Print Page | Close Window

Our Stocks - Should we buy, sell or hold

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Market Strategies
Forum Name: Our stocks. Buy hold or sell - The help ourselves Board
Forum Discription: What do we do with our stock portfolio.Ask any member and for a short opinion.If you know something about a particular stock do tell the forum.These will later be put in as seperate topics
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=137
Printed Date: 28/Apr/2024 at 2:30pm

Topic: Our Stocks - Should we buy, sell or hold
Posted By: basant
Subject: Our Stocks - Should we buy, sell or hold
Date Posted: 25/Jul/2006 at 1:28pm

Hello,

This is broadly a Q and A section where we try and provide our views in one paragraph as to why we like or do not like a particular stock(s).The idea is to give a reason with the decision and that as you know is the crux of http://www.theequitydesk.com - www.theequitydesk.com
  http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=137&PN=2 -  
http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=137&PN=2 -  
This section is a free for all and we try and it is our endevour to provide clear, unbiased and genuine advise. The idea is to generate views from a diverse base of readers across the globe.

In case you have a question you could put it here and if you could help any forum member with his question  we would be very happy to have your views on this section. http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=242 -

Regards,

Basant

Please use the search button on the top right hand corner of this page to find out about specific stocks that interest you.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Replies:
Posted By: chic_1978
Date Posted: 10/Aug/2006 at 4:48pm
Hi friends

Any idea about Prime Property developers. ???

Please send ur views for following companies i am invested in

Electrosteel Castings
Lloyd Electric
Ucal Fuels
Prime Property
Energy Developement
Essar Oils
RNRL
RPL
FCS Software
Ashok Leyland

Looking towads reply from Mr Basant

Tnx & Rgds
Please reply

-------------
happy & wise investing

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2006 at 5:06pm

Hi Chic,

Great to have you with us. I do not follow all the stocks that you ahve posted above but from the list I am bullish on
Electrosteel
Lloyd ELectric (you may read the report in the stock ideas section)
Ucal Fuels
Ashok Leyland (Watch this one it could be a dark horse)

Let me see if I can add some information on these companies.

RNRL and RPl are only hope at the moment and while they may not fall I see no reason  why they should go up, Essar oil probably is a bad bussiness with a bad management. So better to stay away from such companies.

I have no idea on FCS, Energy Deb and Prime prop. Any one else who could help us out with these companies please?

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: Vivek Sukhani
Date Posted: 10/Aug/2006 at 5:57pm
Of all the picks, I am particularly bullish in Electrosteel castings.This scrip has done excellent consolidation. the downgrading of its debt paper was a negative development, but the reasons attributed for the same, was something which appeared a little bit superfluous. Jindal Saw has also emerged on the scene. It is doing backward integration in a big manner.Has an excellent book value.But dont buy this stock for bonus. They have already expanded their equity by way of issue of GDR.Its dividend yield is also attractive.All in all, its a fundamental investors delight and a noghtmare for a trader trading technically.

Posted By: manishdave
Date Posted: 15/Aug/2006 at 12:56pm
Aviation sector in India is booming like anything. I am not much interested in airline stocks. But how about Taneja? Mkt cap is abt 350 Cr. They make small planes will keep on making bigger ones. They give planes on charter. They maintain planes. They make aero-structures, airfield services etc.

With economy growing the way it is airlines is huge opp. and Taneja is one to watch. This is not low p/e stock, but this is early stage of high growth opp.

I woudl like to get more info on company.

Posted By: PKB2000
Date Posted: 16/Aug/2006 at 6:14pm
Vivek
Subho Janmashtami to all of you.
As a participant I can only tell what I think of buying tomorrow as a part of periodical investment to my trading portfolio!
1. Hindustan Zink
2. Hindustan Motors
3. Aegis logistics
4. Rajesh export
5. Gate way Drishtipack
6. Albert david

I am happy to note that company like LLOYD electric and Educomp Solution have find a good place in the equity desk column
Best regards to all of you

-------------
I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

Posted By: reema
Date Posted: 16/Aug/2006 at 7:24pm
A few other stocks that were discussed on this forum and which have gone up are:

ENIL - Rs 180 to Rs 240
Mc Dowells - Rs 490 to Rs 605
Pantaloon Retail - Rs 1120 to Rs 1640
Era Construction - Rs245 to rs 290
Inox Leisure - Rs 122 to rs 148
While these could be purely co-incidental the start is encouraging.

Keep it up!

-------------
You should try to add wealth not multiply it

Date Posted: 16/Aug/2006 at 7:38pm

Absolutely coincidental. We have been lucky to have had the wind behind us. Investing is a marathon and we are probably only 100 meters into it.

-------------

Date Posted: 16/Aug/2006 at 7:59pm
I was again looking at the stocks of my existing INVESTMENT turning to TRADING potfolios.
I will be happy to know the investment idea in a company known as SOLECTRON CENTIUM ELECTRONICS LIMITED  at its current level.

-------------
I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

Date Posted: 16/Aug/2006 at 9:10pm

Dear Mr. PKB2000,

Re: Your querry on the PM

I am sorry I do not follow most of the stocks that you have mentioned. Hindustan Zinc is a cyclical so you need to watch the LME prices but over the long term zinc prices are bound to go up.Aegis logistics and gateway are in businesses that are showing good growth others I do not have an opinion as I have never followed them.

As per your question on averaging I never advise that startegy but in case the fundamentals have not changed since you last bought them it is always advisable to buy when the chips are down.

