Print Page | Close Window

eClerx - A brand new KPO opportunity !!!

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios!
Forum Name: Emerging companies - Mid caps that can become large cap
Forum Discription: These are companies operating in growing markets having have certain niches or specific attributes like new sector plays. These are emerging multibaggers with high risks and high rewards.
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2281
Printed Date: 28/Apr/2024 at 9:00pm

Topic: eClerx - A brand new KPO opportunity !!!
Posted By: manish_okhade
Subject: eClerx - A brand new KPO opportunity !!!
Date Posted: 08/Aug/2009 at 11:37am
eClerx is the only listed company operating in the area of KPO. This is a new field unlike IT,ITES or BPO which is already crowded and lost its niche in the milieue.

KPO is targetted as 16-18 Billion US opportunity and approx 60-70% is going to be an outsource business to mainly india and other poor nations like China, Romania, Hungary etc. But here again India will have an edge due to following reasosn:

1) Proven model for IT,ITES or BPO - historical leverage
2) English speaking abundant manpower supply
3) Again there is no shortage of skilled manpower in diverse areas like
    medical, Legal, Marketing, analytics etc.
4) eClerx has 100% focus on KPO only, not tempting to enter into IT,ITES
    or BPO

Risks:

In KPO sector confidentiality and skill retention is the key. In IT,ITES or BPO secotr skill issues are mitigated to large extent by processes and tools but in KPO one needs a good doctor to analyse X-Rays , a sound legal knowldge for legal tasks and so on. So in one way such diversity of skill base is an issue.

eClerx is having following statistics:

CMP: 300
RoE: 36
Profit Margin: 30%
Div:  100%
Mkt Cap: 565Cr
Debt : Zero
PE: 9+

MCap/Sales FY09 : approx 2.5 - 3
Growth rate for last 2 yrs: 50%

If you have the horizone of 2-3 yrs then i expect eClerx to grow by 1000Cr.
Why you are waiting?

Replies:
Posted By: chimak10
Date Posted: 09/Aug/2009 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by manish_okhade

Why you are waiting?

For kulmanjee and smartcatjee's and rest of the pepole's seal of approval.

Sounds interseting very interseting.

Date Posted: 09/Aug/2009 at 12:40pm
Forgot to add one more risk.

Presently company is in nascent stage and bulk of its revenue comes from top 5 customers so client concetration is another risk.

Posted By: basant
Date Posted: 09/Aug/2009 at 12:51pm
What are the promoter's qualifications and experience? Any idea?

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Date Posted: 09/Aug/2009 at 1:01pm
Directors and mgmt team is mostly MBAs from US. Most striking thing which i observed is that in mgmt team there are many whites which is a smart move in such business to generate an excellent traction with customers. Check yourself at http://www.eclerx.com/directors.html - http://www.eclerx.com/directors.html .

Posted By: RahulB
Date Posted: 09/Aug/2009 at 2:19pm
Some points to consider:
 - KPO is a crowded market with a good mix of small and large players, Evalueserve, WNS, Exl, Genpact.  Most of the large software companies have KPO business units- Infosys, TCS, Wipro

- The business model is similar to Software Services companies - linear relationship between staff strength and sales; with limited margin expansion possibilities

- Large part of KPO revenues are driven by short terms project work (5-50 days), which results in big pressure on Utilisation. In software services companies most of the the project duration 1+ year and so this is not a big issue

- Biggest cost component is salaries, which once the economy recovers, will increase at 10-15%, while the billing rates will decline due to intense competition

- Given the confidentiality issue, several companies plan to setup their own captive units rather than outsourcing. Though they don't mind testing the concept through third party service providers

Date Posted: 09/Aug/2009 at 3:33pm
Some points to consider:
 - KPO is a crowded market with a good mix of small and large players, Evalueserve, WNS, Exl, Genpact.  Most of the large software companies have KPO business units- Infosys, TCS, Wipro

Evalueserve, WNS, Exl, Genpact are not listed. Infosys, TCS, Wipro do not have full focus on KPO.

- The business model is similar to Software Services companies - linear relationship between staff strength and sales; with limited margin expansion possibilities
Right its a service not a product!

- Large part of KPO revenues are driven by short terms project work (5-50 days), which results in big pressure on Utilisation. In software services companies most of the the project duration 1+ year and so this is not a big issue

May not be always, suppose a KPO unit tie up with a say some hospital then work flow will be continuous....

- Biggest cost component is salaries, which once the economy recovers, will increase at 10-15%, while the billing rates will decline due to intense competition
eClerx is playing smart here, while others a re laying off eClerx is hiring and getting best talent at low prise.

- Given the confidentiality issue, several companies plan to setup their own captive units rather than outsourcing. Though they don't mind testing the concept through third party service providers

Yes but still the size of opportunity is huge.

Posted By: kumardiwesh
Date Posted: 09/Aug/2009 at 4:19pm
The size of opportunity of huge and eClerx is free cash flow positive.
However, as Basantji once told me, currency risk is a major factor.

-------------
"History does not tell you the probability of future financial things happening" - Warren Buffett

Posted By: smartcat
Date Posted: 09/Aug/2009 at 4:47pm
I actually own a small quantity of eClerx - this little guy could become a big guy in the future.

Date Posted: 09/Aug/2009 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by kumardiwesh

The size of opportunity of huge and eClerx is free cash flow positive.
However, as Basantji once told me, currency risk is a major factor.

Business and risk always come togather. Thats why we look at mgmt, their sole purpose is to mitigate the risk and generate revenue even in adverse circumstances.

