Print Page | Close Window

Samir Arora talks to the members of TheEquityDesk.

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Market Strategies
Forum Name: Buffet, Lynch and other legends - Investing Strategies
Forum Discription: DIscuss about the strategies followed by the great investors. Share an idea which would have impressed the masters. Try and bring their International experience into the Indian Markets.
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2337
Printed Date: 26/Apr/2024 at 11:29am

Topic: Samir Arora talks to the members of TheEquityDesk.
Posted By: basant
Subject: Samir Arora talks to the members of TheEquityDesk.
Date Posted: 24/Aug/2009 at 8:33pm
Samir Arora runs the Singapore based  Helios Capital and is known for his candid talk. One of his recent interviews to CNBC-TV18 had raised a small flutter amongst the members of TheEquityDesk. In this connection we tried to put forth our questions relating to his recent strategy on the markets and also his investment philosophy.

In this article Samir talks of how his strategies are guided by the mandates and compulsions of the fund, how the retail investor can outsmart the institutional guy and more importantly how relevant it is to follow each of the FII/MF trades

Expectations from a Hedge Fund: I run a long/short hedge fund which means that we are always long some stocks and short some stocks (sometimes specifically having pair long and shorts but most of the times owning stocks and separately shorting some other stocks). In the minds (and expectations) of our investor we are supposed to deliver better risk adjusted returns than a long only fund. This basically means that we under perform a rapidly rising market (for our net exposure to the market is no where near 100% unlike a long only fund) and end up out performing  a falling market.

In general, the investor does not mind giving up a part of the upside on the expectation that we will not give him the same downside (or draw down) as the market.

In 2008 when the markets were falling steeply I resisted reducing my longs or increasing the shorts in the first few months. All I was saying in this recent interview was that if the market fell sharply (say 10% in a month) I will not resist it this time and go along in selling/reducing net exposure/increasing shorts for my investors are happier if I can protect them on the downside even if I end up giving up a part of the upside (if the market goes up soon after falling sharply  and I am whipsawed).

In our view risk is basically risk of a large drawdown (sharp 10% type fall in our NAV over any period). In the hedge fund business, short term performance is quite important and I have reconciled to that. Of course, the investor is not being totally unfair for he is willing for us to give up part of the upside to protect the downside. We try and reduce this drawdown by actively buying puts, shorting index and shorting stocks and reducing net exposure if markets are weak (this may be counter intuitive – for we sometimes sell when the markets are weak instead of adding to the positions. After experience of 2008 it is not obvious to me that is a wrong strategy although we try not to panic at every twist and turn). In general, we keep our long positions for the long run and try and reduce net exposure in volatile times by adding to shorts through futures markets (rather than disturbing the long positions).

Individual vs. professional investors:

How many times have we heard the argument that individual investors are no match to professional, institutional investors in equity market? According to conventional logic, institutional investors have the best resources to meet the long-term investment goals of investors.

All the strengths and resources of an institutional investor appear real, but it is not clear how these resources help them in developing a long-term view. Access to Bloomberg and Reuters, an army of analysts attending corporate results conference calls and access to other live data sources helps institutional investors gain short term edge. On the other hand, retail investors operate with no differential competitive advantage over institutional investors in access to short-term news. Not constrained by any benchmark considerations and not having to show their weekly performance to clients, retail investors are ideally suited to hold a long-term view. However, the problem is that these investors pride on their short-term views.

The problem with the stockmarkets is that retail investors, who have the luxury of being long-term choose to be short-term and institutional investors, who have the resources to be short term, use them to try and achieve long-term success. No wonder none of these groups are successful, and the debate never ends.

Sector preferences:

In general we do not buy consumer staples, pharma and commodity stocks and like infrastructure, financials and urban oriented under penetrated sectors. We do not buy ultra small cap but are sometimes willing to buy illiquid stocks. We also do not like Indian companies expanding aggressively in foreign markets for we bet on India and not on Indians. The real factor we like is scalability (that means that revenue opportunity should be very big- it is for this reason that I stopped liking ENIL and TV 18 initially).

