Print Page | Close Window

All multibaggers started with small market cap

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Market Strategies
Forum Name: Identifying Multibaggers
Forum Discription: Discuss specific attributes that investors could look at while choosing multibaggers. Also point out certain factors that investors tend to overlook while finding multibaggers.
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=113
Printed Date: 25/Apr/2024 at 5:27pm

Topic: All multibaggers started with small market cap
Posted By: basant
Subject: All multibaggers started with small market cap
Date Posted: 03/Aug/2006 at 11:52am

All multibaggers started with small market caps

One of the most loved after words in the stock market is the “multibagger”. Typically multibaggers are stocks that go up a number of times. I plan to post a series of write-ups on the similarities in specific financial attributes for the multibaggers of the past ten years.I have named the series as " How to identify the next Infosys?". This is so because Infosys was a shareholder's delight not only in terms of price appreciation but with respect to other financial attributes as we would notice once other write ups are posted. I have excluded companies like Bharti Airtel, Unitech and Pantaloon Retail because they have not completed 10 years of listing.

Markets capitalization also known as Market cap means the amount of money required to buy all (100%) shares of a company it is computed as the number of shares multiplied by the market price of each share. For instance if BEML Rs 900 and there are 3.67 crore shares issued the market cap would be 3.67 crores X 900 = Rs 3303 crores

The market cap of a company is inversely proportional to whether that company could be a multibagger or not. In other words companies with small market caps are more prone to going up a number of times compared to companies with large market caps.

In the analysis that I did for the multibaggers for the Indian stocks markets an interesting phenomenon was identified. All multibagger companies started from a base of very small market capitalization

All multibaggers started with small market caps

Company

Price as on Dec 31 1995

Market Cap * as on that day (Rs crores)

Price as on Jan 02, 2006

Market Capitalization today (Rs crores)

CAGR

Infosys Technologies

Satyam Computers

Wipro

Sun Pharma

Hero Honda

HDFC Bank

Cipla

Zee Telefilm

HDFC

*Approximate

* Approximate

In the table above I have presented a case for buying companies at low market caps. About 10 years back these companies were available at market caps that were less then Rs 1000 crores. The PE for quite a few of them were over 30 and the stock price kept going up because the earnings went up in all cases and the PE kept on expanding in some select cases.

In the initial years of growth these companies were very different from a greater fool theory. The greater fool theory states that a fool buys an overvalued stock and sells it to a bigger fool who looks for a greater fool to dump the same. The idea is not to become the last fool in the chain. How ever unfortunate it may sound almost all multibagger companies enter into the greater fool mode. The better ones recover while the bad ones falter.

The figure to look for in the above table is column (c) which reflects the market cap at which these companies were available about 10 years back. Column (e) tells us the current market cap. In some cases stocks have gone up by over 100 times over the said period!.

So looking at the table one can easily observe that except WIPRO and HDFC all the other companies were in a range of less then Rs 1000 crores market cap. At that time the total market cap of the Indian stock market was less then Rs 400,000 crores. Today the market cap of all the stocks has gone up by about 7 times. Therefore the yardstick to look for companies below Rs 1000 crores market cap can be extended to Rs 6,000 crores.

Any ides anyone on companies with small market caps and which are ready to become multibaggers!

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Replies:
Posted By: Money Master
Date Posted: 05/Aug/2006 at 1:45am

The most interesting observation I could make from here was 1) No Cyclical company 2) No MNC 3) Majority of these companies were first generation entrepreneurs. Almost all of these were first generation entrepreneurs!

Posted By: reetesh
Date Posted: 02/Sep/2006 at 3:01am
I think Bilcare, what do you think?

-------------
When going gets tough, that’s when tough (people) gets going.

Posted By: investor
Date Posted: 07/Sep/2006 at 4:17pm
I think GM BREWERIES has a lot of potential to be a multibagger.

Posted By: Vivek Sukhani
Date Posted: 19/Sep/2006 at 11:38pm
Agree with you. Am trying to build one myself.Basant, will be glad if you can tell me what do you mean by Enterprise value

Date Posted: 19/Sep/2006 at 11:55pm
Enterprise value = Market cap + Debt. Some companies take a lot of debt so on a market cap basis they appear cheap. In that case we look at enterprise value. On the other hand some companies have cash on their books in that case we deduct the cash from the market cap to arrive at enterprise value..

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: reetesh
Date Posted: 19/Sep/2006 at 12:07pm

ie: to get EV= Market cap. PLUS Debt. MINUS Cash in balance sheet. Right?

-------------
When going gets tough, that’s when tough (people) gets going.

Posted By: Equity Buff
Date Posted: 04/Nov/2006 at 9:48am

Basantjee,

Have a look at Goldiam. In the jewellery space I think it is one of the top picks along with Titan and Gitanjali. Titan, Gitanjali and Goldiam in this order is my preference. A Pantaloon group company also has recently taken a stake in Goldiam.

On a slightly different subject, which LARGE CAPS you think could still be multibaggers even from this level over the next 5 years. Pantaloon, F.T. ?(not exactly sure of F.T. current market cap right of the bat).

Rgds.

Date Posted: 04/Nov/2006 at 10:05am
Let us say that a large cap has a market cap of US$ 750 million. It is very difficult to get a multibagger in a large cap unless you are stiing at the start of any cyclical rally. For e g. In 2003 we could have made a multibagger out of cement or any metal but not out of Infy. So if we say a company that will grow 10 times in 10 years is it a multibagger in the true sense of the word we want to see it. 10 years is a long period of time and this means a CAGR of 26% only.There are many companies  http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=429 - in the Cricket XI section that can do this kind of growth or even better that.
http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=135 -

Date Posted: 04/Nov/2006 at 10:19am

Basantjee,

I completely agree with you and that is exactly the reason I asked you this question. I also firmly believe that you can find multibaggers in small caps and Mid caps only and it is very difficult to find multibaggers in large caps. So pls clarify, are you saying that chanecs are remote that since Pantaloon and F.T. are already large caps they will not be multibaggers going forward from current level (10 to 15 times in the next ten years) ? Pls clarify.

Thanks & Rgds.

Date Posted: 04/Nov/2006 at 11:25am
So pls clarify, are you saying that chanecs are remote that since Pantaloon and F.T. are already large caps they will not be multibaggers going forward from current level (10 to 15 times in the next ten years) ?:

These are unusual situations where the sheer size of the market is about 30 -40 times the current level of penetration. In fact we could see a 10 bbagger in 5 years in both these companies if they are able to execute what they said.

Here we should recall that Bharti Airtel moved from amarket cap of Rs 7000 crores to Rs 100,000 crores in 3-4 years  because the market itself was growing so fast. So there could be relaxations to this theory but this relaxation is more of an exception then the norm.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Nov/2006 at 6:49pm
[QUOTE=basant]
 These are unusual situations where the sheer size of the market is about 30 -40 times the current level of penetration. In fact we could see a 10 bbagger in 5 years in both these companies if they are able to execute what they said.