Posted By: subu76
Date Posted: 09/Aug/2009 at 10:50pm

deleted

Posted By: praveen
Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 1:58pm

[SNIP].....Evalueserve, WNS, Exl, Genpact are not listed. ......[SNIP]

All three are listed in the US and are much larger players compared to eClerx. Genpact ofcourse is the leader in this space.

-------------
The quest for knowledge is a never ending Journey

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by praveen

[SNIP].....Evalueserve, WNS, Exl, Genpact are not listed. ......[SNIP]

All three are listed in the US and are much larger players compared to eClerx. Genpact ofcourse is the leader in this space.

I love to invest in indian scrips only. Let me know if you see better competitor for eClerx in India. In fact this is the moat or investment theme. There is no single player in KPO exclusively Smile.

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 2:44pm

I love to invest in indian scrips only. Let me know if you see better competitor for eClerx in India. In fact this is the moat or investment theme. There is no single player in KPO exclusively Smile.

Points to ponder....

1. I assume most of the big boys (i.e. institutions), who generally drive the P/E expansion would rather invest with Genpact/WNS/EXL. It doesn't matter if these are listed in US, because for all practical purposes all the three are Indian companies.

2. Just a thought - Would you invest in a company listed on BSE just because none of the better industry players in terms of size/management quality/better pedigree are listed on BSE but rather NSE.

3. Well BPO and KPO are not discreet sets. Its more of a continuum and players like Genpact have a strong presence in the entire value chain. Also there is no moat as such for eClerx given the fact that for every worthwile project it has to compete against the likes of Genpact.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by praveen

Points to ponder....

1. I assume most of the big boys (i.e. institutions), who generally drive the P/E expansion would rather invest with Genpact/WNS/EXL. It doesn't matter if these are listed in US, because for all practical purposes all the three are Indian companies.

You are right here. My guess is that if eClerx clicks then big daddy would love to pet too. See #3 rational too.

2. Just a thought - Would you invest in a company listed on BSE just because none of the better industry players in terms of size/management quality/better pedigree are listed on BSE but rather NSE.

Never given such thought.

3. Well BPO and KPO are not discreet sets. Its more of a continuum and players like Genpact have a strong presence in the entire value chain. Also there is no moat as such for eClerx given the fact that for every worthwile project it has to compete against the likes of Genpact.

Yes, theres a competion but we can not join Genpact due to non-listing in India. Anyway there are still some small palyers who will find eClerx cheaper to go ahead. Opportunity is big 16-17 Billion USD so everyboday has enough to eat.

Posted By: prabhakarkudva
Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 6:39pm
Worth keeping an eye on,i guess.Need to find out what the management's plans are for growth and how they propose to increase/multiply sales.

-------------
Take your chances and keep them in a box until a quieter time.

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 6:49pm
Hi Prabhakar,

See, in India there is no company which has no competitor. No idea is unique as long as it's in service sector. There is no moat in service in terms of offering as services are again now considered as commodities, IT, ITES,BPO,KPO are commodities just like banking sector.

What we need to see whether all players have enough money to mint, its there in the case of eClerx as is evident from its annual growth rate. 250 Cr revenue is nothing considering the size of opportunity.

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 7:42pm
Absolutely.......there is no moat in most service companies....Atleast no moat that an outsider can detect by just reading annual reports and web search.

But hey, when there is space for everyone to grow for some time....so why complain........

Superior management will offcourse create superior returns.......

Posted By: FutureBull
Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 8:08pm
i can add one thing that there is a huge opportunity in KPO sector..i have seen this business closely and i have quite a few contacts in this field.. this type of business it to grow exponentially in times to come...BPO is a commodity business and margins will shrink after sometime as other countries like Philipinos, Mexico, East Europe etc will catch up..but KPO can't be judged like that..it requires huge industry domain expertise and takes time to build..Indians are very analytical by nature so it suits them in KPO..no other country can build army of Analysts like India where millions pass as graduates every yr...you should remember that it doesn't require English knowledge speaking skills for this one.. i mean not for all team members..I am particularly optimistic about KPO business in general ..next round of wave in outsourcing will start in this one..I somehow missed this company..

-------------
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 8:21pm
I don't think you've missed anything. The P/E is less than 10 and the dividend yield is 2.5%

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by FutureBull

BPO is a commodity business and margins will shrink after sometime as other countries like Philipinos, Mexico, East Europe etc will catch up..

Even on the BPO front....most Indian players will show up on these cheap locations to reap the benefits of cheaper labor.....like most MNCs are here. Already, most BPOs have offices in these places.

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 10:16pm
I was trying to state that their will be good amount of competition going forward..in BPO front ppl have ignored Africa which always gets preferential treatment in US and Europe for exports and entry barriers are very less...in KPO business client acquisition is difficult but once acquired and served well it pays in long term because the nature of work is often strategic..they command very high billing rates..Deloitte, McKinsey, Accenture all have KPO subsidiary in India.

Even on the BPO front....most Indian players will show up on these cheap locations to reap the benefits of cheaper labor.....like most MNCs are here. Already, most BPOs have offices in these places.
[/QUOTE]

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 10:21pm

i can add one thing that there is a huge opportunity in KPO sector..i have seen this business closely and i have quite a few contacts in this field.. this type of business it to grow exponentially in times to come.....I somehow missed this company..

Hi FutureBull,

Can you plz comment on eClerx on its potential based on your close knowledge of KPO sector?

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 10:29pm

There is really no comparison between BPO's and KPO's. eClerx has an operating profit margin of 40%. BPOs barely manage 10%.

The biggest difference between BPO and KPO is -  BPO operation is basically a 'cost center' for the company doing the outsourcing. However, KPO company like eClerx can actually increase the profits of the company doing the outsourcing. So eClerx is more like a 'partner' or a 'consulting firm'.