I have bought only one FMCG company and the weightage of that is also less than 2% in my portfolio so I have not changed my big picture view that overall I do not like this sector for various reasons (high P/E, moderate growth, reliance on rural India which grows much less than urban India, services and manufacturing in general, costlier to target rural customers due to lower concentration of consumers etc)

I like commercial airconditioning business for I believe that this is the best way to play creation of urban infrastructure- malls/IT parks/airports/hotels/high rise office blocks etc all need a much higher proportion of commercial airconditioning content. We own the leader in a significant way (also because of its international business and other segments).

In the case of the 2 wheeler company we bought the stock earlier in the year (around December/January- may be the interview was in March) and sold it recently. After it was clear that India was having a very weak monsoon period we decided to reduce our weightage in stocks that were strongly supported by rural growth and consumption. Although we all expect that current drought across rural India will not have a big impact on the market (due to global liquidity), it cannot be the case that no company will be affected. In general, we do react to news/views if we believe that it will have a material impact on stock prices in the short term (even if we believe that in the long term the stock in question is OK).

I liked real estate sector earlier this year as the stocks were discounting serious liquidity issues- which starting disappearing as companies raised capital. I do not like mid cap real estate companies and I do not consider normal companies which have some valuable piece of land as real estate companies. Also, in many such cases where a normal company has some real estate and it sells or develops that land, there is no guarantee that they will not invest the proceeds in their mediocre current businesses (some how all companies which were sitting on valuable land parcels were otherwise really mediocre).

Basically what we like are companies that can compound their earnings for a long time with infrequent dilutions. Infrastructure sector offers the possibility of years of growth which will basically be exploited by the same group of companies (in each sector). I do not like areas where the top down growth is not so obvious and not so high (telecom sector for example currently). Within the infrastructure sector I like power sector.

We like the second largest housing finance company and own it.

General:

1. I do not think that what FIIs/MFS are doing every day makes any impact to the stock prices and there is no reason to bother with that. The only time it matters is if large blocks change hands which were a clear overhang on the market( for example when Fidelity had a change of manager recently or the TCI fund decided to exit Indian PSU banks earlier this year). In general, there are now so many individual fund managers at each mutual fund company and they all cannot be good, by definition, so following the MF transactions have even less value than when you knew exactly who has bought.

2. We do not invest in a company without meeting the management but I am not sure that each time these meetings add value (for managements are nearly always bullish about their business and prospects). Many times the management is very articulate in explaining their future but global issues overwhelm the fundamentals.

3. I read 3-4 investment books a month and my all time favorite is “Fooled by Randomness”. Other books I have liked are “Reminiscences of a Stock Operator”, “The Future for Investors” , “Against the Gods”, “The Black Swan”. “When Genius Failed” “Devil takes the Hindmost” etc. These books are for enjoying not only for necessarily learning.

4. I am not sure whether family businesses are worse or better than professionally run businesses My view on corporate governance is that in general all companies have poor governance in absolute. The biggest fraud in India currently is the issue of warrants to promoters with 25% down payment. However, once you accept that all companies have pathetic governance it no longer irritates you and you can treat corp governance as a scale rather than treat it as YES/NO factor. Therefore, some companies have better governance than others but in absolute I can find flaws and conceptual or philosophical frauds in nearly all companies.

5. I do not think that an individual investor needs to buy only a handful of companies to make real money. If you hold 20-25 companies the impact of fraud is significantly reduced.. If one stock goes up a lot and becomes  a disproportionate part of the portfolio it does not mean that you have to sell it solely for diversification reasons. I do not consider your risk of losing paper profits in the same way as losing original capital and therefore your portfolio may end up becoming concentrated and that is OK. Concentration should evolve with some stocks doing really well and not by your buying them in a concentrated fashion. 

