Print Page | Close Window

Indian Markets and the so called experts!

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Blog
Forum Name: Blogs
Forum Discription: Blogs
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2194
Printed Date: 27/Apr/2024 at 6:23pm

Topic: Indian Markets and the so called experts!
Posted By: basant
Subject: Indian Markets and the so called experts!
Date Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 6:35pm

We have learnt some tough lessons said the CEO of India’s largest private sector MF who had promised his unit holders growth with vision. Another voice notorious for his tandaav with the bears a Le Grand From Age if you might call him has turned his tail 180 degrees. He was a bear a big one and is now a bull a quick hurried harmless bull, who gives no guarantee of his species because he might become a bull one day, a bear the other and a dog or a Pig depending on which way the wind is blowing.

The Star anchor of India’s much talked about business channel who was sporting different T Shirts as the sensex moved past each 1000 point brigade is now changing course. Having become an self styled analyst he seems to be cautioning with random and useless double talk with his co-host and changes his colour before you thought that you were color blind. For major part of the October 2008- March 2009  he was cautioning his investors “Make no mistake markets can go down to six and a half or maybe seven ” were his favorite lines and had we been there he would have proclaimed five and a half and six all in an effort to let an investor remain irrational in irrational times. No wonder he leapt at a Singapore based Hedge fund manager who had the guts to call him a panic driven desperate gatekeeper of a theater which had caught fire. I wonder who is having the last laugh now.

Coming back to our fearless bear he had the courage to call Buffett lucky well if luck makes money and intellect loses it I’d rather be lucky then intelligent. Mr. Bear writes a report every few days. He is good at English and probably a student of Gynecology. In one of his reports he was doing a pregnancy test on the bull! He said that after checking the urine he is of the opinion that this is not a bull market and that a bull trap. Those reports do make for interesting reading especially if you are fond of brushing up your English.

Then there is another who sees to rhythm with the range. His ranges are as deep as the Grand Canyon. The last time he was talking about 8000 anmd 16,000 and he seems to have upped his higher band at 19,500. Well if that is what the Stanley’s and the Goldman’s pay for then I’d rather be an employee then an investor.

I think that there is no way to check the quality on the Idiot Box for whatever reason it is called one. Now no one can tell me that you should switch off the TV because that means that if there is murder going on in front of my house I should just move away from the window and pull the curtains.

Markets are not about making a day trader out of every participant. It is also about long term education and if that looks too charitable to these business channels then well, good luck to them because sooner or later they will have to go free to air for their free advice. But as the critics would say there is are no free lunches in the world.

There is some serious flaw in the way the business channels operate. Either they are too stupid to understand their drawback or either too much hand in glove with the participants to create a psychology that they seem to have desired.

It takes no magic wand to understand why certain people including the self proclaimed momentum trader and several others are put up as mascots time and again. I think the primary precondition to have your face on TV is your English speaking skills rather then your thinking ones. No wonder the best of the speakers get mud and dust on their face but that's ok as long as there is a market we will have opinions but to blow the trumpet every time there is an opinion and to expect the crowd to be the bunch of rats and the mascot to be the Pied Piper of Hamlin is something that the crowd will be able to decipher sooner rather then later.

But as Gustave Le Bon wrote his book “THE CROWD A study of the Popular mind” the most eminent men seldom surpass the standard of the most ordinary individuals. From the intellectual point of view an abyss might exist between a great mathematician and his boot maker but from the point of view of character the difference is most often slight or non existent.

Strangely making money in the markets is 65% character and 35% intellect.

Also see: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=213 - Letter from a bruised bull to the"expert"analyst.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Replies:
Posted By: hit2710
Date Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 7:04pm
I feel that the business news  channel are catering to the needs of the people. Having interacted with a lot of my friends who invest in the markets, I find there are mainly two kinds of people, passive investors who buy what you or someone else tells them and forget about them and these people are so busy with their professions that they don't have the time to look at the channels.

The other are active investors/traders who look at all the news channels and then go for investments based on what is recommended or follow some so called tips and buy stocks with lofty targets and end up bruised. If we tell such people to buy some fundamentally  good stock with say 1-2 year view they scoff at you . 

News channel people target the latter group who are amenable to recommendations and tips and bring various experts and nowadays they also play a game also where three analysts are pitted against each other in buying and selling stocks on a daily basis and performance is then analysed. God knows how fundamentals change within a day or two.

If news channel people were to air recommendations for long term investment I dont think they will have too many viewers because there is no thrill involved in long term investment. It is comparable to test matches and one day matches and nowadays  20-20 matches. It is very easy to find out which one is most popular.

-------------
Stockmarket is a weird place. For every person who buys a stock there is a person who sells it and both think they are very smart.

Posted By: kumardiwesh
Date Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 8:32pm
Business channels are selling a product, which may not necessarily be the best.
I think there is a huge difference in the perception of people when they are buying a financial product vis-a-vis when they are buying a consumer product.
People who appear on business channels are merely salesmen and not analysts.
They sell what people are willing to buy.

-------------
"History does not tell you the probability of future financial things happening" - Warren Buffett

Posted By: Janak.merchant1
Date Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by basant

We have learnt some tough lessons said the CEO of India’s largest private sector MF who had promised his unit holders growth with vision. Another voice notorious for his tandaav with the bears a Le Grand From Age if you might call him has turned his tail 180 degrees. He was a bear a big one and is now a bull a quick hurried harmless bull, who gives no guarantee of his species because he might become a bull one day, a bear the other and a dog or a Pig depending on which way the wind is blowing.

The Star anchor of India’s much talked about business channel who was sporting different T Shirts as the sensex moved past each 1000 point brigade is now changing course. Having become an self styled analyst he seems to be cautioning with random and useless double talk with his co-host and changes his colour before you thought that you were color blind. For major part of the October 2008- March 2009  he was cautioning his investors “Make no mistake markets can go down to six and a half or maybe seven ” were his favorite lines and had we been there he would have proclaimed five and a half and six all in an effort to let an investor remain irrational in irrational times. No wonder he leapt at a Singapore based Hedge fund manager who had the guts to call him a panic driven desperate gatekeeper of a theater which had caught fire. I wonder who is having the last laugh now.

Coming back to our fearless bear he had the courage to call Buffett lucky well if luck makes money and intellect loses it I’d rather be lucky then intelligent. Mr. Bear writes a report every few days. He is good at English and probably a student of Gynecology. In one of his reports he was doing a pregnancy test on the bull! He said that after checking the urine he is of the opinion that this is not a bull market and that a bull trap. Those reports do make for interesting reading especially if you are fond of brushing up your English.

Then there is another who sees to rhythm with the range. His ranges are as deep as the Grand Canyon. The last time he was talking about 8000 anmd 16,000 and he seems to have upped his higher band at 19,500. Well if that is what the Stanley’s and the Goldman’s pay for then I’d rather be an employee then an investor.

