Print Page | Close Window

VITAMIN B12 DEFICIENCY

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Welcome- Have you registered on our mailing list?
Forum Name: Lounge - Great place to sit, relax, refresh and enjoy !
Forum Discription: Introduce yourself or welcome new users here, celebrate birthdays, events and other greetings. Don't miss out a chance to make someone smile.
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2359
Printed Date: 20/Apr/2024 at 12:04pm

Topic: VITAMIN B12 DEFICIENCY
Posted By: hit2710
Subject: VITAMIN B12 DEFICIENCY
Date Posted: 03/Sep/2009 at 8:06pm

VITAMIN  B12  DEFICIENCY

I AM PUTTING THIS ARTICLE BECAUSE RECENTLY ONE OF MY FRIENDS TESTED 32 DOCTORS WITH VITAMIN B12 DEFICIENCY IN HIS LAB. THINK ABOUT MANY OF US WHO MIGHT BE HAVING THIS DEFICIENCY.

THIS ARTICLE IS NOT MEANT TO CREATE FEAR AMONGST READERS. THIS IS JUST FOR INFORMATION WHICH I WISH SHOULD BE SHARED. NON VEG CONSUMERS USUALLY DO NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM UNLESS THEY HAVE PROBLEM OF ABSORPTION.

B12 deficiency is a reduction in  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12 -  from inadequate dietary intake or impaired absorption

COMMON SYMPTOMS

Early and even fairly pronounced deficiency does not always cause distinct or specific symptoms. Common early symptoms are tiredness or a decreased mental work capacity, decreased concentration and decreased memory, irritability and depression.  Sometimes it causes aches and pains in the body.

All the above symptoms are often neglected as tiredness or overwork or psychological problems (esp in cases of women)  Pronounced deficiency of the vitamin can often lead to problems of neurological origin like tingling and numbness, difficulty in walking (ataxic gait), paralysis.

Sleep disturbances may occur, because B12 may be involved in the regulation of the sleep wake cycle

SOURCES OF B12.

Vitamin B12 is found in foods that come from animals, including fish, meat, poultry, eggs, milk, and milk products and fortified breakfast cereals. It is also made by yeasts and microorganisms in the intestine.

CAUSES OF DEFICIENCY

DIETARY DEFICIENCY

Inadequate dietary intake of vitamin B12. As the vitamin B12 occurs naturally only in animal products (eggs, meat, milk); a  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegan -  diet can produce a deficiency unless one uses supplements or eats enriched food. Amongst vegetarian foods, only milk contains vitamin B12.

And I have frequently observed that people usually do not take sufficient amount of milk or even do not consume it at all.

Impaired absorption of   B12 occurs in conditions like pernicious anemia wherein the individual is predisposed . Here one will required lifelong replacement treatment of injections of B12.

NOWADAYS DOCTORS ARE SEEING A LOT OF B12 DEFICIENCY IN PATIENTS REASONS FOR WHICH COULD BE

1.       BETTER DIAGNOSTIC FACILITIES

2.       ONE THEORY PUT  FORWARD IS THAT DUE TO PRESENCE OF WATER PURIFIERS IN ALMOST ALL OUR HOMES, WE DO NOT GET CONTAMINATED WATER WHICH CONTAINS BACTERIA WHICH SYNTHESIZES B12 IN INTESTINE.

3.       POOR DIETARY HABITS----JUNK FOOD ETC, MAYBE EVEN QUALITY OF MILK (like quality of promoters) IS SUSPECT

DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT

SERUM VITAMIN B12 LEVEL ESTIMATION CAN BE DONE WHICH PROVIDES CLUE TO THE DEFICIENCY-----THE TEST COSTS AROUND 500-800 Rs

GIVING AN INJECTION COSTING 10-20 Rs AND IMPROVEMENT IN SYMPTOMS IS A LESS COSTLY AND PRACTICAL APPROACH. INJECTIONS ARE OF METHYL COBALAMIN AND ARE AVAILABLE AS BRANDS LIKE NUROKIND, HOSIT, NEUROMET ETC. THESE ARE WATER BASED AND RELATIVELY PAINLESS.

OTHER INJECTIONS LIKE VITCOFOL, ELDERVIT ETC CONTAIN OTHER VITAMINS BESIDES VIT B12.  SOME OF THESE ARE OIL BASED AND SOMEWHAT PAINFUL BUT USUALLY MORE EFFECTIVE BECAUSE THEY CONTAIN A COMBINATION OF VITAMINS BESIDES B12.

