Print Page | Close Window

Champagne Indage - Let's Celebrate !!!

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios!
Forum Name: Emerging companies - Mid caps that can become large cap
Forum Discription: These are companies operating in growing markets having have certain niches or specific attributes like new sector plays. These are emerging multibaggers with high risks and high rewards.
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1122
Printed Date: 28/Apr/2024 at 9:49pm

Topic: Champagne Indage - Let's Celebrate !!!
Posted By: deveshkayal
Subject: Champagne Indage - Let's Celebrate !!!
Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 12:40pm

Champagne Indage – Let’s Celebrate !!

Champagne Indage Ltd (CIL) is India’s leading wine producing company with a 75% market share in the wine segment and also Asia’s largest producer of wines. CIL has been instrumental, to a large extent, in developing Indian wine industry. It produces white, red, sparkling and rosy wines of many varieties. Apart from domestic market, the company exports wine to USA, Japan, UK, Switzerland, Germany and other European countries. CIL has a total wine production capacity of 6.5 million litres across five countries. It is also making two more wineries in India, one each at Baramati and Nasik. CIL has a portfolio of brands like Riviera, Chantilli, IVY, Figueire, Vin Ballet, VINO, etc.

Subsidiaries:

Seabuckthorn Indage Ltd (Fruit juice business) - 52.63%

The juice business of Seabuckthorn Indage is growing at 400%. In the home market CIL has introduced 10 juice varieties under the brand name Leh Berry in 200-ml and 1-litre tetra packs. CIL plans to introduce line extension products like jams, jellies, marmalade, and pickles for the Seabuckthorn fruit. This is likely to expand the product range and reduce dependency on its wine business.

For more visit : http://www.lehberry.com/home2.html - http://www.lehberry.com/home2.html

Thachi Wines (Australian Wine business)

The acquisition of Thachi Wines (TW), Australia, has given Champagne Indage a global footprint. TW has contractual arrangements for vineyards and a winery in Australia, and processes 2.7m litres of wine a year. At present, TW markets its products in Australia, China and Europe under the brand name Broken Earth. Most of this wine is sold unbranded. The acquisition would provide a ready-made market for CIL to hawk its own brands in these countries through TW’s distribution channels

Indage UK (Distribution arm)

To market its product in the UK and Europe.

CMP: Rs.671

Market Cap: Rs.852 crs

EPS for FY07: Rs.15.4

EPS Growth : over 100%

ROE for FY07: 15.8

Opportunities:

- Indian demand is tiny compared to the $117-billion global wine market, but has been growing at 20 percent annually in the last seven years, according to a report by Rabo India, a unit of Dutch financial giant Rabobank. The Indian wine market stands at Rs.450 crore in value terms.

- CIL will sell its products in the supermarkets of Maharashtra, Karnataka, Chandigarh, Goa and Haryana. CIL plans to open more than 1,000 outlets and sell more than 4.5 mn litres in the current fiscal. Retail expansion which would be a mix of franchise and company-owned outlets and would be branded as 'IVY Wine Bars'.

- CIL aims for a total capacity of 14 mn litres by October 2008.

- Economy brand, Vino brings in about 12% of revenue. CIL expects beer drinkers to migrate to Vino due to the latter’s attractive price of Rs 99 a bottle.

Risks:

Q1 is the weakest quarter due to seasonality of business. United Spirits, Sula Wines, Seagram, Grover Wines and Diageo are the competitors in this space.

Prominent Investors:

Sonata Investments            820000    6.75%

Shivanand Mankekar         221420     1.82%

FII's have heavily loaded this stock.

Interesting Links:

http://inhome.rediff.com/money/2007/mar/19wine.htm - http://inhome.rediff.com/money/2007/mar/19wine.htm

http://indianwine.com/cs/blogs/about_wine/archive/2006/10/17/1115.aspx - http://indianwine.com/cs/blogs/about_wine/archive/2006/10/17/1115.aspx

----------------------------------------------------------------

I have no idea on wine,so please dont direct any questions towards me.Plz direct it to wine connoisseur TEDdies!

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Replies:
Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 1:12pm
Devesh...nice post.

Especially in IT/ITES/BPO employees (male & female both) & returned NRI population, wine drinking is a status symbol. This business is indeed poised for exponetial growth. The similar phase happened in South-East Asian tiger economies in the 90s.

-------------
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards

Posted By: basant
Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 1:30pm
Devesh any idea as to how long this 100% growth will continue? Will it be because of price increases or volume expansion or both.

Can anyone indicate how their brands are doing? ARe they for the upcountry people or for the normal crowd. How much does a one time splash cost normally?

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: smartcat
Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 1:39pm
I hear wine goes well with Indian food like Chicken Tikka!

The entire wine industry is growing at 30 - 40%. So it might be possible for companies like Champagne Indage to grow at a higher rate.

Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 1:46pm
Nothing better then to invest where the industry is growing at 40%? Any idea on this management

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: tyler_durden
Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by smartcat

I hear wine goes well with Indian food like Chicken Tikka!

The entire wine industry is growing at 30 - 40%. So it might be possible for companies like Champagne Indage to grow at a higher rate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you re right smart cat indian food..like chicken tikkas, reshami kebabs , etc go very well with wine....and i can see more n more people ordering wine and even champagne these days in TGIF or Other good pubs here....

-------------
If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm.

Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 2:00pm

No idea about the management quality, but I think it is a father-son duo running the show.

Before investing, what one needs to consider the Mallya factor. The big man is making acquisitions in France. It remains to the seen if Indage can remain No. 1. But I guess when the industry is growing at a scorching pace, it would be okay even if Champagne Indage's marketshare goes down.

Other risks include cheap imports (if tariff barriers are removed) and crop failure.

Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 2:07pm

On Pune-Nasik highway, Champagne Indage & other wine making companies have vineyards & they promote Wine Tourism. As per media reports weekends are pretty crowded there. I don't have a first hand experience though.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by smartcat

No idea about the management quality, but I think it is a father-son duo running the show.

Before investing, what one needs to consider the Mallya factor. The big man is making acquisitions in France. It remains to the seen if Indage can remain No. 1. But I guess when the industry is growing at a scorching pace, it would be okay even if Champagne Indage's marketshare goes down.

Other risks include cheap imports (if tariff barriers are removed) and crop failure.

Right. Though I would personally not buy it because I have no idea on the industry/product it does seem attractive but what I wanted to know was how powerful are these brands. if the brands are strong Mallya would not be able to make a dent. Something likje the coca cola example.

If I like Bagpiper I would not drink anything else but bagpiper. Similar with the ones who smoke (Wills) in Coke Pepsi does have a similar taste!

-------------

Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 3:16pm
I don't think Indage's brands are very strong. It is difficult to create strong brands in an environment that doesn't allow advertising. The only thing you can do is use an Indage's brand name and advertise it as 'golf accessories' or 'cassette & CDs'. The popularity of brands has to be via word of mouth or through 'Ivy Wine Bars'.

There was a report in Motilal Oswal on United Spirits 8 months back. This report has lots of data about the wine industry. I have been following Champagne Indage for a long time. I think I will get into this stock only after the company 'becomes bigger'.

Champagne Indage & other wine making companies have vineyards & they promote Wine Tourism

Grover Vineyards (Bangalore) offers wine tours for Rs. 2,000 per head (Minimum 10 people in a group). You get to see the entire wine manufacturing process (from picking of grapes to processing to packaging). Then you get to taste different sorts of wines and then buy bottles of wine at bulk rates.

Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 4:26pm
 I think I will get into this stock only after the company 'becomes bigger'.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Smartcat, could you please elaborate the reasoning behind this as it's not very clear to me.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 4:39pm
I'm mostly a 'large cap' guy - 85% of my portfolio constitutes large caps stocks. I'm a bit vary of investing in really small companies.

And Devesh has pointed out that market size for wine sales is just Rs. 450 crores. I'm mostly interested in companies that generate annual profits of Rs. 450 crores!

Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 4:53pm
Okay, got it.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 5:00pm
Smartcat: That is really a very safe thing to do. largecaps never fall by more then 30% and small and midcaps lose 30% on a weekly basis.

Sometimes I also think about changing my strategy but it never seems to happen.

-------------

Posted By: omshivaya
Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by basant

SOmetimes I also think about changing my strategy...

Stop scaring TEDdies sir jee.

-------------
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it

Posted By: India_Bull
Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 9:30pm

Market for wine in India is very small and it is good news that it is growing and I am sure Dr.Mallya is clever to understand that also. He has formed a joint venture with mr. Sharad Pawars brothers winery in Baramati.

I have not tested Indian wine yet but I am sure once the people test firangi wine, they will switch from the local ones.

