Print Page | Close Window

RoE and RoCE - The important tools.

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Market Strategies
Forum Name: Equity Valuation Techniques
Forum Discription: While valuing equities no individual technique works. Mostly it is a combination of techniques. Discuss the various techniques in equity valuation ranging from PE to RoE to Market Cap
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=119
Printed Date: 27/Apr/2024 at 1:27am

Topic: RoE and RoCE - The important tools.
Posted By: basant
Subject: RoE and RoCE - The important tools.
Date Posted: 16/Jul/2006 at 10:39am
One of the most important but lesser followed tools of financial analysis is the Return on Equity (RoE). Theoratically it defines how much a shareholder earns from a company's operations for each rupee of investment. Most of the service sector companies reflect high RoE's for example Infy, Wipro, HLL etc have RoE's in excess of 40%.

If the  growth rate of the company is more then the RoE the company will have to take on further debt to grow. It is with this premise that smart investors do not buy stocks that promise more then 100% growth. Sometimes companies manage to reflect more then 50 to 60% growth over a sustainaned period of 5 to 7 years. But that is an exception rather then a rule. It is very important to see the sector growth in which  the company is operating in. Normally it is very difficult to grow more then 2 times the sector.

Now the RoE is what the company can earn on the shareholder's money.Let us assume that the shareholders funds (Capital + Reserves) are Rs 100 crores so with an RoE of 25% this company can earn a profit of Rs 25 crores next year. This year the shreholders funds are now RS 125 crores (100 + 25) and on this the company can earn another 25% or Rs31.25 crores. If the company wants to earn Rs 50 crores i.e show a growth rate of 40% (40% of Rs 125 crores = Rs 50 crores) it can do so by only increasing the RoE or putting in further debt capital so that the net incremental revenue to the shareholders after deducting for the interest is positive to the extent of Rs 12.5 crore (Rs 50 crore - Rs 37.5 crore). If the RoCE is 20%(Generally it is lower then the RoE) and the interest rate 10% then the company will have to earn a post interest earning of 10% (RoCE (20%) - Inteerst(10%)). Now to earn a 12.5 crore @ 10% means that the company will have to leverage itself by 125 crores (12.5/10%).

Therefore it becomes very difficult to grow at rates higher then your RoE in cases where the growth rate is substantially higher then the RoE.

A company that want to grow at rates very high to its RoE is Pantaloon Retail and investors should understand the risks before jumping on.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Replies:
Posted By: dummy
Date Posted: 17/Jul/2006 at 11:57pm
See these things are good only in hind sight if you try and put in a lot of algebra and arithmetic you are bound to be misled by noise. I have seen balance sheets change over periods of 3 to 4 quarters. One big order, one large transaction makes all the difference to a small cap. On the other hand if the business is good and the management competent and effective then they would steer the company from the back waters. HLL has an RoE of 40% but its growth is only 10%. How do you explain this anamoly.

Posted By: Vivek Sukhani
Date Posted: 05/Aug/2006 at 2:52pm
1. When we calculate ROCE or ROE, shall we take into account the average or the closing Equity or the caputal Employed as the case may be?

2.While calculating ROCE, shouldn't we use PBIT and apply the tax rate, and divide the resulting figure by the Averaging Capital Employed?

3.As far as ROE goes, shall we not deduct preference Dividend from PAT and deduct the equitu to the extent of preference Shraes outstanding at the start of the period?

4.What should be the ideal CAGR to P/E ratio?

5.While calculating CAGR, shall we use the Net Turnover or PAT?

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Date Posted: 05/Aug/2006 at 3:21pm

1) Generally the best way to compute ROCE is by taking average capital employed or average Shareholder funds (equity + Reserves)

This "average" is determined by opening + 1/2 of current year's profit (for RoE) or PBDIT (for RoCE) as the case may be. But whether you do it on opening or average basis the difference is generally very small so in most cases it does not matter unless you are documenting your data.

3) Yes.

3) Preference dividend is deducted from RoE the easiest way to compute RoE is EPS/Book Value. That is why I say the more the book value the less the chances of a higher RoE

4) Should be 1, less then that is cheaper and more then that costly.

5) To get a broad first hand view we do it with sales because that is toughest to fudge but to calculate equity value EPS growth has to be seen.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Date Posted: 05/Aug/2006 at 3:36pm
I am satisfied with your replies but then I beleive
ROCE=(PBIT(1-Tax rate))/Average capital Employed

This would give the best picture.I think we must take not allow depreciation to jack up the ROCE. I take capital Employed as the Sum of shareholders' funds+ Long Term Debts. Infact , I was using shareholders funds to calculate ROE. Am I wrong in doing so?

Date Posted: 05/Aug/2006 at 3:42pm
No you are correct, RoE is always computed keeping shareholder funds (equity capital + reserve - prel exp etc) in the denominator.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Aug/2006 at 3:54pm
Mr. basant, I have seen something very strange. If you pay your entire reported EPS by way of dividend, meaning you retain nothing, then over a period the ROCE jumps up.That is because, your CASH EPS -Reported EPS is getting retained.Also, remember, that Cash has an impact on the future financial years' income(through interest). what do you say?

Actually, it is working like this... 100 p.c. pay-out in itself implies Net zero accretion to capital employed.So, that becomes a constant, say k.Now, because of the net cash being added to the balance sheet, the coming years' other income increases. As a result, ROCE jumps up.

Date Posted: 05/Aug/2006 at 4:14pm
If you pay all your EPS then theoritically you will not be able to grow growth is RoE(1- dividend pay out ratio) that means that profit will be constant.

Also  my sense is that RoCE should be constant because if net capital employed is constant so is the PBIT after tax. After a while it will start to come down since the company will not be able to spend anything on upgradation of plant etc.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Aug/2006 at 6:29pm

I see a flaw in the formula. actually, EPS is not your actual cash income. Inspite of your paying 100 p.c. out of your EPS, you have a cash surplus( note, their are items which reduce your EPS, but doesnt lead to cash outflows, like depreciation). This surplus, if employed for income generating assets liek bonds or MF increases your other income in the subsequent years.But, then there is no change capital employed and is a constant. So, net result is ROCE goes up.

Example-Foseco India Limited

Date Posted: 05/Aug/2006 at 6:42pm
But you cannot use that surplus to grow.

1)Over a period of time asset productivity will decline in case you do not replace or upgrade them so the surplus cannot be employed outside the business because if you do that your assets will start generating less income

2) A point will be reached where you will have no assets and at that point in time you will have to withdraw from your bonds and redeploy the cash into business so there is no sustainable growth in earnings.

3) Also bonds will generate an 8 to 10% earnings whereas efficient businesses do about more then 20% the RoE will decline as you will be combining a high RoE income (operating) with a low RoE income (interest from bonds)whereas the RoCE in any case does not take into account non operating earnings so might go up for one or two years but then decline swiftly as assets lose productivity.

4) The moment you have growth from bond earnings the market will de rate the stock and give it a lower PE. Markets do not like non operating earning.

Interesting question really!

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Aug/2006 at 7:03pm
Actually, I was trying to understand the financials of Foseco India Limited and I came across this proposition. I have been in an investor in this stock for about nine months and have received 5 dividends(four I have received and 1 I will receive shortly, as ot has gone ex). If you get time, you study this company in thread bare details.Its an amazing company, and I am finding that even the EPS has started to move northwardly. Do give me your valuable feedback on Foseco India Limited

Date Posted: 05/Aug/2006 at 8:17pm

Actually, Mr. Basant its not just the ROCE thats important.Its the slope of the ROCE curve(if that be plotted on graph with ROCE on x-axis and year in the y-axis), thats important. Actually, the points of inflexion on the ROCE curve shows growth, stagnation or decline.The same goes for the EPS as well.see, as an investor I look for 2 things:

1.Dividend
2.Growth in the EPS organically

My recent find has been Plastiblends(I) Limited. I am finding it to be correct on evry count. ROCE is very good. Good investments. Negligible debt on the books. Good WC management.Correct Fixed Assets management.Superb management quality. Do offer some feed-back.