Example of how KPO can increase profits:

Let's say Amazon.com is a client of eClerx. Let's say, out of every 100 visits to amazon.com, there are an average of 5 purchases (sales). Now eClerx will analyze the visitor data and make suggestions. Eg: They could recommend that Amazon.com reduce the number of clicks required for checking out and making the credit card payment.

Once eclerx's suggestion is implemented, there could be 6 sales for every 100 visitors, thereby increasing the revenues of the company by 20%. This type of KPO operation is called "data analytics" or "web analytics".

No BPO can or will do this kind of stuff.

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 10:55pm
exactly i agree 100% that there is no comparison between KPO and BPO..i know KPOs who pay mind boggling salaries and also command 80-100% margin but they are unlisted and small enough... BPOs would eventually move into KPO but for a KPO there is no charm in going into BPO as that is a linear business.. that's what my friends in Genpact tell me. and precisely for that reason Genpact has forayed into KPO and consulting.. for a KPO to succeed you need quality data and being in Consulting industry myself i have seen desperate desire in clients (even Indian Ones!!!)to get some good process and IT system to see their business intelligence up and running particularly in volatile times like this..i have to research on capability of this company but it definitely looks good on first glance.. i will enter into this one after 100% confidence and may be some price correction if it happens..

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 11:01pm
FutureBull are there any listed KPOs in India besides this one?

Posted By: Hitesh Shah
Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 11:06pm
http://www.bpowatchindia.com/KPODemystified.html - Some background on KPO's. From this, I get the impression that staffing will be a major concern.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 11:23pm
All the work done in a KPO is documented and indexed in a searchable 'knowledgebase' (just like a search engine). Basically, all work activities will have a "process", and a well trained graduate with good logical/ analytical skills can carry out work in a KPO, with the help of these processes.

That's why eClerx's tagline is "Precise Processes, Passionate People"

I don't think India will have a shortage of people with logical and analytical skills anytime soon!

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by smartcat

I don't think India will have a shortage of people with logical and analytical skills anytime soon!

If you say so Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 11:30pm
thanks Hiteshji once again!i would add that i bought Geometric Soln. for precisely this reason..they are going to be big force in Manufacturing analytics..RJ had increased his stake in Geometric substantially. Tata Elexi(design & analysis services) has been reco. by Ramesh Damani for last 4 yrs now.. Prime Focus another RJ holding.. all of these fall into same theme may not be 100% compliant on KPO front but fit into overall Knowledge Process outsourcing theme..they have caught this trend long back it seems.

as far as challenges in staffing goes this is the real test of management strength..they have a lot to learn from Infy/Accenture/Google etc but smaller firms can retain better than bigger ones as they can offer stock Options which are lucrative when they are small and high flying MBAs and Engg. grads prefer these options from start up/small firms... one of my relative in Yahoo (top 5 rank in IIT) had started KPO too.. made good money in boom time but left due to differences between founders gave me good gyan on potential of KPOs.. Hiteshji has hit the nail on the head.. i saw a presentation on eClerx site to address this issue and that seems a reasonable and sensible approach to address talent crunch

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 11:43pm
Thanks Future Bull,

So its like more of mundane job with bit lower intelligence which big consultants like Mackinse, BCG refuce to do. If one believes in the talent of India the it looks this is the plce to grow in future.

So now i am more convinced that to buy something which is growing with 40-50% rate and PE of < 10, Even if pace slows down still Koi Nuksaan Nahi....Strong profit margin indicates that there is no billing pressure plus zero debt and high RoE and expansion plans afoot loike 2 deve centers and 2000+ manpower....Yummy.

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 11:20am

exactly i agree 100% that there is no comparison between KPO and BPO..i know KPOs who pay mind boggling salaries and also command 80-100% margin but they are unlisted and small enough... BPOs would eventually move into KPO but for a KPO there is no charm in going into BPO as that is a linear business.. that's what my friends in Genpact tell me. and precisely for that reason Genpact has forayed into KPO and consulting.. for a KPO to succeed you need quality data and being in Consulting industry myself i have seen desperate desire in clients (even Indian Ones!!!)to get some good process and IT system to see their business intelligence up and running particularly in volatile times like this..i have to research on capability of this company but it definitely looks good on first glance.. i will enter into this one after 100% confidence and may be some price correction if it happens..

Let’s look at it a little more closely...

An absolute simple/repetitive business process which can be done with very low application of intelligence when outsourced is called BPO (handling say costumer care process). And by the very definition a person doing that job won't be paid as much.

As and when you move up the complexity chain it becomes a KPO (i.e. outsourcing of a more critical process which requires more intelligence to do) and the pay-out for the company as well as its employees would improve. And at the top end of outsourcing curve best and brightest of people are recruited (IIT, IIM) and paid top salaries. BFSI examples of KPO would include.... equity research, Investment banking pitch books, Credit analysis, Mortgage processing etc..

Similarly KPO's would include things like manufacturing design outsourcing, Legal processes outsourcing, etc.

In fact in pharma industry the CR part of what we know as CRAM today is nothing but essentially a KPO

So each vertical in itself is quite niche whose growth is linked to the fortunes of that industry globally.

For a KPO to do well consistently it should be well diversified across 4-5 unrelated verticals, each having its own diverse set of clients. 

Some of the ones I remember which have recruited from IIMs in the past are Inductis (taken over by EXL), Irevna (bought over by CRISIL)

There are hundreds of other small ones out there not counting the large captive units.

It’s not surprising to see that most of these are privately held given the fact these are highly profitable businesses for now with low/no capital raising needs....

