Print Page | Close Window

Prasad's Portfolio

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Market Strategies
Forum Name: Portfolio Check Up
Forum Discription: Members may put forward their portfolios dor comments from other members. The final call will obviously be taken by the investor himself.
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2562
Printed Date: 28/Apr/2024 at 5:17am

Topic: Prasad's Portfolio
Posted By: prasad20
Subject: Prasad's Portfolio
Date Posted: 09/Dec/2009 at 11:38pm
Hello!!

I have been a regular visitor to this forum and found the contents very informative.

Seniors, Can you please take a look at my portfolio and suggest me any changes which will help achieve gains of 20-25% CAGR. My investment horizon is long term

Energy
ONGC                    4.20%
OIL                        5.93%
Petronet LNG         3.45%

Software
TCS                       10.41%
Sasken                    2.03%
3I Infotech              2.55%

Medical Equipment
Opto Circuits          3.15%

Telecommunication
Bharati                   9.93%
RCOM                     5.22%

Pharma
BIOCON                  1.45%

Power
Adani Power           2.19%
Reliance Energy      4.60%
NTPC                       8.85%
NHPC                       3.01%

Financials
IDFC                         1.50%
Syndicate Bank         1.50%
Bank of Maharashtra 4.85%
Indian Bank               1.60%

Engineering
PRAJ                          7.97%
L&T                            5.37%

Chemicals
Deepak Fertilizers      1.65%

Shipping
GE Shipping                6.08%

Cement
Mangalam Cement      2.50%

Regards
Prasad

Replies:
Posted By: shadows
Date Posted: 09/Dec/2009 at 5:39am
Hi prasad, Price is more important than the percentage and script .
need to give the aquisition price.Smile

but in case of Sasken .......I think this is a hold for investors and they can buy on dips. What price u bought it.Confused
And I think it is not needed to talk about Opto........Simple 'hold for long term'

Rest will take care by Super SeniorsTongue and finally......................WELCOME

Posted By: 9StockPortfolio
Date Posted: 09/Dec/2009 at 8:39am
On TED, usually people do not disclose Price & Qty..

-------------
Pursuit of Value

Posted By: samirarora
Date Posted: 09/Dec/2009 at 9:03am
i guess disclosing purchase price would be OK, although quantity is a strict no-no.

best wishes,
samir.

-------------

Posted By: hit2710
Date Posted: 09/Dec/2009 at 9:25am
Hi

Telecom stocks as long term investments seem to have lost most of their charm because of cut throat competition.

You could switch to good realty stocks as a contrarion bet or if you want to go with the flow, you can go for fmcg/fmcg ancillary stocks.

Rest of them seem okay for the longer term.

Regards,
Hitesh.

-------------
Stockmarket is a weird place. For every person who buys a stock there is a person who sells it and both think they are very smart.

Posted By: shadows
Date Posted: 09/Dec/2009 at 9:26am
Hi,
Iam not asking for the quantity.........just want to know the price.If we don't know the price of the bought stock,how can we discus about the stock.
Is it worthy to buy RIL@3000 now.although RIL is the strongest script we need to pick it at a lower price or at reasonable price..we cant give the same sugg. for the guy who picked it up at 2000 and to the guy picked it up at 980.Cool

@SamirJI ........can i know the problem with disclosing the qty.i knew it is a strict no-nobut why no-noConfused

Date Posted: 09/Dec/2009 at 9:58am
It would be a good idea to discuss stocks in the portfolio based on current prices. For that we don't need purchase price.

-------------
Stockmarket is a weird place. For every person who buys a stock there is a person who sells it and both think they are very smart.

Date Posted: 09/Dec/2009 at 11:08am
Hi,
As for as pricing is concerned I have invested through the bull run till index was at 16000. Then I got scared of the valuations. Again started investing in the downturn from index of 14000-8000--and to present...

I am a conservative investor. I have not invested in momentum stocks like Realty (because of high valuation earlier and management concerns) 

Let me know if there are high conviction value stocks which I can invest in

Regards

Prasad

Posted By: PKB2000
Date Posted: 09/Dec/2009 at 11:23am
Originally posted by prasad20

Hi,
As for as pricing is concerned I have invested through the bull run till index was at 16000. Then I got scared of the valuations. Again started investing in the downturn from index of 14000-8000--and to present...