-------------
India_Bull forever Bull !
www.kapilcomedynights.com

Posted By: tigershark
Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 10:08pm
REDUCTION in import tariffs poses a big threat,inferior quality of wines is another threat,mallyas marketing muscle is a threat.

-------------
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things

Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 11:40pm
The Indian wine market currently stands at 4.6 million litres in volume terms and Rs 450 crore in value terms.

The wine market is expected to grow to 8.3 million litres by 2010. Per capita consumption of wine remains extremely low in India; however, there is growing consumer interest in wine with a number of wine clubs opening in Delhi, Chandigarh, Hyderabad and Bangalore.

Nearly 80 per cent of wine sales are accounted for by the major cities, especially New Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Pune and Bangalore.

West India accounts for over 41 per cent of total volume sales of wine in India, followed by North India, which accounts for 29 per cent of volume sales.

Nearly 90 per cent of wine sales are for still (that is, red and white) wines. Sparkling and ros� wines, in contrast, target select segments of particularly affluent consumers.

In most states the sale of wine remains restricted to licensed off-and on-trade outlets, which means a limited number of outlets selling wine.

Around 63 per cent of the volume sales of wine are through off-trade channel in five-star hotels, pubs and bar-restaurants.

KIT by Technopak Advisors

Going by the above report, market for wine is Rs.800 crs by 2010 in India.Even if Champagne Indage market share dips to 50%, they can do Rs.400 crs sales from Indian market alone while my guess is that they will do Rs.100 crs sales from Exports (20% of total sales).In all they will do 500 crs sales by 2010. The turnover for FY07 was Rs.143 crs that means 3.5 times jump in revenues in three years. I see no reason why the stock won't give significant returns. Also the juice business is exciting. The products are available from Rs.100 to Rs.1000.

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Posted By: ndzapak
Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 1:47am

Excerpt from SSKI Report on Wine Industry & Champagne Indage

Note : This is an old report of November 2006. Since then the stock has appreciated from levels of Rs. 390 to present level of  around Rs.700

Summary

The wine god Bacchus is smiling upon India. Wine, a poor cousin of “hard” drinkshere, is slowly but surely finding its feet. The industry grew at 25%+ per annum overthe last three years to Rs2.6bn currently. Interestingly, growth rates will be strongergoing forward; with young, loaded Indians aspiring to “arrive” in the society as alsofavorable regulations encouraging viticulture, the industry is estimated to record astrong 60% CAGR over FY06-10 and 24% over FY10-15, to Rs20bn and Rs60bnrespectively. The credit for seeding India with a wine culture goes to ChampagneIndage (CIL), the market leader with a 70% share and the only listed play in the space.We believe CIL is at the vantage point to reap the rewards of its perseverance, and isset to witness exponential growth (90% EPS CAGR over FY06-09E).

Potential unlimited – an Rs20bn market estimated by FY10: At per capita

consumption of 0.07 litres per annum, the Indian wine market offers an exponentialgrowth opportunity for producers. The industry is estimated to log in 60% CAGR forthe industry over FY06-10 and 24% CAGR over FY10-15, to Rs20bn and Rs60bnrespectively.

In India, the total number of wineries stands at 38, of which 36 are in Maharashtra.The state accounts for over 85% of India’s wine production. In terms ofconsumption pattern, around 80% of wine consumption in India is confined to thecities

India has 75,000 acres of vineyards, of which less than 10% (only 7,000 acres) areused for growing wine-grade grapes.

“TROPICAL WINESFROM INDIA: A LONG-TERM OPPORTUNITY

Besides a huge latent domestic market, there is a window of opportunity for

domestic wine producers to create a unique niche or “position” for Indian wines inthe international market. Given India’s tropical climate, the sunshine factor impartsa unique flavour to the grape grown and wines produced here vis-ŕ-vis those by theworld’s two principal wine producing blocks – the “Old World” and the “NewWorld”. Other than India, only Brazil – which has recently started wine production– boasts of a tropical climate. This offers an opportunity to the domestic producersto create a separate niche or “position” for Indian wines in the international market– that of “Tropical Wines”. However, given that the domestic market is big enoughto absorb even the ramped up supplies in the coming period, we see this as a longtermstory for the domestic industry with a perspective of 5-7 years.

CHAMPAGNE INDAGE: PROXY FOR THE INDIAN WINE INDUSTRY

With 70% of the market under its belt, Champagne Indage is the largest and onlylisted player in the Indian wine industry. The company is vertically integrated with~5,600 acres of vineyards under cultivation – both owned by the group and oncontract farming basis. Its robust portfolio of 35 brands (28 of which are owned)straddles the entire price spectrum in the market place – from Rs99/ bottle toRs600+/ bottle

After Champagne Indage, Sula Vineyards is the second largest player in the Indianwine industry with a 20% market share. Set up in 1998 at Nashik in Maharshtra,this new entrant into the industry has notched up an impressive performance in ashort span to garner this market share. The company has three wineries with a totalcapacity of nearly 2m litres per annum and access to vineyards with an expanse ofabout 400 acres. Besides selling its own products, Sula also imports and distributeswines from leading worldwide players in the domestic market.

Grover Vineyards is another well-known player in India with ~7% market share.

The company owns over 200 acres for growing wine grade grapes near Bangaloreand uses 35 varieties of French wine grade grapes in its production process. GroverVineyards too is a private company with 14% stake held by Veuve ClicquotPonsardin, a leading champagne house of France.

McDowell & Co has acquiredBouvet Ladubay, a winery in France. Before setting up a local winery in France, thecompany would initially ship the wine in bulk and bottle it in India till a strong franchise has been created for its brands.

CIL makes 35 varieties of wine with the help of 100 varieties of grapes. The brands spanacross price points catering to every economic strata. The company has a virtual monopolyin sparkling wine, with brands such as Marquise De Pompadour, Joie, Ivy Brut, Milleniumfor the elite wine lovers. Among still wine range Riviera is the largest selling brand. With India's younger generation getting attracted to wine consumption, CIL has introduced anaffordable range to convert beer drinkers such as Vino priced at Rs99 per bottle and Sin

- a wine cooler economically priced at Rs30 per 330ml bottle. Other brands under JVinclude Cranswick Indage (Australia), Wente Indage (California), Zulu (South Africa) andRhine Pride (Germany).

SSKI Recommendation

We expect CIL to register sales CAGR of 75%+ over FY06-09 on the back of

capacity expansion and strong demand growth. With margins in the 28%+ region,RoCE of 19.5% and RoE of 18%+, the stock compares favourably with peers in thealcoholic beverages industry – both domestic and international. The stock trades at12.8x FY07E EV/ EBIDTA vis-ŕ-vis 14.0-17.5x for the peer group. With estimatedCAGR of 90%+ over FY06-09 in earnings, we initiate coverage on the stock with anOutperformer rating and a 12-month price target of Rs500.

-------------
the Equitydesk is the best

Date Posted: 07/Aug/2007 at 11:32am
The industry is estimated to log in 60% CAGR forthe industry over FY06-10 and 24% CAGR over FY10-15, to Rs20bn and Rs60bn respectively.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2000 crs by 2010...WOW!! This stock will go places.Management is expecting to do a turnover of over 300 crs in FY08.

I feel those who are comparing Champagne Indage with UB, is like comparing Pantaloon Retail with Reliance Retail.CIL has experience of over 20 years in this business.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Aug/2007 at 1:09pm
Nice argument, but Mallya is the 'botal ka baadshah'.

90% CAGR growth estimates in EPS is simply amazing. What do you plan to do with this stock?

Like in the developed markets, we can have our own 'VICE' portfolio filled with liquor, tobacco, mining (environment unfriendly), retail (stealing jobs from poor) and real estate (stealing land from farmers for SEZ) companies. I hear VICE PORTFOLIO generally outperforms all others.

Posted By: sushil
Date Posted: 08/Aug/2007 at 8:40pm
The recent jump in this Stock may be because of Outperformed rating by Prabhusdas Lilladher. I like this stock because of it's dominance in the Wine market. Other thing is, wine is not popular in masses in country like India. The consumption per person is much larger in Developed countries. Of course the situation is changing in India. I also bought it at 260 but sold it at 660 few months back. This is one of the company that I like to track.

A few things I remember while purchasing this company Wink :
This a very volatile stock with low volume. It can easily be down to 40%, if for whatever reason Market goes into deep correction, like in May 2006. It's not easy to sell with stop loss if you are holding good quantity, because of it's low volume. Personally I buy this company when fear is all around and sell it when everything looks good.  Of course one can hold it during this volatility just like Investing Legends Warren Buffett if you believe in it. Unfortunately I do not have this kind of patience.