I think that there is no way to check the quality on the Idiot Box for whatever reason it is called one. Now no one can tell me that you should switch off the TV because that means that if there is murder going on in front of my house I should just move away from the window and pull the curtains.

Markets are not about making a day trader out of every participant. It is also about long term education and if that looks too charitable to these business channels then well, good luck to them because sooner or later they will have to go free to air for their free advice. But as the critics would say there is are no free lunches in the world.

There is some serious flaw in the way the business channels operate. Either they are too stupid to understand their drawback or either too much hand in glove with the participants to create a psychology that they seem to have desired.

It takes no magic wand to understand why certain people including the self proclaimed momentum trader and several others are put up as mascots time and again. I think the primary precondition to have your face on TV is your English speaking skills rather then your thinking ones. No wonder the best of the speakers get mud and dust on their face but that's ok as long as there is a market we will have opinions but to blow the trumpet every time there is an opinion and to expect the crowd to be the bunch of rats and the mascot to be the Pied Piper of Hamlin is something that the crowd will be able to decipher sooner rather then later.

But as Gustave Le Bon wrote his book “THE CROWD A study of the Popular mind” the most eminent men seldom surpass the standard of the most ordinary individuals. From the intellectual point of view an abyss might exist between a great mathematician and his boot maker but from the point of view of character the difference is most often slight or non existent.

Strangely making money in the markets is 65% character and 35% intellect.

Also see: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=213 -

ClapClapClapClapClap
ClapClapClapClap

-------------
I love my money, not my opinion. So i am ready and willing to change my opinion for the sake of protecting my money.

Posted By: prashantmohta
Date Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 9:17pm
It is very well written basant.

-------------

Posted By: kanagala
Date Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 10:09pm
Sir,
Well written one. It is same everywhere either developed or developing world. I spent some time recently watching CNBC. They invite some good guys to the show. But, they don't let them express their views.

-------------
While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.

Posted By: bharti
Date Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 12:26pm
Great writeup Sir.  I agree with all the points.  Although I am aware of this, but still there is something which keeps me glued to TV screen atleast for around 60 minutes everyday.  Perhaps there is never ending wait for some exciting news to come up.  They do manage to create the thrill.  Even though we know most of the talk is from short term trading perspective and majority of experts/analysts change color as per market trend - still it gives some satisfaction when a stock which we hold is recommended by anyone.  If in your home, no body else is interested in this area, business channels give you 'good' company.

Further , channels will show only what sells, what is the characterstic of the population?  Why was there no new Mutual Fund offer for around 8-10 months?  Why was there no IPO over the last 1 year?  long term investors are in super thin minority.

Is there any investor on this forum who does not have a connection to all the TV Channels? or have not watched any Business Channel say even once this year?

Posted By: paragdesai
Date Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 9:37am
I like the views of Gul Teckchandani. He never recommends any stock but always try to analyse macro factors. That's why he is not most visible face on Business Channels.  

-------------
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity ....

Posted By: prashantmohta
Date Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 9:49am
Though he is not good at stock picking but one thing I like about him that he doesnot time the market.

Posted By: Vivek Sukhani
Date Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 10:07am
Well, I have also seen big bulls getting horribly wrong. So, we can also single them out for some special treatment.

The thing is, rationality is a very scarce resource and not everyone is blessed with it. And the worst part is, those lucky ones who are blessed with it, dont share it.

By the way, other than Udayan, i dont see anyone worth listening to on CNBC. Those whos I used to like for their views, like Amit Dalal and Gul Tekchandani are nowhere to be seen on CNBC.

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Posted By: suyogagrawal
Date Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 10:59am
Basant ji,
Thankyou for putting your thoughts in words. I sometime back attended the CNBC conference on the budget expectations where i had a chance to meet Mr. Honey banana and the Pink Panther. Panther went on record saying that he burnt his fingers(or rather his claws and tail as well) trying to time the market. When someone  asked Mr. banana thay why were they sitting on 30-40% cash when stocks were at there lowest levels all he had to say is that "Boss, bad me kehna bahut asan hota hai, agar CITI bankrupt ho jata to sensex 3000 par aa jata"
All these people Mr. banana, Pink PAnther, Rhythm, Mukhallerjee all one single cartel and change their direction in that of the wind.

-------------
Difficulty is the excuse history never accepts...

Posted By: j2eeprofessiona
Date Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Vivek Sukhani

By the way, other than Udayan, i dont see anyone worth listening to on CNBC. Those whos I used to like for their views, like Amit Dalal and Gul Tekchandani are nowhere to be seen on CNBC.

I share the same views with addendum that other than CNBC, there's no other business channel which is even worth mentioning (though I have started liking UTVi business a bit)...I guess Gul Tekchandani is seen on his show on CNBC awaaz where is discusses stuff with SP Tulsian, and i really like that show for the honesty of his views....I also love listening to PN Vijay...he was the ONLY ONE who was stubbornly asking the viewers to start investing big time in March and guess what, thus far he has not been invited again on CNBC (hilarious isnt it).......I really like his study of the macro economic environment.....

Posted By: ashishbarot
Date Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 11:10am
Good stuff  basant sir, but every 3 people from 10 go with the advices from TV channels and land up with big losses. If at least a single person will change his mind by reading this topic i think our work is done.

-------------
You do not require an invitation to make profits.

Posted By: catcall
Date Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 11:32am
Basantji, this is why "successful" anchors need a political background, which would have trained them to "hedge their positions" . Note that Mitali holds a gold medal from Delhi University in Political Science, while Latha graduated in Economics and Politics and has a doctoral degree in Political Science

-------------
There are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate-when he can't afford it and when he can-Happy investing!

Posted By: gauravsinghal2
Date Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 11:39am
Well a very well analyzed article by Mr. Basant.

But I would say that we should look the other side also...

for instance, when sensex was at 17k, ridham desai in an interview told that I will start buyibg when it reaches 10k... 10k was unimaginable during the euphoria days even at sensex 17k. He clearly mentioned that it is a cyclical bear downturn for India also... No other person said so at that time. And within 6-8 month, sensex indeed broke 10k.

The Taandav performing 'Shankar' Sharma- in early 2008 itself started screaming- 'Sell and go home'. He might have announced it out of his wild imaginations, but it turned out to be correct at least. I remember reading him on moneycontrol 20 days before Lehman bankruptcy that atleast a big bank can go 'belly-up' in US, and this will wreck havoc in the world. All our Indian media was repeating that India will remain relatively insular from the world till that time. He only advised to remain away from the market. So at times he was correct also.

But yes the same 'super intelligent' Shankar Sharma lost his wisdom to his intelligence when he was made the God of the World by the media. Encouraged by his bear predictions' success, he became over enthuzed to completely lose touch with common sense. I remember reading one of his reports that predicted Unitech at 10 and DLF at 50, because they were essentially crap stocks!