Basantjee,

This is exactly what even I feel and hence I asked the question. Thanks for clarifying.

Rgds.

Date Posted: 05/Nov/2006 at 7:26pm
I normally try and look at the market cap in conjunction with the size of opportunity. Some time back there was a discussion on an icecream company but the total size of ice cream as a business is restricted so even a Rs 200 crores market cap does not loook compelling.

Looking at the mcap in absolute numbers has its own inherrent flaws.

-------------

Posted By: India_Bull
Date Posted: 05/Nov/2006 at 9:47pm
Hi Basantji,

I have invested some time back in Mount Everest and it has become a halfbagger in a short span of time, looking at the sheer opportunity and some big daddy will buy this company it can still go up. Have you been able to analyse this company?

Secondly Indraprasath Medical also looks promising to me, HDFC has a stake in it.Can you or board memebers throw some light to it?

-------------
India_Bull forever Bull !
www.kapilcomedynights.com

Date Posted: 05/Nov/2006 at 10:28pm
Indraprasth Medical: Guess this belongs to the APollo group. It is an OK stock but no great shakes market does not like two companies from the promoter in the same  business.

Mt.Everest: Yes heard that the co. is being sold off at about Rs 150 per share. For the apst two years it has been takeover stock. generally I do not invest in such companies because timing the takeover is very very difficult. SOme companies like Federal Bank and South Indoian Bank are being held by investors for overa decade now only to be taken over but that never seemed toi happen.I think that if the underlying business is tring it would be taken over faster then we think!!!

-------------

Posted By: jack
Date Posted: 06/Dec/2006 at 2:25pm

Dear All.

Can any body please throw some light regarding market cap. How to shortlist  a stock based on market cap, How to select a stock whether it is cheap or expensive based on market cap.

Posted By: surajmnair
Date Posted: 06/Dec/2006 at 5:00pm
Dear Jack,
                    Welcome to equity desk.You could check out the link called investment school on the top of the home page.There you have excellent articles by Basantji explaining market cap and companies.Infact i would also recommend you to visit the board of TV18,Pantaloon,Infosys in the equity desk website,where you can gather a lot of informations.There each boarder comes up with good set of questions and gets it answered.That could be really the starting point.-Courtesey Basantji and his team of all boarders.
Investing is a journey and not destination,So Jack start your journey...
Thanks Jack

Date Posted: 06/Dec/2006 at 9:17pm
I have an interesting observation abt Market cap...

Havell Indias sales is higher than its market cap and it should catch up subsequently...keep an eye on it..

Are there any examples like this

-------------

Posted By: omshivaya
Date Posted: 06/Dec/2006 at 11:29pm
Just sales should not be the criteria, the margins are as important. VIP industries(after merger with Blowplast), sales would be around 500 crores and market cap around 250-300 crores.

-------------
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it

Date Posted: 09/Dec/2006 at 8:25am
Om Shivaya makes an interesting point. Technology companies trade at 10 times market cap to sales whereas something like a pantaloon trades at 1.5 times sales that is because the former have higher profit margins compared to the latter.ALso the http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=259 - market cap should always be looked at according to the size of the opportunity.

-------------

Posted By: PrashantS
Date Posted: 10/Dec/2006 at 2:19pm
But really unless the technology is proven really can bet on it....these tech companies are difficult to understand unless they have a proven history

Basantji what do you think about Godesic..........

Company looks very interesting to me...
It is getting into financial products and radio over mobile phones and net advertising
website is : www.geodesiconline.com
the stock has run up quite a bit ..due to some aqusitions it has gained ground recently --Mid cap IT company..but interesting business,

Date Posted: 10/Dec/2006 at 6:15pm
I think we have a discussion on this company and it looks good to me although I am weak at understanding  IT companies generally.

-------------

Date Posted: 24/Dec/2006 at 2:57am

Really good talk by Raamdeo jee of MOST. A must-read.

Link: http://www.business-standard.com/smartinvestor/storypage.php?tab=r&autono=269070&subLeft=2&leftnm=0 - http://www.business-standard.com/smartinvestor/storypage.php?tab=r&autono=269070&subLeft=2&leftnm=0

Basant sir, I wanted to have greater clarity on his "Five-year payback outlook". Considering this and his ROE & ROCE funda, how do our TV18, EDUCOMP, YES BANK stocks come in light, at their current price and keeping in mind next 5 years for each of them.

Just asking out of curiosity.

-------------
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it

Date Posted: 24/Dec/2006 at 6:49am
congrats...omshiva ji ...Nucleaus is rocking and so is educomp

Date Posted: 24/Dec/2006 at 8:02am
5 years in hindsight is very different from 5 years forward!It is difficult to take things that far especially with emerging companies. Just look at 2 years down and see whether the company makes sense other things will fall into place.

-------------

Posted By: BubbleVision
Date Posted: 24/Dec/2006 at 11:23am
5 years in hindsight is very different from 5 years forward!
-------

Really BasantJi....that is why i am really confused why MOST gives an award to the wealth creators of the past...rather than try to identify stocks which could be wealth creators.  

-------------
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!

Date Posted: 24/Dec/2006 at 11:41am
Originally posted by BubbleVision

5 years in hindsight is very different from 5 years forward!
-------

Really BasantJi....that is why i am really confused why MOST gives an award to the wealth creators of the past...rather than try to identify stocks which could be wealth creators.  

Absolutely. I have always thought that this is a publicity stunt an event to get some media and investor attention. I mean how am I affectred except academically whether Wipro has created  wealth 10 times over or 1000 times over. WIth due regard to Ramdeo (baba) these events are more of data collection rather then an exhibition of analystical skills.

-------------

Date Posted: 24/Dec/2006 at 11:54am

That is Publicity "Ramdeo and Moti baba - istyle"....

-------------
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!

Date Posted: 25/Dec/2006 at 12:15pm
Thank you very much Basant ji for the revelations and you too Bubble ji. And Prashant ji, still long way for me to go. Nucleus and Educomp can fall as easily as they went up...my focus is still on the next 2-3 years on these...will know whether they ROCK then or not.

-------------

Date Posted: 28/Dec/2006 at 11:25pm
Basantji and boardmembers,

Champagne Indage is a fastest growing wine company and looks a good long term bet (though I am not sure about the quality of Indian wine as I  have not tested Indian wine  so far..) with a good growth potential and very few entry barriers ..Have this been discussed before or has anyone tried to analysis?
Basantji what are your views ? Can we have this in our multibag list?

-------------

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 10/Jan/2007 at 7:25pm

Here is some interesting reading (courtesy: MoneyLife). Given below are excerpts, pleae click on the link for full text.

http://in.rediff.com/money/2007/jan/10perfin.htm - Stocks: Stunning winners of last 10 years!