LIVER STORES VITAMIN B12 AND EFFECT OF INJECTION LASTS FOR 1-2 WEEKS TO 1 MONTH DEPENDING UPON TYPE OF INJECTION AND INDIVIDUAL VARIATION.

ORAL TABLETS ARE ALSO AVAILABLE THOUGH INITIALLY INJECTIONS ARE PREFERRED.

-------------
Stockmarket is a weird place. For every person who buys a stock there is a person who sells it and both think they are very smart.

Replies:
Posted By: lisaray
Date Posted: 19/May/2012 at 1:25am
Health update y'all

I got my results today from the docs. Guess what followers?

I’M PERFECTLY f**kING HEALTHY - aside from a B12 condition (aneamia) which is the reason I’ve been ill for like 6 weeks and looking like crap and having terrible cramps/ovary trouble and no periods/heavy as hell periods.

Yup.

Blood pressure - fine

BMI - morbidly obese

Diabetes - none

Weight - fat as ever

Ovaries - still hatin’ on me but NO CYSTS!

The funniest thing about this is my mother and father will be f**king gutted that they have no underlying illness to pin me being fat on and all that bullshit about worrying about my health needn’t be done because I am HEALTHY AND FAT.

I’m still eating healthy to make me feel better and get my immune system strong again :-) I have another doctor appointment on the 18th for my B12 deficiency. http://www.irondeficiencyguide.com/pernicious-anemia-vitamin-b12-deficiency%20 - b12 vitamin deficiency

Posted By: nazgul
Date Posted: 19/May/2012 at 1:52am
thanks hitesh.
most of all the symptoms you have outlined am afraid to say i have. Sleep imbalance cycle is acute with me. Its 1:16 right now at night and i cant find sleep way till 3. I do find lethargy in my legs and i do feel like overworked and exhausted after some amount of time. Concentration is not a problem but yes i think sometimes i do sense the waxing waning periods.
However i am a regular non-vegetarian but i smoke as well. all themilk i get is when i drink tea, nothign beyond that. Can i also presume that vitamin defeciency is the casue. have been smoking for last 8-9 years now. I also suspected a deficiency of B12 and Vit-C. Taking becosule forte capsules once a day now since the last 3 days. Hope it helps me. Also please od let me know if Zydus Actilife can be made a regular supplement, one glass a day with milk. Would it help to have a active life trouble free of normal psychological conditions like the ones you mentioned.

-------------
I don't do funds, i do fundas.

Posted By: ambore
Date Posted: 19/May/2012 at 10:25am
Originally posted by nazgul

thanks hitesh.
Sleep imbalance cycle is acute with me. Its 1:16 right now at night and i cant find sleep way till 3.

I started doing Pranayama before going to bed. That solved my sleep issues. I have been taking two glasses of butter milk for indigestion for the last three years. I think I am in far better health now.

-------------
Ramana Rao Ambore

Posted By: nazgul
Date Posted: 19/May/2012 at 11:26am
thanks ambore for the suggestions.

Will give Pranayamaa try for a week or so. 

-------------
I don't do funds, i do fundas.

Date Posted: 20/May/2012 at 7:10pm

I also suspected a deficiency of B12 and Vit-C. Taking becosule forte capsules once a day now since the last 3 days. Hope it helps me. Also please od let me know if Zydus Actilife can be made a regular supplement, one glass a day with milk. Would it help to have a active life trouble free of normal psychological conditions like the ones you mentioned.

If you suspect B12 deficiency, then becosules might not help much. You need to take pure vitamin B12 preparation preferably injections of hosit or neuromet initially followed by tablets of same name. Injections initially need to be taken on alternate days for around 4-6 doses followed by weekly for another 1-2 months and then once a month for next 6-12 months. Plus diet should include milk or else chicken,mutton and eggs.

Actilife is supposedly good for digestion and constipation problems.

If possible give up smoking. Believe me its a killer habit. Wont kill you but cripple you in next few years. Lots of hazards with smoking. It could be the best investment you could make.

-------------
Stockmarket is a weird place. For every person who buys a stock there is a person who sells it and both think they are very smart.

Posted By: Ravenrage
Date Posted: 20/May/2012 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by hit2710

I also suspected a deficiency of B12 and Vit-C. Taking becosule forte capsules once a day now since the last 3 days. Hope it helps me. Also please od let me know if Zydus Actilife can be made a regular supplement, one glass a day with milk. Would it help to have a active life trouble free of normal psychological conditions like the ones you mentioned.