I am a conservative investor. I have not invested in momentum stocks like Realty (because of high valuation earlier and management concerns) 

Regards

Prasad
But I see sensex is again 170081 at the moment. R u not scared now?

-------------
I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

Posted By: prabhakarkudva
Date Posted: 09/Dec/2009 at 11:57am
Since no one has pointed it out(not even Basant ji ) ,
sir why no consumer oriented stocks?

-------------
Take your chances and keep them in a box until a quieter time.

Date Posted: 11/Dec/2009 at 9:40am
Any consumer oriented stock which I can pick for the long term

Date Posted: 11/Dec/2009 at 9:45am
Originally posted by PKB2000

Hi,

Regards

Prasad
But I see sensex is again 170081 at the moment. R u not scared now?

I am not scared but cautious. Things have not become so frothy as they became end 2007 but I guess we will get there...

Regards
Prasad

Date Posted: 11/Dec/2009 at 10:00am

Jyothy laboratories looks good for longer term. Currently available at around a pe of 14-15 based on fy10 eps of around 11-12 with good products like ujala and maxo.

I personally am invested in vivimed labs which is into speciality chemicals and is one of the biggest producers of triclosan (used in tooth pastes) and hair dye intermediates.

For me this is an fmcg ancillary stock available even at 130 odd levels at a pe of around 5. Half year eps at 15 and full year expected to be 27-30. Debt was an overhang but promoters have allotted themselves some warrants at 120 and some fii has converted convertible bonds at around 185.

-------------

Posted By: master
Date Posted: 12/Dec/2009 at 4:35pm

10 consumer plays with large market shares, almost monopolistic, in their respective core businesses are - HUL, GSK Consumer, ITC, Nestle, Gillette, Colgate, Asian Paints, Marico, Titan & Jyothy lab.

All of them are well researched. Also, there is a recent report from motilal oswal covering these.

Can do your due diligence & take your pick based on your conviction.

-------------
Someone’s sitting in shade today because someone planted a tree long time ago.

Date Posted: 12/Dec/2009 at 5:36pm
I went through a recent report by Prabhudas Liladhar which emphasizes the entry of P&G in a huge way into India and which could impact some companies adversely.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Jan/2010 at 8:58pm

Added Sintex, Honda Siel, BOI to the portfolio

Energy
ONGC                     3.95%
OIL                        5.37%
Petronet LNG         3.30%

Software
TCS                       7.56%
Sasken                  2.04%
3I Infotech             2.39%

Medical Equipment
Opto Circuits          3.15%

Telecommunication
Bharati                   9.01%
RCOM                     4.88%

Pharma
BIOCON                  1.32%

Power
Adani Power           2.33%
Reliance Energy      4.46%
NTPC                       8.92%
NHPC                       2.96%

Financials
IDFC                         1.21%
Syndicate Bank         1.63%
Bank of Maharashtra 4.51%
Indian Bank               3.02%
BOI                            0.96%

Engineering
PRAJ                          8.36%
L&T                            5.22%
Honda Siel                     0.5

Chemicals
Deepak Fertilizers      1.84%

Shipping
GE Shipping                5.92%

Cement
Mangalam Cement      3.2%

Sintex                          1.74

cheers

Prasad

Date Posted: 05/Jul/2010 at 3:07pm
Hi

Need your inputs on my current portfolio. Would prefer negatives on any of the companies

Energy                          %
 ONGC                           2.92
 OIL                               8.32
 Reliance                        3.94

Software  
 TCS                               3.82
 Tech Mahindra              0.66
 Sasken                         1.60
 Mastek                         1.42
 3I Info Tech                  3.66
 Opto Circuits                 2.17
 Reliance Comm              3.32
 Bharati Airtel                 5.92

Pharma  
 Biocon                          1.82

Power  
 Adani Power                 1.86
 Reliance Energy            2.00
 NTPC                             8.00
 NHPC                             2.69
 SJVLIM                           2.15
 REC                                2.40