-------------

Date Posted: 16/Aug/2006 at 11:15pm
Mr. Dave I have many picks and I will hereby try to organise them:

1.Ballarpur Industries Limited:No.1 player in paper industry. Has excellent susidiary in food processing. Wonderful business leader as its team leader(Gautam thapar). Good sales. Good rethanistion of its subsidiaries.... they have sold/hived off Paperbase Limited and APR Packaging.

2.Electrosteel castings:Simply too good in my opinion.India has lot to do manage its waterresources.

3.Pidilite Industries: Big market leader in adhesives. Very agressive in opening up newer avenues.Good capex plans. Excellent promotional campaigns. Hobby Ideas is likely to be very successful.Patout rise for at least last 10 years.

4.Alfa Laval:Excellent player in process technology equipment. Rarely gets its due share.

5.I like all the 3 big shipping companies.... GE, Varun And SCI. Too good financials to be ignored.

6.Asian Paints:Market leader in paints. Very good corporate governace, Prvides for dimunition in value of investments in subsidiaries. I admire its practices.

7.Plastiblends:Emerging very big in masterbatches.Plasticshas a very bright future in any case.

8.BASF: I like the financial performanceof this co. Good expansion plans. very good bonus candidate.

9. Hindustan Sanitaryware: Wonderfully aggressive.

10.Foseco India: Metallyrgical chemicals have a bright future given the way steel plants are coming up here in India. Excellent dividend yield.

11.Opto Circuits: Excellent business play.Continuous bonus for 3 years.

12.Chambal: Good businesses. good Dividend.

13. havell's: We all know its bonus track record. Too good a management.

14.Albert David: Excellent financials.Continuous increasein dividends for 4 years running.

This list may go on and on.....

Posted By: Ajith
Date Posted: 17/Aug/2006 at 3:30pm

J K Investo seems a superb value pick for its land holdings at Thane,100% subsidiary J K Helens Curtis,shareholding in Raymonds and 50:50 Kamasutra condoms joint venture with Ansell.Above all, the management is honest,I know that and its  specially important because of a 73% holding and the valuable land involved.

Posted By: RAKESH
Date Posted: 17/Aug/2006 at 3:33pm
I JUST WANTED TO ASK U ABOUT RAJESH EXPORTS IS WORTH BUYING RIGHT NOW

Date Posted: 17/Aug/2006 at 4:26pm

Amar Raja Batteries was up in circuit at Rs 370 today. Another co-incidence???

-------------

Posted By: RITESHKAMANI
Date Posted: 18/Aug/2006 at 12:39pm
BUY EVEREST KANTO AT 380 FOR A SHORT TERM TARGET OF 450.

Date Posted: 18/Aug/2006 at 2:23pm
It is. And today AmarRaja is up by about 3% more. YOu need to congratulate Manish for that.

To tell you about another co-incidence Educomp is up by Rs 100 to Rs 470 from Rs 370 since it was discussed 4 days back.

When ever markets rebound the best stocks give their moves first. The moves are highest in mid caps because the liquidity arguments works in their favour on the upside.SO we need to take the rise with as they say in standardized financial terms " Cautious optimisim".

-------------

Posted By: Ajith
Date Posted: 20/Aug/2006 at 2:23pm
Pricol looks good on  all counts except for the high debt and increasing debtors days.Sales growth will be very good over the years and management is capable and honest.
 Pricol's products are excellent and it is equity-backed by Denso of Japan.
Also price may react on profitbooking as I had bought at 31 a couple of weeks back

Date Posted: 21/Aug/2006 at 10:02pm
Hi guys

check out for following scripts for coming days :

Bharat Forge
Wockhart
Sterlite Ind
Orchid Chemicals

njoi trading

-------------
happy & wise investing

Date Posted: 21/Aug/2006 at 8:48am

Could you briefly present a case for investing into these copanies.

-------------

Posted By: ravibagri
Date Posted: 22/Aug/2006 at 10:38pm

Mr. Ritesh your target seems achieved now can you share with us the insider news that prompted you to recommend this stock. The company manufactures CNG gas cyclinders and that is in huge demand from what I know.

Date Posted: 23/Aug/2006 at 7:31pm

I have sold 20 shares of EDUCOMP  at 594 at 10.45 today whereas it reduced to 527.65 at the end of the day.

I had this stock since last budget based on article on tax  advantage  of Educomp (from pyt.com)!

From the iinformation of this forum I think tomorrow I can again take the same. Or should I go for AREVA  T & D or BASF at the current price now with the preserved money! (time span for trading October end 2006)

Any suggestion from Mr. Basant  or Mr. Vivek will be helpful.

-------------

Date Posted: 23/Aug/2006 at 7:35pm
Though I like Areva T & D  as a long term story I can't advise on trading as I am a bad timer of the markets.

-------------

Date Posted: 23/Aug/2006 at 7:49pm
Dear Mr. basant
Sorry I could not post the list of existing stocks at my list because it failed every time to process  in this FORUM though I tried the best to post in forum. Providing some software problem all time.
However a few of them goes like this
Can you suggest about the following scripts how many of them I can hold them happily. I just put them Alphabetically

AMTEK AUTO, AREVA, ASIAN ELCTRONICS, BAJAJ AUTO, BASF, BATA, CRANES SOFTWARE, EASTERN SILK INDUSTRIES, EVEREST KANTO CYLINDER, GITANJALI JEMS, GRANULES INDUSTRIES, INFOSYS, GUJRAT AMBUJA CEMENT. INDIA CEMENT, KESORAM INDUSTRIES, LLOYED ELCTRIC, MANUGRAPH INDUSTIRES,MARUTI UDYOG. MICROTEK SOFTWARE, ONGC, SINTEX INDUSTRIES, SOUTH INDIAN BANK, SREI INFRA STRUCTURE, SUNDARAM FASTENER, SUZLON, TATA COFFEE, TATA MOTORS and TRINITY ENGINEERS

-------------

Date Posted: 23/Aug/2006 at 8:06pm

As per our discussion you said that you want to reduce your 200+ stock portfolio to about 40+. That means that we have to keep 1 out of 5 and sell the other 4. The above stock list is about 30 stocks so we could think of picking the best of the 6 from this list. my preferences for the top 12 would be as under. Please note that it is not necessarily in that order and you may choose to shorten that list even further.The 1 out of 6 theory may not work in samples but shall be useful for evaluating the whole portfolio.