6. In my fund I do not invest in fixed income or indeed anything other than listed stocks At a personal level, I think that individuals who are not full time investors (and therefore have an independent source of income via job/business etc) can afford to have a high allocation to equities. In fact professional investors (who try to make a living through investments) should have a certain portion allocated to fixed income to provide stability in bad phases.

file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CUSER%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml - -
file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CUSER%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml - Also check:  forum_posts.asp?TID=238 - Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham- Samir Arora

forum_posts.asp?TID=238 -

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Replies:
Posted By: smartcat
Date Posted: 24/Aug/2009 at 8:54pm
We like the second largest housing finance company and own it

LIC Housing Finance?

Posted By: chimak10
Date Posted: 24/Aug/2009 at 8:56pm
Wow.......samir arora answerd.....cool........never would have thought i could in any way interact with guy like this.

Thanks Basantjee

Posted By: chimak10
Date Posted: 24/Aug/2009 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by smartcat

<FONT size=2 face=Tahoma>We like the second largest housing finance company and own it

LIC Housing Finance?

After HDFC that's the second largest........HFC

Date Posted: 24/Aug/2009 at 9:16pm
once you accept that all companies have pathetic governance it no longer irritates you and you can treat corp governance as a scale rather than treat it as YES/NO factor. Therefore, some companies have better governance than others but in absolute I can find flaws and conceptual or philosophical frauds in nearly all companies. 

And that's why, ladies and gentlemen, one should NOT ignore companies like Adani Enterprises, JP Associates, Uflex etc based on "unmeasurable" parameters like  'management quality'.

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 24/Aug/2009 at 9:32pm
Thanks a lot to Mr. Arora for taking time out of busy schedule to answer queries.

My sincere request to TED members (including yours' truly) is not to dilute this thread by mentioning individual stocks.

-------------
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards

Posted By: Mohan
Date Posted: 24/Aug/2009 at 11:10pm
Thank You Basantji for this informative interaction between TED and Samir.

One more question comes to mind, and that is,
Is Samir a visitor on TED and If yes, can he share his thoughts on it ?

-------------
Be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful.

Posted By: subu76
Date Posted: 24/Aug/2009 at 11:15pm
Kulman....Sir you really dampened our spirits.... Smile

Basant Sir, thanks a lot.....a great read....

hopefully the advantage of individual investors shall kick in a bit for us as well...

Posted By: deveshkayal
Date Posted: 24/Aug/2009 at 11:30pm
[QUOTE

In general we do not buy consumer staples, pharma and commodity stocks and like infrastructure, financials and urban oriented under penetrated sectors.

forum_posts.asp?TID=238 -

[/QUOTE]

Can someone please expand this. Which are the sectors covered in this category ?

Thanks Basantji and Samir Arora for the interview.

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Posted By: FutureBull
Date Posted: 24/Aug/2009 at 11:44pm
I am really privileged to be part of this grp..great work Basantji

I would like to put few queries:

>> Investors have made tons of money in insurance and healthcare..could he share his view how to play them in the Indian context?

>> Does recent deal between Fortis and Wockhard make him optimistic about organized healthcare?

-------------
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.

Posted By: deepinsight
Date Posted: 24/Aug/2009 at 11:52pm
Really appreciate Samir A for taking the time to articulate his thoughts and Bansantji for making this happend.

-------------
"Investing is simple, but not easy." - Warren Buffet

Posted By: Monkey
Date Posted: 24/Aug/2009 at 12:42pm
Basantji, thanks a lot. Samir sir, thanks for your time.

Posted By: TCSer
Date Posted: 24/Aug/2009 at 12:59pm
Wow! hard to believe tat the biggest India bull SA is interacting with us

Great work Basantji.Keep it up.Clap

Posted By: khokhadream
Date Posted: 24/Aug/2009 at 1:11am
"I like commercial airconditioning business for I believe that this is the best way to play creation of urban infrastructure- malls/IT parks/airports/hotels/high rise office blocks etc all need a much higher proportion of commercial airconditioning content. We own the leader in a significant way (also because of its international business and other segments)."
Any guess about the leader. TED (because of basantji) has been bullish on this sector already.