Below is the recent report published in Moneycontrol.com

Champagne Indage an outperformer: Prabhudas Lilladher
2007-08-06 16:52:26 Source : Moneycontrol.com      

Research firm Prabhudas Lilladher has recommended an outperformer rating on Champagne Indage. At the CMP of Rs 632, the stock trades at 17.6x FY08E earnings of Rs 36.0, and at 10.5x FY09E earnings of Rs 59.9.

Prabhudas Lilladher report on Champagne Indage:

Result Snapshot

Champagne Indage’s Q1 FY08 results excelled our expectations. Net sales jumped 186% yoy (our expectation: 264%), operating profit shot up 146% and net profit rocketed 94% (our expectation: 94%). The operating margin dropped 380bp—from 26.4% to 22.6% (our expectation: 14.6%)— due to the change in product mix. The consolidated results include those of Seabuckthorn Indage, Indage UK and Thachi Wines, which were not there in the same quarter last year and hence the results are not comparable. At the CMP of Rs 632, the stock trades at 17.6x FY08E earnings of Rs 36.0, and at 10.5x FY09E earnings of Rs 59.9. We expect the scrip to be an OUTPERFORMER.

Result Highlights

Strong sales growth

For Q1 FY08, Champagne Indage has reported a 186% yoy jump in net sales—from Rs 117 million to Rs 334 million (we expected Rs 425 million). The results include the sales of Seabuckthorn Indage (fruit juice business), Thachi Wines (Australian wine operations) and Indage, UK (distribution arm), which were not there in the same quarter last year. Hence the results are not analogous. Most of growth came from the rise in volumes, as there has been no major price change. The company has initiated several retail measures like the opening of wine bars, shop-inshop, display at shopping malls, etc. The Maharashtra Government has allowed wine as a “food” item and relaxed storage and distribution norms. It has also abolished excise duty on wines. These steps have helped boost sales growth.

Drop in margin

During the quarter, Champagne’s operating margin 380bp—from 26.4% to 22.6% (we expected 14.6%)—due to the change in product mix, as there was a greater proportion of low-margin products, namely Australian bulk wine and fruit juice. Material costs shot up 2,340bp—3.5% to 26.9% of net sales—from the change in product mix. Personnel expenses slipped 40bp—from 14.1% to 13.7% of net sales—due to strong sales growth. ‘Other expenses’ too dropped, 1,930bp—from 56.0% to 36.7% of net sales—due to strong sales growth and a tight control on marketing expenses.

Higher interest and depreciation

Interest cost jumped 84%—from Rs 14 million to Rs 26 million—due to enhanced working capital in view of strong top line growth. Depreciation also increased, by 347%—from Rs 4 million to Rs 16 million—with the additional depreciation of the Australian operations.

Net profit improved

Net profit shot up 94%—from Rs 14 million to Rs 26 million (matching our expectation)—due to the integration of businesses and strong volume growth. The EPS for the quarter rocketed 76%—from Rs 1.30 to Rs 2.20.

Investment positives

The acquisition of Thachi Wines (TW), Australia, has given Champagne Indage a global footprint. TW has contractual arrangements for vineyards and a winery in Australia, and processes 2.7m litres of wine a year. At present, TW markets its products in Australia, China and Europe under the brand name Broken Earth. Most of this wine is sold unbranded. The acquisition would provide a ready-made market for CIL to hawk its own brands in these countries through TW’s distribution channels.

CIL plans to bring TW’s bulk wine to India and bottle it at its plant here. This is likely to be marketed domestically as a wine of Australian origin. This would generate additional revenue.

The company’s economy brand, Vino, has reported healthy growth in FY07 and brings in about 12% of revenue. CIL expects beer drinkers to migrate to Vino due to the latter’s attractive price of Rs 99 a bottle.

The juice business of Seabuckthorn Indage is growing at 400% (on a smaller base). In the home market CIL has introduced 10 juice varieties under the brand name Leh Berry in 200-ml and 1-litre tetra packs. The juice business is likely to be another growth driver.

The company has set up a 100% subsidiary in the UK under the name Indage (UK) to market its products to Indian restaurants in the UK and Europe. This is likely to enhance its exports.

CIL’s established brands come at all price points. It has more than an 80% market share in the home market. With the national wine policy under implementation and the relaxation of distribution norms, the company is likely to benefit in future.

Sale of wine in supermarkets is now allowed in Maharashtra, Karnataka, Chandigarh, Goa and Haryana. This is likely to widen and deepen wine consumption.

Financials and Valuations

We expect CAGRs of 154% in net sales and 97% in net profit over the next two years — from the acquisition of TW and the juice business of the group company. We expect the juice business to contribute Rs 0.95 billion and Rs 2.5 billion to sales in FY08 and FY09 respectively. We expect TW to contribute Rs 2.1 billion and Rs 2.9 billion to sales in FY08 and FY09 respectively. We expect the operating margin to drop—from 24% in FY07 to 17.7% in FY08, and further to 16.4% in FY09. The decline in the margin would be attributable to the lower margins in TW and the juice business. The CMP of Rs 632 discounts the FY08E EPS of Rs 36.0 by 17.6x and the FY09E EPS of Rs 59.9 by 10.5x. We expect the scrip to be an OUTPERFORMER.

Date Posted: 08/Aug/2007 at 11:27pm
What do you plan to do with this stock?
------------------------------------------
I plan to add...portfolio churning is going on......

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Aug/2007 at 11:33pm
One of my friend who is working in the F&B dept of Taj,Mumbai says people prefer White wine the most with brands like Chardonnay and Sula...Chateau Indage brands are also in great demand...

-------------

Posted By: vivekkumar_in
Date Posted: 08/Aug/2007 at 12:31pm
Devesh ji,
  It does look interesting..

- Industry growth about 40% CAGR
 - Market leader
 - Good growth past 2 yrs
 - Future looks exciting

- PE of 52 or so is what looks bit expensive
 - But from chart looks like the stock has formed a nice base around 600-650 or so.. May be hard to get below that unless there is a May 06..
 - Stock appears to be making a new upmove...

I might want to make a small exposure.. I just sold some Nucleus for some tax benefits..

What price would you be comfortable to pick up ?

Regards,
Vivek

-------------
Often we forget there's a company behind every stock,and there's only one reason why stocks go up. Companies go from doing poorly to doing well or small companies grow to large companies.
P Lynch

Posted By: jstk
Date Posted: 09/Aug/2007 at 5:20pm
Future group PE arm has bought 20% in Rajeev Samant promoted Sula for 50 cr.
Generally speaking Sula & Grover wines are better than CI.. Imported wines & spirits distributor Brindco wines promoted by Aman Dhal has bought a 20% stake & distribution rights in Grover .

UB is launching their wines and has recruited lots of senior wine  Sales & mktg guys from competition. The domestic wine industry ( especially Maharsahtra based )has the backing of India's Agriculture minister and VJM is also known to be cose to him.

the domestic wine industry's lobbying seems to be paying off, with Maharashtra excise commissioner increasing the duty from Rs.150 to 150% of CIF value making most imported wines costlier by more than 100%.

details of Pantaloon acquisition are available on:

http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:11STzorCwREJ:www.vccircle.com/blog/_archives/2007/8/1/3132118.html+pantaloon+sula&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=in - http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:11STzorCwREJ:www.vccircle.com/blog/_archives/2007/8/1/3132118.html+pantaloon+sula&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=in http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:11STzorCwREJ:www.vccircle.com/blog/_archives/2007/8/1/3132118.html+pantaloon+sula&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=in -

-------------
If you buy for a non-value reason, you will end up selling for a non-value reason.

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2007 at 11:32am
Positive:
- Company is targetting to garner 4% market share of global wine market by 2010.
- Only 545410 shares are held by the public.
- My sense is that CIL will do a turnover of Rs.600 crs by 2010.

Disclosure: I took a small exposure @ 649(incl.brokerage) yesterday so that i can gain some knowledge on wines.

DNA Life report on " http://epaper.dnaindia.com/transferpage.aspx?queryed=14&parentid=14 - How to Drink Wine at Home " Good awareness on Wine.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2007 at 11:47am
Disclosure: I took a small exposure @ 649(incl.brokerage) yesterday so that i can gain some knowledge on wines.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Is one legally allowed to do such things before reaching 21?Wink

Manish Kayal...please keep a close watch on him.Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Aug/2007 at 11:48am
number one may be tough to acheive number two maybe all stocks may just get cheaper inspite of business as usual at india inc

-------------
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things

Date Posted: 12/Aug/2007 at 2:44pm
Today's TOI Pune edition has this news....

PUNE: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Cities/Pune/Pune_goes_high_with_wine/articleshow/2274663.cms - , compared to the corresponding period last year.

The state excise department reported a sale of 90,000 litres of wine between April and July this year (2007-08), as against 55,000 litres in the corresponding quarter of 2006-07.