1) Areva
2) Bajaj Auto
3) Gitanjalli
4) Tata Coffee
5) Lloyd ELectric
6) Everest Kanto
7) SIntex
8) Sundaram Fasteners
9) Tata Motors
10) Infosys
11) Suzlon
12) Manugraph

-------------

Date Posted: 23/Aug/2006 at 8:28pm
Great to find Manugraph in the list
Again Mr. Basant my second list  ANKUR DRUG, ASHOK LEYLAND, BIRLA CORPORATION, GATEWAY DRISTI, P&G, RELIANCE COMMUNICATION, SANGAM INDIA, SCAHSUN CHEMICALS, TTK PRESTIGE
Your choice if any

Date Posted: 23/Aug/2006 at 9:21pm
Ashok Leyland (dark horse), Gateway, Prefer Bharti to reliance Com. See I could pick one or two more but I am trying to cut down the list so that we are not watered down by too many stocks.

Any one else with views on these stocks and the ones listed above!

-------------

Date Posted: 23/Aug/2006 at 9:27pm

Can any one suggest how to play now with the following   http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=76&KW=infrastructure - infrastructure  / construction / http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=208 - realties stocks Sitting with a loss of 25 – 30%. IS THERE ANY POSSIBILTY TO GROW THESE STOCKS IN NEXT ONE YEAR TO A NEW 52 WEEKS HIGH!

1. http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132 - ERA CONSTRUCTION
  2. IVRCL Infra
  3. HINDUSTAN CONSTRUCTION
  4. MAHEDRA GESCO
  5. NITCO TILES
  6. BSEL INFRASTRUCTURE
  7. IDFC

Date Posted: 23/Aug/2006 at 9:28pm
meanwhile my thanks to RAKESH for RAJESH EXPORT

-------------

Date Posted: 23/Aug/2006 at 10:04pm
Except for BSEL the others could be held on.

-------------

Date Posted: 23/Aug/2006 at 12:41pm
Today I was listening business news in CNBC about the prospects of Petrochemicals Industries especially plastics and Polymers and the government plan to make special SEZ for the same as well as Tax advantage. Apparantly it seems that at least a part of the plan wil be implemented by government to give special addantages to the related companies. I would like to know from FORUM that what will be be the strategies to the following stocks as a long term investment say for two years
1. IPCL
2. http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=217 - Reliance Industries
3. VIP
4. Plastiblends
5  Machinoplast
6. Tainwala Chemicals ( A penny stock and i am at a loss of about 50% at the moment)

Date Posted: 23/Aug/2006 at 9:12am

IPCL and reliance are good shares to hold  from the list and from the others better to sell since in cyclical it is best to have the best company in the sector.

-------------

Posted By: dhanaji
Date Posted: 24/Aug/2006 at 12:28pm
whats your views about tisco & sail

-------------
dhanaji

Date Posted: 24/Aug/2006 at 7:55pm
Can anyone suggest me what to do with the following stocks related to Metals
1. Usha Martin
2. HEG
3. Bil power
4. GujNRE coke
In the first two I am in profit
In the last two I am in loss, advise pls

-------------

Date Posted: 24/Aug/2006 at 8:40pm
Your purchase price becomes irrelevant the moment yur trade is executed so I would suggest you to take a look at your shares without taking the purchase price into consideration at all.

-------------

Date Posted: 24/Aug/2006 at 12:32pm
Mr PKB: Usha Martin HEG Bil power and HEG are second grade share and in metal listen to the smart guys http://www.theequitydesk.com/jim_rogers.asp - Jim rogers expects zinc, lead and copper to be very costly so why not change over to Hind zinc, sterlite and Hinalco.

Dhanaji: Tisco is better then Sail why don't you think of selling saiil and buying more tata steel.

Date Posted: 24/Aug/2006 at 11:20am
Mr. Basant I bought some Educomp at Rs 380 (now 550) and Gitanjali gems at Rs 170 (now 187 freeze) when u discused them here. Also I taook position in Pantaloon at 1125 and ENIL at 188 (they are now 1710 and 245 respectively)after reading from this place. Sitting on profits but I buy small qty only Since u got in early you can hold shud I also keep or try to book partial gains and switch to some thing else that you say.This is so coz I bought them on my mother's A/c.Thank you for opening up this wonderful place where we can have access to real good stock discussion.

-------------

Date Posted: 25/Aug/2006 at 1:37pm
Thanks Basant

Yesterday i bought Kewal Kiran @ 200/-, way below its IPO price ie : 265(I guess) Can i have ur views on the same.

-------------
happy & wise investing

Date Posted: 25/Aug/2006 at 1:44pm
Hi Friends

Can u throw some light on Jindal Stainless, I bought it @ 98/- yesterday.
 Does it looks attractive at this price??

