Print Page | Close Window

Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham- Samir Arora

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Market Strategies
Forum Name: Buffet, Lynch and other legends - Investing Strategies
Forum Discription: DIscuss about the strategies followed by the great investors. Share an idea which would have impressed the masters. Try and bring their International experience into the Indian Markets.
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=238
Printed Date: 28/Apr/2024 at 4:16pm

Topic: Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham- Samir Arora
Posted By: basant
Subject: Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham- Samir Arora
Date Posted: 29/Aug/2006 at 8:46pm

This is a communication from http://www.theequitydesk.com/samir_arora.asp - India's best fund manager "Samir Arora"   to the investors of Alliance Mutual fund in 2001. The way he has summed up the events makes for a very interesting reading.

‘2001 Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham’... Samir Arora

Yaadein of the Indian stock markets in 2001 leaves one quite breathless. The year started off with a lot of Josh as investors had high expectations from the market after a disappointing 2000. The first two months of the year went off quite smoothly as investors focussed on the Indian budget, but in the Jungle of developments-global and local, the markets missed more than a mere Dhadkan.

Against a background of low expectations, the Indian budget came as a pleasant surprise. Cut in corporate and personal Lagaan (due to removal of surcharge) and a structural shift to lower interest rates were welcomed by the markets. In view of the government’s current state of Amdani Athanni Kharcha Rupaiyah much needed emphasis was placed on privatization and reduction in the size of the government. It is a different matter that nothing substantial has been achieved on these issues with three months left in the current year. Euphoria regarding the Indian budget lasted less than a day. Speculative unwinding, global meltdown of technology stocks-Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya- after the Paagalpan of 1999 and early 2000, introduction of Ajanabee rolling system and other problems led to Dooriyan between the investor and the stock market. Disappointed with the behavior of the markets post budget the government said Had Kar Di Aapne to the speculators and set up a Joint Parliamentary Committee to investigate why markets were behaving the way they did.

During the year, the world faced its first global synchronous recession in nearly three decades. Markets around the world were in Gadar as investors who were for many years in Pyaar with the markets were now in complete Khauff of it.

And then came September 11th. Hey Ram! Such heinous and despicable act of terrorism brought the world together to fight the unseen enemy. The markets reached their bottom within ten days of 9/11 and Chori Chori Chupke Chupke the markets started moving up well before any signs of success in the war against terrorism or economic revival had become evident. Many sceptics feel that fundamentals in the global and indeed Indian economy have not improved and are unable to reconcile it with the state of Sarfarosh and Deewanapan in the markets recently. However, the stock markets have an uncanny ability to forecast and discount the future and it seems that the world markets are predicting the end of recession in the USA in mid-2002.

In 2001 we also see the extremely high correlation between the Indian and US markets. It is interesting to note that the Sensex reached its bottom on the same day (September 21st) as NASDAQ and the Dow. Separately, even prior to September 11th we observed and were indeed saddened by the fact that the Indian markets have completely surrendered their independence to global and macro trends without any appreciation of the strengths and relative insulation (from global slowdown) of many Indian companies. We need to develop a class of investors who have their own Astitwa and can tell the foreign investors Yeh Tera Ghar Yeh Mera Ghar rather than getting lost in their Bawandar. Of course it is not true that all our problems are caused by global factors for we are quite self sufficient in creating our own problems.

Dil Chahta Hai that 2002 be a much better year than 2001. Last two years have been disappointing to say the least but –Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani- there are many reasons for being bullish on India. Low interest rates, attractive valuations, good corporate performance from a number of Indian businesses and sectors and large retail cash position on the sideline earning record low interest rates is a potent combination for any market and we expect India to do well in 2002.

One important lesson investors can draw from the recent rally is that the price of certainty is very high in stock markets. Investors waiting for all factors to fall in place before committing money to equities can forgo significant potential gains. Investors should look at equities as a regular part of their savings plan rather than as one off market timing decision. Bas, Itna Sa Khwab Hai.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Replies:
Posted By: The Lord
Date Posted: 29/Aug/2006 at 9:21pm
when the market reached beyound 12000 mark i only prayed for "Kabhi alvida na kehna"

-------------
wining is not everything, for me it is the only thing

Date Posted: 29/Aug/2006 at 9:48pm

At 12,700 we had gone deewana and when we touched 8800 I could see only black people told me to cash out chupke chupke but I held on like a Baazigar. The operator whom we thought was Shree 420 said Main hoon na. In between people called in to say that experts are saying not to buy but kya kehna dil hain ki manta nahin. As we head back towards 12,000 all I can say is salaam namaste because sab golmal hai.  

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: BubbleVision
Date Posted: 30/Aug/2006 at 12:01pm
A very intresting read.. Kya Kehna...This type of writing will take you to Shikhar.
Now can we call the current market Dhoom:2

BTW do you know where is Samir Arora now....

-------------
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!

Date Posted: 30/Aug/2006 at 12:19pm

The last time I heard that Sebi tried becoming a Thanedar and made him a qaidi No. 1 They called him a Khalnayaak and thought that he was a Leader in today's GundaRaaj  but our andha kanoon catches only the Gentleman. He was released from the adalat with full ijjat and people said andaaj apna apna and Khuda Gawah.

Ttoday Samir runs a Hedge fund from Singapore.  

-------------

Posted By: The Lord
Date Posted: 30/Aug/2006 at 8:56pm
the current trend is again like the rising sun but i hope its not something that will be gone in sixty seconds  and bring on the apocalypse 

-------------
wining is not everything, for me it is the only thing

Posted By: navneet
Date Posted: 01/Sep/2006 at 4:52pm
Interesting 1.......  to read, hopefully stock marketeers can remember lot of movie names

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 03/Sep/2006 at 3:52am
Nice topic and witty replies!!

Now there is trend of remaking old superhit movies. Do not believe those BLUFFMASTER analysts appearing on TV channels. The SATYA is keeping away from analysts' COMPANY will keep BUNTY & BUBBLY happy. Finally, let's hope that DON of bull market does not become DEVDAS!!

-------------
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards

Date Posted: 23/Oct/2006 at 1:36pm
Samir Arora should be on CNBC TV18 this week. That is what he told me. It would be very interesting to see what he recommends to the Indian investors. We need more of such visionaries to be on TV. Have been fed up looking at the "structure" for over 3 years.

-------------

Posted By: catchsudipto
Date Posted: 26/Oct/2006 at 7:00pm
Dear Sir,

Do u have any information about the intervire ( date and time ) of Mr Samir Aurora on CNBC.

Thanks

-------------
Make your Life as simple as possible.

Date Posted: 26/Oct/2006 at 7:03pm
Tomorrow (Friday) at 10.30 in the evening. They should run it at least 4-6 times as they did with Ruchir Sharma.But this is a do not miss show!

-------------

Date Posted: 26/Oct/2006 at 7:08pm
Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot. I will definately not miss the show. But my wife will kill me once she hears that as we are supposed to go to a party tomorrow.

thanks

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Oct/2006 at 3:59pm
Dear Sir,

I am really excited from now onwards to hear Mr Samir aurora speaking in CNBC. Sir what is he going to say about?  whole picture of the economy for next few yrs, some new idea  any guess ?

thanks

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Oct/2006 at 4:23pm
He would not be specific on any stock but more generalised in nature.

-------------

Posted By: monu_duggad
Date Posted: 27/Oct/2006 at 4:59pm
sudipto dada
they will show it atleast 3-4 times...so dont disappoint ur wife....go to party...:-)...ruchir sharma's stuff was nice too...

basantjee...diwali ki belated badhaiyaan...hope sensex crosses 20000 this year and our value picks go up "n" times...

On orkut, i came across one interesting forum...Indian Stock markets and Shares...there was a  thread on "Worst analyst on CNBC"....guess wht...mr Baliga won that title hands down !!!! Next to follow was Deepak"bear"Mohoni....and our positive structure was also there....not to mention RKB..."If geometirc crosses 120.50 Rs,it will surely go to 120.75 and then to 121"...hahahaha

-------------
If you think you can,You Can

Date Posted: 27/Oct/2006 at 6:19pm
Hi

Nice to know that they will air the show 3-4 times, so that i can hear it 3-4 times to get catch any significant comment which i might miss on the first.

Anyway well said. My will be very very happy to hear that someone is supporting her view .
BTY will you help me in getting a membership in orkut. I have a gmail account.

Sionara

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Oct/2006 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by monu_duggad

sudipto dada
they will show it atleast 3-4 times...so dont disappoint ur wife....go to party...:-)...ruchir sharma's stuff was nice too...

basantjee...diwali ki belated badhaiyaan...hope sensex crosses 20000 this year and our value picks go up "n" times...

On orkut, i came across one interesting forum...Indian Stock markets and Shares...there was a  thread on "Worst analyst on CNBC"....guess wht...mr Baliga won that title hands down !!!! Next to follow was Deepak"bear"Mohoni....and our positive structure was also there....not to mention RKB..."If geometirc crosses 120.50 Rs,it will surely go to 120.75 and then to 121"...hahahaha

Thank you and same to you. But I have only growth stocks. It was nice toi read about your Orkut poll survey. FOr a change see Samir Arora's vision on Tv today  then you would realise that these people who come on Tv are kids before the gerat man. 

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Oct/2006 at 9:11am
Dear Sir,

Its really a great intervire. I liked the way he analyzed why India command more PE than other EM market. Its became so simple after his analysis ( but it never came to my mind before). I liked his way of thinking. Its so simple but with deep thought. Thanks u again for the information about this interview.
Sir have u watched the quarter result of pantaloon. Its stunner . Theu have done an Rs 14.37 EPS this qtr.

Thanks sir.

-------------

Posted By: Equity Buff
Date Posted: 27/Oct/2006 at 9:53am

[/QUOTE]
 FOr a change see Samir Arora's vision on Tv today  then you would realise that these people who come on Tv are kids before the gerat man. 

[/QUOTE]

Basantji,

Can you give the link to Samir Arora's vision on TV today (if it is on their sight) I would like to read/see it.

Rgds.

Date Posted: 27/Oct/2006 at 9:56am

[/QUOTE]

Dear Monu,

What is Orkut, is it a forum on the net ? How does one become a member ? Can you invite ? I have a gmail email account if required.

Thanks
Equity Buff

Date Posted: 28/Oct/2006 at 3:40pm
I remember a great line from old "Bawarchi": It is so simple to be happy, but it's so difficult to be simple!

Date Posted: 28/Oct/2006 at 5:57pm

[/QUOTE]
 FOr a change see Samir Arora's vision on Tv today  then you would realise that these people who come on Tv are kids before the gerat man. 

[/QUOTE]

Basantji,

Reminder.

Can you give the link to Samir Arora's vision on TV today (if it is on their sight) I would like to read/see it.

Rgds.

Date Posted: 28/Oct/2006 at 6:25pm
No idea would see if I can.

-------------

Posted By: monu_duggad
Date Posted: 28/Oct/2006 at 7:13pm

By value picks I meant...value investing...which will grow your money :-)

Sameer was fantastic...heard him for the first time.....he literally mounted an attack on MSCI index by calling it fraud index..never knew russia's 90 % mcap is in oil related sector....
Why the hell these guys clamor for correction then ?...after every 400-500 points...people shout...Correction overdue...Correction imminent...

-------------
If you think you can,You Can

Date Posted: 02/Nov/2006 at 2:44pm
Dear Sir,

I have some query about Mr Samir Aurora. I  heard him say last week on TV. its a stunner. I likes his way of simple down to earth explanation of every mater what Mr udayan  asked him.

I can make that he is very very bullish on INDIA . so my feeling is that he surely betting big on some stocks in India. Can u please tell us those stocks his he is betting big now.

