Print Page | Close Window

Is Amararaja Batteries a growth stock or Value

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios!
Forum Name: Emerging companies - Mid caps that can become large cap
Forum Discription: These are companies operating in growing markets having have certain niches or specific attributes like new sector plays. These are emerging multibaggers with high risks and high rewards.
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=173
Printed Date: 28/Apr/2024 at 8:26am

Topic: Is Amararaja Batteries a growth stock or Value
Posted By: manishdave
Subject: Is Amararaja Batteries a growth stock or Value
Date Posted: 14/Aug/2006 at 10:28am

Or both?

Company is trading at p/e of 10. Not very high but not too low either. But It plans to grow by 100% in two years. I like management as they never came out with rights issue. Company is almost always debt free. They have good technology and succesfully entered automative batteries against dominant player Exide. Exide should be afraid of Amararaja. The way auto industry growing in India, replacement cycle will be mint for this comapany.
Some investors worry about lead price but I believe that all manufacturers will pass on the increase of metal price(that is also called inflation).

This is also among very few companies that hit new high after recent mkt crash.

Replies:
Posted By: Vivek Sukhani
Date Posted: 14/Aug/2006 at 11:40am
Excellent pick. But the dividend yield is pathetic. I would wait for the time the management becomes more confident regarding its future performance.Also, to my surprise, I see lot of fluctuations in EPS, which makes me a bit tentative. But its a buy on declines for sure.However, technically speaking, this scrip faces a good probability of entering a mid-term decline stage, and a fall to 240-250 cannot be ruled out.On the higher side, I would pare some holdings @410 and then @570.But a good observation, and I would be very keenly watching this company hence on.

Posted By: basant
Date Posted: 15/Aug/2006 at 6:41pm
                                 Amara Raja Batteries - Growth or Value

Amara Raja Batteries (CMP 332) is a small cap company having  technical backing of Johnsons Control of US. The company is a major player in the valve regulated lead acid (VRLA) batteries that are used in automobiles, industrial applications such as telecom, power and information technology, among others.

Amar Raja ventured into the automotive battery market in the late 1990s. It has since made a steady progress in the automobile segment, which now accounts for over 50% per cent of the turnover

Over the past few quarters the company managed to increase its profits which had taken a backseat due to lower realizations in the industrial battery market and also because of the rising advertisement costs.

Last year the company bagged exclusive orders to supply batteries to Swift — Maruti's latest model in the passenger car market. This along with the bagging of orders for other Maruti models has provided further impetus to growth.

The Board of Amar Raja Batteries recently approved a scheme to invest Rs 88.2 crores to increase its automotive battery capacity by 50% from 3.6 mm units per annum to 5.4 mm units per annum by Fy 08. The completion of present expansion shall increase the capacity (54 lac unites) by over 400% from September 2001.

Many companies manage to do what Amar Raja has done but few manage to do it the way they have done it. The company has increased capacity without diluting any equity over the past 4 years

Over the next 5 years the Indian car market is going to explode and also with increasing Industrial activity demand for the Amar Raja’s products is bound to go up in future.

The Company has also expanded its retail network to 135 franchisees from 125 at the end of the previous fiscal. The Company currently has a pan India sales and service network with 135 franchisees, 99 Pit stops and over 12000 active retailers. The company is also focusing on the replacement market by expanding its retail outlets across the country. It has also launched batteries across different price segments and is targeting new customers in the original equipment market.

Announcing the investment plans the management says that they have been extremely successful in expanding the OE & replacement business and also increased their Export business.

Financial Snapshot

Current Market price         

Market Capitalization

Rs 378 crores

Book Value

Rs 176.73

Sales FY 07 Q1

Rs 124.42

Net Profit FY 07 Q1

Rs 9.42

Operating Margins Fy 07 Q1

14.74%

Annualized EPS

Rs 33.12

PE

10 times

Market cap to current year Sales

Sales after completion of present expansion (in 2 years)

Rs 1000 crores

Estimated Market cap  (in 2 years)

Rs 750 crores

Stock Price in 2 years

Rs 650+

The expansion in operating margins by over 330 bps to 14.74% from 11.24% over the corresponding quarter of the previous year was a remarkable achievement especially so in the backdrop of higher lead prices. This shows that the company has managed to comfortably pass on the increase in cost to the customers. The company hopes to consistently scale up capacity to gear itself to tap the growing batteries market. The Management expects the turnover to exceed Rs 1000 crores post the expansion. Assuming that these plans fructify the stock could see some serious buying before the expansion actually takes place.

Recommendation: If the company manages to scale up its business the way the management expects it to the stock could double in about 2 years time. Investors could buy on declines and also take initial positions. Interestingly institutions have not yet started buying this stock. The scope for PE expansion is limited since the market leader EXIDE trades at a current year expected PE of 15 times but EPS growth should be enough to drive the stock higher over the coming quarters.

P.S: Manish you could add something more on this since you hold this stock for quite sometime now.I must admit i never looked at it seriously till date  but it seems to have both growth and value built into it.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Date Posted: 15/Aug/2006 at 12:32pm
Viviek,
yield is pathetic because things have changed for better recently for the company. You are right about fluctuation in EPS. I will explain there things further. But I dont agree with you that management is not confident abt. future. In fact they are very confident.

Basant,
Thanks for nice writeup. I know I dont write good and may be I am lazy too.

I think Amararaja is misunderstood company. There was some speculative activity in this company at time of KP, may be he was involved with that. But company pays good amt of tax and they never came with rights issue so I am least worried abt moral part. Company is BV of 175+ without rights premium. Every ruppee they have earned after tax and company is not really very old.

Company started with maintenance free industrial battery. Performed good. They they added automative batteried and that was tought nut to crack. It required brand. So this is reason for fluctuation in EPS. But now they have established themselves in automative segment and I see better future.

Company used have more payout on dividend but recently they have been adding capacity agressively and they dont dilute equity so less dividend. Company had capacity of 1m batteries in sept 2001 and will have capacity of 5.4m in mid 2007, without diluation.

What I m looking for in this company is replacement cycle. Auto boom started in 2003. That replacement cycle should start anytime now so even if auto industry doesn't grow, replacement will keep on going up. There much more money to be made on replacement batteries. If somebody is buying 200,000 batteries, they will negotiate to tooth and nail. They know cost of everything. Replacement is where they make nice profit.
They have started concenpt of pit stop. They collect your old battery for some money and then recycle lead. Brilliant idea.

Now they got the scale I think company is in sweet spot.

Amararaja started supplying to OEM so replacement they will get preference too.

Parent company of EXIDE is truggling hardly. Partner of Amararaja is very strong. This will help in future.

Higher energy price should help battrery mkt. Where ever you use solar, you need battery. Hybrid/electric cars will need bigger batteries.

Date Posted: 15/Aug/2006 at 12:39pm
Mr. dave, I didnt know much about the management but I treat low dividend declaratiion in that fashion. Kindly carry on...The management may be very confident but I become confident of the confidence of the management, if they start to pace up their dividends.I take back my words.

Date Posted: 15/Aug/2006 at 3:29am
Viviek,
I love higher dividend too. But think as if you are running Amararaja Batteries. If you see lot of opportunity and you need to invest 82 Cr - which they are planning to do - you would conserve cash. in past company has distributed upto 40% of profit.

I rate management good for two reasons:
1. They have high BV just our of profit and after tax.
2. They have successfully penetrated automative battery mkt.

What are your picks? You mentioned TIL somwhere. Do you own that stock? I do by the way.

Posted By: Ajith
Date Posted: 15/Aug/2006 at 8:45am

The key,I think,as mentioned by Mr. Basant is the tie-up with Johnson Controls which also has an equity stake if  I remember correctly.It all depends on how good Johnson Controls is.

Recently I sold off Exide because I do not think their stanglehold on the market can last in the longterm.I recently saw an ad for a Bosch battery.

Date Posted: 17/Aug/2006 at 10:26am

CNBC's Interview with CFO:

http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/news/business/gopalmahadevanamararajabatteries/expansiontocompletebysept07amararajabatteries/09/14/article/234965 - http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/news/business/gopalmahadevanamararajabatteries/expansiontocompletebysept07amararajabatteries/09/14/article/234965

Highlights:
Growth last year was 66%.
In Q1 growth was 85%YoY.
Replacement mkt share is 20% which they plan to increase by 5-7%.
projected turnover in two years 1000cr.

Date Posted: 17/Aug/2006 at 10:33am

Manish with due regard to the market I am perplexed why this stock ran up yesterday. there was nothing new in the interview and since I knew most of it I am sure you would have since you have been a keen follower of this company.So the stock price should have discounted all this before the interview.

But that is how markets behave. 

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Date Posted: 31/Oct/2006 at 10:18pm
For the September quarter Amarraja reported stunning numbers sales increased by 51.63% to Rs 132.02 crores from rs 87.07 crores while net profits increased 177.51% to Rs 12.71 crores from Rs 4.58 crores. There was an expansion in operating margins by 166 basis points to 16.77%.

The company seems to have entered a new growth orbit and as the benefits of increased capacity rolls in the numbers should continue to move in this trend over the next few quarters.

-------------

Date Posted: 31/Oct/2006 at 10:36pm
The way company is going, it is not impossible to pass Exide in 5 years. Amararaja started getting OEM orders only last year. Those batteries would come for replacement in 2 years and that is going to get bigger. People are more likely to replace battery with the same brand. Their concept of pit stop is great. They also dont have much debt so growing is not a problem for them.

Posted By: us121
Date Posted: 03/Dec/2006 at 7:30pm
AmaraRaja has got huge market share in Telecom Idustry. Every cell site provides 2 to 4 hours of battery backup to provide power in case of electricity failure. The replacement cycle here is about 2 years. They have been lead supplier to this indusrtry since 1998-99.

Also there is a huge expansion going on in Mobile communication industry. Every operator is planning to increase cell sites by almost double in next 12 months.

Also there is a big tender coming up under UOF i.e. universal obligation fund which is suppose to provide subsidy for rolling out about 8000 sites in the villages where there are no means of communication. Tender is likely to be out very soon.

Each of this site is suppose to be built by infrastructure provider under tender. they can be likes of any of the existing operator/ gil infra/ american towers/ essar group etc. However, the same site infra will be shared by minimum of three operators.

Each of this site will require huge amount of battery back up as the power situations at these places is likely to be horrible. Also the capacity of battery bank is going to be high as they have to support three operators.

The only word of caution is the margin may be low as this will be bulk supplies to the infrastructure builder.

AmaraRaja is going to benefit a lot. the second company is going to be HBL, though their market share till date is not very high.

-------------
ABILITY will get u at d top. CHARACTER will retain u at d top

Posted By: India_Bull
Date Posted: 05/Dec/2006 at 1:42am

Amarraja is going down in the rising market though the prospectus are good..

Does anyone has any idea?

-------------
India_Bull forever Bull !
www.kapilcomedynights.com

Date Posted: 05/Dec/2006 at 4:19am
Sandeep,
Answer to you question is lead prices.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical_large.html#6months - http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical_large.html#6months

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical_large.html#lmestocks_6months - http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical_large.html#lmestocks_6months

In 3 months lead prices can even spike as there is not enough stockpile. But I am not worried much as lead batteries dont have substitute.