Financial Sector  
 Syndicate Bank              2.04
 Bank Of Maharashtra    1.23
 BOI                                4.69
 CAN HOME                     3.42
 South Indian Bank         0.28
 IDBI Bank                      0.31

Engineering  
 PRAJ Industries             5.05
 L&T                               7.34
 Sunil HiTech                   0.34

Chemicals  
 Deepak Fertilizers           1.61

Shipping  
 GE Shipping                     2.06
 Bharati Shipyard              0.21

Construction
 ILFS Transport                  5.77
 JP Associates                    2.35
 J Kumar Infrastructure      1.15

Others  
 Sintex                                2.94
 NMDC                                 0.57

Cheers

Prasad

Posted By: adityancs
Date Posted: 05/Jul/2010 at 3:29pm
In Pharma, Dr.Reddy, CIPLA, Cadila & Aurobindo are long term bets.

Posted By: karn
Date Posted: 05/Jul/2010 at 4:38pm
My views:
Energy: The chosen players does not likely to give you 25-30 CAGR you expect. But they would provide you come cushion in case of market crash.

IT & Software:
If you have to choose more than one company, choose one which is market leader and other from mid/small cap

Telecomm:
Choose only one. My personal fav. is Bharti. If the sector as whole revives than Bharti will get the maximum benifit.

Power:
If one must choose then I'll choose Torrent Power over others. You may check the financials.

Finance:
Again one from private and one from public sector should be sufficient

Engineering:
Larsen is a good choice but again when you have large cap established companies in your portfolio they do bring some stability but to expect fireworks like 25-30 CAGR is bit difficult.

Shipping:
No idea. Cant make up my mind on this sector. From whatever I have read here so far GE shipping seems to be the best bet.

Chemicals:
Actually you have listed fertilizer company. The entire sector is heavily subsidized and therefore not sure about their future. In chemicals I dont understand much except soda ash. Soda ash is primarily used in detergents and soap making. I would recommend you to go though Aditya Birla Chemicals and Tata Chemicals. ummm may be Nirma.

Constrcutions:
have you looked at Ahluwalia Contracts?

In misc. category you can go though other wonderful stocks discussed in stock synopsis section.

Regards,

K.

P.S. Just though I would share my views. Regarding investing, I'm probably your junior but I'm learning and slowly getting somewhere.

-------------
“Invert, always invert.”

Date Posted: 05/Jul/2010 at 5:00pm
In Engg Sector, Cummins, Honeywell are strong performers. However, shares of these companies should be purchased only on dips.

Date Posted: 05/Jul/2010 at 5:25pm
Hi Karn,
Thanks for your inputs, through this forum want to get a different perspective...I agree the protfolio is not what will generate fireworks...

I am sceptical about buying Stocks above 15 PE(no big theory, its just my Psychological limit). My expectation is for 20% CAGR and capital protection

I am trying to get some growth stocks and mid caps into the Portfolio, however not many are available at resonable PEs. Some Mid Caps which I have added with my reasoning

J Kumar Infrastructure (PE of 8, low compared to Peers, consistent profitability, low debt))
Sintex (Improved prospects, PE of 12)
Sunil Hitech (Improved prospects, low PE)
Sasken (IT stock available at book)
Opto Circuits (Growth stock at resonable PEs)
3I Info (Most of the negatives have been factored in the price)
Praj ( low debt, low PE)
Bank of Maharashtra (available at book)
Syndicate Bank (available below book, low PE)
IDBI (available at book)

Would like to understand negatives in them...

Cheers

Prasad

Date Posted: 05/Jul/2010 at 6:01pm
I don't agree with investing having low P/E in mind. Certain sectors inherently have high or low P/E. May be you should check out historic P/E values of the target company and compare it with industry average. However if you want that then let me suggest you some stocks to study with low P/E.

1. Symphony Comfort
2. Hawkins Cooker
3. TTK Prestige
4. Esab India
5. Glodyne Techno
6. Mphasis
7. VST Tiller
8. Bliss GVS Pharma
9. NESCO
10. Goodricke Group
11. Clariant Chemicals
12. Ahluwalia Contract
13.Coromondal International
14. Mindtree
15. Nava Bharat Ventures
16. Sabero Organics
17. Supreme Industries
18. Empire Industries
19. Vinati Organics
20. Swaraj Engines.