Apart from providing a telling indication of the changing lifestyle in the city, the growth comes at a time when the state home department issued a resolution recently facilitating establishment of exclusive wine bars across the state.

Effectively, wine consumption is expected to touch a new high by the end of this financial year. A majority of the 40-odd wineries in the state are located in Nashik, Sangli and Pune districts. "Pune district alone has 11 wineries," said Vijay Chinchalkar, superintendent of state excise department, Pune.

As of now, the district has only one exclusive wine bar 'Athena' at Narayangaon, but more are expected to come up considering that the department had received letters of intent from prospective wine bar promoters, he said.

The economic boom as manifested in the growing number of infotech (IT) companies and the advent of global players in IT, automotive and other spheres of industry, is seen as the key driver of changing lifestyle. This further reflects in the rising public consciousness towards wine and its consumption.

The state's approach to promote wineries as a means of alternative income for grape cultivators has only contributed to the growth. "A total excise waiver, i.e. zero per cent tax, is in effect for units producing wine in Maharashtra," Chinchalkar said. Although, the benefit is not available to wine coming into the state from other states or abroad.

According to sources, the home department resolution makes it easier for prospective wine bar promoters to secure an exclusive licence without having to bother about the earlier mandatory requirement of having an eatery or restaurant licence. The wine bar licence fee is yet to be decided. A minimum of 160 sq.ft. space, besides sufficient storage facility is all that is now required for setting up a wine bar.

-------------

Posted By: s_praharaj
Date Posted: 12/Aug/2007 at 9:47pm

Though I am a teetotaller, I have seen in most of the five star hotels of Mumbai "Riveria" brand of Red wine and white wine is served. Seeing the popularity of the Brand and support given by the Govt, the stock seems to have potential. The debt:equity is 4:1, which is a slight disturbing. The company have allotted warrants recently to Mr Shivanad Manekkar at 325.00 recently.

-------------
Shashi Praharaj

Date Posted: 12/Aug/2007 at 10:44pm

Wine makers look to cash in on retail boom

Organised retailing is proving to be a boon for wine companies, with top players like Diageo, Champagne Indage and UB Group finalising tie-ups with retail majors for gaining ample space to display their products.

While Reliance Retail has entered into arrangements with Diageo, UB Group and Champagne Indage, other retailers like Shoprite and Future Group are also being approached by wine makers for similar pacts.

Industry players say a tie-up with big retailers will not only strengthen distribution network but also help in expanding the market by creating awareness of wine culture.

"By tying up with retail players we not only increase visibility of products but it will also help in creating awareness about wine-drinking in the country," Champagne Indage managing director Ranjit Chougule said.

He said in traditional wine shops, the average space given to wine segment is about 5-10 per cent and that too is shared between five to six players.

Echoing similar views, Diageo India managing director Asif Adil said: "Tie-up with retail players will give better results as it will synergies strengths of the two sectors."

Diageo-Radico chief executive Raju Vaziraney said the biggest advantage of selling wine through retail players is that it would help in getting proper display of products.

He, however, said there would not be a major increase in revenues from selling wine through organised retail. Moreover, wine makers are not yet replacing their existing distribution networks.

"Retail chains will give us the added advantage but will not act as alternative to the present selling pattern in the country," Vaziraney said.

Source : ET

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Aug/2007 at 11:02pm
Professor also has bought a stake in Radico.

Radico tied up with Diageo few months ago. Are they a big player in wine sector?

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Aug/2007 at 10:24am

In Today's Mint,

http://www.livemint.com/2007/08/12173322/The-traditional-whiskeydrinke.html?atype=tp - Traditional Whiskey drinker develops a taste for fine wine

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Aug/2007 at 10:36am

Thanks for all those posts Devesh. Understanding the industry dynamics is more important then looking at the PE/EPS etc.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Aug/2007 at 1:05pm
Understanding the industry dynamics is more important ..

-------------------

Absolutely!

As Pabrai says, "We are in the business where all the knowldge is cumulative".

This learning, reading, understanding, researching, and sharing definitely would help in a big way....especially to younger members like Devesh who have bright future ahead of them.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Aug/2007 at 2:11pm
yes diageo has a wine portfolio and infact they have tied up with reliance fresh to mkt their products whereas ub group and cil are taliking to future group

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Aug/2007 at 12:13pm

Champagne Indage is seeking to expand its operation in overseas market through acquisitions and contract manufacturing. The company is opting for contractual bottling agreement with local players for entering the UK and the US wine markets. " In the US, we are going to sign the contractual agreement for the bottling of over half a million cases and in UK for 6.5 lakh cases.," Ranjit Chougule said. The company is going to sign the agreement with wines manufacturer and is also entering into agreement with US based retailer Costco to sell its brand all across the US market. Speaking about the company's plan in US, Mr.Chougule said, "US is the biggest wine market in the world and entry would provide an oppurtunity to establish firmly in global arena." (ET)

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Aug/2007 at 12:33pm
In a totally unrelated development.....here's some interesting news:
http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/07/technology/wine_marketing.biz2/index.htm?postversion=2007080807 - How a small winery found Internet fame

A small South African winery is using conversational marketing to go global

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/07/technology/wine_marketing.biz2/index.htm?postversion=2007080807 - CNN Money

Could someone forward this idea to Chougules of Champagne Indage?

-------------

Date Posted: 14/Aug/2007 at 12:10pm

Here's the Maharashtra government's novel idea to promote grape cultivation in the state — exclusive wine bars.
It has issued a notification incorporating major changes in the Bombay Prohibition Act that lays down rules for sale and consumption of all alcoholic beverages. Currently, liquor licences are given only to hotels and restaurants where food is served. But as per the amended rules, wine bars will not have to fulfil any such condition.

"The amendment will permit setting up of wine bars," a home department spokesperson told ET. The caveat, however, is that these bars can sell wine made only in Maharashtra from grapes grown in the state. "The amendment is aimed at helping local grape cultivators and wineries," said the official.

Such wine bars will not have the permission to serve any liquor except wine. Under the new policy, any shop can get a licence to open a wine bar for an annual fee of Rs 5,500. But the fee for this in Mumbai will be much higher — Rs 37,500 — but will be cheaper in the suburbs and other adjoining areas, including Thane and Navi Mumbai. The rules also stipulate that the bars need to have a minimum carpet area of 160 sq ft and should not face the road.

A fledgling wine industry has been lobbying hard for such an arrangement, but the state government was unsure of the political fallout. In the past, the government had to abort its plan after it was criticised for encouraging "wine culture". On the other hand, the state government went ahead to announce various sops, including excise holiday till 2011 for wine makers. It also unveiled a grape processing industrial policy with incentives like sales tax concessions, simplified processes and procedures, fixed licence fees for 10 years and creation of a wine institute and a grape board for quality control, certification and export promotion.

The state, incidentally, has two of the country's biggest grape-producing districts, Nasik and Sangli. Nearly 20,000 hectares of vineyards in these two districts alone grow more than one lakh tonne of grapes every year. Though the state has half a dozen wineries, the production of its wine-quality grapes is at around 5% of the total produce with most farmers growing the table variety. Some concerted efforts, of late, have seen a gradual increase in the production of wine-quality grapes. "The recent changes will help the nascent wine industry grow faster," the official said.

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Aug/2007 at 12:07pm

I have increased my exposure to CIL. Now my avg.price comes down to Rs.623. My target price is Rs.1050 (conservative 35 EPS*30 PE)

-------------

Date Posted: 20/Aug/2007 at 10:44pm

Check out the Review of IVY Wine bars and photos

http://www.citipals.com/l_13721_ivy-worli-mumbai_bg:1_sl:15019#bizimages - http://www.citipals.com/l_13721_ivy-worli-mumbai_bg:1_sl:15019#bizimages

-------------

Date Posted: 24/Aug/2007 at 11:34am
The Indian wine market, which is growing at a rate of 22 per cent per annum, is likely to touch nine million litres by 2010, on increased consumption due to rising income level, industry body Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (Assocham) said.

"Various factor such as large teeming population under 30-year fold, rising disposable income and the influence of western world are responsible for increasing consumption of wines in the country," Assocham President Venugopal N Dhoot said in a release.

Major cities in the country such as New Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Pune and Bangalore together accounts for nearly 80 per cent of the demand for wine in the country, the chamber said.

Western India is the biggest consumer of wine accounting for more than 41 per cent of the total domestic wine market in the country followed by north India at 29 per cent.

Five star hotels, pubs and bar-cum-restaurants are the primary wine selling outlets in the country as 63 per cent of the sales volume passes through channels, the chamber said.