Date Posted: 05/Aug/2006 at 8:30pm
What does the company do? What is the busienss mdoel? To me that is more important then the financials because if you have a good business model financials start falling into place.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Aug/2006 at 8:35pm
The company is into the business of making masterbatches. It is a product used widely in plastic industry.The company has 10-15 p.c. market share in its line. Its chief competitor as far as I know is clariant Chemicals.has been growing well over the years.Belongs to a group which has perhaps one of the best corporate ethics I have ever come across.I know people dont talk of them, yet beleive you me, it displays so much ethics in its conduct of business, that it is an investor's delight.

Posted By: Equity Buff
Date Posted: 02/Oct/2006 at 5:25pm
Now the RoE is what the company can earn on the shareholder's money.Let us assume that the shareholders funds (Capital + Reserves) are Rs 100 crores so with an RoE of 25% this company can earn a profit of Rs 25 crores next year. This year the shreholders funds are now RS 125 crores (100 + 25) and on this the company can earn another 25% or Rs31.25 crores. If the company wants to earn Rs 50 crores i.e show a growth rate of 40% (40% of Rs 125 crores = Rs 50 crores) it can do so by only increasing the RoE or putting in further debt capital so that the net incremental revenue to the shareholders after deducting for the interest is positive to the extent of Rs 12.5 crore (Rs 50 crore - Rs 37.5 crore). If the RoCE is 20%(Generally it is lower then the RoE) and the interest rate 10% then the company will have to earn a post interest earning of 10% (RoCE (20%) - Inteerst(10%)). Now to earn a 12.5 crore @ 10% means that the company will have to leverage itself by 125 crores (12.5/10%).

Therefore it becomes very difficult to grow at rates higher then your RoE in cases where the growth rate is substantially higher then the RoE.

A company that want to grow at rates very high to its RoE is Pantaloon Retail and investors should understand the risks before jumping on.
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Basant,

In above example :shareholder funds 100 cr, 25% ROE, Net profit next year 25 cr, next year share holder funds 125 cr, 25% ROE, net profit following year 31.25 cr. Growth in profit 25%(25 CR TO 31.25 CR). If instead company wants to earn 50 cr (that means 100% profit growth 25 cr to 50 cr) that means 40% ROE. I dont know how you have got a figure of 37.5 cr above. Kindly clarify. Should it not be 50 cr - 31.25 cr = 18.75 cr. If ROCE is 20% and interest rate is 10% then to earn 18.75cr at 10% company will have to leverage itself by 187.5 cr is it not ?

Also Basant, you mentioned somewhere that if there is a big difference between ROE and earnings growth, earnings growth being much higher than ROE, company does not merit investment because company to acheive higher earnings growth comapred to ROE will need to dilute capital or go for debt. But by doing this for example the company will add more stores or more manufacturing capacity as the case may be and this could lead to further gowth in EPS (albeit with some time lag) so why should investment in such companies be avoided ? Dont you think we could miss some multibaggers this way ? Isnt Pantaloon trying to grow its earnings at growth rates much higher than its ROE ?

Your views/explanation will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Date Posted: 02/Oct/2006 at 5:51pm
Should it not be 50 cr - 31.25 cr = 18.75 cr. If ROCE is 20% and interest rate is 10% then to earn 18.75cr at 10% company will have to leverage itself by 187.5 cr is it not ?

You are correct while writing I sometimes juggle with the numbers Sorry about that.It should be 31.25 crs.
company to acheive higher earnings growth comapred to ROE will need to dilute capital or go for debt. But by doing this for example the company will add more stores or more manufacturing capacity as the case may be and this could lead to further gowth in EPS

Yes the EPS will grow but two things that would not adversely affect return of shareholders are:
1) CO. goes in for debt issue
2) CO, goes in for rights issue.

In case the company makes a placement like Adlabs did or http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=277 - http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=135 - http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=135 -

Date Posted: 02/Oct/2006 at 7:42pm
if there is a big difference between ROE and earnings growth, earnings growth being much higher than ROE, company does not merit investment.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Basant,

So the above statement is not true, as if the company raises Equity through rights issue or small private placement or preferential issue or debt it should be fine. Even the time lag where EPS may be impacted for a short time till earnings also start flowing in from additional investments made by the additional funds raised does not necessarily mean that the stock should be sold. If the company can continue growing EPS at a good growth rate 30% plus in the med to long term the stock should not be sold. Because otherwise one could have sold early and missed a multi bagger. Do you agree ?

Dosent a right issue also dilute EPS and ROE temporarily, till the earnings start flowing in from the investments made by proceeds from the rights issue ?

Rgds.

Date Posted: 02/Oct/2006 at 8:25pm
No it is not false. generally there is a limit as to how much debt you can take and also more debt is dangerous. Also there is a limit as to how much you could raise by way of a rights issue. Generally you cannot have a 1:1 rights at market price. So theoratically it seems Ok but there are severe drawbacks on this front.

So if The RoE is 30% and the growth rate is 100% think of the amount of debt that needs to be raise or the rights offering that the company would have to do.I tend to look at existing debt equity structure and analyse if the company could do with some more debt etc etc.

In a rights issue an investor's holding does not get diluted (as long as he does not sell the shares in hand to apply) as it does in case of a pvt placement (which is bad just the degree differs).

For example if I hold say 10,000 shares of Co. A total equity 1 crore shares then I have a 0.1% holding  If the company places 25 lac shares to an outsider then my holding drops to 0.08%. THAT HURTS!

In case of rights or debt my relative holding stays unchanged so I can suffer a temporary drop in EPS and then make it up after a while.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/Oct/2006 at 8:52pm
Dear Basant,

You post above that is exactly my point.

Do you agree with the below which was posted earlier.

Even the time lag where EPS may be impacted for a short time till earnings also start flowing in from additional investments made by the additional funds raised(Rights or debt or small private placement) does not necessarily mean that the stock should be sold. If the company can continue growing EPS at a good growth rate 30% plus in the med to long term the stock should not be sold. Because otherwise one could have sold early and missed a multi bagger. Do you agree ?

The fact that Pantaloon is growing at 100% plus with ROE of 25% and still many of us are very bullish on this stock dosent it suggest that just because a companies earnings growth rate is much higher than its ROE  does not mean that in does not merit investment. As we agree Pantaloon cetainly merits investment even at this level given the scale of opportunity and management.

Rgds.

Date Posted: 02/Oct/2006 at 9:05pm
To (1) Yes I do. See I always like to look at the financials but the buy/sell call is primarily business driven. I could have sold http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=135 -

Now http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=135 -

Date Posted: 02/Oct/2006 at 11:29pm

Basantjee,

Thanks for your reply and confirmation that you agree with what I posted in my earlier post. It is good to get confirmation from a very good stock analyst and a professional investor like you as it increases my conviction on how I value growth stocks.

Warm Regards.

Posted By: jack
Date Posted: 05/Dec/2006 at 6:51pm
Dear Mr. Basant,
Can you throw some light regarding market cap, How to buy stocks based on market cap, and how to judge whether the price is expensive or cheap based on market cap.

Posted By: psimajin
Date Posted: 06/Mar/2007 at 11:06pm
Basantji,
One of Buffett finacial tenets

Has the Company created at least one dollar of market value for every dollar retained ?

While calculating ROE ,ROCE  earning retained does not come into calculation. But they are part of share holder fund.

Date Posted: 06/Mar/2007 at 7:59am
Yes, but this is funny lower the retained earnings sitting on the balance sheet  higher the RoE and higher the PE(because sustainable growth is higher)!!!

-------------

Posted By: harishbihani
Date Posted: 16/Apr/2007 at 12:19pm

Does P/E Matter?

Leaving the question of price aside, the best business to own is one that over an extended period can employ large amounts of incremental capital at very high rates of return. The worst business to own is one that must, or will, do the opposite—that is, consistently employ ever-greater amounts of capital at very low rates of return. Unfortunately, the first type of business is very hard to find . . .”- Warren Buffett

One morning, a friend came to me and said, “ You have to buy this stock, it is trading at a P/E of only ten times this year's earnings, and everything else in the sector is over 20 times! It is also growing a rate of 20%, thus PEG is 1/2”.

I was stumped. I asked, “ How did you arrive at the calculation?”

My friend said, “ I just read a report of a prominent brokerage house that has given a buy on this stock, based on its low P/E multiple and high growth rate compared to its peers.”