As i feel some of those must be a real multibagger in the years to come.

Thanks

-------------

Posted By: harshbhandari
Date Posted: 02/Nov/2006 at 3:07pm
Hi!! Guys,

Here is the link to the interview of Samir Arora. Makes you all charged up and agressively search for investment ideas in India.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/news/management/helioscapitalmanagementsingaporesamirarora/investorshavenoreasontocribsamirarora/market/stocks/article/248082 - http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/news/management/helioscapitalmanagementsingaporesamirarora/investorshavenoreasontocribsamirarora/market/stocks/article/248082

Regards
Harsh

Posted By: vip1
Date Posted: 02/Nov/2006 at 6:51pm
Basant ,
 Samir Arora's interview was great ,he and RJ seem to be quite on the same lines. Is there a way to know what Samir Arora is now up to ( His stocks or funds) . It will be a great eyeopener.

Posted By: manishdave
Date Posted: 02/Nov/2006 at 5:29am
Great interview. Thanks for posting link. INteresting part is he says real estate overvalued but he bought India Bull. Aren't they big time in real estate?

Posted By: deveshkayal
Date Posted: 02/Jan/2007 at 12:23pm
Samir Arora said on NDTV today that he was bullish on Media from a macro point of view,CAS being implemented.He does not expect returns to be the same of last year.The biggest loser in 2006 was the retail investor who does not believe in their own growth story while the FIIs pumping money.As always not bullish on commodities.

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Date Posted: 02/Jan/2007 at 12:32pm

Yes Samir was bullish on CAS/DTH but he likes NDTV, HTMT and Zee but not sure on Tv18 -

-------------

Posted By: omshivaya
Date Posted: 02/Jan/2007 at 1:28pm

Why do you think so Basant ji...that is, why Samir Arora doesnt like TV18.

-------------
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it

Date Posted: 02/Jan/2007 at 2:26pm
We would need to go to Singapore for that!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 02/Jan/2007 at 2:36pm
Chalo Singapore.........

pack your VIP bags, book tickets on Kingfisher airlines....and on board passengers would be served McDowell liquor & Himalaya/Everest mineral water.....Hopefully, that airline doesn't run out of GAIL gas mid-air.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/Jan/2007 at 9:20am
This is from the market grapewine (rumour)!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Jan/2007 at 8:49am

This is an interesting article Samir ARora wrote last year.

December 2005

Business Standard

How slow reforms have helped markets

Nearly all economists and analysts have criticized successive Indian governments for lack of privatization and the generally slow pace at which the government has sold its state-owned companies so far. This lack of political resolve has been much criticized, particularly in comparison with China, which has been much more aggressive in selling parts of its government companies to foreigners at exorbitant valuations.

Although economists and purists (and investment bankers) may have valid reasons to criticize the government for this lack of political will, I believe that, in fact, India's privatization record is pretty impressive. I also believe that stock market investors should be thankful to the government for much of the gains that they have made in the markets are due to the privatization strategy followed by the government.

To understand India's track record in privatization, we must first understand and correctly define privatization. Does privatization only mean sale of previously state-owned companies to the private sector? Can we expand the definition to correctly state that opening any sector to private sector companies and allowing free entry of privately-owned companies to sectors previously reserved for only public (state)-owned companies is also privatization?

Due to pressure from various factions, no Indian government has been able to strategically sell any state-owned company (other than, perhaps VSNL, CMC and IPCL). However, what India has done instead has been remarkable. The government has allowed private companies free entry into sectors that were previously in government control.

The entry of private companies in sectors such as media, banking, asset management, insurance, airlines, and telecommunication has allowed these companies to gain enormously at the expense of the incumbent, state-owned companies that were not strategically transformed prior to the opening up of the sector. These new, private companies have not only created value by participating in the growth of these sectors, but have done it in quick time by winning market share from the public sector.

Would it have been so easy for Jet Airways to reach its current size and value if Indian Airlines had been privatized in the beginning? Would Bharti Televentures have been the fund managers' favorite telecom stock if Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd, the government-owned incumbent telecom company, had been sold to a strategic investor years earlier? India has followed the strategy of privatizing sectors without privatizing its incumbent, state-owned company (ies) and that has turned out quite well.

Many purists will argue that this has been a non-optimal way of achieving privatization of sectors because the government has not maximized its realization of value from its holdings in public sector companies. That is, of course, the case but who says that realizing maximum value for government holdings is the only measure of a successful privatization programme?

In a strategic sale, the beneficiary of future gains from the purchase of the state-owned assets would have been the one or two successful bidders. Most probably, the sale of state-owned companies to a strategic investor would have come with some conditions that the monopoly of these companies is extended for some more years to allow the new management to transform the companies that they would have bought.

How would the stock market investors have benefited if the government had directly sold its companies to foreign strategic investors?

In fact, what has happened is that due to political compulsions, the government has been unable to strategically sell its companies. Unintentionally, successive governments have reacted by following reforms that are much deeper, longer lasting and have created wealth for private investors and stock market participants.

Even though India has been unable to sell its so-called crown jewels and has forgone this realization of value, it has opened sector after sector to private companies. In essence, it has encouraged entry of private sector by transferring this value (of its state-owned companies) to private sector participants in each of these newly opened sectors. By competing with these state-owned companies, Indian entrepreneurs have created enormous wealth.

Allowing private sector free entry has meant more participants in each sector, more investors in and beneficiaries of their success, more competition (and, therefore, more choices and benefits for the consumer) than would have been the case if the biggest company (that is, state-owned company) had been strategically sold (and, therefore, in essence its relative monopoly would have been preserved for a longer time).

Stock market investors should remember that part of the reason why they have made money in companies such as Zee Telefilms (in the past), Bharti Televentures, Jet Airways, HDFC Bank/ICICI Bank, HDFC, Indian Rayon and so on is because the Indian government did not privatize Doordarshan, MTNL/BSNL, Indian Airlines, State Bank of India (SBI) and Life Insurance Corporation.

Lack of supply of new equity offerings from state-owned companies (due to reluctance or unwillingness of government to reduce its ownership in these companies) also helped the overall market to do well as foreign investment flows were not matched by large supplies of primary paper.

Many strategists have lamented that for the Indian markets to continue to do well, India should pursue big ticket reforms more urgently. Although there is no dispute that reforms are needed for India to sustain its growth and investment, many of the reforms that market analysts are looking for, in fact, have limited relevance for the stock markets.

In fact, the first thing to note is that uncontrolled and aggressive reforms do not necessarily help the stock markets. Continuous reforms and progress are important, but there is no evidence that full reforms and aggressive opening of the economy to the outside world help stock prices.

Does this mean that India does not need to pursue any reforms? Of course not -- it needs to desperately privatize and reform sectors such as airports, ports, roads and other aspects of infrastructure, reform its bureaucracy, reform agriculture to allow and encourage more investments and efficiency and improve its subsidy delivery mechanisms for the needy.

The correct strategy for the government is to prioritize reforms internally and then use many of these so-called reforms as bargaining tools that it can give up anytime without any real-life impact.

For starters, the government can easily afford to sacrifice reforms such as increasing stake of foreign companies in Indian insurance companies, increase of FII stake in SBI and disinvestment of ONGC /BHEL as long as it is committed, and allowed, to pursue much more substantive reforms.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Jan/2007 at 3:04pm
Would it have been so easy for Jet Airways to reach its current size and value if Indian Airlines had been privatized in the beginning? Would Bharti Televentures have been the fund managers' favorite telecom stock if Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd, the government-owned incumbent telecom company, had been sold to a strategic investor years earlier?

These are piquant observations I remember how we used to curse the Govt. when it flipped between one decision to another in divesting HPCL and BPCL. To a very large extent we as individual investors remain greedy to the extent of our holdings in PSU companies. Yes, the debate is right to the extent that these companies should be sold off but I for one did miss the broader concept that entrepreneurs like SUnil, Mittal and Subhas Chandra would not have been successful to that extent had the Govt. sold off Doordarshan and MTNL.

Now what would have happened is not too tough to understand Doordarshan would have been lapped up by Rupert Murdoch or anybody who was estrablished and MTNL would have been sold off to either Reliance or Birla or Tata, I am sure Ratan Tata would have liked to get his hands on Indian Airlines and Air India.I doubt if the budding entrepreneurs like Sunil Mittal and Subhas Chandra would have been able to get enough cash to make a bid for those state assets.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Jan/2007 at 8:50am

The article by Samir Arora jee is very interesting.

Though it may be out of place, but I recall having read another one which brushes the topics of Reforms, India & China. This one is by Gurcharan Das in the Sunday Times (dtd 30 Dec '06). :
--------------------------------------
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/OPINION/Columnists/Gurcharan_Das/An_Indo-Chinese_curry/articleshow/996143.cms - An Indo-Chinese curry

My son lives in Shanghai and I recently spent two weeks with him. It gave me a chance to meet and talk to ordinary Chinese people.

What came through in my conversations was their passionate desire for business success. They feel that even the poor are gaining from their commercial triumphs in the global economy, and they are proud that China will soon become a great, middle-class nation.

I also met a local communist leader and businessman, who had recently returned from India. He asked me confidentially, "Is India's bureaucracy as bad as all that?" He said that Chinese businessmen in India only talked about India's red tape.

He admitted Chinese officials were also corrupt, but he couldn't fathom why Indian officials put up so many hurdles. He was amused by India's communists as well.

He joked that if you mixed Chinese and Indian communists into an Indo-Chinese curry, it would improve the Indians but it might deteriorate the Chinese.

The evening after I returned to Delhi, I turned on the news on television. In two separate programmes, I caught prominent leaders of the Left and the Congress talking about India's future.

What came through unfailingly was their deep and fundamental hostility to business and the middle-class. Our Leftists did not give two hoots about what would make Indian companies successful.

Neither did they care if our entrepreneurs failed or succeeded. Unlike the Chinese, they felt no pride that India had achieved one of the strongest economies in the world.

These debates, like so many in India, had a strange 1970s air, discussing issues that were settled in the world long ago with the fall of communism.

One of the reasons for our confusion is that none of our leaders has really bothered to explain to the common voter how 15 years of slow but consistent economic reform has changed the lives of our people. And how they have added up to make India one of the world's best performing economies.

Perhaps the greatest failure of our reformers is that they have not clarified how the reforms are helping the poor.

Chinese leaders do not face this problem, but we are a democracy and our leaders need to remember that much of Margaret Thatcher's energy went not into creating reforms but into educating her constituents that reforms were good for the whole of Britain.

I sometimes wonder why Manmohan Singh and his dream team of reformers don't go on television and educate us similarly night after night.

Because they fail to do so, people fall hostage to the bad ideas of the populists. It is not enough to talk of "inclusive growth" or assert that we must grow at 10 per cent — you must explain how this affects ordinary lives.

Only thus will you create a constituency for thorough-going reform. They must also admit honestly that India's pre-1991 controls and subsidies were the chief causes of our poverty, and there is no point in bringing them back. An honest nation must come to grips with its past.

I am glad that the prime minister finally broke his silence this week about India's notorious red tape. He has realised that the inability to implement administrative reforms is the other big failure of his government.

This has been one of the best years in our economic history, and as it draws to a close, the prime minister could do no better than to make a New Year's resolution to act on these two fronts.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Jan/2007 at 11:47am

Nice article. It is painfully ironic that while the left talks red tape in Delhi itlays out the red carpet in SIngur.Personally I feel that it is falling prey to what the BJP did with Ayodhya. The Indian public wants consistency in ideologies even if Laloo was alleged to have been corrupt he was still voted to power, so was Mulayam. Indira Gandhi never said she was the most honest of it all but she was consistent with her Garib(i) hatao program and also as the strong lady picture..This back and forth movement of the Left could be the right thing for India in the long run.