If you suspect B12 deficiency, then becosules might not help much. You need to take pure vitamin B12 preparation preferably injections of hosit or neuromet initially followed by tablets of same name. Injections initially need to be taken on alternate days for around 4-6 doses followed by weekly for another 1-2 months and then once a month for next 6-12 months. Plus diet should include milk or else chicken,mutton and eggs.

Actilife is supposedly good for digestion and constipation problems.

If possible give up smoking. Believe me its a killer habit. Wont kill you but cripple you in next few years. Lots of hazards with smoking. It could be the best investment you could make.

Any way you know to get rid of that killer habit ?

-------------
Risk does not reside in price changes, but in miscalculations of intrinsic value .

Posted By: coolcarney
Date Posted: 20/May/2012 at 9:47pm
There are many eg. Nicotine patch. However, the very root cause, like most other things, lies in the mind.
Originally posted by Ravenrage

Posted By: jagbir
Date Posted: 20/May/2012 at 10:11pm
Thanks a lot Hitji for such a valuable information. In this world of heavy dose of news from different sources, its increasingly difficult to filter out really helpful and reliable one. Please do share such information for public interest even though they are not directly related to investing.

I have one small query if you can through some light on it, I heard somewhere that after a certain age like 5-7 years, enzymes which help in digesting Milk get reduced in our body and hence taking Milk don't give that much health benefit which we think usually, is this true?

-------------
I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.

Date Posted: 20/May/2012 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by jagbir

I have one small query if you can through some light on it, I heard somewhere that after a certain age like 5-7 years, enzymes which help in digesting Milk get reduced in our body and hence taking Milk don't give that much health benefit which we think usually, is this true?

As age progresses, I am alluding to late 50s and sixties, digestive power tends to decrease. But still milk occupies an important place in diet because it gives a good source of vitamins plus calcium esp in women.

If you are not too much into non veg, milk should find an important place in diet.

-------------

Date Posted: 20/May/2012 at 10:59pm

I think it requires strong will power. Most people tend to think in terms of reducing no of cigarettes slowly from say 12 to 8 to 6 over a period of time. But in my experience things dont work that way. You have to give it up totally one fine morning and stay away from them altogether.

For the craving of nicotine, there is nicorette chewing gum I think from cipla. It reduces the craving and withdrawl symptoms of smoking.

Just to highlight problems caused by smoking, it increases chances of coronary problems, peripheral arterial stenosis (something called Burger's disease where the stenosis of vessels of legs tend to create severe pain while walking, and often lead to ulcers etc which are difficult to treat.

Another well known problem is lung cancers. Plus it causes chronic cough and similar problems. And it tends to affect your near and dear ones for no fault of their own due to passive smoking being around chronic smokers.

There are articles on it affecting neurological system and preventing/delaying healing of gastic ulcers etc.

And combination of smoking with diabetes/hypertension with smoking is very damaging.

I guess plenty of reasons to give up smoking.

-------------

Posted By: abadhya
Date Posted: 20/May/2012 at 11:43pm
Guys ...good thread, on most IMP topic Our Health..Since few years I also facing huge tiredness n fatigue..Visited a good Dr in city n he asked for B12 etc deficiency dose..Gone through injection for few weeks n tabs ...But no difference/Improvement..
So Vit B could be one of the cause, but not the only cause..Do share your exp after taking doses...I think we need to research on more causes...Drs do not have any explanation..:-(..

-------------
Rahul.
Need of the Hour: Humanaire

Posted By: Ravenrage
Date Posted: 20/May/2012 at 1:01am
Originally posted by hit2710

I think it requires strong will power. Most people tend to think in terms of reducing no of cigarettes slowly from say 12 to 8 to 6 over a period of time. But in my experience things dont work that way. You have to give it up totally one fine morning and stay away from them altogether.

For the craving of nicotine, there is nicorette chewing gum I think from cipla. It reduces the craving and withdrawl symptoms of smoking.

Just to highlight problems caused by smoking, it increases chances of coronary problems, peripheral arterial stenosis (something called Burger's disease where the stenosis of vessels of legs tend to create severe pain while walking, and often lead to ulcers etc which are difficult to treat.

Another well known problem is lung cancers. Plus it causes chronic cough and similar problems. And it tends to affect your near and dear ones for no fault of their own due to passive smoking being around chronic smokers.

There are articles on it affecting neurological system and preventing/delaying healing of gastic ulcers etc.

And combination of smoking with diabetes/hypertension with smoking is very damaging.

I guess plenty of reasons to give up smoking.