Posted By: sunny_agarwal
Date Posted: 12/Mar/2007 at 10:27pm
A fantastic company with solid groth prospects. Stock looks great at current market prices. This company is a direct play on indias automotive and industrial battery market.  the bst play in this sector. solid financials and solid pedigree.

-------------
Be the change you wish to see in this world!!!

Date Posted: 12/Mar/2007 at 10:42pm
The promoters of Amara Raja batteries, Johnson Controls, has a wonderful pedigree. This Company, Johnson Controls has continuously increased dividend pay-out for 30 years... the EPS has increased for more than 50 years straight. I beleive, this is one stock, which is wonderful multi-bagger. They will also enter into Car interiors and upholstery in some time, given that it is one of the major business segments of Johnson Controls. They are already into power systems... this division will add feather to their cap.

Date Posted: 13/Mar/2007 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by sunny_agarwal

A fantastic company with solid groth prospects. Stock looks great at current market prices. This company is a direct play on indias automotive and industrial battery market.  the bst play in this sector. solid financials and solid pedigree.

Tatas have recently launched the batteries and they have big plans.
What are the likely effect of this on AmaraRaja?
Any analysis available?
Amara Raja is one of the OEM to Tata also.

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Mar/2007 at 12:44pm

I have got a copy of latest report on Auo Ancillaries of Motilal Oswal.

They have downgraded Amararaja Batteries to Neutral .(Unfortunately this has come at a time when I have started buying it !!!- )

If someone wants to have a copy of the same PM me with personal id.

Stock looks attractive at current prices but moves in tandem with Sensex.

Disclaimer - I read the reports from fund houses to get the facts and figures and not for their opinion and price targets.Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 19/Mar/2007 at 1:36pm
Thanks for that report. It seemed rather strange for MOST to write this company as neutral. They expect EPS to grow at more then 37.3%% between Fy 06-09 then why would a stock trade at a PE of 7 times FY 08?

Personally while  I am not having any positions in this company it does seem attractive. The increase in lead price (raw material) is a concern no doubt but that applies to every manufacturer across the globe. ALso Amaraja should be able to shift its rising input material cost if that happens.

Stocks could outperform or under perform no one knows that but at least a report should get its logic correct. I hope I am not upsetting any MOST fans by writing all this but Ramdeo baba does need to meditate through all this again!

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Apr/2007 at 11:44pm

Investment Advisor SP Tulsian is of the view that http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/stockpricequote/electricequipment/amararajabatteries/18/34/pricechartquote/marketprice/ARB - Amara Raja Batteries has target of Rs 500.

< ="http://202.87.40.52/promos/sponsor_news.js">

Tulsian told CNBC-TV18, "Amara Raja battery is into storage and automative batteries, having 52% promoter’s stake, which is held 26% by Gala family and 26% by Johnson control. For FY07, the company will have a topline of about Rs 550 crore with the bottomline of about 40 crore, translating into an EPS of more than 38. The company presently has 3.6 million units production facility, which they are ramping up to 5.4 million and this capacity will be on by second quarter of FY08. So, FY08 probably will have a topline of 750 crore with the bottomline of about 55-57 crore, which will give an EPS of Rs 48-50. So if one takes the present price of 373, my price target is that it should rule atleast by Rs 500 by the time they will announce their expansion capacity and the fruits of that will start flowing into the company. So, next six-twelve months or maybe nine-twelve months, I have a price target of more than Rs 500 from the present level of Rs 375."

source: moneycontrol.com

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Apr/2007 at 11:51pm
I saw that interview and with S.P Tuliyan you better be assured that he has done his full homework. Seems to know everything about any company he talks about.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Apr/2007 at 12:01pm
Thanks Basantji,

But one question in mind: did he not fail to smell what was to happen in sugar sector. he was very very bullish and in my opinion caught unaware.

-------------

Posted By: kanagala
Date Posted: 13/Apr/2007 at 2:33am
[QUOTE=SANDEEP]

I have got a copy of latest report on Auo Ancillaries of Motilal Oswal.

[\QUOTE=SANDEEP]

Hi Sandeep,
is it possible to share this reports with me? Can you mail the report? I am keeping tab on this space.

Posted By: xbox
Date Posted: 13/Apr/2007 at 6:36am
S.P Tuliyan
-----------
He is insiderLal. He carries even those details also which only company official knows. Barring bias effect, data provided by him worths a dekho.

-------------
Don't bet on pig after all bull & bear in circle.

Date Posted: 13/Apr/2007 at 9:49am
I like Tulsiyan for his details not the recommendations though. he has an uncanny habit of knowing everything about the companies he follows.He was stumped in sugar we all know how much he tries to defend his picks there.

-------------

Date Posted: 15/Apr/2007 at 7:31pm
AmaraRAja:

here is an article on the tremedous market growth potential for inverters/ generators.
some time back i heard su-kam ceo at IIM-A and he had also mentioned about tremendous growth coming up in the market for inverter product, due to various local/ eco related adverse issues related to Generators.

he also mentioned about huge maket potential in export not only in asia pacific region but also in the developed countries liks US and that of Europe.

This being low tech items and due to close to perfect electricity supply, not many companies in the developed countries are investing in these type of products.

They have come out with the system, which is internet based and monitoring the health of power system any where in the world, where they have installations, every 60 seconds.

Best use of opportunity of worse situation of electrical power over here and our software expertise.

Also he mentioned about working on to power storage projects in some of the rural and urban areas in consultation with govt. This calls for huge numbers of batteries.

if i am not wrong, they have already diversified in battery mfg cor captive purpose. However, market may explode.

MY REASON OF PLACING THIS ARTICLE HERE IS TO LOOK FOR PICK AXE THEORY FOR BATTERY MANUFACTURERS.

source: india infoline

Inverters, Generators demand to shot up by 25%:ASSOCHAM
India Infoline News Services / Mumbai Apr 13, 2007 12:10
The prices of inverter batteries, particularly for brands like Exide, Amaron have gone up by nearly Rs 1000-1200 in the past few months. The demand of dry and eco-friendly batteries have also gone up compared to normal batteries

20-25% hike in the demand of Inverters, their Batteries and Generators is expected in the current summer, particularly in NCR in the wake of anticipated scorching heat, arising out of aftereffects of global warming, according to Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM).

The worst affected sectors that are likely to suffer the heat impact in the region include industrial and residential areas, hospitals, schools and shopping centres in which the power cuts could range between 10-12 hours a day in view of power demand supply mismatch, adds ASSOCHAM.

As a result, the demand for inverters, their batteries and generators will rise to the extent of 20-25% as NCR is unlikely to be supplied power supplies either from neighbouring region or else from far off power producing sources, says the ASSOCHAM analysis on `Demand Growth for Power in NCR’.

Figure compiled by ASSOCHAM on Inverters market reveal that in unorganised and organised sector, the inverter market is within the ratio of 60-40. Large players in inverters segment like Su-Kam, Microtech and Luminous will face tough competition from unorganised inverter industry in view of price differential of about Rs.2000-2500 per inverter in NCR, This region’s inverter market was estimated at Rs.20bn for which the main demand came from resident sector in the last year which will grow to approx. Rs.25bn this summer, said D S Rawat, Secretary General, ASSOCHAM.

Its analysis also says that in last summer, peak power demand in NCR was about 4600 MW as against its demand of over 5500 MW. Since, hardly any capacity addition has come in the region in the last couple of months, the peak demand might grow to over 5800 in the current summer. Naturally, the power shortage will be met through installation of inverters and generators in the region, the demand for which will rise by 20-25% as it the last 12 months, purchasing power of aam adami has gone up  considerably.

The NCR had generator market size to the extent of less than Rs. 50bn during last summer, most of which was in the industrial, shopping centres and agriculture segment and partly in residential complexes. The market size for generator is expected to grow at least by over Rs.10bn in the region in view of their rising demand as generator prices have not gone that too high, said Rawat.

The domestic AC segment has been growing at 19-20% annually will rise to 25% growth in 2008. Split AC units currently comprise about 60% of the market base, at an estimated 25 lakh units. The Indian residential market for air conditioners is put at 12 lakh units per year. While the domestic AC market is estimated at Rs.32bn, Delhi has Rs.4bn share.

There is so much overload on power infrastructure especially in Noida, Greater Noida, Ghaziabad and Faridabad that over 1000 transformers have reportedly been gutted in last two years so far  and production in industries has come down heavily due to lack of power supply to industrial units as well as have negative impact on the industrial growth of region.

The Gurgaon which has emerged fast compared to other NCR are also facing acute power shortage and its posh areas like DLF, Sushant Lok, South City, Palam Vihar etc. also affected badly.

However, in case of Delhi, South Delhi will be witness the maximum power cuts due to high density population and unplanned number of offices and shops, followed by East Delhi’s areas like Laxmi Nagar, Myaur Vihar.

The impact of the power cuts will be so high that even the government hospitals in the NCR are suffering badly in the last years and its also affected their day-to-day healthcare facilities and sometimes, the emergency cases are also neglected badly.

The power cut has its adverse impact also in education especially in government owned schools and colleges, where the attendance has come down heavily in the peak summer season.

The prices of inverter batteries, particularly for brands like Exide, Amaron  have gone up by nearly Rs 1000-1200 in the past few months. The demand of dry and eco-friendly batteries have also gone up compared to normal batteries.

According to ASSOCHAM, the UP Power Corporation was generating approx. 2,700 MW of power every month, but the demand in the state was for 7,000 MW, thus leaving a gap of 4,300 MW. The UPPC is losing Rs 800 crore annually on power thefts.

According to ASSOCHAM, The industrial sectors like Sector 1, 2, 4, 9, 10, 62 of Noida and in Ghaziabad, Shahibabad, Raj Nagar, Meerut are the main places, the power shortage have witnessed very low in the last few years. In Faridabad, NIT, DLF industrial areas and in Gurgaon Udyog Vihar, Patudi Road, Maneshwar, Dharuhera, Pawal will  also suffer.

In Delhi, industrial areas like Okhla, Naryana, Mayapuri, Shahdara will also require additional power for their business survival.

-------------

Date Posted: 15/Apr/2007 at 7:53pm
ABsolutely wonderful insight. battery manufacturers would be greatly benefitted. It is a no brainer now that you have used your brains so well to dig it out for us.

-------------

Date Posted: 21/Apr/2007 at 11:09am
[QUOTE=basant]battery manufacturers would be greatly benefitted.  QUOTE]

Kunwer Sachdev, CEO: Su-kam in ET-BrandEquity p2 of 18 April:

if the invertor market in india is Rs. 2000/- crore, the batteries market is five times that.

and there is a huge scope to create a brand in the unorganised market.

-------------

Date Posted: 21/Apr/2007 at 11:28am
Thanks US121 you really have a good insight into things.

-------------

Date Posted: 23/Apr/2007 at 9:54pm
a report on exide from equitymaster:

OUTLOOK ARENA  >>   VIEWS ON NEWS >>  APRIL 23, 2007

Exide: Packing quite a punch!

Performance summary
Exide, India’s largest storage battery manufacturer has put up yet another impressive performance for the quarter ended March 2007. Riding on the back of robust auto numbers, the bottomline of the company has grown by an impressive 49% YoY on the back of a strong 36% topline growth. Although operating margins have shrunk marginally by 30 basis points, strong growth in other income and a benign depreciation charge has ensured that growth in bottomline remained higher than the topline. The company’s performance during the full fiscal FY07 has been even more impressive as it has reported a strong 54% growth in bottomline on the back of a 35% growth in topline as compared to previous fiscal. Operating margins have also shown a marginal improvement of 50 basis points.