-------------

Date Posted: 25/Aug/2007 at 9:04pm

''India's wine market is currently equivalent to around 200 people, sharing one bottle but it is likely to grow at projected CAGR of 22 per cent over the next three years in view of rising consumption of wine patterns not only among youngsters but equally so in aged group,'' Chamber President Venugopal N Dhoot said.

The cost for opening and setting up a wine plant in the country with capacity of around a lakh litres comes only to somewhere between the Rs 1-1.5 crore mark. As a result many entrepreneurs, Indian and foreign, are jumping on the Indian wine bandwagon.

Source: http://sify.com/finance/fullstory.php?id=14516598 - Dna money/Sify

-------------

Date Posted: 26/Aug/2007 at 10:46am

Interesting piece of article http://business.scotsman.com/agriculture.cfm?id=1355392007 - http://business.scotsman.com/agriculture.cfm?id=1355392007

"Ranjit Chougule, managing director of Indage vineyards, the maker of the dry, sparkling blend Omar Khayam, said he hoped his wines, which sell for between Ł6 and Ł11, would compete with the best of California and France."

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Aug/2007 at 3:40pm
tough ask    see our weather is not ideally suited for grape cultivation our weather and geography will at the most produce an average grape which is ok for for the first time drinker of wine or a newbie. but french , italian, aussie and californian will continue to rule the world.

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Aug/2007 at 3:45pm
Very interesting point. Does thgis mean that Champagne Indage will always find it difficult to keep up to the quality of its global peers?

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Aug/2007 at 4:58pm
YES, correct me if im wrong but i wineyard does require the correct amount of rainfall, the right amount of humidity,the right amount of frost,and the right chemical compostion of the soil all put together produces a great grape.the slopes of maharashtra and near blore simply cannot be compared to lets say thehunter valley in aussie, napa , in calif,bordaux in france,and the southern alps in italy.that is exactly whyduring the wto rounds they are all after kamal naths blood to drastically reduce import tarrrifs on wine so that they can flood our mkt with their cheap as well as good qlty wine.home grown cos will need to tie up.

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Aug/2007 at 12:20pm
CIL has made an acquisition in Australia and is on the look-out for more...Also, CIL has won http://www.vyaparltd.com/Chateau-Indage-about.htm - many awards , the fact that its wines are as good as firangis...
"Our brands have won over 36 international awards and commendations across various competitions like The International Wine and Spirit Competition, Decanter World Wine Awards, Florida International Wine Challenge, Indy International Wine Competition & Wine Style Asia Awards."

I will hold on to the stock till 2010 no matter how many people criticise. Smile

-------------

Posted By: Mr. V
Date Posted: 27/Aug/2007 at 12:33pm
CIL is also looking at acquiring wineries in South Africa and France.
Infact, it is at an advanced stage at acquiring the French winery.

The South African wine industry is currently going through a tough phase and CIL might be able to buy them at bargain price.

Date Posted: 27/Aug/2007 at 12:34pm
Devesh

Thought about some hedging strategies to limit your risks?

SmartCat's hedging concept on Crude Oil is too good. Perhaps he could advise you on this one as well!!!Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Aug/2007 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by tigershark

tough ask    see our weather is not ideally suited for grape cultivation our weather and geography will at the most produce an average grape which is ok for for the first time drinker of wine or a newbie. but french , italian, aussie and californian will continue to rule the world.

This from my earlier post , excerpt of SSKI Report. Tropical wines
can create their own flavour and niche.

“TROPICAL WINESFROM INDIA: A LONG-TERM OPPORTUNITY

Besides a huge latent domestic market, there is a window of opportunity for

domestic wine producers to create a unique niche or “position” for Indian wines inthe international market. Given India’s tropical climate, the sunshine factor impartsa unique flavour to the grape grown and wines produced here vis-ŕ-vis those by theworld’s two principal wine producing blocks – the “Old World” and the “NewWorld”. Other than India, only Brazil – which has recently started wine production– boasts of a tropical climate. This offers an opportunity to the domestic producersto create a separate niche or “position” for Indian wines in the international market– that of “Tropical Wines”. However, given that the domestic market is big enoughto absorb even the ramped up supplies in the coming period, we see this as a longtermstory for the domestic industry with a perspective of 5-7 years.

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Aug/2007 at 9:28am
Wine grapes have extra copies of genes that confer flavour and aroma, as well as extra DNA coding for a health-giving compound, researchers reported on Sunday. The genome, or entire genetic map, of the grapevine sequenced by a collaboration of French and Italian scientists, shows the handiwork of master wine growers going back to the Stone Age.

Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Wine_grapes_have_genes_of_flavour/articleshow/2316463.cms - ET news

-------------

Posted By: us121
Date Posted: 27/Aug/2007 at 10:32am
Originally posted by basant

Very interesting point. Does thgis mean that Champagne Indage will always find it difficult to keep up to the quality of its global peers?

May be appropriate to quote Warren here:

May be grapes from a little eight- acre vineyard in France are really the best in the whole world,

but I have always had a suspicion that

about 99% of it is in the teling and about 1% is in the drinking.

(kulmanji: ab hame bhi lal hara karna aa gaya!!!!!!!!)

-------------
ABILITY will get u at d top. CHARACTER will retain u at d top

Posted By: catchsudipto
Date Posted: 27/Aug/2007 at 11:24am
I will hold on to the stock till 2010 no matter how many people criticise
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi devesh,

I liked that. Keep the tempo up, and if u are totally convinced sit tight till 2010. Wish u best of luck.

-------------
Make your Life as simple as possible.

Date Posted: 28/Aug/2007 at 12:30pm
If things go bad, the only strategy I can think of is wine peeke tunn ho jaana! But here at TED, only teetotallers and non-smokers seem to be investing in liquor and tobacco stocks.

Date Posted: 28/Aug/2007 at 12:56pm
(kulmanji: ab hame bhi lal hara karna aa gaya!!!!!!!!)

-------------------------------

Big%20smile ha ha ha....! Us121....accepted, appreciated and agreed.

-------------

Date Posted: 28/Aug/2007 at 5:53pm
Frankly speaking I saw a value in doing so.
Such small learning makes a great difference.

Thanks, Ab Guru Dakshina deni rahi...
Kulmanji, i will have to bid for lunch/ dinner with u.........

-------------

Date Posted: 28/Aug/2007 at 6:07pm
Bad move. I once offered Guru Dakshina to Kulman Sir and he wanted nothing less than my ungli.

Date Posted: 28/Aug/2007 at 6:15pm
And now he is wise enough as he got nothing......

-------------

Date Posted: 28/Aug/2007 at 6:28pm
LOL ha ha ha LOL 

SmartCat & Us121.....kyon mera mazaak uda rahe ho? Mere saath khana khane ke liye agar Auction hoga to muzhe hi bidding karna padega!!

By the way, there was a strong rumour in Bengaluru that SmartCat didn't venture out of his home today due to fear of Raksha Bandhan. He seems to be suffering from Rakhiphobia.

-------------

Date Posted: 28/Aug/2007 at 6:36pm

Thanks for the heads-up. I was wondering why women were chasing me today (for a change).

Date Posted: 29/Aug/2007 at 9:19pm
Champagne Indage : Grapes of growth

After the takeover of Australia's Thachi Wines for Rs.49.5 crocre CIL is now setting sail for other shores. Australian Wines are the largest selling in the UK, constituing 36 percent of the country's 120 million cases a year wine market, they make up a 29 percent of the 350 million cases a year market in the US.With an annual production of 27 million litres, Thachi is the seventh largest in Australia and also three times the size of CIL.The buyout was also necessitated due to difficulty in increasing acreage in India, thanks to farmland acquisitions becoming hot political controversies. The company is setting its sights on acquiring wineries in Califronia, Spain,Italy, SouthAfrica and France. Exploratory discussions are on with wine makers in South Africa and also in France,s Burgundy and Provence regions.CIL is also looking at assets in Chile and Argentina. CIL is also in talks with a leading European spirits manufacturer for a lock-stock barrel pruchase of a soon-to-be launched brand.

CIL is also looking to strengthen its presence in the non-alcoholic beverages segment. While it is already retailing fruit juices under the Seabuckthorn range, the year-end will sww CIL getting into the mineral water and energy drinks segments.

Source: Business Today

-------------

Date Posted: 31/Aug/2007 at 1:43pm
Apparently, Little Tibet "Leh" people are asking for withdrawing of the name 'Leh' from the brand "Leh Berry' of Seabuckthorn Indage, since they argue that none of the materials used in this juice product,comes from LEH.

Seabuckthorn juice is a 3000 crore market in the China.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/Sep/2007 at 10:13pm
the year-end will see CIL getting into the mineral water
--------------------------------------------------------------
They have already commenced the business of mineral water.The following is the article i got.
--------------
Leh Berry Minerals aims to get a 5 per cent share by the year-end in the Rs 100-crore mineral water market. The company will initially market the water in the country and begin its exports next year.