I can provide 20 more. Please check the latest P/E. My list is month old. These are some companies with high ROCE ROE . I do not know about all of above companies and its biz. This list was compiled by me as an exercise of finding high ROE ROCE companies.

Cheers

K.

-------------
“Invert, always invert.”

Date Posted: 05/Jul/2010 at 6:28pm
Thanks Karn for the list.....

Cheers

Prasad

Date Posted: 05/Jul/2010 at 6:47pm
Prasad, I'll try to explain what I make out of P/E

P/E = Current Market Price/Earnings per share.

From this equation CMP = P/E x EPS
EPS understanding comes from fundamental study about the company. Various factors such as growth in sales, less interest (debt), prices of raw materials and other expense and last the growth in EPS itself can be studied through the financials from annual reports. You can make an educated guess about the growth rate and multiply with existing EPS.
Now comes the P/E part. Which i think comes from the speculation side inbuilt in stock trades. After checking historic P/E of the same company and comparing with sector/industry average, one needs to check the possibility of P/E expansion or reductions. Personally I only check P/E to see whether I'm paying too much for a stock or not.
I'll try to Give example

Stock A cmp of 100 Rs with EPS of 10 Rs will give you P/E of 10
If you think that company can grow at 20 % in earnings in next financial year and P/E will remain constant at 10. Your projected CMP would be = 10 x 12 = 120 Rs.
If you find out that the company in past was selling at avarage P/E of 15 and market will notice the fact and provide you with P/E of 15 than the calculation would be 15 x 12 = 180 Rs of target price.

I'm new to investing hence, comments from other Teddies are most welcomed.

Cheers,

K.

-------------
“Invert, always invert.”

Date Posted: 05/Jul/2010 at 8:33pm
Karn,

I agree with you, I use P/E to benchmark against peers and also keep me away from sectors which are currently hot favorites. I use another measure book value, especially with cyclicals. Ofcourse I am a novice in this field and am sure these measures are not exact science

Cheers

Prasad

Date Posted: 11/Sep/2010 at 1:15pm
Hi
My Latest Portfolio....Please evaluate and provide feedback, any negatives would be most welcome.

Oil India 7.62
NTPC 6.85
Bharti Airtel 6.75
Larsen 6.61
ILandFS Trans 6.22
Bank of India 4.16
Jaiprakash Asso 4.07
SREI Infra 3.66
Reliance 3.4
Sintex India 2.96
3i Infotech 2.95
TCS 2.85
Can Fin Homes 2.78
J Kumar Infra 2.73
ONGC 2.57
IDBI Bank 2.5
NHPC 2.49
Rural Elect Cor 2.39
Reliance Comm 2.38
Opto Circuits 2.34
GE Shipping 2.18
Syndicate Bank 2.14
Sasken Comm 2.09
SJVN 1.81
Deepak Fert 1.8
Biocon 1.67
Unity Infraproj 1.64
Reliance Infra 1.43
Sunil HitechEng 1.33
Tech Mahindra 1.11
Bank of Mah 1.03
Canara Bank 0.8
Mastek 0.72
IVRCL Infras 0.69
Shilpa 0.62
South Ind Bk 0.29
GIC Housing Fin 0.2
BharatiShipyard 0.17

Cheers

Prasad

Date Posted: 11/Sep/2010 at 3:30pm
Why do not you reduce the number and have a concentrated portfolio for better monitoring and return.

Date Posted: 11/Sep/2010 at 12:49pm

The reason for not having a concentrated portfolio is because I  believe that I donot have the insight to identify sure shot winners...The only control which I have is the price at which I will buy a stock. Hence I spread my net wide (around 30 stocks) and look out for stocks which are good and are resonably priced. The disadvantage to this approach is that I might not get as much returns as a concentrated portfolio but then I believe the risk associated with my portfolio would also be less. I would be happy if get a 15-20% CAGR on my portfolio

Cheers

Prasad

Posted By: TCSer
Date Posted: 11/Sep/2010 at 1:14am
Good strategy

Posted By: tigershark
Date Posted: 11/Sep/2010 at 8:53am
expect index related returns from the above portfolio. so why not invest in the index itself or the nifty junior which may beat the above.