(Rs m) 4QFY06 4QFY07 Change FY06 FY07 Change
Net sales 3,877 5,289 36.4% 13,886 18,703 34.7%
Expenditure 3,311 4,530 36.8% 11,661 15,626 34.0%
Operating profit (EBDITA) 566 759 34.0% 2,225 3,077 38.3%
EBDITA margin (%) 14.6% 14.3%   16.0% 16.5%  
Other income 12 42 248.8% 65 94 44.5%
Interest (net) 43 80 84.1% 224 277 23.5%
Depreciation 136 141 3.7% 548 542 -1.1%
Profit before tax 399 580 45.4% 1,517 2,352 55.0%
Tax 140 195 39.3% 510 800 56.9%
Profit after tax/(loss) 259 385 48.7% 1,007 1,552 54.1%
Net profit margin (%) 6.7% 7.3%   7.3% 8.3%  
No. of shares (m) 75.0 749.7   75.0 749.7  
Diluted earnings per share (Rs)* 1.4 2.1   1.3 2.1  
Price to earnings ratio (x)**         23.2  
(* annualised, ** on trailing twelve months earnings)

What is the company’s business?
EIL (Exide Industries Ltd) is India's largest storage battery company. It sells both automotive and industrial battery and the sales mix is estimated at 60:40. Over the years, it has consolidated its position in the automotive OEM segment and currently boasts of an overall market share of 78%. Exide's growth prospects are largely linked to the auto sector, considering its large presence in this segment. It has a technology tie up with Shin Kobe Electric Machinery Co and VRLA batteries and The Furukawa Battery Co. The company also caters to the needs of industrial customers (like telecom and railways) and has a 50% market share.

What has driven performance in 4QFY07?
Auto demand in the fast lane: As seen from the table below, barring motorcycles, all the other auto segments have continued to grow at a fast clip during 4QFY07. This has obviously benefited Exide as it continues to have a dominant presence in auto OEM batteries. At the end of FY07, it commanded a huge 80% share in the car market and a market share of 78%, all segments combined. As per reports, the production of four-wheeler automotive batteries increased to 5.6 million units from 4.6 million units and production of two wheeler batteries increased from 5.8 million units to 7.0 million units. As far as new orders are concerned, the company’s batteries have started adorning the hoods of the likes of Logan, Honda Civic, Maruti Swift Diesel, Zen Estilo and Hyundai Verna, thus once again underscoring its OEM strength.

The company was also able to capitalize on the opportunities thrown open by industrial battery market. The Indian Railways continued to repose faith in the company’s batteries and new products are in the pipeline so that further growth is achieved in the segment.

Automobile production stats...
Domestic 4QFY06 4QFY07 % change FY06 FY07 % change
Motorcycles 1,652,229 1,694,703 2.6% 6,207,690 7,112,225 14.6%
Passenger vehicles 377,194 449,342 19.1% 1,309,300 1,544,850 18.0%
Commercial vehicles 115,353 150,295 30.3% 391,083 520,000 33.0%
Three - wheelers 123,524 146,048 18.2% 434,423 556,124 28.0%
Total 2,268,300 2,440,388 7.6% 8,342,496 9,733,199 16.7%

Its ‘Lead’ once again: Lead prices, which constitute a huge chunk of the total raw material prices for the company have continued to rise, thus putting a constant pressure on the company’s margins. As evident from table below, raw material costs as a percentage of sales have jumped by a huge 540 basis points. Had it not been for the softening of dollar and savings on the other expenses front, operating margins during the quarter would have witnessed a further decline. The fact that lead price increase is a pass through has also helped matters. The company, in phases had increased prices by as much as 14.3% in order to nullify a 14.5% increase in lead prices.

Cost break-up...
(Rs m) 4QFY06 4QFY07 Change FY06 FY07 Change
Raw materials 2,261 3,369 49.0% 7,854 11,369 44.8%
% sales 58.3% 63.7%   56.6% 60.8%  
Staff cost 252 331 31.1% 994 1,240 24.7%
% sales 6.5% 6.3%   7.2% 6.6%  
Other expenditure 798 830 4.1% 2,813 3,017 7.3%
% sales 20.6% 15.7%   20.3% 16.1%  

The company seems to have utilized its capacity more effectively during the quarter as it has reported higher volumes without the concomitant increase in depreciation charges. This has really given a big boost to the bottomline growth of the company and has also helped it offset higher finance charges, which were presumably incurred on the back of expansion related capex.

As far as the performance of the past few quarters is concerned, while sales have gone into a higher orbit during FY07, margins have come under pressure during the latter half of FY07. We do not expect the margin pressure to subside any time soon and expect the same to remain at current levels.

History in quarters...
  4QFY07 3QFY07 2QFY07 1QFY07 4QFY06 3QFY06
Net sales growth (% YoY) 36.4% 34.0% 34.1% 34.7% 24.5% 16.0%
OPM (%) 14.3% 14.9% 18.6% 18.1% 14.6% 15.3%
NPM (%) 7.3% 7.6% 9.7% 8.6% 6.7% 6.3%

What to expect?
At the current price of Rs 48, the stock is trading at a price to earnings multiple of 23 times its FY07 earnings. Given the robust growth in volumes expected in the medium term and the company’s ability to pass on lead price hike to most of its end users, the stock should continue to trade at such lofty valuations for some more time to come. We will soon come out with an updated research report on the stock.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/May/2007 at 10:17pm
Amara Raja Batteries Ltd
Thursday, April 05, 2007 Amara raja Batteries Ltd has informed BSE that the Company would be publishing Audited Financial Results for the year ended March 31, 2007 and would have its Board Meeting to consider the same on or before June 30, 2007. In view of the above, the Company will not be publishing the Unaudited Financial Results for the fourth quarter ended March 31, 2007.
------------
Does it mean that we will have no clue about its q4 result till june end?
any likely reason for company doing so?

-------------

Date Posted: 23/May/2007 at 6:58pm
As per some of the  info i could gather:

this yr turn over is likely to be 700cr+,
margin is likely to be 2% lower as compared to previous yr.

-------------

Date Posted: 23/May/2007 at 7:05pm
Is the margin affected by the lead and other raw material price rise?

-------------

Date Posted: 30/May/2007 at 10:46pm

Though i do not know actual reason, my guess is:

one, due to increase of raw material price and two, their great thrust on automobile OEM market forcing to reduce the margin due to competition.

The latest info is they are overbooked on industrial/telecom battery segment. The deliveries, which earlier used to happen in 3~4 weeks are now having lead time of 8 weeks or so.

The best part is there is no local manufacturer matching their quality as of date and going to other manufacturer is like accepting the inferior quality.

-------------

Posted By: Rinku
Date Posted: 07/Jun/2007 at 3:08am
Battery stocks trail indices
Amriteshwar Mathur / Mumbai June 8, 2007
Battery stocks have under-performed the broader indices in the last one month. Analysts point out that investor sentiment will be hit as the costs of raw materials such as lead, that is used for making automobile batteries, is on the rise.

The investors are also turning cautious towards battery manufacturers, as the rising interest rates are likely to impact the demand for commercial vehicles and two-wheelers.

The stock of Amara Raja Batteries has been more or less flat in the last one month as compared with a 6 per cent rise in the BSE Mid-Cap Index. Eveready Industries declined 14.8 per cent, while Exide Industries rose 7.4 per cent during the period.

The raw material costs account for 55-60 per cent of the net sales. Lead has gained 11.8 per cent on the LME in the last one month and is currently quoting at $2325. However, inputs such as zinc has eased about 5 per cent.

The rising input costs had adversely affected the performance of Exide Industries in the March 2007 quarter. Its operating profit margins declined 40 basis points y-o-y to 14.35 per cent.

However, analysts point out that investor sentiment towards Exide has been strong as it purchased 49.13 per cent of ING Vysya Life Insurance in mid-2005.

Meanwhile, consumer battery maker Eveready Industries’ operating profit margin fell 900 basis points y-o-y to 1.3 per cent in the last quarter due to the higher raw material costs.

Date Posted: 20/Jun/2007 at 9:58pm

Amara Raja Batteries launches new retail store format 

It will be a one stop shop for power solutions for rural and semi urban markets

Industrial and Automotive Battery major, Amara Raja Batteries, has launched a new retail store format – Powerzone- to cater to the growing need for better technology and better service at affordable price in the rural markets. The first Powerzone store was inaugurated at Chengalpattu, in Tamil Nadu by Jayadev Galla, Managing Director, Amara Raja Batteries Limited. The local business partner is Yegnaraman, M/s.Motor Plazaa.

Powerzone will offer top quality automotive and power related products for the rural households and shops. It is a one stop shop offering a platter of products of global quality at local prices, right from automotive batteries, tractor batteries and home UPS, from the House of Amara Raja. The Company will be leveraging its expertise in lean management techniques, efficient network building and product innovation to bring in the economies for this venture. 

Inaugurating the store, Jay Galla said, “The consumer in the rural markets is today a poor cousin to the urban consumer. He settles for the substandard, local offerings because of the higher price points. At Amara Raja, we have technology and expertise in batteries and inverters and Powerzone is the innovative concept that brings technology at the right price for the rural consumers.”

“Our target is to have at least one Powerzone outlet in every Taluk Head quarters in India in the next two years. The business model for Powerzone has in-built social responsibility components which result in two direct benefits in the local community. One, Powerzone brings a new self employment opportunity to the rural educated youth, who are constantly seeking better opportunities outside. Our franchisee model nurtures and supports entrepreneurial spirit to develop a vibrant business and non-migratory job opportunities. Two, Powerzone will also help reduce lead related pollution in the rural landscape which results from unregulated battery disposal,” he added.

50 Powerzone stores to be opened in one month. 50 Powerzone stores will be opened in May 07 across the South, North and West India. The number will reach 500 stores by FY 2007-08.  Powerzone products will be priced to match the unorganized sector offerings today. 

All the Powerzone stores will be connected through an information backbone to the central hub, for efficient planning, management and stocking. The Powerzone network of stores is a franchisee model offering a ready-to-roll packaged business fully supported by ARBL through investment in IT infrastructure, products and brand building, while the local business partner will bring in local infrastructure and product investment. Going ahead, Powerzone will also offer other power related products, which will be sourced from reputed international sources.

Beyond the metros and large cities, the retail consumer is more acutely in need of power solutions and is a frequent buyer of automotive and power related products, whether it is to run his tractor, power his home or his shop.  Frequent power cuts add to this quest for alternative power solutions. 

“With colourful display and world class products in a minimum area of 350 square feet, Powerzone is a concept which will bridge the urban-rural divide in product offerings and customer experience. It translates into customer comfort in 4 critical areas – One, the shopping experience, two, the price point, three, the comfort of buying a standardized product backed with the best-in-class technology and most importantly the comfort of access to reliable, after sales service network across the country,” elaborated, G Indeevar, Head, Automotive – Aftermarket, ARBL.

(Source: India Infoline News Services)

Date Posted: 22/Jun/2007 at 9:27am

Amara Raja Batteries net profit rises 65.72% in the March 2007 quarter

Sales rise 75.43% to Rs 193.60 crore

Net profit of Amara Raja Batteries rose 65.72% to Rs 15.23 crore in the quarter ended March 2007 as against Rs 9.19 crore during the previous quarter ended March 2006. Sales rose 75.43% to Rs 193.60 crore in the quarter ended March 2007 as against Rs 110.36 crore during the previous quarter ended March 2006.

