Print Page | Close Window

Think Tanks, Think Sintex

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios!
Forum Name: Emerging companies - Mid caps that can become large cap
Forum Discription: These are companies operating in growing markets having have certain niches or specific attributes like new sector plays. These are emerging multibaggers with high risks and high rewards.
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1592
Printed Date: 28/Apr/2024 at 4:11am

Topic: Think Tanks, Think Sintex
Posted By: smartcat
Subject: Think Tanks, Think Sintex
Date Posted: 15/Feb/2008 at 5:00pm

Emkay has initiated coverage on Sintex Industries (CMP: Rs. 452, Market Cap Rs. 5,000 Crores)

FY07 Results:

Net Revenues: Rs. 1,165 Crores
EBIDTA: Rs. 222 Crores
Net Profits: Rs. 133 Crores 
EPS: Rs. 12
RoE: 24.7%
P/E(x): 37

FY10 Earnings Estimates:

Net Revenues: Rs. 4,355 crores
EBIDTA: Rs. 892 Crores
Net Profits: Rs. 603 crores
EPS: Rs. 40
RoE: 18.7%
P/E(x): 12

Excerpts from the report:

Sintex Industries Ltd. (SIL) is a Gujarat based company having businesses in:

(a) Plastics which contributes about 70% of the total revenues, and
(b) Textiles contributing 30% of the total revenues.

The company manufactures a range of plastic products and industrial custom moulding products. Having pioneered the concept of plastic water tanks (60% of market share) in India, SIL has moved to providing innovative products with emphasis on technology catering to infrastructure development like prefab, monolithic structures for housing and custom moldings for automobiles & power sectors.

In the textile segment, the company is primarily engaged in the manufacture of fabric for premium retail garmenting and industrial fabric, positioned as value-added products compared to volume driven products. Its product mix in textiles comprise yarn-dyed structured fabrics & design based ready made garments.

I just wish the other 30% revenues came from anything other than textiles.

Replies:
Posted By: nitin_jagtap
Date Posted: 15/Feb/2008 at 5:04pm
Cat this is another solid company just like their tanks ...equitymaster has been covering this stock for more than 18 months. Management was earlier not very focussed now they have come back with new vigour.

PS : I hold this stock

-------------
Warm REgards
Nitin Jagtap

Date Posted: 15/Feb/2008 at 5:14pm

Equitymaster Estimates:

FY10E Revenues: Rs. 2,500 crores
FY10E Net Profits: Rs. 360 crores

But Equitymaster research reports should only be read for the content - not for earnings estimates. Their estimates are extremely conservative.

Regarding Sintex, along with usual concerns like textile business, competition from small scale industries, rise in input costs (petroleum based) etc, I am concerned about the poor quality of Sintex's website design. People should not be allowed to run a business if they can't design a proper website Geek

Date Posted: 15/Feb/2008 at 5:21pm
True eqm is quite conservative in estimates , on one hand thats the way an analyst should work when writing a report , you cant take everything on face value in a conf call with the management.Its better to discount some parts of it.

Yes website design is something I also pay lot of importance to and also mentioned this in another thread (cant remember which one) but if the management isnt tech savy I am afraid we have to live with it.

-------------
Warm REgards
Nitin Jagtap

Posted By: basant
Date Posted: 15/Feb/2008 at 5:38pm
We will keep this under the Emerging companies section. SmartCat can you edit that first post and include parameters like CMP, Mkt Cap, growth rates etc -> in TED format!

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 15/Feb/2008 at 6:52pm
Interesting. The issue with Sintex is their main products aren't consumable type.

See SmartCat... when I referred you as HNI it also meant Having Numerous stock Ideas.

-------------
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards

Posted By: tigershark
Date Posted: 15/Feb/2008 at 8:49pm
do high rise apts built by dlf and brigade grp for ex put sintex tanks on top? and what would be the churn ratefor onre tank 10-20 yrs? is this business similair to suitcase business?

-------------
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things

Date Posted: 15/Feb/2008 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by tigershark

is this business similair to suitcase business?

Which suitcase? The one carried by the Late Narsimha Rao to Mr. Phatak or the one used by VIPs? Both look like scams...but it's not proven yet.

-------------

Posted By: swapan
Date Posted: 15/Feb/2008 at 11:03pm
I have been extremely bullish on this stock for a long time and one of my 5 major picks that had not been discussed on TED. This has been Sandeep Sabharwals major pick for a long time.

Sintex is not only about tanks. Infact their tank business grew just 6% y-o-y. This is more about prefabricated plastics, custom molding, composites and high end textiles.

It is an excellent proxy for telecom, power sector and possibly housing,  infrastructure in future. They are a market leader in prefabricated plastic shelters in these industries and so a great proxy to these industries. 