Company

TSR Rank

TSR (%)

Mkt Cap in1996

Unitech

34196%

Matrix Laboratories

29910%

Phoenix Mills

28935%

Donear Industries

28533%

Vimta Labs

27799%

Pantaloon Retail

20412%

Infosys Technologies

19583%

Mercator Lines

19545%

Wipro

17319%

Patel Engineering

17075%

Satyam Computers

16942%

Financial Technologies

16342%

Havells India

15928%

Lakshmi Energy & Foods

12586%

Arrow Webtex

12281%

Panoramic Universal

11587%

Prime Prop. Devp. Corpn.

11518%

Aban Offshore

10592%

Amtek Auto

10590%

Jetking Infotrain

9557%

If you are in the middle of a crazy a bull run, you are likely to get the most unlikely names as wealth creators

The sheer force of speculation has pushed low-profile companies high up in the wealth-creators' list.

Often, companies and sectors, which do very well for a few years, stagnate in the following years.

Indeed, in every bull market, one or two sectors do extremely well where even garbage floats to the top.

Since value is a function of performance and perception, a slight change in either is enough to cause prices to tumble.

Over 10 years, the Sensex had gained 347%.

Raising shareholder value is like mountaineering. To remain even a modest value creator you have to keep climbing.

As you go higher, it gets tougher to climb the same distance.

To use another common metaphor, value creation is like being on a treadmill. You have to keep running (growing) to stay where you are (to maintain value).

Most people find it hard to understand that that for mature and large companies, even if 'performance is good', shareholder value may not keep rising

Also, in a growing economy like India's, new sectors emerge, attracting smart capital and investment interest. Since the fastest growth is from the smallest base and there is always a fancy for new companies, investors like to bet on companies that are at the base of the mountain.

How does one measure wealth creation or shareholder value? This is a basic question and the answer is simple -- it is whatever a shareholder gets out of being invested in a company over a certain period. That means the difference in market price between two periods (adjusted for splits and bonuses) plus dividends. This is called total shareholder returns (TSR).

Elephants Can't Dance

Market cap has nothing to do with value creation

Company

Mkt Cap in1996

TSR (%)

TSR Rank

ONGC

614%

IOC

245%

HLL

252%

MTNL

-27%

SBI

259%

Reliance

821%

I T C

940%

Tata Motors

148%

VSNL

166%

SAIL

302%

-------------
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards

Date Posted: 10/Jan/2007 at 7:36pm
My Observations:

The best in the lot ONGC had a CAGR of only 20% while wealth increased 6.5 times. So the concept that elephants cannot dance should be taken with that perspective that the maximum wealth that can be created is 20% CAGR while in case of a small cap Unitech (freak buy if only someone could do it) was only 80% CAGR which made a 340 bagger on the stock. Though I have not checked it most of these gains would have been in the last 3 years.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Jan/2007 at 7:37pm
Very good post along with a lesson for life...You have to keep running (growing) to stay where you are (to maintain value).

-------------

Posted By: xbox
Date Posted: 10/Jan/2007 at 5:33am
This wealth-table shows very interesting point to all of us. It says one can buy luck by patience in stock-markets. I mean how many ppl who picked Unitech or martrix lab in 1996 are still holding it (except promoters). With great confidence I can say nearly zero. And did they picked these companies dues to some fundamental stories, EPS, ROE etc etc. Certainly not. In 1996, one can hardly envisage real-estate boom like now or pharma outsourcing like today. Anybody who picked these shares of INFY or smiler items in those times he or she picked based on promoter's promise/pedigree or may be just a punter's call. But real fun is holding it for 10 years.
All I am saying identify 2-3 strong promoter's stock and (if possible in correct sector although it is optional) and sleep on that. Like Basant jee did with Pantaloon. Even if one of those clicked, one will live his/her dream but bottom-line lies in patience. One can only increase it's luck by subscribing to patience.
So I guess, Astha and Sanskar channels should be clubbed with CNBC's bookie to pacify always_hungry, confused, ever_serarching, never_satisfied, no_multibagger_feeling, always_envy soul.
Om shanti-h shanti-h shanti-H.. 

-------------
Don't bet on pig after all bull & bear in circle.

Date Posted: 10/Jan/2007 at 8:17am
Vipulji you make an excellent point but think of some one who bought Unitech in 1996 and then the stock did not move while there were the DSQ's, Infosys and satyam all flying around the nose!!!

I think that buying and holding Unitech from 1996 could only be accidental. It could not have been planned but as they say it might have just happened. But it was all right and quite normal to buy it around 2003 when it was at Rs 50 odd and even from there it has been up multi fold.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Jan/2007 at 8:37am
Correct Basant jee, Stock picks are accidental otherwise most knowledgeable ppl will own most of these multi-baggers. One met with such accidents and then later justify it's pick in terms of roce, pe et. etc.
Most money is made when stock is unknown known as accidents. Owning known is a plan. This table indicates accidents have upper hand over plan.

-------------

Posted By: vip1
Date Posted: 10/Jan/2007 at 9:21am
The Rip-Wan-Winkle concept(the person who slept for 10 years applies here) but the challenge is to SLEEP WITH EYES OPEN.

Date Posted: 10/Jan/2007 at 9:40am
I would say that maximum wealth creation for a shareholder happens when Talent and Hardwork (of the shareholder or fund manager) meets an Opportutnity (of the stock).

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Jan/2007 at 10:14am
Originally posted by vip1

The Rip-Wan-Winkle concept(the person who slept for 10 years applies here) but the challenge is to SLEEP WITH EYES OPEN.

Well said. "Sleep with eyes open"! SOmething like Omshivaya's well analogy. DIscussing this does not guarantee its implementation but it surely creates an option.

-------------

Posted By: prosperity
Date Posted: 18/Jan/2007 at 4:46pm
Even though i understand/agree with the basic message that this particular topic is conveying.... 

YET,    RELIANCE INDUSTRIES (RIL) IS AN EXCEPTION !

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Mar/2007 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by psimajin

Originally posted by kulman

the scope of this becoming a 5 bagger is low. That is because if it  become a  5 bagger it would have a mcap of US $ 1.5 billion.

I generally like looking at companies with a 10 times increase in mcap and then asking myself the question. Does it make sense?

-----------------------------------------
This is certainly a great way of looking at stocks.

I have a small query: Bharti Airtel's current mkt cap is Rs. 1,46,000 Crores. Would it trade at Rs. 4,38,000 Crores Mkt Cap in next 2-3 years?

I didnt invest in Bharti coz it had 70,000 Cr Mkt cap, Got out of R.Com at m/cap of 60,000 Cr. Both the stock have doubled since.

Yes, I have thought about that. That is why I keep saying that at Rs 1500-Rs 2000 we would reach terminal value for Bharti Airtel. ANything more then that does not seem possible as of now.

At Rs 438,000 it would be around Rs 2300+ and that looks streched.