Which is better to invest in current market secanario Infosys OR TCS.
 Please explain ur comments

Date Posted: 25/Aug/2006 at 2:02pm
Kewal Kiran Is an excellent concept produces Killer jeans stock should outperform the market. Try and add more if you are comfortable with a high risk high return startegy.

-------------

Date Posted: 25/Aug/2006 at 2:52pm
Thanks Basant

& ur call on Jindal Stainless

Would u prefer Infosys or TCS ??

-------------
happy & wise investing

Date Posted: 25/Aug/2006 at 9:39am
Infy and TCS is a tough call. I would prefer Infy because the growth is more consistent whereas TCS does have a lumpy and erratic growth.   But over  a period of time both should do well.

I have no idea on Jindal Stainless though.

-------------

Date Posted: 26/Aug/2006 at 9:30pm

How do you react to news that a big trader has build up a large position in a particular stock.Most of us will rush to hoard up that company.... I see, something fishy in this startegy...

I think if the trader has already bought, the only thing which that trader can do, is to sell them or hold them...so, why are we helping the trader in his pursuit?I would simply rush out if I find some big traders have built up very huge position in any of the companies I have holdings in...

Just think, which are the companies that get maximum punished during bear carnage... the ones which are very popular... we have forgotten what happened to titan during this crash... what happened to Bajaj Hundustan.... what happened to mahindra gesco, what happened to most of infrastructure plays...are we not again getting into the same boat????

All, I want to say.... keep your mental peace with yourself while buying a stock. Dont simply try to copycat a trader...and also, remeber, the less popular a stock is, the more limited downside it offers....

Date Posted: 26/Aug/2006 at 9:31pm
thanks Basant

Last tine i asked ur views on FCS Software, can u & Mr Vivek please study this script. It looks very interesting to me.

This FCS soft got listed in last year and issue price is Rs 50 per share based at new delhi. within 4 days of listing in the second week of septerm ber 2005 it zoomed to Rs 230 per share.

fundamentaly speaking they collected very less premium from ipo and co bought land and cons work for expansion is on at punjab and within 6 months it decleared intrim a final dividend @ 25% There is only very very less floating stock i.e 30 lacs by public shares remaining holding by the promoter 75% hence it has to touch atleast Rs 200/- per within december 2006.

-------------
happy & wise investing

Date Posted: 26/Aug/2006 at 9:42pm
Hi chic_1978,

I have sent a request to the company for the latest annual report. Only then, I will be able to comment. I trued to locate the financials of the comoany, and they dont look bad... however, chic I would caition you against taking very big positions in this company. Technically, this stock is looking destroyed....wait for some very positive news to come in...ele make at least 3 entry points and divide your positions accordingly.

Date Posted: 26/Aug/2006 at 9:45pm
By technically I mean, chartically... dont take it as if the company has got technically destroyed.

Date Posted: 27/Aug/2006 at 10:07pm
Reema: As i said before I would advise you to  hold all the stocksEducomp has run up about 50% (Rs 380 to Rs 550) since we discussed it on this forum but then we have bought the stock for much bigger things and so with Pantaloon up 50% (from Rs 1125 to rs 1670). Dittto with Gitanjali Gems and ENIl as they have also spurted in less then 4 weeks.

But when it falls you should not panic because nothing goes up one way. Your next question would be why not sell now and buy on a fall The answer is that nobody has been consistent at this strategy and sooner or later it makes you pay.

Now as you are holding high potential companies why should you be scared whether it is your money or your mother's.as long as she does not need the money in 2 - 3 years.

-------------

Date Posted: 28/Aug/2006 at 5:43pm
Thanks
Vivek

AS of now FCS Software is hitting upper circuit since past 3 days.

Can u please study Prime Property & send me ur views in the same.

-------------
happy & wise investing

Date Posted: 28/Aug/2006 at 6:06pm

Prime Property acquires two properties

News Body:  

Prime Property Development Corporation Ltd has informed BSE that the Company has now acquired two properties on outright basis, one on S V Road, Goregoan West, and the other at Pimpri Chinchwad, Pune, on the Main Pune - Mumbai Road.

The Goregaon Project will be named "Prime Square" and will have approximately 35,000 sq. ft. saleable area of commercial shops and showrooms located on the busy S V Road. The project has the potential to also be a landmark commercial hub in the area.

The Pimpri-Chinchwad, Pune property will be developed into a Composite Mall Project with anchor shop, entertainment area, food court, multiplex and a hotel covering more than 400000 square foot saleable area. It will cater not only to the fast growing Pimpri - Chinchwad residential -cum- industrial belt, but also the high-fi IT park professionals in the nearby Hinjewadi area and the population on the Pune Mainland.

-------------
happy & wise investing

Date Posted: 29/Aug/2006 at 7:46pm

HI BASANT & VIVEK

CAN U GUYS CHECK & COMMENT ON THIS SCRIPT G.V.FILMS
A LOT HAS BEEN SAID ABOUT THIS SCRIPT ON MONEYCONTROL & OTHER SITES.

IS IT REALLY A TURNAROUND STORY OR ANOTHER JUNK STOCK???

-------------
happy & wise investing

Date Posted: 29/Aug/2006 at 8:00pm
GV films: the management keeps doing something unusual in a bullish market basically the company has never been able to get its act correct. If you can make in GV films it would be more because of luck or chance rather then anything else. it is a classic case of operator play and you can move with the tide but only if you know which way it is flowing!.

-------------

Date Posted: 29/Aug/2006 at 11:00pm
Last month the best performing mutual funds  Reliance Growth fund had initiated exposure to Gammon India and Reliance Vision fund in India has initiated exposure to Tata Steel and Reliance Energy

Sundaram Select midcap has taken an exposure to http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18 - Bank of Baroda- banking stocks were trading at close to or below book values as was mentioned in the discussion what to buy in a rising interest rate scenario last month and from that level they could not go down.