Their annual report is worth reading. It has a picture of the low cost house they designed, which is extremely impressive. The house can be assembled at a fraction of the cost and time with something built from traditional materials.

http://www.sintex.in/pdf/Sintex-annual-report.pdf - http://www.sintex.in/pdf/Sintex-annual-report.pdf

They have a large order from Gujarat government which intends to use it as slum replacement. I think this has the potential to be replicated across India.

The management is extremely innovative and has steered the company impressively. They are among the few textile companies who have managed double digit growth again by following a novel strategy. They have focussed on high end designer stuff in which competition from China is minimal. 

Another focus is composites. Composites is a high growth industry globally, with thrust to shift to lighter materials. Even in developed markets growth should stay above 20% for the forseeable future. I think they have done well by making the right acquisitions in US.

Business Standard article gives information on company strategy.
http://www.business-standard.com/common/storypage.php?autono=306166&leftnm=0&subLeft=0&chkFlg - http://www.business-standard.com/common/storypage.php?autono=306166&leftnm=0&subLeft=0&chkFlg =
I paste the equitymaster projections (though I concur with the above opinion that equitymaster has only to be read for content and not projections. Nevertheless I think they are useful since they are usually conservative and gives some benchmark).

Valuations at a glance
(Rs m) FY07 FY08E FY09E FY10E
Net sales 11,653 15,408 19,859 25,308
Net profit 1,328 1,910 2,496 3,300
Fully diluted EPS (Rs) 11.1 16.0 20.9 27.7
Price to earnings (x) 26.6 18.5 14.2 10.7
Price to sales (x) 3.0 2.3 1.8 1.4
Price to book value (x) 4.9 3.4 2.8 2.3

At this price despite the correction, there may be a bit of froth. But long term it is a great stock to own given its visionary management, high innovative content and high entry barriers that come with it, and a proxy for many of the high growth industries today. 

Date Posted: 15/Feb/2008 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by swapan

I have been extremely bullish on this stock for a long time and one of my 5 major picks that had not been discussed on TED. This has been Sandeep Sabharwals major pick for a long time.

Swapanji Which are the  4 other picks that arent discussed on TED ?

-------------
Warm REgards
Nitin Jagtap

Date Posted: 15/Feb/2008 at 12:11pm
Nitinji,

Sorry I confused you. Of my top picks, Sintex was the only one NOT discussed here. Others have been Reliance, 3i infotech, Voltas, Bartronics, Axis.

I entered Axis after being convinced reading all the material posted by Basantji. So that is thanks to TED.

Bartronics has got some very valid criticism from many members. But I still feel the enormity of opportunity provides managment to make lot of mistakes and still succeed.

Posted By: India_Bull
Date Posted: 15/Feb/2008 at 12:16pm
Sandeep Sabarwal  is quite bullish on this stock, such stks can only be bought at the times of correction. How many times do you replace tanks in the life time of the building ? A good example for Pick- Axe theme for the infra boom in the country but if someone is looking at concentrated portfolio many other alternatives available 

-------------
India_Bull forever Bull !
www.kapilcomedynights.com

Posted By: manishdave
Date Posted: 15/Feb/2008 at 1:22am

Actually it was discussed on TED sometimes back. I held it for 4+ years and It had huge run. Right now I am out of it because of valuation. Would love to enter if it comes to my comfort zone.

After I purchased I asked RD just to get attention for this stock. I had asked twice.

http://www.rediff.com/chat/trans/1208ts.htm - http://www.rediff.com/chat/trans/1208ts.htm

After that Q sharekhan covered it had had few back-to-back circuits.

http://ia.rediff.com/chat/trans/1908ts.htm - http://ia.rediff.com/chat/trans/1908ts.htm

Few missing points so far on this company -
1. Petroleum storage tank business,
2. Engineering grade plastic can be big business, particularly in auto.
3. Their aquisitions .

Soros group had 35% stake but bought it early and sold it early.

P.S. Manishes are in majority here and other Manish may say that it was him on that Chat. I have no arguments for that.

Date Posted: 15/Feb/2008 at 7:36am
Originally posted by manishdave

P.S. Manishes are in majority here and other Manish may say that it was him on that Chat. I have no arguments for that.

LOL ha ha ha!! Kya baat hain!

Having said that, it has been seen that Manishs are usually gentlemen & don't get involved in unnecessary arguments. Of course there could be few exceptions.

-------------

Date Posted: 15/Feb/2008 at 8:14am
I suggest the title of this thread be changes as it is misleading and reinforces the common misperception people have about Sintex. They associate it only with Tanks, whereas it is now a proxy for several high growth industry.