This brings me to questions which each one of eClerx investors need to ask

1. What was promoter's motive for the IPO? Was it a tilted towards primary issuance (new shares were created) or secondary issuance (management sold stake)?

2. Does eClerx have the management bandwidth to withstand the competition? (Genpact and EXL certainly has)

3. Does it have a sustainable leadership in a particular vertical? If yes why is it sustainable?  (On a overall size basis this is mid-tier company at best)

Note: - I have not studied eClerx in any detail just had a cursory glance at the financials. I have no particular bias for or against it.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 11:37am
It looks like that all those who are participating in this forum has one common concerns -

Will the mgmt of eClerx be able to grow it?

Apparantly the leadership is new and there is no way one can get any solid comfort here. When INFY was started at that time same apprehensions were raised about their leadership.

I am not telling that these concerns are not genuine but there is no way to find any supporting data. As a retail investor we can only glean through the websites and Ann Rep and it says leadership is educated enough.

eClerx is still in its nascent stage and road ahead is full of challenges but don't you see all these are getting reflected in the share price!

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 11:45am
Praveen, you do full justice to your tagline!

But I don't know what you know about EXL, WNS and Genpact - but these are truly crappy companies, to put it mildly. Poor margins, poor RoE's and poor wealth creators they have been for their shareholders.

eClerx's IPO money went to the company, not to the management - and it was mostly used to move some operations into a SEZ. There is a big paragraph and table in the latest annual report on this matter.

The other questions don't have answers yet - so that's why I would recommend holding only a small percentage of the portfolio in eClerx.

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2009 at 11:57am
praveen,

good points you raised. but i think in the services business what matters is how big is the pie?competitive advantages help only when the industry starts to mature and one company tries to snatch another company's market share cos of its competitive advantages.

In eclerx's case i think we should be more worried about how big is the pei and what eclerx is doing or going to do to get as big a share of it as possible.But like manish mentioned,we can only hope that the management does well and to that end as smartcat suggested since we are only "hoping" we should limit our purchases.

Having said that we are buying hope at a reasonable price and hence its justified.The downside is limited and upside is unlimited.Odds are in our favour and thats what investing is to me.One can never be sure about the final outcome but if the odds are in your favour you should do well with a few such stocks.

The only thing lost would be an oppurtunity cost to invest this money somewhere else but thats true with every investment in the markets and oppurtunity cost is generally apparent only in hindsight.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/Aug/2009 at 12:37pm

Praveen, you do full justice to your tagline!

Thanks for the compliment Smile

But I don't know what you know about EXL, WNS and Genpact - but these are truly crappy companies, to put it mildly. Poor margins, poor RoE's and poor wealth creators they have been for their shareholders.

I don't know a lot about EXL and WNS but I do know something about Genpact.

When GA partners and Oak hill bought the stakes in the company in Dec'04 then Genpact was valued at $ 800 MM (one can check wiki to verify). Currently it is valued at $ 2.71 Bn that is a 31% CAGR in 4.5 years. (However this needs to be adjusted downwards for dilution through the IPO proceeds) Certainly not bad for its owners considering the ongoing slowdown. 

Actually returns for GAP, OAK-H are much higher given that it was a LBO and the acquisition was mostly funded through debt.

Management is absolutely best in class thanks to GE heritage.  Think about these numbers when GE sold Genpact in '04 it was a GE captive unit with 91% revenues came from GE. In just 4 years GE accounts for only 30% of the revenues. No mean feat considering that the top line is itself growing at 25% -30%. Bottom-line has grown much faster.

Genpact ROE suffers on the count of goodwill on the books. I am sure when you adjust the numbers for that or look for return on TNW (tangible net worth) it would look a lot better.

I would suggest you go through its analyst meet presentations/Q&A session to better appreciate the management bandwidth.

I won't call Genpact crappy. On the contrary, it is an institution in making. In 5-10 years time it might be counted in the same league as WITCH companies.

Its another matter that investors would not make the same amount on money which they made on Wipro/Infy because its already a skimmed milk. GE, GA partners, Oak Hill has already extracted the best returns out of the company. But then same applies to TCS.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/Aug/2009 at 12:43pm
i think we should not question them untill they prove so..they have given good dividend isn't it a good sign? it shows that they are not greedy to hoard cash

-------------

Date Posted: 11/Aug/2009 at 12:49pm
If you look at the financial statistics then nothing points to -ve. Only negative i see is that proper branding is missing which hastens the investors. Unlike other small players i am not able to see any interviews of mgmt team online or in magezine.

In one way it's good that they are working silently.

Date Posted: 11/Aug/2009 at 4:09pm
seems teddies have jumped in ..don't do panic buying plz.. allow others to buy too

-------------

Date Posted: 11/Aug/2009 at 10:30am
block deal 6 lac shares in the morning..somebody is following TED it seems..up 10%

-------------

Date Posted: 11/Aug/2009 at 10:59am
Though I am not getting my commission/brokerage for recommendation Unhappy

Date Posted: 11/Aug/2009 at 11:52am

But nobody will lynch you if eClerx turns out to be a lemon either.

Date Posted: 12/Aug/2009 at 12:11pm

But nobody will lynch you if eClerx turns out to be a lemon either.

This is applicable to MF Mgr too but they never seem to be lynched. Only their successes are documented not failures.

-------------
-Manish

Posted By: deveshkayal
Date Posted: 12/Aug/2009 at 6:57pm
Sequoia Capital bought eClerx today @ 330. Excellent call Manish

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Date Posted: 12/Aug/2009 at 7:09pm
deveshji, who sold?