On the other side we had RJ also getting completely shocked when nifty broke 3700 support, and went all the way to ~2250. Remember him clearly telling Namrata Brar- "I think market has already made a bottom last week (at 3700)". Went awfully wrong. Anyone!

And again he came back at 3000 to tell that the recovery is very near, remain fully invested and invest in highly risky stocks. This time again no one so clear like him, all others are expressing opinions about a 'range'.

I also remember Buffet also brushing the fears aside in initial phases, and then turning very cautious after Oct-2008.

So, my point is that every one has got right and wrong, at times.

Let me finish the story by reminding about Basant sir's post in March 2009-  http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1648&KW=time+load+aggressively&PN=1 - Indian Stocks – Time to aggressively load on! ,

and to quote,

"This bull market is very much alive and kicking and at the cost of putting my head out I would like to assume that we will see significantly higher levels before we get into an extended bear hug. This is as good a time to buy stocks."

-04 March 2008.

So again, every one can go right and wrong, at times.

Truly speaking only long term that market can be predicted!

And one already knows, 80% of the people coming to the channel come to predict what will happen the next day, and in that week. And essentially this cant be predicted- this can't be predicted!

Posted By: vishmitt
Date Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 12:20pm

Great piece, Basant !!! I couldn't have expressed my own thoughts in a better manner.

I think of all the people who come on TV, only RJ and VB make sense. Its not that they dont get it wrong sometimes, but their hit ratio is far better, and they let their mind control their emotions. I also trust their intentions. I havent followed SA extensively, but he always seems bullish to me.   

But I have some sympathy for some of these experts. The gatekeeper has to talk something all the time and thus has to focus on minute by minute movements. He cant just say - there was some usual buying or selling today, so shut your TV for the day - he will lose his job !! Similarly, unlucky sharma makes money by getting people to trade - so its better if everybody becomes a day trader and focuses on quarterly numbers and weekly stock movement.

I think the basic issue is that people expect these guys to make money for them - its not their job! Their job is to make money for themselves - and they are doing a great job at that by focusing on the short term, and wildly swinging between greed and fear. 

Anyways, while a Tendulkar will prefer Test over T20, a common TV spectator will undoubetly go for the latter !!    

Posted By: prabhakarkudva
Date Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 1:49pm
What these experts don't realize is markets are all about odds. We hardly see one of these guys talking about different scenarios that might pan out and then see whats the worst that might happen and whats the best that can happen and then take an intelligent call.

Its funny how they are so sure about whats going to happen.They all have great faith in their "expert" abilities but they don't really have any conviction about the economy/a stock.They don't  stick to their calls,they are too afraid cos they are not sure.Like any layman,they too are just guessing.

Faith is blind,Conviction is not.

We need more of the latter.

Posted By: tigershark
Date Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 4:14pm
a nice article by akash prakash on today 26-6-2009 business -standard on the importance of ROE in the prestnt context.

-------------
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things

Posted By: 9StockPortfolio
Date Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 4:38pm
nice article Basantji

-------------
Pursuit of Value

Posted By: praveen
Date Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 4:41pm
It would be naive to think that these people walk the talk. Someone who appears a bull on the Idiot box may be actually selling bigtime and vice-versa.

Kahete hain na "Dekhave par mat jao, apni akal lagao"

BTW an excellently written piece. Enjoyed reading it LOL

-------------
The quest for knowledge is a never ending Journey

Posted By: rajeshn07
Date Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 4:56pm
Very well said sir. The mentioned MF chief (?) and the anchor are worst than a sucker trader.  At 8k, he says he is having 20k crores of money and waiting to invest & at 15 k he says he wants to invest and launches one more NFO.
One cant be more stupid than this.
Nothing to mentioned about the anchor - he just another useless guy, playing with TV viewers' portfolio/money.

Poor investors and traders who are putting their money watching them.

Posted By: chimak10
Date Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 4:59pm
Good article Sirjee

I only like RJ's talk.

Posted By: suyogagrawal
Date Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 5:42pm
I totally agree with chimak. Infact i had been following all of RJ's interviews in ant news channel or newspapers and i find most consistency in whatever he says. Rest all are like a leaf floating in the water, changing their direction along with the flow. All these people have formed a group, each one benefitting from other. The TV channel presents them as a demi god. I would never invest in the mentioned MF even if they promise me stars. I think its high time that we should come forward in exposing these self acclaimed gurus. People will gain much more if they follow this forum rather then listening to these bised people

Posted By: FutureBull
Date Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 6:12pm
Great article Basantji...eye opener for some!!
the fact is nobody can predict short term movements..but everyone will accept that there has always been interest to know short term and medium term movements..so one side there is demand and other side ever increasing competition in business media keeps them churning out something to retain eyeba*ls..but it definitely hurts who can't think much of their own and take decisions based on so called "calls" & "recos".. i have seen ppl making upto 25k/day based on these crappy recos. consistently. obviously they r day traders.. but the prob. is they can't even think of long term and so it serves them..we have ppl who keep listening to them and take trading decisions..

-------------
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.

Date Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 6:51pm
why should pepole be worried if they can consistently make 25k/day!!!......

Posted By: FutureBull
Date Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 7:02pm
bcz they don't do what they are best for i.e. trading and keep a portfolio too for "long term" and make heavy notional losses on them..looks ironic but true.. which reinforces their belief in trading and keeping short term view..

-------------
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.

Posted By: vsb2pwn
Date Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 8:26pm
Dear Basant Ji,

Though I am new to  The Equity Desk yet I read previous posts with avid interest. The thoughts expressed in these posts were quite thought provoking. The beauty of such thoughts in different forums, lies in the fact that you do not have to subscribe to the views expressed. On the contrary, it gives you a wonderful prospective from another man's point of view. At times this enables you to analyse and weigh your own viewpoint.

I relish these thought expressed in these forums as much as I relish the signature thoughts of various contributers.

" Euphoria " is what markets are all about. Have we sincerly pondered over a single point. What Drives The Market?

Every Investor does his homework on fundamentals/technicals and what not before entering the market and every investor gets carried over by the market euphoria once in awhile.

I am in equity invesing since pre- Harsad Mehta days. No electronic trading, No live TV channels and all that we used to rely upon was a telex of BSE  opening rates that used to reach Chandigarh around 11:30 AM. And then the markets europhia used to start. Number of times I also used to get carried over and did speculate. This was despite an excellent advise from a fellow investor "Losses are only when you speculate, But if you have analysed your shares well, there may be loss of profit but no loss."

I still get carried by this kinetic energy called market euphoria. That's the reason I trade from my home, Where I am seculded from any external force acting on my insight.

Having said that, still I want this euphoria to continue in traders, investors, market pundits, media and general public. Because their euphoria may even touch my counter.

I particularly liked your post on Pantaloon. I hope you remember as part of your homework on that counter your intraction with Taxi Driver, Ladies of the house and standing and watching people stepping in westend versus those stepping in Pantaloon did make sense. But all the same you wanted everyone to be euphoratic about this company that you had had anlysed and rightly predicted the future.