Absolutely Hitesh ji , I started with almost 20 a day and have reduced to 3-4 , let me hope I can get over it .

-------------
Risk does not reside in price changes, but in miscalculations of intrinsic value .

Posted By: srihsd1
Date Posted: 20/May/2012 at 2:47am
Thought of adding this ....

Autoimmunity is another important cause of this disease . It affects absorption of B12 by the intestine. Thus almost all of the people in the developed countries - due to high cnsumption of meat and diary products - and most of the people in developing countries get this disorder because of failed or poor absorption of B12 rather than imbalanced diet.

So people with other autoimune conditions like thyroid problems, arthritis etc  are more prone to this disorder and should be watchful . 

There are some sublingual medicines that proved to be effective for those who want to avoid injections.

-------------
Best Regards
Sri

Posted By: pradeep0203
Date Posted: 21/May/2012 at 7:42pm
Just to add, many friends from my office(software company) had symptoms like body pain,fatigue, digestion problems for long time. Recently one guy went through vitamin level checkup and found that his vitamin D levels were extremely low.
The main reason, very low exposure to sunlight (going to office early in car/cab, return late, indoor gym). After taking D supplements his health improved significantly. Now many went through vitamin D checkup and found that all have same problem.

Posted By: Rishant007
Date Posted: 21/May/2012 at 10:01pm
Hiteshji,
Very nice article. People who are VEG end up with B12 deficiency and I think most of us Indians are lacking it. I myself had taken B12 cap for a while though I take Milk regularly.

Posted By: Dragonbhat
Date Posted: 03/Jun/2012 at 6:28pm
Hi Ravenrage,

Hey I quit smoking after almost 10 years of smoking. If I can so can you. It's been just about more than a year since I quit.

I started with smoking about 15 and soon was down to a pack. Stabilized at a pack for a few years. Then reduced to about 5-6.

How I quit is actually simple and quite opposite to conventional advice.

How I quit?
I know you want me to quickly get to the part of how to quit. But I'll have to tell it my way. The method is really silly. Like all smokers, during the 10 years of smoking, I quit many times only to fall back. Every time I was able to stay away I noticed one common thing - whenever I fell ill with fever* & cold - I would not smoke or smoke very less, like 1 per day. Like 1/2 a cig twice a day types. Once when I "quit" after a fever and then resumed, I came down to 3 per day. So, that time I decided if I ever get ill again and when I back to normal I wouldn't start. Ok, then here is the method that I used - I Started NEGLECTING the want for smokes. Whenever I felt like smoking I just neglected the feeling(a type of indifference).

It is unlikely that one can quit from 10 cigs to none. I have tried that at least 30 times. Don't use will power use NEGLECT like a feeling of indifference. First bring down the number to 2-3 cigs per day. I think my method will work only if you at a level of 2 or 3 otherwise the physical craving for nicotine.

I hope this method works for you.

-------------
Hindsight is 20/20.

Posted By: Sandy_p
Date Posted: 26/Aug/2012 at 11:23am
Hello Guys,

I had B 12 deficiency, and I had a issues of numbness in my both legs and hands, I was taking b12 supplement injections, but it was not much helpful, later on I visited neurologist and hi conducted lot of tests and finally found that I was victim of CIDP [Chronic_inflammatory_demyelinating_polyneuropathy] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_inflammatory_demyelinating_polyneuropathy..

Guys be aware if you are facing similar type of issue go to neurologist as early as possible. [This might cause paralysis if you'r not getting treatment on time.

Be healthy...

Rg,

Sandy

Posted By: mayekar
Date Posted: 03/Sep/2012 at 8:25pm
after i finish 1 week business trips, i have to take B12 injections, they are painful .

IN general i experience tiredness, fatigue.

This is very important topic

I am vegeterian and lack intake of milk.

Also, i dont eat fruits or green vegetables.(typical)

Posted By: gopal
Date Posted: 13/Nov/2012 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by mayekar

after i finish 1 week business trips, i have to take B12 injections, they are painful .

IN general i experience tiredness, fatigue.

This is very important topic

I am vegeterian and lack intake of milk.

Also, i dont eat fruits or green vegetables.(typical)

Mayekar,

I am also vegetarian and have never had B12 deficiency.

Your problem seems you consume a lot of fast food / junk food this I assume since you say you are vegetarian and do not consume milk, eat fruits or green vegetables. That means your problem is samosa, pizza, burger, kachodi, noodles, pakoda, etc

rgds

-------------
Women are like the stock market Coz they're irrational n can bankrupt u if u're not careful

Print Page | Close Window