-------------
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things

Posted By: nikhil090
Date Posted: 11/Sep/2010 at 10:36am
Originally posted by tigershark

expect index related returns from the above portfolio. so why not invest in the index itself or the nifty junior which may beat the above.

The argument to this point can be in aspiration. This is not specific personal/portfolio comment. if a person "aspires" to be a successful investor, he will have to wet his feet. if he always invest in index based funds, he may never learn and gain confidence on his judgment to one day start investing on his own.

This will never allow him to  earn "potentially" higher returns than the market. At the start almost everybody is a novice and they learn over a period of time.

Therefore, Depending on the inclination to be with the market, this decision can be taken.

Date Posted: 11/Sep/2010 at 10:51am
Originally posted by tigershark

Well, have read in books that in mature markets the index will give as much return as an actively managed portfolio over the long term but in emerging markets such as ours probably that might not be true....

But the real answer for not selecting an index fund is nothing beats the satisfaction of conducting the intellectual exercise of stock selection, hence I have my portfolio and also invest in activley managed mutual funds....

Managing my portfolio has motivated me to read excellent books, keep myself updated on the latest happening, join this forum, discuss with individuals with different point of view which I would not have done if I had put everything in a passively managed fund

I would really appreciate if you see any gaps/flaws in the portfolio which I can correct....

Cheers

Prasad

Posted By: nikhil090
Date Posted: 11/Sep/2010 at 11:08am
reliance comm is a strict no no for long term investors.. bharti may be better if you are looking at sector exposure.
syndicate bank, canfin homes, bank of maharastra, idbi bank, canara bank - are they trading bets? Because for  long term there are better stories available. If you are buying because they are cheap and you expect this cheapness to go away in short term then they may be ok otherwise no..

Posted By: vaib
Date Posted: 11/Sep/2010 at 11:50am
To resist the temptation of buying more and more companies, ask yourself in a sector which company should perform better and stick to it. You will have to take a call and risk. Simply saying "I really don't know which one is better" wouldn't help. Start by looking at the financials of companies.

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2010 at 12:15pm

Reliance communication has been a disappointment, I am slowly but surely moving out of all ADAG stocks...

As far as mid cap banking is considered, these were brought considering the financial and domestic consumption theme which the current bull run is based on. All were brought near or below book value when all the tier one banks and HFCs had run away. These are medium term bets and have outperformed in the last 6-9 months.  I will be reducing as valuation catch up.  

With NIFTY above 23 I have stopped increasing the portfolio and am just churning the portfolio and waiting for the blowoff or correction...Am good with either of them...What are you guys doing?...Thoughts are welcome

Cheers

Prasad

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2010 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by vaib

To resist the temptation of buying more and more companies, ask yourself in a sector which company should perform better and stick to it. You will have to take a call and risk. Simply saying "I really don't know which one is better" wouldn't help. Start by looking at the financials of companies.

Well my quandry is that the best companies in a sector are now available at super premium valuations which I am not comfortable with, so I settle for better companies which are available at resonable valuations...I have no control on the price of the stock but I try to control the price at which I buy...I buy in few sectors and few companies in each sector as I do not know which sector and which companies the market will take fancy to. My focus is to control my urge to get carried away by the market gyration and the current market fancy and be as pragmatic as possible which in itself is a struggle for me...  That having said, I am a novice and have been actively investing on my own for just 6 years (experience of one boom bust cycle only)

I would appreciate suggestions on few good companies available at resonable valuations

Cheers

Prasad

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2010 at 2:03am
Well Now market is 32 months peak, what do you expect :P ? Also plenty of members have posted their portfolio, you can have a look at that. Try to keep high growth stock in portfolio at higher price than average stocks at average price. If you are comfortable in midcap then plenty available at so called reasonable price. But given the sensex all time high I can't really give any advice. Best is many members keep saying added x stock, that helps. Add your positions slowly so that it doesn't become "deer caught in headlight".

