large electro-mechanical projects. These issues are relatively not there for Hitachi where retail consumer tired of facing hot summer buys A/C come what may.

Penetration of home A/C is rising and has still lot of scope. This gives it size. Therefore, Hitachi has more scope for margin expansion and increasing revenue compared to Voltas and Bluestar. 

Basically Hitachi is direct play on retail consumption and rise of urban middle class whereas Voltas and Bluestar do not represent such direct exposure.

This does not mean that Voltas and Bluestar are not good stock picks. Their inclusion in TED-XI speaks a lot. However, Hitachi offers direct exposure to urban consumption theme which is its USP.

Comments from TED members are welcome.

Replies:
Posted By: j2eeprofessiona
Date Posted: 21/Apr/2010 at 11:06pm
hitachi is no doubt technically a better A/C but its way too expensive than voltas or blue star. blue star is not very common in the retail area, but comparatively voltas is. Secondly, voltas is around 30% cheaper than hitachi A/C. yes thats correct. I had done a market survey for A/Cs a month back and found hitachi to be around 30-50 % higher than voltas (which in turn is around 10% expensive than the other companies- blue star excluded). and the way indian consumer is value concious i think hitachi and retail consumption should not be linearly linked.

Posted By: Monkey
Date Posted: 21/Apr/2010 at 11:47pm
Point here is not so much of which A/C is cheaper. Contribution of home A/C in revenue is relatively very less for Voltas and Blue star. Hence, from exposure point of view, Hitachi is more direct play on consumption compared to Voltas or Blue star.

Your point on pricing is taken. However, I think as long as Hitachi is able to increase revenue with margin expansion, it should be OK as product positioning is for premium market. We need to watch out as company is still in investment mode. I think it will take some time to reduce debt and stabilise financials.

Posted By: mohitrathi8
Date Posted: 21/Apr/2010 at 1:57am
voltas a/c will sell much more in the affordability segment. and even in the imported brands there is lot of competition from panasonic, samsung, lg, etc

Date Posted: 21/Apr/2010 at 9:40am
Originally posted by mohitrathi8

voltas a/c will sell much more in the affordability segment. and even in the imported brands there is lot of competition from panasonic, samsung, lg, etc

yes true, but hitachi A/Cs are technically best in the world.

Date Posted: 21/Apr/2010 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Monkey

We need to watch out as company is still in investment mode. I think it will take some time to reduce debt and stabilise financials.

i guess they started production of one more manufacturing unit this year and going forward that should handsomely contribute to the numbers.

Posted By: bearish
Date Posted: 22/Apr/2010 at 1:54pm
Monkey Ji thank you for initiating this subject. I just got my Hitachi AC serviced and the serviceman was quite professional about his work. He informed me that earlier the company was relying on dealers for service and repair extensions and now the company has direct representatives from their service centres. Looks like they are expanding full on in customer care divisions. He also told me that the ACs are selling like hot cakes. I would think so as whatever money i spent extra over any other brand, i save in electricity bills as it is quite power efficient..just my two cents on this.

Posted By: nannu_68
Date Posted: 22/Apr/2010 at 8:43pm
If it helps!!
I bought a Hitachi 15 days back and now one of my relatives is also going for one!! the dealer does not have time... poor guy is running around like a blue a**e fly!! AC sales have picked up a lot in this season and Indian consumer is graduating from "good enough" to 'good'.. I think this segment is going to throw some BIG surprises when Jun results come out!!

-------------
nannu

Posted By: mohitrathi8
Date Posted: 22/Apr/2010 at 11:30pm
it has already run up nearly ten times from its low so there are some reservations.. but then it could always double from here too.. :-P

Posted By: Khan
Date Posted: 07/Jun/2010 at 3:43pm
http://www.smartinvestor.in/market/Marketnews-30867-Marketnewsdet-ANALYSIS_Voltas_vs_Blue_Star.htm - Voltas vs Blue Star

-------------
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten

Posted By: Bhupan
Date Posted: 11/Mar/2011 at 8:45pm
deleted  

Posted By: manish_okhade
Date Posted: 12/Mar/2011 at 9:13am
Initially i too got tempted with indian consumption theory in domestic appliance place but on market survey i found the list of players so big that its difficult to determine who will wield the purchasing power.

-Hitachi
-Samsung
-Bosch
-IFB
-Blue Star
-Godrej
-Voltas
-Whirlpool
- and so on.......

AC, Fridge, Oven etc are still like commodity. There is nothing which makes any of them distinguished. I equate them to textile sector where any tom, dick and harry can make cloths if capital is available.