For the full year, net profit rose 97.23% to Rs 47.04 crore in the year ended March 2007 as against Rs 23.85 crore during the previous year ended March 2006. Sales rose 64.39% to Rs 595.80 crore in the year ended March 2007 as against Rs 362.43 crore during the previous year ended March 2006.

Source: capital market

-------------

Date Posted: 22/Jun/2007 at 9:28am
javascript:winhelp%28../PaidSec.asp?CapitalURl=/cmedit/story8-0.asp?SNo=170065&QAccess=Cap&Menuopt=010901%29 - Amara Raja Batteries' board approves stock split  (Corporate News 22-Jun 16:44)
Source: Capital market

-------------

Date Posted: 22/Jun/2007 at 10:14am
Source: Moneypore. cmp: Approx430

Amara Raja Batteries Ltd

Quarter ended Year to
Date
Year ended
(3) 
(3) 
% Var    200703
(12) 
(12) 
% Var 
 Sales 193.60  110.36  75.43  NA NA NA 595.80  362.43  64.39 
 Other Income 3.26  2.85  14.39  NA NA NA 9.77  7.35  32.93 
 PBIDT 28.44  18.69  52.17  NA NA NA 91.28  53.37  71.03 
 Interest 1.13  0.73  54.79  NA NA NA 3.09  1.34  130.60 
 PBDT 27.31  17.96  52.06  NA NA NA 88.19  52.03  69.50 
 Depreciation 4.96  3.55  39.72  NA NA NA 17.00  14.70  15.65 
 PBT 22.35  14.41  55.10  NA NA NA 71.19  37.33  90.70 
 TAX 5.61  5.57  0.72  NA NA NA 22.54  14.57  54.70 
 PAT 15.23  9.19  65.72  NA NA NA 47.04  23.85  97.23 
 Equity 11.39  11.39  0.00  NA NA NA 11.39  11.39  0.00 

-------------

Date Posted: 22/Jun/2007 at 11:02am
The PBDIT and PAT increased at a rate less then the increase in sales. Does that mean that increase in inputs have not been passed on to the customers?

-------------

Date Posted: 23/Jun/2007 at 4:26pm
i was just discussing with our procurement person who is dealing with this company. insight i got is:

1. off late they have passed on the material rise effect to the customer in atleast industrial batteries
2. None of the suppliers are commiting the price beyond 1 or 2 months of delivery
3. the raise expected in price is little over the premium of rise in LME quote for inputs. this is due to bouyancy in the market.
4. most of the bulk suppliers have started paying in advance to book the production

-------------

Date Posted: 23/Jun/2007 at 4:32pm
source: hindu business line
---------------------------

Amara Raja net doubles; 1:5 stock split proposed

Our Bureau

2-wheeler battery sales of around Rs 20 cr expected

Work patterns
Plant for making batteries for 2-wheelers to be production-ready by Oct.
Co intends to put up a plant near Haridwar.
Lead needs set to go up in line with projected production increase.

SEEING GROWTH: Mr Jayadev Galla (left), Managing Director, Amara Raja Batteries Ltd, and Mr Suresh K., Financial Controller, at a press conference in Chennai on Friday. — Bijoy Ghosh

Chennai June 22 Amara Raja Batteries, manufacturers of the Amaron brand of automotive batteries, has reported a net profit of Rs 47 crore for 2006-07, close to double of Rs 23.84 crore for the previous year.

The board of directors has recommended a dividend of Rs 3.50 a share (35 per cent). The board has also recommended a proposal to split the company's shares of Rs 10 each to Rs 2 each.

Amara Raja's turnover increased 67 per cent to Rs 595.80 crore (Rs 363.67 crore).

In the fourth quarter of last year, the company's turnover was Rs 193.60 crore (Rs 109.96 crore). Net profit for the quarter was Rs 15.23 crore (Rs 9.19 crore).

At a press conference here, the company's Managing Director, Mr Jay Galla, said that its upcoming plant for the production of batteries for 2-wheelers would be production-ready by October and the product should be in the market in December. The company expects 2W batteries sales of around Rs 20 crore this year.

The company, which achieved a 92 per cent capacity utilisation of its automotive batteries plant, is expanding its capacity from 4 million now to 5.5 million by the first quarter of next year.

Mr Galla said that Amara Raja intended to put up a plant near Haridwar, Uttarakhand. The company has bought some 20 acres of land there. Initially, it would send assembled batteries from its plant at Tirupati to Haridwar, where acid would be poured and the batteries charged and sold in the Northern markets.

But over time, the plant would be a fully integrated one. Investment details are being worked out.

Price of lead

Amara Raja Batteries imports about 3,000 tonnes of lead each year. This requirement is set to go up in line with the projected production increase.

The prices of the metal have been going up. From $1,400 a tonne at the end of last year, lead prices have gone up to $2,600 a tonne and are expected to rise further to $2,900, although some analysts expects the prices to slide to $1,500 levels from there.

Still, Amara Raja is not much affected, Mr Galla said. In the aftermarket, the company is able to get price increases.

In the OE segment, for about 80 per cent of the company's sales lead prices are underwritten by the buyer. The other 20 per cent is where the company feels the impact, but the appreciation of the Rupee has come in handy. On the overall, lead prices have had a near-neutral impact on the company's sales.

-------------

Date Posted: 25/Jun/2007 at 11:33pm
source: the hindu
-----------------------

AMARA RAJA UPBEAT OVER VODAFONE ENTRY
Chennai
http://www.hindu.com/2007/06/23/stories/2007062355271600.htm - The Hindu

The entry of Vodafone into the Indian market through the acquisition route has provided ‘beyond the expectation’ opportunity for battery makers like Amara Raja Batteries.

Addressing a press conference here on Friday to announce the annual results, Jayadev Galla, Managing Director, said Vodafone’s arrival had triggered a heightened activity in the Indian telecom space, with each and every player, including the BSNL, embarking on a huge network expansion, resulting in a big surge in battery usage. “None of us anticipated this trigger in demand,” he said. A little over a third of the company’s revenue came from battery sales to the telecom vertical, according to Suresh K., Financial Controller.

Galla said Amara Raja would focus increasingly on non-automotive segments. In this context, he pointed out the ‘beyond the imagination’ pace of growth in demand for inverter batteries. “More homes will have inverter battery, which can outpace the growth in automotive battery,” he said.

The company also announced its plans to sub-divide the face value of the stock from Rs. 10 each to Rs. 2 each fully paid-up.

The objective was to improve liquidity, said Mr. Galla. The Managing Director expressed concern over the rise in lead prices globally. It had shot up from $1,400-1,500 to $2,600 a tonne now. It was expected to rise further to $2,900 a tonne.

This had offset the gain the company had got from the rupee appreciation, he said. In this context, Mr. Galla said Amara Raja would go in for hedging fixed price contracts.

-------------

Date Posted: 25/Jun/2007 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by manishdave

Sandeep,
Answer to you question is lead prices.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical_large.html#6months - http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical_large.html#6months

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical_large.html#lmestocks_6months - http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical_large.html#lmestocks_6months

In 3 months lead prices can even spike as there is not enough stockpile. But I am not worried much as lead batteries dont have substitute.

US121,
Thanks for update.

I expect the lead price to stabilize and mostly even retreat in next 3-4 months. Reason: A new mine opeing will bring additional supply on 82,000 tons/year in mkt from 2008. Mine should start in August.  Another big producer which is closed down because of posioning will go for reivew in august and may get permission for shipping. That will bring enough supply in mkt. But Amararaja will have to pass on benifit as well.

Date Posted: 26/Jun/2007 at 11:09pm
Amara Raja Batteries an outperformer: HDFC Sec

HDFC Securities has maintained an outperformer rating on http://www.indiaearnings.com/sub_india/comp_results.php?sc_did=ARB - Amara Raja Batteries . The stock currently trades at 8.5x and 7.3x our FY08E and FY09E EPS estimates of Rs 53.3 and Rs 62.6.

HDFC Securities report on Amara Raja Batteries:

For Q4FY07, Amara Raja Batteries (ARBL) reported a net sales of Rs 1,936 million, a growth of 75% yoy. The revenue growth was mainly driven by a robust demand for industrial and automotive batteries.

The operating margin of the company dipped by 140 bps yoy, to stand at 13.0%, which was above   our expectations. The pressure on the margin was mainly due to higher raw material costs ( higher lead prices), which grew by 86% yoy to Rs 1,255.7 million. As a result, the operating profit for the quarter grew by 59% yoy to Rs.252.8 million.

During Q4FY07, the tax-PBT ratio stood at 32%, compared to 36% and 34% in Q4FY06 and Q3FY07 respectively. Consequently, ARBL’s Q4FY07 net profit grew by 66% yoy to Rs 152 million. Q4FY07 EPS stood at Rs 13.4.

We expect the operating performance of the company to be under pressure with lead prices touching new highs. Its venture into two-wheeler batteries and increasing exposure in the industrial battery segment keeps us interested and we expect a 35% growth in product volumes with an average realization growth in line with lead prices. The stock currently trades at 8.5x and 7.3x our FY08E and FY09E EPS estimates of Rs.53.3 and Rs.62.6.  We maintain our “Outperformer” rating.

-------------

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 10/Jul/2007 at 10:32pm
Competition.....

Tata AutoComp GY Batteries Ltd (TGYBL) has decided to put in close to Rs 120 crore in its existing Pune plant to create 5.5 million pieces a year capacity for primarily four and two-wheeler batteries.

TGYBL, an equal joint venture between Tata AutoComp Systems Ltd and GS Yuasa International of Japan, has already put in Rs 50 crore for four-wheeler batteries in its 15-acre Pune plant. The capacity for four-wheeler batteries would be ramped up from a mere 5 lakh units a year to 2 million within the next three years at an additional investment of Rs 50 crore while another Rs 70 crore would be put into the plant for a two-wheeler battery line, chief executive officer Yogesh Dhawan said during the launch of Tata Green range of batteries in Kolkata.

Complete news: http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=169640 - here on FE

-------------
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards

Date Posted: 15/Jul/2007 at 10:06pm
One more competitor interview..
Source: india infoline
-------------

Mr. Paban Kr Kataky, ED, Automotive Division, Exide Industries Limited

Jun 11, 2007

Exide Industries Limited is the market leader in the organized sector in both the automotive and industrial segments of batteries. 'EXIDE' and ‘SF (Standard Furukawa)', the flagship brands of the Company, are also the leading battery brands in the country. The Company has the dominant share in the original equipment segment for automobiles. It powers almost all the cars, introduced in India, and has the dominant share in the organized sector replacement segment for Automobile batteries.

Exide was the first to introduce batteries for electric vehicles, traction batteries for electric wheelchairs, flat-plate batteries for golf carts and batteries for automated guided vehicles. The Company is the largest manufacturer of cap lamp batteries in the world. It is also one of the five companies in the world, which has the capability to make submarine batteries for both Russian and German submarines. Its major initiative, Project Kissan, has made steady inroads into the rural regions, particularly those of the North and West. This has helped to spread consciousness among the rural populace on the need to use eco friendly and technologically superior batteries. Exide has made extensive use of Kissan Melas and Dhabas to promote this scheme and has introduced "Jai Kissan" battery to cater to the replacement market in this segment. The Company exports batteries, which have captured niches in South East Asian and European markets.