-------------

Posted By: tigershark
Date Posted: 13/Mar/2007 at 8:15pm
what could be the mkt cap of viceroy hotels lets say 3-4 yrs from now and close to rj point of entry does it make sense to add more since the initial recomendation was around 91

-------------
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things

Date Posted: 25/Mar/2007 at 4:20pm
TEDies, comments/views on this please.....

http://www.equitymaster.com/detail.asp?date=3/23/2007&story=1 - India Inc.: Small wonders! ( http://www.equitymaster.com/detail.asp?date=3/23/2007&story=1 - equitymaster.com )

It is common knowledge that India Inc. has had its dream run since the early years of this decade and this has been well manifested in the valuations accorded to them in the equity markets. While the corporate growth has been holistic with contribution from companies across sectors, select majors in each of the sectors have made their presence felt.

A comparison of the compounded annual growth clocked by a sample of few sectors selected by us to the compounded annual growth in the market share of the top few companies in those sectors, gives us an interesting perspective on this. While it is a given that the low base effect has magnified the growth numbers for the smaller companies, it is also worthwhile noting that a few of the companies have displaced some of their larger counterparts in the respective product segments by clocking relatively superior level and quality of growth.

The trailblazers
%Marketshare FY01 FY03 FY06 CAGR
Cement (Rsm) 220,062 234,042 330,139 8.5%
Grasim+Ultratech* 9.8 11.6 21.1 16.6%
ACC 11.9 10.3 11.3 -1.0%
GujaratAmbuja 5.9 6.7 9.2 9.3%
Detergents (Rsm) 51,788 44,785 53,547 0.7%
HLL 35.9 43.1 40.4 2.4%
Nirma 21.4 21.6 20.3 -1.0%
P&GHealth&Hygeine 2.3 2.7 6.2 21.9%
Fabrics (Rsm) 1,483,679 1,559,295 1,689,418 2.6%
ArvindMills 0.7 0.8 0.8 2.7%
AlokIndustries 0.3 0.5 0.5 10.8%
Raymond 0.1 0.1 0.2 14.9%
Hotels (Rsm) 40,775 39,543 65,541 10.0%
IndianHotels 16.9 14.4 16.5 -0.5%
EIH 11.7 9.7 11.5 -0.3%
ITC 3.3 4.9 11.9 29.2%
Passengercars (Rsm) 169,973 189,800 331,989 14.3%
Maruti 48.2 44.5 41.6 -2.9%
HyundaiMotorIndia 17.0 20.0 23.7 6.9%
TataMotors 7.3 11.4 13.6 13.3%
Pharmaceuticals (Rsm) 320,618 368,652 461,152 7.5%
Ranbaxy 5.9 8.6 8.7 8.1%
Cipla 3.3 4.2 6.5 14.5%
Dr.Reddy's 3.0 4.6 4.7 9.4%
Steel (Rsm) 492,750 618,453 1,172,113 18.9%
SAIL 28.1 27.6 24.3 -2.9%
TataSteel 9.2 11.4 10.4 2.5%
JSWSteel 2.7 3.8 5.2 14.0%
Software (Rsm) 216,849 278,363 504,850 18.4%
TCS N.A. N.A. 21.2  
Infosys 8.8 13.0 17.9 15.2%
Wipro 8.2 11.0 16.3 14.7%
Source:CMIE Industry market size and shares - March 2007
* The market share of Grasim for FY06 includes that of Ultratech (9.4%)

In case of manufacturing companies like Grasim, capacity addition (standalone as well as acquisition of Ultra Tech) and higher utilisation levels apart from better realisations and improved efficiency has helped the company report stronger numbers. While Ultra Tech was one of the major propellers of the company's growth, savings in operating costs resulting from ongoing modernisation efforts, up-gradation of plants and energy optimisation have aided the gain in market share.

Similar capex led volume game was the case with JSW Steel in the steel sector. In the detergent market, P&G Health & Hygiene's 'Tide' garnered better realisations as compared to peer HLL's 'Surf Excel' and 'Rin', thus scoring higher over the latter. The strong performance of the company was also on the back of focused marketing initiatives and deeper distribution.

Both Raymond and Tata Motors derived the benefits of 'exclusivity' in their respective sectors by regularly launching new products and catering to a niche segment. Cipla, on the other hand, focused on stability of revenues through its contract manufacturing business, against the volatile generic business (subject to pricing pressure) of its peers Ranbaxy and Dr. Reddy's.

Players in the service sectors, like Infosys (software) and ITC (hotels), focused on expanding their capacities in terms of employees and rooms. Better pricing power in terms of billing rates and average room rentals (ARR) respectively, also supported their case.

The point that we wish to drive home is that while companies with bigger balance sheets, higher turnover and wider reach may offer a comfortable hedge in times of short term volatility, the smaller and equally promising entities may seize a larger chunk of the growth pie in the longer term.

Thus instead of concentrating only on the blue chips, investors must also evaluate the prospects of some of the smaller entities in the sector that have an equally compelling business model, with the potential to generate higher growth and returns as compared to their larger counterparts. The catch also lies in the fact that you may find the most opportune moment to buy the Infosys' and HLLs in the making at attractive valuations!

-------------

Date Posted: 25/Mar/2007 at 4:43pm
What I find interesting in this is that the sectors discussed above are not the ones we keep concentrating here. No media, no retail, no telecom, no private banking, no embedded insurance plays.

Are they still not in the popular category? If that is so then this is a very good signal.

-------------

Date Posted: 25/Mar/2007 at 4:48pm

Good piece.... as they say Small is Beautiful!!!!!

However, if you get a big thing at the price of a small thing.... thats the bst bargain..... and if you get a small thing at the price of a big thing..... its a total avoid.

Posted By: Ajith
Date Posted: 25/Mar/2007 at 11:21pm
I definitely feel that midcaps will selectively outperform to an even greater degree over the medium-term.Bharti is overpriced considering the projected 2010 PE,I believe.Reliance is the one large cap that has the potential to outperform and be a safe very modest multibagger over the next 6 years.

-------------
Ajith

Date Posted: 25/Mar/2007 at 5:29am
I strongly believe that we will get better price point to purchase our favourite shares in next 2-3 months.

-------------

Date Posted: 25/Mar/2007 at 8:59am
Isn't this trying to TIME THE MARKET ?

I also had the same feeling, but then converted my cash to stocks ... who knows we might just keep waiting for years/infinity/bear_mrkts, in order to achieve lower/better price points for our favourite shares.

The biggest dilemma i have is NOT which stocks to buy, is NOT whether my portfolio is justified for higher returns, BUT IS ALWAYS, that when i add to my portfolio .. i do NOT know if i COULD have added it more by buying at lower levels later ....

and i have come to terms and accepted this dilemma ... since i have almost given up timing the market for my buying price points ...

Cheers,
Prosperity !