I retorted, “If the investing funda was so simple then we all would be very very rich. You are hoping this stock somehow wakes up one day, realizes it doesn't get the same respect as its peers, and starts to go up. I have analysed the company. Its return on capital (ROIC, Please refer to the end of the article for detailed defination of ROIC) is less than its cost of capital. Thus with high growth it is only destroying shareholders value faster”.

That meeting is still fresh in my mind to this day. It serves as a reminder about how the valuation metrics used by most of the analysts are inadequate in projecting stock price movements. It has also taught me the ultimate importance of defining in clear terms what edge does the company have over others.

P/E multiple is the most used and the most abused multiple in the investment world. It is generally believed that company with high growth rates will have high multiples and vice versa and if one finds a stock with high growth but low P/E than it’s a good buy. But what we fail to appreciate is the important role that returns on capital (ROIC) play in channelling growth into a high or low multiple. It's common sense: growth requires investment, and if the investment doesn't yield an adequate return over the cost of capital, it won't create shareholder value. That means no boost to share price and no increase in the P/E multiple.

To illustrate, most Retail companies, like Pantaloon, are witnessing high growth. To give high P/E multiples to retail companies just because of their high growth is misleading, as it doesn't take into account returns on capital (ROIC). Retail companies fight it out primarily on price, which translates into lower margins and relatively low returns on capital. Such high P/Es, based on the high growth rate of the company, will not be sustainable.

To demonstrate the relationship between Growth, ROIC & P/E, Michael Mauboussin, CIO of Legg Mason Capital Management, developed a grid describing growth and return for a theoretical company. The grid clearly proves that P/E is determined by both ROIC & growth. The table is shown below: -

ROIC and P/E Multiples: Theory

Earnings

ROIC

Growth

4%

8%

16%

24%

4%

6.1×

12.5×

15.7×

16.7×

6%

1.3x

12.5x

18.1x

20x

8%

NM

12.5x

21.3x

24.2x

10%

NM

12.5x

25.5x

29.9x

NM = not meaningful.

Note: Assumes all equity financed; 8 percent WACC; 20-year

forecast period.

Source: LMCM analysis.

Thus we see that it is both growth and ROIC that determines whether company will create or destroy value. We as investors should look for the rare company that can combine high growth with high returns on capital.

We should remember that we should not avoid stocks just because it has a high multiple relative to peers or buy a stock with high growth but low P/E multiple. We should try and understand the complex chemistry of growth, return on invested capital, and P/E multiples while making investment decision.

To summarize, we see that P/E and company’s investment success or failure will be determined by:

=     Growth rate of the company

=     The magnitude of capital required to sustain the growth

=     The spread between the return on capital and the cost of capital and how long a company can deploy capital at positive spreads

Views expressed in the article are personal and does not represent that of the company where the author is working. This article is for information only and is not intended as an offer or solicitation with respect to the purchase or sale of any security. This article was written for valuenotes.com. Comments and suggestions are invited at mailto:[email protected] - [email protected]

Please Note the defination of ROIC:

ROIC measures the amount of cash generated by each dollar of capital invested in a company’s operations. It measures how effectively a company has deployed the capital invested in its business in generating cash flow. A company whose ROIC exceeds its cost of capital generates positive net cash flow, thereby creating value; a company whose ROIC is less than its cost of capital generates negative net cash flow from an economic perspective, thereby destroying value; and a company whose ROIC equals its cost of capital neither creates nor destroys value.

Definition: ROIC measures the amount of cash generated by each dollar of capital invested in a company’s operations.

Formula:

ROIC =  NOPAT /AVG Invested Capital

or

ROIC = NOPAT /Beg. Invested Capital

Where NOPAT: Net Operating Profits After-Taxes.

NOPAT (Net Operating Profits After-Tax)

NOPAT is operating profit free from any effects of the capital structure. NOPAT is one of the best ways to measure the cash generated by a company’s operations as it takes away the effects of non-operating items such as investment income, non-recurring charges and goodwill amortization.

INVESTED CAPITAL (IC)

Invested capital is the amount of all cash that has been invested in the company’s business since its inception. It is important to note that many of the adjustments made to calculate NOPAT would affect invested capital as well.

-------------
Harish Bihani

Date Posted: 16/Apr/2007 at 12:30pm
Good point. But .lower margins does not necessarily mean lower RoCEor RoE; margins are just one component in the DUponmt analysis (ROE). Also companies cannot keep growing http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=119 - RoCE   rates of lower then cost of capital; they would go bust and the amrket knows all that.

Many times there are huge funds invested into businesses that have yet to contribute to the bottomline. For example Trent always have a lower http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=119 - RoCE   because it holds so much cash; Pantaloon has invested into multiple businesses so taking the total invested capital could be incorrect because those investments are yet to throw back any cash.

Devina Mehra of First Global is a great proponent of the  http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=119 - RoCE   theory.

-------------

Posted By: xbox
Date Posted: 16/Apr/2007 at 12:49pm

Good discussion. I really enjoyed both of them. Both are correct. RoCE is good taraju.

A low RoCE is either boon or bane and vice-versa. One has to see these data in some context. This is where Management counts (Basant jee's said it today). All these data are derived from Management/sector/business model. Rather than focusing 100% on these data, one must look at them. This is difference between INFY and NIIT. Somebody well said investing is art and science.
Art never comes in formula but does not always work as well.

-------------
Don't bet on pig after all bull & bear in circle.

Date Posted: 16/Apr/2007 at 12:57pm
Many times focussing on the RoCE can get us wrong. COmpanies like HLL have RoCE of more then 40% but they are not growing so at some point in time the sector; business and management comes into play.

ITC had kind of saturated the market in cigarette sales so what di it do with incremental cash; invest in high RoCE businesses and that has kept ITC going or rather growing.

Basically investing is like a 8 blind men looking at an elephant. We need to see with eyes open whether the tail is actually a snake or really a tail.

Sometimes I get confused on which matrix to stress upon then the management/ business comes into play.

For example equity dilution is considered a sin but pantaloon and Tv18 have diluted equity left right and center and investors have made 55 timeand 10 times respectively. Why is that so.

That is because they have ensured that new busineses create a RoE of at least what their old businesses are doing.

So equity dilution with a stable RoE is a boon because it ibcreases market share.

-------------

Date Posted: 16/Apr/2007 at 6:24pm
Dear Basantji,

ROIC is different from ROCE, and is one of the most important tool for valuation purpose.

ROCE= operating profit/ capital employed

ROCE have problem because it mixes accounting earnings ( operating profit) with the book value of capital employed, which is subjective. 

In EVA one uses ROIC and not ROCE.

EVA=(ROIC-WACC)*INVESTED CAPITAL .

ROIC analysis facilitates the early and accurate identification of fundamental changes in operating performance by quantifying the magnitude and direction of change in operating profitability. In contrast, the reported earnings metrics of EPS, EBITDA and ROE often fail, are slow to reflect or, even worse, mask changes on the margin in a company’s business.

THE MECHANICS OF ROIC

Return on invested capital (ROIC) is one of the most important financial metrics, but is not well known by investors because ROIC cannot be calculated straight out of financial statements. When coupled with the weighed average cost of capital (WACC), ROIC becomes one of the most important drivers to value creation. The cost of capital represents the minimum rate of return (adjusted for risk) that a company must earn to create value for shareholders and debt holders. ROIC is measured against the cost of capital, which is what makes it such an important concept. 

Definition: ROIC measures the amount of cash generated by each dollar of capital invested in a company’s operations.

Formula:

ROIC =  NOPAT /AVG Invested Capital

or

ROIC = NOPAT /Beg. Invested Capital

Where NOPAT: Net Operating Profits After-Taxes

Interpretation: It measures how effectively a company has deployed the capital invested in its business in generating cash flow. A company whose ROIC exceeds its cost of capital generates positive net cash flow, thereby creating value; a company whose ROIC is less than its cost of capital generates negative net cash flow from an economic perspective, thereby destroying value; and a company whose ROIC equals its cost of capital neither creates nor destroys value.

Mechanics: There are two components in the ROIC formula. The first one is net operating profits after-tax (NOPAT) and the second one is invested capital (IC). The difficulty in calculating ROIC is that it requires adjustments to be made from the financial statements. More important than knowing how to make adjustments is to know why they are being made. The following section addresses these issues.