Date Posted: 15/Feb/2008 at 8:30am

I suggest the title of this thread be changes as it is misleading and reinforces the common misperception people have about Sintex. They associate it only with Tanks, whereas it is now a proxy for several high growth industry.

If people associate word tank with stock price, it is even more misperception. Nowadays that is what mind wants to inerpret word tank related to stock.

Date Posted: 15/Feb/2008 at 8:33am

If people associate word tank with stock price, it is even more misperception. Nowadays that is what mind wants to inerpret word tank related to stock.

LOL ha ha ha Clap

Manish Dave jee is in full mood these days.

-------------

Date Posted: 15/Feb/2008 at 9:13am
Originally posted by kulman

LOL ha ha ha Clap

Manish Dave jee is in full mood these days.

When you get too much sugar you get hyper. Pun intended. 

Date Posted: 16/Feb/2008 at 4:39pm
Swapan, thanks for putting the link on Sintex annual report. I was barking up the wrong tree - looking at http://www.sintex-india.com - www.sintex-india.com and http://www.sintex-plastics.com - www.sintex-plastics.com rather than http://www.sintex.in - www.sintex.in .

See SmartCat... when I referred you as HNI it also meant Having Numerous stock Ideas.

Oh OK then its fine. I thought you were referring to the other HNIs - Hopelessly Naive Investors. These guys shot to prominence during the Reliance Power IPO.

Posted By: Vivek Sukhani
Date Posted: 16/Feb/2008 at 6:33pm
Hum Nahi Investors??????

Posted By: omshivaya
Date Posted: 16/Feb/2008 at 7:27pm
Hum Naughty Investors
Hum Namakool Investors
Hum Nikamme Investors

-------------
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it

Posted By: KACHAM
Date Posted: 16/Feb/2008 at 8:52pm

Bartronics has got some very valid criticism from many members. But I still feel the enormity of opportunity provides managment to make lot of mistakes and still succeed.

I second that and my portfolio reflects my conviction on bartronics.

It has a huge potential and in next two yeara both topline and bottom lineshould be increaded by 3 times.

coming to sintex Iam glad to know the whole info on the company

-------------
Jai Telangana, Jai Jai Telangana

Date Posted: 16/Feb/2008 at 10:43pm
I think Ambarish Baliga is quite bullish on this stock. Dont know his latest views on this.A very good example of Pick-Axe theory for the retail revolution in the country. But somehow heard from my friends about management quality not that gr8 to take this company further and there are no entry barriers as well. Anyways this is my personal opinion.

-------------

Date Posted: 16/Feb/2008 at 10:58pm
before posting messages, look at the thread's topic. Even if you want to type anything, at least mention the name of the company you are talking about.Ambarish Balliga is bullish on bartronics or sintex?

Date Posted: 16/Feb/2008 at 11:03pm
Oh Vivekjee..

Sorry, thanks will keep in mind

Ambarish Baliga- Bartronics
Sandeep Sabarwal- Sintex

-------------

Posted By: PKB2000
Date Posted: 19/Aug/2008 at 11:47am
Future and options have not shown much impact on stock. and the price is just around 5% higher than one month back.
Is it the timee to take some quantity?
I think so

-------------
I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

Posted By: siddharth
Date Posted: 11/Sep/2008 at 3:31am
SINTEX

EPS

FY01 2.505
FY02 2.640
FY03 3.031
FY04 4.645
FY05 7.142
FY06 9.951
FY07 12.146
FY08 18.353

A great consistent growth record, and this company is now quoting at a trailing pe of 16 with a leading pe of 11.6
est peg ratio .31

Of the 10 top brokerage houses (including likes of Goldman, clsa,ubs,jpmorgan.edlweiss).. all 10 have buy recommendation with an average target price of INR 488.

Date Posted: 11/Sep/2008 at 6:47am
Can you indicate the RoE and Debt levels also. Seems interesting.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: jain208
Date Posted: 12/Sep/2008 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by basant

Can you indicate the RoE and Debt levels also. Seems interesting.

All the important ratios are given http://finance.livemint.com/Research.asp?pageName=FundaReports&ReportType=Ratio&CompanyCode=17010001&CompanyName=Sintex+Industries+Ltd%2E&Ticker=Sintex+Inds&MajorSector= - here

-------------
=======================================
The more it changes, the more it’s the same thing.

Posted By: abhishekbasu
Date Posted: 12/Sep/2008 at 4:14pm
RoNW is around 14.78% and has reduced from around 20% in the last two years. Also, with construction sector under pressure, the revenues may be impacted in the next 2-3 years.

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2008 at 8:08pm
15% operating RoE isn't a great thing!