-------------

Date Posted: 25/Mar/2007 at 9:47am
----------------
Correct. We all know that timing the market is impossible. So I follow these ...
Prepare with some cash (not from stocks) and when all mugerilals say sell, sell, start deploying 1/10 at a time. I believe in not selling stocks in fall. Having said that, we all are learning.

-------------

Date Posted: 26/Mar/2007 at 4:25pm
---------

Modifying Shakesphere's words..."To buy or not to buy, that is the question"

-------------

Date Posted: 26/Mar/2007 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by vipul

and when all mugerilals say buy, buy, start deploying 1/10 at a time.

If you decide to buy 1/X at a time, where X = 10,

Q1) How do you decide value of X ? How do you arrive at X = 10 ?

Q2) Don't you fear that though next 2-3 times - your price might be cheaper than today and then you would buy 4 lots of 1/10 at lower prices ...  but then after 4th lot buying, rebound might be sharper and may take prices much much above than even today and hence you end up spending remaining 6 lots of 1/10 at prices higher than today... 

So your average price might work to be more than today's prices... even though prices went below and then came up !!

And more than that ... it brings anxiety and frustration 

For me, one thing works better - i decide what price would make me feel happy and does not look unrealistic ... i keep 100% money (i.e. X = 1 for me) at that limit price ... my limit can come in 1 day or 20 days or never ... but i don't feel i am playing hide and seek with Mr. Market !!

As buffet says, first decide the stock and then decide a reasonable price that you should be buying it at .. and leave all the other details like whether/when the trade gets executed to Mr. MARKET !!

-------------

Date Posted: 26/Mar/2007 at 10:57pm
Prosperity at his best: Mixing emotion with mathematics.Generally it is better to buy in one or two or at most 3 lots. I never look for such price points because I am always more then 100% (my capital + bank finance)investedCool

-------------

Date Posted: 26/Mar/2007 at 5:49am
and when all mugerilals say buy, buy, start deploying 1/10 at a time.
------------
Sorry!!, It was typo. Offcourse it was .."and when all mugerilals say sell, sell, start deploying 1/10 at a time".
In my case 1/X is 5% of existing book. It is kind of SIP, which I am trying to do myself. 100% Timing of market is impossible. I am aiming for 30-40% of timing. When markets were down 400 points, I put one part. This way not only I am hedging my old book (against fall) but deploying fresh commitment at reasonable levels. Personally I think 3200 nifty is quite reachable but in case it does not, such SIPs will help me.
There is no mathematics here also there is no full proof logic. All strategies are correct and wrong in markets. When I am sure about some stock I buy like no tomorrow. I picked yes bank in couple of weeks only, it is huge 46% of my existing book. This time I am putting money in MFs, so trying to take advantage of steep fall of a day (if any).

-------------

Date Posted: 28/Apr/2007 at 6:49pm
This is a good presentation on howsmall caps bring  in multibaggers. It is actually a  sales pitch by a MF which came out with an NFO but makes for some very interesting documented reading:

http://www.dspmlmutualfund.com/downloads/SMALLMIDCAPPPT_260906.pdf - http://www.dspmlmutualfund.com/downloads/SMALLMIDCAPPPT_260906.pdf

Now for the sad part this is the portfolio of the fund: Isn't there is an indication of very low knowledge to application ratio? That is a worry when these guys are on sales pitch they say different things and when they actually go in to invest they behave like   http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=240 - Zebras

http://www.moneycontrol.com/mf/mf_info/tophold_full.php?im_id=MDS056&im_ffid=DS&im_desc=DSP-MLSmall%20and%20Mid%20Cap%20Fund%20%28G%29&ff_desc=DSP%20Merrill%20Lynch%20Fund%20Managers%20Ltd - http://www.moneycontrol.com/mf/mf_info/tophold_full.php?im_id=MDS056&im_ffid=DS&im_desc=DSP-MLSmall%20and%20Mid%20Cap%20Fund%20(G)&ff_desc=DSP%20Merrill%20Lynch%20Fund%20Managers%20Ltd .

-------------

Posted By: Rinku
Date Posted: 28/Apr/2007 at 12:40pm
I put salary money in stocks?Is it possible to make money just from stocks in the begineening of your work life like buffet?And if you are long term investor where you will get money to invest in new ideas?

Posted By: us121
Date Posted: 28/Apr/2007 at 1:03am

Rinkuji,

Congrates you have crossed 100 posts.

My personal view is:

1. unless we are confident enough in our ability/ judgement/ knowledge about stocks and particlulary when we are taking it up as an additional acitivity along with our salary earning, one need to work on asset allocation seriously understanding the risk associated with the stock market and also the likely price we may have to pay for our lack of expertise.
2. i personally do not agree to put any money in share which is borrowed or which is likely to be required in next 3 years of time
3. having certain investments of risk free/ tax free nature like ppf, insurance is must.
4. if one is likely to use the house for own purpose, buying decent property (along with benefit of staying and enjoying it) is minimum real estate investment i would like to go for.
5. bying any depreciating assets like car etc (u may read Basantji's post some where of he using scooter and avoiding investment on depreciating asset like car) must be avoided or to be minimised
6. Gold etc required for minimum social reasons/obligations should be purchased.
7. health insurance is must if not covered by organisation
8. no purchase on credits/ credit cards and all required purchases based on cash on hand.
9. some amount to be available for immergency fall back.

After allocating all these, i would put rest of my salary in stocks.

Of course, this is my personal view, different ppl will have different perspective to the same issue.

-------------
ABILITY will get u at d top. CHARACTER will retain u at d top

Date Posted: 28/Apr/2007 at 9:02am
Putting the money in an open-ended fund appears a risky decision....the basic problem I find with a MF company is that they invest at their own choice and exit under unitholders' pressure. So, although their stock picking skulls may be excellent but unless you make an exit properly I dont think major gains may be expected. Also, the time one spends doing research on what finds to buy, you can also utilise that to cherrypick individual stocks.However, with a close ended find, they have more epriod at their disposal, and are available at a discount to their NAVs, with no entry loads or exit loads payable(although brokerage is, which is generally less than the loadings) always appeal more to me..... although for me, a stock like TICL appears the best choice in the pack which is available at a discount of 45p.c. to its NAV....

I beleive there's a lot of confusion to the word safety/risk......the biggest risk is not knowing your personal orientation....its not absolute returns which should be the giuding light, it should be risk-adjusted returns.....the biggest trap in the market is low risk-high return type of stocks.....for the very term is a mis-nomer. People think that high betas are only dangerous, in my opinion negative betas are no less dangerous.....its a perception, that those who had not rose till a particular point in the bull markets are high returns and low risk stocks..... however, those stocks are equal risky as the bull market may continue its march without they getting out of their range. In that very sense, I am quite a risk taking investor and hence I tend to use debt instruments as a safety tool, and hence my regard for fixed income securities. Most of the value stocks, will fit this bill of riskiness.... rather someone can also say they are low-return and high risk stocks, which they may turn out to be....