This was stated by M.S. Dhanota, president and COO of Seabuckthorn Indage Ltd, after the launch of Mountain Spring — the natural mineral water made by the company. "The total bottled water industry in the country is worth Rs 1000 crore, of which 10 per cent is the mineral water industry. By the end of this year, we hope to capture a 5 per cent share in the market," he said.

Leh Berry Minerals , has also signed agreements to set up offices in the UK and Dubai. "We will also be expanding our manufacturing facilities in Bhutan, Nepal and Sri Lanka," he said.

The company has set up a manufacturing facility at Paonta Sahib in Himachal Pradesh with an investment of Rs 3.50 crore and has a capacity of 1 lakh litres of mineral water per day.

Dhanota also said they were planning to have 14,000 outlets for selling mineral water this year. As part of their distribution network expansion, the company has tied up for co branding with Café Coffee Day, which has given them access to 1,200 outlets across the country.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/Sep/2007 at 10:46pm
FACT # 1:
Wine is low-alcohol
Yes, a regular glass of wine (150 ml) has less alcohol than a large peg of spirits or a bottle of even mild beer — most wines available today have a strength of 12.5-14 per cent alcohol by volume, and it’s a simple exercise to check the absolute alcohol of wine versus spirits (43 per cent strength) or beer (3.5 per cent for regular lagers, going up to 7 per cent for strong beers.

It’s also a fact that wines are easier to drink than either spirits or beer: spirits, unless they are high-quality, will have various impurities that will give you a hangover the next morning, while beer tends to bloat the imbiber (or induce a lamentable tendency to run to the washroom!).

FACT # 2:
Wine is Good for Health
Indian ayurveda has known of the curative properties of grapes (“munacca”) for centuries, and wines form an important portion of many ayurvedic preparations. Of late, Western scientists have documented what we Indians always knew: that wine, and red wines in particular, are a source of certain natural chemicals (reservatol, catechins) that are anti-oxidants and have anti-cancer properties (check out http://www.medecinenet.com - http://www.medecinenet.com

No, guzzling a bottle of the local plonk daily isn’t going to keep the doctor away, but a couple of glasses with your meals will certainly help keep you both happy and healthy.

FACT # 3:
Wine is “farmer-friendly”
It’s a known fact that grape vines will thrive on land that is quite unsuitable for cultivating food crops: the land may be sloping upto 15 degrees, the soil may be poor, even stony, the rainfall marginal — vitis vinifera (the genus for wine grapes) can produce grapes almost anywhere, and is known to be able to produce better grapes the harsher the climate and soil. (BS)

-------------

Posted By: India_Bull
Date Posted: 01/Sep/2007 at 12:30pm
Excellent Views Deveshjee,

Other common fact is that you cant enjoy/drink unless you have the proper wine bottle opener !!

Just curious what is the price range in which red and white wine is sold in India ?

-------------
India_Bull forever Bull !
www.kapilcomedynights.com

Date Posted: 02/Sep/2007 at 5:36pm
indian wines go for 350-450 rupees.foreign wines from 700- 1500 rupees.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Sep/2007 at 11:48pm
Sharekhan on Champagne Indage

Sector re-rating to happen with entry of big players like United Spirits.

High growth traction and highly attractive valuations of 12x FY09E earnings. Reiterate Outperformer.

-------------

Posted By: luke123
Date Posted: 06/Sep/2007 at 5:37pm
I don't know too much about this company but I read something negative about how they were Capitalizing certain expenses which should have been operating expenses. They report correctly now but had they been reporting those as operating expenses earlier, they would have made loss and not profit. This was 4-5 months back I read in one of the Indian business magazines(don't remember which one). Though they may be doing things right now but bad habits die hard so one may have to look out for the quality of earnings.

I tried searching for the news on google and businessworld but couldn't.

Luke

Little else is requisite to carry a state to the highest degree of opulence from the lowest barbarism but peace, easy taxes, and a tolerable administration of justice: all the rest being brought about by the natural course of things--Adam Smith

Posted By: ganeshbhandary
Date Posted: 06/Sep/2007 at 11:14pm
i cannot belive this .i've baught this stock when it was ripe at Rs35 levels and sold at Rs180 levels.buying a fundamentally good stock and holding for long will definetly pay you for your patience.

Date Posted: 06/Sep/2007 at 11:23pm
Ganesh jee, you seem to have a knack for spotting multibaggers very early. Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Sep/2007 at 11:32pm
Thanks Mr. Luke for the information. I guess you may read in Outlook Business bcoz they have a small section where they report some or the other faults from the accounts of the listed company.

-------------

Posted By: kg
Date Posted: 08/Sep/2007 at 11:58pm
The man behind Sula Wines
By Sonam Vij
Published: August 31, 2007
http://www.pagalguy.com/plugins/p2_news/printarticle.php?p2_articleid=912 - http://www.pagalguy.com/index.php?categoryid=68&p2_articleid=912&p2_action=emailarticle - How feasible is starting an unconventional venture in India? Is making wine a promising business in India? In a conversation with PaGaLGuY.com Rajeev Samant, Founder and CEO of Sula Wines and a Stanford-trained engineer reveals what clicks with wine lovers, his entrepreneurial journey and the intricacies of venture funding in our series on entrepreneurs.

You were a successful software engineer in the USA with Oracle. What made you return to India and start a Wine company?

My father is a first-generation entrepreneur, and I too felt the need to start something of my own. There is a special, incomparable pride one takes in a self-started venture, a feeling of ownership that drives you to make it a success. I could have chosen a secure, cut-and-dry job where I knew what the next day would hold, but I was much more drawn to the road less travelled. Most of my friends were bankers, consultants or media people, and many thought I was crazy to be growing grapes and making wine. Still, I believed in what I was trying to do and did not let traditional expectations scare me off.

Could you narrate your entrepreneurial journey and what were the initial challenges you faced while starting Sula wines?

The journey has been challenging as well as incredibly rewarding. In the beginning, the wine business in India was not exactly open, and it was extremely difficult to get a license to start a winery. But Sula adopted the distinctly Californian philosophy of allowing the world to come in and take a look. That has led to an excellent atmosphere of co-operation between the Nasik wineries, many of which opened after Sula kicked off the 'wine revolution'. The wineries have now formed a strong association, and the wine industry has been growing at the rate of about 25-30 percent per annum. Sula has been growing even faster than that.

What does a wine producer need to do to brand and market wine in India?

Two things have to happen. The first is the market itself becomes ready at a certain point, which obviously helps a lot. The other thing is you have to educate a lot. You have to ensure a lot of positive media coverage. And then you have to go out and put your product in front of consumers and make them understand what it's all about. And in India that is very important because no one actually knows what wine is about. Huge numbers of tasting, sampling, make sure you are available at events and parties. You have to push the availability of wine, which was non-existent a few years ago. Sula has been to that extent fortunate in that we released our wine in 2000 when the country was just about to take off. And so we have grown along with the India boom.

When you received funding for the first time, how did you plan your spending?

Everything comes at a cost, so you have to try and give away as little as possible in terms of share of the company. Do not take more funds than required, take as much as you need or you might regret the decision in the future. However having said that, always think about working capital requirements, quite often entrepreneurs underestimate the amount of funds needed in that respect, as in they estimate the amount of money required to get things moving, what they do not see is, if the project gets delayed by even a few months, what is the working capital required to keep things ticking over and where you are going to get those funds from. So you have to keep this in consideration.

What kind of support have you received from the government so far? What more support and actions do you expect from the government towards the wine industry in India?

The Government has been great in that excise duty has been waved off on wine. That is the biggest step the Government has taken so far. One by one, other small steps are being taken. Of course, the recent freeing up of supermarkets to sell wine is a pretty big step.

As for the things we would like the Government to focus on; our industry is becoming more mature, and as it becomes more so, the basic requirement is infrastructure. What we are really keen to see right now is the four-lane highway from Bombay to Nashik. The Maharashtra government has been talking about the Bombay-Pune-Nashik industrial corridor but let's face it, Nashik has been neglected. Nashik is the future of Indian wine and we need good infrastructure.

We need improved roads and a better power situation. Right now, in fact, our agriculture subsidy is negative. Somebody had promised us free power, which we had not asked for. Next thing we know, we are not getting any power at all because if it is free, they just turn off the switch and leave us to our own devices. So we have to use expensive diesel to power generators in our vineyards and all growers have to do the same. We have about 200 acres of vineyards and if you are to irrigate those on a diesel generator, that is a lot of diesel you are looking at. Definitely we are at a big disadvantage when you compare us to growers in other countries, where they have cheap and plentiful power.