Paban Kr Kataky, Director-Automotive is the SBU-Head of the Automotive Division. He is also a Director of Associated Battery Manufactures (Ceylon) Ltd, Sri Lanka and Chloride International Ltd, India. He holds a First Class Degree in Electrical Engineering from Assam Engineering College. Paban Kataky has worked with Bajaj Electricals and Crompton Greaves. In Exide Industries, he has conceptualized and implemented Project Kissan for rural marketing, Project Highway for highway marketing, Bat-Mobile for on-road customer service and customer relationship management with Oracle.

In a detailed reply to Anil Mascarenhas of India Infoline, PK Kataky says, "We are confident that our operating margins will be maintained or improved."

Between OEM and replacement business, where is the growth coming from?

The Battery industry is OEM dependent. When OEMs do well, the OEM battery business immediately goes up. However, the effect in replacement market comes 2 to 3 years later. Since OEMs have been doing well consistently for the last couple of years, now both OEM business and Replacement business are doing well in the Battery industry.

What is your outlook on the auto industry? What are the challenges you face?

The Indian Automobile industry is doing well and there are indications it will continue to do well for at least next 7 to 10 years. Approximately, Automobile Industries are investing Rs250 to Rs300bn while Automobile Component Industries are going to invest a minimum of Rs100bn in next 4 to 5 years. The country’s GDP growth is also a very encouraging factor. Many International OEM customers are making India a Hub for export. All this brings great opportunities to our industry. Our challenges are to meet International Quality at Competitive price.

What does it take to be a leader in this industry?

A Leader has to always remain ahead of others. His main concern is to ensure that the gap between him and the next competitor either widens or remains the same. At Exide Industries, we not only want to remain No.1 but also want to keep this gap substantially wide.

What is your current capacity and utilization? How many facilities do you have? What are your expansion plans?

Currently, we have around 6mn capacity in Automotive and 8mn capacity in Motor Cycle batteries. We have six factories all over the country. Our expansion plan is to keep pace with the market growth.

You have a capex plan of around Rs800mn. How would you fund this?

We would look at funding, both, through internal accruals as well as through borrowings.

What is the current size of the market in India and globally? What is your share in India in the OE market and replacement market?

The current market size is approx. 11-12mn automotive batteries. In the organized sector, we have above 70% market share in replacement segment and close to 80% market share in OEM segment.

In the Lead-acid battery business including Automotive and Industrial, our company has around 3.8% world market share.

What is the replacement cycle for your products? With cycles getting longer, do you anticipate a slowdown later?

The replacement cycle of our battery depends on application, usage pattern and electrical of the vehicles. Under standard application and usage, our batteries last at an average of more than 3 years in passenger vehicle application. While the cycle is getting longer, market size for better quality battery is becoming much bigger. Therefore, those who make better quality products will never feel any slowdown, compared to those who only make good quality product.

What is the share of the unorganized sector especially in the replacement market?

It is very difficult to pinpoint share of unorganized sector in replacement market. They are more prominent in Tractor and Commercial Vehicles. Due to environment restrictions and currently due to high lead price, the unorganized sector is facing difficulty and losing market share. I estimate their total market share to be 50% in replacement market.

You have 60% revenues from automotive segment and 40% from industrial applications. Going ahead how do you see this mix shaping?

Both, Automotive and Industrial business are growing. I do not foresee any significant change of mix in the near future.

How big is the competition? What edge do you have over them? What about competition from across the border?

There are competitions and since we have a very high market share, many a time competitors target us. Our understanding of the Indian market is very strong as we are here for more than 50 years. We have been able to give products and service, our Indian customers’ desire. With International boundaries gradually receding, competition is bound to come from across the borders. As I have said earlier, our Quality, Price and Service are much ahead of others and hence we shall not feel threatened by competition either internally or externally.

Your operating margins have improved to above 18%. Do you see it sustaining at these levels?

We have made our 3-year rolling plan and we are confident of maintaining or improving our operating margins.

What is the kind of assured business you get?

In OEM segment, we have an approximately 80% business assured. In automotive replacement business there is nothing called order book position. The sales are done through a well-organized distribution network on day-to-day basis.

What trends are you seeing in raw material prices especially lead? How much is imported? Going ahead are the imports likely to reduce? What alternatives do you have for procurement?

The rise in lead price is of great concern for the entire Automobile industry globally. Until now, no viable alternatives have been found for Lead-acid batteries. Our domestic producers of lead also peg their price as per international LME price. We also do not want to use substandard local smelters lead to reduce cost, as this will reflect on our Quality and Life of the battery. Therefore, now, we do not have any significant alternatives for procurement and are trying to cope up with the high lead price.

To what extent are you impacted by the differential duty structure between lead-acid batteries and Lead? Do you see it changing due to the FTA with Thailand?

While we do not want any protection from the Government through Customs Duty regulations, we certainly expect the Government to make a uniform level playing ground, while signing any Free Trade Agreement with any foreign country.

Any hedge against the fluctuating currency?

Since the domestic production of lead is very small, we have to import a very large quantity of lead. Favorable fluctuation in currency certainly helps to that extent. However, we are not an expert on currency fluctuation and we do not do any currency speculative purchase.

When was the last price hike effected. By what percent? Do you foresee any price hikes in the near future?

Currently, lead prices are going up every month and since 70% of the raw material of a battery is lead, we have no other alternative, but increase the price of battery as and when the lead price goes up.

However, we have not been able to pass on the entire lead price increase to the consumer, as we also have to protect the interest of the consumer. Therefore, we are increasing our productivity and efficiency to absorb part of the lead price increase.

As stated earlier, in future any price increase is related to lead price increase.

Brief us about your brand strategy? How much do you spend on your branding initiatives?

We have two major brands "EXIDE" and " SF SONIC"

Exide as a brand is perhaps one of the strongest brand in India. Due to its Quality and Service, it has been able to occupy a position of Trust, Confidence and Dependency in the heart of the Consumer, which is unparallel to any other competitor.

Our current TV commercial on Exide, talks about the love that the battery has for the Car when it says "Exide Loves Cars".

SF was always a competitive brand and was fighting competition very strongly right from the beginning. SF is Trendy, Fearless and Aggressive. We have placed SF as a brand competing with others to retain its No.2 position in the market. If you look at the TV commercial of SF- "Power that Never Wanes", you will observe how SF as a brand is taking on competition.

-------------

Posted By: vishal.sahay
Date Posted: 15/Jul/2007 at 10:46pm
Exide Insutries holds a lot of promise. This company is not only leader in battey space and it holds a lot of inherent promise as it holds 49% stake in ING Vysa Life Insurance. Though the company does not have strong expertise in insurance business but it has indicated that it is going to remain in this business for long term and is willing to put in more money so as to maintain its stake and business growth.

-------------
Vishal

Date Posted: 15/Jul/2007 at 10:55pm
exide's reach is its biggest strength....the day amara raja gets it right there, exide has to face some real competition.... from whatever little i know they are doing great in ATB and traction batteries....but whwn it comes to power solutions I beleive Amara raja, thanks to the strength it derives from johnson controls, will do well over there....

Date Posted: 20/Jul/2007 at 10:59pm
source: indiaearnings.com
-------------
Exide Inds says one more round of price hike likely
   http://www.indiaearnings.com/videos/videos.php?autono=293405">   http://www.indiaearnings.com/videos/videos.php?autono=293405 - Play Video

http://indiaearnings.moneycontrol.com/sub_india/comp_results.php?sc_did=EI - has declared its Q1 results, its net profit was up at Rs 70.1 crore versus Rs 38.11 crore in the corresponding quarter of the previous year.

Standalone net sales increased to Rs 663.92 crore from Rs 441.11 crore in the corresponding quarter of the previous year.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/mccode/news/searchresult.php?search_str=T%20V%20Ramanathan&datesel=2 - , MD and CEO, Exide Industries said that they had Rs 8-9 crore benefit from forex gains. 

He added that one more round of price hike is likely. According to him, margins have improved by 140 bps.

Excerpts from CNBC-TV18's exclusive interview with T V Ramanathan:

Q: Can you take us through the numbers that you have reported for this quarter?

A: On net sales, the growth is 52% on a year-on-year basis and the after-tax profit, or PAT, shows a growth of 84%. For the quarter ended June 30, the PAT is at Rs 70 crore as against Rs 38 crore for the same period last year.

Q: Give us an idea of how things are looking this quarter? As you have Lead, which constitutes about 70% of your overall raw material costs, how did that pan out in the previous quarter; during the current quarter, is that likely to face a pinch?

A: Even in the current quarter, definitely the high Lead price is an area of concern. But we also have got the benefit from most of our original equipment manufacturer, or OEM, sales or the contract is linked with the LME prices.

So, when the price goes up, automatically the selling price is also getting adjusted in line with the LME price.

This year we are fortunate for the industrial sector; there were only 15% of the industrial sales as against last year and the price variation was there. This year, 85% of the sales of industrial institutional customers are also linked to LME prices. So, we are able to adjust the price change in line with the LME prices.

And as for the replacement rate, we had made two price increases in the last quarter; if the price continues like this, we will be making at least one more price increase this quarter.

Q: You have reported 85% growth in profit, what was the main trigger that allowed for this kind of growth in profit? Did you have any extraordinary other income component?

A: We had about Rs 8-9 crore benefit from the exchange gain because of the rupee appreciation.

Q: And, how does this gain accrue to you? Is it because of raw material prices or any forex loan component?

A: On March 31, 2007, we had valued all foreign currency liabilities, including the liability for Lead suppliers at the March ’07 rate. And, the rate of March ’07 was much higher than what it was at June 30. So, we got the benefit of the exchange rate.

Q: In terms of orders, is it the automotive segment, which is going to continue to be a key driver, or telecom segment? How much of a fillip is going to come into that area of business?

A: Luckily for us, we are catering to various sectors of the economy. We are no longer an auto component company and we expect significant growth from telecom, power and UPS for industrial.

As far as auto is concerned, the replacement market is very buoyant; even though there is a slight buoyant growth in the auto sector for the OEM suppliers, I will not say it de-growth.

Q: What were the operating profit margins that you reported for the quarter under review? How do you expect margins and revenues to grow for the rest of the year?

A: Despite the high Lead prices, we were able to improve the operating margin by 140 basis points.

Q: And, what are your revenue and margin growths for the rest nine months?

A: We will achieve our budgeted growth even for the remaining three quarters; I can make that much commitment.

-------------

Posted By: Rinku
Date Posted: 23/Jul/2007 at 12:51pm

Some of the below articles suggests that exide is better than amararaja batteries?

Date Posted: 11/Aug/2007 at 2:16am
An interesting story on AmaraRaja~ Exide in BW:

http://www.businessworld.in/content/view/2250/2327/

-------------

Date Posted: 11/Aug/2007 at 10:24am
Quite informative article. Thanks Us121.

Who's the leader in Telecom segment as per your opinion?

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Aug/2007 at 8:35pm
undoubtedly AMARARAJA. Excellent product and support.

Exide has hardly any presence but they are trying to come up.