Posted By: mira
Date Posted: 25/Aug/2009 at 12:18pm
Thanks basantjee at the outset for the pains you are taking
I think in commercial airconditioning he was referring to voltas . In housing company he was probably referring to lic housing finance . The answers of samir arora were quite knowledgeable but somehow i feel that he is not the same samir arora he used to be prior to the crash of 2008 . I think his investment philosophy has gone a sea change .

-------------
god is great

Date Posted: 25/Aug/2009 at 12:20pm
if somebody can please clarify , i could not get his point on tv-18 and enil. is he still bullish on them or he does not find the external opportunity huge and therefore have dropped them

-------------
god is great

Date Posted: 25/Aug/2009 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by mira

somehow i feel that he is not the same samir arora he used to be prior to the crash of 2008 . I think his investment philosophy has gone a sea change .

Why would you say that? Can you be a bit more elaborate in this?

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: leo2007
Date Posted: 25/Aug/2009 at 12:33pm
Concentration should evolve with some stocks doing really well and not by your buying them in a concentrated fashion.
=====================================
SA has given  a different defenition of concentrated portfolio.

Posted By: omshivaya
Date Posted: 25/Aug/2009 at 12:48pm
Thank you very much Basant jee. And a lot of thanks to Samir jee really for taking time out to answer. Thank you both of you!!!

-------------
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it

Date Posted: 25/Aug/2009 at 12:55pm
previously he used to be very bullish and was unperturbed by crash like the one in 2004 or the one in 2006 . He has made his life difficult by doing all this long/short phenomenon. He might be quite succesful at this one but we all know the samir arora for all his excellent investment calls in satyam , zee etc. in the nineties , bharti , pantaloon in the early two thousand. With the mandate at alliance capital his performance in investment calls were excellent but after leaving alliance and in his new helios fund i feel he is a bit shaky after the 2008 crashes. I had followed a few of his seminars and interviews on tv and somehow feel that he is a bit confused with his investment philosophy now a days. Lastly i must say that i am too small to judge a person like samir arora who has been a phenomenon in his own way but i have stated what i felt like and i am sorry if i had hurt any bodys feeling

-------------
god is great

Posted By: Khan
Date Posted: 25/Aug/2009 at 12:58pm
Thanks Basantji..
from the following statement,

"Concentration should evolve with some stocks doing really well and not by your buying them in a concentrated fashion. "

does it imply that, SA proposes an equal weighted investment strategy? Decide on stocks to invest and make regular investents? 

-------------
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten

Posted By: stockwizard
Date Posted: 25/Aug/2009 at 9:02am
One of the areas which is really under penetrated is cold storage.. where companies like voltas, bluestar and new entrants like container corp are prominent picks.. but it is not urban oriented by large..

Posted By: prashantmohta
Date Posted: 27/Aug/2009 at 1:01pm
Whether lic housing is considered to be 2 largest hfc co.
Inside Icici,pnb, sbi all are doing.

In 1994 lic s price was 100 rs and today it is 672 not a great compounder .

Posted By: Hitesh Shah
Date Posted: 27/Aug/2009 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by prashantmohta

Whether lic housing is considered to be 2 largest hfc co.
Inside Icici,pnb, sbi all are doing.

In 1994 lic s price was 100 rs and today it is 672 not a great compounder .

I'm not sure that SA is a buy-n-hold type of guy. He sees his opportunities and acts accordingly so he may not be looking for, or advocating, steady compounders.

-------------

Posted By: prashantmohta
Date Posted: 27/Aug/2009 at 1:22pm
knowledge wise he is considered to be world class investor but he has to manage diversified mf or plain pms.