Now how could the Govt. create consensus? Let the Govt. come out and sell its stake in Maruti and all the navratnas including HPCL and BPCL (before they become sick) with guaranteed allotment to anyone who has a PAN card. Let it be declared 3 months in advance it would solve two problems:

1) get more people under the IT ambit.

2) Pave way for easy privatization.Once wealth distrbuted among the 40 crore Indians whether they are muslims or SC or St no Politician would like to stop it rather they could advocate reservation in allotment on basis of SC/ST etc.

-------------

Posted By: India_Bull
Date Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 5:49pm

The interview of Samir Arora in 2002 is worth reading, I couldnt resist , but read again and again and again....

Source: Captiltaldeasonline

Investment Philosophy

CIO: Thank you for giving us this opportunity to speak with you. Could you start by telling us about your basic investment philosophy?

Anticipate and recognize change early

Samir Arora: Well, we really aim to anticipate and recognize change early. Perhaps the maximum amount of money is made early in the cycle, when there is maximum change in let’s say, a company, an industry, the perception of a company, in corporate governance and so on. The whole idea is to recognize change at any level – micro or macro. We have analysts who carry out the micro-level stock analysis. I take the macro-level calls as to which sector to buy or within a sector, which company to buy.

CIO: Could you tell us about a couple of changes that you identified during the last decade that worked for you or did not work for you?

Samir Arora: Well, one idea that did not work as originally envisaged was India Liberalization Fund, which was launched in 1993 to buy privatization stocks in India. We had anticipated privatization very early. The first stock we bought was MTNL at Rs300 in December 1993. In fact, for five years we never bought privatization stocks in a significant way for any fund. The result: Although we were one of the first ones to think of privatization stocks in India, we did not capitalize on it fully, once privatizations really took off 8 years after we had started.

But, we have also had our share of successes. One theme we successfully rode on was "public sector being a defender of market share with private sector being the new entrant". Let me give you two instances of where we used this. One was Zee, which was up against the state-owned Doordarshan and the other HDFC Bank, which was up against the public sector banks.

When we bought Zee in 1997-98, its market cap was US$60mn. At that time a cable company in Thailand with just 200,000 connections had a market cap of US$400mn. When we looked at Zee’s history, we found that the company had an unfair reputation in the markets although the business model was very strong. Actually, unlike several other companies in India, it had not issued any warrants or options to its promoters and had continuously paid dividends and taxes. We considered that to be a positive from the perspective of the minority shareholders. So, we invested in the company, which proved to be fruitful just as our investment in HDFC Bank.

We have also been early in catching the emerging BPO story. You see, the publicly listed large IT services companies are going to project BPO as the big story for their growth. Soon, everybody will be interested in BPO stocks. We have been  fairly early in investing in a company like Digital, which will have a significant exposure to BPO. We now hold almost 7% of the company. Personally, I made a lot of money in Yahoo and AOL using the same theme. In 1997-98, the market cap of these companies was very small. But in just two years, the whole scenario changed. You know, when everybody gets interested in a sector, the valuations do not matter at all.

CIO: In whatever interactions we have had in the past, you have extensively used this top-down macro logic across various companies. Lately, we talked about India's wireless market cap and the kind of opportunity that presents to financial investors. Could you discuss the thinking process involved in this approach?

Supplement micro-level analysis with macro-level feel

Samir Arora: See, we have analysts, who do the micro-level analysis – you know things like looking at the numbers, growth rates, valuations and the like. I take the macro-level calls. So when you interact with me, you see the macro logic. But my macro logic will not work if my analysts said that a particular company on a standalone basis is not a worthy investment candidate. It is not that we don’t take a macro view on a sector, but the stocks that we actually end up buying are those in which we have conviction. At the same time, even if we are convinced about the standalone potential of a particular stock, we may not actually invest because of a negative macro-level view.

Let me give you examples to illustrate. Look at the last two years’ stock performance of ITC and compare it to Philip Morris. What is the logic? Why should ITC’s stock performance be connected to Philip Morris’? But you can see a clear relationship on Bloomberg. Both stocks exhibit similar trends. When Philip Morris does badly, so does ITC. Now, in India you don’t have the kind of regulatory risk as you have in the US. While US cigarette companies run the risk of becoming bankrupt due to the award of high punitive damages against the health hazards posed by smoking, this is not so in India. Given the US experience, fund managers tend to discount the possibility that x years later, a similar situation might arise in India as well. So, during the Bill Clinton administration, when the Philip Morris stock was not doing well, ITC was also under pressure. However, with the pressure on Philip Morris decreasing from about a year before Bush came in, the willingness to hold ITC has increased amongst global fund managers.

Now, let’s look at telecom. Several investors made lots of money in emerging markets like China. It is most logical for a fund manager to say, "I missed China Mobile but now have an opportunity in India" or, "I made a lot of money in China Mobile and in India you now have the very same drivers". Suppose this top-down approach works but for some reason we feel that the promoter of the Indian cellular company is not good or its competitive position is very weak, then it is unlikely that we will invest in the company. What I am saying is that while we will use this top-down approach, the bottom-up analysis is also done separately. We will not buy a stock just because, let’s say, its market cap is very low. But like in Zee’s case, if we separately find that the stock is a worthy investment candidate, we will invest.

In Zee, we had found no corporate governance violation when we first invested in the company 5 years ago. We were measuring corporate governance by only 2-3 things. It had not issued warrants at that time when several other companies in India had. Unlike others it had not made a private placement. It used to pay taxes I think at the rate of 25% or so. And, it used to pay dividends, which meant that the money was real. Yet, Zee was a predominantly macro call and the micro call was a bit off. So, on the one hand, we give the benefit of doubt to many companies. But on the other hand, we also have a long memory in the sense that if we have been burnt once, we do not go back to the same company easily. This is something that you have to remember in a bull market because there is always an opportunity to get carried away.

CIO: In this process, how do you resolve the contradictions? For instance, some of the companies you have invested in may not have the best of managements. Or in some cases, valuations that you are paying might appear enormously high. Take BPO for instance. On the basis of historic earnings, these stocks are definitely not cheap.

Look at pre-tax profits

Samir Arora: Let me explain. Today E-Serve pays tax at the rate of 48% whereas the IT services companies pay zero tax. Now I know, you know and the world knows that one day every company has to pay full tax. Yet, everybody gets shocked when the budget proposes a tax on IT services companies and their stocks tumble due to the announcement. We believe that tax is not a negative and if some company pays tax, we do not cut it out of its earnings. A tax-saving company is perhaps the worst company in India because it lets taxes determine its strategy. In 1998 or 1999, we decided that we would look at all numbers on a pre-tax basis.

As far as BPO is concerned, I believe that it is a big opportunity for India. If there is a company that is already growing at 18-20% every quarter and will have a significant exposure to BPO, then I think it is worthwhile looking at it. It has a market cap of US$100mn, it is already a profit-making company and it has a large MNC parent that is fully committed to it. The parent is giving the company plenty of business and this is only likely to grow.

When we invested in Zee, we used to say that if you can get an entry into the business in India for US$50mn, it is enough. On a macro-level, it does not really matter what exactly the company will do at that stage. So, it is with Bharti today.

The market valuation of the cellular space in India is about $5-6 billion as there are just 5 players and the largest is quoting at a valuation of about $1.7 billion. The cellular market is expected to grow at 40-60% for the next 5-7 years. The same cellular business is collectively valued in China at $140 billion. Now if India is a great country to invest in, then there has to be some consistency in valuations across sectors. This is the very simple broad theme on which we have invested in Bharti.

CIO: If we were to divide what you look for in a company before you invest into two parts, what would you say are the necessary conditions and what are the sufficient ones?

Samir Arora: I manage a technology fund, a basic industries fund and a consumer fund, and I sell them separately to the people. So, it is very different from a person like Warren Buffet, who says, "I only buy consumer because I don't understand technology." Very few people in the world manage three completely different sector funds, with completely different investment logic behind them. Yet, the consistent thing would be that a bottom-up and a top-down analysis are done separately. Our investment approach is a combination of top-down and bottom-up.

Bottom-up basically entails intra-industry comparison; not cross-industry comparison that an individual investor would do, "Should I buy Infosys or should I buy ACC?" That is the second level of research. The first is top-down, that is, whether you should be a little overweight in technology or say cyclical or perhaps, cement and that is my call. We look at valuations, the growth rate and the quality of the management. But above all, because we are viewed as investors being able to move stock prices we get to see many companies that want to change.

In such cases, we have often worked with them to drive change. Of course, whether or not they actually change is a call they have to take. There are several instances where we have got directors changed in private companies just to help them get a high P/E. Whether we want a good management or we want a management that wants to be good is a tough question. But in many cases, money has not been made by buying the best managements but the managements that want to become the best. The bigger game is in the change not in knowing, let’s say, that a Lever has the best management.

CIO: Right, so you would say that your necessary condition would be to identify some big change?

Identifying a cheap stock is easy; find why it won’t be cheap any longer

Samir Arora: Yes, it is not enough to say that xyz is cheap. Probably last year as well, it was cheap and the year before. There are many stocks that should be at the top of cheapness list, but nobody looks at them. That is because nobody knows why these will not remain cheap the next year. Change is therefore, critical.

CIO: You have also been a believer of the philosophy that the valuation premiums or discounts that some stocks enjoy are actually for good. You’ve said for instance that an x IT stock will always quote at a discount to the leader in the sector. Could you explain?

The leader always enjoys a higher P/E rating than the rest

Samir Arora: Yes, I don’t think that the valuation gap – in terms of the P/E they enjoy – between Infosys and Satyam or Taiwan’s UMC and TSMC will narrow down. P/E is earned in the market, which is not an easy thing to do. In my seven years of experience, I have not once seen a company enjoying valuations at par with the leader in that industry. Also, if you start with a clean state, it would be easier to maintain or enhance your P/E rating than if you start on the wrong footing.

But we are not just talking about the stock going up. We are talking about its P/E narrowing vs. the leader of that group. So, while in a bullish market Satyam’s P/E might go up, Infosys’ would also go up. Therefore, the valuation gap would remain. You can also see this in other sectors. In consumer goods, for instance, Hindustan Lever enjoys a higher rating than others.

Also, the markets have a long memory. So, if you have a company with a history of problems, the markets are likely to be wary about re-rating the stock even if it begins showing good earnings performance. Here, let me mention what Warren Buffet says about problems. He says that problems are like cockroaches in the kitchen for there is never only one cockroach in the kitchen.

See, it is true that P/E is dependent on earnings growth. But just because a company is able to grow its earnings phenomenally in a particular year, you don’t begin to rate it at par with the leader. You need to see that company consistently putting up that kind of performance for, say, five years before you see the valuation gap vis-ŕ-vis the leader narrowing. Therefore, we don’t bet on a narrowing of the P/E gap.

CIO: In one of the Wealth Creation studies at Motilal Oswal, it was found that 90% of stock returns over very long periods of time have actually been made out of re-rating rather than earnings growth. For instance, it was found that if you had bought Infosys at the right time, 90% of your returns would have come from re-rating.

Samir Arora: I would think that the re-rating actually happened for the sector as a whole and the narrowing didn't happen. See, I remember that about a year ago, in some studies Satyam came out as being the number one stock in India based on its last four or five year performance. But I don't think that its P/E narrowed against Infosys at any point in time.