-------------

Posted By: praveen
Date Posted: 13/Sep/2008 at 1:19pm

Something doesn't feel right.  Both margins & asset turnover has been improving over the years incl. 2008. Inspite of that such significant drop in ROE. I don't even see a drop in leverage. So what might be the reason for the drop in ROE?

There is significant jump in Book Value in FY-08.

Only conclusion I can draw all this information(assuming all of it is correct)
is they did a private placement in DEC/JAN/FEB at a significant premium. And because of that extra equity the ROE is less. If thats the only case then over the next 2 years the ROE should move upwards again as they use the cash effectively.

-------------
The quest for knowledge is a never ending Journey

Date Posted: 13/Sep/2008 at 1:55pm
Good observation.

-------------

Posted By: amaani
Date Posted: 13/Sep/2008 at 3:36pm
Sintex cannot become a multibagger in the short time.  Sintex has several competition and their textile growth is not exhaustive. 

Posted By: kumardiwesh
Date Posted: 13/Sep/2008 at 7:59pm
Yes...Praveen is right.
Their equity base has gone up substantially, negating improvements in the other two factors.

-------------
"History does not tell you the probability of future financial things happening" - Warren Buffett

Date Posted: 15/Sep/2008 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by praveen

Only conclusion I can draw all this information(assuming all of it is correct)
is they did a private placement in DEC/JAN/FEB at a significant premium. And because of that extra equity the ROE is less. If thats the only case then over the next 2 years the ROE should move upwards again as they use the cash effectively.

You are bang on target about this one, they issues 12.54 million shares in 2/08 at  INR 470 per share!

I think this stock demands more serious prodding at the CMP

Date Posted: 15/Sep/2008 at 11:54pm

Sintex Industries Ltd has informed BSE that pursuant to the approval of the shareholders of the Company at the Extra Ordinary General Meeting of the Company held on December 24, 2007, the Committee of Directors at its meeting held on February 11, 2008, has allotted 12542553 equity shares of Rs 2/- each of the Company to Qualified Institutional Buyers.

Sorry for this font size!

Posted By: kanagala
Date Posted: 01/Oct/2008 at 1:52am
Suddenly most of the brokerages came up with buy reports on Sintex. They are pointing Monolihic structures as a new big opportunity which finds application low cost construction. Any one familiar with these.

-------------
While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.

Date Posted: 02/Oct/2008 at 1:16pm
From EQM's 28 May report::

Monolithic and prefabs: The growth in Sintex’s monolithic and prefab businesses is expected mainly on the back of the government’s focus on universal education and housing. Need for providing education to more and more children and creation of quality yet cost effective infrastructure
(classrooms), combined with construction of quality houses at much lower cost and in much lesser time than traditional concrete houses, are expected to be the biggest drivers for Sintex’s prefab business in the future. Further, given that Sintex already has in place necessary approvals and product registrations with major states in the country, it has a head  start over competition. Simply put, monolithic construction is a substitute to conventional method of construction, and is cost effective and less
time consuming when it comes to mass housing schemes. Sintex  constructed nearly 1,500 low-income group houses for the
Ahmedabad Urban Development Authority in FY07. The management has also indicated that negotiations are on for similar assignments in Delhi, Chandigarh and other places in northern India. The current order
book of the company in the monolithic construction stands at Rs 17 bn, which is to be executed over a period of 2 to 3 years. A large part of this order book is one order from Gujarat Urban Development Company
for construction of 50,000 EWS (economically weaker section) quarters in
Ahmedabad, Baroda, Rajkot and Surat. As a matter of prudence and taking into account the execution risks, Sintex has stopped taking in further orders, as its hands are full with the existing orders.
In the plastics business, Sintex also specialises in offering BT (base terminal) shelters for telecom equipment, and is expected to benefit from the strong growth estimated in telecom infrastructure in the
country. Its acquisition of Zeppelin Mobile in FY07 has given it scale and execution capabilities from a market leadership position in the telecom shelter space. As a way of diversification, the company is now looking at the cold storage opportunity where it plans to set up warehouses for
agricultural companies going forward.

Date Posted: 10/Oct/2008 at 4:13pm

Excellent qtr results considering gloom and doom all around

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Oct/2008 at 5:16pm
From announcment to BSE:

Sintex Industries Ltd has announced the following Unaudited results for the quarter ended September 30, 2008:

The results for the Quarter ended September 30, 2008

The Company has posted a net profit of Rs 682.415 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2008 as compared to Rs 419.845 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2007. Total Income has increased from Rs 3286.10 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2007 to Rs 4635.834 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2008.

The Consolidated results are as follows:

The consolidated results for the Quarter ended September 30, 2008

The Group has posted a net profit of Rs 837.802 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2008 as compared to Rs 442.725 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2007. Total Income has increased from Rs 3976.633 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2007 to Rs 7560.686 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2008.