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Aug/2009 at 7:10pm
Excellent! Sequoia incubated/invested in Google, Yahoo, Cisco, Apple etc. 

This more or less takes care of management "bandlength" and bandwidth issues, although this is no guarantee that eClerx could become big.

Date Posted: 12/Aug/2009 at 7:14pm
http://stockmarkettoday.in/2009/08/12/sequoia-cap-buys-6-6-stake-in-eclerx-from-burwood-ventures/ - Sequoia Cap buys 6.6% stake in eClerx from Burwood Ventures

Date Posted: 12/Aug/2009 at 7:15pm
Deveshji - Thanks!

Though It's another excellent opportunity to enter!!!

Normally big deals happen in a stepped manner to avoid cost escallation due to big purchases in single shot. If my reading is correct then we can expect some more chunks of block purchases in next few days.

Posted By: s_praharaj
Date Posted: 13/Aug/2009 at 11:59pm
Manish is indeed right,
There is a bulk deal todat reported in NSE
Some Nambe Investment Holding has bought some 1293857 shares

-------------
Shashi Praharaj

Date Posted: 13/Aug/2009 at 10:54am
Originally posted by s_praharaj

Manish is indeed right,
There is a bulk deal todat reported in NSE
Some Nambe Investment Holding has bought some 1293857 shares

Lehman brothers was major customer of eClerx, its collpased is handled decently by eClerx. Now economy is reviving and Banking sector is a bread and butter of eClerx. FII expects now banks to do well so does eClerx hence this interest is visible.

Date Posted: 14/Aug/2009 at 12:48pm
Firstsource Solution seems to be the closest company having somehow similar profile (its BPO with flavour of KPO). When i started looking at it then i simply shocked at investors confidence. Find below the level of irrational exuberence:

Debt : 1300 Cr Debt/Equity = 1.5
PE ratio 82.91 12/08/09
EPS (Rs) 0.35 Mar, 09
Sales (Rs crore) 156.98 Jun, 09
Face Value (Rs) 10  
Net profit margin (%) 2.40 Mar, 09
Return on average equity 1.6 Mar, 09

NP is dwindling for past 3 year.

eClerx looks definilty ready for much higher evaluation!!!

Date Posted: 14/Aug/2009 at 12:58pm
Manish,
There seems to be something wrong.There TTM EPS is about Rs.2 and PE is around 15-16.Last year they booked some extraordinary losses and hence the loss is EPS.

They seem to be more or less valued the same as eclerx.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/Aug/2009 at 1:52pm
Consolidated EPS diluted is about 0.72

http://www.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/announcement/Firstsource_Solutions_Ltd_290409_Rst.pdf - http://www.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/announcement/Firstsource_Solutions_Ltd_290409_Rst.pdf

Date Posted: 14/Aug/2009 at 2:29pm
they had this huge foreign exchange loss last year due to which the yearly eps (diluted ) was 0.72 last year.

This June quarter's diluted EPS is 0.78.

No doubt e clerx is a better bet given its high'er' margin KPO business and lower debt and higer return on capital.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/Aug/2009 at 2:36pm
Hmm.........who ever has prepared this is an idiot.......can't they even put comma properly

They also booked huge gain on FCCB buybacks

Date Posted: 14/Aug/2009 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by prabhakarkudva

they had this huge foreign exchange loss last year due to which the yearly eps (diluted ) was 0.72 last year.

This June quarter's diluted EPS is 0.78.

No doubt e clerx is a better bet given its high'er' margin KPO business and lower debt and higer return on capital.

See, i gave FirstSource just for peer comparison and relative evaluation purpose. It's just to make the point tht eClerx is undervalued a lot.

Growth rate of 50+% and zero debt huge RoE and profit margin still its PE is close to 10 just because investors doubt the future. This is the bet one has to take!

Many things are still overlooked, for example eClerx is developing sound strategies to m itigate risks like they are investing in tools to isolate dependancy from specialist work (of course to some extent). They have a huge courseware online ready for a new comer to pick up. At least as of now not tempted to deviate from KPO or diworsifying.

Date Posted: 14/Aug/2009 at 3:16pm
Manish,

I agree.I actually hold eclerx(a small %age of my portfolio though).This is not a costly bet and i think even the dividend yield is decent at current prices.

Off topic,did u get a chance to look at brescon?That too is a bet which is quite cheap to play at current levels.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/Aug/2009 at 3:24pm
No i didn't look at brescon, can you plz share some info on this?

Date Posted: 14/Aug/2009 at 3:41pm
There is a thread on TED.

http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=699&KW=brescon

-------------

Posted By: neerajlulla
Date Posted: 14/Aug/2009 at 5:54pm
WAHEN WE CAN BUY THIS SHREA?

-------------
buy and forget for long term

Date Posted: 14/Aug/2009 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by neerajlulla

WAHEN WE CAN BUY THIS SHREA?

I guess on Monday morning at 10AM Big%20smile

Posted By: neerajlulla
Date Posted: 14/Aug/2009 at 6:17pm
price Wacko

-------------
buy and forget for long term

Date Posted: 14/Aug/2009 at 6:18pm
Shareholing of MFs:

ICICI Prudential Technology Fund - 9.62% (its next to INFY which is 55%)
ICICI Prudential Discovery Fund - 3.94% (in top 10 holding)
Principal Junior Cap Fund - NA

Date Posted: 14/Aug/2009 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by neerajlulla

price Wacko

If you believe that eClerx can grow with even moderate 20-25% for next 2-3 yrs then you will be buying at PE of 5 which is anyhow cheap for such growers. Its growing @50% for past few years.

You have to take your own call.