These over enthusastic media guys were eqully responsible to take share of Satyam to 22/- . Please  try to recollect the day after Raju's disclosure what all was being harped on every news channel. Today they are all bullish on this counter because of 20 Billion Unique ID project. They according to me are there for just "BREAKING NEWS"

How many of my esteemed friends on this forum really believe in the Breaking News segment {which is almost around the clock} on INDIA TV.
Yesterday they were predicting end Of Kalyug and the World On December 25th 2012.

Should I believe this or just walk merrily around my daily chores and let somebody else get euphoratic or even insane about it.

Excuse If you find my thoughts not in line with any contributer, but all the same these are my thoughts!!!!!

Posted By: romanov
Date Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 10:03pm
Smile...Basant Sir you have opened up a Pandora's box.

My own two cents to this: TV channels and analyst are there to sensationalize the news so that there viewer ratings can be increased.Most of us(atleast I can speak for myself) who invest in  the Market have no way of doing Ground intensive research to evaluate a stock/or Business.

Ofcourse,we all try to do a little bit of research and groundwork before buying stocks,but I don't think that is ever enough.Everything can be manipulated -however I think the point that you are trying to make is "Rationalism".

I think the aforementioned topic should have been more focussed on "Who to Trust/What to trust/How to rationalize" --that could have helped the members more. 

This is generally what happens Wink:

1) Read Warren Buffet on his general outlook of the economy and investing in equity market.
There are so many others with varied opinions,it does not make sense listening those international analysts .

2) Read/Listen RJ for indian market on his general outlook of the Indian economy.
I trust him for two reasons,one his long term view is always that of Optimism and second he does not need to prove his point atleast on channels-so most of the time he speaks his mind out. 

3) Get motivatedBig%20smile-hope to become as rich as they are.

4) Come to TED,there are so many stocks that we have discussed in and out.Try to see which one are the most popular.Geek

e.g.:
AxisBank
Titan
Pantaloon
HDFC(Safer bet)
Voltas  etc,etc:

Hidden Gem Geek...explore more of this-may be you will find something that no one on TED has been able to do soSmile .Based on your risk appetite decide your equity allocation. (Smart Alecs-will never buy what is safe but will buy more risky stocks)

3) Go churn your Portfolio,allocate 70% of Money to stocks that are fundamentally good.Allocate 30% of the money to Stock that you think is your Luck star.

4) See your Stock price dropping as soon as you buy it.Confused
Reread 1 and 2,get motivated and swear to keep invested for Long term

5) Stock Prices drop some more.

6) Read/Listen to various Analysts for Fun,they can't differentiate 'A' from 'B'.Try to see what they say about your stock pick.
Get confused,get fearfull and sell out Stock that you picked above.

6) See the Price of stocks going up as soon as you sell it.
Rebuy them at higher price and swear never to hear the Jokers on TV again.

And the cycle repeats.

Motto:

To become exceptionaly rich(Triple Money-I won't guarantee more than thatLOL),Buy Fundamentally good and safe Stock when the market goes to 11,000 it may go down to 7,000 but you never know.

Hold it and don't loose conviction even if the entire Industry of Analysts starts screaming Sell-Sell.

Wait for a year Market starts moving up.Market crosses 12,000 don't buy now even if all the Analysts start shouting Buy-Buy and don't sell now even if all the Analysts start advisng to Book Profit. STAY PUT

Market reaches 24-26000 -Sell %age of your equity now and book Profits now if you have need for Money.Even if all the Analysts say Market will touch 30k.It may touch but you never know.

Wait for next cycle.

Happy TEDing.

-------------
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good results.

Posted By: DRMADHUPV
Date Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 10:09pm
great eloquence and lovely disdain towards a shameful way of living
all my gains till date are due to analysis and TED helps alot u guys r so selfless i admire u lot

thanx
drmadhu

-------------

Posted By: deveshkayal
Date Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 10:16pm
There are those who have learnt from their experience in the markets (RJ,VB,SA) and there are those who haven't inspite of being in the markets from more than 10 years (UM,SS,RD)...

One should also look out for Sanjiv Duggal's view on the markets. He is one of the best fund manager according to me.

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Date Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 10:45pm

Basant Ji,

If ever I buy a media stock, the dominating factor as always is revenue earnings. Media Companies earn their revenues from corporate world by way of advertisements. Time tested formula to gauge a new public offering is to see aggressive advertising by a particular company. Some old timers always feel that any company doing aggresive corporate advertising campaign has always something up its sleeve- a initial public offering- a rights issue- a acquisition a merger or something else.

If a corporate entity is being regularly featured in talk shows on all channels that means  that company wants to put their message accross directly or indirectly. Is it not the same as you find leaders of all political parties in studios of every broadcaster during election time.

Posted By: studentoflife
Date Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 7:13am
But one thing is sure ,it is this kind of corrupt behaviour which helps value investors earn a lot of money.People focus on momentum stock and let us get value stocks cheaply.

Posted By: gauravsinghal2
Date Posted: 27/Jun/2009 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by gauravsinghal2

Let me finish the story by reminding about Basant sir's post in March 2009 http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1648&KW=time+load+aggressively&PN=1 - Indian Stocks – - Time to - aggressively - load on! ,

and to quote,

"This bull market is very much alive and kicking and at the cost of putting my head out I would like to assume that we will see significantly higher levels before we get into an extended bear hug. This is as good a time to buy stocks."

-04 March 2008.

So again, every one can go right and wrong, at times.

Erratum: By mistake 'March 2008' has been written as 'March 2009' in my comment!

Date Posted: 27/Jun/2009 at 9:15pm
Shanker Babu's Comment

When I talk to folks and I tell them that you should go out and buy all these rubbish companies and they say what has happened to you? What are you saying? And I say, yes, you have to lose it if you have to make money in this market because if you had bought NTPC over Reliance Power, you were the biggest fool in the world. You have to go out there and buy companies which have greater promise of the future but less promise in the present and that is the trade we are on. When you are on a trade like that, you have to be fearful.

I am not a kid out of school who starts to believe the the goodness of markets is to make everybody rich. It is not my perspective on markets. The markets are meant to make everybody poor and only a small percentage rich. I want to belong to that small percentage. Hopefully my clients also want to belong there as well.

Do Not He Says Hopefully ....what kind of doped client this guy have

He Talks So Nice with so much confidance makes you belive that he knows what he talks about.....and Also Writes Very Well.......if he writes some ficition novel........he shall do very well. Maybe acting will also suit him.

Posted By: omshivaya
Date Posted: 27/Jun/2009 at 9:30pm
Basant sir,

Excellent writeup as always. Enjoyed every bit of it...as always !!LOL (Sorry for the late post)

-------------
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it

Date Posted: 27/Jun/2009 at 12:52pm
He was a bear a big one and is now a bull a quick hurried harmless bull, who gives no guarantee of his species because he might become a bull one day, a bear the other.