CIO: It did. At the peak, the valuation gap between Infosys and Satyam had dramatically narrowed…

Place your bet on earnings growth rather than a P/E expansion

Samir Arora: Okay. May be it happened. But what I am saying broadly is that we don’t buy a stock on the basis that its P/E relative to the leader of that industry will narrow in our horizon. The lower P/E may be a support – a buffer that will help you on the downside. But if our analysts were to say that buy Satyam because its P/E is 15 and that will become 30 in 2-3 years because it is doing the following things, I will not buy that argument. But if they said buy Satyam because its P/E is 15 and given the expected growth in earnings, its price would rise by, say, 50% in two years, I would.

See, a high P/E doesn’t come just because of high earnings or because you are part of a good industry. It is earned over a period of time. It just happens because you are good corporate citizen, because you started clean, you kept clean, you communicated clean and investors are satisfied with your due diligence.

For example, we believe that Digital Globalsoft will have a higher P/E in the future as it has the necessary pedigree and if it can be consistent in its growth and deliver on its promises. Unlike many other Indian companies aspiring for higher P/Es Digital does not have any overhang of bad history and has not been unfair to minority shareholders etc. Therefore, if they prove to be good corporate citizens they can get a higher mutliple over time in line with the current leaders in the sector.

However, betting on multiple expansion in general is difficult in India as Indian market has a long memory and if you do not start right you never really get a premium valuation.

CIO: You migrated from being a country fund manager to a regional fund manager. Could you tell us a little about how this has helped you and what are the merits and demerits of taking up this additional responsibility?

Samir Arora: Well, the demerit is obvious. Sometimes, you just don’t have enough time to focus on any one country. During the last few years, our business in India has grown so much that we just don't even look at many of the smaller names. We, our analysts and I, now have a larger role and the size of our India funds has grown so large that very small companies do not make much of a difference to the performance of the funds.

In terms of the merits, these are also very clear. You are able to compare stocks on a regional basis. You are able to attract the best analysts because they are excited about taking up a regional role. In many cases, stocks in India are influenced by foreign flows and foreign information. Because of our current role, we are able to identify these more easily.

Yet, across the region and even across the world I think in terms of bottom-up selection some of the best names are in India. There are managements restructuring to improve their efficiency in an environment that does not support this. To see state-owned companies like State Bank adopting change is amazing. Such things get missed by somebody who is not close to India. So, we are very close to India.

CIO: At the analyst level, how useful has it been to track a region? Have you seen any material change in the performance or the quality of recommendations?

Samir Arora: Well, we started tracking stocks on a regional basis in 1998. Now whether it's to do with the quality of information or views, or with the fact that we had our biggest bull run in 1999-2000, we don't know. But in 1999, our Indian funds went up by 280% and 2000 was also not bad. In 2001, because of our long positions in technology, we underperformed the markets.

Now, it is not that it worked because of having an Asian role. The markets supported our performance but whenever we buy, we do so with the maximum conviction because we are able to do due diligence across a number of factors. Also, India is unique in our scheme of things. Sectors like software, pharmaceuticals and even consumer goods companies of the kind we have in India – multinationals or companies with long histories – are not there in our universe. We track sectors like auto, steel and telecom across the region.

CIO: Purely from a return perspective, what would be your macro call on India vs. the rest of Asia?

Samir Arora: In a relative sense, except for last year, India has not been bad. But on a stand-alone basis, India has been very disappointing. The Indian index has not gone anywhere since I started in 1993. Just being in equity did not ensure that you made money. You know equity is supposed to outperform debt but I haven’t seen that happen in India at least in my seven years of experience. When we started Alliance 95, the index was 3810. Today, it is below that level despite the fact that the composition of the index has changed to include better performing companies.

Today Alliance 95, which invests 60-75% in equity, has an NAV of about Rs50. But it is not just because it is exposed to equity as you can see from the level of the index. Success lies in picking the right stocks, and doing so is not easy. We were hoping that going forward we would be able to make money by just being in India. Over and above that, we could make some more money by outperforming the index. Making 100% of the money by outperforming the market is too painful a way to earn a living. However, making money by simply being in equity is only possible when there is a secular bull run in India; I hope that happens sometime soon.

For the first time in several years, you have Indian companies as a group generating higher returns on invested capital than their cost of capital. There is an actual reduction in costs or improvement in efficiency across the whole spectrum of companies. You have a macro-level positive in that PSUs are getting a life as stock market citizens. So, while we were always bullish on India on a bottom-up basis, this time we are bullish on India on a macro basis. Earlier, our stance on India used to be "bearish and overweight". But now we are "bullish and overweight". We have always been overweight because you cannot find the likes of HDFC Bank and Infosys in the rest of Asia.

CIO: You are bullish on India. You were overweight and you continue to be overweight...

Samir Arora: The reasons for being overweight on India have become both bottom up and top down- previously it was only bottom up.

CIO: How to you see India performing on a relative basis, going forward?

Samir Arora: I would say that if we found the right stocks in India and the right stocks in some other market, then the right stocks in India would do better. In India, you have a good menu to choose from. You can bet a big part of your money with conviction on a micro-basis, which is what we have really been trained to do. In China, on the other hand, we would take a macro-level bet. This, of course, could partly be due to the fact that I am more familiar with India.

I cannot say how the index in India will perform in the next five years – whether or not it will outperform Korea or Taiwan. See, today just because we have carried out one privatization exercise successfully, we cannot say that we have changed. In the stock market, nothing changes in a very short period of time – you could have a fall of the government, for instance. So, let us not get carried away, saying that India is on an automatic path to success.

In India, we have a big problem at the policy level. Now, let’s say that today the BJP is in power. Now, to take a very long-term macro-level call, you need to be convinced that it does not matter whether it is the Congress or the BJP or xyz that forms the government because they all have the same policies. But it is not like that. Even if we agree today that the Congress will also support privatization, the point is that you waste a year in changing from one government to another.

CIO: How have you gone about approaching some of the new markets that you took up a couple of years ago?

Samir Arora: See, the first thing is that in those markets I have still not reached the stage where I am truly buying undiscovered stocks. We are only taking bets in the 40-50 names that the world has. Although our Asian funds have nearly twice the money in Korea vis-ŕ-vis India, the stocks that we own in Korea are only 10 as against 14-15 in India. So, in one sense there is a dichotomy. My job has therefore, been picking 10 out of the 50 names, not to discover a 51st stock.

China, Korea and Taiwan are the markets where I have been investing and I believe that if you have learnt how to invest in India, you have learnt everything. You have learnt the questions to be asked, you have learnt what cheating people can do, you have learnt why two stocks in the same sector don't get the same rating. These issues are actually prevalent everywhere.

Yet, the fact is that I am a foreigner in these markets. In India, we laugh at the foreigners when they buy some stock we consider expensive. So it must be with me in those markets – I just haven’t discovered the 51st stock. Perhaps I need more understanding of those markets – visiting local companies and plenty of effort. But, overall, what is happening there is really no different from India.

CIO: How has your investment philosophy evolved over, let’s say, the last five years?

Samir Arora: Well, five years ago, we were very small. Therefore, we could go and buy the smallest of companies and it would still have an impact on our portfolio. Now, the tough thing is that by nature we would love to discover new stocks. Discovery itself now no longer means 20-baggers but stocks with, say, a potential to double. Even if we successfully did so, we would not be able to buy it in a big way because of unavailability or if we bought it in a big way, it would mean losing, say, 40% of the potential return. So, the job has become less interesting in a sense because now you have to deal within the large stocks.

But there is a huge value added even when you have to choose from within the top 50-100 stocks. If you look at our portfolio over the last five years, except this PSU phase that I have talked about, we have done a good job. Broadly, there is enough value added in the business by staying away from goofed-up obvious bad stocks. But there is a different thrill in discovering a completely new name. We have had our thrills in companies like Balaji Telefilms, E-Serve, Digital etc. There are several companies that no other fund owns but in which we hold 5-8%. But in many cases they don't make much of an impact to our NAV except that we get associated with them and we double our money. The investor gets to sleep and we keep our jobs.

CIO: You told us about what drives you into a stock. Could you take us through what drives you out of a stock?

Samir Arora: There are several big positions that we have quickly eliminated and never looked back. But there are some, which we keep going back to. Yet, our real returns during 1996-2001 came from not selling stocks too early. Take for instance, HDFC Bank. We started buying the stock after it got listed in 1995. At that time the stock traded at Rs30 but till 1998, it had not even reached Rs50. So, for three years, the stock remained flat. But after that it went up five times to Rs250. Now, for the last one-and-a-half years, the stock has remained stagnant. Yet, we keep buying the stock because as long as the company’s earnings keep growing at 30%, and the stock remains stagnant, it is bound to become cheap.

We bought 5% of Satyam in 1995 even though we were very small at that time. We were able to do so because at that time, the company was also very small. But for two years, the stock did not move much. But after that, the stock gave us phenomenal returns. You know, we own Digital for such a long time but most of its return has come in the past 6 months. So, we have to hold on to these stocks for a long time before they do anything.

Now, let me tell you why we stopped buying Hindustan Lever. Previously, we had the same argument for Lever as we have for HDFC Bank. You cannot lose money because after six months it will become cheap. However, in between Lever’s growth became very low. So, by holding it, it didn't become cheap. That is when we sort of sold it. Now, selling a stock when something goes wrong is relatively easy. The difficult thing is selling a stock when its valuations become too high. We normally sell more on company disappointments rather than on valuations.

In the past, we have held onto our picks, particularly technology stocks, for too long. We held on to Infosys because we believed that the company was doing a great execution job. For five quarters after its stock price peaked, the company kept delivering its guidance, which was issued before the stock had peaked. The stock peaked in March 2000. The company met the March quarter guidance as given prior to the peak, then the June, September, December and March 2001 guidance. It was only in June 2001 that the management issued a lower guidance.

So, for five quarters, the company met its pre-peak guidance but the stock had gone down may be 35%. The micro-view was that the IT services companies were doing great, they had good orders and were signing on an average 25 new clients every quarter. So, we held on to them. About six months later, that is, post the September 11 attacks, we realized that these companies don’t really know how much business they would do in the next quarter. We have to just identify the best companies that we want to buy in the sector and take a macro-call.

CIO: Basically to summarize, would you say that your exit criterion is a change in the fundamentals of the company?

Samir Arora: Normally, yes, it is a change in the company. Hopefully, we will also remember that extreme high valuation could also be an exit criterion – we have used this criterion much less. What I am saying is that if you look at our history, both the reason for success and the reason for criticism are the same, "You hold your stocks too long". Zee, multiplied 160 times since we bought it. Every Rs10 invested in the company had multiplied to Rs1600. But we did not multiply our investment to that extent because by the time we sold, it had already fallen to Rs700. So, we basically ended up multiplying our investment 70 times.

I remember having said in an interview with one of the business magazines that our year-end target for Zee was Rs250 when the price was around Rs. 100. However, the stock had multiplied 10 times by the time the year had ended and we did not sell during the year. Even if I had sold at Rs300, I would have tripled my money in a year and that would have been considered as a great job. While some might say that not selling at Rs300 was a good decision, others might criticize me for not selling at Rs1600. The same goes for Infosys. We made about 55 times in Infosys but we could have walked out at 20 times, as well.

We normally start with some valuation/price target when we buy a stock but more often than not, these targets gets revised based on new information about the company. It is difficult to sell sometimes for we start falling in love with our stocks as analysts and fund managers and forget to have a dispassionate view.

CIO: What valuation tools do you use in your analysis of companies?

Samir Arora: Primarily, we use P/E. We do not usually use EV/EBITDA, other than in telecom, because this parameter is used to justify that EBITDA is your answer, which is not. For a normal steady business in India, we have never relied on EV/EBITDA. So, while P/E is the main parameter we look at, sometimes we look at P/PBT to neutralize the effect of taxes. We also look at RoE but I think looking at DCF other than in one-two sectors, is an absolutely ridiculous way of doing things. This is because you really have no idea about what will happen in a company beyond three years.