So, Vipul may say I am contradicting myself.....but the scenario may change totally, if the bull markets chages its shape......thats the point valie stocks become extremely valuable.....thats when their character changes to low risk high return ........dont know Vipul, but I beleive the markets are making a march to this safety now.....some companies price behaviour is baffling me.... Castrol, GE Shipping, ONGC etc....utilities which are considered to be very slow movers are doing their bit as well......some high profile performers like IT, Construction etc. are reeling under pressure....its not a comment....but an observation and may be wrong in that....

Regards,

Vivek

Date Posted: 29/Apr/2007 at 5:59am

Basant jee,

Please share your views on above msg. I found it very informative.
TED should have star rating to messages, this way writer will get to know rating given by other Teddies.
Vivek, please start few stock specific topics under TED, like Castrol, GE Shipping, ONGC etc and provide your guidance to other members. This way teddies will also write their own suggestion etc. For example there are threads dedicated for Pantaloon, TV18 etc.

-------------

Date Posted: 29/Apr/2007 at 9:39am
Vipul, these are household names.....Its an observayion which I have, that equities are inherently risky as the desired results(read, returns) may be quite different and sometimes opposite to actual result(read, returns). Statistically speaking, the standard devaition will always be high and hence more risky.

Thats why Vipul, when stocks are inherently risky why not take a greater risk by getting into value stocks. Its a common fact that most people lose more in this market than what they earn from this market, so why not trade the other way round, to lose money while the people make money and to make money while they lose money. I would like to stay put in my portfolio but I also consider debt instrument as a part of my portfolio....so cash in never an option (generally) for me....

I think we are discussing it inappropriately here....the post may be moved to a better place.

Regards,

Vivek

Date Posted: 08/Jul/2007 at 4:47pm

70 Times Better Than the Next Microsoft

I recently found this chart from the ever-helpful http://www.moneychimp.com/ - moneychimp.com :

Value Growth
Large Cap 12.4% 9.6%
Small Cap 15.4% 9.3%

Those are historical returns from 1927 to 2004 (not adjusted for inflation). The terms "value" and "growth" are taken from data from Fama and French, whose work is highly respected.

That's a persuasive case for putting small-cap value stocks to work in your portfolio. (We'll get to just how persuasive later.) And you've probably seen plenty of other data showing that small caps outperform large caps and value outperforms growth. Why, then, doesn't small growth outperform large growth? And why does small growth, on average, end up being the worst choice for your money?

Moneychimp.com offers a theory, and I think it's worth seriously entertaining, at least when it comes to how you invest in small caps. Just think about how investors might mentally categorize large- and small-cap value and growth companies. It might look something like this:

Value Growth
Large Cap Well-known boring businesses. Well-known exciting businesses.
Small Cap Unknown boring businesses. The next Microsoft is in here somewhere!

Thanks, moneychimp. You're on to something.

What do value and growth look like?
What's the price difference between what might be "the next Microsoft" and the unknown and boring? Let's look at the data.

There's never been an official ruling on what separates "value" from "growth." There are dozens of ways to make those distinctions, and the data that Fama and French produce comes from their own method of sorting out what makes a value stock and what makes a growth stock. Let's look at a more accessible listing of stocks, to give you an idea of what value and growth look like according to recent data. We'll take the two largest holdings from each of the Vanguard small-cap and large-cap value and growth index funds as of the end of November 2005.

Price-to-book Price-to-earnings
Large-Cap Value
ExxonMobil (NYSE: http://quote.fool.com/summary.aspx?s=XOM - XOM ) 3.5 11.5
Citigroup (NYSE: http://quote.fool.com/summary.aspx?s=C - C ) 2.2 11.1
Large-Cap Growth
Microsoft (Nasdaq: http://quote.fool.com/summary.aspx?s=MSFT - MSFT ) 6.0 22.8
Procter & Gamble (NYSE: http://quote.fool.com/summary.aspx?s=PG - PG ) 10.7 21.5
Small-Cap Value
Colonial BancGroup (NYSE: http://quote.fool.com/summary.aspx?s=CNB - CNB ) 2.0 16.0
Martin Marietta (NYSE: http://quote.fool.com/summary.aspx?s=MLM - MLM ) 3.1 20.9
Small-Cap Growth
Joy Global (Nasdaq: http://quote.fool.com/summary.aspx?s=JOYG - JOYG ) 8.6 38.9
Intuitive Surgical 11.9 87.5

These companies aren't selected to imply that any one or two is likely to do better than another over time. Rather, they're selected to show you what some of the larger players look like when you compare their price to both their book value and their earnings. Obviously, to justify their prices, those companies categorized as "growth" need to grow their earnings much faster than the companies in the value quadrants. The numbers attached to these small-cap growth companies are particularly startling. That's not to say that Joy Global and Intuitive Surgical are necessarily overpriced, nor that they won't grow their earnings sufficiently to be good investments. But to the extent that they represent the other brethren in the small-cap growth field, we can see why the returns for the quadrant as a whole end up disappointing investors.

Taken as a whole -- as measured by thousands of companies, not just two -- small-cap stocks are going to be more inaccurately priced than large caps in the market, but not necessarily better-priced. The inaccuracies work both ways. Those that are overpriced (growth) will be more overpriced than their large-cap brethren, and those that are underpriced (value) will be more so than their large-cap cousins.

What's the cost?
The rewards of being aligned with the right quadrant instead of the wrong one over 78 years are absolutely staggering. Consider: Compounded over those 78 years, $100 would translate to:

Value Growth
Large Cap $898,967 $130,165
Small Cap $7,307,903 $103,626

Is 78 years a relevant investment period? Sure. It's just slightly longer than an average American life span. So the difference between small-cap value and small-cap growth over a lifetime has been a multiple of more than 70 times the end result. That's right: 70 times.

There are literally thousands of companies in that small-cap value quadrant that you should be concentrating on, none of which can possibly be described as "the next Microsoft." They might not carry the wallop of a potential Microsoft over the short term, but over many decades, and taken as a group ... wow.

Source: http://www.fool.com/investing/small-cap/2006/01/12/70-times-better-than-the-next-microsoft.aspx - http://www.fool.com/investing/small-cap/2006/01/12/70-times-better-than-the-next-microsoft.aspx

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Jul/2007 at 5:42pm
Omji there is a very interesting book titled "What works on Wall Street?" I would try and post something out of it but that book has details on what are the factors to look for in winning companies as per historical averages.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Jul/2007 at 6:25pm
I was wondering Basant sir.

1) If someone got into Pantaloon at 400 odd rupees recently, it would be more inclined towards a growth large-cap or value large-cap?

2) TV18 at 600(before split), what do you think it was more inclined towards?

3) What do you think Nucleus Software Experts is more inclined towards: a value small-cap or a growth small-cap. It's growth rate is going to be 40% at least for the next 3 years and the it is trading at currently 29.5 PE TTM.