NOPAT (Net Operating Profits After-Tax)

NOPAT is operating profit free from any effects of the capital structure. NOPAT is one of the best ways to measure the cash generated by a company’s operations as it takes away the effects of non-operating items such as investment income, non-recurring charges and goodwill amortization.

NOPAT:

1.   Calculate Net Operating Profit Before Taxes (NOPBT)

Start with:

+      Sales

Minus: 

-      Cost of goods sold

-      Selling and marketing expenses

-      General and administrative expenses

-      R&D

-      Depreciation

-      Other operating expenses

-      (Ignore expenses such as non-recurring charges(please refer to the end of the article), amortization of goodwill, stock options, non-cash items, acquired in-process R&D…)

Add back:

-      Amortization of goodwill (if included in depreciation)

2.   Subtract Operating Taxes

There are two ways to charge NOBPT with operating taxes:

-      NOPAT = NOPBT x (1-CTR)

Make an assumption: establish a cash tax rate (CTR) equal to the effective tax rate as reported on the income statement and if the effective tax rate is artificially low, establish a tax rate somewhere between 35%-40%.

-         NOPAT = NOPBT – Cash Operating Taxes

-         Cash operating taxes can be calculated as follows: 

+ Provision for income taxes              + Add change in deferred tax assets

+ Add tax shield from interest expense (Interest Expense x Tax Rate)         - Subtract change in deferred tax liabilities - Subtract tax paid on investment income (Investment Income x Tax Rate)

=  Cash operating taxes (please refer to the end of the article)

With cash operating taxes, you can calculate the effective CTR: 

Cash operating tax paid/NOPBT = Cash tax rate

This cash tax rate can be used as the effective CTR, unless it is too low compared to the effective tax rate under GAAP.

INVESTED CAPITAL (IC)

Invested capital is the amount of all cash that has been invested in the company’s business since its inception. It is important to note that many of the adjustments made to calculate NOPAT would affect invested capital as well.

Invested Capital equals:

+    Net working capital

+    Net property, plant & equipment

+    Other operating assets

+            Operating L-T investments (unless they are long-term low-risk income securities) (please refer to the end of the article)

+    Gross goodwill

+            Unrecorded goodwill

+            Cumulative non-recurring costs

To conclude, ROIC is more important than the P/E ratio, growth rates and EPS. If investors would like to know more about ROIC and value creation then I would recommend that they read Valuations- By Mckinsey & Co and The Quest for Value.

Below is the definition of a few items mentioned above: -

Non-recurring Costs (or Gains): Non-recurring costs were ignored from the calculation of NOPAT because they do not represent operating costs. Non-recurring costs include: merger and acquisition related costs, litigation costs, and costs from extraordinary events. Non-recurring gains are also subtracted from the equation. 

Cash Tax Rate: By establishing a cash tax rate or by calculating the actual cash operating taxes, we have removed from the equation all taxes that were paid on investment income and the tax shield that was provided by the interest expenses. In some cases, companies may be charged with a cash operating tax while they have actually never paid taxes under GAAP due to the tax shield provided by interest expense. However, with NOPAT, our goal is to de-leverage the company and make no discrimination as to whether or not the company is debt financed or not. Therefore we charge all companies with positive NOPBT with taxes. The tax shield from debt financing is incorporated in the weighted average cost of capital as it uses the after-tax cost of debt.

Beware, sometimes the cash operating tax paid may be lower than usual (due to timing of deferred taxes). If it is the case, we suggest that investors choose the most conservative approach (highest tax rate).

Cash and S-T & L-T Investments: Some companies are facing a happy problem: excess cash. These companies have been accumulating cash in a way that far exceed their needs to fund working capital and to finance growth opportunities. The decision to include cash in invested capital or not will have a dramatic impact on ROIC.

Excess cash is usually invested in S-T and L-T risk-free assets such as government bonds and CDs. By definition, cash does not create nor destroy value. Therefore, it would be inappropriate to incur a capital charge on cash that has yet to be invested in operating assets. 

We’ve already removed the interest income from cash accounts in NOPAT. To be consistent, we are removing all cash from Invested Capital. Some will argue that cash is needed to fund working capital needs, which is true. However, to quantify how much is needed looking only at the balance sheet or using metrics such as the cash conversion cycle or the flow ratio is more art than a science. To keep things simple, we are removing all cash from Invested Capital. 

-------------
Harish Bihani

Date Posted: 16/Apr/2007 at 6:40pm
Thanks for that I got the point but these are Ok for stable companies but the discretion is far gerater for growing ones because let us assume that a companmy has spent Rs 200 crrores in a new venture say an insurance venture. Now because this 200 crores is apart of operating asset it would reduce ROIC which is in otherwords means  taking out the non trade investments from capital employed or Fixed asets + Working capital + loans and advances + Trade investments.

So the problem is that because the returns from this new venture have not yet accrued it becoems difficult to compute ROIC also companies do not indicate how much money thery have locked in different businesses because of competitive reasons etc.

That is what I was trying to suggest.

-------------

Date Posted: 16/Apr/2007 at 10:47pm
Hi harish,

As far as computauin of effective tax rate goes, cant we simply use the Provosion for tax as is provided....Companies show deferred tax and income tax se[arately, so whats the need in computing for deferred tax.

Otherwise all steps are lucidly clear.

Thanks and regards

vivek

Date Posted: 17/Apr/2007 at 5:59pm
Hi,

While calculating ROIC we are trying to get a ratio that does not have any effects of the capital structure. Accordingly we remove/add back any item that might bring the capital structure effect on ROIC calculation. The final ratio is very helpful for industry comparison, unlike ROE/ROCE, which has the effect of capital structure and is ineffective for industry comparison.

Thus with tax rate too one should remove any benefits that has been derived due to capital structure of a company. By establishing a cash tax rate or by calculating the actual cash operating taxes, we have removed from the equation all taxes that were paid on investment income and the tax shield that was provided by the interest expenses.

-------------
Harish Bihani

Date Posted: 17/Apr/2007 at 6:51pm
By establishing a cash tax rate or by calculating the actual cash operating taxes, we have removed from the equation all taxes that were paid on investment income and the tax shield that was provided by the interest expenses.

-------------

Posted By: Mr. V
Date Posted: 17/Apr/2007 at 9:14am
I came across the item "reserves excluding revaluation reserves" in the financial statements of some companies like Blue Star.
Is this the same as Reserves ?
If yes, then if a company has significant Reserves, what does it mean in a qualitative sense ?

What are the most effective ways for the management to increase shareholder wealth using these reserves ?

Can it use the reserves to buy back shares?
Can it distribute the reserves by way of dividend payout ?
Can it deploy the reserves in a growth business to increase EPS ?

Date Posted: 17/Apr/2007 at 9:36am
The best of the three options is to increase EPS as long as the return on that business exceeds the cost of capital. Buying back shares or paying off the money as dividend theoritically have the same implications because in both the cases money is being returned back to the shareholders.

Nevertheless it is always better to buy out the shares because a buy out helps in later years (reduced equity) whereas a dividend payment is one time for one year.

-------------

Date Posted: 17/Apr/2007 at 9:48am
Okay so if the company cannot effectively deploy the reserves in operating business then it should buy back shares. Right ?

High reserves will keep the ROE low until the time the management finds avenues to effectively deploy it. Right ?

Reserves/No. of shares = Cash per share Right ?

My apologies if the questions are too elemental for Teddies. I just want to reiterate and clear some basic fundaas once and for all   

Date Posted: 17/Apr/2007 at 9:54am
Reserves/No. of shares = Cash per share Right ?

Not quite because reserves could be deployed in fixed assets also but (Capital + Res)/No. of shares = Book value.

Cash per share is generally cash in hand + Bank + liquid marketable securities / No. of shares

-------------

Date Posted: 17/Apr/2007 at 10:17am
What are the typical examples of fixed assets ?
Is there any particular section in Quarterly results, P&L and Annual balance sheet that reports the Cash in hand, Bank & Liquid investments ?