Basant Ji,

I wanted to start a new topic inspired by your write-up, but either my ISP or your forum rules prohibit  me to start a new thread.
All the same, I use your blog to pose a question, which needs less answers but more intropection.
Am I A Bull Or A Bear?

All through my flings with Madame Equity Market, I have been fearful bull, confident bull, hurried bull, fearful bear, harried bear, confident bear and every thing the dictionary has to say about investors in equity market. ( Am I sounding like a commercial on CNBC).
My reson to call Equity market "Madame" is based on my innermost personal experience that the Madame Market is more unpredictable then a nagging wife.( wonder what Hitesh Shah ji may comment)
Coming back to point, we all are at times bullish or bearish as per our prospective, regardless of market being bullish or bearish.
I, for myself say, is always bullish in a bear atttacked market, and a fearful bear during bullish sessions.
It certainly is personal perogative of every individual to see things from his point of view. I recall having read as a teenager the following:
"Two men saw out of a prison cell, one saw the mud, other the stars.
This also reminds me of a signature thought--- two men intracted in abusiness deal , one sold , other bought and both went home contended they have made a smart deal. ( Excuse -I know my words are not ditto, but essence is somewhat same.)
How many of us can introinspect
Am I A Bull Or A Bear?.

Amswers make much more sense if we do not have any definite answer.

These are my thoughts and everyone has free will to differ.

I have started enjoying this desk. KUDOS to you

Date Posted: 28/Jun/2009 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by rajeshn07

Very well said sir. The mentioned MF chief (?) and the anchor are worst than a sucker trader.  At 8k, he says he is having 20k crores of money and waiting to invest & at 15 k he says he wants to invest and launches one more NFO.
One cant be more stupid than this.
Nothing to mentioned about the anchor - he just another useless guy, playing with TV viewers' portfolio/money.

Poor investors and traders who are putting their money watching them.

They raised close to Rs 2,000 crores well, if increasing the corpus was the objective then that has been met.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: PKB2000
Date Posted: 28/Jun/2009 at 9:54pm

Market and media have something in common

Both of them are unpredictable in nature and there are experts in them.

They excite the people.

Media and experts can not control market and market can not keep them aside. Partly they are complementary to each other

People in market are in market and directly and indirectly they are in media too.

People can not avoid media because that is the source of knowledge. In that respect I consider TV to internet through news paper as the media of the people.

Media and market are made by the people but the question remains how far are they for the people! Probably the answer is unknown and the effect on people is absolutely person specific. But I think that the influence of media and the experts in market gradually decrease as long as people become more experienced in the market that of course take a little longer term (at least a few years.)

-------------
I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

Posted By: raj261178
Date Posted: 28/Jun/2009 at 11:03pm
I like udayan and sankar sharma much more than Rakesh jun.. and samir arora.We need analysts who can change with market and not people who are static in their ideas.
i feel sankar sharma was correct from beginning of 2008 and even now this guy changes with time. (from fearless bear to fearful bear to fearful bull) - he was the one who predicted 18000 when sensex was at 10k somewhere in jan 2009.
    Analysts also like us will go wrong. Udayan even though has gone wrong big time when it mattered in march 2009, provided good account of himself in full 2008 and he is a hit among most of the small time investors for his sincerity and will always have ear full for udayan.  Samir was caught napping full of 2008 and same was the case with RJ also who predicted bull run lot of times.
Still we are not sure who has finally won as market can move past 16000 or it can again come back to 10000.  Anyway kudos to people who have to take a strong stance and then chage views based on market, because this chameleon nature is something not everybody is accustomed to.

Posted By: PKB2000
Date Posted: 28/Jun/2009 at 1:45am
Originally posted by raj261178

I like udayan ------ Udayan even though has gone wrong big time when it mattered in march 2009, provided good account of himself in full 2008 and he is a hit among most of the small time investors for his sincerity and will always have ear full for udayan.  --------.

I could not rememember well what Udayan told in March 2009. I think he remained very optimistic and positive since February end 2009 about market. Word of caution in between is required and exactly Udyan did the same in March 2009. Probably that may help the investor to keep some money aside as they say CASH is always king.
But I overwhelmingly accept the performance of Udayan and agreed on what is said in above.
At the same time I have noticed few other channels also gave positive feedback time to time especially UTVi.l I remain invested (Smile) mostly  in watching CNBC TV18 (most of the time in my daily life).

-------------
I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

Date Posted: 28/Jun/2009 at 10:41am
Originally posted by raj261178

I like udayan and sankar sharma much more than Rakesh jun.. and samir arora.We need analysts who can change with market and not people who are static in their ideas.
i feel sankar sharma was correct from beginning of 2008 and even now this guy changes with time.

RJ turned bear in late oct 2007............from there onwards he was very cautious........never in between 2003-2007..........he turned cautious. ...........................I say what a predicition on the markets sir..........what a prediction.

Shanker sharma........what can i say.......it's better not to talk about him........less you talk about him its better.

Posted By: sonthaliarahul
Date Posted: 30/Jun/2009 at 2:21pm
I strongly believe that CNBC and its so called experts are doing only one thing and that is to trap the retail investors... They always create a Euphoria which makes poor retaler believe that he is a fool if he is not investing in markets..

A newly started game show is a perfect example for this. At 11 a.m ashwani gujral states that my recomendation is buy HDIL at 251 and at that time HDIL is 265 and TV shows a profit of some 5.5%, THIS IS BIGGEST CRAP I HAVE EVER SEEN and on top of that the idiot says that he will make people watch CNBC unmuted... LOL

I have numerous such examples... will discuss some later..

-------------

Date Posted: 30/Jun/2009 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by sonthaliarahul

A newly started game show is a perfect example for this. At 11 a.m ashwani gujral states that my recomendation is buy HDIL at 251 and at that time HDIL is 265 and TV shows a profit of some 5.5%, THIS IS BIGGEST CRAP I HAVE EVER SEEN and on top of that the idiot says that he will make people watch CNBC unmuted... LOL

I have numerous such examples... will discuss some later..

Actually, thats the second time they come. The first time they come is at 8:30 am in the morning and they talk about the same recommendations at 11 that they gave at 8:30 with change in SL etc....You can see this tomorrow morning at 8:30...

Posted By: somu0915
Date Posted: 30/Jun/2009 at 11:05pm
I am very fortunate not to have a TV and with these guys, I will never watch TV. I would rather watch movies/music rather then listen to these idiots..

Posted By: Jaishrikrishna
Date Posted: 30/Jun/2009 at 9:24am
I beleive there is always a bull market some where all the time, we just have to buy and home work not buy and hold.

