Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Management Interactions, Company and AGM Visits
 The Equity Desk Forum :Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios! :Management Interactions, Company and AGM Visits
Message Icon Topic: "The Thoughtful Investor" by Basant Maheshwari Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 15 Next >>
shivkumar

Online Status: Offline
Quote shivkumar Replybullet Posted: 21/Apr/2014 at 11:25am
Thumbs%20Up
IP IP Logged
LearningToFly

Quote LearningToFly Replybullet Posted: 26/Apr/2014 at 7:19pm
I am sure this is going to happen very soon Sir. I have got the book. I read the "dedicated to" page where you mentioned about thinking big. This is amazing thought. I am sure I am about to read lot of things which would give me immense value throughout my life.

Originally posted by basant

Originally posted by shivkumar

What if the pirate jump in and start hawking the book at street corners for Rs 200?

That would be the final conclusive evidence that --- The Thoughtful Investor is a hit!
Success... at all cost.
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 26/Apr/2014 at 10:47pm
Thank you.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 27/Apr/2014 at 9:40am
Samir Arora of Helios Capital, Singapore, reviews The Thoughtful Investor

http://t.co/ZKinPbBQ9H
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
ashokpatil
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ashokpatil Replybullet Posted: 18/Sep/2014 at 10:06am
just comleted reading thoughtful investor. i think its best book on stock investment for indian investors. basanji is our desi peter lynch with consentrated portfolio. this is not flaterry just because i am a blogger here but really passion of auther, his deep
knoledge on the subject and willingness to share it with others is truelly remarkable. i have recomended
our KOLHAPUR INVESTOR ASSOTION and other friends to buy,
invest in this book which will suerlly give manyfold retuns.
congrates basantji
IP IP Logged
siloni
Groupie
Groupie

Quote siloni Replybullet Posted: 06/Oct/2014 at 7:57pm
gr8 book happy to read it
jbeh20032003
IP IP Logged
norvinm

Quote norvinm Replybullet Posted: 27/Nov/2014 at 5:05pm
I have just read the book and have mixed feelings about it.
The main takeaways seem to be that an investor should go for stocks in a secular industry. Was surprised to note that most of what are considered Bluechip stocks are not secular but merely surviving on their past history of being monopolies.
Another takeaway was that an average investor should go for the well established large cap stocks that show an increase of 20% Y-o-Y. While they will not deliver phenomenal returns, they will deliver above average returns in the long term. There are several that meet this criteria.

Confusing for me though was applying the principles to a stock like Hawkins at CMP of 3,530. The Sales and NP have not done anything remarkable since 2010. There are several companies that have more than doubled their Sales and NP since 2010. In fact the NP margins have come down! So while Basantji invested in this prior to margin expansion and says he will hold this share based on the growth story, my question is whether it really meets the principle of the stock giving phenomenal returns even from this point based on the track record since 2010?

Would you put money in Hawkins today at Rs. 3,530?

Trying to understand...
IP IP Logged
valueman

Quote valueman Replybullet Posted: 06/Jul/2015 at 8:22pm
Got the copy of the book "The Thoughtful Investor" today .I was not much active in the markets the last 3 years and after a long gap wanted to restart reading investment books and as a first step got Basantji's book "The Thoughtful Investor " . Though through TED ( from 2007 - 2012 ) I had access to some of his wonderful insights and discussions here ,I felt having a book that has his condensed wisdom will help me refresh my approach to Investing in Equities and I will share my feedback about this book later after I have thoroughly gone through it .

To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize ; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks .
Benjamin Graham.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 15 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version