CIO: What is the investment objective underlying your entire investment philosophy?

Samir Arora: The objective is to beat the benchmark and competition while generating absolute returns comes as a corollary. We try to beat the benchmark because over a long period of time, the benchmark normally does give you absolute returns. While in a bear market, one way to beat the benchmark might be to go, say, 20% cash. But we don’t do that. If we are an equity fund, we stick to equity.

CIO: If you were given the choice to trade between asset classes to maximize absolute returns, would you do so?

Samir Arora: First, let me tell you that we are always bullish on equity and here’s my favorite story: Infosys has been one of our largest holdings in India. The stock used to trade at multiples of 80-90 but has corrected considerably since its peak in 2000. In an internal study, we found that when Infosys fell 60%, virtually every small stock fell 90-95%. It is therefore, good that we did not sell Infosys on the grounds of high valuation because our normal tendency would have been to find stocks in the same sector but which had more reasonable valuations. In our study the top two performers in the TMT space during January 2000 to November 2001 were Infosys and Wipro. These stocks had the highest P/E in January 2000 and had fallen the least by November 2001. Thus, while not selling all our TMT stocks and buying stocks like BPCL could be called a mistake, holding on to Infosys within the TMT space cannot.

Now, coming to shifting between asset classes, as in equity to debt or vice-versa, you need to understand that we don’t want to take an asymmetric bet with the investor. Let me explain. Let’s say that our fund went up 100% in six months and the market went up 105%. Would that be called good performance? Well, 100% in six months is a phenomenal return but then as active fund managers, we should have been able to deliver higher returns than the benchmark. Having generated 100% returns in six months, let’s say, we decide that the market has peaked and we sell all our equity investments and move to debt. At the end of the year, however, you find that the market has gone up 120% and your fund, now totally invested in debt, has generated just 115%. What do you say to your investors?

As a predominantly equity-fund, even if we stay predominantly invested in equity with the aim of beating the benchmark, there will be periods of time when we underperform. In the last two months, we have underperformed, because we didn't have enough PSUs. However, the investors who invested with us in August 1998 should have no reason to complain. Yet, investors who invested with us in December 2001 could say that we returned, let’s say, 14% against some other fund’s 18%. Unfortunately, that is how it is. So, it is not ever a point of walking away because the investors have completely different entry points and different investment horizons. They expect you to outperform over the periods that they are invested in the fund and they are each invested over different periods.

CIO: Could you tell us about some of the risk control measures that you adopt for your portfolio?

Samir Arora: Well, there are many risk control measures that naturally come up in our portfolio construction. One is that currently SEBI says that you cannot have more than 10% in a stock. That itself brings automatic risk control on a particular stock. As far as holdings in a sector are concerned, we did not have any conscious restrictions. But it came naturally. See, there are five analysts who are covering different sectors. It is very unrealistic as an organization to have a situation where you are always buying stocks covered by one analyst and not having the time and money to devote to the other four. Each of our analysts would want stocks from their universe to be bought. So, just because of the way the organization is structured, we are adequately diversified across sectors. Fixing the maximum weightage in a particular sector does not make much sense. At the peak of the TMT boom, for instance, we had 50-55% exposure to the sector. In an absolute sense, this appears high. But relative to the benchmark it was not.

CIO: Are these limits applicable to your emerging market or Asian funds, as well?

Samir Arora: Globally, our emerging market funds restrict their exposure to a particular stock, to 5% of the fund corpus, or the benchmark plus 2%, whichever is higher. In the Asian funds that I manage, I restrict my exposure to a particular stock to the benchmark plus 4%. We also have a country limit of 5%. The idea is to reflect truly the stock selection as the reason for a return, rather than a bet on a currency, a country or a sector. Given these restrictions, we are clearly growth-biased investors. So, merely by definition, we will have a bias towards high growth sectors, whatever they are at a point of time. For instance, we don't have a shipping analyst in Asia, even though there are some Asian shipping stocks that we could buy.

CIO: How big is your investment universe? What are the factors that influence it?

Samir Arora: Well, as I told you, I manage three sector funds. Now, for each of these funds, we have to cover effectively every company in the particular sector. We cannot be unfair to those small sector funds by saying that we will look at only the top 50 companies. The sector fund has to buy at least 15 companies to be a meaningful fund in itself. That creates more work but is a huge help in that we have space for every stock. We have a fund for nearly every good story. While a small stock may not have much of an impact on our bigger funds, this is not so in case of our sector funds. So, we don't really have a size limit. However, a small stock does not get the same attention, as we cannot buy it in every fund. Discovering a small stock only for the sake of one fund is not as exciting as doing it for every fund of ours. Nevertheless, in theory we can look at any stock because we have all kinds of funds.

CIO: If you have a company with good management in a bad business and another company with a bad management in a good business, which would you choose?

There is no concrete definition for "good management"

Samir Arora: We want good businesses. A good business with decent management is better. In a bad business, the value that a good management can add is very low. We have seen in the past that even if you have a management that does nothing, a good business often keeps its momentum. But, yes, if you have a completely fraudulent management, then whatever the state of the business, you are unlikely to benefit.

The problem is that we sometimes do not know what is the limit of good corporate behavior. Is a company with large no: of outstanding options for management good to motivate them or a fraudulent behavior. Stock market analysts want companies to be open to shareholders but do not like companies that worry too much about their share prices. Would you rather have a company, which does not even meet the shareholders once a year like many multinationals or companies where the promoter will know every minute what is happening to his stock. Do you like managements where the owners are in charge or do you like professional management, which can also leave at short notice and at the slightest hint of problems.

Every case is different and we have to continuously adapt to what is good. GE beat their earnings guidance every quarter for a number of quarters and everyone thought that was good. Now since times have changed every analyst wants to know how exactly GE did that and whether everything was above board

Life is unfortunately more complicated than we think.

-------------
India_Bull forever Bull !
www.kapilcomedynights.com

Posted By: PrashantS
Date Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 8:11pm
This person is really smart...........i wish i had read this before and got into investing long back....Sandeep ji thanx for this article.........

i personally  like this line "A good business with decent management is better."

Date Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 10:21pm

Basantji and fellow board members,

If someone has access or have Samirs views on equity investment (interview/articles etc) , request to please post on this forum. I  read his interview script that I posted a no. of times and searching for the other stuff..(Google search doesnt return much )

No doubt  he was  considered as one of the brilliant in the Indian Market.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 8:42am

This one was there a long time back but it shows the vision of the man. He is one of the unsung heroes of the Indian bull run.

Charging bull     Business India (March 17 to 30, 2003)

Cricket has clearly overshadowed the recent Union budget. I therefore though it timely to interview the famous cricketer Navjot Singh Sidhu, who believes in calling a spade a bloody shovel, for his comments on the budget and on the state of our markets________

Q: What is your view on the reform progress in India?

A: Reforms in India are flowing like a river – simply unstoppable. They are running like an Indian taxi meter.

Q: What is your assessment of the latest Indian budget?

A: The Indian budget is laying the foundation for a strong economy and has maintained its thrust on reforms. I think that our finance minister has understood what I have been saying for years, ‘Great feathers make great birds’. The recent Indian budget was like chicken biryani with lots of chicken.

Q: Why is the market not reacting positively to all this?

A: These days, the markets are swinging like a rubber ball in a tidal wave. Good budget, decent valuations and low interest rates are countered by the current uncertainty in Iraq. But in the end you know that the stockmarket is like a wife – you never know which way she will turn.

Another problem with the Indian market is the complete absence of the domestic retail and institutional investors. Investors and fund manager are moving from stock to stock and sector to sector without any fresh money being invested. These investors have made our stocks like bicycles in a cycle stand – one falls down and then all of them go down.

Q: What is your message to all the investors who have lost so much money in the last few years?

A: I will tell the investors to have faith and to bear with the current bearishness. Do not give any honey to the bears by selling your stocks. These days a bear is looking more like a cheshire cat that’s had loads of cream. Some day very soon, the bulls are going to make mincemeat of the bears and eat them with tomato sauce. Bulls are going to crush the bears and they will need a hanky at that time.

Q: What are your favourite sectors in the current environment and particularly after considering the impact of the budget?

A: I like the banking sector at these levels. Low valuations, high (tax free) dividends and major reforms in the sector should provide for strong returns.

I continue to remain bullish on the Indian IT sector including the high growth BPO stocks. The Indian IT sector is globally competitive and increasing its share against all foreign competitors like an elephant trampling the paddy fields. The Indian BPO sector, on the other hand, is as innocent as a freshly laid egg, which will grow into a very fat hen one day.

Q: What is your view on cement stocks?

A: Although there is lot of consolidation in this sector, the Indian cement sector is like an Indian three-wheeler, which sucks a lot of diesel but cannot go beyond 30. Performance of these stocks is as erratic as electricity supply in an Indian summer.

Q: What is your view on the State owned units?

A: It looks that we were earlier traveling on the Indian roads and are now traveling on the German Autobahn. Well, may be not the German Autobahn but definitely not an Indian road either.

Q: What about debt investments at this stage?

A: With interest rates at historic lows, investors will slowly start shifting to equity as global uncertainty comes down post any action on Iraq. Debt investments are like an open soda bottle whose gas is over.

Q: What will you tell investors who have all their money invested in debt and zero in equity?

A: You know it’s very difficult to kill a man who is hell bent upon committing suicide. Any investors with such an extreme allocation to debt (versus equity) will look like a brooding hen over a china egg in the long term.

Q: Should investors invest directly or use mutual funds to make their investments?

A: I hope that investors know that all that comes from a cow is not milk. You need professional managers just like when you are dining with the demon you’ve got to have a long spoon.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 8:55am
This line stands out
---------

I hope that investors know that all that comes from a cow is not milk. You need professional managers just like when you are dining with the demon you’ve got to have a long spoon.

-------------
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!

Date Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 10:23am
Some day very soon, the bulls are going to make mincemeat of the bears and eat them with tomato sauce. Bulls are going to crush the bears and they will need a hanky at that time.

These words said in March 2003 and the Greatest Bull Run starts 3 months down the Line. That is a Visionary.

Posted By: nikhil090
Date Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 11:25am
Just a thought culled out from Samir Arora's interview:

"The price of certainity is very high in stock markets"

Very applicable for IOL.After reading in the forum, I also have been following this stock from 100, but then it moved in filters only and I never tried to evaluate completely for want of numbers/execution ability et. The result is that it is a 3 bagger from thereon

Date Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 11:38am
"The price of certainity is very high in stock markets" -
Yes, translated in simple stock market terminology it means sectors or companies that have high growth visibility will trade at higher PE's. No wonder http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=277 -  was always an over priced stock for the last 12 years and people argued over valuations while the investor made a 30 bagger.

-------------

Posted By: nikhil090
Date Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 11:51am
Also

"The maximum money is made when there is maximum flux"

Date Posted: 08/Jan/2007 at 12:10pm
Also
-------
Debt investments are like an open soda bottle whose gas is over.

BasantJi a request....highlight these lines in the above interview by editing them. I think that would be good and save space also.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 5:36pm
 Excerpts from CNBC-TV18's exclusive interview with Samir Arora:

Q: What do you feel about the markets and how do you think it is looking before the Budget?

A: Although I played bullish and I am normally bullish, I am a little uncomfortable with the pace of the market rally in the last seven-eight months and I think that we may be borrowing a little bit from the future with the pace of the rally.

I and my investors should be better off in the market if we got the same returns gradually and steadily over a number of months rather than every month thinking that this is it only to see a fall next month.