Posted By: deveshkayal
Date Posted: 27/Aug/2009 at 1:49pm
SA has underperformed the Index this year. Also since inception of his fund in July'05, he has posted 10.5% CAGR which I think is not so great.

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Posted By: rajnsharma
Date Posted: 27/Aug/2009 at 9:34pm
my $0.02 on Buy and Hold Strategy

Buy and Hold strategy doesn't mean that we should hold on to overheated stock where next few years of growth is already priced in. The basic investment policy is to buy from pessimists and sell to optimists wheever they overshoot the limits. Samir Arora is no exception to this.Big%20smile

Regards,
Raj 

Date Posted: 27/Aug/2009 at 10:11pm
I think we should read back the mandate of the fund a long short hedge fund cannot function under a blanket buy and hold mandate. Also he has been bullish on certain companies for the last few years on the trot. I am pretty much aware of that so assuming that Samir is no more a buy and hold investor isn't correct but surely when there are redemptions in a fund and the markets fall the mandate of the fund and the demands of investors take over.

-------------

Posted By: rajeshn07
Date Posted: 29/Aug/2009 at 8:35pm
He has lost his aggressiveness (60 long 40 short ! etc ) In his recent interview in cnbc and in this thread too, he sounded very cautious.

-------------

Posted By: kumardiwesh
Date Posted: 29/Aug/2009 at 8:38pm
That's the mandate of his fund.
He is restricted by the mandate.
A long/short hedge fund would generally outperform in bear markets and underperform in bull markets.

-------------
"History does not tell you the probability of future financial things happening" - Warren Buffett

Date Posted: 29/Aug/2009 at 11:12pm
Instead of being unnecessarily judgemental we should be thankful to Samir Arora for having taken time out and answered all our questions one to one. The debate should be specific to his investing strategy vis-a-vis sectors, concentration, analytical tools, his experience on long term portfolio building strategies etc rather then on his becoming cautious when he has clearly mentioned the expectations from a hedge fund manager as an opening remark to his article.

-------------

Date Posted: 29/Aug/2009 at 11:46pm
One thing I'm confused about now is the definitiion of a hedge fund. Aren't hedge funds supposed to be super-aggressive, jumping into a market with a billion dollars and moving out with 2 billion after 1 year? Isn't that the reason why some countries frown upon hedge funds?

Date Posted: 29/Aug/2009 at 12:53pm
From what I know they are termed long only hedge funds, there is another category which just shorts stocks a fund run by Dana Galante generated a 15% Cagr from 1995 to 2000(The mother of the biggest bull market in US ever) at the height of the techbubble by ONLY shorting stocks (if anyone can start a new topic on her with some links then it would be interesting).

Generally short sellers are termed unpatriotic because they are betting on failure rather then success, hence Govts. normally do not like hedge funds because they sell when markets fall and buy when they go up.The long only funds also liquidate when the value of its holding hits a certain threshhold and that does not make it popular because they aggravate the trend - both ways. Some say it is hot money some can call it warm money but money has no color nor temperature.

But it is these short sellers that bring wonderful prices to the long term investor so without the short seller one could never have bought companies at 30pc RoE with 5pc yield at PE of 5 times.

-------------

Posted By: omshivaya
Date Posted: 29/Aug/2009 at 1:17am
Originally posted by basant

Instead of being unnecessarily judgemental we should be thankful to Samir Arora for having taken time out and answered all our questions one to one....

I agree and respect that view 100%.

-------------
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it

Posted By: nikhil090
Date Posted: 03/Sep/2009 at 12:05pm
Excellent information given. The way he looks at things is very different and almost ruthless.
One of the most important things for me is "Basically what we like are companies that can compound their earnings for a long time with infrequent dilutions."

This I have learnt after lot of pain and is probably very important factor for me - alternatively look at ROE/ROCE

Posted By: vcheenu
Date Posted: 06/Sep/2009 at 2:43pm
Good work Basant JI! Thanks to SA for answering the TED questions.

- Sriniv

-------------
Dont go with Expectations!