Date Posted: 17/Apr/2007 at 11:06am
Fixed assets = land building, machinery,vehicle etc. You get it in the balance sheet = >assets side

-------------

Posted By: kanagala
Date Posted: 17/Apr/2007 at 11:37am
I have the following question,
Though ROE of the company is less, if the price is significantly less than the book value, this much be a good investment candidate. Compared to the company which has high ROE and high PE. Am i missing something here?

Is there any way to find out the cyclicality of the company by looking at the numbers without going into subjective analysis?

Date Posted: 17/Apr/2007 at 11:53am
Originally posted by kanagala

I have the following question,
Though ROE of the company is less, if the price is significantly less than the book value, this much be a good investment candidate. Compared to the company which has high ROE and high PE. Am i missing something here?

Is there any way to find out the cyclicality of the company by looking at the numbers without going into subjective analysis?

Normally high RoE and high PE go hand in hand. If you get a high RoEwith lowe PE then it is a clear bargain. Given a choice I would go with high RoE and high PE rather then low RoE and low price/BV.

Look at the past years results to see whether it is cyclical or not-cyclical business will always show erratic sales and profit mommentum.

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Apr/2007 at 9:47pm
Thanks Basant for all the answers.

Date Posted: 26/Apr/2007 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by basant

Normally high RoE and high PE go hand in hand. If you get a high RoEwith lowe PE then it is a clear bargain. Given a choice I would go with high RoE and high PE rather then low RoE and low price/BV.

Look at the past years results to see whether it is cyclical or not-cyclical business will always show erratic sales and profit mommentum.

Sir,
These numbers are for Godrej Consum.

Financial summary (Consolidated)
Y/EMar  Sales  EPS P/E(x) RoE(%) RoCE(%) EV/EBIDTA(x)
2006   6,980   5.0   36.1    177.0    129.2      29.2
2007   9,532   6.2   23.9    131.4      75.5      19.2
2008E 11,111 7.4   19.4    100.8      64.8      15.9
2009E 12,574 8.8   16.4      83.9      72.4      13.6
Source: *Consensus broker estimates, Company, ENAM estimates

ROE 100% means EPS = BV.  How do we interpret these numbers?
How come this company is able to generate such a high ROE?

Date Posted: 26/Apr/2007 at 11:30pm
Congratulations on having picked up this exception from thin air!!!

God Cons is a good company hair dyes are big scalable opportunities in India because internationally hair colour is bigger then shampoo market but is only 10% of that in India but...............

I dare say this is not sustainable. Maybe company was a turnaround having very low book value and hence this magic.

Suppose a company is in losses so it will have low book value and when it turns around the book value would be very small hence EPS could be equal to BV - just a guess work!

-------------

Date Posted: 26/Apr/2007 at 11:39pm

Congratulations on having picked up this exception from thin air!!!

God Cons is a good company hair dyes are big scalable opportunities in India because internationally hair colour is bigger then shampoo market but is only 10% of that in India but...............

I dare say this is not sustainable. Maybe company was a turnaround having very low book value and hence this magic.

Suppose a company is in losses so it will have low book value and when it turns around the book value would be very small hence EPS could be equal to BV - just a guess work!

Hello sir,
This company has negative current assents(negative working capital). I am unable to understand this in terms of business and financial sense.

Posted By: kaushalchawla
Date Posted: 06/Aug/2007 at 6:03am
Basantji,

Can Cash flow be negative and ROCE and ROE be positive? Under what circumstances can that be?? How would you rate a company having high ROCE and ROE but negative free and net cash flows?

-------------
Warm Regards,
Kaushal

Date Posted: 06/Aug/2007 at 8:16am
Well, Cash flows has little correlation with ROCE/ROE. You can have high operating margins and returns but if all the returns are flowing into asset deployment then cash flows may be affected. the capex requirement may take a huge toll on company's cash flows. however, there is very little doubt that as prudent investors we should try to stick with companies which throw bundles of cash in their operations. the matching of sources and applications of funds  do throw a lot of hints about the management direction....

Posted By: kaushalchawla
Date Posted: 06/Aug/2007 at 9:01am

what i conclude is if the company is growing, though it might be profit making, but because of expansion capex, the cash flow may be -ve currently. Nothing to bother....plz correct me if i am wrong.

-------------
Warm Regards,
Kaushal

Date Posted: 06/Aug/2007 at 11:51am
Well I think you are correct in your opinion.....basant Sir may elaborate further as i am on the camp that unnecessarily is a total no-no.

Posted By: smartcat
Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 3:47pm
Negative cash flow should not be a reason for not investing in a stock. Bharti/Rel Com have probably never been cash flow positive.

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 07/Sep/2007 at 11:37am
Interesting article http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1120288 - here in Dna Money

The Nifty has delivered a return of 386% to 4518.60 since the bull run started around April 2003. In the past one year, the index returned about 30%. Given this, it’s easy to think that almost all the stocks must have delivered.

But a study of 1,618 companies with a five-year track record shows that 64 have delivered negative returns of between (-)0.6% and (-) 90%.

One of the reasons for the underperformance could be the falling return on capital employed (ROCE) in the past four years for these companies.

ROCE measures the returns generated on total capital invested in percentage terms. Simply put, it is the amount earned by a company for every rupee invested in the business.

The ratio essentially measures the capital efficiency of a company. It is important specially to measure the profitability of capital-intensive industries such as power utilities, telecommunications and oil companies.

One simple reason for the falling ROCE could be that companies have diluted their equity or have taken loans on books to finance any future opportunities.

For example, Ranbaxy Laboratories has increased its total debt size by 576.19% to Rs 3,955.62 crore since 2003. Analysts say the debt is to take care of its future acquisition needs.

Another reason for the drop in ROCE could be the capex cycle of companies. Most companies are on an expansion spree currently given that India’s GDP is growing at around 9%. When companies forecast robust demand in future they draw up the expansion plans to cater to it.

It takes time for capacities to come on stream and generate revenues. When these capacities do come on stream, initially ROCE tends to rise. However, as soon as supply starts to surpass demand, the ratio starts to fall as oversupply results in a drop in prices.

Analysts maintain that when a company’s revenues do not grow in sync with the costs then the ROCE gets adversely affected. ROCE generally deals with the pretax profits.

However, 27 companies out of 64 have shown negative profits in recent times and most of them have nil ROCE in that time. What this means largely is that lower revenues have resulted in the negative profits.

However, despite delivering negative returns, some companies have seen a growth in their ROCE in the course of five years. One among them is PCS technology; here the growth in ROCE can be attributed to the growth in revenues.

One of the major drawbacks of ROCE is that the assets of a business depreciate over a period of time. If the business is old, the ratio will thus look inflated. Precisely the reason why some of the older businesses deliver higher ROCE as compared to newer companies.

Also another hitch could be that inflation could lead to an increase in revenues but its not reflected in the capital invested by a company and in such cases the ratio could be misleading. All said and done ROCE remains one of the powerful tools to measure the profitability of a company.

-------------
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards

Date Posted: 07/Sep/2007 at 11:48am
One of the major drawbacks of ROCE is that the assets of a business depreciate over a period of time. If the business is old, the ratio will thus look inflated. Precisely the reason why some of the older businesses deliver higher ROCE as compared to newer companies.
Excellent point. Shows how thorough this writer is wwith his thoughts. Unfortunately companies that have existed for more then 10 years are all low RoCE business cement, steel, textiles etc. The high RoCE bsuinesses will take some time to deliver above average returns.

Is this what Vivek calls the benefit of building up a depreciation reserve?

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Sep/2007 at 12:22pm
Yes.....I like companies which provide a very big amount in depreciation....and most importantly i like companies which net off loans and advances and investments....I look at roce with some modifications. I will net off cash balance, investments and loans and advances from the denominator and reduce the EBIT by the interest received and dividend received on investments. I will not tinker the fixed asset with anything like my dad does with replacement value for in my opinion, I am not bothered whats the replacement value as I am not here to replace my assets. In the future years if the machines are in operating conditions and have become almost totally depreciated then the advantage accrues to the company. This is very starkly visible with shipping companies......these companies earn so huge and provide a very big amount for depreciation, amortisation and impairment and in the process reduce their profits artificially. And I would like my companies to spend huge on repairs and maintenance and treat all expenditure incurred on them to be revenue in nature even if the working life is increased in the process. We can then have 2 big debit side entries on the P/L which will save us a lot of tax. However, with the provision of deferred tax whatever amount will be excess provided will be recouped to some extent by deferred tax asset so the affect on EPS will be reduced to that extent. All in all, I beleive the more you provide the expenses as revenue expenditure the better it is for me in the long run....