Date Posted: 14/Aug/2009 at 8:07pm
Manish,
do you think it will come down from current levels? all Midcap IT stocks are on fire..i took small exposure to average down further..but it has held up well.. have you studied it technically?

-------------

Date Posted: 14/Aug/2009 at 10:46am

Manish,
do you think it will come down from current levels? all Midcap IT stocks are on fire..i took small exposure to average down further..but it has held up well.. have you studied it technically?

If you are buying it for trade and not to invest then movement is unpredictable. It has gone up due to block purchase from Sequia Cap. If you ask me then it will move in tendem with market sentiments.

On the other hand if you are investing in this stock then you need to give some time to the eClerx. If you feel that eClerx has potential to become 1000Cr in next 2-3 yrs then buy right away! No need of averaging as after 2-3 yrs present prise look ridiculous.

I have given the comparison with the peer in this post which is doing quite poor but commanding a very very high evaluation so over a period of time if eClerx continue to grow then it will catch up the fancy of FIIs. Sequia beleives in value investment and they must be finding 330/- cheap and they must have invested with the aim of profiting with huge margin.

Today i read in ET that GE contract is expiring with Genpact for exclusivity ,such trends are opening a door to companies like eClerx. So now i guess i have answered your question.

Posted By: arunshah2k
Date Posted: 14/Aug/2009 at 11:26am
If you feel that eClerx has potential to become 1000Cr in next 2-3 yrs then buy right away!

Are you referring to revenues or marketcap?

In terms of revenues, it is difficult to digest. The current topline is around 200 crores. To go from 200 to 1000 crores in next 2-3 years seems a big ask.

Also, though not a proper benchmark, the company's current head count is around 2000. So to increase revenues 5 times in next 2-3 years , the company would atleast have to increase headcount by atleast 2 times. Again sees a big ask to me. I know there is no linear relationship between headcount and revenues.

Manish,

If you are buying it for trade and not to invest then movement is unpredictable. It has gone up due to block purchase from Sequia Cap. If you ask me then it will move in tendem with market sentiments.

On the other hand if you are investing in this stock then you need to give some time to the eClerx. If you feel that eClerx has potential to become 1000Cr in next 2-3 yrs then buy right away! No need of averaging as after 2-3 yrs present prise look ridiculous.

I have given the comparison with the peer in this post which is doing quite poor but commanding a very very high evaluation so over a period of time if eClerx continue to grow then it will catch up the fancy of FIIs. Sequia beleives in value investment and they must be finding 330/- cheap and they must have invested with the aim of profiting with huge margin.

Today i read in ET that GE contract is expiring with Genpact for exclusivity ,such trends are opening a door to companies like eClerx. So now i guess i have answered your question.

Date Posted: 14/Aug/2009 at 11:48am
Hi Arun,

Plz look at their ann rep, they have grown from 185 to 2k in headcount in 3-4 yrs.

I repeat again that you look beyond present dull F&A mkt situation, down the line when US fin mkt picks up then it will be a boomer for eClerx.

Rgds
Manish

Date Posted: 15/Aug/2009 at 12:14pm
Manish, Mcap is more than 600 cr already so i hope this is for revenue only..200cr to 1000cr would not be that easy in next 3 yrs.. i think that is achievable over 5 yrs..i think it deserves PE expansion and then grow in line with bottom line growth..I keep trading and investment portfolio always separate..eClerx can't be in trading portfolio(given trading vol and Profile of this co.)..i was exploring possibility to buy at lower levels if possible..it might not come!

-------------

Date Posted: 15/Aug/2009 at 12:22pm

Manish, Mcap is more than 600 cr already so i hope this is for revenue only..200cr to 1000cr would not be that easy in next 3 yrs.. i think that is achievable over 5 yrs..i think it deserves PE expansion and then grow in line with bottom line growth..I keep trading and investment portfolio always separate..eClerx can't be in trading portfolio(given trading vol and Profile of this co.)..i was exploring possibility to buy at lower levels if possible..it might not come!

You are getting the point. But would like to suggest that right now eClerx have got 5 F500 and total 20-25 customers. Just look at reasonable client acquisition rate of 4-5 more per year then scene changes drastically. In that case growing from 200Cr to 1000Cr should not be a big task.

Well time can only prove my hypothesis, ofcourse theres no guarantee.

Date Posted: 18/Aug/2009 at 7:41pm
Checkout this interview of Director, PD Mundhra.

He clearly indicates that the past rate of growth may not be suistained for FY10. So it does not seem likely the company can reach 1000 crore topline in next 2-3 years.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/mccode/news/article/news_article.php?autono=411478

Posted By: Ajith
Date Posted: 18/Aug/2009 at 9:16am
 eClerx is worth tracking closely.I love these little guys in the tech space though it is a dangerous game.

-------------
Ajith

Date Posted: 18/Aug/2009 at 11:47am
Originally posted by arunshah2k

Checkout this interview of Director, PD Mundhra.

He clearly indicates that the past rate of growth may not be suistained for FY10. So it does not seem likely the company can reach 1000 crore topline in next 2-3 years.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/mccode/news/article/news_article.php?autono=411478

He said growth in FY09 would not be like of prev yr i.e. 40%. I also agree with this as eClerx's future tied with revival of US economy. My guess says that we can expect to see some decison making by year end and greenshoots from Q4FY09-10.

If you look beyond FY09 the it seems difficult but possible.

Date Posted: 31/Aug/2009 at 1:00pm
eClerx was recommended on 08 Aug 09 @300. It zoomed to 380/- today, i wish its the value people are realizing or some sort of short term mirage Smile.

Date Posted: 31/Aug/2009 at 11:45pm
i think it was a good call...it became my core holding in outsourcing theme..never got convinced so fast..