Of course, the bulls, and I am normally a bull, would say that the fact that we are so circumspect means that may be the markets will not correct after the Budget.

Q: What are you doing yourself then, have you started moving a lot of money to cash and wait to see the event or are you fully invested?

A: In our case, the fully invested is normally around 50-60% only because that is how we invest in this current fund.

So I have to think whether I should make it 40% or so and maybe near to the Budget, I would buy on few more puts and maybe increase the cost that I pay for insurance but I think I will have to do something like that, not because I think that the Budget will be bad but just that over a number of months, seven-eight months, literally every month the market is 5% or so a month and that a good Budget or bad Budget looks a bit high.

Q: Is the job of a fund manager slightly easier right now than earlier years because now we have a very active futures in options/F&O market as you said, in which you can buy some protection to guard against an event risk?

A: That is true but there is a cost to this and normally if I were to spend 2-3% of NAV then only would you be able to protect the whole fund at 3-4% away from the current levels.

So it is not just that the job is easier, there is a call and there is a cost to that. Actually the job of the fund manager appears easier because generally there has been a bull run and so everybody thinks that, it is because of their creation and not because we just happen to be in fortunate times, which is part of the story but we will spend some money on insurance and protect some part of the portfolio and we do not want that insurance to pay off because that would mean that the markets are falling but that is a bit for sleeping well in the night.

Q: What are the odds that we have a post-Budget slump, 10 out of 17 times, we have fallen post-Budget, in the month after the Budget, do you think it will be number 11?

A: If we ignore March, let us say that next three months, there will be some correction, which will take prices lower than what they are today.

Q: Significantly lower, you think?

A: I hope not and we are not ready for that, neither we wish for that and neither will we be ever ready for it because we, as I said, are bullish, I want to temper it a little bit for myself. There is no reason why it should be significantly lower, corporate results have been good, financial position, the government is good, foreign flows may not be very good but there is a lot of interest and I think they will buy any correction.

They will only stop buying corrections if after they buy one correction, the market again falls and the second correction may not be bought. But right now, the programming of the foreigners is that you buy a correction, even though it only takes you back to levels that you may have seen only three or four months before but just the psychological pleasure of buying a correction is still there and for ourselves also, last year for example the highest flows, absolute highest flows came at the end of May.

Q: What worries you about the set up right now? Do you think the correction when it comes will just be a factor of valuations and the lack of corrections for many months or do you think it will be a global event or a local event like inflation going up and it is already at 6.5% which will trigger that correction?

A: What trigger it gets, I do not know but when it happens, India will have a pretty steep correction because I am most uncomfortable with the sharp rally in stocks that nobody has heard of, that normally don’t even get fully subscribed and suddenly you find them going up. I think basically it is artificial and unfair and misleading and they are not just random traders.

So my feeling is that a number of stocks that go up have no basis and most probably when the markets fall, they will fall 80-90%, but I will not be shedding tears for any investors who have bought those stocks with open eyes.

Q: What are you more apprehensive about in terms of valuations? Did I hear you say that you are still comfortable with the largecap valuations but it is in the midcaps that valuations worry you?

A: I am most worried about the super high traded unknown names, obviously there are atleast 40-50, these trade in multiples of free-floats. In the large names actually if you are expecting a correction then you are safer off in the largecap names because the correction in midcap whether it has a lower P/E or not will be as savage than maybe without liquidity when it happens.

So today we still feel that in the largecaps, you choose the obvious longer-term themes and stay with them, maybe buy a new company here or there but broadly I am most nervous on which will trigger the fall with the high volume traded unknown stocks.

Q: What is your own weighting between midcaps and largecaps right now in the Helios portfolio?

A: If we consider as USD 500 million and above as largecap, then we will be on the long side around 75-80% above that because if you consider billion dollars as largecaps then maybe we are 60% or so, then we would have 140 companies like that.          

Q: How do you rate the new paper, which is hitting the market over the last couple of months because a primary market action has heated up considerably?

A: There have been two groups of companies hitting the IPO market those which barely get subscribed and those which gets subscribed 120 times. So mostly my feeling is that those which barely get subscribed have been giving much better performance and I would not touch them even if I knew before they went up that this is what will happen and the ones which gets heavily oversubscribed have also been recently disappointing and all in all the IPO experience has been very poor for the investors in the last four-five months.

One oil company Cairn is below par, so if you come out and if you consider that the money waited trade then many of the real estate companies are below par because if you get oversubscribed 120 times and if you go up 10% basically you lost money for everybody.

Q: What is your sense of the liquidity situation right now, January was very quiet, February we have seen quite a bit opening up. Do you think when the correction comes, there will be a lot of global money waiting to buy into it or they will skirt it for a bit?

A: No, I think first round, they will buy. The foreign investors and even the Indian investors are programmed to buy a correction now because in the last 3 years every correction buying has worked.

Let us say we consider a correction of 10% and after 10% some investors will put and after a month or two again is falls 8-10%, no body will buy the second correction.

Q: Do you think we will get off with 10% this time after no correction virtually for 8 months?

A: We don’t know that because this all depends on global factors which we don’t know about but when the market corrects 10%, some stocks in India will fall 50% and nobody will shed a tear for them.

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Date Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 6:22pm
Great Interview....
For me the significant line was
------------------

So my feeling is that a number of stocks that go up have no basis and most probably when the markets fall, they will fall 80-90%, but I will not be shedding tears for any investors who have bought those stocks with open eyes.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 8:22pm
Manager Speak
India Bull
 Feb 09, 2007  |  javascript:openwinmail%28/membership/mailpage.asp?ref=/story/mspeaks.asp?str=9405,278,500%29 - Email article to a friend

A self-confessed ‘India bull’, Samir Arora, fund manager, Helios Capital Management, wants to push India to investors around the world. Issues like high PE and slowdown in privatisation don’t bother him

How do you feel ‘selling India’ to your investors? In your opinion, what makes India a compelling case?
Relative to other choices, India is one of the best markets, not necessarily just the best economy. I say that because in India the choices that are listed on the stock market are of a much higher quality and much more diversified than the choices in other markets.

Indian stocks actually represent every sector of its economy. If somebody wants to bet on the consumer industry, infrastructure, media, private sector or public sector, it's all available in India in the listed format. Not so in Russia, Brazil or China. Over the years, I have been an India bull and was always overweight on India. But now, I don't have to sympathise with any other market and am 100 per cent in India. And I want to personally push India to the world. I think India sells well and works well. When we articulate our views, people listen.

Earlier, we would sell India on a bottom-up basis. We used to say that the companies in India are good with high ROEs. In the last three-four years what has changed is that people can go and push India at a country level and say that you need to have an India strategy.

People would initially just buy an emerging markets theme leaving it to the fund manager to be underweight or overweight in, say Korea or Taiwan. These investors did not choose India vis-ŕ-vis another country. In the last few years, India has moved into the big picture acceptance. Now even a retail Japanese or American, investing in a fund, would consider an India dedicated fund and thereby go for an independent India allocation.

What's your view on the statements referring to India's PE being higher vis-a-viz other emerging markets?
The Indian story is bigger than just declaring that its PE is two points higher than another market.

Many say that India's relative PE to Asia is the highest, therefore it’s a sell. They don't care that India or the world has had a three-year commodity bull run. So commodity companies have done well but their PEs are low because in commodities when the stock prices are at a peak, PE is not the highest but the lowest because earnings have gone up. In fact, normally in commodity companies you buy when the company is making a loss. Because then you hope that they can't make more losses, the capacities will be shrunk and all that. So by definition, the commodity driven countries will have a lower PE at the height of their bull run.

India will have a high PE at the height of a bull run because it has more of everything and not just commodities.

Globally, some sectors are generically low PE sectors — oil and gas, commodity, paper, chemicals — and others are high PE sectors — consumer, pharma and software. India has the lowest weightage of generically lower PE sectors and the highest weightage of the generically higher PE sectors vis-ŕ-vis the other emerging markets.

So just saying that India’s PE is high makes no sense. If you remove software, MNC and certain other stocks which other countries do not have and adjust for it, the PE difference would look much less stark. If you remove Infosys, India's PE will go down by 0.5.

Let's say you come and tell me that I cannot invest in India at 17 PE. I will ask you what you are comfortable with. 15 PE? Then I would say, don't invest in Lever, Infosys or Glaxo. Now take the rest of the companies and choose.

Date Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 8:23pm
So the higher price-earning does not bother you?
I would have considered this issue if the bull run in India was driven by local investors. If that be the case, then skeptics could say that the speculators are pumping money into the system and driving up prices and the bubble will soon collapse. But, this bull run is driven by foreign investors who have the choice to invest either in the US or Russia or any other country. But yet they are coming to India. Since this bull run is driven by the foreign investor who has a complete choice, it is more credible in that sense.

We had a large company called DSQ Software that suddenly went away. So we may have Infosys but we also have DSQ Software. What could be the fundamental corporate issues?
Let's take the example of the banking sector. There were 15 banks out of which five or six have gone out of business. Even then, if you would had invested equally in each of them, you would have made money, because the ones that that have gone up, have gone up by 100 times. Dangers are there but so are choices. You can't penalise the country for providing choices. In India, even the investors who themselves are not running companies can participate in the stock markets. But in many other economies, you as a normal stock market guy could not have been a party to it. In Russia, how many billionaires have been created because of oil and gas? But in India, Sunil Mittal did not become a billionaire alone. You could have got the stock at Rs 20. You could have bought RIL and HDFC Bank before they went up 50 times.

In India, the stock market gives you the opportunity to participate in every theme. Indian companies, for whatever reason, go public relatively sooner in their lives. By the way, in the US, nearly 300 companies or more have acted in ways which could have taken them to prison because they had issued back-dated options, which is basically cheating. The point is that corporate governance issues are specific to a country, and India is okay.

Date Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 8:23pm
Retail investors are cautious with the Sensex at 13,000-plus levels. How should they proceed?
Retail investors don’t have to care about an index. Institutional investors worry that if they don’t put the money in the markets and the markets go to 14,000, investors will ask them why the market went up by 7 per cent and their investments by just 2 per cent. A retail investor does not have to prove anything to anyone. So he may or may not take his time. He can wait three months before accepting the idea that 13,000 is just a number. Who knows the answer to that? Or he can do systematic investing. People are programmed to buy at a correction. When that will happen, nobody knows. Therefore, what we tell people is that you should invest only that much money that when it corrects, you can say I want to add, rather than saying “Oh God! I have to pay my bills and redeem”. We tell people to put only half of what they plan to invest in India.

Put only so much that when a correction comes you view it as a buying opportunity. Warren Buffet had said when you go to a shop to buy groceries and you see that grocery prices have gone down, do you feel happy or sad? Obviously happy. So when stock markets go down, and you are in the age group of 30-50, you are buying stocks and have several years before you sell them. So why do you want the markets to be up today?

Do you think the end of the commodity bull run will affect India?
The stock market is not a zero sum game. Ceteris paribus, the stock market every year becomes cheaper by 20 per cent in India and maybe 5 per cent in the world because Indian earnings grow 15-20 per cent as a market. And nobody in this world is projecting that Indian earnings should decline next year. They will say that 25 per cent will become 15 per cent because the commodity bull run is over. But I think if the commodity bull run is over, India is the biggest beneficiary of that because it is a consumer of commodities.

So how does it matter that two listed companies will have lower earnings and, therefore, on paper will appear that the overall index has lower earnings than before? It will be beneficial for all others because at the macro level, we are the consumers of commodities.