Posted By: mokshh75
Date Posted: 18/Nov/2009 at 12:11pm
Which indian listed company falls under this category?

Posted By: mk1k
Date Posted: 05/Mar/2010 at 8:26am
How about Hitachi?

Posted By: charchilp
Date Posted: 08/Apr/2010 at 4:56pm
it is a gud one

-------------
http://www.capital-office.co.uk - Virtual Office London

Posted By: studentoflife
Date Posted: 10/Apr/2010 at 1:11am
Was this a face to face interaction?How was this interview conducted?

Posted By: mollu
Date Posted: 10/Aug/2010 at 6:10pm
I run a long/short hedge fund which means that we are always long some stocks and short some stocks (sometimes specifically having pair long and shorts but most of the times owning stocks and separately shorting some other stocks).

================
http://www.pulled-muscle.com/ - muscle pain
http://www.foodsketches.com/en/ - travel logs

Posted By: mane.ramesh
Date Posted: 17/Aug/2010 at 8:09pm
where is samir arora answering queries to memebrs ????????????????????< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="if(of(jsCall)==''){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" ="">

Posted By: hawakeye
Date Posted: 17/Aug/2010 at 12:53pm
i grabed it at 700 range after seeing  basantjees  article on Samir Arora .
. thank you ted

Date Posted: 17/Aug/2010 at 4:24am
You should thank Samir Arora for that!

-------------

Posted By: hawakeye
Date Posted: 18/Aug/2010 at 3:07pm
Yes. Thank you Samir Aroraji.
But without you Basantji, I never would have come across the article.

Posted By: ravi
Date Posted: 18/Aug/2010 at 9:22pm
Myself, read an article on the discussion between Samir Arora and RJ. Personally felt Samir made a lot of sense then RJ. With due respect, RJ is one of the black swans who is one freak case of what we see in movies- I came with no money, had nerves of steel  and made big. Personally screaming "I believe in India" does not make much sense as cashing in on the opportunity of structural inefficiencies and dysfunctional politics as much as saying I believe in Indian markets.

-------------

Posted By: joslinjose9
Date Posted: 09/Sep/2010 at 5:00pm
samir aroras midcap pick delta corp

-------------
fear of lord is the beginning of wisdom

Posted By: Alok Bhola
Date Posted: 09/Sep/2010 at 10:23am
Originally posted by ravi

Myself, read an article on the discussion between Samir Arora and RJ. Personally felt Samir made a lot of sense then RJ...

Can you please provide a link to that article.

I personally agree with you that besides capability, one also needs tons and tons of good luck to reach the level of WB, RJ etc.

Posted By: ravi
Date Posted: 10/Sep/2010 at 12:01pm
It wouldn't be much of help but somewhere in the related thread there was a link by Kulman on a discussion between RJ and SA. THe discussion was centered on the realestate, huge gold holdings and growth potential of India.

-------------

Posted By: ashokagroup
Date Posted: 04/Oct/2010 at 4:56pm
Great answer !!

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Oct/2010 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by stockwizard

One of the areas which is really under penetrated is cold storage.. where companies like voltas, bluestar and new entrants like container corp are prominent picks.. but it is not urban oriented by large..

Concor has invested heavily into cold storage.
These private companies once wanted to compete against Concor.But now they have started complaining to the government that Concor is too large an entity,so please give us concessions.

-------------
First step towards learning is the realization that you do not know anything.

Posted By: mane.ramesh
Date Posted: 08/Oct/2010 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by studentoflife

Originally posted by stockwizard

Concor has invested heavily into cold storage.
These private companies once wanted to compete against Concor.But now they have started complaining to the government that Concor is too large an entity,so please give us concessions.