Success factors are RM cost mgmt, Marketing Budget/skills (extremely important), after sales support and dealership network. Whirlpool seems to be scopring on all front. But again this is something other platyers will also acheive unlike for example Maruti Automobiles of Car segment where Maruti is in India for past 40 yeares so it will take lots of time for new entrants to catch up.

I give it a pass.

Posted By: subu76
Date Posted: 12/Mar/2011 at 9:38am
Originally posted by manish_okhade

AC, Fridge, Oven etc are still like commodity. There is nothing which makes any of them distinguished. I equate them to textile sector where any tom, dick and harry can make cloths if capital is available.

Manish Bhai, are purchase decisions and differentiation here based purely on price and price alone? (for these to be a true commodities like say textiles)

I find that the answer is no....a lot of people have pretty strong brand preferences and some products do have differentiation features. For e.g. I find that for ACs i prefer Hitachi and for refrigerator i prefere Whirlpool

Please lemme know if my understanding is wrong.

Posted By: paragdesai
Date Posted: 12/Mar/2011 at 10:17am
Originally posted by subu76

Manish Bhai, are purchase decisions and differentiation here based purely on price and price alone? (for these to be a true commodities like say textiles)

I find that the answer is no....a lot of people have pretty strong brand preferences and some products do have differentiation features. For e.g. I find that for ACs i prefer Hitachi and for refrigerator i prefere Whirlpool

Please lemme know if my understanding is wrong.

Agreed Subuji.

I saw people waiting for delayed delivery of Whirlpool's Aviator  AC Model though competitors models were readily available. Same thing is also true for some Hitachi AC models.

This is also  true for some SONY TV models. So now brand is playing part on purchasing decision despite lot of players around.

Among listed consumers Whirlpool is looking strongest for future growth in variety of products with innovation but at CMP it's a good buy or not is debatable.

-------------
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity ....

Posted By: vaib
Date Posted: 12/Mar/2011 at 11:18am
In Indian markets pricing can't be denied as an factor. Its ultimately about where would growth would come in and not if few people prefer a certain brand. Samsung started giving decent phones for 6-9k which nokia was charging 16-20k, samsung is suddenly a hit even before android came to market. Before that samsung was considered a 3rd class phone. I would never buy a whirlpool fridge if same thing is available with any other respected brand with cheaper valuation. See variation of margins with hitachi, better to see numbers than just talking.

Date Posted: 13/Mar/2011 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by vaib

In Indian markets pricing can't be denied as an factor. Its ultimately about where would growth would come in and not if few people prefer a certain brand. Samsung started giving decent phones for 6-9k which nokia was charging 16-20k, samsung is suddenly a hit even before android came to market. Before that samsung was considered a 3rd class phone. I would never buy a whirlpool fridge if same thing is available with any other respected brand with cheaper valuation. See variation of margins with hitachi, better to see numbers than just talking.

Hi Vaib,

You have a point....but i'd like to point out that Pricing power and brands are two different aspects (though related)..Also, target segment of brands cannot be divorced from the discussion

Commodities are ones where even a minor price difference would cause one to switch.

Hitachi reduced it's prices to enter smaller towns with considerable success but i can bet it's prices are still much above competition.

Needless to say brands play a much smaller role in the white goods segment because true differentiation is tough but I'd argue it does play a role.

I remember many years back Onida's "Neighbours envy and owner pride" ads lead to a surge in sales though they did not really have anything special in terms of offerings......

It's hard to find great moat brands.... Cry

Posted By: manish_okhade
Date Posted: 13/Mar/2011 at 12:57pm
What i mean here any kind of moat for any player can not be sustainable. One has to reinvent the branding consistantly to remain afloat in the market.

Instead look for businesses where sustainablility is somehow predictable. Well different opinions make the marketSmile .

Date Posted: 13/Mar/2011 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by manish_okhade

What i mean here any kind of moat for any player can not be sustainable. One has to reinvent the branding consistantly to remain afloat in the market.

Instead look for businesses where sustainablility is somehow predictable. Well different opinions make the marketSmile .

Agreed.....there is this constant need for running fast all the time..and on all fronts....anyone who rests for a while it a goner (like Whirlpool was a few years back) ..

It's not as easy as say collecting rents every month....

That is what makes these businesses not so attractive..that plus the fact that earnings can drop off should a slow down happen.....