Posted By: kanagala
Date Posted: 30/Jun/2009 at 10:18am
Why does first in business worldwide worry about what bloggers are writing.

http://zerohedge.blogspot.com/2009/06/dennis-lets-zero-hedge-have-it.html#disqus_thread - http://zerohedge.blogspot.com/2009/06/dennis-lets-zero-hedge-have-it.html#disqus_thread

-------------
While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.

Posted By: mihirs55
Date Posted: 02/Jul/2009 at 4:30pm
The TV channels mostly cater to day traders. They are also manipulated by big bulls to some extent.

However, some actual investors that speak out are quite rational in their analysis. We should ignore the daily analysts that go with the flow.

Date Posted: 25/Jul/2009 at 11:44pm
An argument with the so called experts!

http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=238&PID=112313#112313 - http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=238&PID=112313#112313

-------------

Date Posted: 25/Jul/2009 at 5:16am
Breaking News...........Breaking News...........Breaking News...........

In an exclusive scoop I have been able to lay hands on methodology of so called experts on media who run the US markets. According to reliable sources same methodology has been imported by some leading TV channels of India and with this new imported methodology the latest market prediction is being made. An insider on the condition of anonymity disclosed that recent Bull run in the market is due to forecasts given by media experts using this latest technolgical marvel methodology.

To Have A Discreet View Of This Methodology Please Click http://www.rattraders.com/methodology - Here.

Posted By: Hitesh Shah
Date Posted: 25/Jul/2009 at 9:36am
vsb2pwn: why should any sane person want to know the "new imported methodology" of TV gurus? Do they have a high success rate? Or are you just promoting a particular website? 

-------------

Posted By: rapidriser
Date Posted: 26/Jul/2009 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Hitesh Shah

vsb2pwn: why should any sane person want to know the "new imported methodology" of TV gurus? Do they have a high success rate? Or are you just promoting a particular website? 

Hitesh

Several experiments under controlled conditions have conclusively proved that chimps picking stocks by throwing darts can beat the returns achieved by market experts. The system recommended by vsb2pwn relies on the rat psycholgy instead of dart throwing chimps. I see no reason why rats can not beat chimps at stock picking and thus they should beat the market experts too.

Date Posted: 26/Jul/2009 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by rapidriser

Hitesh

Several experiments under controlled conditions have conclusively proved that chimps picking stocks by throwing darts can beat the returns achieved by market experts. The system recommended by vsb2pwn relies on the rat psycholgy instead of dart throwing chimps. I see no reason why rats can not beat chimps at stock picking and thus they should beat the market experts too.

I bow to your superior wisdom in the matter of the investing prowess of chimps & rats. You may also know that very senior TED member SmartCat jee had employed a chimp to beat the Nifty / Sensex / whatever but then has become strangely silent on the outcome.

-------------

Date Posted: 26/Jul/2009 at 10:46pm
Hitesh Ji,

Promoting a website is last thing on my mind untill and unless I earn some money, But I sure am concerned about the input methods money advisors use in respect to my money.

I wonder how many experts really throw their money behind their own predictions . Prehaps Basant Ji can answer that .......

Date Posted: 26/Jul/2009 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by vsb2pwn

Hitesh Ji,

Promoting a website is last thing on my mind untill and unless I earn some money, But I sure am concerned about the input methods money advisors use in respect to my money.

I wonder how many experts really throw their money behind their own predictions . Prehaps Basant Ji can answer that .......

Fair enough! Just the way you wrote it up gave me the (wrong) impression that it was promotional Embarrassed. We've been having quite a few of those recently. Anyway, Rapidriser ji has given a two thumbs up to rats over chimps and market experts Wink.  Dr. Doolittle can make a killing in the stock market ....

-------------

Date Posted: 26/Jul/2009 at 8:14am
Thanks Hitesh Ji,

Of course, you are right that my writing style was quite dramatic.

But that was on purpose . I incorporated the Breaking News Syndrome Of media im my post, where they make a mountain out of mole hill. And to top it often their Breaking News & Exclusive Reports are already on print media sites and soon enough on all channels, with each claiming to be first with that news.

In short my endavour was to gain some TRP for myself

Date Posted: 26/Jul/2009 at 8:45am
Originally posted by vsb2pwn

Thanks Hitesh Ji,

Of course, you are right that my writing style was quite dramatic.

But that was on purpose . I incorporated the Breaking News Syndrome Of media im my post, where they make a mountain out of mole hill. And to top it often their Breaking News & Exclusive Reports are already on print media sites and soon enough on all channels, with each claiming to be first with that news.

In short my endavour was to gain some TRP for myself

No problem! In these volatile days, some of us tend to get "jumpy" and nervous and look for motives even behind simple fun posts like I just did  Big%20smile

-------------

Posted By: smartcat
Date Posted: 27/Jul/2009 at 5:03pm
You may also know that very senior TED member SmartCat jee had employed a chimp to beat the Nifty / Sensex / whatever but then has become strangely silent on the outcome.

I got bored after some time, just like a chimp.

Date Posted: 30/Jul/2009 at 11:18pm
Stop the spamming bud...one more place today I saw someone else trying this stuff on some TED thread...kya sare group banake aayo ho kya?

-------------
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it

Date Posted: 30/Jul/2009 at 10:13am
Originally posted by omshivaya

Stop the spamming bud...one more place today I saw someone else trying this stuff on some TED thread...kya sare group banake aayo ho kya?

Omji, I had suggested that a new member should not be allowed to post for a few days after signing up. If you notice, many spammers sign up as members, do their spam stuff immediately and never return.

I presume that my suggestion is a useless one since it hasn't been accepted ConfusedCryConfusedOuch but then most of my life nobody listens to me so I'm not to blame for all the bad things going on in the world LOL LOL LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 31/Jul/2009 at 10:30am
No, it is a good suggestion Hitesh jee. I am sure someone somewhere has heard it. No fail-proof but it surely will add to the other deterrents. We cannot make it all SPAM-free obviously, but if we all keep a lookout for such stuff and immediately report it with the "Report" button, that will take care of a lot of Basant jee and Moderator's job. I 2nd your suggestion myself! :-)

-------------

Posted By: adityancs
Date Posted: 31/Jul/2009 at 11:58am
Dear sir, The opinion expressed is really wonderful - Adityan CS

Date Posted: 04/Aug/2009 at 11:47pm

Omji, I had suggested that a new member should not be allowed to post for a few days after signing up. If you notice, many spammers sign up as members, do their spam stuff immediately and never return.

Rightly said Hitesh Ji,

The very fact that we have a long list of members with 0 or 1-2 posts prooves the point. If we are worried that new member may not return to forum second time, if not allowed to post on his maiden visit, Let it be like this. But we should expire the accounts of inactive members and remove them from active member list.

Just a suggestion. Made here in continuity of spam bug though a seprate thread is there for suggestions.