-------------

Posted By: manjari
Date Posted: 30/Aug/2006 at 3:38pm
hi i am the new member on ur site. The site is realy interesting since we come to talk about different types of stocks and share each others veiw on it.  

-------------
student

Date Posted: 30/Aug/2006 at 3:41pm
Hi Manjari, Great to have you here. Do keep coming up with your views.

-------------

Date Posted: 30/Aug/2006 at 3:43pm

sir   i will be really thankfull if u comment on these two shares-  1_  noida toll.  2_satnam overseas                       

-------------
student

Date Posted: 30/Aug/2006 at 3:49pm
i read ur article about NITCO TILES. The stock really looked attractive after reading ur artcile and i have invested in it. thanks for sharing ur veiws.

-------------
student

Date Posted: 30/Aug/2006 at 5:22pm
Satnam looks good. Risk averse investors can play the great indian Retail and http://www.theequitydesk.com/india_story.asp - consumer boom through  http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=243&PID=1122#1122 - Satnam Overseas which is a value cum growth play

-------------

Date Posted: 30/Aug/2006 at 5:26pm
Dear Basant  & Forum.
Among diferent type of IPOs those are launched
within an year or so I will be happy to know the strategies against the following IPOs
1. Tech Mahindra
2. Indotek Transformer
3. Lokesh Machine tools
4. Tantia Construction

Strategy MATLAB Whether to hold them, Whether to discard them or whether they can be safely averaged / bought at Curent Market Price as on today.
If hold then how much time one should wait to get a decent 20 - 30 % return from these stocks fom the current level! And if any one of them can be as good as LLOYD Elctric to invest happily!

-------------

Date Posted: 30/Aug/2006 at 7:44pm
Tech mahindra is a blue chip and is involved in the high growth telecom vertical so it should not be  a problem I would avoid Tantia because of the management and the group and switch to either Nagarjuna/ IVRCL or Gammon India

-------------

Date Posted: 30/Aug/2006 at 9:40pm

I am reading about one company GVK POWER and INFRASTRUCTURE

Incidentally I just got the Notice of EMCO along with Annual report and found Mr.K.N.Shenoy was appointed as Additional director of EMCO who in turn is Director of GVK POWER and INFRA STRUCTURE. Incidentallly I have both stocks with me.
So I was just reading some interesting feedback from money control regarding GVK. The news on GVK as I get from money control starts with stcok views on 07-08-2006 and view of one MR. Kapoor is " http://poweryourtrade.moneycontrol.com/india/news/stocksviews/ashishkapoorceoinvestshoppe/gvkpowerlooksexpensive/market/stocks/article/232981 - GVK Power looks expensive "
Thereafter the news on GVK are

Buzzing Stocks
Aug-21-2006 http://poweryourtrade.moneycontrol.com/india/news/buzzingstocks/gvkpowerinfrastructure/gvkpowerspurts406/market/stocks/article/235409 - GVK Power spurts up 4.06%
Aug-18-2006 http://poweryourtrade.moneycontrol.com/india/news/buzzingstocks/gvkpowerinfrastructure/gvkpowerlockedat10uppercircuit/market/stocks/article/235200 - GVK Power locked at 10% upper circuit
Aug-07-2006 http://poweryourtrade.moneycontrol.com/india/news/buzzingstocks/gvkpowerinfrastructure/gvkpowermakessmartgains/market/stocks/article/232831 - GVK Power makes smart gains
Aug-02-2006 http://poweryourtrade.moneycontrol.com/india/news/buzzingstocks/gvkpowerinfrastructure/gvkpowerputsgoodshow/market/stocks/article/231995 - GVK Power puts on good show
Results
Aug-30-2006 http://poweryourtrade.moneycontrol.com/india/news/results/gvkpowerinfrastructureresults/gvkpowerq1netprofitatrs667cr/market/stocks/article/237397 - GVK Power Q1 net profit at Rs 6.67cr
Now can anyone from forum provide me some information whether I can by some more EMCO or GVK POWER to average?
Mr. Basant please help on the above stocks if possible!

-------------

Date Posted: 30/Aug/2006 at 9:52pm
Emco looked very good to me till they announced their decision to get into power generation. Power generation dilutes the RoE and is a low PE business God klnwos what made them go into it. Otherwise the compan's business model is very good and Emco should do well.

-------------

Date Posted: 30/Aug/2006 at 9:59pm
Thank you Mr. Basant

-------------

Date Posted: 30/Aug/2006 at 11:05am
Mr. Basant. Thank you so much for thes ervice you are giving here. I have bought almost all  the share you have written articles on and can you believe it they are all up handsomely. Day before I bought Noitco tile at rs 172 and my broker said buy Kajaria but Nitco looked good after reading your stuff so I went for it and today it is up to Rs 195. Will not ask you what to do coz I know your answer now.

-------------

Date Posted: 31/Aug/2006 at 3:50pm
It is a pleasure to be of some help but remember that we are just lucky to see our stocks go up so fast. I think that Nitco should move up from here also so if you have bought in early just hold on!

-------------

Date Posted: 31/Aug/2006 at 5:09pm
Hi Basant

Nitco rocks man, I noticed that every script that u recommend shoots up almost 20% ( some insiders link or wot ) jus kidding

keep it up & all the very best.

Can u please try & study Prime Property ?????