Date Posted: 21/Sep/2007 at 8:05pm
I have a couple of stupid questions about ROE.

The denominator in calculating ROE is "Shareholder Funds" and it is the sum of Equity Capital and Reserves.

1. How does the Reserves of a company grow ? What is the practical significance of it ? Can there be a business where the Reserves stay constant year after year ? Would it be a good thing if reserves stay constant ? Is it practically possible to increase profits and keep the reserves constant ?

2. When a company issues preferential share or converts warrants etc, is the capital raised included in the reserves ? For eg. if a company issues 10 lakh shares(Rs 10 par) at a premium of Rs 90, the company would have raised Rs 10 crore. The Equity Capital would go up by Rs 1 cr. Is the remaining Rs 9 cr included as part of Reserves ?

Posted By: vijinat
Date Posted: 21/Sep/2007 at 9:02pm
[QUOTE=Mr. V]I have a couple of stupid questions about ROE.

The denominator in calculating ROE is "Shareholder Funds" and it is the sum of Equity Capital and Reserves.

1. How does the Reserves of a company grow ? What is the practical significance of it ? Can there be a business where the Reserves stay constant year after year ? Would it be a good thing if reserves stay constant ? Is it practically possible to increase profits and keep the reserves constant ?

2. When a company issues preferential share or converts warrants etc, is the capital raised included in the reserves ? For eg. if a company issues 10 lakh shares(Rs 10 par) at a premium of Rs 90, the company would have raised Rs 10 crore. The Equity Capital would go up by Rs 1 cr. Is the remaining Rs 9 cr included as part of Reserves ?

Your Q's are genuine and deserve to be treated with respect and not to be looked at as stupid ones. Coming to the point of Reserves, the proper head of account is 'Reserves and Surplus'. Even if retained earnings, viz., profit s are not transfereed to Reserves account, they will be treated as Surplus. In effect it will come under Reserves and Surplus account only.Blissfully, there is no way in getting out of this situation.

The answer to yr second question is : Yes, under the head 'Share Premium Account'

Date Posted: 21/Sep/2007 at 10:25pm
1) If all the profits are distributed as dividend reserves will be constant inspite of increasing profits.

2) Yes, premium is a part of the reserve.

-------------

Date Posted: 21/Sep/2007 at 10:59pm
Vijinat & Basant, Thanks for the answers.

So, is it safe to assume Reserves = Retained Earnings + Share Premium ?

Can something else be included in the Reserves ?

Posted By: vijinat
Date Posted: 21/Sep/2007 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Mr. V

Vijinat & Basant, Thanks for the answers.

So, is it safe to assume Reserves = Retained Earnings + Share Premium ?

Can something else be included in the Reserves ?

If u revalue your assets, the difference between original cost and revalued price will go to Reserves.

Date Posted: 22/Sep/2007 at 8:24am
RoE is basically meant for investors like me who are simply interested in how much you are making for my stake in the business. RoE can be jacked if the company goes on a massive expansion by using debt as a source of finance, assuming the return on fixed asset exceed the cost of debt. in accounting parlance, we call it trading on equity.However, RoCE gives you the measure of the profitability of the business. You can have a situation where RoE moves up but RoCE goes down. Thats when the spread between the Return on Assets and cost of debt is narrowing but is still positive. One of the crudest ratio which i frequently use is to divide the P/L total with the B/S total. The higher the ratio the better the utilisation assuming similar industry. One of the best ways to jack up RoE is to go for big big buybacks. Higher dividends is also another way to jack up but RoE as well as RoCE.

Posted By: deepinsight
Date Posted: 22/Sep/2007 at 10:21am
When a company has had a new fund raising event equity/debt - it also (temp) pushes down the returns.

-------------
"Investing is simple, but not easy." - Warren Buffet

Date Posted: 22/Sep/2007 at 10:23am
of the crudest ratio which i frequently use is to divide the P/L total with the B/S total. The higher the ratio the better the utilisation assuming similar industry

Please explain this a bit?

-------------

Date Posted: 22/Sep/2007 at 10:59am
Okay basant sir. Here goes my explanation:

The numerator is the P/L total. The P/L total is generally represented by sales+other Income as there are no other credit side entries in case of a conventional P/L Account. The denominator is the Balance Sheet total which is basically Shareholders' funds and Borrowings which is nothing but capital employed.

So, in effect what we are measuring is how efficiently is my company rolling over its capital employed i.e rolling over its assets. Now, if the company has locked up substantial amounts in unproductive unremunerative assets, the P/L will go down as the rolls from unproductive assets will be minimal. As a result the ratio will deteriorate. and if the company can build down its borrowing and distribute whatever is not necessary, the ratio will improve. And hence, the utility of this ratio.

I do understand this ratio is a crude ratio. however, if one has to go through 500+ Annual reports, such ratios do come in quite handy.

Date Posted: 22/Sep/2007 at 11:08am
Yes, it is an easier but crude way to seperate the dust from the gold!

-------------

Date Posted: 22/Sep/2007 at 11:12am
So, in effect what we are measuring is how efficiently is my company rolling over its capital employed i.e rolling over its assets.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you implying WCR--- Working Capital turnover Ratio? What is the approximate 'acceptable' figure for it?

-------------

Date Posted: 22/Sep/2007 at 11:14am
During college, our professor always used to say that figures should speak to you....i really wonder when people say EPS of 42.6 or a RoE of 11.3 p.c. what does it mean to them.....you cannot memorise such things and work mentally on them. The figures must be lucidiatedfor better understanding and we should have better ways to process the figures. Half of the analysts one talks to, talk in such language which appear greek/latin/arabic/hebrew. Stock Synopmis must never be more than a couple of pargraphs rest should be just working notes.....

Date Posted: 22/Sep/2007 at 11:16am
No, manish Sir, its not WCR. Its total assets turnover. And also dont confuse it with RoTA which is return on total assets. I am not talking in terms of returns, I am talking in terms of gross turnover.

Posted By: BULLSEYE
Date Posted: 19/Oct/2007 at 1:26am
basant sir i want to have deep understanding about ratios like roe roce etc & other ratios can u suggest any good books on it which explains it with exceptions i dont mind buying a accounting books if needed

Date Posted: 19/Oct/2007 at 9:37am
No books explain these comcept in detail. Buffet does talk about them but personally I am married to RoE and RoCE because to me that determines the maximum return an investor can make in terms of EPS growth.

-------------

Date Posted: 19/Oct/2007 at 10:08am
Anyone writing a book on ROE/ROCE is merely trying to make money by selling his books.

These types of concepts are best understood through a medium of classroom/casestudy/online forums(like TED) which lays an emphasis on Questions, Answers & Counter Questions.

From my limited understanding & knowledge, I believe ROE/ROCE are like the sperm count of a business.

Posted By: smartcat
Date Posted: 20/Oct/2007 at 12:57pm
Investopedia.com has a http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/roce.asp - number of articles on RoCE & RoE. You might want to take a look at that.

I believe ROE/ROCE are like the sperm count of a business.

If I ever write a book on stock markets, I'm going to steal this line!

Posted By: tarkeshwar
Date Posted: 06/Nov/2007 at 8:57pm
Is there a site where we can filter stocks by one or more of fundamental figures for RoCE/RoE/BV/PE/MCap etc? Or is this data available for download from somewhere?

Date Posted: 16/Jan/2008 at 7:47pm

Some investors may be wondering, http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/1/16/business/20016977&sec=business - between return on equity (ROE) and price earnings ratio (PER), which method is more suitable to value a company.  

According to John Neff, ROE is regarded as the best single measure of managerial performance because it shows the management’s ability to generate profit from the capital it employs.  

Warren Buffett said a good business should be able to achieve good ROE without employing high debts

Besides, any future investment plans should be funded by internally generated cash flow without having to call on shareholders to contribute. Unless the return generated from the shareholders’ money is greater than ROE, it will show lower shareholders’ returns as a result of the enlarged share capital. 