-------------

Date Posted: 01/Sep/2009 at 10:21pm
 The PE seems low considering the addressable market ,management quality,track record.Looking ahead beyond a quarter or two,growth may accelerate and so I bought more.Any negative factors?

-------------
Ajith

Date Posted: 05/Sep/2009 at 8:54pm
eClerx is on FORBS Cover list

http://www.eclerx.com/about_eClerx_in_Forbes.htm - http://www.eclerx.com/about_eClerx_in_Forbes.htm

Date Posted: 05/Sep/2009 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Ajith

The PE seems low considering the addressable market ,management quality,track record.Looking ahead beyond a quarter or two,growth may accelerate and so I bought more.Any negative factors?

I guess the PE is low given the low growth expected in FY10. Markets  have already discounted the low growth. PE will expand as earnings growth gains in FY11.

This is a play on US economy reviving growth.

Date Posted: 06/Sep/2009 at 8:11am
arunshah2k,
 If PE contracts due to short term concerns only then it may possibly be a good buy.That may apply to any share.
 I will continue to hold my reasonable holding till higher growth materializes and PE expands.

-------------
Ajith

Posted By: photophobic111
Date Posted: 08/Sep/2009 at 8:31am
One related link regarding KPO:

http://www.chillibreeze.com/articles/top-KPO-companies.asp

Not sure how old is this though...

Posted By: nannu_68
Date Posted: 09/Sep/2009 at 8:16pm
Article was published in Dec 2006. One liner at the base of the article says so!!

-------------
nannu

Date Posted: 10/Oct/2009 at 12:06pm
it has got strong fundamentals.. with high ROE and strong balance sheet..i think PE re rating is due in next 1 yr

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Oct/2009 at 12:57pm
Volumes are very low though, so not sure if stock price surge can be sustained.

Q2 results will be need to be monitored for triggers.

Date Posted: 10/Oct/2009 at 10:02pm

Stock is surging and yesterday reached 406 , also got the divident of 10/- per share :-).

Date Posted: 29/Oct/2009 at 3:41pm
eClerx Q2-F10 is out. Its not very phenomenal but not bad either. It suffered a forex loss of 6.6 Cr otherwise it has a decent profit growth. OPM margin has improved a lot too.

Divident announcement of 7.5/share is bonanza. Last qtr they announced 10/- share already.

Date Posted: 29/Oct/2009 at 11:36pm
5% dividend yield in total in a span of less than six months!!

-------------

Posted By: deepinsight
Date Posted: 09/Nov/2009 at 2:59pm
http://www.vccircle.com/500/news/captives-india-is-honeymoon-over - http://www.vccircle.com/500/news/captives-india-is-honeymoon-over

http://www.vccircle.com/500/news/captives-india-is-honeymoon-over - Captives in India: Is the Honeymoon Over?

Save%20PDF-->
November 01 2009, 19:58:37 IST | MANOJ MADHUSUDAN,EVALUESERVE
Capacity addition by 3rd party service providers (‘Buy’) is likely to surpass additions by captives (‘Make’).

The recent announcement of UBS, a global financial services firm, selling its captive in India to Cognizant Technolgies is the latest in a series of such sell-offs. This only reiterates what Evalueserve had predicted way back in 2007 that the capacity addition by third-party service providers (‘Buy’ option) is likely to surpass additions by captives (‘Make’ option). After a study of about 100 captives of western companies in India, Evalueserve confirmed that a majority of these captives are in serious trouble. 

Sixty-one percent of the captives studied have faced significant issues, with many of them already shut down.  Smaller captives have been the worst hit; many of the larger ones are not in good shape either. 

Captives across all segments—Information Technology (IT), Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) and Knowledge Process Outsourcing (KPO)—have fared somewhat similarly.���Smaller captives ���Captives across all segments—Information Technology (IT), Business Process Outsourcing (BPO)

-------------
"Investing is simple, but not easy." - Warren Buffet

Date Posted: 09/Nov/2009 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by deepinsight

http://www.vccircle.com/500/news/captives-india-is-honeymoon-over - http://www.vccircle.com/500/news/captives-india-is-honeymoon-over

http://www.vccircle.com/500/news/captives-india-is-honeymoon-over - Captives in India: Is the Honeymoon Over?

Save%20PDF-->

What it means to eClerx operation (good or bad)? Can you plz explain.

Date Posted: 09/Nov/2009 at 9:48pm
clearly big positive for e-Clerx and it has started being reflected in the stock price

-------------

Date Posted: 09/Nov/2009 at 10:03pm

Originally posted by deepinsight

Save%20PDF-->

What it means to eClerx operation (good or bad)? Can you plz explain.

The article states for the companies(corporates)  its more diffcicult to run captive operations in India - means for companies like eclerx its a positive as more work is likely to be outsourced versus sourced through captive organizations in India.