Rgds

-------------
happy & wise investing

Date Posted: 31/Aug/2006 at 5:13pm
Ha Ha Ha. Just got a letter from SEBI wanted a list of all the forum members (operators). I told them wait for a bearsih phase and then we can compare notes. They agreed.....

Pure co-incidence I would take it like that.

-------------

Posted By: BubbleVision
Date Posted: 31/Aug/2006 at 5:27pm
BasantJi,
Just being so modest.... We must appreciate your special skills.......

Hi Chic... Can you tell me what is the belgium's currency code and what is the Stock Mkt index called..... i have never studied that....

-------------
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!

Date Posted: 31/Aug/2006 at 5:47pm
Hi,

Belgium's currency is Euro & stock exchange is Euronext Brussels.
Recently they are coming with new exchange called EASDAQ.

Even i am new here, will keep the forum updated soon.

-------------
happy & wise investing

Posted By: BubbleVision
Date Posted: 31/Aug/2006 at 6:00pm
Thanks Chirag,
Ok Belgium is in the Euro Zone as well.... That is why i have never analysied it.... before Euro.. They had Belgian Franc..

Regards The Stock Market.. I have got it....
Thanks anyway.... and do keep all of us posted on the develpoments in Belgium... You are like our European Eye...

-------------
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!

Date Posted: 31/Aug/2006 at 12:47pm

On behalf of Forum Member I would like to get the opportunity to wish all the best to Mr. Basant and his Equity desk.

My special thanks to Mr. Vivek for giving me the information about this site.

It is very dissapointing for a small retail investor to invest money on ILL-INFORMED recommendation. I am also a victim of the same.

Some analysts want to show Chamatkar in liew of money and try to make the people full in giving information not on basis of data but on basis of sentiments.

I am also a victim of this Chamatkar.

In the end of year 2004 and begining of 2005 there was a planned way of trapping the investors in Penny / B2 stocks.

A special paid sub-website linked with  the finance of an well known website wanted to place its Chamatkar and made an attempt to grab the inevestor attention with stocks like MTZ POLYESTER, BRIGHT BROTHERS, JAI PARABOLIC SPRINGS, CCS INFOTEC, TAINWALA CHEMICALS, BHAGWATI GAS, MACHINO PLAST, PENNER INDUSTRIES, so on and so on.  In case of  MTZ polyester I still rememberthe day when this stock price touched Rs. 14 the the site literally provoked the investor to buy the stock with the comment that ‘’EVEN GOD CAN NOT STOP the movement of the stocks  to upside many more from here. The stock is now ranging after two years in between 1.7 to 2.14 RS.

Sometime things go wrong but the way those paid consultacy services forecasted about the companies is puerly for vested interests.

I hope this side will not make any CHAMATKAR but with the best wishes of Mr. Basant and Forum THE EQUITY DESK will be more and more interesting over the years to come.

If we can not do any good to others better not to make any harm to them! 

-------------

Date Posted: 31/Aug/2006 at 10:22am
Thank you for your kind words as always. Your story reminds me of that famous morning call 

" (XYZ) Catch Catch catch at 9.55. am.... stock will start hoitting upper circuits and bears will lose their pants"

" (XYZ) Sell Sell Sell at 9.55. am.... stock will start hoitting lower circuits and bulls will lose their shirts"

How many of us have loset money reading all that. At least I have....

-------------

Posted By: muthutyr
Date Posted: 01/Sep/2006 at 2:30pm
Hi Basant,

Iam new to this site and really interesting to read your articles..
Can you please throw some lights on Indo Asian Fuse

Thanks,
Muthu 

Date Posted: 01/Sep/2006 at 2:49pm

Thanks for being on board. I do not follow this stock in detail but Indo Asian Fuse (CMP Rs 138) is a small cap company (Rs 196 crores) manufacturing fuse wires energy saving lighting units and switches etc. The company has announced some very interesting ventures and its JV with the Spanish company and also the commencement of commercial production at its new plants could add significantly to the bottom-line this year. The trailing PE ratios are in 3 digits because the company was getting its act together. I assume that this year they should do an EPS of about Rs 10 – 12.

Being small in size the risks are definitely higher but apparently the Business model and financials look interesting.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/Sep/2006 at 8:44pm
Hi Basant,

Check this script, management consisit of Amar Singh,Sahara family & Amitabh Bachaan has a good stake.

News in market about Anil Ambani buying or helping this company through reliance energy.

Check & comment

-------------
happy & wise investing

Date Posted: 01/Sep/2006 at 8:50pm
chec this out !!!!!

Technical Analyst, http://markets.moneycontrol.com/news/expert/expert.php?exp=Prakash%20Gaba - Prakash Gaba is of the view that http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/stockpricequote/ceramics/nitcotiles/11/42/pricechartquote/marketprice/NT01 - Nitco Tiles can go to around Rs 220 level.

< ="http://202.87.40.52/promos/sponsor_news.js">

Gaba told CNBC-TV18, " http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/stockpricequote/diversifiedmega/voltas/11/42/pricechartquote/marketprice/V - Voltas  had a target of Rs 1000. It went up to Rs 1020-1030 and it still looks up. It can go up. Nitco Tiles was giving some good volumes out there in the last few days. It can go to around Rs 220 level. Money can still be made on the long side on this stock

-------------
happy & wise investing

Posted By: reetesh
Date Posted: 01/Sep/2006 at 3:20am
Hi Basant,

Can you tell me 2 or more stocks that has potential to give 15% to 20% compounded return for next say 10 to 15 years.

Have you looked at Hawkins Cooker and Lanxess ABS?

-------------
When going gets tough, that’s when tough (people) gets going.