Only an industry insider can have genuine edge over the market

Posted By: ambore
Date Posted: 13/Mar/2011 at 1:45am
It looks Panasonic has aggressive plans for India, they want to capture good part of AC market in India. First time time, I bought a two ton split from Panasonic which I think is value for money with good features. All my previous purchases are from whirlpool, Toshiba, Samsung and LG. 

However, I am not sure how Japanese companies like Hitachi and Panasonic get impacted due to recent earthquake/tsunami in Japan.

-------------
Ramana Rao Ambore

Posted By: Nichola1374i
Date Posted: 16/Mar/2016 at 2:48pm
If you haven't figured out why the entire world is confused by Gwyneth Paltrow yet, let us show you the way. A crop of Edie Parker clutches just popped up on her longstanding lifestyle website goop, and our heads are tilting. So far, so good, right? The actress' collaboration with the clutch queen features odes to her favorite rappers in giant cursive letters. You've never seen Hov look quite so...swoopy.
We don't doubt that Paltrow loves her some '90s hip-hop, but we're wondering what kind of true fan would have put Jay Z and Eminem on the same clutch, much less Biggie and Tupac. Said clutch, which retails at a very Goop-y $1,695, makes us wonder where she was during rap's most historical feud. Like, in between filming Mrs. Parker and The Vicious Circle and Jefferson In Paris, what were you actually listening to in 1994? All shade aside, we like Edie Parker bags, we like hip-hop, http://www.nikerosherunonline.com/nike-roshe-run-yeezy-mens-shoes-2_8/ - Nike Roshe Run Yeezy Mens , we like cursive, and we like Eminem, Jay Z, Tupac, http://www.nikerosherunonline.com/nike-roshe-run-junior-mens-shoes-4_13/ - Nike Roshe Run Junior Mens , and Biggie...but if we may use a metaphor that Paltrow will understand: Just because you like kale and buttercream frosting doesn't mean you should put them both in the same green juice.
You’ll be able to pick up the Nike KD 7 “Flight” at select Nike retailers beginning on May 1st for $150.
Author’s Take
The KD 7 has been a hit or miss silhouette this year for me. Some colorways have been great and others have been horrible. This “Flight” colorway lands in the former category as the vibrant splashes of color combine nicely with the dark colored upper.
The Nike KD 7 “Flight” is different from the two other pairs that rely heavily on black/grey with only a touch of color. This KD 7 comes with Classic Charcoal on the hyperfuse upper with Dove Grey splashed onto both Swoosh logos. Light Retro makes its way onto the inner lining, http://www.nikerosherunonline.com/nike-roshe-run-floral-shoes-1_23/ - Nike Roshe Run Floral , heel and the tongue patch branding. Last but not least are?hits of University Red on the lighting bolt graphics on the heel and on the laces.
Photo: Courtesy of Goop. SHARE TWEET EMAIL**** / Gwyneth Patlrow Hip Hop, Rap Clutch Bags For Goop
Photo: Courtesy of Goop.
via: NB
Now that you know that Nike has an entire “Flight” Pack releasing tomorrow, how about we take a closer look at the most colorful sneaker from the pack, the KD 7.
Available Now on Kixify & eBay

Posted By: Nichola1374i
Date Posted: 12/May/2016 at 1:44pm
Head over to select Nike retailers.We can safely assume that marriage hasn't cooled off Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo's steamy situationYou can watch the video below and swoon accordingly.If you weren’t excited about the Nike Kobe 10 then you now have a reason to be excited because Nike announced today that The Black Mamba’s 10th and possibly final signature silhouette will be officially unveiled by on January 31 2015 with a price yet to be announced.If you’re about that sample life then you’ll love these two colorways of the Kobe 10 that will never make it to retailers Don’t forget there’s NIKEiD if you’re really feeling them though. Swoosh, http://www.nikerosherunonline.com/nike-roshe-run-yeezy-shoes-2/ - Nike Roshe Run Yeezy , “Gym Red” or “Gorge Green” color options.
   this Elite version of the Black Mamba’s 9th signature silhouette won’t come cheap. while ‘Nike Air’ is found on the insole and back heel to give it the OG touch. Stay tuned to KicksOnFire for all official release info. the idea of navigating the retail giant's sale sounds more than daunting.The Air Jordan 6 has been getting a lot of love this year According to the Foot Locker release calendar.
Reminiscent of the “Eggplant” colorway of the Nike Air Foamposite, http://www.nikerosherunonline.com/ - nike roshe run online , (*cough*… Kyrie Irving… *cough*).

Print Page | Close Window