Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Words of Wisdom
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Words of Wisdom
Message Icon Topic: Basant's Top Ten returns 42.6% in eleven months Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 03/Nov/2012 at 11:46am
Basant's Corner completed its first year of service last week. During this tenure the "Basant's Top Ten" portfolio generated a return of 44.5%. Adjusted for dividends, all 21 stocks are making money for our subscribers. We also had several free hits during these twelve months latest being our August 28th Top Ten inclusion (a high RoCE, free cash flow company) which doubled in less than 2 months. A feat that we cannot guarantee to happen but if it happens we will take it with both hands - again.

Finally a big "Thank You" to the subscribers for renewing their subscriptions in a generously overwhelming number. We look forward to another good year ahead.

P.S: We keep changing recommendations on a dynamic basis depending on Valuation/ any other for parameter for instance we changed the ranking of one of our Top Five stocks yesterday.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
Koti_gunda

Quote Koti_gunda Replybullet Posted: 04/Nov/2012 at 11:17pm
The kind of guidance you are giving is beyond any statistics. You are playing very critical role in moving our portfolio to next level.
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 05/Nov/2012 at 3:46pm
Thank you. I think the coming year 'could' be better.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
bandlab1
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bandlab1 Replybullet Posted: 05/Nov/2012 at 8:52pm
congrats the team for a wonderful year.

basantji, i have a money management question. if i join BC, how can i allocate my funds to your current buy list. all are equal or based on ratings, weightage changes ? also we have top 10, current buy list and universe. do we need to buy all of them ? also when you give a new recommendation to buy, do you give a corresponding sell or we need to arrange additional funds for new buy.

over the years i have learnt proper money management is very important. if we dont plan the allocation, we will not have money when we need it and we may over buy some at the cost of others

thanks in advance

IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 05/Nov/2012 at 9:08pm
The allocation of money is subjective i.e you put in more in the topmost stock and lesser as you go down the ladder; why should you buy all the stocks its like a Buffett table so you pick what you like though in the Gold365 we can dicuss the options in detail through "Ask Basant'. A corresponding Buy does NOT come with a corresponding sell why should we sell any company because we are buying another one but a I said you can through Ask Basant discuss the sell options from your existing lot.
IP IP Logged
bandlab1
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bandlab1 Replybullet Posted: 05/Nov/2012 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by basant

The allocation of money is subjective i.e you put in more in the topmost stock and lesser as you go down the ladder; why should you buy all the stocks its like a Buffett table so you pick what you like though in the Gold365 we can dicuss the options in detail through "Ask Basant'. A corresponding Buy does NOT come with a corresponding sell why should we sell any company because we are buying another one but a I said you can through Ask Basant discuss the sell options from your existing lot.

i am confused on two issues. i may be slow in clearly understanding or am i missing some thing

1. the top ten gave 42.6% return. is this average return assuming you put equal money in all the 10. or is it a weighted average return, buy more qty of top stock and less as we go down the ladder.  my first guess is average return. not weighted. if its weighted then the returns could be different. but i understand in the long run, the top stocks should give better results

2. if i hand pick few from the universe, i may end up buying the laggards. dont want to do that. is there any top 5 or 10 from universe ? or is it optional. if i have more money i may buy more of top ten instead of universe. i dont understand the concept of universe. if you have more money why not buy more qty of top ten. if its really that good, then it should be in top ten , not universe.

as per my initial understanding, if we try to build the portfolio matching the top ten considering the weightage, that should work well in the long run. without worrying about universe. my understanding is you dont give exit call for universe, based on the facts we need to take our own exits. 
IP IP Logged
TCSer

Quote TCSer Replybullet Posted: 05/Nov/2012 at 10:28pm
Basantji BC is an unique wonderful ,easy to navigatesite with so much of in depth information on companies .on top of it pain being taken by you In answering each and every query is amazing.

My returns would have been superb had I joined the site early instead of poor MF type of return.

People who are not members do not realise what they are missing out.

Keep up the good work Basantji and God bless you
Share market is nothing but a game of temperament. Success mantra Right Price,Right Business,Patience, Conviction .Do not do panic buying or selling.It may be the only profession where inactivity pays
IP IP Logged
raviteja02
Groupie
Groupie

Quote raviteja02 Replybullet Posted: 05/Nov/2012 at 10:58pm
Dear bandlab1

While fully appreciating your inquisitive nature, the only real way to enjoy the fruits of basant's corner is by joining it! I'm not sure if it's weighted average or plain vanilla average, but the returns could vary depending on the individual's portfolio allocation. There are stocks in the universe which gave double the stated 44.5% return and some which gave less. But let's not give too much attention to this lest we should ignore the larger picture of being a part of Basant's corner :-).

To answer your second question, yes there is something called "Top Ten" which are a subset of the ' Basant's Universe' ranked from 1 to 10, 1 being most preferred. Of course, these are as per Mr. Basant's perspective. If you were to have greater conviction on Top 2 stock, bet more on that!! This is where 'Ask Basant' comes into picture where you can ask questions specific to your portfolio and get answers accordingly. At the end of it, it is your personal conviction that matters. Have a read by clicking on "basant's corner' at the top and then read the column 'what we offer'.

Exit calls are also given, case in point, a stock that was suggested on Aug 28th just doubled in a matter of less than 2 months where Mr. Basant suggested 'trimming' the exposure for X reasons.

Also, why is it difficult to understand the concept of universe :-), out of 8000 odd listed stocks, some 15-20 are shortlisted based on certain criteria which is like searching for 15-20 needles in the grass feild the size of foot ball stadium :-). I would be happy for that.

All the very best!!!!!!
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version