Date Posted: 01/Sep/2006 at 7:44am
Hi retesh,
I would put my money on http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=117 - HDFC and HDFC Bank. These two are capable of giving that kind of return for the next 10 years. YOu could argue about Infosys and ITc but the visibility is the highest in HDFC and HDFC Bank.

Hawkins appears to be good value but the company has failed to consistently deliver on the growth front. The CMP Rs 91 iis discounted less then the 13 times trailing and at a market cap of Rs 48.56 crores it appears very cheap (the Hawkins brand would be worth the full market cap) dividend at Rs 5 peerr share captures your downside so as the stock falls the dividend yield would increase ensuring against any drastic fall. Overall stocks looks good. I have no idea on the other one.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/Sep/2006 at 2:45pm

Hi Basant,

Point well taken about HDFC & HDFC Bank,   we are talking about banking then you must have seen ING Vysya Bank, the MNC bank in India dont you think is has head start against all other MNC keeping in mind 2009, big parent 4th largest banking group worldwide.  It has Insurance, Home Financing, Assest management etc, trading less than One and Half book give your view on this..

-------------

Date Posted: 02/Sep/2006 at 3:36pm
ING is also a gerat play on all  the segments yyou mentioned and all of these are growing but if I remember correctly they placed about 49% of their Insurance with EXide not sure why they did that.But overall ING could be another great play for the banking segment. But when you put up that 10 years consistent growth factor we would have to favour the HDFC twins. They are phenomenal.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/Sep/2006 at 4:25pm

Righr Basant, I hope I am not bothering you?Whats your take on Pharma sector? In particular Ranbaxy and Bilcare, dont you thik with ageing population in US and Europe their govt. will favour generic play in long term? And with pharma demand growing Bilcare will grow by default, I am Bilcare much before than RJ, by the way who do you thik is better RJ aur Samir Arora, I am very big fan of Samir I think he is great investor first one to buy HDFC bank, Pantaloon etc simply great, please keep his articles old or latest on this great website, do you have any idea where is he? And finally any new emerging sector(s) or stocks, whats your view on CBM coal bed methene, it will be 50000cr sector(Shiv Vani is going big in this), let me know your views.

Regards,
Reetesh.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/Sep/2006 at 5:48pm

Absolutely not It is great to be exchanging views normally people talk what to buy here we are focused on why to buy and that makes the argument more interesting. I would put http://www.theequitydesk.com/samir_arora.asp - Samir Arora far ahead of the pack . See the man was consistent he made money from 1995 to 2003. http://www.theequitydesk.com/rakesh_jhunjhunwala.asp - Not to take anything away from Rakesh Jhunjhunwala but Samir had an understanding  for all the sectors. He bought

Satyam in 1995

http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=117 - HDFC in 1995

HDFC Bank in 1996

Zee in 1996

http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=221 - Bharti in 2001

http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=135 - Pantaloon and http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103 - Trent in 2003

Siemens in 2003

So the man had a knack of looking at multibaggers only. Will try to see if I have anything on him and if I do would put it on board.Meanwhile you could read this http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=238 - Kabhi Khushi kabhi gam . Samir Arora runs an India dedicated  hedge fund from Singapore right now. 

Coming back to Ranbaxy I suggest that if you have to play the US ageing population do so with Ranbaxy and Reddy see it is my experience that a theme should always be played with 2 stocks. BilCare is great and congratulations for having got in before RJ. Also US ageing is  a5 -1 0 year view so one must have that in mind before jumping in and within that time period stocks could go anywhere. I was speaking to a very senior fund manager and he said that these stocks could go up 100% even if they manage to have one of their molecules right and they have plenty in the pipeline.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/Sep/2006 at 6:02pm

You missed my other part of question(s) any new emerging sector(s) or stocks you are looking at and whats your view on CBM coal bed methene, it will be 50000cr sector(Shiv Vani is going big in this), let me know your views.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/Sep/2006 at 7:40pm

Just put up an write up on New emerging sectors  http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=259&PID=1228#1228 -

Date Posted: 02/Sep/2006 at 9:58pm

I l http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=181 - like Zicom as a concept i. Their revenues are invesrely related to morality, ethics,peace and very positively realted to burglary, theft, dacoity, terrorrism. Which way the world will tilt over the next few years is not difficult to fathom.. 

-------------

Date Posted: 02/Sep/2006 at 12:03pm
Good to read your article on Zicom I own it, reading all your articles you are not that yo yo about Pharma sector, is it you dont like the sector or you dont follow the sector closely, do you have any picks in pharma sector?

-------------

Date Posted: 02/Sep/2006 at 12:10pm
Do not understand pharma and technology. I put a great deal of stress in understanding a company's business and http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=177 - My Investing startegy happens the otherway. First the business then the financials.

-------------

Posted By: manish6029
Date Posted: 02/Sep/2006 at 4:22am
Hello,
I am holding Lahoti Overseas 2950 shares at an average price of 9 Rs. Apart from this, I have 116 shares of RPL and 50 shares of Gujrat NRE Coke.
Kindly suggest me on this scripts.
Regards
Manish

Date Posted: 02/Sep/2006 at 10:28am
Lahoti Overseas - no idea

RPL - It was more of ahype rather the  hope co. is yet to start operations better to Play it through RIL. Incase RPL rises RIL hold maj stake and should benefit but I would switch away from RPL

Guj NRE coke: inspite of all their media talk the managemnt integrity is not of a very high order.

-------------

Posted By: catcall
Date Posted: 02/Sep/2006 at 10:40am
What should one do with a TV 18? The stock has fallen more than any other media stock in view of the CAS news. Will it bounce back?