And thank you Basant sir...would love to read what you post. You are yourself a book, so your take on the article above by Motley would be a definite gain in itself for TEDdies.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Jul/2007 at 8:04pm
1) If someone got into Pantaloon at 400 odd rupees recently, it would be more inclined towards a growth large-cap or value large-cap? Largecap with growth and retructuring (spin off) kickers. 

2) TV18 at 600(before split), what do you think it was more inclined towards?Mid cap value with growth and restructuring kickers!

3) What do you think Nucleus Software Experts is more inclined towards: a value small-cap or a growth small-cap. It's growth rate is going to be 40% at least for the next 3 years and the it is trading at currently 29.5 PE TTM.Mid cap with growth.The lower PE is offset by the concern on dollar rupee etc so though it appears cheap it carries the uncertainity - I am no expert on Nucleus though.

See unless the PE is significantly less then the growth rate we cannot term the  companies as value. In all the above examples the PE's are running closer to the growth rates.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Jul/2007 at 9:24pm
A PE of 20 on a 40% growth, would that be good enough for a midcap value Basant sir?

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Jul/2007 at 10:04pm
ABsolutely that should be a nice matrix to get involced with. On the other hand with growth companies you can get that kind of a matrix witha  waiting period of 6-12 months so no big deal there except for the time lag. As long as that ratio does not get really out of shape the earnings catch up with valuations quite easily.Questions is how sure are we on the visibility.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Jul/2007 at 10:24pm

Yes, visibility is quite important. At least a 3 year visibility for me. Thank you for your valuable inputs as always and thanks for that reaffirmation for a 20 PE entry for a 40% grower. In fact, this 20 PE and stuff is the job that I do last.

It's like being a "construction company". Once the whole design and plan is setup for building a colony, the last part is employing the construction workers who will actually lay those bricks down.

Hence, my "water purifier" system for healthy water:

1) Management filter(credibility, vision, shareholder-friendliness, transparency, aggressive): 50% of the system

2) Past growth rate filter (viewing financial reports, visiting websites for news): 20% of the system

3) Future growth rate possible: 20% of the system

4) Getting a "value-zone" price entry(Usually, try my best to keep a PEG of less than 0.5 between Forward PE and Future Growth Rate.): 10% of the system.

Once something goes through all these filters, then I drink the water. Others can share their views too, so we all can learn together.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Jul/2007 at 12:12pm

Here's some interesting reading on Top 100 mid size companies identified by BW.

The http://www.businessworld.in/content/view/2078/2143 - BW Best Midsize Companies

Tomorrow’s blue chips will come from amongst the ranks of today’s hungry entrepreneurs. Identifying India Inc.’s best performing mid-size companies.

http://www.businessworld.in/content/view/2078/2143">

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Jul/2007 at 1:17am
such articles come out when the bull run is on...but honestly the reader should not get carried away by such articles .....as they have to print something to keep their roj ki roti going ...

Date Posted: 08/Jul/2007 at 5:20am

Today, I saw this list & noticed one more time on why stock selection is both art & science. Pikcs like Teledata, DCM, Atul, Dhampur deserves no further investigation.

-------------

Posted By: tyler_durden
Date Posted: 11/Jul/2007 at 4:36pm
I am happy to see gokaldas right up there...

-------------
If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm.

Date Posted: 20/Jul/2007 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by s_praharaj

Congratulations Basant on your maiden article of the series you plan to write on Identifying Multibaggers.
Its a very well written article

which article is being refered over here?

-------------

Date Posted: 20/Jul/2007 at 11:49pm
ok. i got the one being referred here.

it is: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1095&FID=41&PR=3&PN=1

-------------

Posted By: rider.royal
Date Posted: 08/Oct/2007 at 1:16am
Just read the complete article posted by basantji, thanks to you for making it so simple to understand for laymen like me.     

Date Posted: 13/Oct/2007 at 2:22pm
Here's are excerpts from an article written by Mohnish Pabrai almost 5 years ago. Well....some arguments are debatable.

--------------------------------------------------

http://www.thestreet.com/p/rmoney/valueperspective/10058364.html - The Danger in Buying the Biggest
By Mohnish Pabrai

There is a French saying: "Buy on the cannons, and sell on the trumpets!" Whether they were speaking metaphorically or not, that's exactly what Sir John Templeton did.

Templeton is considered by many to be, perhaps, the greatest global stock-picker of the 20th century, so it seems worthwhile to subscribe to his proven theory of buying beaten down-stocks at points of maximum pessimism.

The reverse of Templeton's approach would be to buy stocks at points of maximum optimism -- and a good place to find optimism is among the most valued businesses in the world.

If you started with $10,000 invested in the most valuable business when the Fortune 500 list was released in April 1987 (that year it was IBM and every year thereafter reinvested the funds in the new (or same) most valued business, by 2002, you would have realized an annualized gain of just 3.3%. Over the same period, the S&P 500 delivered about 10% annualized.

The Most Valuable Fortune 500 Business (1987-2002)
A strategy based on this table would have trailed the S&P
Year Company Market Cap* Revenue* Net Income*
1987 IBM $89 $51 $4.8
1988 IBM 68 59 5.8
1989 IBM 70 63 5.2
1990 IBM 61 69 6.0
1991 IBM 75 65 2.1
1992 Exxon 69 103 4.8
1993 Exxon 78 100 5.3
1994 GE 90 40 5.9
1995 GE 92 43 6.6
1996 GE 126 46 7.3
1997 GE 170 49 8.2
1998 GE 260 56 10.7
1999 Microsoft 419 20 7.6
2000 Microsoft 492 23 9.4
2001 GE 407 68 14.1
2002 GE 401 73 16.6
*Figures in billions.
Source: 1987-2002 Fortune 500 lists and Value Line

While the data demonstrate the superiority of the maximum pessimism investment approach, there is something interesting at work here. An examination of the table shows that none of the most valued businesses got much beyond $100 billion in revenue or $10 billion to $15 billion in net income.

Is there a natural upper limit on revenue or profitability of a business?

Nature provides some possible answers. Mammals rule the world, but the largest land-based mammal is the elephant. 

Mammals have to eat a lot to generate energy. As a result, mammal size is bounded by the energy a given area of land can consistently supply. It is also bounded by internal organs like the heart, which have to pump blood to the body's extremities. Thus, these extremities are physically constrained from being too far from the heart, and that imposes another size constraint.

Lumbering

Large businesses have their own extremities. There is a critical need to rapidly get data back and forth between the central organizational heart (CEO) and all the extremities (customers and foot soldiers). Over the last 100 years, the speed and breadth of these arteries have increased dramatically, and with them has grown the size of our largest companies.

There is, however, an upper limit to senior management's ability to accurately process the various inputs regardless of the size or speed of the arteries. This limitation translates into a size constraint on most businesses.