Date Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 8:24pm
Are you concerned about the pace of privatisation in India?
I have heard statements that the government is not aggressive in its privatisation drive. But, I say that India has the best privatisation track record in the emerging markets. People have defined privatisation as saying that the government should sell companies to private or strategic partners or go public. I look at privatisation as privatisation of a sector — how much of the sector is controlled by private companies? India has achieved privatisation of sectors without ever privatising the state-owned companies.

Isn’t the mutual fund industry privatised? Or is it that just because we didn’t sell UTI, we have not privatised it? In aviation, today, 70 per cent of the traffic is carried by private airlines. Insurance and banking? The government has not sold SBI or LIC to any strategic investor, but you can go to a private sector bank or a private insurance player. On the contrary, go to China and look for a private sector bank. You can only go to a state-owned bank which has a 20 per cent foreign holding but which is still run by the government. Is that privatisation?

You can say that the government lost the opportunity to raise money. If it had sold Indian Airlines to Singapore Airlines, they would have raised more money. By privatisation, the government’s role in the economy should come down and that is happening. In mutual funds, it has come down from 100 to 20 per cent but the government has never privatised its company. Every time you allow private guys to come in, they will win a bit of the share from the government. We have achieved it with genuine bottom-up private sector-created companies rather than selling one big company.

In closing, what's the flip side of investing in India? The downside?
It’s a single country. Single country risks are higher than a diversified index. Apart from that, other factors like the whole world corrects and there is another May.

This interview appeared in December 2006 Issue of Mutual Fund Insight.

Date Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 8:54pm

Ah-ha...someone wants to join the Club 500 soon it seems!

Just kiddin' Wink

-------------
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it

Date Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 9:59pm
Savvy Manager Samir Arora is in the town (Mumbai).Now we dont have to go to Singapore.Meet him before he run away!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 3:55am
Is Samir talking about real estate companies or companies like IFCI,TELEDATA etc ? Any ideas?

What hint one get from his interview is, correction is inevitable sooner than later  and what worries is after 2nd correction if no one buys (Unlike last year ?)

He is the man who reads the markets well and we should take note of this.
He seems to be quite ok on largecaps but not happy with midcaps (I read 100 articles of Indian MF managers favouring Midcaps-Year of Midcaps 2007 !!)

We  have seen best corporate results in 2006 and the base would be higher for 07..Lets see whether our XI lives up to the promise..

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 3:58am
Omji,

You crossed 1000th Mark congrats !!!( I just realised )Smile
Are you looking for TED stock options?

When is 10K expected  ?

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 5:41am
For the second "Correction" .... just see what happened to the Tudawal stock exchange (Saudi) in Oct-2006. I had given PM to many guys just as it was happening.

It is absolutely true that no one buys after a second fall. That is why i did NOT buy crude as yet.  Crude also had its second fall earlier during the year. A second fall usually confirms a "Lower Top" and is highly reliable unless the market goes into a "Triangle".....

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Feb/2007 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by SANDEEP

Omji,

You crossed 1000th Mark congrats !!!( I just realised )Smile
Are you looking for TED stock options?

When is 10K expected  ?

If Basant sir is kind enough!!Smile

As for 10K, man proposes and God disposes!

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Feb/2007 at 8:47pm
Just watched Global Views on Budget on CNBC. Always fun to watch Samir Arora.
Learned new insights:China has not done reforms,it has invested more in infrastructure.He is uncomfortable with high volume traded unknown stocks.For him,15-20% returns is bull market and 25% in some here and there stocks.Buying in correction is psychological.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Feb/2007 at 10:08pm
But the main thing is he expects a correction .........a big one..i guess..can some top guy analyse this ......

Date Posted: 13/Feb/2007 at 10:11pm
Correction is a part of stock market.We r in the midst of long term bull market. He said correction is a learning fee for young fund managers.Everybody pays it.

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Feb/2007 at 9:36pm
Profile of a Great Man
Samir Arora is the fund manager for the Helios Strategic Fund, a US$ 270 million India long/short fund. From 1998 to 2003, he was the Head of Asian emerging markets at Alliance Capital in Singapore (both fund management and research, covering 9 markets), a position from which he resigned in August, 2003 to focus exclusively on India. During this period, he was also the chief investment officer of Alliance Capital’s Indian mutual fund business and, along with managing Asian emerging markets mandates, managed all its India-dedicated equity funds.

In 1993, Mr. Arora relocated to Mumbai from New York as Alliance’s first employee in India to help start its Indian mutual fund business. From its inception in 1995, Mr. Arora served as the chief investment officer-equities of Alliance Capital asset management (India). He also managed ACM India Liberalization Fund an India-dedicated offshore fund from its inception in 1993 till August 2003. Prior to 1993, Mr. Arora worked with Alliance Capital in New York as a research analyst.

India-dedicated funds managed by Mr. Arora received over 15 awards during his tenure including the highly coveted AAA rating from Standard and Poor’s Micropal for four years in a row (1999 to 2003) for the India Liberalization Fund. In 2002, Mr. Arora was voted as the most astute equity investor in Singapore (rank: 1st) in a poll conducted by The asset magazine.

Mr. Arora received his undergraduate degree in engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi in 1983 and his MBA (gold medallist) from the Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta in 1985. Mr. Arora also received a master’s degree in finance from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in 1992 and was a recipient of the dean’s scholarship for distinguished merit while at Wharton.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Apr/2007 at 5:01pm
Expect 15-20% return from Indian market: Helios Capital

//www.moneycontrol.com/india/news/mfinterview/samirarorahelioscapital/expect1520retur/market/stocks/article/274578
The best part of the interview is
In Hong Kong, there was a company called Pacific Century CyberWorks where the government refused to allow a takeover by private equity funds, and one day later everybody moved on. So let�s not overdo this, the government in these countries, our country, every country, after all we are an emerging markets, so let�s allow one-two of these things and not make it as if the government is now going after every fellow who is ever made money in India. It's not like that, it's part of the game of being in an emerging market.

WOW He is too good.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Apr/2007 at 9:28pm
I was remembering him yesterday only...."Samirji tum sau saal jiyo"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Auto
We don’t own any auto, not for this reason, but generally, we have not owned on a simple theory that what doesn’t make money in the rest of the world normally doesn’t make money in India and we never owned it. But the point is that somebody can wait for that but it doesn’t change the overall opportunities in our market.
Cement
We have never as in ever owned a cement stock in our new fund since 2005, so we never participated in the bull run and we didn’t participate in the bear run.
Banks
But in an opportunity sense, we know the market cap of Indian companies, banks vis-ŕ-vis other banks in the region.(Probably he is comparing with ICBC of China)
Real Estate
So property prices may correct and may adjust but we should not care about them and actually hope and pray that they fall off lot more.
Interest Rate effect on Markets
So the point is that the market overreacts at overall levels. It is possible that certain sectors need a correction. But the point is that it doesn’t mean that the overall market has suddenly become negative because we have a higher interest rate. Everyone has been saying that the direction or the extent was not a surprise. It's just that they expected that this will happen on April 24 and it is sad that it happened on March 31.
IT
He continues to remain bullish on http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/stockpricequote/computerssoftwarelarge/infosystechnologies/11/09/pricechartquote/marketprice/IT - Infosys and the technology sector.

-------------

Posted By: Mohan
Date Posted: 04/Apr/2007 at 12:17pm
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/video/newsvideo.php?autono=274578 - http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/video/newsvideo.php?autono=274578

BRILLIANT, SIMPLY BRILLIANT

I just love the way Samir explained his reason for being bullish on Infosys.
Comparing  it to its peers like Accenture and Cognizant. Also how re reasoned that the aappreciation of the Indian Rupee means that it reflects positive FII or FDI inflows inspite of India having a current account deficit.
Bullish currency means bullish inflows means markets cannot remain bearish

Lastly, without naming names, the way he dismissed the bears viewpoint by saying that he's glad they have been right the past couple of days while pointing out that even their own firms do not follow their guidance so why should he.

Finally emphasising stock selection as the key, since he does not own the index. Very clearly he is staying away from commodities and real estate.

One very important point, an eyeopener really is that what one of these multinational banks will pay for a pure banking license only..........
USD 500 million to USD 1 billion.
Shows clearly that he is most bullish on valuations in Private Banking.

His  thought process reminds me of the Latticework theory of Charlie Munger.....

Basantji, Now I can see in real time the Practical Brilliance  and clarity of thought in Samir that you have referred to  in your earlier posts.

Posted By: vivekkumar_in
Date Posted: 04/Apr/2007 at 3:15am
Very impressive ...Samir Arora makes sense....

-------------
Often we forget there's a company behind every stock,and there's only one reason why stocks go up. Companies go from doing poorly to doing well or small companies grow to large companies.
P Lynch

Posted By: xbox
Date Posted: 04/Apr/2007 at 5:52am
I just love the way Samir explained his reason for being bullish on Infosys.
Comparing  it to its peers like Accenture and Cognizant. Also how re reasoned that the aappreciation of the Indian Rupee means that it reflects positive FII or FDI inflows inspite of India having a current account deficit.
-------------
I don't know why people do not apply own logic. What he said did not make sense. Starting only he said that he is bullish, so one should understand rest of interview content. Korea is one of the for most beneficiary of FII/FDI inflows in emerging markets but their currency is appreciated 25% in 3 years. Always remember all analysts have interest in markets. He is not doing charity at business channels.
Full interview content was biased and there is no truth. Another point.. IT companies are not at all depend upon Indian economy, they are dependent upon USA and Europe. Economy of USA is sinking for sure, so where will their currency go ? One don't have to be rocket scientist to answer this question.
Looks like he purchased second correction. (Monday one). Cool

-------------
Don't bet on pig after all bull & bear in circle.

Date Posted: 04/Apr/2007 at 10:14am
Vipul,
Don't know why you are overreacting to his interview. He was answering UM's questions and expressing his viewpoint. Time will tell if he is right or wrong.  Of course he is biased and has an interest  in the market. I guess we all do. Please be careful with your language.

Date Posted: 04/Apr/2007 at 10:31am
So the point is that the market overreacts at overall levels. It is possible that certain sectors need a correction. But the point is that it doesn’t mean that the overall market has suddenly become negative because we have a higher interest rate. Everyone has been saying that the direction or the extent was not a surprise. It's just that they expected that this will happen on April 24 and it is sad that it happened on March 31.

Makes a lot of Sense !

Date Posted: 04/Apr/2007 at 10:36am
I second you Mohan , we all may have different views which we should all respect, but we should  use Language carefully .

Posted By: Vivek Sukhani
Date Posted: 04/Apr/2007 at 10:51am
My vote for Mohan as well....

Date Posted: 05/Apr/2007 at 2:24pm
Samir Arora tracks not only India but other markets too...he understands our market very well....u may not have knowledge that he has..His fan list is increasing day by day... believe it or not...

-------------

Posted By: Ajith
Date Posted: 05/Apr/2007 at 4:08pm
  While Sameer Arora 's analysis and conclusions are faultless the fact remains that the recovery in our markets in the past couple of days have mimicked the US markets and if that market tanks 500 point-as it well might-ours will fall a multiple of that .

-------------
Ajith

Date Posted: 05/Apr/2007 at 4:42pm
On an intellectual level he is probably the best fund manager we have had. I would give you an instance. In the late 90's and thereafter http://www.theequitydesk.com/samir_arora.asp - Samir ARora's Alliance fund had what we call a concentration of conviction . He would put 10% of the money in Bharti and Eserve each  I do not think any of the local guys out here have that kind of guts.

The key takeaways from that interview which I can recall are:
1) He does not invest in http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=486 - cement
2) He likes investing in http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=121 - themes that have made money globally
3) He does not believe in timing the market nor does he put any money in  http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=279 - cyclicals
4) His strong dislike for some foreign brokerages.
5) His argument that top down/ http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=39 - sector call  is a better yardstick to use sometimes.
6) India will grow not because of the Govt. but inspite of it.