Concor : A rich elephant of India. Somewhere I read food wastage in India is equal to food consumtion in Britain. Going forward we have to stop that as due to increasing population we will fill huge food shortage and cold storage will be ACE area and this RICH Elephant can dominate this are and crush all its competitiors who will might for debt-funded expansion

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="if(of(jsCall)==''){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" ="">

Date Posted: 30/Oct/2010 at 5:53am
http://www.myiris.com/newsCentre/storyShow.php?fileR=20101023112301200&dir=2010/10/23&secID=livenews

what a ridiculous report! How can anyone give an estimate of change one rupee in the stock price?

-------------
First step towards learning is the realization that you do not know anything.

Posted By: UnuUnc
Date Posted: 03/Feb/2011 at 6:11pm
they gave a Time period of 1 year , so effectively they are saying that it is fully priced for 1 year.

Posted By: barla
Date Posted: 10/Feb/2011 at 4:02pm
Did samir arora pick the mid cap to sell or buy???????

Originally posted by joslinjose9

samir aroras midcap pick delta corp

Posted By: values
Date Posted: 10/Feb/2011 at 4:15pm
He didnt say buy or sell recently when he appeared on CNBC18 but he did say he won't touch it again in his life again...i dont wnt to infer anything from his comment but clearly he is not interested in this stock anymore...or atleast it looks like it... Wink

-------------
Knowledge is power!

Posted By: prabhakarkudva
Date Posted: 21/Apr/2011 at 11:49am
Samir Arora's investment checklist

The Process starts by identifying the most attractive sectors or themes to invest in the market and then populate 60% - 70% of the long portfolio with the best stocks from the “investment idea pool” in these sectors from a “bottom-up” stock selection process. The balance of the long portfolio may have investment merits without explicit positive industry view or special situations and opportunities like take-over, arbitrage and private placements.
A key element in the process is building the “investment idea pool”. The main criteria for this process include: (1) Size of opportunity or the market; (2) Relative position of company in the industry; (3) Competitive advantage in international context; (4) Management and Strategy; (5) Sustainability of self-funded growth; (6) Corporate Governance and history; (7) Transactions by insiders; (8) Catalysts – change in government policy, global trends, etc.; and (9) Valuations.

-------------
Take your chances and keep them in a box until a quieter time.

Posted By: manish_okhade
Date Posted: 06/Aug/2011 at 10:25pm
Kudva sir,

Above strategy looks old, India has experimented with all new sectors like"

1) Pvt banks vs PSU Banks -  HDFC Bank
2) Infra stocks - airconditioning stocks
3) IT Saga - INFY was the best pick for SA
4) Telecom opening up- SA made huge money in Bharati

But now the million dollar question is whats the new evolving theme? India has already been exposed to all possible themes and i disagree that consuption theme is a new one, i rank it as from start but identified now out of no better choice... 

Posted By: vixie
Date Posted: 15/Aug/2011 at 11:00pm
Dear Banastjee can you block this IP. It seems like chinese spammers / hackers are targetting the biggest investment resource of India!!

Date Posted: 17/Aug/2011 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by vixie

Dear Banastjee can you block this IP. It seems like chinese spammers / hackers are targetting the biggest investment resource of India!!

Thanks DOne.

-------------

Posted By: FutureBull
Date Posted: 17/Aug/2011 at 10:27pm
In an interview to ET Now he said following. Has anybody idea got an idea which sector/stocks he is talking about.

ET Now: To your mind which are few names which have slipped because of technical factors and now have potential to bounce back?

Samir Arora: Yes, many things have overreacted in midcap space. We have some companies which are now trading at four and three multiples. They pay full taxes. They have had growth for many years and many companies like that. Does that mean we are buying more? Once in a while we buy a little bit, but even we get unnerved when the falls are so serious. But whenever the market settles down, the rebound will be in the range of 100% to 200% in 12-15 months just because of the levels to which many stocks have been beaten, but most of them are slightly of centre, they are not normal stocks. So normal stocks, if they fall a lot, they mostly deserve it or they have not fallen because they are from certain sectors where they are not trading at 40 PE or whatever. But there are many collateral damaged stocks which at the first opportunity when the markets settle, when flows come, we and others will buy and also just in reality you cannot suppress some of these things for too long.