How do you recommend people to nurture their interest in wine?

We have seen that if the customer likes a particular product, he usually follows the product and waits for the new vintage to arrive, then tastes it. If he finds it good he recommends it to his friends. For this reason we have opened the new tasting room at the winery so people could come see our process, taste the latest products and also purchase any if they want from there itself.

What do you see as the total wine market in India? Do you think Indian consumers are price sensitive towards products like wine?

You get this question from both sides. You get asked why wine is so expensive here when you can buy a fairly decent bottle for three Euros in Europe. For me, it is very important that wine should be accessible. I am not interested in targeting my wine at an elite audience. Sure, there are those wines in our portfolio that do cater to that as well. For example, the Dindori Reserve Shiraz is an important example because the amount of work we put into that wine. As a result we have to price it higher than any other Indian wine has ever been priced before, and appreciably higher. That too has its list of regular clientele. We are selling out of that vintage year after year even though it is at Rs 600 plus a bottle. What I want to do is reach the broadest audience possible. So we have wines like our Chenin Blanc, which is at Rs 350, which is accessible to many people.

What is your take on the Indian entrepreneurial scene? How are Indian entrepreneurs different from the hotbed of entrepreneurship in the Bay area?

The bay area has a highly institutionalized structure for entrepreneurs. There is so much backing available, so much advice easily accessible. There is an extremely strong network. That is not the case here in India, however things are improving, and the gap is closing fast. Now the accessibility that an entrepreneur with a good background and a good project has here is a hell of a lot better than I had 10 years ago.

What does it take to be an entrepreneur?

Being an entrepreneur means accepting the inherent risks present in a new venture and going ahead full-force anyway. It’s about having confidence in oneself and a strength of spirit to pull you through difficult times when it would be tempting for most to just throw in the towel and walk away.

Courtesy : pagalguy.com

-------------
Lets rock

Date Posted: 09/Sep/2007 at 6:52pm
Targeting a Rs 300-crore turnover by the end of the fiscal, the country’s largest wine maker Champagne Indage has decided to revamp its distribution network and is planning to open 2,500 more exclusive outlets.

Champagne Indage Managing Director Ranjit Chougule told PTI that the company, which runs exclusive outlets under the brand ‘IVY bars,´ is close to opening 1,000 more such shops this fiscal.

“We have plans to open more than 1,000 IVY bars across the country but looking at the response, we are planning to increase it to more than 2,500 bars across the country,” he added.

Besides exclusive outlets, the company plans to enhance its presence through other retail channels.

Our wines are available in 14,500 outlets across the country. By the end of this fiscal it will be available in more than 17,500 outlets,” said Chougule.

Chougule said the company is not only looking at high priced wines but also cheaper ones as part of promoting wine culture in India.

“We have introduced a brand Vino which is priced at Rs 99 only. Thus, we are trying to bring the cost of wine to the level of beer,” he added.
Source: PTI
-------------------------------------------------
From Rs.143 crs to 300 crs, thats more than 100% growth.......as i said earlier. Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: 09/Sep/2007 at 7:54am
Thanks to this thread...one is getting to learn a bit about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oenology - Oenology

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Sep/2007 at 12:54pm
I would strongly recommend the Oscar winning Hollywood movie (comedy) called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sideways - Sideways . You will learn a lot about wine-tasting and wine-tourism.

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2007 at 5:19pm
There's another company listed by the same promoters---Champagne Vineyards. Any idea why that one is a laggard?

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Sep/2007 at 5:42pm

Vineyard produces a 'commodity'. Indage makes 'brands'. Possibly because of that?

Date Posted: 18/Sep/2007 at 2:28pm
From cookies to red wine, the rising economies of India and China are feasting on Australian fine food and wine. Food and beverages exports to India rose from A$115 million in 1997-98 to A$201 million in 2006-07.

Federal Minister for Trade Warren Truss said: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News_by_Industry/Australian_food_and_wine_becoming_popular_with_Indians/articleshow/2379234.cms - "The Australian wine industry wants to turn the micro wine market in India into a mass market. For example, South Australia's Bleasdale Wines has reportedly predicted that India will one day be its largest wine market."

-------------

Date Posted: 29/Sep/2007 at 2:19pm
Management expects an FY09 EPS  Rs.40 -50. That turns out into CAGR of 50. Unhappy I was expecting a CAGR of 70.

-------------

Posted By: CHINKI
Date Posted: 02/Oct/2007 at 6:28pm
Good article in ET about the Wine Industry : http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News_By_Industry/Cons_Products/How_the_country_of_brown_spirits_took_to_drinking_wine/articleshow/2421305.cms -

Date Posted: 05/Oct/2007 at 12:53pm
From Annual Report,

"To the request of shareholders, a visit to Company's winery at Narayangaon was arranged on 18th March,2007. The shareholders enjoyed the visit and gave valuable suggestions to make such events more delightful in future."
-----------------------------------
So no need to watch any movies...have a first hand experience !!

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Oct/2007 at 5:09pm
Devesh, if proxies are allowed for such visits....I shall go on your behalf!

-------------

Posted By: johnnybravo
Date Posted: 05/Oct/2007 at 5:14pm
I think they also allow general public visits to the wineries. Not only that they also ask visitors to sample products and give opinions....Kulmanji kaab chalte hai boolo???

Date Posted: 05/Oct/2007 at 5:34pm
Any weekend is okay....let me know couple of days in advance.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Oct/2007 at 5:34pm
Oh! I should have bought one share at least.    

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Oct/2007 at 5:44pm
LOL ha ha ....sahi baat hain!!

Main bhi wohich soch raha hoon!!!Wink

-------------

Posted By: Mohan
Date Posted: 06/Oct/2007 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by deveshkayal

Management expects an FY09 EPS  Rs.40 -50. That turns out into CAGR of 50. Unhappy I was expecting a CAGR of 70.

Es baat pe thodi si wine ho jaye ?
Khushi ho ya gam ?
Piyo Champagne ke naam !!!Wink

-------------
Be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful.

Posted By: omshivaya
Date Posted: 06/Oct/2007 at 11:15pm
Wah Wah! Hic Hic Hic!

-------------
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it

Posted By: kg
Date Posted: 06/Oct/2007 at 11:48pm

hi devesh , any idea when the next round of trip is being organised ...being in mumbai if i miss this it wd be a crime ...

-------------
Lets rock

Date Posted: 07/Oct/2007 at 5:15pm
Visit indagegroup.com Click Contack Us and ask the company official.

It seems to me Arun Shah is a good friend of Prof.Mankekar as the former is a director of Asian Electronics and the latter holds both the company's shares.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Oct/2007 at 11:37am
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2007/10/09/stories/2007100950140800.htm - Wine adds fizz to Maharashtra 's economy

"In France and Italy, per capita consumption is 60-70 litres a year, in the US it is 25 litres and China four litres, while that in India is literally a sip of nine to 10 ml. A MIDC report clearly points out that there is still huge potential for the wine industry in the domestic market itself. “The wine industry in India is in its nascent stages now and it is necessary to follow quality parameters, which will go a long way in making Indian wines a (popular) brand in the international market"

-------------

Posted By: nil_money
Date Posted: 09/Oct/2007 at 6:45pm
Indian Wine Market – Overview

The Indian alcoholic beverages market is gradually opening up as quantitative restrictions are being lifted, import duties are being lowered and domestic regulations are being simplified. These developments are attracting the attention of foreign players, who are faced with a slowdown in developed markets. According to some recent reports, by 2005, the total supply of liquor in the world will be close to 282 million hl. But consumption will be only about 198 million hl. In such a scenario, India would be an attractive market for foreign players.

An estimated 10 million people consume alcohol in India, out of a population of about 1.2 billion. The liquor industry in India is highly government regulated in terms of constraints on manufacturing, storage as well as distribution. The industry faces threat of prohibition in several states, high taxes, restrictions on advertising, restrictions on inter-state movement, etc. However, the deep-rooted social conditioning against alcohol consumption is gradually starting to change. Consumer attitudes are relaxing as people are exposed to the Western lifestyle through the media and overseas travel. The per capital consumption of liquor in India averages 0.2 litres per annum. It has remained constant throughout the 1990s, while the consumption of beer has risen steadily since 1988 to about 0.8 litres per person per annum.

Alcohol is a broad term that covers three categories: spirits, beer and wine. Spirits include whisky, rum, vodka, brandy and gin. India imports around 3 million liters of spirit and 7500 cases of wine from Europe. French wines are still the largest imported, but wines from Australia and California are making strong inroads.