Date Posted: 02/Sep/2006 at 10:47am

I remain http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29 - bullish on TV 18 but the real worth will be realised only when it is kept for a year or so. The  http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=261 - spin off program will add real value.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/Sep/2006 at 1:00pm
Dear Mr. Basant / Forum
Any view on VENUS REMEDIES LIMITED in the long run!
Hold / buy or -------

-------------

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 03/Sep/2006 at 1:39pm
Thanks for your views on Exide. I thought about AmarRaja, but their management track record is not that impressive.

Could you please share with us the Excel sheet you use for comparing and analysing ratios like ROE, ROCE etc...

Thanks again.

-------------
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards

Date Posted: 03/Sep/2006 at 1:45pm
Thanks. Tough to do it at the moment but will provide a write up on that some time for sure.ANything that you found AmarRaja not doing well except for the 2000 KP case. A good knowledgable friend of mine holds Amarraja for quite some time and he says that the managemnt was mis understood . YOU may read his posts here by looking for them under the member list " Manish Dave".

-------------

Date Posted: 03/Sep/2006 at 11:55pm
Hey Mr PKB,

Some time back I heard that you awere trying to reduce the number of stocks in your portfolio. Seems to have changed your mind very soon. Well, on a more serious note I do not track Venus (CMP Rs366) but the stock is owed by some real heavyweights ABn AMro, Templeton,CitiGroup Goldman Sachs etc.

This is a Rs 300 cr market cap stock and is into the "complex" business of pharmaceuticals. Financials at 50+ times PE and 3 times Market cap to sales indicate that the stock is over priced but I would not listen to financials as the company is getting into a lot of new molecules and drugs for cancer etc etc

Without referring to Venus in particular i would advise you that
In tech and pharma do not buy these small caps unless you really understand what they are doing. In case you cannot make sense of their business buy the blue chip leaders in tech and pharma only.

-------------

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 03/Sep/2006 at 11:59pm
Hello Basantjee

What's your view on consumer "brands" like P&G, Gilletee, Nestle, Lotte. Whenever I read books on Warren Buffet, I get a feeling that he would have bought these if he were in India.

By the way I await your posting about Excel sheet on valuations.

Thanks

-------------
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards

Date Posted: 03/Sep/2006 at 12:11pm

WHile these companeis will be steady growers 12% - 18% the era of making big money is over for them. Look at it this way all these while, HLL Nestle etc were dealing with isolated diverse local kirana wallas who had very little bargaining power. With the advent of organized retail the bargaining power will shift from HLL and Nestle to the bigger retailers like http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=217 - Reliance and http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=135 - Pantaloon Retail   etc. Both of them have alrady fired the first salvo by negotiating lower rates for the products that they would be storing. On the other hand HLL, Nestle etc will never die and money will be safe in these foreign FMCG players but as we  go along returns will be moderate and market related only.

Over the years HLL has tried so many things and got into the best of situations. Cost optimization power brands etc. Now further growth is eluding the company because most of its markets have been saturated and efficiencies in operations brought about.  So if you have to bet on between http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=91 - ITC vs. HLL I would prefer ITC any day.

ALso globally you hear more about Wal Mart, Tesco rather then Unilever and Nestle. that tells the whole story.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/Sep/2006 at 12:43pm
Dear Mr. Basant
I have not changed my decesion of reducing of stocks. But I wish not to sell the stocks already what I have in loss. As you know my stock list is a very high and vried and gradually I am trying to go into the better stocks but at the same time it will be pleasurable to sell the stock what I have at profit. So I am not taking in new position in Venus remedies. I am almost in the CMP of my average buy price. So before it can go down I should sell or I should wait for some few days that is my quary. So far whatever I have discussed Except EDUCOMP a fresh buy @ 522 I have not bought anything new other than LLOYD elctricals. True I am averaging out a bit against ny recent sell of some old stocks what I feel to be discussed with you and get ur valuable suggestion. In short no fresh position in Venus and I am only holding what I had. In fact I had a profit in this stock once almost 25% and I did not sell the same at that time. But probably this time I will think where to invest more happily! Again thanks for your valuable suggestion.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Sep/2006 at 12:26pm
Hi Basant,

Reetesh here, have you identified any companies in Consumer product in electronics there are lots of MNC`s in this sector, Like Wirlpool,Sharp,Hitachi etc and if you know any please let us know, amongs them which you would look at, I personally like Wirlpool because of wide range of products it has in its fold. 

Regards,
Reetesh.  

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Sep/2006 at 12:50pm
Without sounding biased consumer electronics is one industry where no one has consistently made money anywhere in the world.Products come and go. At oen point in time SAMSUNG was the worst company today it is the best that is because the eladership changes so fast.

Probably the reaons for that lies in their business model:

1) New technologies and products each day
2) Very little pricing power or rather prices have been coming down no matter what the reason be
3) They are not sector leaders

Now there have been electronic companies in the US like DELL IBM and Intel which made money for investors but these Indian companies are cannot be compared with them. We could look at listed retailers who sell these products. As a retailer it does not amtter if X closes down or Y loses market share you will sell only what the public demands but nothing yet has arrived in India as such.

A company that supplies to all of the majors is http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=131 - Lloyd electric which appears interesting .

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Sep/2006 at 1:33pm

Vimta is rocking sirrrrr!! 10% up today after it was discussed at

the(great)equitydesk.com yesterday!

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Sep/2006 at 2:28pm
If that be the case we can also look at precision wire, good valuation clean management. It is a buy regard less of this discussion.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window