-------------
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.

Posted By: hemtan100
Date Posted: 26/Oct/2011 at 12:18pm
Samir Arora in his Samvat 2068 interview on CNBC tv 18 was noticeably despondent on the outlook for Indian markets ....
hope fellow teddies catch up with the interview today...there sure could be multiple re-runs today.

Posted By: subu76
Date Posted: 26/Oct/2011 at 1:13pm
Do you known when it's coming on TV?

Posted By: arthashastra
Date Posted: 31/Oct/2011 at 1:33pm
Sunil Singhania was talking(in samvat 2068 show I think on utv bloomberg) of fertilizer company with 800 cr profit and 4 PE. Is it GSFC?

Recentely Sanjoy recommneded GSFC on forbes India. 
Also, GSFC is continuosly making 52 week high (still PE of 4) which is big positive. They have very poor dividend payout ratio

Posted By: aadhirasharma
Date Posted: 04/Dec/2012 at 4:07pm
It is nice.

Posted By: sumitraepic
Date Posted: 24/Sep/2015 at 6:35pm
Guidance is really required for investment. If there is any person who suggest us right direction, then it helps us and improve our profit.

Posted By: Nichola1374i
Date Posted: 18/Apr/2016 at 5:32pm
Look for the Nike KD 8 “Suit” to arrive at select Nike retailers beginning on August 14th for $180.colorways, Let us know if you plan on picking up this Nike Kyrie 1 for $110 on February 26th and stay tuned for more images in the near future. 2015 is this Dark Emerald/Metallic Silver-Emerald Green edition of the Kyrie 1.
   during a concert in Indianapolis, Look for the Nike KD 8 “Suit” to arrive at select Nike retailers beginning on August 14th for $180. and to celebrate Amazon's 20th B-Day, Kevin Durant and Lebron James? and Durant has been a long time ambassador of the program.The next colorway of the Nike KD 8 releases in less than two weeks A lot of people were saying that they hope these are the next LeBron Zoom Soldier sneakers, http://www.nikerosherunonline.com/nike-cortez-nylon-shoes-7/ - Nike Cortez Nylon ,Chuck Posite “Iridescent. It just looks like a white?
After a long halt to the Air Pippen series, http://www.nikerosherunonline.com/nike-roshe-run-junior-mens-shoes-4_13/ - Nike Roshe Run Junior Mens ,The Air Jordan 6 has been getting a lot of love this year
Air Jordan 6 “Maroon”
Off-White/New Maroon
384664-116
October 2015
$220 Download the new KicksOnFire app (iOS) (Android) and stay up to date on all the news and release dates you need to know.
   Black accents on the Swoosh, http://www.nikerosherunonline.com/nike-roshe-run-suede-mens-shoes-5_26/ - Nike Roshe Run Suede Mens .

Posted By: farhanepic
Date Posted: 19/Apr/2016 at 4:13pm
What a reply we a re very lucky to hear your words and you have explained each and every point in a very convenient wayso that we would understand the market and trade accordingly and for more updates just go though the blogs of http://www.epicresearch.website - Epic Research .

-------------

Posted By: geena
Date Posted: 01/May/2016 at 11:15am
Hello,
I am very happy to be able to be a member of members of this forum.
Good day,
See you soon.
http://www.poorvanchalmedia.com - Rashifal,Live Hindi News

Posted By: farhanepic
Date Posted: 02/May/2016 at 6:02pm
Gold prices gain in Asia as investors weight China manufacturing data;  NYMEX crude down in Asia as regional business surveys mixed, Oil prices fall on rising OPEC crude production, Copper gains on strong euro area GDP; Guar gum output slumps with dip in crude oil exploration;  Govt ready to clear $6.5 bn of Iran's oil dues.
http://www.epicresearch.co/commodity-tips/mcx - MCX Tips

-------------

Print Page | Close Window