Personally he remains an Indian Idol for anyone who wants to talk about conviction, faith and intellectual ability to spot changing trends. 

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Apr/2007 at 5:12pm

Mr. S.A. is a professional money manager. He has excellent analytical & oratory skills. From what little we see of him on TV, he could easily sell refrigerators to eskimoes.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Apr/2007 at 5:16pm
I agee,Mr. Basant.Sameer Arora is with RJ the best picker of stocks in India a little ahead of anyone else in conviction and depth of invesment understanding theoretically and in practice.I forget everything else when either of them are on TV and it has always been impossible to disagree with these idols.
 I was merely expressing my concern (and confusion perhaps) on the market and the fact that in the last 3 days the Indian market has escaped a freefall perhaps due to the unexpected strength in the US markets.
 Kulmanji is right.Sameer ,I think tends to defend his position/stance emotionally  and this may be the reason he could not exit tech in 2000 if my memory is right.RJ,I feel can handle emotions better.

-------------
Ajith

Date Posted: 05/Apr/2007 at 12:38pm
I looked at the video clip again and found SA to be most rational in his analysis and approach. The manner in which he explained his reasoning for his approach, looking at the global picture and trickling down to the macro picture in the Indian context and how India was placed in the whole picture.(Classic top down approach) He was flexible in his position and was very clear of what sectors he was bullish in. Lastly, he had scaled down his expectations to 15-20% taking into considerations the ground reality in the Indian economy.  Lastly the only stock that he spoke about was infosys, and that too when he was asked a direct question about it.

Quite frankly, I look forward to listening to his views.

I must admit here had  I had a completely wrong opinion on him from his Alliance Mutual fund days based on some news reports I had read at that time.

Date Posted: 05/Apr/2007 at 9:22am

I think that ALliance MF fiasco was a deliberate attempt to undermine his growing stature. Otherwise Samir Arora would have had an equal number of followers then RJ. See RJ has made his money in the last 5 years but if you track Samir's history he has had a record of picking the cream out of the markets each time. A few of them are  noted below:

1) Satyam and Zee TV 1995
2) HDFC Bank 1996
3) Digital Equipments 2000
4) E serve 2001
5) Bharti 2002
6) Trent 2002

These are the big ones he had several profitable investments during this period.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Apr/2007 at 10:15am
Yes,Mr. Basant and that explains  his  optimism about the Indian market.Opportunities  are many for an astute rational stockpicker like him with a long-term view.A  view of his fund's holdings is ofcourse impossible.

-------------
Ajith

Date Posted: 05/Apr/2007 at 10:25am
BasantJi....if I am correct...

7) Siemens ...2003
8) IndiaBulls...2005-06

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Apr/2007 at 11:21am
India Bulls I am not 100% sure (it is based out of market rumours) but he did buy Kotak in 2003 in his funds and Kotak has gone up by more then 10 times.

Yes, he was the one of the early entrant into Siemens in 2003. The source of all this information is the Alliance India 2003 fact sheet.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Apr/2007 at 11:31am
After I went through that Interview earlier today....I exactly agree all of his views. I can also give a live example of the currency ...

It happened in Malasia in early 1990's. The Malasian Central bank was tigthening the interest rates as a measure of monetary tightening in the local economy...But then the yield on the currency became so big ....that lots of FII and FDI money started to pour into the country...Resulting in a surging KLSE and Rising property prices due to "Foregin buying". Rate Hike increased the liquidity, exactly opposite of what the central bank wanted.
I dont want to dwell into how it ended!!!

Who says ...Raising Interest rates are always bad !!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Apr/2007 at 11:50am
If interest rates continue to rise then our stock markets are headed down (temorarily)though that actually gives more opportunities.One way rising interest rates help would be wiser allocation of investments and puncturing  speculative bubbles as has happened in property stocks and artificially boosted land values.

-------------
Ajith

Date Posted: 06/Apr/2007 at 12:08pm
I am not sure what is running in great minds. Few picked me correctly and quickly. I liked his second fall theory and I appreciate people, if I know their interest in the matter.  From interview itself one can see if he/she is biased or not. When people make very strong point with lot of emotion, it means they are biased. I found many baseless points in the interview, which I mentioned it but I found myself against the current. Here I attempt once more ..(pls forgive my life)...
-> When he said how can we be bearish on markets when we are bullish on FII/FDI inflow (to support infy call).
Logic is quite simple to understand. Many people (UM aswell) understood the truth instantly. Explanation goes like this .. when we are bullish on India, we have to be bullish on currency which is bad news to all IT sector. Is it n't simple Approve
I know it hurt for the people holding such position but logic goes against them (& him).

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Apr/2007 at 12:28pm
Yes,Vipul if currency appreciates Infy will take a hit and that is why I exited the almost-fixed portfolio Franklin Infotech Fund and invested in DSP small and midcap.One can never forget the lessons of 2000.

-------------
Ajith

Date Posted: 06/Apr/2007 at 12:34pm
Thank you very much.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Apr/2007 at 12:57pm
Vipul...for the second fall to have been successful...it should have resulted in a new low, which clearly has not happened. Hence I would not buy that second fall theory just yet.

Look, the MSCI World index is again at a new high... indicating only one thing!!!

If you look at the Korean won...it has really appreciated against the USD and the Yen, and most of the currnecy of the world have appreciated against the USD and Yen. The KRW is flat against the EUR, GBP and many other currencies. For a real currency strength...you will have look at trade weighted basket Index level of a currency.

On that parameter...Indian Rupee is Overvalued by 7%. However this does not mean that the Rupee cannot get further overvalued, as markets, contrary to opinion, move away from the mean for longer periods of time than most prople think. But that also does not mean that a "Mean Reversal" in the rupee will never happen.

And yes...we all have biased views depending upon our underlying money in the market...and that is why we have views... to invest money!!! Time will tell who is right and who is wrong.

If a man does not back is own opinion with his own money ...then there is a serious problem as he himself is not trusting his views. If so, how does he think that the world will believe him.

For a personal disclosure...If I am bearish then I am short and If I am bullish then I am long as I trust myself and have the confidence to put my money where my mouth is.

Disclosure:...please dont assume from this that I am bullish or I am bearish, as this has been written as an informational message.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Apr/2007 at 1:00pm

Vipul,

In the hindsightI am in sync with you. Just your language disturbs a lot at times. Like when you say Nirvana and stuff like that. He was evidently biased but he candidly admits that as well. And its also true that he's not the only fund manager at all. He may have his views and we may have ours but still we must respect and if possible learn from other people's styles. He may not have invested in cyclicals but I know of many people who have invested in cyclicals and made even more wonderful returns. Even Peter Lynch made big money in cylical stocks like Autos and metals like Phelps Dodge. Warren Buffet is also invested in ConocoPhillips and Petro China and POSCO. But, this much is also true that Mr. Arora is one of the smartest money managers, may not be the best though. The problem is that in India we have dont have a glorious history of investment gurus. We have speculative Gurus but investment guru, not many.So, among such a community if we have a smart face who talks sense, may be biased, it still gets a lot of appreciation and deservedly so. The thing is thematic investors always hogs the limelight and hence their popularity.But I know of people who have made such money from nowhere just by sticking to the core principles. ina bull market, people like you(Vipul) will appear mistaken but its when the wind will be taken out of sails then our true conviction/strength will come out.And at that moment, you will get the respect you deserve.

However, I will be much glad to get your views albeit in a little bit more polite manner.

Regards,

Vivek

Date Posted: 06/Apr/2007 at 1:11pm
ina bull market, people like you(Vipul) will appear foolish but its when the wind will be taken out of sails then our true conviction/strength will come out.And at that moment, you will get the respect you deserve.
----------

As they say...."Dont confuse brains with a Bull Market".

and Vipul I too have full respect for you and your view point.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Apr/2007 at 1:12pm
I liked following statements from BubbleVision's post:

we all have biased views depending upon our underlying money in the market...and that is why we have views... to invest money!

If a man does not back is own opinion with his own money ...then there is a serious problem as he himself is not trusting his views.

I trust myself and have the confidence to put my money where my mouth is.

----------------------------------------
Great work. Effect of Good Friday?

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Apr/2007 at 1:21pm

Absolutely....Waiting for the US NFP, in thin liqudity conditions!!!

Today is going to a rollercoaster for Currencies!!

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Apr/2007 at 1:27pm
But just a thing bubble, if money is going to come to india thanks to real yield of rupee...the same may not go to stock.... there is a bond market here as well. the money may go to FMPs as well with a mandate to invest in debt unstruments.

So, being bullish on currency and thereby being bullish in stocks, in my opinion is a flawed conception. Am I right?

Regards,

Vivek

Date Posted: 06/Apr/2007 at 1:33pm
Perhaps it is because of re.-Dollar we are not talking much about WTI. Crude at 65 dollars to barrel with Re. at 45 to a dollar and with Re. at 42.80 to a dollar are different things.

Date Posted: 06/Apr/2007 at 1:35pm
If a man does not back is own opinion with his own money ...then there is a serious problem as he himself is not trusting his views.
---------------
Looks like many have love-hate relation with me (without I knowing it). Wink
 I look contradictory to myself/holding because I accept the truth quite quickly. When I say real-estate or Banks are worst place to stay, it does not mean that I have to sell my holding (just to justify to others). It only means that holding has moved to contra style. One don't have to be rocket scientist to figure out interest rates are bad for banks but I always said banks are first to come out from the web. Real estate is down but can one ignore real-estate sector for long. I guess no. When I say sectors are bad or out of favor, it mean one can see better price points but weather to buy something or not is not my call. Sugar was down, now cement is down but nowhere I said any positive thing to that.
Also I don't know why I have to look foolish (as mentioned above). One can see TED report card any time/day.
SA talk was full of cunning remarks but it takes courage to open eyes and walk of it's own. If I criticized SA this time does it mean he is not great fund manager. Not necessarily.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Apr/2007 at 1:39pm
I beleive I used the term foolish inaapropriately.... I meant you may appear wrong.

Will edit the term

Apologies and regards,

Vivek

Date Posted: 06/Apr/2007 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Vivek Sukhani

But just a thing bubble, if money is going to come to india thanks to real yield of rupee...the same may not go to stock.... there is a bond market here as well. the money may go to FMPs as well with a mandate to invest in debt unstruments.

So, being bullish on currency and thereby being bullish in stocks, in my opinion is a flawed conception. Am I right?

Regards,

Vivek

Yes Vivek....Logically you are absolutely correct. I can also give an example to support that view... $-Yen fell (Yen gaining) from 160 in 1990 to 100 in 2003, yet at the same time Nikkei fell from 40000 to 7000.

However we need to understand that the markets itself lack logic. Hence it is generally hard to see that.

I am saying that we must take any opinion on TV with a teaspoon of salt, As, i have given two examples (Malaysia and Japan) both stock markets doing the opposite under the same currency circumstances!!!

Now look at point of cycles to identify what may happen in India. ...This happened in Japan when it became Developed economy (after a 18 year Bull Market) and in Malaysia this happened when it was developing. I must caution...when things turned in Malaysia ...It was a sea of tears.

We dont need any expert to Identify where India is...

The markets are a very very interesting place!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Apr/2007 at 1:57pm
Vipul...I have no hard feelings with anyone!!!
I am just on TED to educate myself and ....You ... I can certify, have the courage to say an opinion, which is a great quality to have.

Cheers!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Apr/2007 at 1:58pm
or Bubble, may be India will be an another script altogether???

What do you say?

Print Page | Close Window