HBL has some market but quality and support is pathetic.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/Aug/2007 at 1:21pm
http://www.bseindia.com/qresann/news.asp?newsid=%7bF21F1B63-1EB9-41E1-A015-EA5A5E9BBA54%7d - Amara Raja Batteries Ltd has informed BSE that the Board of Directors of the Company at its meeting held on August 14, 2007, has unanimously approved the expansion in the capacity of the industrial battery division, involving a capital expenditure of Rs 650 million.

-----------

I can see us121 smiling!

-------------

Date Posted: 25/Aug/2007 at 8:06am
-----------

I can see us121 smiling!
[/QUOTE]

Kulmanji,
Now u have encroached in our personal life knowing when we are smiling and crying!!! Wink

Anyway it is true, when we have collected the required quantity from the market and the stock goes up, certanily we feel happy.

-------------

Date Posted: 25/Aug/2007 at 8:31am
Now u have encroached in our personal life knowing when we are smiling and crying!!

------------------------------------------------------------

Ha ha ha LOL 

No Sir, I am doing a PhD on the subject of "The realtionship between the bullish newsflow, rise in share prices, its emotional impact on shareholders & their change in behaviour in day-to-day life"Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 26/Aug/2007 at 2:29pm
Topic: Is Amararaja Batteries a growth stock or Value
Posted: Today at 8:31am By kulman
Now u have encroached in our personal life knowing when we are smiling and crying!!

------------------------------------------------------------

Ha ha ha LOL 

No Sir, I am doing a PhD on the subject of "The realtionship between the bullish newsflow, rise in share prices, its emotional impact on shareholders & their change in behaviour in day-to-day life"Wink

Kulmanjee,
Let us know the results of your PHD thesis and it should be quite interesting. If there is emotional impact on shareholders etc etc, then it is going to be very bad and we need to have lot of STOCK MARKET COUNSELLORS  (Just like we have marriage counsellors !!)

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Oct/2007 at 8:55am

Date:28/10/2007 URL: http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/bline/iw/2007/10/28/stories/2007102850571100.htm
< style=": relative; top: 0px;" ="http://www.cms.com/hindubusinessline/ticker.asp" border="0" height="24" scrolling="no" width="439">
Amara Raja: Hold

The high growth potential in the telecom and UPS battery segments and higher replacement demand for automotives are positives for the company.

Parvatha Vardhini C

Shareholders can retain their investments in Amara Raja Batteries (ARBL), a player in the industrial and automotive storage batteries business. At the current market price of Rs 159 (post-split), the stock trades at a P-E of 14 times the trailing 12 months earnings. This is a discount to Exide Industries, the market leader. The potential for high growth in the telecom and UPS battery segments and higher replacement demand for automotive batteries due to the buoyant automobile sales in the last few years are positives for the company. But firm trends in the prices of lead, the key raw material, and competition from bigger players such as Exide remain a concern. The stock has appreciated considerably in the past one year giving over 80 per cent returns. Investors with a long-term view, however, can consider exposure on weaknesses relating to the broader markets.

Under the brands ‘Power Stack’ and ‘Quanta’ in the industrial segment, the company manufactures batteries for the telecom, railways and the IT and ITES industry.

It provides automotive batteries branded ‘Amaron’ to Ashok Leyland, Mahindra and Mahindra, Tata Motors, Maruti and Hyundai, among others. Both segments contribute equally to revenues.

Prospects

As telecom service providers expand their networks and get into sharing infrastructure, the company will benefit from the increased demand for batteries, which support their tower and exchange infrastructure. UPS battery sales will be propelled by growth in the IT and ITES industry, which requires back-up power, and the demand from households and offices due to the continued power shortage situation.

In the automotive segment, the existence of a de-risked sales mix catering to passenger cars, tractors and commercial vehicles will help the company tide over a slowdown better. Besides, the rollout of new models by the OEMs may bring the opportunity to become sole suppliers for that model ensuring a steady revenue stream. Fuelled by the rising demand, the company had embarked on capacity expansion last year. Besides, it is also setting up a greenfield plant with a capacity to manufacture one million units of two-wheeler batteries by Q3 FY-08 and five million by FY-09.

In a bid to boost volumes and improve their market share in the higher margin replacement market, the company has conceptualised retail outlets called ‘Power Zones’ to be set up in rural and semi-urban areas. A network of 500 stores is to be set up in FY-08.

Concerns

Raw material costs account for about two-thirds of sales and lead constitutes 70 per cent of the raw material used. India is a net importer of the metal; international lead prices have seen a huge rise since the beginning of this year. Operating margins have declined from around 18 per cent to 15.6 per cent in the latest quarter, mainly due to raw material costs which have shown over a 100 per cent increase for the same period. Part of this rise was offset by passing it on to the customers.

Although the battery-makers increased prices earlier this year, the company may face resistance to future price increases as automakers themselves are faced with a slowdown and OEMs are looking at cost-cutting.

Exide has announced plans to increase prices by a further 7.5 per cent this month, but Amara Raja is yet to follow suit. Exide has also announced plans to buy out a smelter to recycle used lead-acid batteries which will help them reduce input costs.

While the capacity expansion for industrial batteries was completed in FY-07, the automotive and two-wheeler battery divisions are expected to start contributing to revenues by FY-09. Until then, net margins could be impacted by way of higher interest and depreciation costs. Given the slowdown in the two-wheeler segment, there are uncertainties surrounding the contributions from the company’s foray into the making of two-wheeler batteries.

---------------------

i differ on this comment in last few lines:
"Given the slowdown in the two-wheeler segment, there are uncertainties surrounding the contributions from the company’s foray into the making of"

with crude price approaching $100 and incresed concerns for environment, trend will move more and more to battery operated two wheelers and that is where another big opportunity lies.

who knows, kulmanji's bicycle factory (as he planned to hedge crude price effect) may also produce all battery operated bicycles...

Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Nov/2007 at 9:58pm
If RCom is allotted GSM spectrum (which now as i undersgtand is more likely), than they are going to add huge number of sites/ towers across the country for this purpose.

This is going to open up a great demand for telecom battery suppliers.
RCom may plan to import lots of infra material, in order to roll out the network at the best speed. However, lots of ordering will be diverted to local companies, who have capacity.

Amara Raja being the leader in this segment is likely to be the most beneficiary.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Nov/2007 at 10:42pm
from one of the blog site (i do not know the actual source):
--------------------

AMARA RAJA: King of Batteries

http://multibaggers.blogspot.com/2007/11/amara-raja-king-of-batteries.html -

by Raj

http://bp3.blogger.com/_1S4vbFjADS0/RynRlX0_oEI/AAAAAAAAAWU/jg87b30MDsw/s1600-h/amararaja+logo.jpg">
Amara Raja - Net Profit Up 94%

Industrial and Automotive Battery major Amara Raja Batteries Limited has recorded revenues of Rs. 2597 million (Net Sales: Rs. 2562 million + other income: Rs. 35 million), PBT of Rs. 315 million and PAT of Rs. 206 million for the second quarter of FY 2007-08. For the quarter ended Sep 07 the topline has grown by 94% while PAT rose 62% as compared to the corresponding quarter of last year.

Announcing the results, Mr. Jayadev Galla, Managing Director remarked that growth has been fed by good demand from the telecom, UPS and after market segments. “We have shown consistent growth over the last 10 quarters with equal contribution from both Industrial and Automotive divisions. Our expansion plans announced during the last one year are progressing as per schedule and will help to sustain this pace of growth,” he said.

“Our performance on profitability demonstrates the resilience of our business model. Improved realizations and superior management of key operating parameters has helped us to partially mitigate the adverse impact on account of steep increase in lead. While we continue to watch the lead price scenario very closely, we will work to reduce the impact on our margins as much as is possible,” he added.

“The financial position of the company continues to be comfortable. The stock split from Rs.10 to Rs. 2 announced during June has taken effect from 26th September 07,” observed Mr. K. Suresh, Financial Controller.

For the full year period ending March 2007, ARBL had recorded 67 % growth in revenues at Rs 7.45 billion (Rs. 4.46 billion in FY 2005-06). The PBT shot up by 91% to Rs. 712 million and PAT 97% to Rs. 470.4 million during the same period.

Amara Raja Batteries Limited, an Amara Raja-Johnson Controls Company with 26% equity from Johnson Controls, is the technology leader and is one of the largest manufacturers of Lead Acid batteries for both Industrial and Automotive applications in the Indian storage battery industry.

In India, Amara Raja is the preferred supplier to major telecom service providers, telecom equipment manufacturers, UPS segment (OEM & Replacement), Indian Railways and to Power, Oil & Gas among other industry segments. Amara Raja manufactures and sells automotive batteries under the brand name AMARON ® which is distributed through a large pan-India sale-service retail network.

The company supplies automotive batteries under OE relationships to Ashok Leyland, Fiat, General Motors, Hindustan Motors, Honda, Mahindra & Mahindra, Maruti, Hyundai & Tata Motors. The company is an exclusive supplier to Daimler Chrysler, Ford and Swaraj Mazda. The Company’s Industrial and Automotive batteries are exported to APAC, Africa and the Middle East.

Johnson Controls is a global leader in interior experience, building efficiency and power solutions. The company provides innovative automotive interiors that help make driving more comfortable, safe and enjoyable. For buildings, it offers products and services that optimize energy use and improve comfort and security. Johnson Controls also provides batteries for automobiles and hybrid electric vehicles, along with systems engineering and service expertise. Johnson Controls (NYSE: JCI), founded in 1885, is headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Its sales for 2006 totalled US$ 32.24 billion.

-------------

Posted By: milinthakkar
Date Posted: 02/Dec/2007 at 12:30pm
The fall in lead prices to benefit Amararaja Batteries..  An decrease in operating cot by 15-18% will make it further attractive..

-------------
Milin Thakkar

Date Posted: 22/Jan/2008 at 9:17pm

Bumper result from Amararaja for Dec 07.

Sales 307 Cr.
NP 29 Cr.
EPS 5.21

It is close to all time high in this Crash. Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: 25/Jan/2008 at 8:51pm
An excellent result.
All expansion plan on track.
huge demand for industrial batteries at least for next four quarters.
Competition is far off in terms of quality and credentials.

Fundamentally strong stock from all financial perspectives.
Likely to achieve great heights further.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Feb/2008 at 4:47pm
i recently met one of the senior official of this company.

during informal discussion, i found him to be very bullish for the performance of the company.
Expects 10 to 20% of expansion plan to be operational by April 08.
100% expansion will be in production by June 08 end.

if all goes well expects 1600 cr+ top line next financial year.

-------------

Posted By: shivkumar
Date Posted: 13/Apr/2008 at 8:13pm
Amararaja Batteries information snapshot

What do TEDdies think of A B as a long term investment?

Balance Sheet

Amara Raja Batteries Ltd. : Balance Sheet

Industry Auto Ancl - Batterie BSE Code 500008 Face Value Rs. 2.00
Non Execu Mr. Ramachandra N Galla NSE Code AMARAJABAT Market Lot 1
Group Amara Raja-Johnson Controls Group ISIN No INE885A01024 Book Closure 14/08/2007

You can view Balance Sheet for the last 5 years.

(Rs in Cr.)