=========================================

Another interesting fact from their announcement:

"In the monolithic segment, the demand for low cost mass housing has been increasing significantly. Sintex's order book stands at Rs 15 billion (Rs 1500 Crores) in various projects ranging from slum development, police quarters and government quarters. This order book will be executed over FY09 and FY10."

-------------

Posted By: karthikr80
Date Posted: 06/Nov/2008 at 9:15am
http://myiris.com/shares/research/ESSBL/SININDUS_20081013.pdf

Seems like a good buy.

-------------
karthik

Date Posted: 22/Nov/2008 at 9:12am
whats going wrong with Sintex....is it a case of frustrated selling or expected hit due to real estate connection....

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Posted By: tigershark
Date Posted: 22/Nov/2008 at 10:26am
also dont forget the textile div which is in the direct line of fire

-------------
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things

Date Posted: 22/Nov/2008 at 10:34am
Originally posted by tigershark

also dont forget the textile div which is in the direct line of fire

Better explanation......

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Date Posted: 11/Jan/2009 at 9:53am
Looks like reasonable results

Sintex Industries Ltd has announced the following Unaudited results for the quarter ended December 31, 2008:

The results for the Quarter ended December 31, 2008

The Company has posted a net profit of Rs 630.457 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2008 as compared to Rs 553.773 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2007. Total Income has increased from Rs 3946.694 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2007 to Rs 5342.636 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2008.

The Consolidated results are as follows:

The consolidated results for the Quarter ended December 31, 2008

The Group has posted a net profit of Rs 708.436 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2008 as compared to Rs 585.175 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2007. Total Income has increased from Rs 6210.392 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2007 to Rs 8453.487 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2008.

-------------

Posted By: deveshkayal
Date Posted: 11/Jan/2009 at 9:58am
I think Q4 constitutes 35-40% of annual revenues. So lets see how it pans out.

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Posted By: Hitesh Shah
Date Posted: 11/Jan/2009 at 10:28am
Market is not happy though?

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Jan/2009 at 1:00pm
Does any one know the major competitors of sintex (across diff business units - Kaveri is competition in the tanks space in south india) ..recently visited the sintex stall in an exhibition on const materials ...the person at the sintex counter said their next competitor was 1/10th their size...does this translate into long term competitive advantage or some kind of uphanded monopoly.

-------------
Warm REgards
Nitin Jagtap

Posted By: Mr. V
Date Posted: 12/Jan/2009 at 10:30am

Actually it was discussed on TED sometimes back. I held it for 4+ years and It had huge run. Right now I am out of it because of valuation. Would love to enter if it comes to my comfort zone.

Manish Dave,

Is the CMP in your comfort zone ?

Date Posted: 12/Jan/2009 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Mr. V

Manish Dave,

Is the CMP in your comfort zone ?

Yes. It is in comfort zone.
What I am waiting for is segment wise result to see performance of plastic division.

Most of industrial product companies will have inventory price. But that problem is over. Besides that sintex is going to lose 50cr(one time loss) in next Q on German comapny.

But their product/brand are excellent and their financials are very healthy.

Date Posted: 12/Jan/2009 at 11:21am
Originally posted by nitin_jagtap

Does any one know the major competitors of sintex (across diff business units - Kaveri is competition in the tanks space in south india) ..recently visited the sintex stall in an exhibition on const materials ...the person at the sintex counter said their next competitor was 1/10th their size...does this translate into long term competitive advantage or some kind of uphanded monopoly.

Patton is a big group here in the east as far as plastic tank goes....

Sintex as far as tanks goes, is something like a Pidilite as far as adhesive goes. Sintex has a drag business like textiles, if I am not wrong, something like pidilite has in terms of industrial chemicals. Both depend on real estate, both have petchem inputs. Its can be PVC fopr sintex and VAM for pidilite. Both are iconic brands in India as far as their spaces go.

I think we need to have that troika of asian paints-Pidilite-Sintex in a portfolio.

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Date Posted: 13/Jan/2009 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Vivek Sukhani

Originally posted by nitin_jagtap

Patton is a big group here in the east as far as plastic tank goes....

Sintex as far as tanks goes, is something like a Pidilite as far as adhesive goes. Sintex has a drag business like textiles, if I am not wrong, something like pidilite has in terms of industrial chemicals. Both depend on real estate, both have petchem inputs. Its can be PVC fopr sintex and VAM for pidilite. Both are iconic brands in India as far as their spaces go.

I think we need to have that troika of asian paints-Pidilite-Sintex in a portfolio.

The textile business of Sintex is not a run-of-the-mill commodity textile business like Arvind Mills. They supply fabrics to fashion houses in Europe where the margins are relatively better.