Posted By: nannu_68
Date Posted: 06/Aug/2009 at 10:11pm
but there are lot of people like me who are learning a lot by just being avid readers! does that mean we will not qualify us as genuine members of TEDsCry

-------------
nannu

Date Posted: 06/Aug/2009 at 7:34am
Originally posted by nannu_68

but there are lot of people like me who are learning a lot by just being avid readers! does that mean we will not qualify us as genuine members of TEDsCry

nannu_68,

No way. in my suggestion, I suggested deactivation of inactive members,with that I meant, the members who register and log on their first visit and then never login again. My idea about whole thing was to remove the names of people who just login to spam.

You are always welcome to login and read /write posts. Embarrassed
Sorry, if you were unintentionally hurt.
Hug

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 08/Aug/2009 at 10:27am
Originally posted by basant

The Star anchor of India’s much talked about business channel who was sporting different T Shirts as the sensex moved past each 1000 point brigade is now changing course. Having become an self styled analyst he seems to be cautioning with random and useless double talk with his co-host and changes his colour before you thought that you were color blind. For major part of the October 2008- March 2009  he was cautioning his investors “Make no mistake markets can go down to six and a half or maybe seven ” were his favorite lines and had we been there he would have proclaimed five and a half and six all in an effort to let an investor remain irrational in irrational times.

Look at this drama when the market zoomed up post-election results.

These stunts should have been performed, if at all, in fact when the market was hitting newer lows during March'09.

http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1099&KW=bunty+udayan&PID=31735#31735 - Bunty (Mungerilal's son ) has some very strong comments about this self-styled icon....but it is not being posted keeping in view the dignity of the forum and in order not to hurt sentiments, if any.

-------------
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards

Date Posted: 08/Aug/2009 at 10:55am
Thank God. It was just the laptop!!! LOL

-------------

Posted By: BGKGURU
Date Posted: 08/Aug/2009 at 11:23am
Anyway Mitali was sitting next to him.

-------------
Respect the Markets and do MAKE mistakes, but see to it that you can afford to stay in the markets even after the mistake-RJ

Date Posted: 09/Aug/2009 at 6:23pm

Mitali Mukherjee
Mitali Mukherjee has been with CNBC-TV18 for 5 years. She leads the market coverage for the channel as News Editor, Markets. Mitali co anchors the prime time show Morning Call. She also anchors Business Lunch and India Market Wrap, a show that tracks the crucial closing hour of trade everyday. In the evening, she co anchors Markets Today a show that focuses on the stock market action of the day and analyses the outlook for markets and also anchors and produces CNBC-TV18's weekend show Classroom, aimed at increasing investor awareness about equity markets. Mitali holds a gold medal from Delhi University in Political Science. She is also a gold medalist from the Indian Institute of Mass Communication, in Television Journalism.

-------------

Posted By: rohit123
Date Posted: 27/Aug/2009 at 11:57pm
Basant Ji I am newbee I want to share my portfolio to get valuable insight of this group But I am not sure how to create new string

Posted By: Circuit
Date Posted: 07/Oct/2009 at 11:12am
Looks like RD is at work with his pair trade !!!

Long Aviation, Short Telecom

Date Posted: 07/Oct/2009 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Circuit

Looks like RD is at work with his pair trade !!!

Long Aviation, Short Telecom

I Do not think being long on aviation would be a good idea. Forget about his valuation argument, i strongly feel with better video conferencing facilities and IP telephony business travel would decrease substantially in the coming yrs...

Date Posted: 07/Oct/2009 at 11:57am
I wish I could have walked into the travel and Living channel of a 40 inch TV for a vacation as wellLOL

But aviation stocks have no valuation argument. Buffett bought Wells Fargo (5 PE stock) and Geico when they were trading at valuations where he thought the intrinsic value was more then the market cap. Where is the Intrinsic Value  in Aviation?

Wait for a 2000 point fall on the sensex and that will be the biggest test of sectors without earnings and loads of (increasing) debt.Smile

BTW on the Wells Fargo theme Axis Bank was a 5 PE stock in March!

-------------

Posted By: adultvish
Date Posted: 27/Nov/2009 at 9:25am
Basant ji
could this fall on 27 Nov may become the starter of the 2000 point fall which you have mentioned?
best wishes

Posted By: joslinjose9
Date Posted: 28/Nov/2009 at 3:59pm

Tim (TMFMmbop) and Nathan (TMFDoraemon) are co-advisors of Motley Fool Global Gains and, as part of their http://wiki.fool.com/Due_diligence - due diligence , have traveled to China, Mexico, Brazil, Chile, and Argentina. Next week, http://www.fool.com/shop/newsletters/25/ecap.htm?aid=3280&source=iggedilnk2552053 - they're off to India to visit with companies and investors and to get the perspective from the ground. Their itinerary includes visits with Educomp Solutions, Ranbaxy Labs, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories (NYSE: http://caps.fool.com/Ticker/RDY.aspx - RDY ), HDFC Bank (NYSE: http://caps.fool.com/Ticker/HDB.aspx - HDB ), Rediff.com (Nasdaq: http://caps.fool.com/Ticker/REDF.aspx - REDF ), Larsen & Toubro, Apollo Hospitals, and Sify Technologies (Nasdaq: http://caps.fool.com/Ticker/SIFY.aspx - SIFY ).

-------------
fear of lord is the beginning of wisdom

Posted By: master
Date Posted: 28/Dec/2009 at 9:05pm
Interview with Shahzad Madon of ICICI Pru - Link http://www.dnaindia.com/money/interview_beware-of-abhimanyu-stocks_1328130 - here

Found it kind of original in drawing analogies from Mahabharata, pickles and dialogue of old filmy villain Ajit .

-------------
Someone’s sitting in shade today because someone planted a tree long time ago.

Date Posted: 08/Jan/2010 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by sather

Fancy brokers adopting fancy names with tv and print adds they look like they are selling stocks on discount

fancy brokers ....like who ?

Posted By: deneb
Date Posted: 08/Jan/2010 at 1:02am
This  is my first post and hopefully I will offend no one in the process.I read RD chats. It gives ideas about midcap stocks and it is generally about investing rather than trading which is what I am intrested. Regards.

Posted By: tigershark
Date Posted: 20/Jan/2010 at 1:17pm
bunker burma of last local dadar to virar has the following to say---small investors in general dont make money from equities.retail investors should put only 10%of their money in equities.mkts will bounce back after post budget correction. http://www.business-standard.com - http://www.business-standard.com pg 10 sec 2 20-01-2010

-------------
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things

Posted By: Khan
Date Posted: 20/Jan/2010 at 3:18pm
This is the first thing I read this morning.. seems both of them (reporter as well) are confused between small investor and investor in small stocks. I don't see any relation.

-------------
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten

Date Posted: 20/Jan/2010 at 3:46pm

By small investor, I think he means the "height" of an investor. Perhaps his research revealed that investors below 5 feet 4 inches tall perform poorly in equities?