Posted By: bhowman
Date Posted: 12/Sep/2010 at 11:00am

Well Now market is 32 months peak, what do you expect :P ? Also plenty of members have posted their portfolio, you can have a look at that. Try to keep high growth stock in portfolio at higher price than average stocks at average price. If you are comfortable in midcap then plenty available at so called reasonable price. But given the sensex all time high I can't really give any advice. Best is many members keep saying added x stock, that helps. Add your positions slowly so that it doesn't become "deer caught in headlight".

Very good advice. That's what I am doing.
Will you please explain the statement "Try to keep high growth stock in portfolio at higher price than average stocks at average price"

-------------
That which is so far is actually so near.

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2010 at 11:42am
People can make more money even by investing in very cheap stock. Basically there could be n number of ways which I might not even understand. But probably the safest way to make money is by investing in growth stock and growth most of the times don't come by cheap. So a dilemma occurs like Prasad has that valuations are not kind of real. Even if you look at TED11 or favorite stock of many members like zyduss or titan, they aren't cheap from any angle. Or take route taken by hit ji, identify undervalued stock with high growth or basically a midcap or smallcap. These would bring more returns than average stock bought at average prices. Valuations can be looked with many angles. By looking only at PE you do justice neither with yourself nor with stock.

Posted By: bhowman
Date Posted: 12/Sep/2010 at 11:57am

People can make more money even by investing in very cheap stock. Basically there could be n number of ways which I might not even understand. But probably the safest way to make money is by investing in growth stock and growth most of the times don't come by cheap. So a dilemma occurs like Prasad has that valuations are not kind of real. Even if you look at TED11 or favorite stock of many members like zyduss or titan, they aren't cheap from any angle. Or take route taken by hit ji, identify undervalued stock with high growth or basically a midcap or smallcap. These would bring more returns than average stock bought at average prices. Valuations can be looked with many angles. By looking only at PE you do justice neither with yourself nor with stock.

Thank you Mr Vaib, for enlightening me.

-------------
That which is so far is actually so near.

Date Posted: 18/Sep/2010 at 12:03pm
I have recently invested in

SREI Infrastructure Finance at an average price of 92...The driver for the investment is 1) Good growth prospect in Infrastructure Finance sector 2) NIM of 4% 3) Resonable valuations...

Nibling on Balmer Laurie ...The driver for the investment is 1) Good prospects in packaging 2) Good ROE, ROCE available at resonable PE

Would require your feedback on this stock and long term prospects....

Cheers

Prasad

Date Posted: 05/Nov/2010 at 1:52pm
Hi TEDs
Wanted some opinion on Jyoti Structures....Bought at around 136... Reason for buy---Good visibility on growth (good order book), India focused transmission company, reasonable valuations.....

Cheers

Prasad

Posted By: skotra
Date Posted: 12/Nov/2010 at 1:52pm
Is Mphasis still a choice for holding ?

Posted By: Nichola1374i
Date Posted: 24/Apr/2016 at 5:48pm
Well that was until the last couple of years that cut his season short due to injury. Will you be lacing up the little ones as well or will the entire family pass on this Kobe 10? A clear outsole is present, http://www.nikerosherunonline.com/nike-roshe-run-junior-mens-shoes-4_13/ - Nike Roshe Run Junior Mens ,
Subscribe to the KicksOnFire YouTube Channel Available Now on Kixify & eBay it turns out a Nike LeBron 12 Low released prematurely at select Foot Locker retailers around the U.
Subscribe to the KicksOnFire YouTube Channel
Available Now on Kixify & eBayLast week Kevin Durant took to his Instagram to make us all jealous and preview to us a pair of a KD 7‘s that was draped in glossy gold if that’s even possible. Some colorways have been great and others have been horrible. heel and the tongue patch branding.
   the Nike KD 7.
This year the KD 7 features a completely different look with White taking care of most of the upper, http://www.nikerosherunonline.com/nike-cortez-nylon-men-shoes-7_30/ - Nike Cortez Nylon Men , Barkley branding and Nike branding add a nice contrast. Where does this All Star LeBron sneaker rank among your favorites? We definitely catch her drift on the "perks" bit. See images from the provocative series, http://www.nikerosherunonline.com/nike-cortez-leather-shoes-6/ - Nike Cortez Leather ,until next month to release the newest iteration.

Print Page | Close Window