One of the biggest weaknesses in ROE method is that it does not take into account the current price of a share. A good company may show high ROE but its market price may be reaching all-time high. Hence, any investors who are solely dependent on the ROE method may be purchasing a stock at a very high price, which does not provide investors with margin on safety (MOS). 

PER is defined as the market price of a company divided by its earnings per share (EPS). The principle behind this method is the concept of payback period. This ratio tells us how many times the price is greater than the annual earnings of a share. 

Nevertheless, in practice, most analysts will say that a lower PER is better because it implies that the company is undervalued and cheap at the current valuation. So which view should we follow?  

However, not all stocks with low PER imply good value for investing. As mentioned earlier, sometimes the cheap valuation may be a true reflection of certain negative aspects of the company, for example, poor corporate governance, high gearing, uncertainty of future earnings and or it is facing litigation.  

Source: http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/1/16/business/20016977&sec=business - here

-------------

Date Posted: 16/Jan/2008 at 8:50pm
Very important points but i try and match roe with pe so that captures the price of the stock it is a mathematical impossibility for companies to grow at higher then roe without diluting equity or taking debt and once the bull market ends all those high growth companies start reporting lower growth because they cannot sell high priced shares. It therefore becomes important to understand how much a company is diluting for growth. In the history of global equity markets only a handful of companies like infy and microsoft have been able to grow at high rates without diluting equity or leveraging.

-------------

Posted By: shivkumar
Date Posted: 16/Jan/2008 at 10:36pm
So what do you guys think of a company like Tata Elxsi?

details as per the http://www.idbipaisabuilder.in/Market_Content/Cm_Data.aspx?mno=2&index=1&CM_Target=Company_Info/Comp_Snapshot.aspx%7Cid=26%7Ecocode=2322 - idbi site

As on today's closing price of Rs 255.05, the company is available at a P/E of 16.50. It has no debts.

ROCE of 77.34. RONW of 65.77. (calculated in March 07 with P/E of 18.54). The company's RoE has been calculated at 85.44.

Though a software company, Tata Elxsi is moving up the value chain even providing animation for films like Dhoom 2 and Hollywood flicks.

The melt down on tech stocks has bled this company as much as everyone else.

Date Posted: 16/Jan/2008 at 11:15pm
dividend kitna deta hai??????

Posted By: tigershark
Date Posted: 16/Jan/2008 at 7:50am
rs7 last time

-------------
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things

Date Posted: 16/Jan/2008 at 8:32am
good then......dekhein thoda sa liya jaye......

Posted By: deveshkayal
Date Posted: 18/Jan/2008 at 2:59pm

Wall Street is fixated on the earnings number of a business. In the short run, stock prices are very sensitive to a company’s earning achievements.

Earnings Are Not Alone

While profits are essential, understanding how they fit into the value creation process is critical. This is where return on equity comes into play.

An initial yet meaningful way of looking at return on equity is similar to a coupon on a bond. A bond that earns a higher coupon yield than the prevailing rate of interest will trade at a premium, or above its par issued price. A bond that is issued paying ten percent a year will be worth more in the future if future rates on interest have declined. The reason is simple economics: no investor will pay the same price for an eight percent bond if he or she can buy a ten percent bond for the same price. So the price of the existing ten percent bonds will increase until its new market price represents an approximate eight percent effective yield. So if the bond had a face value of $1000 and initially paid $100 a year, its new price would be $1250 because at an annual payment of $100, the return is 8 percent.

Similar to a bond in a fundamental sense, businesses with sustained high returns on equity are usually followed by appreciating stock prices, but not for the same specific reasons as a bond. In the real world, of course, investors in stocks don't just buy and hold.

In the long-run, the rate of return of a stock should equal its return on equity. Consider Microsoft. Microsoft continues to deliver unbelievable returns on equity of over 40 percent and has done so for decades. Yet for years, Microsoft shares have not followed suit.

The times are different. In the beginning Microsoft had lots of space in the software market to deploy its capital. So when Microsoft was generating a ROE of say 40 percent, back then it was able to continue investing that excess capital and generate a similar rate of return. What this means is that Microsoft could take a million dollars, invest it in its operations, and earn $400,000. Microsoft could then take the excess capital and still earn that same 40 percent. Microsoft was able to do this with billions of dollars and this was happening years before the Internet boom.

It is no surprise then, that Microsoft stock rocketed for many years after its IPO and why early investors, Gates, and employees got so fantastically rich off the stock. The company was compounding existing and excess capital at a phenomenal clip. Anytime you can do this for a sustained amount of time, the intrinsic value of a business mushrooms and eventually so will the stock price.

Now What?

Microsoft still generates returns on equity of over 40 percent, yet the stock price sits still. Microsoft is so huge and has so much cash, that it is now only able to generate those returns only the capital needed to run he business. It can no longer take the excess capital and redeploy it at such a high rate of return. This is why it paid that huge dividend a few years back. It made more sense payout some of that excess capital to shareholders than to reinvest back in the business.

Concentrate Your Bets

Anytime you locate a company that offers the talent and ability to redeploy its existing and excess capital at above market rates of return for any sustainable period of time, odds are the stock price will follow suit. An ability to earn excess returns on equity signals that the company offers certain competitive advantages not easily reproduced by its competitors.

In the 1980's Warren Buffett bet over 20 percent of Berkshire’s book value on the Coca Cola Company. Buffett noticed, among other things, that Coke was earning excellent returns on its equity and deploy the excess capital into other infant markets. Berkshire Hathaway itself is a huge capital deployment vehicle. It takes the float from its insurance company and any excess cash from its operating subsidiaries and invests the excess capital very successfully. Berkshire has risen an amazing 7,000-fold since Buffett took control of the company in 1965.

Profits and earnings growth are vital. But what businesses are able to d0 to with those profits sets apart great businesses from good ones.

In 1978, Warren Buffett wrote an article for Fortune Magazine titled "How Inflation Swindles the Equity Investor" In it he noted that there are only five ways to improve return on equity:

1. Higher turnover, i.e. sales
2. Cheaper Leverage
3. More leverage
4. Lower taxes
5. Wider margins on sales

Companies have the least control over tax levels, although management can certainly use creative accounting to temporarily alter the tax rate. An investor is better suited to focus on the others, as the ability to spot improved sales, prudent use of leverage, or cost cutting initiatives can lead one to excellent businesses.

All else equal, sales increase should create an increase in profits. Of course the quality of sales should be carefully examined. As sales increase, accounts receivable level should naturally follow suit. However, if receivables are demonstrating a trend of growing much faster than sales future troubles may lie ahead when it’s time to collect. Additionally, inventory management is important. The application of LIFO or FIFO will affect the profit statement differently during inflationary or deflationary periods.

When used prudently and wisely the use of leverage can increase returns on equity. Similarly, if a business can lower its cost of debt, the corresponding effect is a higher return on equity. Today we are seeing exactly how the mismanagement of leverage has affected those businesses participating in the credit markets. The painful lesson is similar to buying stocks on margin. If you are levered five to one, a ten percent return on the levered portfolio equals a return on equity of 50 percent. The same corresponding loss occurs with negative returns. Unfortunately, most businesses (1) fail to use leverage appropriately and opportunistically; and (2) employ leverage at alarming multiples to equity. The results, as we can clearly see, have been disastrous.

Wider margins are created in one of two ways: increasing prices or decreasing costs. Very few companies can raise prices at will without incurring competition or meaningful declines in volume. Again, this is why Buffett bet so big on Coke. For decades Coke has been steadily increasing the price of its famous syrup with no meaningful loss in market share as a result. As Buffett once quipped, "Who's going to risk saving a nickel over a product they put in their mouth?" Wrigley's chewing gum offers a similar example.

Profits count, but it's what you can do with those profits over time that really matters. (Source: Sham Gad Blog)

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Posted By: johnnybravo
Date Posted: 18/Jan/2008 at 3:51pm
excellent post Devesh - thanks for the post indeed.

-------------
Saab Moh Maya hai!

Posted By: omshivaya
Date Posted: 18/Jan/2008 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by deveshkayal

In the long-run, the rate of return of a stock should equal its return on equity. Consider Microsoft. Microsoft continues to deliver unbelievable returns on equity of over 40 percent and has done so for decades. Yet for years, Microsoft shares have not followed suit.