The textile division manufactures and supplies structured fabrics to high-end fashion houses. As much as 70% of the total revenues of this business are derived from exports. The division caters to a niche segment of the fabric market (representing only 2.8% of the total fabrics sold in the world). Over the years, Sintex has maintained its focus on these niche markets and today has alliances with some of the best fashion design houses in Europe and India. Its joint venture with Canclini has been the primary volume driver for the company and helped it to increase its “per metre” profitability.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Jan/2009 at 10:23pm
Can someone please provide a link to the 2007 and 2008 annual reports.

Date Posted: 13/Jan/2009 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by abhishekbasu

The textile business of Sintex is not a run-of-the-mill commodity textile business like Arvind Mills. They supply fabrics to fashion houses in Europe where the margins are relatively better.

The textile division manufactures and supplies structured fabrics to high-end fashion houses. As much as 70% of the total revenues of this business are derived from exports. The division caters to a niche segment of the fabric market (representing only 2.8% of the total fabrics sold in the world). Over the years, Sintex has maintained its focus on these niche markets and today has alliances with some of the best fashion design houses in Europe and India. Its joint venture with Canclini has been the primary volume driver for the company and helped it to increase its “per metre” profitability.

All you said is right. But reason I would buy Sintex is its plastic business.

Date Posted: 13/Jan/2009 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Mr. V

Can someone please provide a link to the 2007 and 2008 annual reports.

That's a hard one! They don't have an "investor section" ConfusedShocked !!

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Jan/2009 at 11:09pm
They do... but it has the FY06 annual report.

They have 3 different and very crappy websites.

Date Posted: 13/Jan/2009 at 12:49pm
Here is the http://sebiedifar.nic.in/sebi_doc_pub.asp?value=ar - link for their annual reports from 2003 to 2008.

Date Posted: 30/Jan/2009 at 12:41pm
According to the FY08 annual report :

Cash & Cash Equivalents : 1657 cr

Current Market cap (CMP Rs 135) = 1830 cr

Am I missing something ?

Date Posted: 30/Jan/2009 at 12:43pm
Is it borrowings free????

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Date Posted: 30/Jan/2009 at 12:47pm
FCCB raised in Dec 2007 (900 cr types) is due in 2013 at 130%.

Date Posted: 30/Jan/2009 at 12:53pm
Net cash is not that high compared to market cap.

Whats the book value????

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Date Posted: 30/Jan/2009 at 1:04am
BV per share Rs 111

Date Posted: 30/Jan/2009 at 8:38am
Net debt is at comfortable level. Brand, Product range, cash generation and expansion are all good. I purchased share and will keep on adding.

Company said they had inventory loss due to sharp decline in price. Higher price inventory will be used by middle of current q. So Q1 '10 should be normal.

Date Posted: 06/Feb/2009 at 11:53pm
Any idea as to why it has gone down from 140 levels to 109 with 2-3x average volumes over the last five sessions ?

Date Posted: 10/Feb/2009 at 5:38pm
Because of http://moneycontrol.com/mccode/news/article/news_article.php?autono=384741&special=highlights - this ?

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Feb/2009 at 11:55pm
T Rowe Price picked up 1.5m shares today.

Date Posted: 25/Feb/2009 at 12:45pm
This is now available at 90 levels. Looks like the market is factoring a massive degrowth.

Date Posted: 25/Feb/2009 at 5:22am
Can someone quote the estimated financials for Fy10?

-------------

Date Posted: 25/Feb/2009 at 8:10am
FY09 net profit will be around 270 cr. Company feels FY10 will be flat which would mean EPS of Rs 20.

Company raised truck load of cash through QIP and FCCB just before the Jan crash.
Cash & Cash Equivalent is around 1600 cr. This includes about 900 cr in FCCB  money but these bonds are due for conversion in 2013.

Sintex acquired a bunch of companies in the US, France and other european countries. These acquired companies are into composites, plastics and auto plastics components. Sintex is planning to move the manufacturing to India.

Date Posted: 03/Mar/2009 at 11:32am
Another dukhi aatma stock now at 85/- Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Mar/2009 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Hitesh Shah

Some of the dukhi aatma stocks are not Ouch but Big%20smile. It is wonderful opportunity to get this stock at this prices. I keep on adding and will keep on adding as price decline.

They have cash, orders, brand, good product line. I don't see anything wrong other than shares held buy troubled institution. It reminds me Karur Vysya in 2000. When whole mkt was soaring, Karur kept on going down boz Jadin Fleming was selling constantly despite of good results.

Date Posted: 04/Mar/2009 at 2:58pm
any idea who is selling this.
It has decent BV and is at low p/e.
However the company they acquired is not doing well, i guess.