The wine market is growing at 25-30 per cent a year, nearly three times as fast as beer, whisky or rum, which together makes up 45 per cent of the total. Exports currently make up about 10-15 per cent of total output. The perception of wines as being up-market and sophisticated is helping in bringing about this change. One sign of the changes happening is the emergence of Wine Clubs in a number of cities. The per capita consumption in India is only 0.07 liter/person/year.

Up to 80% of wine is consumed in the major Indian cities. The consumption pattern is, Mumbai (39%), Delhi (23%), Bangalore (9%) and the foreign tourist dominated state of Goa (9%), where as Rest of India has only 20% consumption. Not only has the number of imported wines increased exponentially, the Indian producers, too, have introduced a number of new labels and wine styles. Approximately 38 wineries are presently operating in the country with a total production of 6.2 million liters annually.

Maharashtra is leading among the states with 36 wineries and 5.4 million liter production. Apart from this, 72,000 wine cases are imported mainly by ITDC, Sansula, Brindco, E & J Gallo and other private companies.

Wine Production In India:

India has about 123,000 acres of vineyards, but only one per cent of this acreage is used for wine. Only three wine companies are currently producing wines in India namely:

• Chateau Indage Limited, Pune
  • Grover Vineyards Limited, Bangalore
  • Sula Wineyards, Nasik.

The overall production of these units is approximately 150,000 cases (Each case is of 12 bottles). In addition, they also import about 20,000 cases of wines in bulk and bottle them in their plants. About 100,000 cases of inferior quality wine is produced by small local winemakers which is called 'pot wine'.

Domestic Consumption Of Wines:

The overall consumption of wines in India is about 400,000 cases a year of which 85 per cent are table wines and the remaining are the expensive varieties. Out of the 400,000 cases, about 50,000 cases are imported from various sources. The trend in consumption of wines is steadily increasing. Today, the consumption per head is roughly 0.0030 litre per annum. The day it becomes one litre, the market will become over a billion litres or over 111 million cases. Eighty percent of wine consumption in the country is confined in major cities such as Mumbai (39%), Delhi (23%), Bangalore (9%) and Goa (9%). There is growing awareness about the wine as a product in the domestic market.

Both the Indian wine market and the indigenous wine industry are in their nascent stages, but growing by leaps and bounds. Fifteen years ago there was no locally made wine that was drinkable. Now there are three significant wine makers, all family-owned businesses, the Chougules, the Grovers and the Samants. There is also great interest in wine makers from France, Italy, Australia, South Africa, America, and Chile to enter the Indian market.

Opportunities For Imported Wines in India:

• Booming Economy: Sensex touched 11,000 pts. Increase of 3,500 pts. during last 2 years.
  • Italian Cuisine No. 3 in popularity.
  • Wine consumption growing at 30% every year. 2006-07 expected at 40% growth.
  • More people shifting from Spirits to Wines. Spirits growth only by 10%.
  • Ladies & youth: big factors.
  • Current market: 74 million people.
  • Expected to grow to 100 million people in next 5 yrs
  • India's wine market at 5 million euros, makes up less than 1 % of India's 1.3 billion euros alcobev market
  • Duty Free Licenses to Hotels & restaurants
  • Up market bars, eateries & Retail Shops; in past stocked few brands have started keeping up to 200 wines on the list
  • Wine consumption in India will grow 10-fold in 10 years
  • Wine growth 3 times faster than spirits & Beers
  • India consumes about 8 million bottles of wine every year. Of these, 1.2 million are imported.
  • With 8 million bottles sold a year, its annual consumption is .008 bottles a head against a world average of 5 bottles.
  • As for importing, India currently brings in 1,25,000 wine cases a year -accounting for a mere 4.5 milliliters of per capita consumption of the billion-plus population.

The Government of Maharashtra has nominated Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC) as a nodal agency for establishment of grape wine parks in the state and would coordinate efforts of various organizations from central and state agencies and the stake holders such as farmers, processors, service providers etc. Under this policy two wine parks have been established by MIDC, one Godawari Wine Park at Vinchur, Nashik District and Krishna Wine Park at Palus, Sangli district. In addition a Grape Processing and Research Institute (GPRI) at Palus under the Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University has also been established.

SUPPLY CHAIN

For imported wine segment the distribution involves importers, distributors & retailers. The enclosed distribution chain will put more light on the levels and cost implications at various stages:

Movement of stocks and process involved:

Step 1: Winery
Step 2: Customs bonded warehouse
Step 2: Distributors / Wholesalers
Step 3: Retailers/Hotels/Restaurants

Poor storage and transport facilities inspite of tropical climate are the main problems of wine marketing in the country. Other constraints are the lack of promotional activities for wine consumption in the country and unfavorable rules for domestic marketing of wines except in few states. These and other factors contributed to India’s low wine consumption. Certain promotional strategies, such as easing of tariff barriers for the wines, developing awareness on health benefits of wine and to supply good quality wines in reasonable prices in the domestic market are emphasized.

Conclusion:

Impediments remain for international winemakers, not least the high import duties of up to 260% currently levied on wine. Companies seeking to enter the Indian wine market should equally be aware of the regional nature of Indian wine consumption. Major cities like Mumbai, Delhi and Bangalore should be the primary targets, as they account for almost 80% of the country's total wine consumption. The soaring popularity of imported brands which, sell at much higher prices than domestic varieties, offer international companies great opportunities for strong value growth.

Taxation on Imported Wine in India:

CIF VALUE (€ /CASE) < 19 Euros BET 19-30 Euros > 30 Euros
Basic customs duty 100% 100% 100%
Additional duty 75% 50% 20%
Educational Cess 2% 2% 2%
Higher Edu.Cess 1% 1% 1%
Spl. Additional duty 4% 4% 4%
Total duty 271% 218% 153%

Courtesy: Indo-Italian Chamber of Commerce and Industry

Indiabiznews, October 8, 2007

-------------
Thanks,
Nilesh

Date Posted: 19/Oct/2007 at 7:37pm

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Latest_News/Grape_wine_industry_in_Nasik_on_rise_Sula_CEO/articleshow/2474308.cms - Grape wine industry in Nasik on rise: Sula CEO

The Maharashtra government's decision seven years back to encourage the grape wine industry in the state seems to have yielded results as the number of wineries here are on a rise, benefiting growers.

He said Sula Winery, started in 2000, near the city's Gangapur Dam, had the initial production capacity of 1.5 lakh litres per annum, which has now gone up to 50 lakh litres. The company also has an expansion plan of production of another 50 lakh litres in a year.

"We were crushing 200 tonnes of grapes at the beginning which has gone up to 2,600 tones and is expected to go further to 4,000 tonnes by next year, thus, facilitating good profits to grape growers.

Earlier, 200-300 acres of land in the state was under grape production, which has now gone up to 5,000 acres.

-------------

Date Posted: 19/Oct/2007 at 8:00pm
I received a Shareholder Discount coupon of Rs.50 along with dividends. See the benefits of being a shareholder is many !!!

-------------

Date Posted: 19/Oct/2007 at 8:05pm
Nice ploy by the promoters. When the shareholders are intoxicated, parameters like P/E, RoCE etc start looking very good.

Date Posted: 07/Nov/2007 at 6:58pm
Champagne Indage Ltd has informed that the Company is entering into an arrangement (through its Wholly owned subsidiary, Indage Holdings Ltd.) with a Swedish Company for acquisition of distillery assets, ownership / licensing of luxury vodka brands produced in Sweden and their distribution rights with an option to acquire equity upto 49% in the Swedish Company over a period of 3 years. The arrangement will increase Company's distribution bandwidth in the various global markets in the Vodka segment. The investment in the Swedish Company would be about USD 10 Million in the form of optionally convertible debt, working capital and funding for strengthening the marketing network of the Swedish Company. The detailed agreement is being finalized after the financial and legal due diligence.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/Nov/2007 at 7:01pm

Champagne Indage eyes winery in S Africa

“We are going to make our presence felt in the five continents of Asia, Australia, Africa, Europe and South America. We are also looking at wineries in Argentina and Chile for the purpose,” said Indage Group Chairman, S G Chougule. However, he refused to give any details.

The per capita wine consumption in India is a mere 10 ml as compared to 59 litres in France, 22 litres in Australia and 27 litres in a non-producing nation like the UK. The scope for the wine market in India is immense,” Chougule said.

However, for per capita consumption to increase to even a litre would require at least 3.75 lakh acres of cultivated land. The area under cultivation for wine grapes is less than 10,000 acres, he said.

The company is already exporting wine made from the Indian Baramati grape to countries abroad. It exports its products to 70 countries around the globe. (BS)

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Nov/2007 at 9:00pm
Q2 Results:

Diluted EPS: Rs 3.67 for Q2
                    Rs 5.55 for H1

PAT up by 84%
PBT up by 78%
Sales up by 35%

Overall Good results when compared to previous year.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window