The times are different. In the beginning Microsoft had lots of space in the software market to deploy its capital. So when Microsoft was generating a ROE of say 40 percent, back then it was able to continue investing that excess capital and generate a similar rate of return. What this means is that Microsoft could take a million dollars, invest it in its operations, and earn $400,000. Microsoft could then take the excess capital and still earn that same 40 percent. Microsoft was able to do this with billions of dollars and this was happening years before the Internet boom.

It is no surprise then, that Microsoft stock rocketed for many years after its IPO and why early investors, Gates, and employees got so fantastically rich off the stock. The company was compounding existing and excess capital at a phenomenal clip. Anytime you can do this for a sustained amount of time, the intrinsic value of a business mushrooms and eventually so will the stock price.

Now What?

Microsoft still generates returns on equity of over 40 percent, yet the stock price sits still. Microsoft is so huge and has so much cash, that it is now only able to generate those returns only the capital needed to run he business. It can no longer take the excess capital and redeploy it at such a high rate of return. This is why it paid that huge dividend a few years back. It made more sense payout some of that excess capital to shareholders than to reinvest back in the business.

Best part of the post for me. Keep it up Devesh ji.

-------------
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it

Posted By: johnnybravo
Date Posted: 18/Jan/2008 at 4:02pm
Microsoft still generates returns on equity of over 40 percent, yet the stock price sits still. Microsoft is so huge and has so much cash, that it is now only able to generate those returns only the capital needed to run he business. It can no longer take the excess capital and redeploy it at such a high rate of return.

-----
Basantji, so how do we rule out hitting the Microsofts of today?
1) Use ROE scale only for newer business.
2) ROE should show consistent increase.
3) Stagnation of ROE indicates no further increasing returns of capital generated.
4) Scope for business/market for the company should be huge.

Anything wrong/more here?

-------------
Saab Moh Maya hai!

Date Posted: 18/Jan/2008 at 5:40pm
1) Not in a watertight classificatiom but as business matures size becomes enemy, new competitors enter and the markets saturate. HUL has a RoCE of close to 40pc but no growth so RoCE is an indicator rather then a destination.

2) Nothing like that companies that increase RoE see immediate rerating.

But as we discussed before the reason for the increase decrease in RoE is important in the earlier pages read the decomposition as net margin ratio x asset turnover x leverage ratio increasing the RoE by increasing leverage isn't that good as by increasing it on the first two factors.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/Mar/2008 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Vivek Sukhani

However, RoCE gives you the measure of the profitability of the business. You can have a situation where RoE moves up but RoCE goes down. Thats when the spread between the Return on Assets and cost of debt is narrowing but is still positive.

Here's a very stupid question.
In the Debt/Equity ratio, Does the denominator "Equity" equate to the Equity capital or the "Total Shareholder funds(Net worth)" ?

Date Posted: 14/Mar/2008 at 2:13pm
Ok. Its Shareholder funds.

Stupid question indeed.

Date Posted: 12/Apr/2008 at 11:08am
Qus - which site do you guys for collecting RoE/RoCE ratios? I find icicidirect figures to be unreliable.

Actually I am looking for a stock filter where you can filter by multiple fundamental figures. Does anyone know any such site?

Date Posted: 13/Apr/2008 at 12:21pm
For company information I find this one better than others: http://marketinfo.livemint.com/companysearch.asp - Market Information on Mint

Few of my friends access data on http://www.sharekhan.com/MarketCorner/CompanyInfo.aspx - Sharekha n. I haven't yet used the same though.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/May/2008 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by CHINKI

Basantji, small confusion. ROE & ROCE are more than 40%. But EBITDA margins are less than 10%. How is this??

These are two different things Actually let's go back to this thread!

RoA = Net profit margin *Asset turnover. Or

Np/Sales * Sales/Assets = NP/Assets

A company with lower margins can have higher sales for a set of assets or a company with higher margin can have lower sales for a set of assets. Both these cases would neutralise themselves because in one case you are selling more so the little margin adds up and in the other you sell less so the higher margins does not enjoy volume growth.

RoE = RoA* Leverage  or

NP/Assets * Assets/Shareholder Funds.

I hope the issue is cleared. If not please put me to some more work.Ouch

-------------

Posted By: CHINKI
Date Posted: 05/May/2008 at 1:53pm
Fine. I got the point.

Now for Assets, do we have to take Net Assets or Total Assets??

If a company has RoE > ROCE, it shows Assets/Shareholder funds is more than 1. Then it should be good??

-------------
TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST, BUT TOUGH PEOPLE DO

Date Posted: 05/May/2008 at 1:58pm

For the moment you assume that we take total assets that is Fixed Assets + Current Assets - Current Liabilities OR Shareholder funds + Debt which ever way you look at it.

Asset/Shareholder funds>1 means you have debt or loan. So that part of the assets do not belong to shareholders.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/May/2008 at 2:40pm
I remember you had mentioned in some other thread that ROE can be increased by taking debt.

So coming to my question, even if there is no debt, still Assets/Shareholder Funds can be more than 1??

-------------

Date Posted: 05/May/2008 at 2:45pm
Without debt it cannot be more then 1. Assets can be funded in two ways either 1) Shareholder or 2) Debt.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/May/2008 at 3:18pm
Just taking example of Voltas for the year 2007, at Indiaearnings.com, they have mentioned, Net Current Assets as Rs195.62 cr, Total Assets is Rs.462.89Cr.and Total Current Assets is Rs.1009.92 Cr.

Which one to be considered for Assets??

-------------

Date Posted: 05/May/2008 at 3:36pm
One should check these figures from company website. The figure to look out for would be total assets minus current liab or Shareholder funds plus long term debt.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/May/2008 at 4:13pm
I am just learning to find the values not the exact figures. Hence taking figures from Indiaearnings.com.

Since most of the companies are on debt, invariably, ROE will be more than ROCE.

In case if a company has not gone for debt, that means, ROE = ROCE. Would that be possible??

-------------

Date Posted: 05/May/2008 at 5:03pm
You seem to be ready for the Master's degree in RoE and RoCE. But sometimes when the RoCE is less then the cost of capital (interest on debt) the RoE will be dragged down.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/May/2008 at 5:23pm

You seem to be ready for the Master's degree in RoE and RoCE. But sometimes when the RoCE is less then the cost of capital (interest on debt) the RoE will be dragged down.

Basantji,
From your http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1742&PN=1 - first post on Voltas:

RoCE

70%

RoE

48%

ROCE is way more than RoE. Is only high interest rate the reason there? Or is the formula being used uses PBIT for RoCE and NP for RoE?

Date Posted: 05/May/2008 at 5:33pm
The excess cash/Investments is being is lying idle and generating bank rate of interest so it adds in the RoE at 10% P.A whereas in the RoCE only operating income is included which in any case is more theen what we get in a bank..

-------------

Date Posted: 05/May/2008 at 8:57am
Originally posted by CHINKI

I am just learning to find the values not the exact figures. Hence taking figures from Indiaearnings.com.

Since most of the companies are on debt, invariably, ROE will be more than ROCE.

In case if a company has not gone for debt, that means, ROE = ROCE. Would that be possible??

RoE in absence of debt will not equal RoCE. Thats because,

RoE=PAT/Shareholders fund

RoCE=PBIT/Total funds.

Assuming no debt is corollary to assuming Toatl funds being equal to shareholders funds, therefore,

RoCE in this case will be PBT/Shareholders funds
whereas RoE will be PAT/Shareholders funds.

So, they will not equal, QED.

However, in case the company is not paying any tax, the 2 may be equal( exception, and hence cannot be a rule).

Date Posted: 05/May/2008 at 9:32am
Thanks Vivek for that info.

I was asking that question based on the other equation given by Basant for ROE & ROCE i.e. ROE = ROCE * Leverage Funds.

Since Leverage Funds = Assets/Shareholders Funds

Most of us (Engineers) purely go by the equation not trying to realise whether it is possible in reality.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/May/2008 at 10:03am
Actually that was a typo I edited the post yesterday roa x leverage is roe.Roce is return on cap employed which is share holder funds plus long term debt.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window