Mar ' 07 Mar ' 06 Mar ' 05 Mar ' 04 Mar ' 03 
SOURCES OF FUNDS     
Owner's Fund     
Equity Share Capital 11.39 11.39 11.39 11.39 11.39
Share Application Money 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Preference Share Capital 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Reserves & Surplus 232.28 189.90 169.30 163.20 163.74
Loan Funds     
Secured Loans 107.49 16.23 7.37 4.49 1.07
Unsecured Loans 33.22 21.64 15.94 10.39 8.67
Total 384.38 239.16 204.00 189.47 184.87

USES OF FUNDS     
Fixed Assets     
Gross Block 257.78 190.71 167.23 158.35 151.37
Less : Revaluation Reserve 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Less : Accumulated Depreciation 100.95 86.36 72.37 59.16 46.89
Net Block 156.83 104.35 94.86 99.19 104.48
Capital Work-in-progress 6.17 4.81 1.29 0.95 4.23

Investments 16.19 32.01 23.56 20.88 13.16

Net Current Assets     
Current Assets, Loans & Advances 350.02 228.07 161.26 119.85 123.11
Less : Current Liabilities & Provisions 144.84 130.10 76.99 51.39 70.34
Total Net Current Assets 205.18 97.97 84.28 68.45 52.78
Miscellaneous expenses not written 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 10.22
Total 384.37 239.14 203.99 189.47 184.87
Note :     
Book Value of Unquoted Investments 15.72 15.72 15.75 9.46 5.23
Market Value of Quoted Investments 4.34 20.64 10.42 11.41 7.92
Contingent liabilities 24.95 21.76 13.09 6.78 11.00
Number of Equity shares outstanding (in Lacs) 113.88 113.88 113.88 113.88 113.88

Income Statement

Amara Raja Batteries Ltd. : Income Statement

You can view the Income statement for the last 5 years.

(Rs in Cr.)

Income :     
Operating Income 602.48 396.96 237.79 177.60 173.61

Expenses     
Material Consumed 382.97 224.81 133.22 83.55 81.04
Manufacturing Expenses 19.58 11.85 7.76 7.55 6.54
Personnel Expenses 32.79 24.34 18.52 16.25 16.81
Selling Expenses 53.01 38.06 25.49 22.86 10.18
Adminstrative Expenses 21.35 45.57 28.77 25.58 26.65
Expenses Capitalised 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00

Cost Of Sales 509.70 344.61 213.75 155.80 141.21

Operating Profit 92.78 52.35 24.04 21.80 32.40

Other Recurring Income 1.06 1.24 1.63 1.86 1.06

Adjusted PBDIT 93.85 53.59 25.67 23.67 33.46

Financial Expenses 4.73 1.34 0.14 0.18 0.38
Depreciation 17.00 14.70 13.63 12.31 11.70
Other Write offs 0.00 0.00 0.00 10.22 10.22

Adjusted PBT 72.11 37.55 11.89 0.97 11.16

Tax Charges 23.71 13.12 4.55 0.26 4.33

Adjusted PAT 48.40 24.43 7.35 0.71 6.83
Non Recurring Items -1.30 -0.60 0.12 -0.08 0.00
Other Non Cash adjustments -0.06 0.02 1.22 0.76 0.57

Reported Net Profit 47.04 23.85 8.69 1.39 7.40

Earnigs Before Appropriation 121.95 80.53 59.94 53.28 54.19

Equity Dividend 3.99 2.85 2.28 1.71 1.71
Preference Dividend 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Dividend Tax 0.68 0.40 0.32 0.22 0.22
Retained Earnings 117.28 77.29 57.34 51.35 52.26

Ratios

PER SHARE RATIOS     

Adjusted E P S (Rs.) 42.51 21.45 6.45 0.62 6.00
Adjusted Cash EPS (Rs.) 57.44 34.36 18.42 20.40 25.24
Reported EPS (Rs.) 41.31 20.94 7.63 1.22 6.50
Reported Cash EPS (Rs.) 56.24 33.85 19.60 21.00 25.75
Dividend Per Share 3.50 2.50 2.00 1.50 1.50
Operating Profit Per Share (Rs.) 81.48 45.97 21.11 19.15 28.45
Book Value (Excl Rev Res) Per Share (Rs.) 213.98 176.76 158.67 153.32 144.82
Book Value (Incl Rev Res) Per Share (Rs.) 213.98 176.76 158.67 153.32 144.82
Net Operating Income Per Share (Rs.) 529.07 348.59 208.82 155.96 152.46
Free Reserves Per Share (Rs.) 203.98 166.76 148.67 143.32 134.82

PROFITABILITY RATIOS     

Operating Margin (%) 15.40 13.18 10.10 12.27 18.66
Gross Profit Margin (%) 12.57 9.48 4.37 5.34 11.92
Net Profit Margin (%) 7.79 5.98 3.62 0.77 4.23
Adjusted Cash Margin (%) 10.83 9.82 8.76 12.94 16.45
Adjusted Return On Net Worth (%) 19.86 12.13 4.06 0.40 4.14
Reported Return On Net Worth (%) 19.30 11.84 4.80 0.79 4.48
Return On long Term Funds (%) 25.79 17.36 6.12 0.61 6.27

LEVERAGE RATIOS     

Long Term Debt / Equity 0.22 0.11 0.08 0.05 0.04
Total Debt/Equity 0.57 0.18 0.12 0.08 0.05
Owners fund as % of total Source 63.39 84.16 88.57 92.14 94.73
Fixed Assets Turnover Ratio 2.34 2.08 1.42 1.12 1.15

LIQUIDITY RATIOS     

Current Ratio 2.42 1.75 2.09 2.33 1.75
Current Ratio (Inc. ST Loans) 1.10 1.42 1.76 1.99 1.70
Quick Ratio 1.78 1.31 1.52 1.72 1.33
Inventory Turnover Ratio 9.09 8.67 6.64 7.26 7.48

PAYOUT RATIOS     

Dividend payout Ratio (Net Profit) 9.91 13.61 29.88 138.65 26.03
Dividend payout Ratio (Cash Profit) 7.28 8.42 11.63 8.05 6.57
Earning Retention Ratio 90.37 86.72 64.65 -171.69 71.78
Cash Earnings Retention Ratio 92.88 91.71 87.63 91.71 93.30

COVERAGE RATIOS     

Adjusted Cash Flow Time Total Debt 2.15 0.96 1.11 0.64 0.33
Financial Charges Coverage Ratio 19.83 39.89 177.22 134.90 88.56
Fin. Charges Cov.Ratio (Post Tax) 14.53 29.69 155.10 137.31 78.61

COMPONENT RATIOS     

Material Cost Component(% earnings) 66.58 57.68 59.01 47.67 47.21
Selling Cost Component 8.79 9.58 10.71 12.87 5.86
Exports as percent of Total Sales 4.76 7.82 6.12 6.23 2.58
Import Comp. in Raw Mat. Consumed 51.13 63.46 69.30 73.79 68.43
Long term assets / Total Assets 0.33 0.38 0.42 0.50 0.49
Bonus Component In Equity Capital (%) 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00

Cash flow statement

(Rs in Cr.)

Profit Before Tax 71.20 37.35 13.58 1.15 11.73
Net CashFlow-Operating Activity -37.57 26.64 6.68 6.43 22.66
Net Cash Used In Investing Activity -54.28 -34.99 -11.53 -9.72 -9.59
NetCash Used in Fin. Activity 96.92 11.96 6.53 3.22 -7.62
Net Inc/Dec In Cash And Equivlnt 5.08 3.61 1.68 -0.07 5.45
Cash And Equivalnt Begin of Year 20.52 16.91 15.23 15.30 9.86
Cash And Equivalnt End Of Year 25.60 20.52 16.91 15.23 15.30

Quarterly results

(Rs in Cr.)

Dec ' 07 Sep ' 07 Jun ' 07 Mar ' 07 Dec ' 06 

Sales 307.88 256.17 214.60 193.60 146.26
Other Income 5.90 3.49 2.80 3.26 1.79
Stock Adjustment -10.28 -19.68 -36.07 -1.66 -1.37
Raw Material 219.07 187.59 177.28 127.24 96.67
Power And Fuel 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Employee Expenses 10.43 9.84 9.91 5.81 6.53
Excise 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Admin And Selling Expenses 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Research And Devlopment Expenses 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Expenses Capitalised 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Other Expeses 37.26 41.87 31.42 37.05 26.08
Provisions Made 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Operating Profit 51.40 36.55 32.06 25.18 18.35
Interest 3.58 2.72 1.73 1.13 0.74
Gross Profit 53.72 37.32 33.12 27.31 19.39
Depreciation 6.20 5.87 5.66 4.96 4.37
Taxation 17.86 10.84 9.56 6.86 5.34
Net Profit / Loss 29.66 20.62 17.91 15.49 9.68
Extra Ordinary Item 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Prior Year Adjustments 0.00 0.00 0.00 -0.26 0.00

Equity Capital 11.39 11.39 11.39 11.39 11.39
Equity Dividend Rate 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Agg.Of Non-Prom. Shares (in lacs) 273.30 273.30 54.66 54.66 54.66
Agg.Of Non PromotoHolding(%) 48.00 48.00 48.00 48.00 48.00
OPM(%) 16.69 14.26 14.93 13.00 12.54
GPM(%) 17.11 14.37 15.23 13.87 13.09
NPM(%) 9.45 7.94 8.23 7.86 6.53
EPS (in Rs.) 5.21 3.62 3.14 2.72 1.70

Date Posted: 13/Apr/2008 at 9:26pm
Excellent company. JC's track record for investor friendliness is excellent. They have expanded turnover year on year for 58 years running. They have increased dividend payment year on year for more than 30 years at a stretch.

stocks like AB, exide, Asahi, Castrol are in those segment of auto ancilliaries whose consumption will only increase. personally speaking, I feel this stock makes a great buy.

Date Posted: 13/Apr/2008 at 11:24pm
Net Cash Flow Operating Activity and
Net Cash Used In Investing Activity are negative.

What does one make of this?

Date Posted: 13/Apr/2008 at 5:47am
Electric bikes will be good for battery makes. In battery business, collection of old batteries is important for recovery of lead. In long term Amararaja's stratagic steps for pitstops will help in raw material cost.

Date Posted: 13/Apr/2008 at 7:18am
Anyone has idea about business mix of Amar Raja from Automotive & Industrial sectors?

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Apr/2008 at 11:17am
http://rapidshare.com/files/107325666/Amara_Raja_-_Investment_Idea_230108.pdf.html - here 's the link to a report on amararaja batteries

Date Posted: 26/May/2008 at 12:41pm
Amara Raja Batteries unveils VRLA technology for two wheelers

Amara Raja Batteries
entered the two wheeler battery segment with the launch of Amaron pro bike rider 2-wheeler batteries, powered by VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) technology from JCI customized by Amara Raja`s R&D for the Indian markets. Offering the most powerful performance at 30% higher cranking power than the best in the market, Amaron pro bike rider comes with the first ever 60 month warranty.

Click http://www.myiris.com/rss_index.php?fileR=2008/05/26/20080526181225193 - here to read the rest....

Date Posted: 26/May/2008 at 11:08am
Amara Raja gears up for battery-driven car markets

Amara Raja Batteries Ltd is gearing up for an era of battery-powered http://news.moneycontrol.com/mccode/news/article/news_article.php?autono=339748# -

True, the market for battery-driven cars is practically non-existent in India, but that will change. Vehicle manufacturers will come up with hybrid versions and those cars will need batteries.

Read report http://news.moneycontrol.com/mccode/news/article/news_article.php?autono=339748 - here.