-------------
karthik

Date Posted: 04/Mar/2009 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by karthikr80

any idea who is selling this.
It has decent BV and is at low p/e.
However the company they acquired is not doing well, i guess.

They did more than one acquisition. They will get technology/customers. Don't know and don't care who is selling but it was darling of many FIIs.

Posted By: Circuit
Date Posted: 04/Mar/2009 at 4:58pm

Dukhi Aatma with a reason !!!

If I remember correctly, one of their acquisition has gone into liquidation which means all the money invested goes down the drain.

Date Posted: 04/Mar/2009 at 5:13pm
Over the past 12 months it is the baton that has changed sometimes it has been the investors who went into liquidation and sometimes it is the company.

-------------

Posted By: Ajith
Date Posted: 04/Mar/2009 at 8:57pm
 The management  is top grade,I am told.Maybe,this one will recover.

-------------
Ajith

Date Posted: 05/Mar/2009 at 6:48pm
Now sub-80.......from 500+ to 80-, this surely needs more careful understanding.

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Date Posted: 05/Mar/2009 at 9:35pm

Now sub-80.......from 500+ to 80-, this surely needs more careful understanding. 

Old news but important:

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/video/newsvideo.php?autono=371075 - Sintex's German acquisition Geiger Technik goes bankrupt

Date Posted: 05/Mar/2009 at 10:19pm
Another case of a forum_topics.asp?FID=30 - Mid caps that can become large cap becoming a smaller cap instead. Cry

I got in at 160 thinking it was
a bargain and just a few weeks down the road Ouch Ouch Ouch!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Mar/2009 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Circuit

Old news but important:

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/video/newsvideo.php?autono=371075 -

Date Posted: 05/Mar/2009 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by karthikr80

Old news but important:

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/video/newsvideo.php?autono=371075 - Sintex's German acquisition Geiger Technik goes bankrupt

Seems to be old news. Why it has fallen after 2 months...?
seems decent buy at this level

Makes me feel something worse may be in store which will come out after stock bottoms out ....

Posted By: stockaddict
Date Posted: 05/Mar/2009 at 11:02pm
I too made an entry around 160 but exited around 180. Lot of midcaps have been halving in price every month or two since Oct 08. Reliance money states that Geiger acquisition is on hold. Geiger was supposed to be acquied for $35 million out of which $ 10 m has already been paid. The operations of geiger are now run by a court administrator and the case is expected to be settled by Sep 09. If no other bidder comes up SIntex may get the company at a lower price or it may forfeit the upfront payment of $ 10 m and forgo the acquisition. The company has put other acuisition plans on hold.

Sintex has $ 225 m worth FCCB maturing in 2013 with conversion price more than 500. During last quarter the company booked inventory losses worth Rs 300 million and is expected to do so next year too. The business is experiencing slowdown and contraction in margins.

Sintex did not book translational loss on FCCB worth $225 m on plea that it has not used the money and it is parked outside India. This can be another dampner. The results were boosted by other income mainly treasury gains on this money.

Date Posted: 05/Mar/2009 at 11:19pm
It will be prudent to stay away for the moment and let the stock TANK further.....Wink

Date Posted: 05/Mar/2009 at 6:49am
Originally posted by stockaddict

I too made an entry around 160 but exited around 180...... .....

I'm talking of the recent 160. As far as I could tell, the stock kept tanking (ha, ha) and never gave me a profitable exit.

Your other points also make its stock price performance understandable.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Mar/2009 at 10:57am

I too made an entry around 160 but exited around 180...... .....

I'm talking of the recent 160. As far as I could tell, the stock kept tanking (ha, ha) and never gave me a profitable exit.

Your other points also make its stock price performance understandable.

well i was talking about last 2-3 months only! from raw memory i remember that it fell from 250+ to 150 and then I bought it at 160 it again climbed to around 200 after i exited and then came geiger news it fell straigth to 140-145 range ....u know the story after that, it has dropped below 80 along with the market.

Though I am no expert, I still believe that this company has good product and brand power and will survive, only if I know when to enter again!

Date Posted: 05/Mar/2009 at 11:05am

well i was talking about last 2-3 months only! from raw memory i remember that it fell from 250+ to 150 and then I bought it at 160 it again climbed to around 200 after i exited and then came geiger news it fell straigth to 140-145 range ....u know the story after that, it has dropped below 80 along with the market.

Though I am no expert, I still believe that this company has good product and brand power and will survive, only if I know when to enter again!

Well, you didn't do badly for a non-expert Big%20smile!

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Mar/2009 at 11:18am
Lol, it was all by destiny, nobody expects shares to rise and fall so much so fast.