Date Posted: 20/Jan/2010 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by smartcat

By small investor, I think he means the "height" of an investor. Perhaps his research revealed that investors below 5 feet 4 inches tall perform poorly in equities?

Big%20smile

There are rumours that they've a ready reckoner table which indicates investor's returns v/s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index - BMI

Date Posted: 06/Feb/2010 at 2:11pm
Latest  Bonker Sharma interview

http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report_the-world-can-t-have-a-bull-run-in-commodities-shankar-sharma_1342994-all%20 - http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report_the-world-can-t-have-a-bull-run-in-commodities-shankar-sharma_1342994-all

He likes 5point someone and reads only DNA money. Now I know why the film was named 3 "idiots".

Regards

Date Posted: 06/Feb/2010 at 2:12pm
Sorry this is the Link

http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report_the-world-can-t-have-a-bull-run-in-commodities-shankar-sharma_1342994-all - http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report_the-world-can-t-have-a-bull-run-in-commodities-shankar-sharma_1342994-all

Posted By: freddie
Date Posted: 08/Feb/2010 at 6:38pm
Interesting read.. deneb..

Posted By: Janak.merchant1
Date Posted: 09/Feb/2010 at 5:41pm

Hi Smartcat,

I am exactly 5 feet 4 inches. Thanks God. WinkSmileLOL.

< ="Content-" content="text/; charset=utf-8">< name="ProgId" content="Word.">< name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10">< name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><>

The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But, unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.

Koi exeprt ka sunke koi rich nahi hua. What do u say?

JM

-------------
I love my money, not my opinion. So i am ready and willing to change my opinion for the sake of protecting my money.

Date Posted: 09/Feb/2010 at 11:02am
I'm 6 feet 1 inch. The only advantage I have over you is -> When we are walking side by side, I'll be the first one to know if it is raining Big%20smile

Posted By: pawankumar
Date Posted: 16/Feb/2010 at 12:29pm
yes people you are right.
the expert comments more or less are market driven and highly influenced by big corporations.

Posted By: charchilp
Date Posted: 08/Apr/2010 at 4:58pm
conatct samir arora

-------------
http://www.capital-office.co.uk - Virtual Office London

Date Posted: 18/Apr/2010 at 11:31am

I'm 6 feet 1 inch. The only advantage I have over you is -> When we are walking side by side, I'll be the first one to know if it is raining Big%20smile

LOL  LOL  LOL ... good one... Clap cant stop laughing...
LOL

Posted By: aloksahi1971
Date Posted: 19/Apr/2010 at 10:54am
Investing I have a question :
 a. Is it only about numbers???
 b. Is it about the economy or

C. All ABOUT INVESTOR PSCHYCOLOGY ???
 What is the role of the last one to all investment decisions???

-------------
Born To Golf forced to work.

Posted By: Khan
Date Posted: 19/Apr/2010 at 11:41am
Originally posted by aloksahi1971

Investing I have a question :
 a. Is it only about numbers???

b. Is it about the economy or

C. All ABOUT INVESTOR PSCHYCOLOGY ???

What is the role of the last one to all investment decisions???

Investing decisions should consider all 3 factors, fundamental performance, economy and behavioural.
What you call investor psychology is the behavioural aspect and the most common mistake we do is to hold on to the losses and book the profits. While we should actually be doing the opposite, i.e. book losses and hold on to your gainers.

-------------
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten

Date Posted: 20/Apr/2010 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Aaru

I have been wrong 20% of the time. During the same interview with CNBC I indicated the market will start softening from febeuay 5th

r u quoting someone or u talking about urself ??/

Posted By: bhowman
Date Posted: 20/Apr/2010 at 2:23pm
It is not numbers and economy but how you react to these numbers and economy that matters.
So it all boils down to psychology.

-------------
That which is so far is actually so near.

Posted By: khin007
Date Posted: 21/Apr/2010 at 12:31pm
i posted a link to show a topic from another forum . I think link is not allowded so i am quoting from there

"Guys,
I invested 1 crore in Stock market. Ashwani Gujral is managing my funds.
After reading his books and his Resume , i decided to go with him.
His web site promises lots of things and the result shown on the front page are impressive. But belive me, the website shows totally diffrent figures from actual transactions in my account.

It has been one year now , I am down by 30 lacs.

Any way, its not about him, its about me. He has his disclaimer to protect him. I found myself completely stupid and hopless about situation.

Now, what should I do, how should I recover my losses, should I continue with him till breakeven or should I just exit.

I know you are absolutly upset with me , I can take any kind of answer in any kind of langauge , as I deserve it.

Thanks"

-------------
Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked.
Warren Buffett

Posted By: camanoj
Date Posted: 27/Apr/2010 at 4:19pm
If this is a recent post, it's very surprising that anyone can loose 30% in a year when broadbased indices are up 65-70%. Either this is to malign the advisor or if it is true, the advisor may be taking the other end of the trade.

-------------
Manoj

Date Posted: 30/Apr/2010 at 5:38pm
These days there is another "so called expert" Ashu Dutt on et now. He seems to be changing channels quite frequently having originally been in cnbc then left it then rejoined it and again left it to join et now. In betweeen he has had hair transplant. I remember seeing him earlier as quite a balding person and nowadays he has some hair to speak of.

In the morning he is the expert discussing various stocks and different aspects of the economy. The channel seems to be bent on projecting him as their own udayan.

-------------
Stockmarket is a weird place. For every person who buys a stock there is a person who sells it and both think they are very smart.

Posted By: abhishekbasu
Date Posted: 30/Apr/2010 at 11:10pm
You have hit the nail on the head...Ashu is being positioned as a "replacement" to Udayan to catch eyeballs off from CNBC...the problem with Ashu is he talks the language of a trader and portrays himself as the champion of the small investor...

God save investors from him and his ilk Wink

-------------

Posted By: LearningToFly
Date Posted: 04/May/2010 at 5:41pm
I think we should not take them too seriously and also should not hate them because they are just doing their job. It is very similar to a sales guy in an IT company going to the client and claiming that his company can work on any techmology :-)

-------------
Success... at all cost.

Date Posted: 04/May/2010 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by LearningToFly

I think we should not take them too seriously and also should not hate them because they are just doing their job. It is very similar to a sales guy in an IT company going to the client and claiming that his company can work on any techmology :-)

Very true. They are doing their jobs and speak what they feel is right. But the way they project themselves as experts is at times misleading and the poor retail investor may get caught up in their advice/views. My experience with most of my friends and relatives is that they just ask u what to buy and then forget about it. Or else they will watch the tv and buy what is mentioned there. And hence the importance of balanced advice/views from the so called experts.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/May/2010 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by LearningToFly

.. very similar to a sales guy in an IT company going to the client and claiming that his company can work on any techmology :-)

Big%20smile Very true!

When such sales guys bag the order, they get taalis
And project manager who executes the order, get gaalies!

Print Page | Close Window