Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Our stocks. Buy hold or sell - The help ourselves Board
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Our stocks. Buy hold or sell - The help ourselves Board
Message Icon Topic: "The Thoughtful Investor" by Basant Maheshwari Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 15 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 19/Jan/2014 at 11:30am
Originally posted by RahulB

Congrats Basant!You are not only a great investor but importantly an inspiring teacher. Many of us have benefited interacting with you and with this book your learning's will become timeless. Look forward to reading your book.

Its words like these that aspired me to write a book and share ALL my investing knowledge - whatever I have.

Originally posted by FutureBull

Great congratulations Basantji! looking forward to your book. I would love to have a signed copy your book.

Thank you.

Originally posted by photon

Basant Ji, I must say its a very interesting and comprehensive list of topics. I think it covers almost all the "best chapters" from the top 8-10 related books I have read !

I hope this become the authoritative textbook for investments in India !

Thanks, I can't boast about my book but I have designed this with a lot of thought and most of the ideas to set it up has originated from the near 9000 questions and answers at Basant'sCorner which has actually helped me understand the problems of investing.

Originally posted by tyasha

Congrats, Basanji and all the best for the success of the same. Request you to facilitate an on-line version sale as early as possible, so that the book is always available with me on my tab/kindle

We will certainly see to that.

Originally posted by LearningToFly

Basant Jee,
I feel extremely privileged to be associated with you and know you. Kudos and best wishes. I am sure this book will be the best seller.
I will not only buy this but suggest all B-schools where I go for visiting lecture.

Thank you for all that trust and faith.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
vishmitt
Groupie
Groupie

Quote vishmitt Replybullet Posted: 20/Jan/2014 at 12:34pm
Wow Basant, this really looks like a very comprehensive book. Kudos.

I am sure you would have covered it but just a small feedback.

- Attributes : Being a learning machine, being open minded, how to take cues from market environment

- How to do scuttlebutt, importance of it vz how much is already discounted

- Importance of tailwinds

- Lessons from big failures - price wise (investing in silverline vz infy) or time wise (investing in infy at peak)

- Study of failures (actual examples arshiya types)

- Some frauds like Satyam (can they be detected before hand or diversification is the only way out)

- Things to look at before investing in certain businesses (cement, hotel, sugar etc.), if at all

- Behaviour around Market Peaks and bottoms - own and general

- For a retail guy, with no time or aptitude for direct investing, how should he invest (MF, large cap secular stories etc.)

Look forward to reading this book ASAP !
I might/ might not be invested in the stocks discussed here.
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 20/Jan/2014 at 1:48pm
1. Covered, including the aspect of reading and not watching too much of TV!
2. Have discussed it and this extends to what competitors are saying about a stock includes examples like my talk with Pranoy Roy on the streets of Kolkata before I bought Tv18. I have also explained how I exited Zudus Wellness just before they started performing poorly in 2011 and the price even today is lower than that.
3. Its the most important but least discussed aspect of investing
4 and 5. Elaborately covered.
6. There is a chapter on looking at companies that cook books but most inferences are circumstantial only.
7. A lot of sectors are discussed to help an investor in his investment process.
8. Yes.
9. There is a complete chapter on this which advises investors not to be mcap focused as many are,

Originally posted by vishmitt

Wow Basant, this really looks like a very comprehensive book. Kudos.

I am sure you would have covered it but just a small feedback. Most

- 1 Attributes : Being a learning machine, being open minded, how to take cues from market environment

- 2 How to do scuttlebutt, importance of it vz how much is already discounted

- 3 Importance of tailwinds

- 4 Lessons from big failures - price wise (investing in silverline vz infy) or time wise (investing in infy at peak)

- 5 Study of failures (actual examples arshiya types)

- 6 Some frauds like Satyam (can they be detected before hand or diversification is the only way out)

- 7 Things to look at before investing in certain businesses (cement, hotel, sugar etc.), if at all

- 8 Behaviour around Market Peaks and bottoms - own and general

- 9 For a retail guy, with no time or aptitude for direct investing, how should he invest (MF, large cap secular stories etc.)

Look forward to reading this book ASAP !
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
fragile
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fragile Replybullet Posted: 20/Jan/2014 at 6:58pm
Dear Basant Sir,

Great News. Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge. Obviously this will be a classic. As far as India goes, isn't this a first of its kind? Many talk about the market give out articles et all, but writing a book, an India specific book on it when so many experts around haven't done so, needs tremendous self confidence to begin with. Truly proud to have had the opportunity to know you.

One suggestion though:
Given the target audience, I'd assume that most stock market investors (or atleast the ones that read books) probably are pretty good with computer usage. Given that ebooks allow easy search/indexing/highlighting... it becomes the naturally preffered platform. I just sort of feel adoption there will be higher.

(Besides you will also benefit through statistics collectable like: most  highlighted passage, most book marked pages et all. Can give you good insight into reader interest. Errata's will be easier to publish too).

Just can't wait for your ebook version.
IP IP Logged
snehaldani

Quote snehaldani Replybullet Posted: 20/Jan/2014 at 7:06pm
Happy to learn of the forthcoming Book !

Congratulations and Best Wishes !

Would certainly help investors across various thresholds of their Investing Career/ life....
Snehal P.Dani
IP IP Logged
bandlab1
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bandlab1 Replybullet Posted: 20/Jan/2014 at 9:12pm
cant wait for the book release. hopefully some tv channel (cnbc) will cover this news. it would be a great service to indian investor community if cnbc can cover this (the 24x7 noice can take a pause for few minutes)

even after the book, basant sir, i am assuming you will continue to share your wisdom with us.
IP IP Logged
Hrishi

Quote Hrishi Replybullet Posted: 21/Jan/2014 at 1:32pm
Congrats Basant Sir.

It is also amazing to see so many members back on forum and excited.

Hope once the book is out, we will have a new start on forum; the discussion around book and it's content and investing reach the levels we witnessed once on the forum.

IP IP Logged
podaraditya
Groupie
Groupie

Quote podaraditya Replybullet Posted: 21/Jan/2014 at 7:13pm
Congratulations ! The book will be extremely successful !

You are Basant, Buffett, Lynch & Livermore all rolled into one awesome package ! It is indeed an honour to learn from someone so passionate about equities. It is also a privilege to have known & learnt from you in such times of uncertainties.

You are almost like a stock that i dont want to tell anyone about ha ha...

Wishing you the best of luck always !
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 15 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version