Date Posted: 25/Jun/2008 at 12:32pm
Amara Raja Batteries Q4 net jumps 71.93%, 1:2 bonus announced

Amara Raja Batteries reported a 71.94% increase in its fourth-quarter earnings at Rs 261.84 million compared with Rs 152.29 million in the corresponding quarter, a year ago.

Net sales rose 57.37% to Rs 3,046.80 million for the fourth quarter ended Mar. 31, 2008 as against Rs 1,936.04 million in the corresponding quarter, a year ago.

Total income also rose 61.59% to Rs 3,181.04 million, up from Rs 1,968.63 million in the fourth quarter, a year ago.

The basic EPS after extraordinary items stood at Rs 4.60 for the quarter ended March 2008.

Quarterly Results - Standalone (Rs in mn)
As at Mar - 08 Mar - 07 %Change
Net Sales 3046.80 1936.04 57.37
Net Profit 261.84 152.29 71.93
Basic EPS 4.60 - -

The board of directors of company, at its meeting held on Jun. 24, 2008, has recommended issue of bonus share to the shareholders in the ratio of 1:2, i.e. one share for every two shares held subject to the approvals.

The board also recommended a dividend of 35% or Rs 0.70 per share of Rs 2 each subject to the approval of the shareholders

Date Posted: 29/Jun/2008 at 12:15pm
http://www.keralanext.com/news/?id=134268114 - Amara Raja, Exide Industries post higher net profit

The city-based Amara Raja Batteries Ltd has declared net sales of Rs.10.8 billion for 2007-08, up from Rs.5.95 billion of the previous fiscal.

The company's net profit was around Rs.943 million for the period under review compared to Rs.470.44 million in 2006-07.

Another leading battery manufacturer, Exide Industries Ltd, posted net sales of Rs.28.44 billion for fiscal 2008 against Rs.18.7 billion of the previous fiscal.

Exide's net profit for the period under review was Rs.2.50 billion, up from Rs.1.55 billion in the previous year.

The company has attributed 50 percent of the topline growth to the price hike (of lead).

While it is safer to invest in sector leaders (Exide, in this case) during a downturn, the Number Two seems to be trying harder and succeeding. Moreover Amararaja's valuations are lower than that of Exide.
While Exide is available at a P/E of 17, Amararaja is available at a P/E of 9 though the former has investments in ING Vysya insurance company.

My question is: why is the market giving such high valuations to Exide when the Number Two is clearly well managed and hungry to grow?

Date Posted: 29/Jun/2008 at 12:24pm
what is the roe and roce also what is the average growth rate for the two companies?

-------------

Posted By: vijaygawde
Date Posted: 29/Jun/2008 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by shivkumar

http://www.keralanext.com/news/?id=134268114 - Amara Raja, Exide Industries post higher net profit
My question is: why is the market giving such high valuations to Exide when the Number Two is clearly well managed and hungry to grow?

One of the reasons could be Exide's investment in its subsidiaries:

50% shareholding of ING Vysya Life Insurance

- 100% subsidiary http://www.alibaba.com/member/caldyne.html -

Date Posted: 29/Jun/2008 at 12:46pm
Angel Broking's views on Exide: "It is a fundamentally sound company, with Operating Margins of around 15% and has been consistently clocking RoE and RoCE of above 20% over the last three years."

Amararaja Batteries OPM as on December 07 quarter is 16.69 %
ROCE 19.75 per cent

Posted By: balloon
Date Posted: 14/Aug/2008 at 4:03pm
The company posed poor first quarter numbers. and if one were to look at its annual report...its even worse. The company is running a big risk of things going awry for it.....on the working capital / funds mgmt front. hope they ride the tide well.....

Posted By: praveen
Date Posted: 09/Jan/2009 at 6:24pm
Just did the initial study. Looks a reasonable bet to make.
CMP around BV. Innovative company fighting with incumbant market leader Exide industries. Have already made a name for itself. JV with Johnson controls provides a lot of comfort in these time of crisis.

Only concern is amount of debt on the books, effect of which is yet to felt. I think current quater would show the impact of slowdown as well as higher funding cost.

I hope management pays down debt with all the cash generated by the business. If that happens company would create a lot of value by paying down that debt.

-------------
The quest for knowledge is a never ending Journey

Date Posted: 20/Mar/2009 at 1:28pm

Did some digging on the company.

2 Concerns.
------------------
1.  In 2001 companies stock was manipulated by stock brokers. Couple of them were penalized by SEBI. It gave a clean chit to the promoters. To be fair to them they did not sell a single share during the run-up. Can anyone shed some light on the management.

2. There is a case pending between Amara raja and IFCI regarding issue of some equity shares against a loan which it took in 1990s. Company has repaid the loan but IFCI believes it is entitled to some equity. Can someone shed some more light on this issue.

-------------

Posted By: valuepicks
Date Posted: 24/Mar/2009 at 3:14pm

Even I am curious on this company.

From the financials available at moneycontrol, it looks like Amararaja Batteries has been growing at a faster rate than Exide. Amararaja - ranging 50-80%, Exide - 35 - 55%.

While Exide is available at a higher PE, Amararaja looks very attractive - both from PE as well as EPS. Amararaja PE - 3.73 vs. 11.43 for exide. Amararaja EPS - 9.2 vs. 3.49 for Exide.

I understand that Exide has a face value of 1 and Amararaja - 2. OPMs are more or less the same - about 17% - for both the companies.

As someone here raised a concern around Amararaja's high debt, i noticed that they had around 300+ cr on debt. This is almost equal to their reserves. Exide is comparatively comfortably placed on debt. This is as per the last year's balance sheets. But usually a debt-equity ratio below 1 would not be an alarming situation, to what I understand.

Considering the above facts, I am tempted to add Amararaja to my portfolio.

Can someone please let me know if the above fact finding is accurate and would advise on how Amararaja scores over Exide over management quality or other qualitative aspects that I might not have considered?

Date Posted: 24/Mar/2009 at 4:50pm
Amararaja Batteries has been ramping up capacities and hence the higher debt. The company has entered into the battery segment for mobile phone towers and electric bikes.

On the other hand Exide's valuations are higher because of its stake in the ING Vysia Insurance company.

Personally, I am bullish on amararaja batteries because of its excellent play in retailing batteries. It has been ramping up battery outlets under the name powerzone across southern India and sri lanka.

Date Posted: 24/Mar/2009 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by shivkumar

Personally, I am bullish on amararaja batteries because of its excellent play in retailing batteries. It has been ramping up battery outlets under the name powerzone across southern India and sri lanka.

Question is do the kind of batteries amara raja sells fall under B2C segment. Does buying  batteries require so much individual involment that it requires a retail outlet

-------------

Date Posted: 24/Mar/2009 at 5:31pm
Why not Exide? Good RoE, smart smnagement leaders in the segment does anyone have an idea which battery Nano uses?

But Exide has a worthless invetsment of 49% in an insurance company and that is bad!

-------------

Date Posted: 24/Mar/2009 at 5:33pm
Amararaja management is good. Technology is also good.

e-bikes is external factor and is going to change the game the way we travel in India. I was waiting for an e-bike that travels at 50km/hr. I checked with an unlisted company and they are coming out with one. IMO 50/hr bike is game changer. And fun part is e-bikes need new batteries faster than car or regular bikes. Think abt e-bike population after 5 years. And batteries that they need every 1.5 years. Math is mind boggling. Lets see how successful Amararaja is in e-bike batteries.

For comparison china sold 20 million e-bikes/year in 2006.

Date Posted: 24/Mar/2009 at 5:34pm
nano uses exide. company has had to slash its costs sharply for nano. could affect margins. on the other hand amararaja has a deal with maruti. but when auto companies force ancillary suppliers to cut costs even amararaja will get hit.

But the positive side is Amararaja is concentrating heavily on the replacement market. hence the thrust on customer interface.

Date Posted: 24/Mar/2009 at 5:44pm
Ancilliaries always get their arm twisted.

-------------

Date Posted: 24/Mar/2009 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by basant

Why not Exide? Good RoE, smart smnagement leaders in the segment does anyone have an idea which battery Nano uses?

But Exide has a worthless invetsment of 49% in an insurance company and that is bad!

Its one of the most inefficient companies according to a friend who went there for summers couple of yrs ago. They generate that high ROE% from their market penetration. Its a matter of time when that moat begins to loose its shine

-------------

Date Posted: 26/Mar/2009 at 1:29pm
A few days ago, someone dropped a Amararaja flyer at my home. It basically had some information on retail products. I felt it was a good move to try and penetrate where Exide currently scores better.

Amararaja, which is a 20+ yrs company seems to be challenging the leader, which was in this business for over 60 yrs.

Nice to see inputs from other members on how Amararaja is slowly making in roads.

Date Posted: 26/Mar/2009 at 4:14pm
they have certainly become aggressive. the company is aggressively targetting the unorganized battery sector. However during an economic downturn, people will turn more and more to the unorganized sector to trim costs even the quality of the end product is much poorer.

Both Exide and Amararaja have taken to buying used batteries in a bid to choke raw material supply to the hole-in-the-wall operators. 

Posted By: NagarajB
Date Posted: 30/Jul/2009 at 10:05pm
Where is amararaja headed? It gained 45 % over last couple of weeks?

-------------
Regards,
Nagaraj

Date Posted: 31/Jul/2009 at 4:38pm
NagarajB,

This actually turned out to be a 4 bagger since March. Don't know where it is headed. But I believe it is good to hold for longer term. Automobile replacement market will drive some of its growth. btw, batteries are being used to power cell towers, power stations etc., So, this story is not just auto ancillary story.

Shivkumarji, thanks for your inputs. I am fortunate to have made a small investment in Amararaja.

Date Posted: 31/Jul/2009 at 4:50pm
this story is intact. however right now, the stock is looking over valued. will add on declines though.

Date Posted: 08/Sep/2009 at 5:40pm
Chinese lead smelters are spreading lead poisoning and many smelters are forced to closed down by Govt. China is the largest lead producer. Lead prices have spiked since then and unlikely to decline anytime soon. This poisoning problem takes time to resolve.

In long term it doesn't matter much but in next couple of Qs their result will be better due to additional inventory profit. Their volume growth should be 20+.

Date Posted: 19/Sep/2009 at 11:49pm
in telecom amara raja is still a numero uno in quality and support.

it is prefered over exide even though exide has been  trying to enter the segment for so many years, may be since last 7 years.

-------------

Posted By: neerajlulla
Date Posted: 20/Sep/2009 at 10:49pm
METAL PRICES ARE MOVING TO HIGHER ZONE HOW CAN THIS COMPANY MAKE HIGHER MARGIN?

-------------
buy and forget for long term

Date Posted: 24/Sep/2009 at 6:57pm
Just a related topic...

Many analysts believe electric cars will begin http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/14/technology/keegan_battery.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2009041516 - replacing internal combustion engines, refueling with nuclear or renewable-generated electricity as the world becomes more concerned with global warming.

As the battery is the most expensive component in an electric car, the thinking goes that whoever controls the battery market may ultimately control the auto industry.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/24/news/companies/a123_ipo/index.htm?postversion=2009092406 - http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/24/news/companies/a123_ipo/index.htm?postversion=2009092406

Posted By: somu0915
Date Posted: 07/Oct/2009 at 12:53pm
Thanks for that article

Posted By: somu0915
Date Posted: 07/Oct/2009 at 1:43am
Is there any company in india which produces electric car batteries?

Print Page | Close Window