In addition, the most valued business is under constant attack from the marauding invaders who want to unseat it. This leads to what Clay Christensen, author of The Innovator's Dilemma: When New Technologies Cause Great Firms to Fail, described as the disruptive innovation phenomenon -- against which the incumbent is virtually powerless.

The Law

All of this leads to Pabrai's Law of Large Numbers. The ultimate principle of this law is that one would be best off never making an investment in any business that generates more than $3 billion to $4 billion in annual cash flow and is considered a blue-chip. These businesses are very unlikely to be able to endlessly grow cash flow.

Indeed, cash flows are most likely to tread water or start dropping almost immediately after your investment. A few companies will buck the trend, but they're probably not the ones that end up in your portfolio. Over the years, I've taken a pass on many supposedly stellar businesses purely on the basis of the Law of Large Numbers, and I've never regretted it.

Taking insurance while playing Blackjack seems very logical, but it's a sucker's bet. Investing in the most valuable businesses around is no different.

-------------

Date Posted: 16/Mar/2008 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Vivek Sukhani

Its a pity that most people are advising changing from small/midcap to large cap.....when value atrts to emerge people simply turn their back on them.....

Earlier I was also a big fan of the small cap thgeme. But over the past 12-18 months I have realised that mroe then the cap it is the scale of opportunity that matters for example cap is important but not the endall.

A small cap to make larger returns has to be cheaply valued relatively to a large cap. FOr example if City Union Bank and HDFC bank trade at equal valuations I would prefer HDFC bank and would buy City only if the valautiosn are relatively cheaper!

You always learn new things in life and this is something I learnt and intend to practice.

-------------

Posted By: Janak.merchant1
Date Posted: 16/Mar/2008 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by basant

Earlier I was also a big fan of the small cap thgeme. But over the past 12-18 months I have realised that mroe then the cap it is the scale of opportunity that matters for example cap is important but not the endall.

You always learn new things in life and this is something I learnt and intend to practice.
[/QUOTE

YEs. True. Clap

YEs. True. Clap

-------------
I love my money, not my opinion. So i am ready and willing to change my opinion for the sake of protecting my money.

Posted By: experteye
Date Posted: 04/Jun/2008 at 12:21pm

It is not how much we do to find out multibaggers,
but how much INSIGHT we put into doing it.

-------------
more risk,more profit but have a vision before taking risk,itis all about investment in equities market.

Posted By: sathyamurthy
Date Posted: 06/Oct/2008 at 4:29pm
Thanks us 121, I am a newbie. Happened to see yr. post. I fully subscribe to yr views. I would never exchange my 70 kmpl bike for a 17 kmpl car. Moreover, one of my relatives had to sell off his house to pay for the mistake of playing on borrowed capital. I want to be an investor, not a gambler. Anyhow, can you suggest some small cap potential multibaggers for my sake.
Regards

Posted By: Suresh Makhija
Date Posted: 12/Oct/2009 at 5:43pm

Dera members as we are talking about multibaggers yahh thats right first we have to look for the good comapny having huge oppotunity ie scalability and seeing all theses dvelopment as industrialisation is on  increase what i think is that logistic companies have huge opportunity and   potential to be multibagger and clear winner in all logistic companies is  TRANSPORTATION CORPORATION OF INDIA AS THEY HAVE PAN INDIA PRESENCE AND RECENLTY THEY ARE EXPANDING IN OTHER COUNTRIES LIKE SINGAPORE THAILAND HONG KNONG EUROPE USA .AFTER IMPLEMENTAION OF GST  ALSO THEY HAVE  GOOD OPPORTUNITY. AND THE HIDDEN THING IS THAT THEY HAVE GOT 220 PROPERTIES IN ALL  INDIA  AND IT HAS HUGE VALUE WHENEVR IT WILL BE UNLOCKED. SO PLZZ HAVE A LOOK ON THJIS COMPANY

THNAKS AND REGARDS
SURESH

-------------
HI I M SURESH AND I LOVE TO INVEST IN STOCK MARKET.

Date Posted: 12/Oct/2009 at 6:05pm
A smaller font and a better color could have carried this message equally well! TCI is a transporter with a capital heavy model and low Return ratios how does one account for bullishness in a company/industry with such low RoE?

-------------

Posted By: naveenbadaya
Date Posted: 30/Oct/2009 at 9:06pm
Dear Basantji,

What are the current Multibagger/Value stocks? Which Forum should I refer to see w.r.t. current month's price? Most of the forums have outdated price/context to do analysis. Pls advise

Date Posted: 30/Oct/2009 at 9:28pm
I wish I could have provided you with an instant answer!

-------------

Posted By: naveenbadaya
Date Posted: 30/Oct/2009 at 8:07am
Any good sites you can refer for Analysis(with 5 yrs fin data, ratios, mgmt insights)?
Also If I start to build a portfolio, Is it a good idea to look at Equity Desk XI current portfolio? Some stocks may already have reached maturity phase...no?

Posted By: rajnsharma
Date Posted: 30/Oct/2009 at 10:28am
Originally posted by naveenbadaya

Any good sites you can refer for Analysis(with 5 yrs fin data, ratios, mgmt insights)?Also If I start to build a portfolio, Is it a good idea to look at Equity Desk XI current portfolio? Some stocks may already have reached maturity phase...no?

check out moneycontrol.com or myiris.com or rediff money for data. Regarding maturity, each of the TEDXI stock has a thread and within that it has been discussed thoroughly. You will find various opinion there and it may probably help you in forming some opinion on each one of them.

Posted By: prudentinvestor
Date Posted: 05/Nov/2011 at 7:55pm
wrong post

-------------
"All you need for a lifetime of successful investing is a few big winners, and the pluses from those will overwhelm the minuses from the stocks that don’t work out..” - Peter Lynch

Posted By: guruam
Date Posted: 05/Dec/2011 at 4:00pm
sir please tel me how is face value is related to current market price

Date Posted: 09/Dec/2011 at 3:38pm
There is no fundamental relation between the market price and the face value of a stock.

-------------

Posted By: SK1076
Date Posted: 10/Dec/2011 at 1:28pm

But isnt it true Basantji, that comparatively lesser upside is left when a stocks face value comes down from 10 to 1. It would be interesting to find out that how many X times a Multibagger makes before & after it comes to the lowest face value of 1.

Originally posted by basant

There is no fundamental relation between the market price and the face value of a stock.

-------------
Patience PAYS/-

Date Posted: 10/Dec/2011 at 1:39pm
That is a problem of market cap and not face value because subdivision usually happens when a stock reaches high mkt cap.

-------------

Posted By: KACHAM
Date Posted: 20/Feb/2012 at 2:42pm
hi ,
Can we have a TED XI of potential multi baggers.
I was trying to find potential companies under 1000K market cap.
Jamna Auto Industries, Kaveri seed ae the two companies i could find but not sure of the oppty size in this area.
can some one help here pls.

Thanks

-------------
Jai Telangana, Jai Jai Telangana

Print Page | Close Window