-------------

Posted By: stocktin
Date Posted: 10/Nov/2009 at 12:49pm
My views:

(1) I run a captive unit with just 50 people, leave alone 500.
(2)We have more than doubled capacity in the last 19 months and also revenues.
(3)But this could possibly be considered an abberation. I would not like to generalise everything with the same paint brush. After all what matters most is the captive unit is a vendor and his future whether he likes it or not is linked to the business of the business provider. He does not have other customers. Very often, the principals ditch their plans not just for financial reasons but because they are not able to get the right people and meet their SLAs.
(4) It is human psychology to shut down outsourced operations at the first sign of trouble - big contradiction there, it is like trying to cut the branch you are sitting on at times - like Mr. Obama.
(5) So first look at what the business is like and who is trying to manage it. If the parent company tries to micro manage things by sending too many people to India, costs increase, and they do not necessarily understand local conditions best.
(6) I think home grown units get better managed, provided they are given a stable, robust process with ample support and rapport with the principal - which I very fortunately have. Most people will think us crazy to run such a small operation and yet we grow - not always smooth.

eClerx: Had many giant clients like the Lehman Brothers,Citigroup and possibly Morgan Stanley. SO eClerx IS NOT A CAPTIVE UNIT. To loose a major client like Lehman Brothers and survive is a plus. A captive unit would have gone the same way as the principal and immediately. Typically they hire young people to do financial research for their clients and use advantage of time. The research is done overnight, make reports,analyse and provide data, like most KPOs. They started in Mumbai with about 900 people have about 500 now in Pune. Their Pune operations at Hinjawdi has high capacity and they expect to double the number of employees within the next few months. Their biggest challenge came from January 2009 till May 2009 when Lehman brothers and others started collapsing. But business seems to be coming back in large numbers looking at the employment data. They are not good paymasters about the worst and have high employee attrition, though this does not seem to faze them. I think the two key indicators we need to watch (a) Their employee growth (b) The number and quality of their clients. I do not have figures for operating margins, but I think a lot has been built up in terms of building, space etc already. If you see their price movement it has gone up by about 90% since June. I am not in a position to judge how fairly priced/over priced they are. Can someone comment?

I hope this helps.

-------------
taggy

Posted By: basant
Date Posted: 10/Nov/2009 at 5:28am
Thanks for that industry insight.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Date Posted: 10/Nov/2009 at 8:05am
thanks Stockin for the inputs!!
it is available at 12-13 PE Fy10 earnings. High ROE and almost 100cr cash in balace sheet with MCap of 700cr.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Nov/2009 at 8:59am
Hi Stockin ,

IT Companies are measured on 3 parameters people, process and technology. Any guess how customer evaluates KPOs?

What eClerx should have to win new customers?

Eventually all depends on demand and i beleive if captive needs are strong golbally then sooner or later eClerx has to gorw. Visibly no listed competitor is available at the moment exclusively focussed on KPO only.

Posted By: amitdip
Date Posted: 10/Nov/2009 at 10:43am
My two cents. I think small players will have no long term edge and all major companies will be into it. Wipros 500+ FTE division is already into it. I have not gone through eClerx though

http://www.wipro.com/services/bpo/kpo.htm

Date Posted: 10/Nov/2009 at 10:49am
Originally posted by stocktin

..... Typically they hire young people to do financial research for their clients and use advantage of time. The research is done overnight, make reports,analyse and provide data, like most KPOs......
Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Nov/2009 at 11:01am
Stockin: Thanks for your comments and welcome to the discussion.

1. The fact that they have gone through a challenging period and come out of it is a positive. Is it because few of their other orders were of more longer nature? Since its still a small company they are still going to be exposed to the vagaries of market demand & many times one or two orders will make or break the quarter. Is there high risk of any nature on the customer side?

2. They have mentioned that they won 2 large orders against IT majors. Does this hint at better prospects over medium term? Any idea on what would be the terms, time line, average size, etc. of such contracts?

3. People: they have mentioned that they have hired on the mid management level (costs have gone up) & have also scaled their operations in Pune. Is this because they see visibility in client demand?

4. People: Is high turnover (sometimes reaching 25%) on the employee level an issue or a fact of life in this sector? I cannot imagine the business dynamics with such high turnover. Is this a threat to their business model or not an major issue?

5. Processes: How imbeded do they get on the customers business proceesses? how easy is it to extract value? For customers, can these processes get easily insourced again? How important is domain knowledge & experience in adding value in these processes?

6. Scaling the company: Can eclerx build on its two domains and move to any new areas/line of business? My guess is that it could take many quarters to build a team with experience in a new segment. How big is the present addressable market? How easy or difficult is it to build a new line/domain of business within KPO?

-------------

Date Posted: 11/Nov/2009 at 8:11pm
Dear Deep insight: I do not have any precise and immediate information for all your questions but I add:

Both Lehman Brothers and Citigroup were major clients then. Details I could gather for employee data is:

Nov'08: Mumbai 900, Pune 500, Bench: not available.

Oct'09: Mumbai 1600, Pune 700, Bench: 700.

(Bench is because attrition rate is 30-35%, quite normal for IT/ITeS industry, but it shows they have sufficient projects in hand to hire people and keep 21% on the bench! People may buy an office based on projections, but rarely start hiring in big numbers unless they have projects). They have 3 units in Mumbai and moved to a fourth one at Pune. They have been in operation for the past 7 years but the growth has been largely in the past 3 years. I can see them scaling up very easily. All you need is furnished office space, they seem to have the resources to hire, fire and train people at a short notice and also take care of attrition based on above figures.

Unfortunately, I do not have answers to the rest of you questions - at least not immediately. I do not have information on the management and its quality. Can anyone add to this?

Regards,

-------------
taggy

Date Posted: 11/Nov/2009 at 8:19pm
What type of application do they develop?
 How this development is different from BFSI/Insurance sector than KPO? Asking because my initial underastanding is KPO does not need Apps developemnt for customer though they can have their own for optimization of work.

Date Posted: 11/Nov/2009 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Hitesh Shah

Originally posted by stocktin

..... Typically they hire young people to do financial research for their clients and use advantage of time. The research is done overnight, make reports,analyse and provide data, like most KPOs......
Embarrassed

Its a relative term Sir! I am a firm 50+ Complete with grey hair and pot belly as my good friend Kulman will vouch for.

-------------
taggy

Print Page | Close Window