BTW some corporate action on the scrip:

Smalcap world fund inc , Mathews international and Mirae global have been buying the scrip from open market in Feb , march 09 and Oct 08 respectively, they all hold around 5% of outstanding equity each now. A promoter, BVM finance has pledged 2 crore shares (66% of total holding and 14% of total outstanding equity) on 6/2/09.

Market cap is around Rs 1034 cr much below the net current assets at Rs 1591 crores and sales at Rs 1665 crores. Book value is Rs 107.

Date Posted: 06/Mar/2009 at 12:36pm
TANKing continues Thumbs%20Down

Date Posted: 06/Mar/2009 at 1:03pm

Watching this stock fall is a TANKless job Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Mar/2009 at 1:09pm

Watching this stock fall is a TANKless job Tongue

It's almost as if someone has tied a couple of Everest Kanto cylinders to the tank and thrown it into the deep, deep, ocean.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Mar/2009 at 2:33pm

Is Sintex a sinking ship or what.....

I sometimes wondewr how will they face the shareholders at the AGM, especially big investors?

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Date Posted: 06/Mar/2009 at 2:41pm

I sometimes wondewr how will they face the shareholders at the AGM, especially big investors?

Big%20smile Big%20smile Big%20smile Maybe they should issue DVRs. Keep the pests away!
Big%20smile

-------------

Posted By: paragdesai
Date Posted: 06/Mar/2009 at 2:50pm

Don't know about SINTEX people but in general Don't you think that they are shameless people?

-------------
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity ....

Date Posted: 06/Mar/2009 at 6:09pm
Mostly yes, but not all. Some managements do get hurt if spoken ruthlessly against.

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Posted By: Ajith
Date Posted: 06/Mar/2009 at 10:00pm
 Maybe the management got a bit too ambitious after establishing themselves.
The recession is taking its toll on so many companies -especially the aggressive ones-in so many unexpected ways.
 But I am not sue whats causing the fall-just selling pressure by distressed institution or dismal results to come?

-------------
Ajith

Date Posted: 06/Mar/2009 at 10:08pm
Sintex Industries Ltd has informed BSE that pursuant to the approval of the (i) the Board of Directors at its meeting held on October 10, 2008, (ii) Committee of Directors at its meeting held on February 16, 2009: (iii) the Committee of Directors at its meeting held on February 18, 2009, the Company has allotted 2500 Nos. Secured Non Convertible Debentures of Rs 10,00,000/- each of the Company to Life Insurance Corporation of India.

What's the interest rate on the debentures ? and why the need to raise 250 crores ?

Date Posted: 06/Mar/2009 at 10:10pm
Any of these? Data from NSE on public holding greater than 1% as of 31/12/2008

Sr. No Name of the shareholder Number of shares Shares as a percentage of total number of shares {i.e., Grand Total (A)+(B)+ (C) indicated in Statement at para (I)(a) above}
1 HSBC Globe Investment Fund-HSBC Globle Investment Fund Mauritus Ltd. 4000000 2.93
2 Smallcap World Fund, INC 9008250 6.6
3 Carlson Fund Equity - Asian Small Cap 2576000 1.89
4 T Rowe Price International INC -T Rowe Price New Asia Fund 3653552 2.68
5 NOMURA INDIA INVESTMENT FUND MOTHER FUND 2830000 2.07
6 Matthews Pacific Tiger Fund 2835014 2.08
7 Merae Asset Invest. Mana. Co. Ltd. A/c. Merae Asset India Discovery Equity Invest Trust-1 1517969 1.11
8 Matthews India Fund 2101834 1.54
9 Commonwealth Equity Fund Ltd 1945895 1.43
10 The Master Trust Bank of Japan Ltd.-HSBC Indian Equity Mother Fund 1509450 1.11
11 Government of Singapore 1630391 1.19
12 Fidelity Mana & Research Co. A/c Fidelity Invest. Trust Fidelity Emerg. Markets Fund 1483223 1.09
13 Reliance Capital Trustee Co. Ltd. A/c. Reliance Gr. 3447600 2.53
14 JM Trustee Co. Ltd.- JM Mutual Fund-Basic 1474154 1.08
TOTAL
40013332 29.33

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Mar/2009 at 1:04pm

This price may not be bottom but Sintex is a multibagger from this price IMO. Company with strong cash position and ubiquitous  product is available at throaway price.

Loss at Geiger Technik going bankrupt is not a as big deal and there is possibility that it may work out better for sintex.

Disclosure: I keep on buying and will do so.

Date Posted: 08/Mar/2009 at 11:30am

It's almost as if someone has tied a couple of Everest Kanto cylinders to the tank and thrown it into the deep, deep, ocean.

Cylinders (EKC) and Tank are still on the roll downhill......Ouch

Print Page | Close Window